Morning Reading List

For those who missed last night's festivities at Verizon Center, including Brooks Laich's pair of goals, check out Tarik's story in the hard-copy edition.

*Here are video highlights from the Caps' 4-1 win over the Leafs along with the Toronto perspective from the Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail and the National Post.

*Speaking of Laich, many of you may have already read or heard the latest installment of Gemma Hooley's and Chris Nelson's NPR project that follows the 25-year-old center and Karl Alzner this season. But in case you haven't check out the feature here on Laich, his injuries and willingness to put his body on the line to block shots.

*Don't forget to check out our guest post from Sport Express' Slava Malamud, where he shares a few things that Alex Ovechkin hates -- including the way Americans drive.

*In another in case you missed it, Pierre LeBrun thinks Michael Nylander is staying put in Washington.

*On to the World Junior Championships, where things really couldn't have been any worse for Kazakhstan. After losing 9-0 to Germany on Saturday, the Kazakhs fell 15-0 to Canada. Stefan Della Rovere, who played despite suffering a shin injury earlier in the week, recorded a goal.

In the system:
*The Bears failed to set another record when they fell 4-1 to Binghamton on Saturday, a game in which Coach Bob Woods was ejected and Michal Neuvirth made his first AHL start. The Senators broke a 16-game losing streak at the Giant Center, dating back to February 2005, with the win.

*Hershey and Neuvirth responded to the loss on Sunday though with a 5-3 win over the River Rats.

*The Grand Forks Herald has four questions with UND defenseman and Caps prospect Joe Finley. The Sioux didn't fare so well in this weekend's Great Lakes Invitational, losing the third-place game 2-1 to Michigan Tech.

By Katie Carrera  |  December 29, 2008; 8:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 4, Leafs 1
Next: Bourque Up, Alzner Hurt (Update)

Comments

Hey Tarik....great job as always. Who at the post do we need to slap to get your articles consistently on the front of the sports page? We only have one of the best players ever to play this sport. It is like having Jordon with the Bulls at their prime always as a footnote. The Wizards shouldn't even be reported on anymore until they have a team that can beat a Division 1 school! Just my 2 cents. Keep up the great work and please keep the Russian reporter/blogger posting. That was a great blog!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 29, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Wait, so the reason Alzner's still up is that he can have more time on NPR?

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread: @kittypawz: I have noticed JT stretching but I can't remember which game he started to do that. Since there have not been any complaints regarding his hip since his return, maybe it has become a superstition stretch. Perhaps he started that after returning in the 2nd period of the New York game, and since then he has played well so he continues to do it.

Speaking of superstitions does anyone else enjoy watching Alzer get ready for a period? He lifts his feet (I'm sure a specific amount of times) then he does that elbow tap thing. It was kind of funny because Jurcina was coming up to him in the middle of the ritual and Alzner would ignore him until he was finished.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

RE: Kozlov
I don't care how people are playing. This is the whole package and you are only as good as the worst player. Right now, we are winning... so, what does it matter?

One game at a time... get your wins and then prepare for the next game.

I'm a bit nervous when Poti and Erskine come back - where does that leave Alzner? I am a huge fan of him and I think he should stay... but where does that leave him when the others come back?

RE: Empty netter
I am a big fan of Ovechkin and Laich and I do believe Ovechkin could have passed it to Laich as Ovechkin can do a lot of things with the puck. However, I am glad Ovechkin go the goal. Laich isn't going to win any trophies, (maybe the one of a defensive forward) but Ovechkin will. Every time there is an empty net, I yell out - Pad the Stats... that's all that is. I'm glad Alex got the goal... the more he scores, the more he scores and the more the team wins.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"Jordon with the Bulls at their prime"

Whoadupaminute - the Caps are not their yet. The only way the Caps are going to get a larger fan base and more coverage is if they win the Cup. Until then, the Caps are simple a step child to the Skins.

No worries, let's just win the whole fricken thing!

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Boo:
If you want to find stats, go to hockeydb.com.
It shows that Kozlov has 0 goals, 6 assists and 4 penalty minutes in 21 playoff games.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 29, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

OV, Semin, Green, Clark, Laich, Fehr, Nylander, Brashear, Backstrom have all scored playoff goals.

Koz... 6 assists, 0 goals in 21 playoff games played.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

If Ovechkin scores 16 game winners in the playoffs, what does it matter if Kozlov gets a goal or not?

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Add Steckel to the goal scorers.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

@828

It wouldn't. I just want Kozlov to be more physical, I mean physical. More physical would imply that he is already physical.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya... same goes for Schultz... Mr. Nice Guy!

I don't think I have ever seen Kozlov get physical. Maybe that's not his game. He has played well lately scoring a few goals here and there, so I am not concerned with his play at the moment.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: As long as he's not still hurting. If it's just superstition stretching, who am I to complain? Not like I don't have any, and whatever works for him. :) I'm just glad to see him hopefully finding his groove and hoping he continues to take it one game at a time. If he can make it happen out there, then more power to him.

As for Alzner - I think I read somewhere it was 88 times? He's apparently got a lot of superstitions. I enjoy it too.

@828: I didn't think Laich was clear, myself, from where I was sitting, and even if he might have pulled it off, there's no sense in taking the risk at that point in the game. If both players say it wasn't happening, then it wasn't happening and that's good enough for me. I don't see Ovi deliberately keeping the puck if Laich had opened up. That's not his way.

Re: Alzner: I think they'll find a way to keep him up. If there's one thing that came out of our little scramble with D in November, it's that we can't afford to carry just six D, especially not with Fedorov out. Our blueline got completely trashed so bad it wasn't funny. Besides, what he does for Jurcina's game is awesome to behold. I still think that that game of Jurcina's has always been there - it came out the night he was paired with Fedorov too - but he needs a partner he can rely on to bring it out of him. Alzner does that.

Don't count GMGM out. He'll come up with something creative.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I dont even need him to hit people. Just using his body to remove people from the crease would sufficient.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

@828: On winning the whole enchilada, hear hear!

Also, for the record, I agree with Ovi on American drivers and the whole camping out in the passing lane bit. I tend to drive fairly fast (though not that fast) and the rolling roadblocks make me crazy too. It seems to be really bad in this area - most places are at least somewhat better about it.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@ _828
Maybe you can yell "Seal the Deal"
instead of pad the stats.....it's much more important to secure the "W". We can let the Pens guys pad the stats.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 29, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@828...to clarify, my point wasn't to say the CAPS were like the Bulls, my point was to say Jordon at that time would have been all over the front page (Bulls comment was to seperate from when he played with Wizards). We have one of the greatest to play the game all time and you might see him on page 3. I agree with you though, screw it and let's win the whole damn thing!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 29, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss,
If Ovechkin has the puck on an empty net goal, I KNOW he is not going to miss. So, in turn, he seals the deal. I'm all about padding the stats - have to think Fantasy as well!!! Besides, I can't stand either one of those Pens guys - let them not be 1st in ANYTHING.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

If any ire should be directed at a player during a winning streak, it's Nylander. He had 0 shots last night. He gives up the puck as soon as someone gets on him, esp. along the boards. His backchecking is a joke, and his spinning allows the other team time to set up thier defense. He earns nearly 5 mil, so his salary means Alzner can't stay up. Nylander is in BB's doghouse for a good reason, skating barely over 10 minutes a night. If the Caps can trade Nylander as soon as Feds is healthy, I say "via con dios, baby"

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 29, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

828:
THANK YOU!! Like I said, it takes all sorts to make up a winning team. Kozzie has playoff assists - I'll take that - who knows what he'll do in the post-season this time around. And, and per my previous post, he has both been playing welll lately AND brings other value to the team. So he's not on my naughty list right now. Besides, there are other players who warrant more kvetching, but I'd rather bask in the win at the moment. #1 in the SE, #2 in the East and #4 in the NHL?!? Yeah, I'll take that.

JSchon:
I don't see Brads and Stecks on that list (although was Stecks hurt during the playoffs last season?). Who else is missing from that list (other than Dmen)? Regardless, thanks for making my point for me!! ;-)

Joe:
Thanks, but I know where to find stats ... :-P

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that TSN has the Caps listed as 14th in their power rankings. Especially since we stand alone at #2 in the Eastern Conference. Some things just can't be explained.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 29, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

CapsSkins,
I agree and you are right.
For me, Tarik gives me enough information so I am not worried about the rest of the media. But, the coverage should be on the Caps. As well as we are doing and how we do have the best and most exciting player in the world, you would think we could be on the cover of every news paper. It would just be nice to have them recognized more - not for my sake, but for all of those that are missing out. I was at Outback last night and heard someone talk about the Caps and going to the games... it was nice to hear. Last year, they didn't have a clue the Capitals played hockey.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@Fro_: Might have been from last week with all the goaltending uncertainty and the Philly drubbing. IMHO, power rankings are more fickle than the middle-school dating scene and mean precisely one fart in a swamp. If TSN wants to underestimate us, go for it.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Fro_,

Haha, we won all our games this week and went from 7th to 14th while Philly has lost 3 straight, the Pens got shutout by TB and lost to MTL this past week. What has MTL done? The Wild? Why is TB 30th? They won 3 in a row...

APRIL FOOLS!!! Oh wait, it's not April yet.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

@828...I agree with you completely and this is my sole place for CAPS updates since Tarik gives us links to anything else worth reading. I just think it is a disservice to the city. I want front page to bring new fans to the sport and get hockey built up for the players and Ted. You can never have to much support (especially in such a transiant city), but we won't get the fan base the guys deserve without more education about the game to the common sports follower. What better time to do it when you have the greatest player on earth! I am a true believer that one game watched live by a non-follower creates 1 more dedicated fan. Hockey is the best game to watch live...period!

@Fro...I read that last night and am baffled also. Especially since they mentioned how injured we were. Since we are injured without some key players, and 2nd in East/1st in conference, wouldn't that raise our power level since we should only improve when those players return??? At least they still have OV as the top player!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 29, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

kittypaws,

Says: Updated December 28 (next rankings posted Jan. 5)

What's wrong with the middls school dating scene? It was AWESOME! Mom taken us to the movies... slow dancing... 7 min in heaven. I want to go back!

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Alzner will stay around for a while. It is not a matter on number of D-man available as how much cap space they have. It will be harder to keep him once Feds comes off of LTIR and the cap space is not available. Someone will have to be on LTIR to keep Karl around until later in the spring. Not to worry, come
April he will be playing 20+ minutes a night.

Posted by: RichC3 | December 29, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3 | December 29, 2008 9:22 AM
-------------------------------------------
Unless a trade is made *cough* Morrisonn *cough cough*

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"more fickle than the middle-school dating scene"

Love it. And to use a term from middle school- I think most in the media like us, they just don't "LIKE, like us".

Posted by: Fro_ | December 29, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey all...I am a first time poster, long time fan, and frequent lurker. A couple of question, apologies in advance if they have already been answered.

There was previously much discusssion that Sloan would have to clear waivers if sent back down to Hershey, is this still true? Is there any chance of losing him?

Back at the start of the season when everyone was healthy, who was the other frequent healthy scratch aside from Fehr?

Posted by: JayHoo89 | December 29, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

And yes, by "us" I mean the Caps. I'm on the side where it's ok call the team you whole-heartedly support- "us".

Posted by: Fro_ | December 29, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think this quote from the thestar.com article is quite a statement and testament to this team:

"The goal helped prolong what has been a remarkable run for the Caps, who have won six straight games on their own ice despite numerous injuries. Last night they were without, among others, Alexander Semin (back), Tomas Fleischmann (pneumonia) and Sergei Fedorov (shoulder), three players who would probably form Toronto's top line if they wore blue and white."

GO CAPS!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 29, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@828: Okay, my bad. So TSN is retarded. Remember, these are the same guys who kiss Crysby's arse continuously, so this shouldn't be news.

I was referring to the part where if you dated someone for a whole month it was forever and ever, right? Dating got more fun for me as I got older.

Amen on the news coverage - Washington times had a small article about the Redskins' mediocrity above the fold in the sports section and then two stories and a huge picture of the Caps on and below the fold. I just shook my head.

Remember, though, that Washington and Baltimore are big football towns. Baltimore is still in the playoff hunt, having stomped Jacksonville last night. I find that among my co-workers, a lot of them don't get hockey because they can't follow the action quickly enough. These are the guys who need to get up between plays, remember. :)

Oh, and Tarik? News on Bradley please. I hope he's okay. :(

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Hello all,
I’m back after a pretty amazing two week break in Sunny Mexico. Sunshine, beaches, cocktails, all you can eat buffets…… any one jealous yet?

Our resort was full of Canadian but needless to say I represented in my Capitals gear, even drawing a comment from a guy from Montreal who could not believe I was from Manchester, England.

I have been able to follow the main events, watch highlights etc but I haven’t been able to keep up with all the comments. There are only so many hours in the day and they seem to be shorter after a few Pina Coladas!

So what’s happened since I last posted on the blog?

The Caps have played 9 and won 8. Maybe I need to spend more time in Mexico?

We handed NHL debuts to Osala, Andrew Gordon, Varlamov and the guy who puts the website together? Surely the dream of playing in the NHL isn’t beyond anyone.

Ovechkin scored yet another “The Goal”. How many “The Goal”s can one player have in a career? My guess is he will be able to have a Top Ten “The Goal” list by the end of his career.

I did think of getting a sombrero but there can be only one Sombrero Guy!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 29, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

What about Bradley's injury?

Posted by: MKadyman | December 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Now I’m back into the swing of things, I totally agree with Sargeantmofo that the best comment from the Leafs perspective on last night came at the end of the Toronto Star article:
“Last night they [the Caps] were without, among others, Alexander Semin (back), Tomas Fleischmann (pneumonia) and Sergei Fedorov (shoulder), three players who would probably form Toronto's top line if they wore blue and white.”
I can’t argue with that and it just shows how strong we are becoming.

CapSkins,
This update was from Katie... not Tarik. Credit where credit is due eh?

Section117,
I hear you were looking for me after the Spurs/Utd game. You may be out front now but it’s like a 400m race and we have the inside lane. Once the stagger unfolds, you’ll be wound back in!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: I would love to hear an update too, but I am not expecting happy news. I am no doctor, but in looking at Bradley eyes as he was being helped off the ice, it was pretty clear that he had no idea where he was and possibly WHO he was. I am guessing concussion and a stint on IR is coming.

Posted by: TimDz | December 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Daaaavvveee!! Welcome back, my friend. We missed you - or at least I did when I needed someone to back me up!! ;-) You can start by settling this debate about Kozzie - GO!! :-D (BTW, I hope you remembered to have that pina colada, or two or three, for me!!)
-Boo!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

kittypaws,

Just being sarcastic about the middle school dating scene. Spin the bottle is not all that it's cracked up to be!

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Another Victory - for a 15-1-1 record at home. Wow :)

This hotel's connection is so bad I can barely see the highlights... but it was awesome watching OVI getting the crossbar, then score 20 seconds later... he's unstoppable! I don't usually care about headlines, but come on... Crosby makes one good play every other week and he makes headlines... OVI is tremendous day-by-day and get less coverage... go figure... if Crosby did half of what OVI is doing, he'd be celebrated as Hero of All Times. Wake up people, and behold the true MVP...

Posted by: mauree | December 29, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@828: Hahah. Okay, I misread that. :) My bad.

Welcome back, Dave. I've enjoyed reading your posts and missed you. I don't think Ovi's topped "The Goal" yet, and I'm not sure he ever will. (And if he proves me wrong, more power to him.)

@TimDz: I'm not either. I was pretty far off but that was a nasty, nasty slam into the boards and it looked really bad. I was just glad that he wasn't carried off on a backboard. I'd prefer to know, if it is that bad, rather than not, if you know what I mean?

So ... if Bradley is out for a while, who do we call in from Hershey? Maybe it's too early to speculate, but it's fun to think about who Bradley's match in Hershey is. I'm thinking Bourque?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dave, welcome back.
If we start losing, prepare to pack for Mexico again :D

Posted by: mauree | December 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan:
Glad you made it without being one of the kidnap victims in Mexico.

You're from Manchester, England but I keep wondering where Manchester, England, England is. I swear I heard it in a song once on Broadway.

828: "Spin the bottle is not all that it's cracked up to be!" ... until you meet that advanced (well, back in those days) eighth grader who decided to slip in a little tongue.

OK, back to our regular programming.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 29, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
Dave has been home for a couple of wins, so we can't write him off just yet; we'll have to revisit that discussion in January ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

JayHoo89,
Not sure about Sloan's waiver situation, but my guess would be he's safe. (I'd look it up, but I'm on dial-up for a while and can't load the CBA.) And Boyd Gordon was the other healthy scratch.

Missed the game last night, saw the highlights on "On the Fly". I'm trying to decide whether or not to be mad that the Bruins are getting all this love. I guess we'd be getting that love if our road game didn't suck so bad. We've got a better home record than they do by now.
I hope Brads really is "okay".

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Bradley better be alright, i just got a red bradley jeresey not even a week ago and now he may be hurt

Posted by: _stevo | December 29, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

OK, so for Christmas the wife gets me an official NHL/Reebok Caps red Semin jersey.
Friday night we're watching the game and I'm in an old sweatshirt. The game is 10 minutes into the second period and the wife says you're not wearing your Caps jersey, I cross the room and get one arm and my head into the jersey and Joe B yells
GOAL. Needless to say the jersey will be worn all game from now on. One bad thing,
I think Reebok/NHL had a huge inventory of the "New" jersey material and are still using it. the jersey is hot as hell

Posted by: billd2 | December 29, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks all, go I start hoping we start to lose so you all club together to send me back to Mexico? JSchon, how much is in the fines pot now?

With Kozzy I say look how he is playing now not in previous years for other teams. I think before last night he had 4 goals in 4 games. The Leafs are moaning because they have only scored 4 goals in the last 4 games, as a team!

As far as hitting goes, maybe I'm not best placed to see it as I don't often get to see full games. No doubt though he plays a key role in making that top line tick. Hey, if Ovie likes him, he's cool in my book.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 29, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

caps assigned girioux and recalled chris bourque

Posted by: _stevo | December 29, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Noticed someone mention they get all their caps news and info from Tarik.

While Tarik is the first source I come to, there are quite a few other blogs out there deserving of attention by caps fans. Allow me to suppliment your reading.

www.japersrink.com
www.onfrozenblog.com
peerlessprognosticator.blogspot.com
and last but not least
www.tedstake.com

All give valuable, additional insight on the team and should be visited often.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan

I hear that SombreroGuy is opening up franchises.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

mauree

I think it's because of the frequency with which he creates highlight plays, that he'd dominate the hockey news every game (or close to it). Bettman's girlfriend wouldn't get any press otherwise.

Could also be that OV is NOT Canadian so is naturally not as talented as a Canadian in hockey.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@Kittypawz: I wasn't at the game (I can only go when others are generous and toss a ticket my way), but CSN got a close up shot of him as he was being helped off the ice. His eyes had that "The light is on but nobody is home" look. Scary. But you are right, better that than a stretcher.

I am guessing that an update will be forthcoming.

Posted by: TimDz | December 29, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Ouch man, not another injury... poor Bradley :(

Hey Greg, where have you been :)

Posted by: mauree | December 29, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you could see him mouthing "What happened?"

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Japers is reporting Giroux has been sent down, Bourque is back up.

I'm a huge fan of this. 1 for 5 on wide open nets does not a NHLer make. I was VERY unimpressed with Giroux while he was here.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

FFSEnough, I don't really think having Henrik Lundqvist in your way qualifies as a "wide open net".

Posted by: redskins91 | December 29, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Working my tukis off, getting in trouble with certain posters here, sliding in a lame joke every now and again.

SOS. :)

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I sure did!

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

HA! Tagged it cold. :)

FFSEnough: Right there with you. Giroux/Nylander/Clark didn't impress me that much last night, and of them, Clark impressed me the most. I haven't really liked Giroux here. Of course, I'm a Bourque fan anyhow so I may be biased :) I'm just eternally grateful that we have the depth to be able to mix and match parts like we are.

@jmu_capsgirl: The road record is improving, ever so slowly.

@DaveUKCapsFan: If that happens I'll ship you back to Mexico myself on a dinghy. :D

I couldn't see Bradley clearly - I was at the game and I'm in the corner behind our goal, but it just looked horrid. I guess we'll know more later.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Also, new thread

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

With all the watching-of-games at relatives houses this holiday season (I'm just grateful I was able to watch while visiting folk) much of the 1-for-5 count was developed without the ability to go back and see what really went wrong, so who these were against is somewhat of a blur to me.

All I remember is (in no chronological order):
1. Clang off post after beautiful pass from Nyls.
2. Selfish 2-on-1 "keeper". Layup for 92 if he makes a simple crossing pass.
3. Miss of open side of net on PP (much like TOR player missed last night. Wrong handed-wrong side of net. Willing to give him a pass on this one)
4. One that he lifted clear over the net, announcers kept saying goalie got a piece, but backing up dvr showed he just flat-out missed.
5. Goal.

Infact, Nyls would probably have 2-3 more points right now if 33 had stashed a few more.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

yay, new thread.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Someone said Kozlov wasn't scoring goals? Who was that wearing the #25 on the 18th? His resume reads quite well: "Plays well with others."

Look past the guys getting the glory and notice the contributions of everyone. How well the team is doing depends upon the whole: players, coaches, medical staff, front office staff, the people working the concessions, cleaning the arena, selling the tickets, the people at Kettler, and not just a few guys whose names and numbers so many people sport on jerseys.

If it weren't for all the effort put forth by those in the background, the team wouldn't be where they are. If it weren't for the fans, player morale would be low, which would be reflected in their playing, and if it weren't for the fans, there would be no reason for the team to exist, so kudos to you, too.

Where would the team be without the Zamboni drivers?

Those aren't "rolling roadblocks." Those are pace cars!

Posted by: BeemanRS | December 30, 2008 2:29 AM | Report abuse

After firing up over the Kozlov comments, (my first time on this discussion board) I went back and read the rest of the postings.

Thanks for the laugh, JoeB. I couldn't believe someone made a Hair reference on here. (I'd had the same thought when I read where Dave is from.)

I was remembering the song from when I was barely out of diapers. Honest!

Posted by: BeemanRS | December 30, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse