Morning Reading List

The Capitals fell in regulation at Verizon Center last night for the first time since March 9, in a 5-3 loss that Coach Bruce Boudreau said his team played with the least amount of energy he's seen all season.

*Here are takes on the game from the Panthers' point of view, from the Miami Herald and Florida Sun-Sentinel.

*ESPN's Pierre LeBrun talked to Bryan Helmer and featured the 36-year-old defensemen in his blog yesterday.

*After reading about last night's game if you'd still like to watch highlights, here you go.

*Most of you saw the news about Sean Avery's indefinite suspension yesterday. If you'd like to keep up on what everyone in the Stars organization and others are saying about the incident, Greg Wyshynski has the best roundup here and here.

In the system:
*In case you missed it last night, Oskar Osala was named the AHL's Rookie of the Month for November. In 14 games this past month he had 10 goals, four assists and a plus-14 rating.

*After nine straight wins the Bears were given yesterday off. Hershey is still missing Jay Beagle (concussion) and Dean Arsene (abdomen).

*The Patriot News' Tim Leone has a story on Bears assistant coach Mark French and his impact after joining Hershey in January.

By Katie Carrera  |  December 3, 2008; 8:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Fall to Panthers 5-3
Next: New Lines For Caps

Comments

what are we going to do the rest of the season without a healthy Greeny,scratched Semin, and Feds bum ankle? And a overpriced goalie to boot? and an overpriced Russian winger (kozlov) and a got n heart Nylander (he's knows he is on his way out so why give it all -- all attitude)?

Team is in trouble boys and girls.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 3, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

looking at those highlights, i'm left to conclude that the caps won 3-0 and theodore was outstanding. jeez, can we see ALL the highlights please, not just the propaganda.

windjammer, i guess you'll just have to turn off the tv and read a book. buh bye.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 3, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

windjammersouth = cheef's partner in crime?

Posted by: kvarnson | December 3, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Puhleeze (eye roll inserted). Down that path again? It's early in the season, and yes, the Caps have lost at home and had an off game, but the FIRST home game loss in regular time! Seriously... No offense Windjammer, but get a grip. It's a long season and this was one game.

Posted by: vkova10 | December 3, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

windjammersouth with the copy and paste repeats, most of dannyboy75's, cheef's, and wendel's posts make me wish this blog had a filter or ignore poster option. They tend to make it hard to get to the entries that have valid, reasonable arguments.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm more interested in "highlights" of our defensive lapses and inept goaltending.

Posted by: Cerealman | December 3, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Take a breath people, the Caps are totally banged up and still playing (relatively) competitive hockey. Once our injured boys (1/3 of the team!) are back we'll be as dominant as other top teams...

Posted by: tURBO8 | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Tarik and Katie (and the WaPo sports editors),

Nice coverage of the Caps in today's print edition. But, there was a real lack of other NHL coverage. Nothing about Avery? What about other recaps? Nothing? Nothing at all? Doesn't the NHL deserve a full page at least. It wasn't even the weight room day for the Redskins practice squad so it wasn't like there were more pressing stories...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Oskar Osala! He's been a favorite of mine for a while now, and I hope we get to see him some this season - though NOT because of more injuries, k, thx?

Do we have more details on Beagle and Arsene? What about Grant McNeill? Is he back yet? I'd heard he had a broken wrist or something?

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Seriously folks, if you were cursing VS, it turned out to be a mercy killing. Inept goaltending? Well a couple of the goals were soft, but a couple of flucky goals went in as well. Personally I think he should have had the shot that went in off Alzner, but he was not expecting it and was relaxed and not focused, but hey only the best gaolies stay focused all game and we never thought Jose was "the best", just adequate for the job. Far worse was the lack of energy and effort.

As much as I hate to do so, I must agree with windy boy, Nylander is mailing it in lately, his points have come through the effort of his linemates. About EVERYTHING else though windy, gimme a break!

Posted by: majiksea | December 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Re: the Sean Avery situation, since I didn't weigh in before.

The comment he made was utterly classless.

Did it warrant a suspension? No, not really. Did it warrant a butt-kicking? Hell yes! Did they suspend him to keep his butt out of a sling? Probably.

The boy needs to have his mouth washed out with something distasteful for that one, because it was completely rude of him, and frankly, if so many of his "sloppy seconds" are running to other men, maybe he'd better take a good long look at himself and see why.

If I was his current, I'd dump him over a remark like that, and walk away with no regrets.

There's a word for men like that, and it's not for use in polite company - or among hockey fans!

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

windjammer is taking Cheefs sloppy seconds

Posted by: SA-Town | December 3, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town - *SNICKER*

I didn't think even Windjammer was THAT desperate! ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered

the avery situation should not have been a situation. why the hell would he get suspended for something like that? the answer would be gary bettman trying to ruin the sport of hockey.........and elisha cuthbert is smokin hot

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Avery was using his status as an NHL player to make the statement he made. He should have and was suspended. When you abuse any situation that gives you power you should pay for that abuse.

Posted by: majiksea | December 3, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't post anything last night as the censors would have never allowed it. Today is no better. This game was crap. Consider yourselves lucky if you stayed home and couldn't watch it. The 5-3 score makes it seem much closer than it was. I've seen a lot of bad games in my 20 years of watching the Caps, but I'm hard pressed to think of another game where we looked this asleep. Everyone, too. What made it so bad is that FLA generally looked like crap, too. They could have easily been beaten last night, even if only half of the Caps had showed up to play. I'm just upset I wasted 3 hours of my life on this debacle - I even left early, it was that bad, and I NEVER leave early. Heck, Brash couldn't even be bothered to find someone to fight.

Posted by: alpca3877 | December 3, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"The world isn't coming to a crashing halt. The Caps are STILL in first in the SE and there's tons more season to be played."

This sort of attitude is exactly why the Caps will NOT go very far this season. People here always find ways to justify poor performances and make themselves believe everything is fine.

I was at the game last night, it was the most disgusting performance I have seen in a NHL game for quite some time. No wonder the fans booed the team in the third period (and BB noticed it). No heart, no fire, no effort -- same as those that are milking their injuries.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo - I did say he probably should not have been suspended... but I stand by my comment: the remark was utterly classless, and Avery would probably be a wet meaty splat scraped off the ice, had he been allowed to face Phaneuf last night. I believe he was probably suspended for his own safety, and rightly so. I'd have kicked his butt too, if I'd been Phaneuf facing him.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I BOOED the team last night at the game. I have NEVER booed the Caps, and I have been a fan of this team for ten years now.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 3, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

dannyboy75,
You "boo" the team every day on this blog.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Report: The Carolina Hurricanes have fired coach Peter Laviolette, who led the team to the 2006 Stanley Cup championship. A Canadian news outlet is reporting former coach Paul Maurice will take over the team.

Posted by: Cerealman | December 3, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered

I wasn't attacking your point at all, you were just the only one that had commented on it. I mean who hasnt said "howd you like my sloppy seconds to somebody before".

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | December 3, 2008 10:11 AM
-------------------------------------------
Avery has no power, just increased visibility to say stupid things, which he's done rather well over the last 18 months. The fact that Bettman suspended him as a means to avoid retribution from the Flames when he doesn't address things like concussions/hits to the head shows how much he needs to be replaced.

There it is.

Posted by: Section117 | December 3, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Just another reason to dislike the Hurricanes ... Maurice is a schmuck.

Btw, I'm visiting some friends in Charlotte this weekend and planning to attend the Caps-Canes game on Sunday. I hope my first visit to RBC is a good one. "Caps fan in TN" will represent by wearing his Ovechkin shirt!

Posted by: Cerealman | December 3, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

well put section 117

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering why it was so difficult walking to the Metro this morning. The sky apparently really did fall last night. At least according to this space.

On several levels I like Avery. I like his in your face play, his goading the opposition into taking stupid penalties and a few other things. That comment was not one of them. It's a funny statement to make, but the environment was totally wrong. Time and place, Avery.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 3, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Paul Maurice, ha. Meet the new boss...

Posted by: Section117 | December 3, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The 5 minute boarding major handed out in the Flyers/Bugs game last night is hopefully the result of an increased awareness by the league and refs of the problem with hits to the head and concussions.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

We can not afford Bouwmeester, not at $5M+, which is what he will get in the open market. And unless Jacques Martin is completely off his rocker, he aint gonna be traded to us.

Now...
Is the goaltending suspect? Yes

Is the defense playing great/good? No

Do we have key players injured? Yes

Did we re-signed Erskine for 3 more years? OMG WTF

Was our record 10-4-2, before we lost Semin and Green to injury? Yes

Did we achieve this record with OV going through his longest scoring slump in his career? YES

Did we really re-sign Erskine for 3 more years? ROTL LMAO LOL AKA PABLO RSVP TTYL ALF

Are we able to play our type of hockey without our injured guys? Kinda, not really so much.

Where these the goalies in last years conference finals, Biron, Osgood, Fleury and Turco? Yes

Did any of them come close to winning the Vezina Trophy last year? No, unless you think 11th place is close (Osgood)

The way we play hockey is going to put pressure on our goalie and especially when we dont have all of our players. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not apologizing for Theodore, all I'm saying is that its not really fair to kill the guy when we are playing at 3/4 of our potential.

Our goaltenders arent going to have .920 sv % or a team 2.60GAA, it just aint going to happen, but we dont need that to win in the regular season or the playoffs.

What we need is more cowbell and a solid dose of healthy...

Posted by: JSchon | December 3, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo - I have never made such a classless comment in my entire life. :-p

@Section117 - what can we do about it? Who do we write to in order to complain about things like this? What documentation do we have proving that Bettman will suspend for BS like this, but not for semi-deliberate hits to the head, and other physically dangerous tactics?

As a side note, was Milan Lucic suspended for his hit on Brian Pothier that resulted in that season-ending concussion Pothier's still dealing with?

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Well typed, jschon.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered
Lulic wasn't even given a penalty for the hot on pothier and....take a freakin JOKE

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Why is this Avery thing even a big deal. So what if he ran his mouth. He does this, we all know it. The league is gunning for Avery and has been for ages. With good reason, don't get me wrong. But someone can lay another person up in the hospital and get suspended for a few games, but Avery gets suspended indefinitely for a comment? That's stupid. Let the team fine him or whatever he wants, but a league suspension was uncalled for, honestly.

Posted by: lloydrj727 | December 3, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

based on your summary... you don't see attitude/mentality problems?

Posted by: mauree | December 3, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo - that's what the :-p was for. ;-) I repeat: THBPPPPPT! ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered

tooshay

Posted by: _stevo | December 3, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

My slant on Avery...

What he said was not not only funny, but completely his right to say. He was answering a question.

I'd say something too if I were the jealous type.

Avery is an a$$, always has been an a$$ and will always be an a$$.

Every sport has them. Rodman, Barkley, Chad Johnson, TO, Randy Moss, Manny, Milton Bradley...

Are they idiots? Yes
Are they harmful? No
Do they add comic relief? Yes

Posted by: JSchon | December 3, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo - *snicker*

Re: Lucic/Pothier - was it a clean/legal hit? I've never seen it, to be honest, and I'm just looking for more information. If someone's gonna hit someone hard enough to potentially end their career, it seems to me something ought to be done about it if it wasn't a clean hit. If it was, jeez, bad luck on Pothier... From what I've been able to find, that was like his 5th concussion, yes?

What other examples do we have where someone was hit hard enough for injury, but Bettman / the NHL did nothing?

I'm not talking about clean hits like the one on Mike Green. That was a "dookie happens" hit, and Green even said it was clean; he just lost his balance. But dirty hits where there is video available?

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@mauree

No, I do not see an attitude problem.

Seriously? Do you see an attitude problem? I'm not in the lockerroom... And I haven't read any quotes that suggest any malcontent or negative mindset... My mind doesn't wander that much...

I try to base things on what I know.

What I know is that this team is missing valuable talent. Talent, that other teams couldn't compensate for. Talent, that missing on other teams, would devastate them. Everybody needs to chill "THE F" out.

Posted by: JSchon | December 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

from the last blog:

Re: ergoroc

you old fart. you're too old to have a pissing contest, you gotta have someone hold it up for you.

i didn't see the special entrance for old farts at the Verizon Center that's claiming to be a fan since 75. i'll give you a cookie if you ever show your face though for being a super fan.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The issue with Avery is not what he said but when he said it. If he had said it on the ice to get Deon off his game then there would not have been an issue, unless Dion broke Avery's neck.

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 3, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - that depends on your definition of "harmful".

Do we want our kids who are hockey fans thinking it's OK to call your ex- who took up with someone else "sloppy seconds?" I'm not saying that would happen; what I am saying is that it was a crude and classless remark, made deliberately in a rehearsed manner, and that is way not cool. I, personally, would not want my ex- to refer to ME that way...!

Did it deserve suspension? No, at least not from the league. I suspect he'll be reinstated fairly quickly, once the furor dies down, but I personally didn't think the remarks were funny; I thought they were crude, rude, and socially unacceptable. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - attitude as in "this will be an easy game, so we can let things slide," perhaps? Yeah.

Attitude like I see from some folks on this blog? No.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 10:50 AM
-------------------------------------------
Nothing.
Colin Campbell (maybe).
The NHL rules and by-laws, which Bettman cited for the Avery suspension.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Bettman wasn't suspending anyone, but take a look at the guys who've had to retire because of concussions. Those guys are eating applesauce 3x a day because either the rules aren't being enforced strictly, the referees aren't throwing players out, the equipment they're wearing is poor or substandard, take your pick. Bettman spends more time measuring goalie pad width but doesn't look at the helmets that skaters wear, some of which are flat out toys. Gretzky in the equipment he wore in his heyday now would be having discussions with mailboxes because of the head hits he would be dealing with.

Just my $.02 (US).

Posted by: Section117 | December 3, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@_Mark - Re: the 5 minute boarding penalty.

GOOD! We need to see penalties like that. The problem is determining intent. Was the player intentionally trying to injure? Anybody can say, "hey, it was an accident," - how do we tell for sure?

Sometimes it is an accident - like the hit on Green. Sometimes (and I did not see the hit you're referring to, so I can't speak to it) it's on purpose. On purpose hits from behind with intent to injure should always result in game misconduct and being ejected. Just my .02 - what does the official rule book say about it? Anybody?

As a side note, I also believe we should have a panel that reviews referee calls - and non-calls - and suspends refs for not calling dangerous penalties, like the spear to Ovechkin's "produce section" a few games back, and a hit on Backstrom in a game that looked like it should have been a boarding call, but was ignored.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Lets be honest...

There are far worse things on TV and readily available on the internet than Steve Avery's quotes about his ex sleeping with his co-worker.

I don't know if you're a parent, but that's the parents job to educate and filter what is right from wrong, not Steve Avery's job.

Posted by: JSchon | December 3, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if the Stars owner was saying what he felt people wanted to hear or if he meant it. If the league lifts the suspension, I wonder what his next step will be.

Avery is that pest that is easy to hate when he is on the other team, but when he is on your team, you probably love him. That being said, if one of our players had said that, I would still consider it classless and out of line.

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - I am a parent, and I do my job.

A lot of others don't. Which is why we have so many kids out there thinking they're entitled to everything. But that's a discussion for another blog.

I stand by my remarks: the comment was out of line, and should not have been made. And it IS Steve Avery's job to censor himself for the venue he is speaking in.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Here is my two cents for anyone who cares (and I really don't think its too many of you)... For those fans that are angry and disillusioned...you have a right to be. How many years has McPhee been trying to put a Cup winning team together? It seems as if every year there is a single element that is missing. Essentially, McPhee took a hockey club known for years for their defensive skills but lack of scoring...cleaned house and rebuilt putting the exact opposite together--high scorers with no solid D. A lopsided team isn't going to win you the Cup...what it will bring you is what we've seen so far this year...flashes of brilliance and abysmal play.

Regardless of our injured players, there has to be something done about the D...and in terms of Theodore...

Truly, I think his issues are all mental. That being said, he had a lot of off ice crap to deal with in the last several years, which definitely affected his play(father and brothers in jail, propecia, Paris Hilton). It sounds as if he's gotten beyond most of this, so don't write him off just yet. The bottom line is he's our goalie for better or worse and I think the fans just need to get behind him which will definitely boost his confidence and his play.

Posted by: luvfades | December 3, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

On Avery- Can't we talk about hockey?? Even the NHL on XM is focused on this. Let it go!

On the game - I can't believe I drove the hour from Fredericksburg and paid $20 for parking for the privilege of watching that game.

On the CAPS - Congratulations! Last night's game was a huge success! You managed to complete 60 minutes of hockey, ending the game with the same number of players you started with!

Seriously, just not losing anyone at this point is a success. If you would have told me that we would lose this many players and still be in first place at this point in the season, I would take it in a heartbeat. Just wait until we get everyone back. We should be able to really push the rest of the conference.

I still think when we get healthy Nyls is gone, possibly along with a forward and Jurcina to make room for another high end dman and to keep Alzner here. Salary wise, Nylander, Clark and Jurcina equal Alzner and Bowmeester (or someone like that).

Erskine should get more credit here. He was signed to be a number 5-7 dman. That is what he does for us. That is also what Shultz is. But he is being put in to a top four rotation and needs to be dropped down. Alzner showed his youth last night, but I still think he is ready.

Mo/Green
Poti/new guy
Sarge/Alzner
Erskine

Sloan is first call up. Jurcina is gone.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 3, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Re: Lucic - Here's an article in the NHL news from yesterday. Seems like a nice enough guy. No mention of Pothier, but that was not the spin of this article - it's a "feel good" get to know him piece.

Posted by: vkova10 | December 3, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Avery is an idiot, and at first I thought the suspension was just to protect him from getting destroyed in the game. Was it funny? I kind of chuckled. Was it classless? Yeah. Did the league over react? You betcha.

I thought it was interesting how it seemed like each of the Stars players interviewed seemed like they couldn't stand Avery

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 3, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What is going to happen when you put a mic is someones face and ask them about their ex-girlfriend sleeping with your co-worker?

My guess is that it will probably be emotional at the very least.

Posted by: JSchon | December 3, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Lucic again:
I wanted to add, that he's really a beast on the ice - I am sure you can see the video on YouTube when he checked into the boards in Boston and clean shattered one. It was crazy. Just burst into a million pieces.

Posted by: vkova10 | December 3, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

the Lucic hit was a good clean one. Hard but clean. Pothier just had his head down for too long and wasn't braced for it.

Look, this team like any team will have its ups and downs. What is bothersome is that when you look around the league, its hard to put the Caps in the same class as the top 3 or 4 teams. The Sharks handled us so easily and frankly they didn't look like they had to raise their game to do it. The frequent energy dropoff on this team along with its lack of quality defensemen is very troubling.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 3, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 3, 2008 10:18 AM

I don't think its players milking injuries. Like McPhee said, everyone has a different pain tolerance. And for whatever reason, most Capitals players have a lower tolerance for pain. Call it a lack of mental toughness.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 3, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@luvfades

In the old NHL you would be right. But the new league demands speed and offensive ability. Do we need defense? Absolutely! Our problem is not that we don't have talented D, just that they are so young. Mo, Green, Alzner, Carlson, Godfrey, Shultz, etc. is a great stable. We just need to allow them to grow up.

GMGM is doing just fine. Leave him alone.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 3, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon, irockthered

I'm talking about underestimating a weaker opponent, and letting go of the accelerator unless we're in "desperation" mode.

I certainly do not know hockey as much as you do, but when I watch games other than the Caps I can tell the teams that play their system independently of any opponent from the teams that don't. We're in the group of teams that don't.

That's not necessarily a bad thing... in fact I'm coming to terms that we won't be dominant all the times, despite having the best talent in the NHL...

In my mind this attitude will come back and bite us in the end. Does that make me less of a fun? I don't think so :D

Posted by: mauree | December 3, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 Re: Lucic - that is what I was looking for; thanks!

@vkova10 - WOW, that was a huge hit! Clean, too. That confirms what I wanted to know.

So to sum up, Lucic is just a big beast, and he hits hard. It wasn't his fault Pothier wasn't ready for it. Just bad luck on Pothier's part. It sucks, but there it is.

Still, there ARE players out there who do deliberately hit to hurt, and something should be done about those sorts, more than it is. The 5-minute boarding penalty mentioned earlier is a good start; let's see if it keeps going.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75

I'm not necessarily blaming all the team woes on GMGM--but don't you think someone should have accounted for the youth and balanced it with a seasoned veteran? We are missing that one Brendan Witt or Mark Tinordi...

Posted by: luvfades | December 3, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I chuckled too. But is it all Avery's fault? The whole world knows he has no filter between his thoughts and his mouth. So the media says, "Hmmm. Need a good quote and Dallas is in town. Let's talk to...Avery. He's always good for one."

And he produced.

A hearty "here, here" to JSchon on his 10:42 posting. This team is constructed for offense and some defense. We are not looking for a Lundquist between the pipes. We're putting the money on the front lines.

Games like last night will happen when you use a lot of green kids and expect them to play like seasoned pros.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 3, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@mauree - when the Caps play their system, they are utterly unstoppable. That is what Boudreau has to emphasize to these guys: play the system, play for grunge goals, dig. There is no team in the NHL that can beat us if we're on!

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

so here it is.......bring up Laing....
it isnt fair to bring up mink and ask him to go from top line scorer to 4th line shut down grinder..Laing could help our defensive play and pk. Yes he has to clear waivers but so what he is a ufa and the end of the year anyway so use him or lose him. This team needs to restablish a 60 minute work ethic and defensive responsiblity and Laing is the best at this that hershey has. I eagerly await the wrath of the naysayers and a better suggestion to get the Caps out of their lack of effort funk that was painfully obvious last night

Posted by: wendel2 | December 3, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Sources tell TSN the Carolina Hurricanes have fired head coach Peter Laviolette and in a unique about face, have replaced him with former Hurricanes head coach Paul Maurice.

Posted by: rarcr | December 3, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@wendel2 - the problem with bringing up Laing is that he would have to clear waivers. While that may be possible, it's also a risky move, and one I don't know if we're ready to do. But you are right. Laing DOES have a good work ethic, and he IS defensively responsible, and we DO need that.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered

that's basically my point too.

Posted by: mauree | December 3, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@mauree - *NODS EMPHATICALLY!*

Boudreau does have to take a group of young, eager defensemen and turn them into seasoned veterans, with very little time to do it in, and that can't be easy.

I firmly believe that once the injured start coming back, we will see this team start a run that is just going to be scary.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse