Morning Reading List

The Caps were given today off from practice, but we'll start things as usual with Tarik's story for the hard-copy edition: Semin Picks Up Slack for Capitals.

The Tennessean's take: Preds avoid one Russian, lose to another and also some notes on Dan Ellis' play, which was a large reason why the Predators were able to force overtime.

For those of you who haven't seen them yet, here are highlights from yesterday's non-televised contest. There's no sound on the video.

*SI's Michael Farber discusses Alex Ovechkin's "twilight-zone" slump.

*ESPN's Pierre LeBrun got a chance to talk to former Caps netminder Olie Kolzig about how he's adjusting to life with the Lightning.

*Speaking of former Caps, as some of you noticed yesterday, Ken Klee was claimed off waivers by the Coyotes.

By Katie Carrera  |  October 29, 2008; 9:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals Beat Predators in Shootout, 4-3
Next: Thursday Morning Reading List

Comments

This is 2008 right? They couldn't have taken the radio audio and played it during the highlight segment? And what is with showing multiple angles of non goals? Pointless...

Posted by: amorris525 | October 29, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Fist, I mean first.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Shame that game wasn't on tv. The Preds first goal on the pp, the one-timer slapper that Tarik mentions in his article was a thing of beauty. My seats are down very low on that end and after the perflectly placed one-timer, everyone around me was of course disappointed, but all you heard was "Wow, nice shot" and "That goes in on anyone."

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 29, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

showig multiple angels of non goals show good defensive plays or good saves. Highlights are not just goals. You watch Highlights to see them not hear them.

Posted by: cocorules | October 29, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Looked like the Dan Ellis highlight reel.

Thanks for the highlights, Katie. What? You couldn't do a voice-over for the highlights? :)

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@coco

Yes, but hockey isn't a silent game. Where's the sound of swishing skates, crunching hits, rifle shots and the ping of the goalpost? Hockey on mute isn't much fun at all.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 29, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

when did Mike Green start playing forward?

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | October 29, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Any news on why Johnson didn't get the start last night?

Posted by: kvarnson | October 29, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@kvarnson

I think it was just a gut feeling. Jose played good again last night.

First goal was a lazer beam, and one goal deflected off of a shin.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow Ellis looked great; he totally kept the Preds in the game. JT also looked great towards the end. That last one looked impossible: JT was in the right place and the puck just pinged twice to take a weird angle. I'm sorry that I got po'ed at him last night (early on that is). Semin is a beast this year!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

For those of us not at the game, that was a fun recap to watch. Sound or no sound.
Thanks!

Posted by: orson72 | October 29, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

kvarnson.
BB said he went with a gut feeling to start JT. It was in the blog.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | October 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread, but for what it's worth, The Goat was NOT at the game last night. A few courageous souls tried to take up the mantle, but to limited success. Someone said Horn Guy was at the game, but there certainly was no horn. It was a very very odd experience, given how we're all used to those two being a presence at every game. Slapshot's drum and the cowbell were not getting it done. Unfortunately, this will just embolden those from other cities who mock us for needing external prompting to get a cheer started. I agree that we came alive, though, after the many lousy calls (and non-calls) by the refs, and after the "Unleash the fury!" video (and the later "Victory" video in overtime).

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | October 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the reading material

Posted by: superpaqman | October 29, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the video. Could not be there last night, and listening to the game on the radio just did not provide the same insight.

Is it just me or did Nick look better last night? In the video there are several times where he battles for the puck and wins, has strong passes, etc. I know he had that early penalty, but still seems like he is improving. Saw the interview where he mentions feeling guilty. We were all rooting for him in my house to get that shootout goal.

Love Semin's little into the boards celebration after his pass to Steckel and the fact that he did an interview after the game. The young man is really maturing.

Posted by: Kim-3 | October 29, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Semin picks up the slack???????

What a stupid headline. Semin has been THE MAN so far: 8 goals, 8 assists: = Alex2

Posted by: johnbear1 | October 29, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I sit near, as in 2 rows up from Sam (aka the Horn Guy) and I can tell you he was not there last night and was sorely missed by my fellow STHs and me.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | October 29, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | October 29, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Who was in his seats last night? You are closer than I am, but i did look over and thought there was a guy with beard etc in his seat. I am not far to the side of Sam.

Posted by: majiksea | October 29, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Scott_in_Shaw: Agreed. I think that DC folks don't get started easily - you have to push it pretty hard - but when we do, we can be a loud bunch. The place was crazy during the shootout. You could feel the difference from about "Unleash the Fury" on, and it just escalated through overtime into the shootout.

The "REF YOU SUCK" shout was pretty rousing, though.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 29, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Damn...you just gotta love this guy.

Semin said he received an inspirational text message after warmups from Ovechkin, who returned to Russia yesterday to visit his ailing grandfather. Ovechkin missed the second game of his career -- and first since the 2005-06 season -- and saw his consecutive-games streak snapped at 203.

"He asked me to say hi to all of the guys," Semin said through an interpreter. "And that he is with us."

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 29, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... so much hostility about content, videos without sound, article titles, etc.. Really?!? I'm just thankful for what we get. (There's a whole gift horse or beggar or something story in there.) Thanks Tarik and Katie! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | October 29, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

So how 'bout that boy, Semin? He's looking pretty good, huh? C'mon you Semin haters, how 'bout manning to a little crow?

Posted by: Landshark | October 29, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What time is today's capitals report?

Posted by: kvarnson | October 29, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Katie, do you or Tarik think you could do a piece on what the players think of the fan chants? if they can even make out what is being shouted?

Posted by: superpaqman | October 29, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I find reading that the game was not broadcast on CSN in Washington.

I live in Delaware, in the Philly market, and all the Flyers games are broadcast. It doesnt matter what teams are playing on VS, CSN still has the game broadcast..obviously if VS is carrying it, we can tune in there.

Why doesnt CSN broadcast the games on their channel when the Caps are not playing on VS?

I know, I know..the whole VS game of the week or whatever the heck they call it, but most of my friends who live in around the country see all their games on TV regardless of what VS is showing as well.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | October 29, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@Kim,

Nick looked a hell of a lot better last night. He had a jump in his step and was taking chances, trying (and succeeding) to stickhandle through a crowd, winning pucks. He looked great and his pass to Semin for the PP goal was a beaut. Hopefully he keeps playing with that sort of confidence.

I'll have to keep wearing my Tre Kronor jersey to games.

Posted by: _jordan | October 29, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all2000
A quick check of the Flyers' schedules shows that all of the Flyers games scheduled for a Versus exclusive night are the games that Versus picked. They also have a weird 2PM start for the Nov. 11 game (outside the Versus exclusivity window)

Posted by: koalatek | October 29, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman: Seconded. I'd be really curious to see what the players think of the fan chants and the crowd. How does "Unleash the Fury" affect them?

Posted by: kittypawz | October 29, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure they can at least hear us and make out what we're saying, as we can hear them calling out for passes and stuff.

Posted by: _jordan | October 29, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@ majiksea:

Not to sound like a stalker, but his girlfriend was there with someone who could've possibly been her brother. I don't really want to speculate on who was with her, but I just know Sam was MIA.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | October 29, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@ majiksea:

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | October 29, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

No horn guy, very strange. Someone tried to start the let's go Caps chant without him and it was kind of weak.

The "Ref you 'are less than optimnal'" chant was also kind of lame. But to be fair, they had a weak call on Clark (I think) in the third and the non-call on the borderline hit on Green where he did turn away from Ward, but Ward really unloaded from behind anyway. It wasn't like it was such a terrible missed call as to get us all worked up. In other words, I've seen worse.

As for the crowd generally, you know, we're definately a quiet crowd. I'm not sure why. Personally, I think its enough of an upscale crowd that crazy yelling isn't really possible. I, for one, need to be able to talk at my job the next day. Appluase, yes. Screaming, no.

And, at the risk of being very unpopular, can we please, please retire "Unleash the Fury"? Any crowd revving device that uses Tom Green should resuly in a massive fine from the league. I know it works, but jeez, its Tom Green; let's have some pride. It might be as lame as when the Wiz-bangs put the Dallas Cowboy sign on the scoreboard to get people to boo during free throws.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 29, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

although unleash the fury is kind of motivating, I agree with Oldtime about the TOm Green affect. I propose a youtube contest. Put together a 30-60 second motivational video for the end of caps games, using highlights, rocking music, or whatever. Then winner gets a "that-a-boy." and we will send the video to the caps. see if it works.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 29, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Alexander Semin is THE BEST!!! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 29, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Despite the presence of Tom Green, unleash the fury needs to remain a staple for years to come.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | October 29, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The caps need to get rid of the clips from Varsity Blues. Everytime I see one I want to hurl myself from the upper deck.

Posted by: kvarnson | October 29, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kvarnson | October 29, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kvarnson | October 29, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

everytime i see a link to a caps blog on the caps blog on every comment i want to hurl on my computer.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | October 29, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Please stop Kvarnson

Posted by: DaleHunter | October 29, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I like Unleash the Fury (mainly because the crowd gets into it), but if it's time has passed, then so be it. That said, it would be most un-wise to do away with the intro to Welcome to the Jungle...

Posted by: Fro_ | October 29, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

There is a part in the new movie "The Express" about the story of Ernie Davis, the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy and how he led the Syracuse Orangemen to the national championship in the 1959 season - Coach Ben Schwartzwalder, played by Dennis Quaid, is in the locker room during the championship game and he gives them an impassioned speech which ends something like "...don't let them steal history from you."

That should definitely be added to the video montage!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | October 29, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we just get rid of music for one game and just have the organ guy get the crowd all rowdy?

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | October 29, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

fyi:
Bears at Hamilton tonight at 7:30. Audio available free on www.sportsjuice.com beginning at 7:10. Video of the game available as pay-per-view on ahl.com

Posted by: tess2201 | October 29, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

fyi:
Bears at Hamilton tonight at 7:30. Audio available free on www.sportsjuice.com beginning at 7:10. Video available as a pay-per-view on ahl.com

Posted by: tess2201 | October 29, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

kvarnson, please stop spamming the boards with your blog. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 29, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@mnmnt_snow:

"Don't EVER play lady of Spain again!!!"

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post...stupid work computer!

Posted by: tess2201 | October 29, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Katie:

Thank you for the video!

Posted by: AMHV2772 | October 29, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

haha

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | October 29, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Semin was amazing last night.

Posted by: bagasome | October 29, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Lots of us here read other blogs, but if you want us to read your blog, you need to put it on dchockeydaily. Spamming the list with your URL will bring few readers, but will piss off many!

Posted by: majiksea | October 29, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I think that it is true that the crowd is prone to be quiet and save their shouting for when it matters. DC, being a political town, is very conservative in its behavior and society (if not its politics), and tends to frown on rowdy behavior, I've found. It's also true that going to work with no voice the next day isn't very professional, and a lot of store is set by "professional demeanor" here.

I can scream that long and not lose my voice, but doing so is a vocal technique, and it takes some training to do that successfully.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 29, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I found this on a Pred board today.

"Also, if you’re frustrated at about not being able to see tonight’s game against the high-flying Washington Capitals on television, don’t blame the Predators. Versus picked up the rights to televise this contest, but opted to show the Philadelphia-Atlanta game instead."

You can take just a minute of your time and register a complaint HERE

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 29, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 29, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

We can always hope Versus realizes that the Caps are the exciting team to show on their channel, for their advertisers...

Or maybe they need their viewers to witness another boring 7-0 flogging before they get with the program (literally) and show these roller coaster Caps games that keep people locked in for the whole event.

Posted by: austinsteve | October 29, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Any of those montages are likely to have goofy parts somewhere but the Caps need to keep Unleash the Fury. I was there last night and everyone really responded. It was my buddy's first Caps game and he thought it was great.

Nicky played his best game by far last night, particularly on the back check. In the last 10 minutes of the 3rd he was everywhere, very aggressive and with a work effort. He probably foiled 3-5 good shots on goal by himself. Very good to see.

JT was JT. Missed an easy one (the 2nd) but stopped 2-3 that should have been goals. It will be like that all year. If he can just stop the ones he's supposed to stop we will be in good shape.

Green looked semi-interested in playing defense last night and did well.

All in all, a good performance in a game that should have been over in the 1st.

Posted by: ChrisAm | October 29, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the inconvenience. Didn't mean to cause any trouble. Won't happen again.

Does anyone else think that Morrison has played poorly this year? He doesn't look like the same defenseman. He takes bad penalties and is out of position a lot. Don't mean to criticize him too much ( he was great last year ). I just don't think the caps are getting what they paid for.

Posted by: kvarnson | October 29, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

there really is a simple solution for the blackout when games are on Versus......it is called delayed broadcast. Start showing the game after Versus goes off the air, at least we could watch the action even if we know the score...how hard can that be?

Posted by: RichC3 | October 29, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Bears update:
Things are not going well. Bears losing 3-0 at the end of two periods. Hamilton scored on a power play in the first, and got a shorty and an even-strength in the second. Machesney in goal for Hershey. Hamilton goalie is Marc Denis, formerly with the Avs (and the Bears), Columbus and Tampa; now under contract to Montreal but has been playing only in Hamilton so far this year.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 29, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Really not going well. 5-0 with 3 minutes left to play.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 29, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Final: Bears lose 6-0....ugly.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 29, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Bears got walked on 6-0

Posted by: cocorules | October 29, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I bet I'm like countless others that turned on Comcast Sports Net last night and was disappointed to see some lame college (or high school?) football game. Doesn't say much for Comcast.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | October 29, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Umm, dude?? No feed for the game last night had nothing to do with Comcast. Its completely a Versus issue. Read pretty much every post between yesterday morning and now.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 29, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

^Doesn't Comcast own Versus????

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | October 29, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

@kittypaws,

"Conservative"...THIS town...please!

Our fans may sit one hand and sip their cocktail with their other a little too often, but this ain't conservative!

Wish it were true, though;)

Posted by: WCAPS1 | October 29, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal,
Right you are. Oops. I guess I should say that it wasn't CSN's fault.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 29, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... Semin is ranked #1 - OVERALL - on the TSN player power rankings:

Posted by: Boo- | October 29, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

@WCAPS1: Politically? No. This place is as crazy-liberal as it gets.

Socially, culturally, it's very conservative - a lot of that is political influence. People downtown wear classic styles and sober colors, and the loud people are typically out-of-towners on a march or similar. We don't have a whole lot of musicians in subways (the saxophonist by the phone booth is the exception, not the rule), and people just don't talk to each other all that much on the Metro, especially in the mornings. If you make noise on the Metro during the morning commute, people look at you funny. :D It's really a very staid place compared to say NYC or San Francisco.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 30, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

The sax guy at Gallery Place/Chinatown is good luck.

Posted by: _jordan | October 30, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

From the way it looked last night Marc Denny is trying to make it back to the NHL sooner rather than later. The Bears are not an easy team to shut out and they played well.

Posted by: majiksea | October 30, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

If Marc Denis replaces Carey Price or Jaro Halak without any injury being involved, I'll eat my hat.

Posted by: _jordan | October 30, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree, think Marc is auditioning for another team, there are several this year with sub par goaltending.

Posted by: majiksea | October 30, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I used to be kenwood, but the new registration won't let me have that, so...

I am now 'waitingsince75'. Waiting for a cup that is.

Hey phone booth, I WANT MY FRESH BOARDWALK FRIES BACK!

Posted by: waitingsince75 | October 30, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of fries. I love how soggy the fries are at the Verizon Center, with the lovely chicken tender basket for $9.

Too bad I had to spend that money in addition to a soda because I was late getting there. Good thing I didn't get raped on parking for $20, the money went towards crappy fried food instead.

Is it also too much to ask for the ushers to actually hold people back during gameplay in some sections? Granted nothing here is new but you'd think after x amount of years, they'd get the process right.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | October 30, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse