Morning Reading List

While everyone from fans to teammates, coaches and Capitals management was pleased with Simeon Varlamov's NHL debut on Saturday, the team is going to take things slow with the 20-year-old goaltender. He'll remain with the Caps until Jose Theodore is healthy, then return to Hershey where he can continue to prepare for the future.

*Here's the video of Varlamov's interview yesterday with Sergei Fedorov translating.

*NHL.com took a look at another Caps rookie, Karl Alzner who is fourth on the team (third among defensemen) in ice time with an average just over 20 minutes per game. The 20-year-old also shares some of the advice he received from Brian Pothier and defense partner Milan Jurcina.

"I talk to (Jurcina) a lot and he always tells me to open my mouth on the ice because it makes it a lot easier out there," Alzner said. "He just makes himself available so I can move the puck quick. I also spoke a lot to Brian Pothier, who reinforces that I should continue to play a simple game. The guys always stress that it's not a problem to make the easy plays by just getting the puck out of the zone if there's no other option. It's nice to have those older guys there to help my confidence."

*In the two teams' last meeting, the Capitals help get the Islanders off to this six-game losing streak when they beat New York at Verizon Center 5-2 on Dec. 4.

In the system:
*Is there anyone in the hockey world still unaware of Oskar Osala? He was featured in NHL.com's latest prospect profile -- in which Hershey Coach Bob Woods compares him to a young Keith Primeau.

*Kip Brennan left his Finnish team, HIFK Helsinki, and it's possible he could return to Hershey.

*The Barrie Examiner takes a look at how Stefan Della Rovere went from off the radar to making the cut for Canada's National Junior Team, and the paper also caught up with Della Rovere's parents to see how they were handling the news.

*Let's continue the goaltender focus that has permeated all things Caps as of late. Braden Holtby had a stellar performance for Saskatoon on Sunday making 37 saves in the Blades 2-1 shootout win over the Regina Pats. He leads all WHL goalies with 20 wins.

By Katie Carrera  |  December 16, 2008; 7:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov: 'I Will Not Be Afraid of Anything'
Next: Morning Skate Update

Comments

the team is going to take things slow with the 20-year-old goaltender

Good call, Caps. Let's not burn him out too soon, and more time in Hershey could only do him good. Like others have said, I like that he challenges skaters, but it could bite him in the butt until he gets more experience with it.

More good news out of the system. I liked Holtby in development camp. A college kid who can stuff Alex Ovechkin repeatedly in practice impresses me.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

@ kittypawz -- I agree, let SM learn the North American game in Hershey, fill out physically, and work on his positioning, rebounding, and timing fundamentals. Someone compared Varmy (I coined this phrase from Locker's mispronunciation) to Jim Carey. Carey is a case of brought up before he was ready. His lack of fundamentals, esp. timing, ended up killing a very promising career.

As for the depth in the Caps system. This team is built for the long haul -- sweet.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 16, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

ya holtby was very good in camp, we have some great goalies in our system who, when they are ready for the NHL will be great. it's nice we have depth everywhere, makes me confident as a fan, confident that this high I feel right now can very well last for years and years because they organization has built itself to make sure they have talent everywhere. CAN'T WAIT FOR TONIGHT'S GAME!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | December 16, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree Kitty, on both goalies. I want to see Varlamov playing games regularly and continuing to adjust to the North American game. He'll get that at Hershey. Next year will be his year unless something drastic happens.

I look forward to Holtby in the off season next year coming in to camp and impressing. GMGM may have pulled one out of his hat in Holtby and time will tell.

We have a pretty bright future and present. Sweet!

Posted by: _Mark | December 16, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS - *snicker* Varmy? Varmy the Varmint? I actually like the nickname "Iron Curtain" for Varlamov...and @both, I definitely like that he's getting more time in Hershey to accustom himself to the North American style of play.

@SZALACH7 (last post) Re: JoeB and Locker drinking game...

Let's see what we can come up with:

You had...

* Mustard on that
* puck = biscuit

and now I'm blanking, but there are a couple of catch phrases I hear almost every game that make me snicker... I think some new rules are in order. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

There was a drinking game on the Caps message boards that was pretty extensive. If you followed it, you likely wouldn't make it to the third period. It was quite funny.

Joe B and Locker are very entertaining and they do add something to the game. Maybe they aren't going to please the "purists", but I enjoy their mix of information and entertainment.

Posted by: _Mark | December 16, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I know I heard a few more:

* goal - "basket"

I also notice that Locker'll use a phrase once, then fall in love with it and uses it continuously for the rest of the game. An example in particular was one game where he termed a goalie making a stop as " says no" and it got pretty annoying when he did it continuously.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

@_Mark - for those who want pure play-by-play, there is always the option of turning the radio on and the volume on the TV off. News-Talk Radio 1500 AM does a good job of a running commentary, and they are streamable online with minimal scatter problems.

I, personally, like Joe B and Locker as commentators. I can follow the game well enough, even on television, without needing a running commentary of what's going on... and the point of a drinking game is to be drunk, innit? ;-)

On another topic, I, too, was impressed with Holtby, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do...

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Every time Locker says Varmalov take a drink. :)

Posted by: _Mark | December 16, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"My backup plan was if hockey doesn't work out, at least I learn a new language." Oskar Osala continues to impress. He sounds like a lot of fun, and an amusing kind of guy.

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

twig = stick -- hope Locker doesn't mix up twig and biscuit with twig and berries

Oh what a great move on the dipsy-doo with his twig and berries to the basket

Varmy also needs to take English lessons -- his Russian accent with Amish German-English will be awesome: "Da creeze need clean"

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 16, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

irockthered,
Agreed on the radio feed except one thing. It has been a while since I listened to the radio and watched the game, but it seemed there was enough of a delay from TV that it throws you off. I will happily listen to JoeB and Locker when I am watching on TV.

Drunk is one thing, passed out is another. :)

Posted by: _Mark | December 16, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I also love that Varmy says "play" someone must teach him, "Play on, Garth"

His mullet needs to be clipped too -- yikes

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 16, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

on a side note, does it bother anyone else that you can't pause the NHL network videos?! crazy!

Posted by: BoomerTSFX | December 16, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I know somewhere on one of these threads its been discussed, but is the game on tonight on CSN?

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Smart ! Send the kid back, let him get ALOT of playing time and mature. He is also getting a life expierence adjusting to a new living habits,cluture and such. Like I said before we do not want another Jim Carey (flash in a pan). Varlamov's time will come. We can manage with JT/BJ combo.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 16, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: Nope, the game is on versus and it IS being televised in HD.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 16, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I say let the kid start one more game with the bigs before we send him down.

The kid desrves it.
Heck we deserve it.
I deserve it.
I'm a mess without you.
I miss your scent.
I miss your musk.
I miss your laugh.
When this is all straightened out, you and I should get an apartment together...

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: I hear they make really lifelike inflatables. :D

What do you think? Start him vs. St. Louis? I think he deserves having a home game and hearing the home barn before he goes down.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Awesome 40 year old virgin quote

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 16, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz,
Sounds like a new product line that you could pitch to Fathead. Lifelike inflatables to go along with their wall clings, hmmmm.....

Posted by: _Mark | December 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@JIM

Not 40 yr old virgin...

Anchorman... Quote from Champ Kind to Ron Burgundy.

Yes, give the kid a home date. Show him what he will be getting from us.

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Uh... Champ I think you should sit the next few out.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | December 16, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

some more Locker quotes...

"That save was a dandy"
"There is the old tic-tac-toe play"

I'll take it tho when its our goalie making the "dandy" save or our PP finishing off a nice "tic-tac-toe"

Posted by: sexypills03 | December 16, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

jschon, Kitty,
I like that idea as well. A home game for Varlamov would be nice. On a Bobblehead night, the Verizon center should be rockin', so Thursday works.

Posted by: _Mark | December 16, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I was on the message boards on ESPN yesterday and specifically the "Power Rankings", and most non-Caps fans are giving us our credit. They typically have us as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East and most of them have us in the top 5 in the entire league.

My top 10
1. SJ
2. DET
3. BOS
4. WAS
5. PHI
6. CHI
7. PIT
8. NJD
9. MTL
10. VAN

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Another great Lockerism:

"Dent the twine," after a goal.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: Somehow I think the phone booth will go nuts for him. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of starting Varlamov vs. St. Louis. Yeah, he heard us vs. Ottawa, but he wasn't the focus. Being the focus is a little different.

Of course, that's the feel good choice. I'd be a bit more secure starting Johnny, I'll admit, and I wouldn't fault Boudreau for going that route. OTOH, Johnny's still nursing that sore hip, and I think Varlamov is less likely to get run by the other team.

Speaking of running ... Japers' Rink brought up the topic of fighting majors and us getting kind of abused. According to JP, we've got the second-fewest fighting majors in the league, and it's showing a little bit. Anyone else looking see Brash or Bradley drop 'em tonight or Thursday?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Do we call our fans the "Red Army"?
Why wouldn't we?
The Cold War is over...
We have many comrades on our team...
We wear red at home...
We should be the "Red Army"

Here are the lyrics to the Soviet National Anthem, we can sing it after every goal.

Unbreakable union of freeborn republics
Great Russia has welded forever to stand!
Created in struggle by will of the people
United and mighty, our Soviet land!

CHORUS:

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,
Bulwark of people, in brotherhood strong!
Oh! Party of Lenin! The strength of the people.
To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have cheered us
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead!
To a righteous cause he raised up the people
Inspired them to labour and valorous deed!

CHORUS

In the victory of Communism's deathless ideal,
We see the future of our dear land
And to her fluttering scarlet banner,
selflessly true, we always shall stand!

CHORUS

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Ok, maybe the anthem thing is overboard... a little...

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm buying a Ushunka hat...

Posted by: JSchon | December 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@ Jschon -- I could have sworn it was the scene in speeddating when David (Paul Rudd) runs into his ex (Amy, Mindy Kaling) -- great quote, thanks

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

HEY EVERYONE,

94 HERE AND I AM TRYING TO GET SOME PEOPLE TOGETHER FOR A LITTLE VIEWING PARTY AT THE DAYS TONIGHT. I SPOKE TO A PERSON AT MISTER DAYS AND THEY SAID THAT IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COME, THEY COULD SET ASIDE AN ENTIRE ROOM. I HAVE SEEN SOME PRETTY BIG CROWDS FROM HERE SO I AM DOING A CALL TO SEE IF I CAN GAIN ANY INTEREST.

SUPER IS ALREADY ON BOARD WITH HIS WIFEY, I AM BRING 4 OR 5 PEOPLE SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME SHOUT IT OUT.

Posted by: numero94 | December 16, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Detroit is still winning , but they do have some issues this year. Their power play is keeing them on the winning side for the most part. They are giving up alot of shots on goal, and Ozzie has been ordinary at best.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 16, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Tarik and Katie, I just have to say that you two do an outstanding job with this blog. I wish the Wizards' bloggers were even half as good as you two...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 16, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: Um, no. *swat* No, thank you.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

How about this one JSchon?

Hail Hail East Germany
Land of Vine and Grape
Land where you'll regret
Any Try to Escape
No Matter if you tunnel under
or take a running jump at the wall
Forget it, the guards will kill you
if the electrified fence doesnt first.

East German National Anthem.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 16, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@numero94: Whoa uppercase. Remember that all uppercase on the Internet is shouting, and try not to do that if you can avoid it please?

As for the invite - that depends. Where is the venue? If it's NoVA, I'll have to say no, but if it's in Maryland or downtown, it might be doable.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I thought I would bring something to everyones attention that really got me hot under the collar last night. I was watching Channel 4 news and they had a story about the Redskins season being over by Pat Collins. His intro into the story was "Now that the Skins season is virtually over what do we have to look forward to.......hockey???" it was said in a very degrading and sarcastic way....I was screaming at the tv saying yeah, we have one of the most exciting talented groups in the NHL you ass!!!! I plan to go onto their website today, email him and give him a piece of my mind and I encourage the rest of you great Caps fans to do likewise!!

Posted by: PhilR | December 16, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@philR

Get used to it.

I like football, but I hardly consider someone who watches their team play one game a week, and a season ticket holder that goes to a max of 8 games a year a true sports fan.

The Verizon Center will be full, and the media will follow. I have plenty of friends that are usually more into the Wizards, and they are tuning into more hockey, and looking to go to Caps games instead of wasting money on the Wiz.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 16, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I definitely agree that Varly should get a taste of what the home crowd has to say when he makes a good stop!

On the other hand, the home crowd is also very unforgiving when the goalie messes up, and there's something to be said for shielding the boy from that. :(

I'm of two minds here, but I'd really like to actually get to watch the "Iron Curtain" in action at least once before we send him home.

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@philR

Pat Collins email address was listed on New4's website.

pat.collins2@nbcuni.com

my roommate already wrote one angry letter! she's a little intense when it comes to the capitals.

Posted by: coatesolivia87 | December 16, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

another Lockerism when on the telestrator:

"Stop it right here, STOP IT HERE!"

Posted by: ChrisinSS | December 16, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@numero94 - which Days where would be the important question for me. I'm not driving to Virginia on a work night...

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Locker "Lets drop the mitts"

Posted by: _stevo | December 16, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Would that be:

Mister Days Sports Rock Cafe
3100 Clarendon Blvd (Corner of Washington & Highland)
Phone: 703-527-1600

?

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"where mom keeps the peanut butter" - Locker

Posted by: reesem37 | December 16, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Re: JoeB and Locker drinking game...

tried that once....i'll never do that again.

Posted by: coatesolivia87 | December 16, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

ahh yes, stevo just secured some 9th row tickets for the game in philly on saturday....not much better than heckeling some philly fans in their own building

Posted by: _stevo | December 16, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo - just be careful. Philly fans are animals, and they will bite when provoked.

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I still think Locker's best quote of the year so far was the comment about "the produce section". That about killed me.

I'm afraid Virginia on a work night doesn't work for me either. Saturday night is fine, but a work night is not.

@Stevo: Nice. Just be careful, dude. This is the City of Brotherly Fisticuffs.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz - The City of Brotherly FISTICUFFS?! ROFL! If that's how they treat their brothers, I'd hate to see what they do to their enemies...!

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@94

I'm down and can convince 2-3 to come with me. What time were you thinking of heading over?

Posted by: Fro_ | December 16, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

philly fans are much worse when they come down to dc than they are in philly, i've been the past 2 years and they weren't all that bad. Jersey fans were much worse

Posted by: _stevo | December 16, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

That was Joe B. who made the "produce section" reference!

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 16, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I dig the ushanka, but I really want to find a cap like Fedorov wears.

Posted by: uncatim | December 16, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Suggest that when you email Mr Collins, you cc Ted. Perhaps we can make him pay for the comment by having him sit with Ted where we can BOO him when he is shown on camera.

Posted by: majiksea | December 16, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

A 1 p.m Flyers game should be tame. Just dont act like a jerk and talk trash.

If someone is out to get you and throwing stuff at you or cursing at you..ect.., just go to the usher and ask to be moved.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 16, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

That interview with Federov translating is soo funny. I speak Russian and its pretty hilarious how Federov is trying to translate Varlamov's responses into much longer responses then they really were. Varlamove responds with one or two word answer and Sergei elaborates on everything. Good for Sergei to make the kid look good.

Posted by: lightshow | December 16, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Pat Collins is a doofuss,a goofball, and he doesn't know a hockey puck from a cow chip but do give him a piece of your mind.I have been a long time washington fan of skins,wiz,and the nats(since their return) caps off and on but i admire how they have built a winner and their fan base is solid and loyal i always watch them when they play the thrashers(i live in atl.born and raised in dc moved here two yrs. ago) and i follow them on Versus and i have Dir.TV and i watch the postgame show with Joe B and Locker.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | December 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

majiksea,

That sounds like a good idea. What is Uncle Ted's email address??

Posted by: PhilR | December 16, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm real late with this, but about the JoeB/Locker drinking game, bonus points if we ever hear "produce section" again

Posted by: superpaqman | December 16, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 16, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Damn I see I was beat to it a couple times`

Posted by: superpaqman | December 16, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 16, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think of one thing that Locker always says about 15 times per game. Oh, I wish I could think of it, it'd be a guaranteed drink.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 16, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

JSchon, I've already got a Ushunka. My wife is always unhappy when I wear it in public, but I think it's a cool lid.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 16, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the Caps, just wanted everyone to take a look.

That Mr. Days would be in Clarendon. Sorry for everyone not from around here.

We are heading up there at around 6:30 to settle in and make sure we have a place with sound. Should be relatively dead bc no football so we should get a pretty good place to sit.

I will be the loud on in the away 94 tonight so come up and say hi. Super and I will be ther along with 6 to 10 people so come join us.

Jschon....Long time no see... You gonna come out?

What about you Stevie R?

Posted by: numero94 | December 16, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone so afraid of going into Philly?

Ive seen thing thrown at people in Washington, NJ, New York..it happens everywhere. Just go in cheer on your team and dont act like a tool.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 16, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

This post includes a drinking game, not specifically for Joe and Locker, but for the Caps as a whole. Pretty funny. http://www.dccheapseats.com/?cat=580

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 16, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

After the way we reacted after game 7 last season, I find it hard to complain about anybody else's fans. That was dispicable.

RE: Drinking game. COME ON folks. You all are missing the best Locker-ism out there.

K-A-B-O-N-G!

All joking aside, Joe B. is world class play-by-play talent and we are lucky to have him.

And I'm probably a bit late but, is anyone else furious about the game on Sat night? Comcast had it here. NHLNetwork had it nationwide. Comcast dumped it to CSN+ (no HD) and it was blacked out on NHLN-HD. (Bumped for Terps vs. Del. Sate basketball. Really?!)

There needs to be some changes in the way blackouts and exclusive rights are handled in sports.

1. If you have rights but choose not to show, others can show.
2. If you have rights and choose not to show in HD, Others may show in HD.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 16, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

By the way, anyone know who I can call/email about this CSN/CSN+ situation. I had to go down to see the rents this weekend and low and behold the 4-18 last place Wizards were playing the 10-14 Filty 76ers. Yet another fantastic loss by the nation's capital's worst team.

While 18-10-3 first place Cap's playing a 16-8-5 entertaining Canadians were relagated to CSN non high definition PLUS. My rents didn't even get that channel and I missed watching "The Future" in his first game.

Can anything be done? I am absolutely tired of hearing about the 7-7 Deadskins and the 4-18 Injards.

Posted by: numero94 | December 16, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Email to Mr. Collins was sent... anyone have a video of the segment from last night?

Posted by: Groovemaniac | December 16, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this one has already been said or not but a classic lockerism I hear at least five times per game is "no doubt about it" with that crazy Canadian accent on "doubt." My wife giggles every time she hears him say it.....

Posted by: PhilR | December 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I do not have the video I am sorry to say.....Heck, I almost busted my tv it annoyed me so....

Posted by: PhilR | December 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I cc'd my email to Collins to Ted at washingtoncaps@aol.com and the response in about 5 minutes was

Pat--may I invite you as my guest to come to a Caps game?

Please join me in the owners box with your family-- you will have a great time--what do you think? Best, Ted Leonsis

this one sent to Pat Collins and cc'd to me. i told Collins he did not have to be Tom Cruise to be invited into this owners box and Leonsis proved me right very fast. He is such a quality guy!

Cheers everyone, Merry Christmas, Rock the Red

Posted by: majiksea | December 16, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

We need to mobilize Capitals fans to correct the absurdity in the All Star Voting. At the moment, OV is in 6th in forward voting behind 3 Montreal fowards (Tanguay, Kovalev & Koivu).

I expanded on this in my TSN blog:

We need to vote!

Posted by: bill_in_damascus | December 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Just got an email back from pat collins... the response "Thanks."

That was it.

I was always a huge Collins fans for as long as I can remember... he really dropped the ball on this one.

2 minutes for lack-of-thought imo.

Posted by: Groovemaniac | December 16, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, guess it was Friday's game that was bumped for MD Basketball. Sat's was bumped for the Wiz.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 16, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Blast from the past quotes by guess who:

"He took one to the coconut."

"I think that might have knocked a couple of chicklets loose."

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | December 16, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

and there you see the big rig using his twig to put the biscuit in the basket just as Pronger comes over and kabongs him, Caps have the worst lead in hockey it's a 2-0 game.
Varmalov's lookin sharp

Posted by: redlineblue | December 16, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You guys know that Locker is hammered drunk for just about every Caps game right? I think under the circumstances he does OK.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The email I sent Mr Collins:

You know Pat normally I enjoy your reports but the opening sarcastic swipe you made at my beloved Washington Capitals and hockey in general last night was completely uncalled for. This town is darn lucky to have such a young, exciting, and talented team to call their own. For you to come out and say that because the Skins are done and the Wizards stink that we as Washington residents have nothing more to look forward to but "hockey" in that degrading, sarcastic, nagging voice of yours was completely disgusting. I also plan to email Mr. Leonsis to explain your complete lack of respect for his organization and when they are lifting the Stanley Cup in the next couple of years I hope even the towel boy won't grant you an interview. I will continue to watch News 4 as I like Jim, Doreen, Bob, and Lindsay but whenever your name or mug appears on my screen the channel will be immediately changed.

Someone who used to like you,

Phil Rogers

Posted by: PhilR | December 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Agree on the Feds hat. He always has some goofy tuk on yet makes it look stylish.

Posted by: walt6812 | December 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Last comment on Joe B and L.
I'm sure they are nice people, my rant wasn't on them personally. they missed reporting that three caps were out the entire third period in Montreal, enough said.

Posted by: billd2 | December 16, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

You guys are all giving Mr. Collins a hard time. He was speaking for the majority of D.C residents in his piece.

The truth is, that non hockey fans in DC are going to be forced to open their eyes to the game if they want to see a winner.

You shoudn't give him such a hard time because he is stating the obvious, and his target audience is majority "Non Caps fans."

Posted by: SA-Town | December 16, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Pat Collins - I thought he died a few years ago. Maybe it was just his career? Yes, nothing better than sitting in a cold, rainy, emotionless, no energy Fed Ex Field and watching your team lose. Or win, if you are one of the thousands of visitors fans who bought tickets on craigslist from Skins fans who can't be bothered with a Sunday night game.

Collins should see us Rock the Red, or sit with La Barra at a DC United game if he wants to see a great game and the passionate fans!

Posted by: walt6812 | December 16, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Roger, appreciate the invite, but with working in Baltimore I'm going to have to pass. It's tough for me to get on that side of the beltway during the week.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 16, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

billd2

That does drive me nuts, but I would put that on Locker more than JoeB. I don't think I can expect the play-by-play guy to follow line combos close enough to know when guys are missing.

But when I'm picking up on lines that "look odd" before Locker says anything, that's just sad. I like Locker a lot, and prefer JoeB/Locker to JoeB/Olyczyk(or however you spell Old-Check)/Whatever other color guy VS gives Joe B.

the MON game was pretty bad, but usually they fill us in after they have an intermission to parse some data. But not once did we hear "Odd, Laich is centering Ovie/Semin... wonder what's up with Backstrom..."

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 16, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@majiksea - Way to go! I hope that he takes Ted up on it. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought the produce section comment was Locker. My bad. Priceless no matter who said it.

Agreed that we acted disgusting at the end of game 7. The Flyers fans around me acted disgusting through all of both games I attended (1 and 7). Maybe it's me.

@majiksea: That is frickin' awesome that Ted would do that. Hope this Collins dude shows up. Hey, maybe if we're nice instead of rude and drag him to a game or three, we'll have another convert instead of another snotty news anchor dissing the only successful sports team in Washington right now.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 16, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

It's funny, I almost never watch the news, and I was watching yesterday and happened to catch his hockey comment. Every other Washington sports team (well, with the exception of DC United, as they're a good team) WISHES they were the Capitals. I don't care if he was aiming it at a "non-hockey fan crowd," it was still rude and shows how completely out of touch he is.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 16, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
It's been asked before. It will be asked again. Please let us stop asking. Where the hell did Feds get that badass tuque.

I need one.

Sincerely,
Defense Wins Championships. (retired)

Posted by: large23220 | December 16, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny. Fedorov looks like a professor there, so deep in thought. Old master Yoda in a tuque.

I speak Russian also and was trying to hear what Varlamov said Fedorov told him before the game, which Fedorov couldn't figure out how to translate, but Varlamov is very soft spoken and someone in the background was saying something loudly, so I just can't make it out.

BTW, for the 100th time people it's VAR-LA-MOV. So he can't possibly be nicknamed Varmy. Varly, Varly! If you remember Varly maybe you'll remember that L comes before the M.

Posted by: ranndino | December 16, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse