Morning Reading List

vs penguins1.jpg

AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar

The Capitals snapped their losing streak with an explosive 6-3 win over the Penguins as much of the hockey world watched some of the NHL's biggest stars meet in a game filled with off-ice subplots. But it was Alex Ovechkin, who lived up to his star reputation the most, with two goals and a primary assist in the third period to lead Washington and snap his own four-game goal drought.

*Here are the Penguins' perspectives on the game from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and Tribune Review.

*ESPN's Scott Burnside offers his take on the latest installment of the "grudge-match."

*Florida General Manager Jaques Martin was also at Mellon Arena last night and Pierre LeBrun has a few guesses at which players he might be scouting.

*The Hockey News gives you their Top 10 players who hit, with a name you might recognize at the No. 1 spot.

*The latest installment of NHL.com's spotlight on captains features Chris Clark, who was a healthy scratch during the win against the Penguins.

*For those who were unable to watch last night's game or if you just want to see clips again, here's the highlight reel.

*Here are a few Caps/Penguins rivalry stories that went up yesterday after the morning reading list from Puck Daddy, The Hockey News and Sports Illustrated, along with their Alex Ovechkin-Sidney Crosby photo gallery.

In the system:
*After a strong first half of the season, the Bears lost their third straight in another lopsided defeat to the Albany yesterday as the River Rats dismantled Hershey for a 7-2 win.

*Stack The Pads has pictures of Daren Machesney's new mask.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 15, 2009; 7:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 6, Pens 3
Next: The Interview That Keeps Giving

Comments

Nice job in that first article you linked by Barry Svrluga.

"Alexander Semin, too, was booed when the puck came his way -- and especially when his second-period goal tied the game -- because the Capitals winger had degraded Pittsburgh's sacred son, Sidney Crosby, who won the MVP two seasons ago and beat out Ovechkin as rookie of the year four seasons ago. "

Last I checked Ovechkin won the Calder not Crysby. Another fine editing job.

Posted by: _Tim | January 15, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Check out TSN's player rankings! They are Canadian and Cindy is nowhere to be seen! Malkin comes in at number three, but that whining sack of crap does not even make the board. I was so hoping he would see the knife after last night's game, would have been the perfect cap to the win.

Posted by: majiksea | January 15, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Eh glad its over. I hate the pens.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 15, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Ok, a few observations having only seen the highlights. Watching them when you don’t know the score can make for a pretty exciting few minutes!

How good was Ovie when he needed to be? Nice one big fella.

Ovie – Backs – Vic, not broke, therefore no repairs necessary. Plus the Flash, Feds, Semin line looks good too.

How was that not a trip on Brads behind their net on the 5-on-3 breakaway? It was a pity Brads touch was a little heavy meaning Fleury could get out to the puck. Had he controlled it better we could have seen more of the famous Bradley shootout technique.

Although Bruce says we didn’t get any dirty goals, we did get a couple from crashing the net and picking up rebounds (Ovie’s first and Flash’s). If you want bread…. etc etc etc

4 points from 4 in Pittsburgh this year :)

Reading the comments posted during the game it was funny how DannyBoy never came back to say how he was glad the boys proved him wrong. Also strange how cstanton was giving it out big time but when the Caps went ahead for good there was nothing. Does C stand for Cheef?

Davethecapsfan, Boo is right. It’s always Man Utd or Utd or the Reds or United but its never ManU. Well unless you hate them. It goes back to the 60’s and Utd fans hate it. Anyway, welcome along. I guess people will get us mixed up. So you’re a Caps/Skins fan like me and also like Utd. Spooky, it’s a bit like that movie “Single White Female”! Do you look like a young Robert De Niro too?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Dave,

Sorry about Rooney, guessing it's not major?

Posted by: Section117 | January 15, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

On the goal that Ovie flipped in high, it looked like he tripped the D as he pulled the puck back for his shot. Don't know if that was callable but good thing the ref was behind the net.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | January 15, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow, had a look through some of the comments on the Pens Blog Sombrero posted on the previous thread. Have to say they are a classless bunch. I think the worst example is “I hope their plane crashes” when referring to the Caps. How bad is that? Btw, it was pretty difficult picking a winner in the Most Classless Comment competition, there was plenty of choice.

The link that Oneal posted on the previous thread (thanks Oneal) to the Post-Gazette was interesting. There is a lot of good game day content and plenty of post game stuff (videos etc) on there already. Tarik you need to get a camera for your birthday this year. It was cool to see plenty of Caps jersey at the Mellon last night from the photos on there. Does anyone know the guy in the Russian Semin jersey? Cool jersey.

Biggest laugh on that blog? The video of the guy dancing to Cotton Eyed Joe. What is it with that song at hockey games? Sheffield Steelers used to play it over here in the 90s and it was out-dated then!

Also, the “Hey Song” played after Pittsburgh score. Its actually called Rock and Roll and its by Gary Glitter, once 70s Glam Rocker now convicted paedophile. Not sure any of his music would be played anywhere in the UK anymore. Guess that news didn’t travel.

Best quote off the Post-Gazette blog “Alex Ovechkin entered the the third with a pedestrian game by his standards and just took it over. He outplayed Crosby and Malkin and won this game.”

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope we can shore the D up from within the orginIztion and not trade Semin.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 15, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

someone on thepensblog commented
"has there ever been a more classless player in this league than Ovechkin? If I was a craps fan I would have been embarassed by that display."

seriously? are all pens fans this delusional?

Posted by: sirbobalew | January 15, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

sirbob,
If that pensblog is anything to go by, then yes they are.

117,
3 weeks they reckon plus Evans and Tevez picked up knocks too. 2 points now with a game in hand. Utd fans were singing "Rafa's cracking up" last night!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

also, now that i read some of the links here...is Pierre LeBrun serious? Would GMGM actually trade Semin? For Jay Bouwmeester?

Posted by: sirbobalew | January 15, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Where the heck is DannyBoy1975!! He boldly, and confidently declared in capital letters that the Caps would LOSE last night. I told him yesterday that I expected him to come here and say that he was wrong, but of course, he's not around.

As for last night's game...WOW. Even though the Caps didn't explode until the 3rd they looked like the 2nd place team in the conference and the Pens looked like a team just trying to get into the playoffs. If not for the balony penalty call leading to the Pens 3rd goal, the blowout would have begun even earlier. After OV's goal to go up 3-2 the Pens were hanging on for dear life the next shift. Once we got the luck bounce to make it 5-3 it was OVER. Congrats to the Caps for coming out ready to play. Luckily they had a game yesterday or BB would have torn them up yesterday. Hopefully they earned a stay of execution due to last night's performance and will even get a day off today. They can hit the ice tomorrow to get ready for the 1 vs 2 game on Saturday. I'm headed down to Richmond for the weekend because my son has a pair of games down there. I hope to GOD the hotel in Richmond has COMCAST. If not I'll listen to it through the laptop. My other son's happy as heck though because he gets to use our 4 STs to bring his friends to the game. Should be a playoff atmosphere.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The Caps now have one of the best organizations in hockey. The Penguins are dysfunctional. They are led by the glamour boy of hockey who is turning out to be somewhat of an embarrassment. Then you have Malkin, who looks like Herman Munster. Crosby can be Eddie Munster. If they had Barry Trotz, then they'd have Grandpa too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 15, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Utd fans were singing "Rafa's cracking up" last night!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 9:09 AM

They're not far off, that's for sure.

Posted by: Section117 | January 15, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

UKDave:
Sombrero actually scared cstanton away - if you look you will see that cstanton stopped posting after Sombrero addressed him (that Sombrero - such a bully!). BTW, surprised that you had no comments for me about NewDave - I was expecting a bit of a lashing for that. You're slipping ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 15, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan: We do actually know the song is called Rock and Roll Pt II, and we know that Glitter is a multiple convicted paedophile which is why the song is not played in most cities (including DC) anymore. Says a lot that Pittsburgh still plays it.

Posted by: ds_kelly | January 15, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Katie: More images like that would be great in the morning reading list :)

It's a nice change from the normal walls of text!

Posted by: Semvechkin | January 15, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:

1) Malkin, Crosby, Pittsburgh, Richards, Carter, Philadelphia, and anyone who suggests Ovechkin is a dirty hitter are all absolutely out of their minds. In reality, Ovechkin hits legally, but so hard that he crushes people and they have nothing to do but whine and attempt to retaliate. I say attempt because it was clear that Malkin and every other Penguin was trying to cheap shot OV any chance they got. Ironically, unless you throw an elbow/crosscheck from behind on him, you will end up on the ground. Win-win for OV and the Caps.

2) Semin's comment about Crosby not being special is really not far from the truth. He is a very good playmaker, but he is not a game changer...like OV and Semin, who would probably lead the league in points right now if it weren't for his injuries, for that matter. I think Backstrom has a similar skill set as Crosby and may eventually prove to be better than him.

3) The articles posted by Tarik from the Pittsburgh media are crap. They are poorly written and do nothing but tritely summarize the game and attempt to negatively portray the Caps at any point (one of them insinuated that Steckl hit Crosby, causing his injury; I believe Steckl dove to play the puck and Crosby fell over him).

All in all, awesome win, the state of Pennsylvania continues to get worse and worse as the year goes by. Go Caps!

Posted by: crazycarl16 | January 15, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

There is no way we'd be willing to trade Semin for Bouwmeester. If Semin had been healthy all year we'd be looking at Ovie, Semin, Crosby and Malkin in the top four in scoring. Plus, I'd take our top 2 lines of Ovie-Backstrom-Koz and Flash-Feds-Semin against any other two in the league!

Posted by: imgr8 | January 15, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

So who here honestly thought the Caps would win last night.

I honestly thought they'd get spanked. So I was pleasantly surprised.

Great team win. Hope the dude that got hit in the head by Green's shot is ok - that looked painful.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 15, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Boo,
I thought about it but decided if I mentioned Mickey Mouse pjs it might catch on. Best to let it go!

Section117,
It sure looks that way. Bit early for pressure though, long way to go yet.

ds_kelly,
I was 99% sure it wasn't played in DC but didn't want to say "says something about Pittsburgh" and then be told by everyone it was also played in DC!

Chicago plays "Chelsea Dagger" by The Fratellis, Scottish band. CHI/BUF was game of the week over here last night and I watched a little this morning. British music must make good goal celebration music.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@Dave (from previous post)
Totally disagree on Schultz. Apparently that's just me, but I can't stand his slowness and lack of physical presence/determination. We play worse with him in the line-up imho. Also I didn't like Erskine... yes, he brings physicality, but he was out of positions many times, and that affects the whole team.

On a positive note, maybe we don't need a veteran D after all (I still like Collins though)... the whole team look a lot better, D included, when they all play like in the third period yesterday, with grit and determination. Next big test: BOS on Saturday. What a game that will be!

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait for the B's game at the Phone Booth. Big Time Saturday Night Hockey in DC.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 15, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Semin will not get traded. LeBrun gave no basis or reasoning for naming him as the probable target.

I thought they would win because they are a better team and would not tolerate losing a fourth game in a row.

Posted by: crazycarl16 | January 15, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

It was a solid effort all around last night. The first six minutes drove me crazy with the penalties but I've got nothing but props for everyone. That kind of energy can be dazzling.

Posted by: saintex | January 15, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Rock and Roll Part II was played after our goals last season. Pedophile or not, good sports song. However, I like the music and the onscreen video for our goal celebrations this year much better!

Posted by: crazycarl16 | January 15, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

seriously? are all pens fans this delusional?

Posted by: sirbobalew | January 15, 2009 8:58 AM
-----------------------

It's not just the Pens fans. I was in Hershey (terrible Bears game!)last night so I didn't get to see the Caps game live. When I got home FoxPittsburgh was showing a replay of the game so I decided to stay up and watch it. Those Pens announcers make me sick. They did nothing but criticize Ovechkin and Semin all night, constantly bringing up Semin's Crosby comments, and the Ovi-Malkin feud, and saying Ovechkin was reckless and headstrong and had to be stopped before he hurts someone with one of his "legal hits." What a load of crap! And the whining about injuries! Like no other team has to deal with injuries. The only nice thing I heard them say about the Caps was to praise Fedorov for that sweet pass he made to set up Semin. But of course they tempered that by reminding viewers that Feds is 39 years old. I have the Comcast broadcast recorded. Guess I'll have to go back and watch that to get the true picture of the game.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 15, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

honestly people, who gives a flip what the Pens fans or press have to say!?!? it is time for the Caps to worry about our team and forget about all of the hype from others. Pens are beaten and done (for now) and the future return of Sergei Gonchar will not make that much of a difference. move on to more interesting topics.

Posted by: doughless | January 15, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I had to watch the Pens feed on Center Ice. It was ridiculous. I never seen coverage of a guy lacing his skates for 5 minutes and explaining how original Crosby is when it comes to tieing his skates up. But still, nothing compared to Phillies commentators. In a way I love to see how bias they can be. It just shows how Ovechkin gets under their skin.

Posted by: cappies | January 15, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Boston on Saturday. Expect a much more difficult game. Should be just as intense.

Posted by: cappies | January 15, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I hope they leave Clark scratched, the Laich Nylander Fehr line had alot of chances. Nylander was actually forechecking deep in the O zone for once. Laich could have had a hat trick.

Posted by: ohaque23 | January 15, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

LeBrun's article was okay because he said it "would likely take Semin" or something along those lines to get Bouwmeester here.

At that, it's still a stupid thing to say as Semin is worth WAY more than Bouwmeester is. Semin is much more valuable to his team than Bouwmeester is, even though the Panthers are surging.

And I've been heard on here singing Bouwmeester's praises trying to find a possibility to get him here, but there's no way in hell that he's worth Semin.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 15, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Benching Captain Chris Clark was "the logical choice." -BB

Captain is in the Dog house- he may be trade bait as the Caps have proven they don't need him. 4pts=29 games +/-=-5...projected point total for 59 games is 7 pts!I think he may be a good locker room guy, and injuries have hurt him; come on now - you have got to do more as a captain than cheerlead and push guys after the whistle. Anyway, It's pretty obvious who leads this team nowadays.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cappies | January 15, 2009 9:54 AM

Watched the local coverage on Comcast and was disgusted that they kept flipping the cameras over to "Cindy ties his skates" and "Cindy is crying cuz he got a boo-boo" while there was action going on.

I sincerely believe that Crosby is to soft and sensitive for this game. Perhaps he needs retire early and focus more on promoting his line of hot pink lip gloss
or perhaps give acting school a shot. Canada needs some soap opera actors right?

Posted by: CapManJ | January 15, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

schultz, morrison and fehr for boumeister

that would make all my dreams come true

Posted by: _stevo | January 15, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Cappies, Center Ice also had the away feed last night. They had two games with both feeds, and the Caps game was one of them.

Of course, I didn't find that out until after the first period, so I had to sit through that crap for the first twenty minutes of play.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@mauree: "Overall the team looked just terrible in the first two periods, so let's not celebrate too much."

Not sure why you made that comment. The Caps were tied 2-2 and outshooting the Pens 24 to 17 after 2 periods. I thought it was a solid showing from puck drop to final horn. Of course that's just my opinion.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

lyle: I'm afraid I've got to concur. I was glad to see that Boudreau was willing to bench the captain (as some here have said for a while that he ought to) and that it worked.

I liked the Laich/Nylander/Fehr line - they had lots of chances and set themselves up in front of the net really well.

Was anyone more surprised by Schultz's goal than Schultz himself?

Concedo on the OBK line. 8-19-25 is money and needs to stay together. 91 seems to stabilize 28 and keep him on an even keel - keep it! 14 fits with that line too.

Was not crazy about Steckel again last night, though it wasn't as bad.

./~ Oh DannyBoy, the blog, the blog is calling you .... ./~

I thought we started getting it together in the latter half of the second, and in the third, it just clicked and we tore the game open. Now, can we please play like that for 60 minutes against the Bruins Saturday? Please?

@mauree: I don't think we need a veteran D either, nor do I think we need a goalie. When we get it together and play our system and break stuff down like we did in the second half of the game, we don't need a Martin Brodeur.

Felt bad for Scuderi. Taking a Green slapper in the face is ow. Hope he's okay.

Shout out to numero94 and the peeps down at Mister Days last night. Was a good time. Glad to meet Greg S. and all the others I hadn't seen before.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

erskine, morrison and clark for boumeister

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

It was a great effort from everyone. Very few mistakes after the first period, and even then, there weren't too many issues. Of the three goals scored by the Pens, Theo had no chance on all of them. The second one was the only real breakdown... Satan has been a Caps-killer for years and has 350 goals in his career, how do you lose track of him. The other goals were a great shot by Malkin and a *perfect* slap shot by Whitney (no goalie saves that puck unless they are out of position.)

Kudos to Fleischmann for diving to the puck to get there for the shot. If he tries to step to it, the Pens sweep it away. Great job by Ovie getting free of Staal to get his first goal, and a nice second goal, even if Whitney doesn't redirect it, Nick Backstrom does at exactly the same angle.

Good things happen when you go to the front of the net, the Caps did that last night and it showed. The benching of Clark was a message to everyone: No one is immune and no one is above being scratched if they don't work hard.

As someone who once had a letter (an A) in high school hockey, it may have been a scheme cooked up by Clark and Bruce to scratch Clark to motivate the rest of the team ("If he'll scratch the captain, maybe I'm next...")

Great job all around.

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | January 15, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

i agree with Mauree, Caps were mediocre in the first period and 1/2

Posted by: doughless | January 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

that said, i was very happy to see Caps in front of Pens net ALL GAME LONG!!!! we need to keep this up.

Posted by: doughless | January 15, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@ _steveo: I was just joking about my erskine, morrison and clark for bouwmeester crack. I know you're an Erskine fan so I thought I'd "f" with you. Now, I am a true believer in making trades outside of your division. Preferably outside the entire conference, but no matter what we think of boumeester we need to leave him alone. The Panthers are above .500 and we DO NOT want former players coming back to haunt us.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

John: I watched the Pens feed since it had a clearer picture than the caps feed. For whatever reason, Center Ice gives the poorest picture of anything I watch (58" HD), even poorer than old westerns. Comcast is one of the blurriest, so sometimes I watch the enemy broadcast just to get better picture. I didn't think the Pens announcers were too bad. They were very honest that the 4-min on Brashear was "phantom" and it was done by Pitt stick. Afterward, they didn't complain too much when Caps got the benefit of quick whistle and most penalty calls. You want a whiny homer, Denis Potvin (Panthers) and the Chief Bobby Taylor (Lightning) can be really annoying. Especially Potvin. He's awful.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 15, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

They will not trade Semin. Think that speculation is crazy whomever wrote that.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"You know how I know your gay?"

You do a stupid a hip dance on your knees after scoring! I'm sure Malkin does all his scoring on his knees.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

score-wise was ok but SOG doesn't mean we're doing good... there was no traffic in front of the net and Fleury could see them coming from miles away. I'm talking not about "effort" but determination - that came in the third period.

@steveo replace Fehr with Erskine and I'm with you 100%.

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin, the subject of heavy hits (or attempted hits) by a number of Penguins, including archnemesis Evgeni Malkin, took it all and turned it back on the hometown Penguins, scoring twice and adding an assist on the winning goal in a performance that will do little to dissuade those who believe he is the best hockey player on the planet right now.

At least Burnside gets it!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

There is no way Semin would be on the move for Bouwmeester or anyone really for that matter. That would be a horrible deal for us. Sure, we really could use one more steady blue liner, but not for Semin. It would most likely be a player like Flash. Considering the season he's been having, that would be unlikely as well. The only player I can see being on the trading block is Nylander. Nylander for Bouwmeester would seem a little more fair to me, maybe throw in a 1st/2nd round pick as well. The only way I could see Semin going is if the deal was way too good to pass up, like if Detroit wanted to offload their top line, or if Semin started playing the bongos on our own guys or was just a jerk in general.

Posted by: jonsnoek | January 15, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The Post-Gaz story is written in chronological form ... that's usually a no-no for sports stories. It's especially a poor choice considering how exciting the third period of the Caps-Penguins was last night.

I also like how both Pittsburgh stories focus on the "day-to-day" injury of Crosby ... and try to ignore the fact that the Penguins lost AGAIN last night.

Posted by: Cerealman | January 15, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Roenick always has something interesting to say. Talking about how players should be more passionate about their play and hockey in general, he said in TSN.CA:

"Roenick also understands why hockey fans have taken more to the exuberance of Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin than the businesslike demeanor of Penguins cornerstone Sidney Crosby.

“Absolutely, it is the reason why he’s more popular,” Roenick said. “You know, Sidney reminds me a lot of Wayne Gretzky in the way he deals with the media. It’s like he’s watched tapes of Wayne as a kid and memorized all his lines. Wayne never went out of the ordinary in terms of what he said, and that was fine for him. But as a league you definitely need some of your key guys to step up and be colorful.

“Then you look at Ovechkin – his heart is on his sleeve, he’s out there smiling all the time, he’s talking during games, he’s jumping in the air after he scores, he’s not afraid to say what he wants to say during interviews.

“Every time he’s out there, he’s showing the people what a joy it is to play hockey. We need as many guys like him as we can get.”

Posted by: Greg S. | January 15, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Crosby was hit low along the boards by Washington center David Steckel..." - from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review article...this is absurd?!! He wasn't hit low, there was no intent to injure!? They just got tangled up. I hate journalism like this...it's such BS.

Posted by: badkarma723 | January 15, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Feel better. I'm glad you guys fixed the Calder thing online. I would hope a printed correction comes tomorrow. I'm suffering a cold as well, and I was reading that this morning and said "Man, I must really be sick, I could have swore that OV won the Calder..."

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 15, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

where's coach puck"guru" to discuss the lineups for this game? he sure was right about boudreau's messing with the lines last night. i mean, putting fehr back in and taking clark out was certainly got the chemistry back, huh? what, no CAPITAL letters about how you said helmer should be in the lineup all along? love to see how guys like that show up only after losses to throw stones, but don't have the cajones to show up after a big win.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 15, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Crosby injury- if you watch the play Steckle is diving along the boards to clear the puck and it's CROSBY who comes in for the hit and misses. He hurt himself by being clumsy.

Melrose said ovechkin is the best player in the world and picked the Caps to win the East. Glad he is back on ESPN and no longer putting up with the mess in Tampa. Poor Olie.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Observations from my crappy Mellon Arena seats:
* I think Crosby wanted that win so bad that his emotion took him way out of his game at times - just a hunch. And he got tied up with Stecks going for the puck - there was NOTHING other than that - he fell awkwardly, like he did last year and missed 23 games.
* Malkin had 12 shots? I found that hard to believe. But he was always a threat, more than Sid.
*The Arena is like a tomb - hardly any fan reaction or cheering outside of the goals. The majority of their fans are knowledgeable and will leave you alone even when you are rocking the Great 8's jersey. But they booed Semin much louder than Ovie last night.
*Green still looks lost - the Pens trap kept him at bay and he wasnt breaking out at all.
Our boys looked super cool and confident out there - the forecheck was awesome to watch. You just felt they were going to break loose with all the incredible chances they had.
Can't wait until Feb 22.

Posted by: basrfg | January 15, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

beating the pens last night made up for the 3 straight losses. OV's hit in the corner on Cindy was classic. Even better when Cooke tries to go after OV a few seconds later and takes a penalty. God I hate the pens and that one was extra rewarding.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 15, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

and hopefully last night put an end to semin on the first line!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 15, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Actually Stecks was playing the puck and tried to crouch/squeeze through the hit from Crysby. That sent Cindy over the top of Stecks. Looked pretty innocent.

After watching Flash score against the Oilers on a terrific solo effort and again last night while mucking it up in front, I couldn't help but reflect on Boo saying we should trade Flash a couple of days ago.

We always seem to play better when Fehr is in the lineup...

Green still gives up the puck way too much.

Burnside is an idiot. Semin for Bowmeester is barely even a consideration if we KNOW we can sign him long term. He is a UFA at the end of the season. NHL rules prohibit us from negotiating a deal before the trade so it is really a role of the dice. Look how that effected the Pens. They gave up a lot to get Hossa and then couldn't sign him and they have no depth now. Since we can't be guaranteed of signing Bowmeester, this would have to be a draft pick/minor leaguers/extra parts deal.

Did anyone else see 'La Grande Mullet' on Sportscenter? Barry Melrose picks the CAPS to win the eastern conference if we get any goaltending 'a tall'.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

At first I thought that Cindy had pulled her groin, then I remember that girls don't pull their groins. Then I realized he was just embarrassed and wanted to leave the ice before the final horn sounded. They should make Malkin their captain.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 15, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Wow ... a few minutes reading the R-rated comments on Pens Blog ... and now I'm smiling even more because for the Penguin fans, losing hurts them SO much.

Plus, some of their ignorant comments about hockey, officiating and broadcast excellence is just hilarious.

Posted by: Cerealman | January 15, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

lylewimb..You beat me to it re: MulletMan.

since74...I agree, 14/91/28 looked great and that gives us two REALLY strong scoring lines.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

the unvarnished truth is that while Crosby and Ovechkin are comparable players and both are leaders, the Canadian press and the fans voting for the all-star team in Canada seem to be very ethnocentric in favoring the Canadian, Crosby, at the expense of the 'foreigner', Ovechkin.

If Alex Oveckin's name was Alex Gordon I think you would see a far different slant on how he has been covered and treated.

Ovechkin has won awards simply because his record of achievement is that strong to make the case.

I think it's time for Canadians, who pride themselves on being more accepting of diversity in their society than Americans, to look inward and admit they have done this man an injustice.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 15, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

JR's comment about Ovechkin just reminded me why I've loved that guy as a player. The only time I cheered against him was when he was a Flyer. I wore, and now my son wears number 27 because of JR. He is someone who wears his heart on his sleeve too and is probably glad that it is OK to have playing hockey as a pro. Even Gretzky ran on his skates when a big goal was scored. Wayne had to be politically correct though because he WAS the only face for the NHL in modern day hockey. He brought the game a long way in his 20 years in the league.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Semin is untouchable in trade rumors. The offense and team was pretty successful while he was out for 20+ games. If there was an opportunity for the Caps to bring on a first-rate D'man, then I'd think long and hard about that offer.

Posted by: saintex | January 15, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I hate the Pens - man, it felt good to beat the crap out of those guys!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

saintex - I agree but don't. If we could get JB and he was signed for 3 yrs at 5m per, then it makes sense. Don't read in to what I said that Semin is too valuable to be traded. I think Semin is mentally weak (like Jagr) and follows others. When each have a strong presence around them (OV, Mario) they excel but will fail in the spotlight. Do I think Semin is a great talent? No doubt. Could he be traded and the team get better? Possibly. But I do not think it would be for an impending free agent.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

stupid staff meeting

@fanohock
i know you are busting my chops with erskine, which is fine because he has looked sharp since he came back.

Posted by: _stevo | January 15, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Trading Semin? Seriously...not a good idea. You'd piss off Ovie and loose one of the best upcoming snipers in the game.

We do need a rough and tumble D-man - but that class of player is no where close to Semin in value.

There will be other available big D-men at the deadline. We don't need to give up Semin to get one. We've got a ton of proven talent in Hershey that can go. Giroux might be a good fit.

Posted by: patrone | January 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

must be lunch time. Posts are running almost 10 minutes apart.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If Semin is traded GMGM would be a fool to trade him to another team in the East let alone our division. If he is traded, he needs to go to the West. IMHO, I don't see Semin going anywhere until the ownership and GMGM think the OV/Semin era has run its course. They just got on the same course last year at this time when Semin returned from injury. I am glad that BB split up OV and Semin because that once again gave us two legit scoring lines, and as others have said the line centered by 92 looked pretty darn good too. I hope the Pens don't get things fixed, but putting all of their eggs in one basket (Malkin and Crosby on the same line) is part of their problem. They score, sure, but did anyone else feel that as soon as that line left the ice there wasn't too much of a threat?

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Amen Patrone

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@Leeguru - While I'm certain your comment about girls not being able to pull their groin is meant as a shot on Crosby and not on women, I feel obliged to point out that a groin pull does not refer to the gentleman's "equipment," but the adductor muscles of the hip, and women most assuredly have those, too. So yeah, we can - and do - get groin pulls. And they hurt like nobody's business.

As a person, I hope Crobsy, Scuderi, and whassizname are all OK; as a hockey fan, if Crosby's injury causes him to miss the All-Star game, and puts Ovi in the starting lineup where he belongs, I shan't cry one single tear. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

With his stick penalties and being somewhat injury prone, Semin really can be hit or miss. Still, I would think it would take more than an UFA rental for McPhee to trade him.

Posted by: stormblue | January 15, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I thought JT was great early when the game was 1-0 Pens, he made a few excellent saves to keep the game close.

MAF is having a "off" year, it was rebounds galore, plus a few post we hit.

The Pens have issues ( alomost as much as their dillusional fans), it was a nice win, but it was a weak Pens team.

The real measuring stick will come Saturday against the "B's", we better bring our "A" game for a full 60 minutes!!

Last comment, speaking of announcers, the pens announcers are usally my least favorite to listen to during a game they are so home biased, but that one guy that does the Flames games realy irks me when someone scores......anybody know what I am talking about?? The way he say " scores" is irratating beyond belief.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 15, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Bouwmeester (?) is evidently a top player and thus worthy of a top player coming back. What lowers his price greatly is the fact he's a rental, good for this specific run at the Cup only. The Caps could dearly use him because with Chara, the B's are the stronger team right now. Semin is unlikely for two reasons: 1) he's Ovie's best pal and there's no reason to depress the great 8 right now and 2) Bouwmeester is unrestricted and thus just a rental. (Semin will be an ufa after next season, then he'll be someone's rental.)
Still, Bouwmeester will fetch more than a Nylander. Other possibilities are Kozlov or Flash or the combo of Laich and Fehr with a pick or prospect thrown in. No player we're likely to trade is good enough one on one for Bouwmeester even as a rental. And I hope we don't trade Flash.

Posted by: WritingLight | January 15, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Very happy about the result last night, but seriously, can we really be happy about the interference call on Cooke? Technically, sure, that was interference. Maybe the refs did that to try to take control of the game. But.... Come..... On!

It's nice to be able to be the beneficiary of some poor officiating for once. The phantom trip was hilarious (as bad as Sloan's hook in MON last week), and to me, in any other situation, Cooke's hit on Ovie would not be called. I'd even question the high stick on Sykora, but he was swinging that thing around like a gymnast ribbon so who knows.

Now, I also missed the first 15 min of the game, so I didn't get to see Geno's fracas, or any other incidents early in the game that were apparently questionable (brash's high stick?).

Anyone else feel like Nylander didn't get to play much towards the end of the game?

Overall, great game by most of the caps. Helmer looked a bit lost and made some questionable plays, but also had some very good defensive coverage.

71 had a breakaway late in the 2nd I think and got behind schultz. How the hell do you let the best player on the other team get behind you?

Mike Green: 18 seconds shy of 30 min. Let's get his time down a bit, please.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 15, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

IRTR,

yes, it was directed towards crosby. But, as point of reference, the "equipment" you refer to does make it easier for guys to suffer a groin pull. That was a debate our coed soccer team always had.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 15, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

dannyboy1975 is a kook.

you really care what he says?

maybe they should bench clark more often.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

So is a Mike Green hat trick now a goal, a turnover and someone coming out of the game with an ill-taken slapshot?
_stevo, I heard Erskine's name during the highlights last night on NHL OtF and thought of you. I believe their words were "No. 4, Erskine, he's a big rig." I kept waiting for something about getting walked or a bad penalty and *nothing*! It's like a parallel universe.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

To be quite honest I am not sure why any Caps fan think Bouwmeester is someone we need. We already have two proven puck moving defensemen in Poti and Green, and Alzner is not at a stay at home guy either. Green has more goals than him even though he has played significantly less games, and has a much better +/-. When I think of something we need on the blue line for the playoffs I think more on the lines of a stay at home, clear the crease defenseman. We have the flashy ones we need, just need someone on the ice and bench to keep them in check. Bouwmeester is not the answer we're looking for because if his stats are right on wikipedia he went to the AHL playoffs with the Chicago Wolves when he was 21, played in 18 games, had zero points, and 14 PIMs. I know he was young, but maybe he's not a playoff performer, that's the knock on Kozlov right, no playoff goals? On the other hand, our young puck moving defenseman, Mike Green has performed just as well in the playoffs as the regular season in the AHL and NHL. I think the need for Bouwmeester discussions can go away.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 15, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

WritingLight: GMs always overpay for rentals. The player is worth as much as any one GM will pay - see Forsberg, Smyth and Hossa in recent years for exorbitant overpayments for rental players. Bouwmeester will probably fetch a #1 and two good, young players. The reason the writer coupled him with Semin is the Caps are seventeen cents under the cap and would need to move $4.875M (exactly Nylander's figure) to bring in JB. The Caps would not be the logical choice to trade for him they have no cap room and it's usually expensive, near-UFAs for less expensive, younger players and picks.

Also, Semin is not UFA after next season but RFA. He can not be UFA until after the 2010-2011 season. I agree he is injury prone and makes dumb stick fouls but he's also lethal with a puck on his stick.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@Dave and others - I also am a huge Utd. fan. I just got my new long-sleeve jersey in the mail a couple of days ago, in fact, to go along with my old Solkjaer short-sleeve one. It is too bad about Rooney, but I hope they can push through now that they're so close to the top. Let's go, Reds! (and Rock the Red! Funny how the two go together, huh?)

However, I'm a Ravens fan, thankfully, as I live in Baltimore.

Great game last night! We started off slow, but we picked it up when we needed to. I hope we can carry that momentum over to Saturday when we have a much tougher test.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | January 15, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock: >>Alzner is not at a stay at home guy either
What??

Posted by: redlineblue | January 15, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

fanohock: I agree, I have posted many, many times that we need someone like Bob Rouse. Let's say you have a guy out there like Rouse, a veteran maybe 30-32, playoff experience, maybe makes in the $2M range, maybe $3M, UFA after the season, it might make really good sense to offer Mo for "Bob Rouse" as they would exchange positions in the lineup and then the Mo arbitration issue is over.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 15, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Play of the game for me was Alzner playing the 2-1 beautifully then poking the puck at the last second to deflect the shot.

Bouwmeester who?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I think they would be crazy to trade any forwards! All four lines rolled last night and chemistry is beginning to develope. Of course we can't control injuries but continuity is what they need. As good as the caps lines look a couple games in to this configuration, imagine it once they have played 20 or 30 together. Like maybe that strech run someone has mentioned once or twice. Trading Semin would be idiocy!!!!!!!

Posted by: bryaningrocery | January 15, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: imgr8 | January 15, 2009 9:31 AM

Except you have to look at players like Osala and Bouchard who could step into the top 2 lines. Osala seems the logical choice to replace Koz and maybe if you can get a genuine top 4 (and JayB fits that bill in spades) you pull the trigger on a deal involving either Green or Semin.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

If anything, Fleury is having an off career. Last year he had the defense to bail his ass out. This year, he's showing his true colors. He's not top 10, and I think he barely makes the top 20.

Posted by: Whitermage | January 15, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

green for bowmeester? on a rental....u r mental!!! what do you like about bow's game so much..defense?

Posted by: bryaningrocery | January 15, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Semin (1.41) is second to only Malkin (1.49) in points per game. Ovechkin is 3rd (1.33) and Crosby is 4th (1.31).

You also have to factor in that Semin is Ovechkin's buddy.

Bouwmeester would be a fine addition but not for Semin.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 15, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

As much as I dislike the Pens (but they do have very cool uniforms), I have to stick up for Malkin here. Imagine if you had a very good friend who you went on vacation with, went sightseeing with and roomed at the Olympics with all of the sudden want to take off your head every time your teams face each other. Wouldn't you all be taken aback or surprised by a good friend turning against you like that?

Whatever their issue is, the 8 should quit being so petty, call up Malkin, and try to work things out, especially before the Vancouver Olympics.

Posted by: playahatah | January 15, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

(Repost from last thread)

Cerealman:
Am I the only one who would like to see Satan on the Devils?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 8:36 PM

@--Boo--: I've been saying the same thing abouth Satan since he was with the Sabres. I'm sure that sportswriters everywhere have been drooling over the mind-boggling alliterative possibilities for years, e.g.:

"Satan, Devils burn Rangers again"
"Satan steals Panthers' Souls in Overtime Win"

And if he were to become the GM or owner in NJ:

"Satan, Devils ink #6 pick to 6-year, $6M pact"

LOL

I miss Papa too.
doncosmic- I want the Peenies to make the playoffs so we can whip 'em like this four times.

Posted by: kevbnyc | January 14, 2009 10:12 PM

@kevbnyc:

NOOOOOOOOO! we want the Pens to miss the playoffs, and will do anything in our power to make it so--have you forgotten the main reason we hate them is that they are the authors of more playoff misery for our Caps than any other NHL Team IN EITHER CONFERENCE--viz.:

--Caps go to 4 OT's, then lose the game and later the series.
--Caps have a 3-games-to-none edge, then lose that series too.
--Playoff game after playoff game, the Pens seemed to get just the bare minimum of goals needed to send us home for the summer. :,(

Almost all of those times, it seemed like the Pens' sole reason for existence was to keep the Caps from advancing beyond the first round of the playoffs, while progressing little or no further themselves.

Granted, recent history would SEEM to indicate that the Pittsburgh Monkey may be off our backs once and for all, but why take chances?

NOSIR, I want those b@$+@Rd$ to suffer badly, and be so far down in the standings that they have to look UP to see last place!

Will someone please create the web site www.die_pens_die.com? Pretty please? I have checked recently,and the domain seems to be available for sale...

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 15, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse