Morning Reading List

Of all the things that came out of last night's 2-1 shootout win over the Flyers -- ending a two-game losing streak to Philadelphia, improving the home record to 18-1-1, extending the current seven-game winning streak, Jose Theodore's fifth consecutive victory, etc. -- perhaps the most meaningful note is that the Capitals are now just five points out of first place in the Eastern Conference.

*From the D.C. Sports Bog: Apparently Caps and Flyers fans don't hate each other, Dan Steinberg examines one of Coach Bruce Boudreau's common phrases and offers Mike Richards' thoughts about Alex Ovechkin.

*Here are the NHL.com recap and a few Flyers perspectives on the game from the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Daily News.

*Steve Kolbe's Take Five features Matt Bradley this week.

*For those who may have missed or was unable to watch last night's game here are the highlights.

*Comcast is set to launch its weekly Caps show, Red Line Monday, on Feb. 9.

In the system:
*The Canadian AHL All Stars were announced yesterday. Alexandre Giroux was selected as a starter and will join Bryan Helmer, who is captain of the squad, and Hershey's coaching staff on the Canadian side. The USA All Stars will be named today.

*The Patriot News' Tim Leone talks to goaltender Daren Machesney about his time at the Spengler Cup.

*Time for Bear Tracks and an injury/lines update to help you get ready for Hershey's game tonight at Norfolk at 7:15 p.m.

*Stefan Della Rovere is raring to get going again with his Barrie Colts after winning gold with Team Canada at the World Junior Championship.

*Joel Broda was named the Western Hockey League's Player of the Week after recording 11 points (9 goals) this past week.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 7, 2009; 7:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 2, Flyers 1 (SO)
Next: Clark Says He's Okay (Update)

Comments

From previous thread:

@Amer514: Why am I not surprised. You had to expect that, seriously. Hartnell's a jerk.

Re: Ovi and penalties: I'm a little concerned, but from what I see, Ovechkin's penalties and missteps are crimes of passion. He doesn't intend to hurt anyone, but he's a very passionate guy - you can see it in the joy and abandon with which he plays - and I think sometimes his heart gets ahead of his head. We love him for it, but at the same time, a little focus and discipline is necessary to calm him down and round him out.

Come to think of it, I think a lot of the mistakes last night weren't so much lack of effort as lack of focus on a lot of parts. There was no shortage of effort - those guys played their hearts out. Perhaps with a little too much passion, and the combination of lack of focus and sloppy ice contributed to a not-so-great showing. Yeah, we won, but it was closer than I like. It should not have been that close.

I can't comment on Ovi's move in the shootout - couldn't see too clearly from where I was. But, I'd like to see Boudreau put Nylander in the shootout. To me, the shootout is a mind game between the player and the goalie, and Ovi isn't a mind game kind of guy. Nylander surely is, and he's done well in shootouts and penalty shots in the past, hasn't he?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

2 days to heal up, get some more bodies back and avoid a letdown against Columbus.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Could the Philly press be on a soap box anymore??? Good lord, no wonder the fans up there act like they do....."the Caps should have run them out of the rink but our depleted troops pulled out a point anyway." what a crock of s$%#!!!!

Posted by: PhilR | January 7, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

In regards to posts made on the previous thread...

@kittypawz

The Ice looked fine to me. It was pretty cold in there tonight as well so I know they weren't having the same issues as they did n the NYR game.

@JBrooke4

There is a reason they weren't fully committing to the Forecheck tonight. Philly is so good springing people for breakaways that you do that at a huge risk. Hence the reason they played very conservative.

I thought it was a pretty good stand up effort.

It wasn't a blow out but I will definitely take the 2 points.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | January 7, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread

@kittypawz

@JBrooke4

I thought it was a pretty good stand up effort.

It wasn't a blow out but I will definitely take the 2 points.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | January 7, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Just me, or are Philly writers unable to tolerate injuries and a shootout loss?

Posted by: Cerealman | January 7, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I think Nylander is about to get shipped out. He was really slow, took a bad penalty that cost us a goal, and was constantly out of position. That said, he was playing on our #1 power play for a while and started overtime. I have been a fan for a long time but I am finally switching camps. I am hoping all of the ice time last night was him auditioning for other clubs. Thanks Nylander. Bye.

Posted by: capsfan5 | January 7, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Kitty,
I don't see Ovie's problem with the shootout as being a mental thing. Well, not so much in that he doesn't have the bottle to take one. I think he is fine confidence wise and no doubt expects to score every time.

However, is it a case of the coach picks players or do players volunteer for shootout duty. A "Pick me coach, I feel good" sort of thing. Maybe Nyls doesn't put his hand up as much as Ovie.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Winkles and Wookies:

1) Coach B's moving Kozlov to second line in third period for defensive measures was nothing short of brilliant. We needed backchecking forward who can move the puck effortlessly out of own zone.

2) Ovi's hit on Clark may end up being positive in that we can keep Alzner up. GM has to figure this one out cause Alzner is steady as a rock.

3) Semin looked a little timid but otherwise played a good game.

4) Who's the idiot that called Jt "Swiss Cheese."

5) Greeny needs to tighten up on D some.

6) Team starting to gell or is it jell?

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Thats all I'm hearing up here today in Philly is how beat up their team was. "I'm surprised we made it to overtime," that shows confidence in your young prospects. There hasn't been a time this season when the Caps had to call up any of our Hershey boys that I doubted a good game.

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

PhilR,
I agree that the Philly press polishing of their game is bull $#!+ but that is what they do. At least Tarik is more balanced and gives credit when due.

If I speak with any of my colleagues in Philly today, I'll hear the same. Anyway, pulling away from the rest of the East and being #1 is potentially only a week away.

Yeah!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@Dizzy1205: You didn't see the puck rolling all over the place? Shooters on both teams were having to constantly quiet the puck down before they could shoot, giving the other defense time to get there. I saw it happen continously all night on both sides of the ice.

And it wasn't cold where I was. Not at all.

I don't think that was the whole problem - certainly there was a lot of just plain missing that shouldn't have been. I chalk that up to focus.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Green. He was out of position quite a few times and let a few things get by. I just wish the boys would start putting the puck on goal on the powerplay instead of looking for the perfect tic-tac-toe play.

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Was it Locker that said Ovi has too much time to think on penalty shots/shootouts? Something along the lines of you keep trying to outthink the goalie instead doing whatever comes naturally.

Posted by: koalatek | January 7, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Mike Richards comments about Ovie's so called "dirty hits" are pretty immature. If he is going to be a captain in the NHL he needs to grow up a bit - you don't see true captains whine about other players and sound like they are sour grapes. They keep the team focused and turn the attention to the next challenge. 5 years from now he will look back on those comments and realize that they were not in the best interests of the team. I respect his game a lot, but he needs to be better than that. That said, great win last night and a great playoff-type test that will serve the team well. As a Theo basher a few weeks ago, I have to applaud him for working things out and playing fantastic. The saves he made on the first 2 shots especially in the shootout were really great, patient saves. Well done 60!

Posted by: Roose | January 7, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 8:52 AM
-------------------------------------------
Yeah, that pretty boy power play is only 4th in the league right now.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Not the prettiest of efforts offensively I'll agree. But even the best offensive teams are going to have games like that. Championship teams have to be sound enough defensively and between the pipes to win games when they aren't scoring goals. Last night they proved they could do that. The biggest knock on the Caps in the national media is goaltending. Last night JT should have made some people stand up and take notice. If he can sustain the level of play he's shown over these last 5 games the Caps have to be taken seriously as a Cup contender.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 7, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

How's the view from 117? snicker snicker...

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@Top few posts

You realize this isn't a message board right? Its supposed to be comments on the post above. Nothing is stopping you from revisiting old blogs and continuing a discussion. When the first comment on an article consists of "From Last thread" with copy paste action, one can't help but think people are coming here to become "Fan Fixtures" instead of enjoying Tarik's work.

I do agree with the flyer fan rivalry perspectives. I remember being little and half of philly being bussed down for the game. The caps fans then were civil or quiet. Now we have a new breed trying to amp up a rivalry after last seasons run. Its great to want to get into the hockey culture, but best to let things fester and evolve on their own.

Things will never be like Eagles Skins or any FIFA/NFL rivalry. The average Hockey fan is too rich and educated to fight over multimilliondollar athletes.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 7, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan: Sure, absolutely he's confident. I don't doubt that. It's a mind game between the shooter and the goalie, though, and I think Nylander would fare better in messing with a goalie's mind. Alex is just disgustingly fast and good at evading a defender, and stubborn as hell.

My choices for the shootout would be Kozlov, Semin, and Nylander, whose styles are all different and speeds are all different. All three Flyers tried the same move on Theodore, and it failed all three times. (Has anyone called to order the latest Theodore Detractors Anonymous meeting yet?)

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the glory is internet anonymity.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

My thing about Ovechkin and the physical style of play is that it's the way he is. He *doesn't* go around slashing everything in sight; he *doesn't* pick fights with people, and he plays with a LOT of passion. I did not see the play in question last night, but knowing what I do of Ovechkin's style of play, a deliberate "spear" spear - as in worthy of a penalty - isn't something he'd do. The Caps are not given to phyiscal fouls. Restraining fouls, yes. Physical (and to some extent stick) fouls, no.

As for the shootout: it's a mind game between the skater and the goalkeeper. And DAMN did Jose stand up last night, or what? WOW! I was very much impressed with our netminder.

For anyone keeping track, he's now Jose Six-Wins-in-a-Row Theodore. So: Theodore Detractors... how would you like your crow? I will own up to having been less than impressed previously, but I'm definitely impressed over the last six games! Very much impressed. :-)

Hope Clark is OK!!! We just got him back!

Posted by: irockthered | January 7, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Didn't that whiny little punk Richards jump into a hit in the corner trying to put Green through the glass? His words have no meaning. Imagine a Flyer calling out another team for being dirty. Ha!

Posted by: meagle | January 7, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

some are nice and some are sarcastic in nature -- the beast i suppoise

"Yeah, that pretty boy power play is only 4th in the league right now."

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 8:52 AM
-------------------------------------------
Yeah, that pretty boy power play is only 4th in the league right now.

Sorry, let me be clear. Against the Flyers I'd like to see more banging instead of the pretty stuff. :)

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Didn't hear to much from Cote last night. I suppose he didn't want to look like a raccoon for another week or two. I have a feeling we might be crossing paths in the play-offs again.

JT has arrived. He is as good or better than Huet. When they signed JT, I said there was very little difference between the two goalies. Was glad he got an ovation for his efforts!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 7, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

...guess if spent more time in front of the net on the power play we would be 2nd in the league instead of 4th eh?

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Against the Flyers I'd like to see more banging instead of the pretty stuff. :)

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 9:11 AM
-------------------------------------------
Gotcha and word.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Section 110.

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Cote was interviewed during 2nd intermission in Philly/Comcast and he basically said he hasn't stopped thinking about having his lunch served to him by Brashear last match but knows they will have 2 more games to get even.

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

How can the Flyers press call the Capitals "healthy"...what roster is he looking at? And of course they won't admit that the Caps were all banged up when we outshout them 25-5 in the first period a couple of weeks ago (granted we still lost 7-1). The casual Flyers fan sees that article and thinks the Flyers really stole a point...it's not 3rd and 4th line guys the Caps are missing (a top 4 defenseman and a top six forward).

Posted by: reesem37 | January 7, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Next one is 2/24 at home, 2 days after the Penguins game.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

From reading the links, Philly newspapers,the reporters are just as bad as their lousy fans.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 7, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
How ya feelin' today? :-)

Amers514:
What exactly was Hartnell doing/saying to Semin?

Speaking of Semin, was anyone surprised to see that he did not have his fight strap secured last night?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 7, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Trunk,
Props on the rivalry. That is why most of the sports world thought Bettmen was smokin' rope with his rivalry formula. If anyone wants a laboratory analysis, go to ONE English Premier League game. No need to take notes, believe me.
Playing Philly only once more at home is a good thing.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

When i heard Mike 'Whiner' Richards take the pacifier out of his mouth and complain about Ovechkin's dirty hits, i thought that maybe someone should have reminded him about the headhunting run he took at Mike Green last night near the end of the game. Hypocrite.
A team captain of a NHL hockey team should not be a cry baby.

Posted by: sj9096 | January 7, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Nabokov pulled in first intermission after allowing three goals in the first period.. I am cursed.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I think we are showcasing Nylander and it is making us a weaker team. He has no business on either of the top two lines IMO.

I think Green has some bad mental lapses defensively that only HIS offensive abilities can make up for. Him getting better on defense makes him a certain future Norris trophy candidate...or he can be...sandis ozolinsh? I prefer the Norris, and still love the guy.

Why dont we see Tarik on TV or am I missing something? I remember with La Canfora was covering the team he had a special segment of his own?

Loving the combo of Steckel-Fehr-anybody who can finish.

If Clark is down, call up Borque and stick him on the afore mentioned line.

Glad we won, dissappointed we didnt make them pay for last game.

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@RicketyCricket - Awesome name and a great nod to the funniest show on TV.

If I were picking shoot out participatins...

1) Kozlov
2) Semin
3) Backstrom
4) Ovie/Nylander

That's not a knock on Ovie, and he had hisbest shootout attempt in ages but those top 3 are money.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 7, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Section 110.

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 9:15 AM
-------------------------------------------
If you say so.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@WTF_Fehr
You see Tarik sometimes on WPL. They rotate Caps media, though, so it's not like Tarik's always on.

Posted by: koalatek | January 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A great win at Verizon last night. I haven't had a chance to read the Philly press' take on the game but based on the game I saw, that game showed there is nothing between these two teams right now. Nothing. 1-1 and 34-34 in shots through three periods. A beautiful top shelf SO goal by Kozlov and three great saves by JT is the sum total of the dif. The Flyers did come into Verizon and play a damn good game, like it or not. As it stands right now, the Caps need to get someone who can consistently get in front of the net on O and push people out of the crease on D (remember that little bastard Briere killing us in the playoffs last season?) - we don't have that right now and that was the most glaring weakness last night. Biron was able to see nearly every single shot last night and he made the saves. I see the Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, and Devils as the teams that present us with the most problems - patient D, good in the neutral zone, physical. I'm ecstatic we won last night but over a seven-game series it's going to be real tough. Yes, I know the Caps are 7-1 this season vs. NYR, Habs, Bruins, and Flyers. A great record they should be proud of...we just a need maybe one more piece.

Posted by: saintex | January 7, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Kitty,
I agree that maybe Ovie isn't the best choice in a shootout. I didn't have as much confidence in him as I did in Vic or Semin, which is weird as he's Alex Ovechkin! Maybe it is a case of Ovie wants to take one more than others.

Boo,
Feeling rough. Staying up until 3am isn't good for anyone! :)

Fehr has been creating lots of chances recently without being able to finish. He had a great chance a few minutes after Backs goal last night but he just failed to connect. Got to feel if he gets one, he'll go on a run of scoring.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

WTF_Fehr

You are correct, Nyls is just keeping Feds' seat warm for him.

I'm looking forward to getting 92 back with 14 and 16. That line was producing pretty well from a 3rd-line standpoint. I do like Whoever/39/16 but the simple fact is until he was forced to break 14/92/16, it was a pretty good 3rd line.

Don't get me wrong. I'm 100% frustrated with Nyls production and believe that if the team had a reliably healthy 2nd line center, we'd be better off without him. But I just can't get over how many different FWDs Nyls has had to play with this season. Not many players in this league will be successful in that situation. Some health and consistency will go a long way. Hell, if JT can turn it around, why not 92?

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 7, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 9:40 AM
-------------------------------------------
The problem for Fehr is (barring a FO move) he might first in the press box once/if everyone's back.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero,
Nice picks but it is so game-dependent ya know? On so many given nights, I'd have Brads or Gordo go in for Kozy with no hesitation. BB has the last say but I do not envy Leach or Evason during the last 2 mins of any SD/OT.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfeFan

I think the difference in the EU rivalries is that the teams have a connection to the fans. In the EU system I could buy Hershey, pump it full of cash, and in a few years get promoted to the NHL. After seeing many first and second Bundesliga games here I realize that these people are less there for the game and more to represent their civic pride.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 7, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you're not getting Pulitzer stuff from the Philly hockey press, which has gone downhill a bit since Pannacio left, but this is more "whistling past a graveyard" than anything. The Flyers slumped badly at the start of '08 and had to race to a playoff spot, not unlike the Caps, who also snuck in. We're sort of bracing for the worst, as is our wont.

Well fought, and props to the Caps for the win, but we'll take the road point at the end of a six game road swing and see you on 24 February.

Posted by: DC_Flyer | January 7, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
Yeah, I can certainly imagine ... ;-)

I love Ovie, but not on the shootout.

Last night may not have been our best win, but that game was a lot of fun. There was A ton of energy in the house and the fans were pumped. As far as I'm concerned, ANY time we beat the Flyers, THAT'S a good game.

For those of you who were watching on TV, what was the chatter about the ice in the shootout? That was a first - I have never seen the Zamboni (or should I say Olympia?) come back out before ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 7, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Semin still looks like he's getting his timing back and he should have just ripped it on the 2 on 1 instead of dragging it to the left side and shooting it, which put Laich(?) in the shooting lane.

Those teams were so even last night, they could have decided to play until somebody scored 5 on 5, and they'd still be there playing.

Posted by: cao091402 | January 7, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

BTW, www.nhl.com has a survey about who is the biggest hitter. Two of the options? Ovie and ... CLUTTERBUCK!! (I wish he was on our team, just for his name alone.) BTW, Ovie is winning in that survey!! :-) Who knew when we got this offensive threat years ago that he would end up being big hitter?!? Man I love that guy ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 7, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Boo, JoeB and Locker were wondering what was going on, then JoeB guesses that the Flyers want the ice done more evenly. He also notices the [Olympia Ice Resurfacer] driver asking the ref "what do you want?". Locker says something about seeing the Zambonis come back out in other arenas, but never the VC.

Posted by: koalatek | January 7, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

mike richards.....whata tool

Posted by: _stevo | January 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Another poll on nhl.com:

Will Washington win the Eastern Conference?

Yes: 66.74 %
No: 33.26 %

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 7, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Even Jim Jackson in Philly was saying the ice looked pretty even on both sides. I just love how the zambonis just starting doing the entire rink to make everyone happy.

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

It was a win only in the two points for the standings. The Flyers should be pleased with themselves. Us? Not so much. You gotta take care of that tired, banged up team in regulation, and somewhat convincingly. Any so-called demons are still there.

Posted by: Zornado | January 7, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@FFSEnough

I like what your saying, I had a good feeling about that Fehr-Flash-Feds line. Its even got a nice ring to it. But what about...

Ov-Backs-Semin
Flash-Feds-Kozie
Fehr-Steckel-Laich
Grinders

Interchange folks on the 2nd and third with only the interest of keeping Fehr with Stecks in the interest of chemistry.
That looks like some legit scoring punch....

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zornado | January 7, 2009 9:58 AM
-------------------------------------------
Word.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Trunk,
You're right that football (soccer) rivalries have a lot to do with civic pride, see Man Utd v Liverpool as the prime example. This is why I often can't understand some Caps fans problem with the Skins. They both represent the same city. Anything that bears the name Manchester (with the exception of Manchester City) gets my support.

Section 117,
It's a shame if Fehr is the first scratched because he has been contributing without scoring. Some big decisions when all are healthy. But it's a nice problem for BB to have.

Boo,
Locker & Joe B were undecided as to whether it was BB or Philly who had asked for the Zambonis to come back on. From my point of view it was all Philly. You could see their bench trying to get the refs attention prior to the SO starting. Props (I believe that is the correct phrase) to Big Vic for staying composed and scoring even though he was made to wait around for an age.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

How is the job market in DC? Serious question.

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there are demons from the loss in Philly....I think we want to believe there are, but I don't see it. Does the team hate the Flyers? Yep. (So do I.) Even if that game last month ended 3-1 we would still have heard all the yapping in the press and on this blog - it's the nature of playing against the Flyers. They won, we won - two to go. Now, there may be some demons from the playoffs last season but those can't be dealt with until the post-season. I don't care (thought I hope) if we win the season series 3-1...I want to beat them in the playoffs.

Posted by: saintex | January 7, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Trunk,
I saw a Munich Bayern vs Nuremberg game and I did notice it was culturally different from an EPL match. Being just a working tourist during those games, I admit my comprehension level was limited. Nonetheless, our little 100 year NY-Bos spats and such is laughable compared to what you know about "civic pride" and Coat of Arms as team logos lol...

Anyway, hopefully we can get that sort of passion here Rockin' The Red!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Sure hope Kozlov sticks around.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@DC_Flyer: Cheers to that, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. I don't tthink we were at our best, either, so here's to another tight match when both teams are at the top of their game.

Thanks for coming by.

@WTF_Fehr - we used something very similar to that line in one game at least, and it was money.

@Zornado: I agree. We were not at our best last night, though it's not the horrid picture some were painting. Looking forward to fixing that on 24 Feb.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

koalatek:
"Olympia Ice Resurfacer" ... HA!! :-) Well, when I really looked I could see a little strip that had not been cleaned but, please ... I can't believe that Biron made a fuss about that. If anything I would think that would be to his advantage!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 7, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

is, are. my grammer needs more coffee.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Rod Serling must be the new NHL commissioner: Richards is calling Ovechkin dirty? For a hit that didn't land (at least, not on a Philthy player)? One question for you, Mr. 'Richards': can I call you Dick? Thanks.
The verizon Bobble-puck stole a goals from Semin; Fehr can't buy a break; I am driven to distraction by the indescribably weird play of...Schu-u-u-ultz!
I have to go to the Briere now--tawk amongst yaselves.

Posted by: redlineblue | January 7, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Those damned Zamboni drivers play dirtier then Ovie!

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
TEB said it was Biron who wanted it ... I don't get it.

cappies:
The job market here is better than most of the country, especially if you are technical or looking for a government job. The FBI is apparently having it's biggest hiring blitz ever for all sorts of jobs and Obama's admin will surely be doing a ton of hiring.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 7, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend - who was at her second game last night, the first being the first NYR game - pointed out at the first intermission of her first game that our Zamboni drivers have absolutely no method to their madness. I laughed aloud at that "expert commentary". Since then, about 14 games or so, I've noted that she's totally right. Now, I think Biron was probably being a punk, but if you really watch those guys, they miss all kinds of strips of ice while they're out driving around.

Just saying.

Posted by: saintex | January 7, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Boo

Yes, they were talking about the ice last night on TV, but not very intelligently. I was furious when Locker referred to it as a "Zam.." I'm one of those people that feels we'll never be taken seriously/truely contend for a cup while we have inferior Olympias cleaning our ice.

Joe B. said he has seen it before, but it's probably not very often.

Anyone remember, one of our earlier season games, I can't remember which, one of our Oly's broke down and was scraping up the ice after warmups on it's way back to the tunnel. Then we spent the next 2 intermissions cleaning the ice with 1 Oly? In that situation, I really think they should extend intermissions by 5 min or so to give the ice more time to freeze. Or, cut out the extraneous stuff in between (though, you try telling 12-18 5-10 year olds that they can't play on the ice for 3 min cause the Oly's broken.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 7, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm a web designer. Don't think that will work much in national security. Thanks though. I will keep an eye on Monster. I need to get out of PA ;)

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The white Olympia driver also puts in time at Kettler. He told me how to get to the hospital when I had my teeth knocked out.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@cappies,

I'm a web guy too. There are a ton of opportunities in Northern VA alone.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Bernie,
Most professional football teams in Europe started between 1870ish and 1900, although some smaller team sprouted each decade since. Therefore lots of rivalries here are not that much older than the NY-Bos one, however we do have lots of "old" rivalries as opposed to just one.

Also, only playing each other twice a year (home/away) with the possibility of meeting in a knockout competition like the FA Cup means when rivals do meet it is highly anticipated.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@_jordan

I know it's not funny (or wasn't funny) but that made me laugh. I'm trying to work that recommendation into something that enhances our Olympia and/or ice stature.

Sorry about the teeth.

Posted by: saintex | January 7, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan... Just wondering if an opposing rivals fan were in your stadium being very respectful and completely quiet would they still be hassled and jeered?

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@ saintex,

It's actually pretty funny now since I was able to keep the teeth.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Boo,
Other comments are right Locker and Joe B didn't seem to be picking up exactly was was wrong.

Maybe Philly were complaining that the clean ice was wider at Biron's end than it was at JT's. This would give the Caps shooter more room to play with on good ice. As Biron was in nets maybe he was just the one who spotted it first (he would have had the best angle) and brought it to the attention of the bench/refs.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hi, my name's Tom and I'm a Theodore detractor. I didn't think I'd be able to kick the habit and get the monkey off my back, but maybe I will. I said he needed to steal a game and I guess we can say he did. I also said he needed to play well for as long as he played lousy. Theodore is 40th out of 46 qualifiers in GAA, so there's certainly room to move up. Let's just say I'm in recovery but not healed.

I'm still a Nylander detractor. I'll be renting a larger room for those meetings, judging by the posts here.

Those Philly writers really sink to the level of their readers, don't they? Is that pandering or what? Are there any real papers in Philadelphia or just those two tabloids?

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Re: FA Cup,

How great was it to see City get bounced by Nottingham Forest?

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@_jordan

In your mouth or in a jar?

Posted by: saintex | January 7, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

If Nylander doesn't turn the puck over for an immediate goal against, it seems like he's in the box for one.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@ saintex,

Haha.. In my mouth. I was able to push a couple back in before I drove to the hospital, and they said that was the best thing I could have done.

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh..

Its lovely was a dose of healthy will do to an already good team.

All of a sudden the defense looks better...
Jose looks a lot better...

We are 5 out of 1st place... That's 5. Amazing stuff.

I'm hungover... So bare with my post...
I hate Philly...
I walked up a dude wearing a Briere sweater and asked him...
"Of all the great Flyers of the past and some of the good players you have now, why on Earth do you have a Briere sweater?"
He only shrugged his shoulders...

Almost got into it with a dude in the Metro, when I said "Next stop, DuPont Cir, Flyers fans exit to the left".

Whatever... I thought it was funny, don't judge.

Is it me, or is Fehr really good at grinding and somehow flinging the puck towards the net from any location? Someone should be there when this happens, he'd have more points.

Another game down. 57 points.
Bring on Columbus.

Posted by: JSchon | January 7, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I know the Caps won and all, but a shootout is such a terrible way to end a hockey game

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 7, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Where is everyone going before the games now, The Turtle? I've got 3 games in DC this year. I can't freakin wait... Where is The Turtle by the way?

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

All in all a good game. Folks-Philly is a good team, and played a good game against us, especially after a 12 day road trip. Their writers bemoaning the fact that they were hurt and without players is just whining - we are still missing a chunk of our line-up too. It felt like a playoff game, and the two teams put in an effort like it was a playoff game.

Holy Crap - can you imagine if Ovie connected on that hit with Carter? He may have died- seriously!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 7, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@ lylewimbledon,

I said "Carter would have died on the ice right there. Ovechkin would have killed a man on the ice."

Posted by: _jordan | January 7, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@cappies: Depends on your field. In general it's pretty good -- one thing that never gets smaller is the government, and especially government contracting. One thing, though, a lot of them require eligibility for security clearances, so be aware of that.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

WTF_Fehr

In my ideal world, I'd never move Kozzie off the top line. But I've also drunk the kool-aid and believe that there are 3 components you need on a line to make it successful (note, they don't have to be separate guys, 1 guy can fill 2 roles).

1. Finisher.
2. Playmaker
3. Puck Possession guy

In the case of our top line, we know who 1 and 2 are. But 28 is a #1 not a #3. That's why Kozzie is so valuable, and why he makes every line he's on better.

I'd like to see:
8/19/25
21/91/28
14/92/16
Grinders.

Vs. teams that we need extra physical punch, let Nyls and Fehr or Flash sit, and replace each with Stecks and Clark. Adjust 3rd and 4th lines to fit.

Going forward, if healthy, I can see a rotation of Gordon, Bradley, Steckel, Fehr and Clark. Kind of odd to be rotating your captain in and out of the lineup. Maybe he gets full-time 4th line slot, and Brash gets rotated.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,
You? Almost getting into a fight? I'm shocked :)

cappies,
Away fans are usually segregated into a specific area of the stadium. If there were one or two in with the home fans they would be ok providing they weren't making themselves known. Often they will be ejected for their own safety. Sad but true. The Away section does have advantages though and creates a better atmosphere.

Section 117,
It was hilarious. The richest club in the World embarassed at home like that. Only just stopped laughing!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@cappies

The Green Turtle is at the Verizon Center. You can't miss it.

Posted by: saintex | January 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:15 AM

Cappies, you'll do just fine down here! Government hires a LOT of IT - I'm in IT contracting and have been here for years. Hit Monster and Dice and maybe Thingamajob, you'll find something.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ok so last night was fun and all but staying up until 3am on a school night is not conducive to much work being completed the following day. Therefore, I’ve looked at the remaining schedule to see if/when there are any early starts.

Seems there are 9 games remaining that start before 7pm Eastern (Midnight GMT). Of these 8 of the 9 are Saturdays or Sundays. The only weekday one is Monday 19th January away at the Isles which has a 2pm start Eastern (7pm GMT). Am I right in thinking 19th is a holiday in the US then? Martin Luther King Day?

A 7pm start for me will make a nice change. When I see that it says “Dave, get beer in for the 19th, Caps hockey after dinner!”

Another highlight from the early starts is Superbowl weekend (31st Jan/ 1st Feb) with two afternoon home games against the Wings on the Saturday and Sens on Sunday. Hockey from 5:30pm my time followed by the Superbowl!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

I'm not a fighter, I'm a joker... A midnight toker... Get my loving on the run... (insert really cool whammy bar guitar)

Posted by: JSchon | January 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if FiOs is planning on showing Friday's game on channel 1? I've been trying to schedule it for a week now and they still don't have it listed in the guide. I'm going to end up having to schedule a manual recording and take my chances.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 7, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

DaveUK,
Sure, as we know the anticipation cannot be duplicated with repetition. I think we are getting close to that level here in the colonies and hopefully the civic pride follows as well. To me, NCAA Football seems to have more so than pro sports here in the US, but I think it is getting better mate.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,
Do some people call you Maurice?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Just like the players, fans and coached are all talking trash, I think Tarik should start talking trash about those Filthydelphia writers. After all, one of those articles referenced the Wash Post. It really will be a rivalry once the two teams' sportswriters go toe-to-toe.

Tarik: When Semin gets those lessons from Brash, maybe you want to sit in too. You'll be doing it for the fans.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 7, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks KittyPawz! My new year's resolution will be to move to DC, find a bunch of Caps friends like you and then raid their refrigerators ;)

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan: Yup, the 19th is Martin Luther King Day. Looking forward to that trip up to New York (it's only about five hours' drive, and I'm following that with a trip to Ottawa to see Caps @ Senators on the 20th. I don't want to be anywhere near this area for Inauguration Day, and the Caps give me a great excuse to fle the scene for a few days. Talk about a clusterf*** of epic proportions.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 7, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That would be great to see Obama adopt the Caps into his local hobbies. Has there ever been a president who appeared at Caps games?

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I see that practice was cancelled today. Rats. Was hoping to get an update on Clark.

The whole resurfacing the resurfaced ice was odd. I watched Biron and he seemed jittery while Jose had his arm around the ref and seemed much more confident.

Any bets on who would have taken the fourth attempt during the shootout if Jose had not stopped Carter? Something tells me it would not have been Nylander. My bet is on Backstrom. Of course, who knows, maybe Bradley was ready to jump over the boards again :)

Posted by: Kim-3 | January 7, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else not convinced on Fehr yet? Still waiting for him to hit the net with a shot. Think he plays well along the boards and backchecks with passion...just not convinced yet.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 7, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Steve Miller Band... Underrated
Flyers... Overrated

Posted by: JSchon | January 7, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

i think fehr is tradebait now, i was never sold on him and he can't bury one to save his life now

Posted by: _stevo | January 7, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I hate that Washington got stuck in the Southeast Division. Every division in the Eastern Conference ought to have to have a few clubs from the Southeast.

How does anyone get excited about Florida, Tampa, Atlanta or Carolina as rivals? Its not going to happen.

And they are not our natural rivals! Stick a couple in the Atlantic, stick a couple in the Northeast and do away with the Southeast all together... It sucks!

We need to be in a division that includes some of our natural rivals. More Philly, more Pittsburgh, more Devils, more Rangers and less Southeast!

Let some of the other Eastern Conference teams share the joy of the Southeast.

Posted by: muddapucker | January 7, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Bernie,
I understand your point about college football. It amazes me that so many people come out to support kids basically. There are Premier League teams that would kill for those sorts of attendances. Two different things completely though eh?

Kitty,
Thanks - is there many travelling with you to NY? Make some noise!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 7, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@_Stevo

It's a shame because I think he might be decent especially with his size. I just think there are 11 others just as capable in Hershey right now, yet he keeps his spot. I would like to see Oskala on that line.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 7, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@muddapucker

That is the best idea i've heard in a long time. Put us in the Atlantic.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 7, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Nashville would be a more natural fit for the Southeast than Washington...why not consider EC/WC realignment too?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | January 7, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@stevo and lyle

Keep in mind that Fehr is 1st or 2nd line guy. He isn't a grinder, he is now proving that he can be a grinder.

Personally, I think he needs to play with more skilled players to make any judgment on him.

Posted by: JSchon | January 7, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

As SOON as we trade Fehr, he becomes Jason Allison....frustrating

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Looking Ahead: Really really Good News (update)

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabers (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run...

GMGM and Coach need to encourage ample time off for our injured to get healthy. No need to rush Feds back. (Really)

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 7, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Cappies,
I'm in defense contracting, and I can say web design is very big here in DC. Like Kitty mentioned, a bulk of gov't contracting requires cleared personnel so most if not all web apps are done internally. Gov't or with a contractor, IT is target rich and somewhat recession insulated. Mind you, a clearance might take some time but I'm all for another Caps Fan to Rock The Red with me!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

As SOON as we trade Fehr, he becomes Jason Allison....frustrating

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:17 AM
-------------------------------------------
Including the frequent injuries?

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Fehr is not a sufficient trade for the salary issues on the blue line. Nylander or Fedorov need to go, and neither of them is going anywhere. Fedorov adds value as a mentor, and no other GM in his right mind would want Nyls. I like the guy, but he's not producing and has a huge salary. Alzner's going back down in the short run. Eventually Poti and/or Pothier will be back and then we can trade one of them.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 7, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Since we all know how biased the Philly media is in reporting on the Flyers, I found this quote from the Daily Times of Delaware County (philly suburb) verrrry interesting...

"However, the Flyers caught a break on the opening shift of the third period when Nylander was called for a phantom hooking penalty."

Phantom hooking penalty it certainly was!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | January 7, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

As SOON as we trade Fehr, he becomes Jason Allison....frustrating

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:17 AM
-------------------------------------------
Including the frequent injuries?
-------------------------------------------
Are you saying once he started putting up numbers you didnt wish you had him back?

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

muddapucker

A post or so ago I suggested that they bring back the Patrick division. Playing with good teams makes the Caps a better team, too.

I thought that both teams played pretty good. The Caps main fault that I saw was an oldie - no one in front of their net. Most of the shots were from outside, and one and done. No rebound shots.

I was pleased to see that some of our D actually put their guys on their wallets when they tried to set up shop in front of JT. Now if they could do that every game!

Posted by: Greg S. | January 7, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I get the feeling that Pothier is damaged goods.

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Eventually Poti and/or Pothier will be back and then we can trade one of them.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 7, 2009 11:27 AM
-------------------------------------------
Those two are over 30 and are $3.5m and $2.5m (respectively) cap hits who would be coming off injury. Trading them gets you maybe $.60 on the dollar.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm still scratching my head over the Bradley and Erskine resignings.

Pothier has ZERO trade value until he plays again for a while.

Poti, Nylander, Morrisonn are the only guys worth trading. Fedorov isn't going anywhere.

Poti still has 3 years left on his contract, Nylander has 2.

Posted by: JSchon | January 7, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:31 AM
-------------------------------------------
Not at all (though him and Oates scored about even in points and GP the next 5 years afterwards), just that one came with the other.

Besides, I'm still sore that they never matched the Stevens offer sheet.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how much Bouwmeester would cost. Impossible dream, yes. But I've dreamt worse (better?).

Posted by: Zornado | January 7, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

WTF_Fehr

Not Allison, remember he couldn't skate. I am surprised that Fehr skates so well.

Posted by: sidehillman | January 7, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Ask Anaheim. Virtually the only guy they have signed past this year is Pronger.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, the only d-man. Let someone rent Boumeester while he signs elsewhere For $6m per.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

sidehillman

Yup, we said the same thing about Brunette too. Both put up numbers, and Brunette is still doing it.

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

To be fair, if Brunette couldn't score 25 goals playing with Sakic, Forsberg, and Hedjuk, then he should be donkey punched.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Here is as good a reason as any to get rid of Nylander.
G G A P +/-
Nylander---40 3 15 18 3

Steckle ---38 5 7 12 2

Gordan ---38 5 7 12 1

In my opinion, Stecks & Gordo are much better defensively. Certainly on the penalty kill.

Posted by: sidehillman | January 7, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

People are starting to figure out Nylanders little skating circles. I mean they just skate near him and stop, he comes right back to them....its a...circle? Boom, turnover!

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 7, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Hate, violence... such big words for what occurs at North American sports facilities. Go to a soccer game in Europe or South America. Then you'll see what real hate is.

Even NFL rivalries are nothing. C'mon, you guys tailgate together!

American sports fans are extremely civilized and the talk of hate and violence is amusing to me.

What you're talking about here is child's play. Geeky white colar workers pretending to be tough. Even the toughest of Flyers fans would get their knickers in a bunch were they to end up among rival fans wearing a wrong jersey in Europe or South America.

Anyway, feel free to continue to pretend and amuse me further.

Posted by: ranndino | January 7, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@ ranndino...There's a reason there are fences and police in riot gear between rival fan sections and the playing field at soccer matches around the world.

Do you say that w/ a sense of pride? That's crazy. When it's all said and done...it's just a game. And we think it's studip when gang members jump on people for wearing the wrong colors.

Posted by: 180x | January 7, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 7, 2009 9:06 AM

@trunkenmath:

Please! Although 100's seats are priced such that only well-to-do STH's can usually afford them, compare with pricing for a football game:

Bad seats for a Redskins game--last time I checked--were in the $80.00 range...IF you could get them. FedEx Field seats 91,704.

By contrast, VC seats 18,277. 400's cost as little as $25.00, making the Caps one of the most affordable major sporting events in DC and the most reasonably priced tix in the NHL.

You do the math.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 7, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 7, 2009 9:06 AM

That is wishful thinking, they are neither too rich nor too educated. They are more like a bunch of drunkards misspending money, but that is true in every sport. I would give caution to those planning to bring their kids to the games. During last night game, behind me, there were a couple of groups of intoxicated morons who thought that cursing and fighting with each other was better than watching the game.
Ok. I am being unfair, they don't also do not represent the average fan; they are the minority who will fight over multimilliondollar athletes and gives the fan a bad name.

Posted by: opita | January 7, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse