Morning Reading List

To start things off here is Tarik's story for the hard copy edition about Alex Ovechkin returning to Russia to be with his ill grandfather.

From The Tennessean: Capitals can relate to Preds' Radulov saga.

Nashville City Paper: Preds gear up to face Caps.

Looking ahead:

*The Caps play the hot-starting Sabres on Saturday and Ottawa handed Buffalo it's first loss in regulation last night.

*In case you missed it, yesterday the International Ice Hockey Federation officially announced that Buffalo will host the 2010-2011 world junior championships.

By Katie Carrera  |  October 28, 2008; 8:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Could Miss Two Games
Next: Morning Skate

Comments

First! That is the Caps are first in my heart and the SE! Let's go Caps!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 28, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from last thread:
"On a different note why do certain people still feel the need to be so negative. So far in this young season the Caps have:

The joint leading points scorer
Chased one of the best goalies in the league
Beaten the Pens in Pittsburgh (despite a 3 goal start for the Pens)
Beaten serial playoff team Dallas in Texas
A winning record
A share of the Division lead

All this despite:

Injury to 1st line forward
Injuries to two Dmen, including a top 4 and most experienced D man
Injury to main enforcer
5 of 8 games away from home
Having to play our 2nd line centre on D due to injuries
Having to play a Dman with no previous NHL experience for a 3 game road trip

Come on people. We could have been in a much worse position, look at Tampa."

Boo - I've finished reading, now just the massive task of the response!! :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 28, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

@ Dave -- Yes, the Caps could be much worse off, like Tampa. But Tampa was terrible last year and is rebuilding. The Caps started out terrible and became awesome down the stretch. So Tampa is still Tampa, but the Caps are somewhere between the team in Oct-Nov and the team in Jan-Feb. I love to see more of the Jan-Feb Caps. I want to see them dominate the Preds tonight and whip some sabre a$$ this weekend. I want to see them rush past Carolina, not be tied with the Canes. In other words, I want to see them live up to their potential they proved they have last season. So far Semin and Federov are playing even better than last year. I really can't say that about anyone else, with the possible exception of Green and Morrison.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 28, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Somebody has probably already answered this in another post, but can anyone explain to me WHY I can turn my TV on tonight in D.C. and watch the Flyers and Thrashers, but I can't watch the Caps?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 28, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@badkarma723 - it is because of Versus, who is broadcasting the game in other markets and has an exclusive contract to do so. It is, however, blocked out tonight at home because it's a home game, and they want people to go to the arena and watch there.

It's the same reason I grew up in Terre Haute Indiana unable to watch the Indy 500 on television when it was 72 miles away. Local blackouts.

On the bright side, Versus is not running TOO many home games this year for the Caps...

Posted by: irockthered | October 28, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Jim,
I agree. I'm not saying we are world beaters, BUT some posters here think the sky is falling.

The fact is we haven't been at our best and have had to face early injuries yet have still been capable of producing some good performances.

I picked out Tampa because I seem to recall them claiming the SE was their's in September.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 28, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Tarik or Katie,

I thought I read somewhere, one of the agenda items in the GM meetings was to discuss ice conditions. Did you hear anything about that?

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | October 28, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS:

I'd include Fleischmann in the list of those playing better than last year too.

Posted by: kenjabi | October 28, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Well that...sucks.

You can't even catch the game at a bar somewhere that has a satellite or something???

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 28, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

irockthered, it has nothing to do with a "home sellout" NFL-style rule. Versus designated the 7-9 slot as a "Versus exclusive" broadcast. So no other game (in the US) starting at 7 is allowed to be broadcast. Last week's tuesday game was okay because it had a 9 PM start.

Posted by: koalatek | October 28, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

badkarma723, if you live in the US, you won't get anything other than the Vs. game. Carolina and Tampa fans have 7:30 games, but unless they know a place that gets TSN or RDS (both are Canadian versions of ESPN), they won't see it either.

Posted by: koalatek | October 28, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

@ Dave -- yes, I love seeing Tampa suck so bad after all that loudmouth crud coming out of their ownership's mouths. I do not think the sky is falling either, I just would love to see the Caps go on a real tear soon. The injury complaint doesn't work for me, however, because Semin, Clark, Nylander, Morrison, and Poti all had serious injuries last year. The Caps are not playing up to their potential yet -- far from it.

@ Kenjabi -- you are right, so right, Flash is playing so very much better. He should have had his first hattrick against Dallas. He was robbed twice -- once by the post and once by Turco

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 28, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The game will not be on TV at all. Its not a local blackout. Versus owns the exclusive right to show NHL games on Tuesday from 7-9. They pick the game they are showing and all the other games can not be televised. I blame the NHL for scheduling more then 1 game in this time slot.

Posted by: _Tim | October 28, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

koalatek, irockthered, thanks for the info...i'll be sitting next to my radio like it's 1944 tonight, hoping the Allies fight their way out of the Normandy hedgerows.

Versus = poopy...at least for today.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 28, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@badkarma723 and others:
Listening to a game on the radio is not the end of the world. Those of us who are minor-leaguers get all of our away games that way. Your radio guy Steve Kolbe is really excellent, and listening instead of watching actually forces you to use your brain a little bit. It'll be ok.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 28, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

First it is not true that other games cannot be televised! Carolina is on Fox Sports South, Boston is on NESN, Colorado on RSW, Pittburg on FSPI, etc. There are plenty of games on Center Ice tonight. The bigger question may be, why don't all you avid fans and hockey experts pony up for a ticket? I see you there in my season seats! See you tonight Greg!

Posted by: majiksea | October 28, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Should be an interesting game tonight. With everyone keying on 28, here's hoping 14 stays hot, and someone else starts finding the net tonight (cough, Clark, cough cough).

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@badkarma723

Enjoy the game on the radio. There are rumors that President Roosevelt might address the nation tonight. I hope for you sake he doesnt. He is planning some b.s speech about fearing fear itself...Who knows?

Posted by: SA-Town | October 28, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

tess2201, SA-Town; hahaha, I was just goofing. I do listen on the radio quite a bit, especially when i'm stuck in my car...and I do like Steve Kolbe a lot. He's a great announcer.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 28, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to go to the Caps-Preds game tonight. But I'm 600 miles away.

I hate Versus. Just for today. Actually, I've always hated their name. I should go back to calling them "the OLN" again.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 28, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Cough, cough, not only Clark, but Nylander, Green, Backstrom, and Fehr could all find the back of the net, cough, cough that might help, cough, cough

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 28, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse