Morning Reading List

While we wait for updates from today's practice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, here's a look at the New York Islanders, who the Capitals visit on Tuesday. The Islanders have lost eight of their past nine games including their first six contests in December, and are in the middle of the "demolition phase" of rebuilding their franchise according to Newsday.

*The Islanders have given up a league-high 109 goals and most recently, they suffered a 3-1 loss to the Blue Jackets in Columbus.

*A strained groin kept Mike Sillinger out of the game against Columbus and it's unclear if he'll play against the Caps tomorrow.

*Center Doug Weight, who is in his 17th NHL season and one of a few bright spots for the Islanders, is four points away from the 1,000th of his career. He would be the 73rd NHL player to accomplish the feat.

*Per the Elias Sports Bureau, Simeon Varlamov is the first goaltender to win his NHL debut in Montreal since the Rangers' Hardy Astrom did so on February 25, 1978.

*The Hockey News' Ryan Kennedy takes a look at how success in the minors is helping the Capitals weather this injury storm.

*Steve Kolbe, the radio voice of the Caps, was featured on The Hockey Show's "Voices" segment last week. Here's a clip from the show.

*As many of you probably saw yesterday, the Dallas Stars have opted to part ways with Sean Avery. Here's a smattering of opinions on the matter from the Dallas Morning News, and Scott Burnside and Greg Wyshynski at Yahoo.

In the system:
*UPDATE: Stefan Della Rovere was named to Canada's National Junior team earlier this morning. This weekend, Della Rovere scored two goals in the second of three scrimmages during the selection camp.

*Perhaps it's a good thing the Bears don't travel to Texas all that often. Hershey dropped its second straight game 6-1 to Houston on Saturday when the Aeros scored goals on five consecutive shots.

*People across the AHL are rapidly growing familiar with rookie Oskar Osala.

*Bobby Goepfert was called up to Hershey this weekend.

By Katie Carrera  |  December 15, 2008; 8:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 2, Canadiens 1
Next: Monday Morning Update (Update)

Comments

We will not trade for Huet. Why? Because he will bring the length of contract that was a deal breaker in the first place. The cost per year was not the issue between the Caps and Huet, it was the fact that he wanted a 4 year deal, and based on Varlamov's debut on Saturday night you can see why GMGM did not want to go more than 2 years. Varlamov will be ready to take the reigns with BJ as a back-up by next season. Theodore will be an UFA (I think, because he will be a vet with only 1 year left on an existing contract) this off-season so maybe someone will want him. I doubt it though.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I do not want Huet back with his 5 year $25M contract, or whatever it is.

When we are have our entire team playing and are able to dictate our style of play, you can have a web producer as a goalie.

We went 37-17-7 with the majority of those games played by Olie and Brent. We went 37-17-7 with mostly 1 scoring line. We went 37-17-7 without Flash playing the way he is. We went 37-17-7 without any assistance from Clark and Nylander... um, and this year too.

Come to think of it... We have gone 55-37-10 without Clark either in the lineup or producing. Nylander, has a slightly less appalling record.

Posted by: JSchon | December 15, 2008 8:38 AM

Posted by: JSchon | December 15, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1:

Exactly. We don't want a four year goalie, and if you watched Varlamov in Montreal, you know exactly why. Theodore is a placeholder. He was always intended as a placeholder. That he's not delivering and Johnson is makes the goalie situation over the next couple of years a little complicated.

I'm not completely sure about seeing Varlamov/BJ next year, though. It all depends on what we do with Theodore. I for one am not completely sure it's wise to simply throw Theodore out the window after 30 games, and as good as Varlamov was, he made some mistakes and got real lucky three or four times. He's still getting used to the North American style of play, and it shows. I think one more year in Hershey with call-ups at need will do him a world of good.

The other question is, what will Johnson want if his stats are that good, and what can we afford to pay him? I think that will dictate who we go with next year. Can we afford to pay him what he's worth on the market, and does he want to stay with the Caps? These are all questions that we don't have the answers to yet - it's still early to speculate on this.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope Bruce skates the team hard in practice today. They seem to be more focused after a hard skate/practice. This game against the islanders scares me a little. Sometimes we play down to the opponent. A win would go along way to our quest to climb the latter to get among the top of the East and give us some seperation from Fla. and Carolina.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 15, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

@kittypaws

Ty Conklin last year won 18 games and had a .923 SV% and a 2.51 GAA and was a free agent...

What was his reward? 1YR $750,000.

There is not a huge market for journeymen goalies, and their certainly isn't a market for overpaying for journeymen goalies.

Brent Johnson is playing for a contract not a big contract.

BTW... I emailed that clown Scott Cullen from TSN.

Scott...

Where do I start? Actually, I only want to talk about the Capitals. You have them tucked away at 21st. You have them surrounded by teams that have losing records, c'mon you have Ottawa ahead of them? The fact that the Capitals went 4 - 6 with their 2nd leading scorer out, their 2nd line center out, their top defensemen and QB out, their 2nd best defensemen out, their 4th best defensemen out, their Captain out should speak volumes about their depth. There were 15 -10 - 3 at the time of your rankings... Where will they be now at 18 - 10 - 3 with wins over the Bruins and Habs? They have the 6th highest point total in all of hockey and have done it without 65% of their point production for 10+ games.

Maybe you are just watching hockey through Maple Leaf shaped glasses.

21st is a joke and so are your rankings.

John Schonacher

Posted by: JSchon | December 15, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@kittzpawz: Hopefully given BJ's age, and his durability he will be reasonable with his expectations. I agree with Varlamov getting more time in the minors this season, but IMO the Caps will be holding him back if they make him wait until the 2010-2011 season. We will be stuck with Theodore's salary next season and if BJ won't be realistic we could always have a time share between the pipes between Theordore and Varlamov next season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

IMHO you will NEVER see Huet in a Caps uni.......ever. He stabbed GMGM in the back. Besides we do not want his over inflated contract. JT and Huet are about the equal. They are good goalies, but you will not win the big one with them. They are both capable of stealing a few games for you. I don't see JT going anywhere this year.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 15, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@capsfannmiss:

Yeah, we do, and we don't dare do that here. The Islanders are near the bottom of the league right now, and this is a home game. They are desperate, and they're going to come out hungry. We need to play the same high-flying game we brought to Boston, Ottawa, and Montreal, and we're going to be rested enough to do it.

As for us challenging for the top in the East - we're in third in the East (not just because of the division, we're actually third in the East in points) - and only three points shy of the Rangers. If we keep flying high like this and can shake the injury bug for good and all, we can catch them. We're currently on pace for a 48/26/8 season, 104 points, if we can keep it up at this level. I dunno about you, but that looks kind of shiny to me. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

We're DOOMED! We're playing the Islanders. We're DOOMED!!!

Jk

Posted by: JSchon | December 15, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon and fanohock1: Cool, so we might just be able to keep Johnny.

Realistically, then, it all depends on Theodore and what he does or doesn't do and whether he forces GMGM's hand. *shrug* Given the season as it is so far, I'm just going to sit back with the popcorn and watch, and we'll know what the score is closer to the end.

Maybe you're right on Varlamov. I do know that goalies take longer to season and I don't want to break his confidence by throwing him into the fire too soon, not if we don't need to.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The boys this morning on the NHL network are saying:
#1 That Chicago needs to trade one of the goalies because they have two starters competing for time.

#2 If they do trade one, the one that makes the most sense is Khabibulin given that he is a UFA for next year and they have Huet signed for two more years.

Although I like Opita's plan of offering Santa straight up for Khabibulin, I don't know if the Hawks would go for it. Not sure we controll Santa's rights.

Jschon- Your post last night with th line about not being able to afford take out, should get you awarded post of the year. That was side-splitting funny.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 15, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Also, HEY GUYS! Della Rovere made the Canaadian world Junior Team!

Link: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/58868/la_id/1.htm

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

And I got beaten to it. Must have missed that in the morning list. *sheepish look*

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Hey- just wondering here. How come Katie doesn't get a mug shot for the post every morning, when she is the one who writes it? I mean, I'm a big fan of Tarik, but fair is fair. Maybe we can start a petition for her to get some recognition.

Also- now that the Redskins have proven they are death on whole wheat, does anyone think we are going to see better/more coverage of the ONLY first place team in this city, by either the Post or Comcast?

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 15, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Capsfanmiss. We will never see Huet in a Caps jersey, and that's fine with me. I was actually on vacation in Palatine IL, a northern suburb of Chicago, visiting family when I found out Huet went with the Blackhawks. At first I thought the Caps low-balled another needed player and was upset with my Caps. Found out shortly after that I owed Ted and GMGM an apology because they had offered Huet a great contract, but the length of the contract was an issue. I didn't blame Huet for his decision, it is a business, and the Blackhawks are the Caps of the West. The deal ended up being best for all involved.

Funny story though, actually got a call from my Uncle the other day and he was cussing about Huet giving up a late two goal lead and the Blackhawks eventually losing in a shootout, to the hated Red Wings no less. Huet only gave up 1 goal in the shootout and the Blackhawks didn't score any, but he was telling me we could have him back. Huet did get a slow start but his GAA is less than 2.5 and his save pct is above 91%. However, I went on to tell him that we don't want anyone back in a Caps jersey that doesn't want to be here.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I like shiny!

As for the Islanders, the fact that they are sitting at the bottom of their division at 10-18 does NOT an easy game make, and the Capitals do need to step it up in the perceived "easy" games, and this one is important.

The Rangers play the Ducks on Tuesday, and if the Ducks can beat them, and if we can beat the Islanders, that will leave the Rangers at their existing points (42) and take us to 41... Their next game after that is the Kings, and I don't see the Rangers having trouble there, but it could still happen...

But we need to come out of New York with at least one point, preferably two.

Never thought I'd hear myself say I was cheering for a Ducks win........ :-p

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

YAY for Della Rovere! :-) He'll make a good Cap when he grows up. Congratulations are in order!

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Just read that interview with Oskar Osala, and I can't help it - I get more impressed every time I hear something come out of that boy's mouth. He's not only a good hockey player, he's a terrific all-around guy, and in another few years, he'll be mentoring the new players from Finland - and other places - because he just comes across as that kind of a guy. I like Osala a lot, and the Caps are very fortunate to have him in their organization.

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to JSchon of giving me a vision of that Cullen guy, looking like Elton John with those Maple Leaf glasses and maybe a Don Cherry suit to boot.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 15, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

JSchon

I thought the same thing about that guy. However, I read an article about his process of ranking the teams. I don't think he has any input (judgment) into the rankings. I believe it is strictly statistical.

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 15, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@lamplighter1: No. The Times might - the Pothier article made front of the sports page in the print edition - but the Post is unlikely to until after the Super Bowl, and maybe not then.

I wonder how much of it is related to the fact that most of the Washington Post editors and journalists lean in pacifistic directions? We know they do, and hockey is a rough sport. My friend's daughter brought a friend who was raised pacifist to Friday night's game, and I think it kind of shellshocked her. Wonder if it's the same thing?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Hawks, apologies for the repost, but if you haven't read it, you should:

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@blahblahblah73: If so, how do you explain a 21st ranking for a team that is fifth in the league in points, fifth in PP%, 18th on the PK (and perfect in their last five games), and sixth in the league in faceoffs? Carrying a goalie (BJ) who is 10th in the league in GAA and in SV%, and a forward who leads the league in +/- and another who makes the top of all of assists, goals, and points? That was won their last three contests, beating teams above them, with an injury list that would destroy most teams' seasons? Nah, 21st is BS.

But if he wants to leave us at 21st, I say let him. Let the big boys read those and blow us off. :D He can be stupid, we can be underestimated, and I'll accept a couple of standings points for it.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Top 5 of goals, assists, and points? Sorry, my bad.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I have an idea on how the equation starts.

Canadian teams = +5
Canadian teams with Canadian stars = +8
Non-Canadian teams with Canadian stars = +3
Non-Canadian teams with Sidney Crosby = +5
Non-Canadian teams with European/Russian stars = -5
Non-Canadian teams with European/Russian stars that are better than Crosby = -15

Posted by: JSchon | December 15, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

OK, no Huet for JT due to contract and bad blood (although I still hold that Huet is MUCH better than Jose between the pipes). I'm all for resigning BJ for a responible price -- responsible in that the Caps need cap space for Semin, Flash, and Fehr.

I still think trading away Nylander and his hefty contract for a defensive defender is worth doing. Do the Isles have anyone worth trading for? I previsously suggested Witter or Sutton. They are old, solid veterans whose best years are behind them, but may work well for the Caps. I know, I know their contracts are not great, but Nylander's is terrible. The Isles are having a fire sale in a rebuilding scheme, so maybe the Caps can find a bargain of sorts.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 15, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

@ Jschon -- probably the right equation, esp. regarding the irrational lovefest for Crysbaby.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@Section117 - That's a really cool story. Sad that the people commenting on it are all jerks. It really highlights to me just how well-behaved Caps fans are, in general, even with the occasional troll on here.

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree that we need a veteran defensive defenseman but not Witter PLEASE. He was a liability the first time around. He never developed into the superstar that held out after being drafted that he was supposed to be. He always took bad penalties and skated like he was in quicksand. He wasn't even great in his prime.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I think his methods (rankings) stinks. I emailed him last year about his ratings regarding either Ovi or the team during their run. I believe at the bottom of the ranking their is an explanation of how it is done. Once that happened I kind of stopped looking at them.

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 15, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

JSchon

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 15, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

from TSn Brian Sutherby to Stars

Posted by: billd2 | December 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 15, 2008 9:30 AM
-------------------------------------------
Alright, who had 12/15 at 9:30AM in the pool?

Don't forget, there's still the Wizards/college hoops. Even at 4-17, the Zards will still (inexplicably) get the lead for the most part.

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

P.S. There's also forget Nats Spring Training, that'll kill the stretch run of the regular season too.

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Linked is the Don Cherry comments about the caps,tampa players......funny !
From CapitalsKremlin blog

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 15, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Re: Brett Hull - dude has to watchh is step now, with Avery being sacked (sortof).

Let's keep the Caps exactly the way they are for a while. No trades, just callups from Hershey when necessary. WE. WILL. BE. FINE!

1) We're 3rd in the eastern conference for real - points too, not just because we're first in the Southeast.

2) If we win our next two, and the Rangers lose, that will put us in 2nd in the eastern conference. Our next two games are eminently winnable, IF we bring our A game. We are sneaking up on the Rangers, 3 behind at the moment, and the Rangers are only 4 behind the Bruins. Mind, the Bruins are playing the 'Leafs next, but still... it's within reach for us to take the conference, if we keep winning.

3) This is EVEN WITH a team so depleted by injury that last game, we had only four solid blueliners for the last third, and STILL won the game!

When the Caps are healthy, good things WILL happen. Just watch. You'll see!

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see what Three-or more looks like in a Stingrays uniform! Keep SV up here, please!

Posted by: majiksea | December 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Wonder how Witt is enjoying being stuck on the Islanders now?
He did leave here because he didn't want to go through the rebuild.

Posted by: cleanfront | December 15, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry lovin on the Caps??? Must be the BB connection. I love when he says that he loves OV after saying he was overrated, a flash in the pan -- ha! Fickle Cherry. Still can't get over the jacket.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

On the Washington Post and hockey, I know for sure that Tony Kornheiser totally disses the sport, along with soccer. His buddy Wilbon also mainly covers the NBA and NFL.

Posted by: Bartolo | December 15, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse