Morning Reading List

ovechkin.jpg Shaun Best/Reuters

Alex Ovechkin continued to make his presence known at the NHL's All Star weekend in Montreal with a goal and two assists in the Eastern Conference's 12-11 shootout win over the Western Conference.

*The Globe and Mail says the All Star weekend showed that this is indeed Ovechkin's NHL.

"...if there was any doubt that the NHL now belongs to the Washington Capitals' ebullient Alexander Ovechkin, whose showmanship and gap-toothed exuberance immediately won over the Montreal crowd, it was likely dispelled at Saturday night's skills competition."

*In case you missed it, Ovechkin's most spotlight-stealing maneuver over the weekend came in the breakaway challenge when he added some "accessories" to his performance. Here's the video from that portion of the skills competition, which Ovechkin earned 42.8 percent of the text vote to win the breakaway competition for the second straight year.

*Newsday's Mark Herrmann takes a closer look at Ovechkin and the way he raises the bar.

In the system:
*Don't forget that Coach Bruce Boudreau is set to be inducted to the AHL Hall of Fame today amid the All Star excitement in Worcester, Mass. Tarik will be at the induction so be sure to check back for updates.

*Before the AHL All Star break the Bears dropped a 4-3 shootout to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Friday. But Hershey claimed a 2-1 win over Manchester on Saturday, thanks largely to a 29-save performance by Michal Neuvirth.

*Tim Leone reflects on the Bears' 50-goal scorers, as Alexandre Giroux tries to become the first Hershey player to hit the mark in almost 22 years.

*The All Star festivities have lead to even more of a spotlight on Chris Bourque, who is more than just "Ray's son" says the Worcester Telegram and Gazette.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 26, 2009; 8:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-Star Game Notes
Next: Alzner Recalled

Comments

I wonder if the G&M and any other publications will start covering Ovechkin as if this was "his" league now and stop fawning over Crosby's commercial success and presumed transcendance over sport.

Nah....

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Thats funny that the Globe and Mail article says they were chanting "OVIE, OVIE!" on Verus' coverage they said they were saying "KOVIE, KOVIE!" for Kovalev. I guess Versus still wants to ignore Ovechkin and promote Crosby?

Posted by: musicburgler | January 26, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@Section117: Do we really want them fawning over Ovi? Remember that the media will try to tear anyone down that they can. Do we want to see him torn down?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

In terms of bringing more faces to the league and more fannies in stands, yeah, fawn away. ATo answer the second part, and for the latter, exactly how is the current face of the league being "torn down"?

Having said that, if 8 starts punching people in the coin purse who aren't expecting it, then yeah, that'd be low class also.

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Slow day on the blog? Where is everyone? Are we not focused on boston tomorrow night? Are we taking them lightly?

(yes- I'm joking)

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 26, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I rather like the idea that we know we have the best in the League, and everyone else is distracted by a red herring in pale blue garb... If the rest of the hockey world underestimates the Caps, think how great it'll feel when we hoist the Cup!

@Tarik or Katie - Are they televising the AHL All-Star festivities *anywhere*? I really want to see Boudreau's induction into the Hall of Fame; he totally deserves it!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

The last thing Ovie needs is a bunch of French Canadians cheering for him.

Ovechkin will lose much of the fawning from the press fairly soon when we go back to the regular soon which will now be played at an even higher level.

Remember all the press, pre-All Star break, about how Ovie was a dirty player? Where did that go?

Posted by: gtydings | January 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I get the sense that our Caps will want to pick up a talented defender before the trade deadline. Why wait, though? Let's pick up one now to melt him into the lineup sooner and nail the #1 spot.

I think Bouwmeester or Kaberle would be top candidates. Who do you think we'd have to give up for either of them?

Posted by: Tex21 | January 26, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

How come Ovie never pulls moves like that in real shootouts?

Posted by: SA-Town | January 26, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

musicburgler

"I guess Versus still wants to ignore Ovechkin and promote Crosby?"

Versus spent the entire weekend promoting OV. Almost the entire intros of the Skills Comp and the Game were dedicated to OV. Not to mention he was on camera what seemed like every 10 seconds throughout both....now part of that might be that Crosby wasn't there, but he certainly seemed like the face of the NHL this weekend.

Posted by: Yoshietree | January 26, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@goskinsgo - *snicker* - I'm at work; dunno about the rest of the jokers on here, but I'm not summoning Certain Individuals by saying their names... :-p

What about the Bruins game?

Let's see... the Bruins will be skating without Patrice Bergeron (concussion) and Marco Sturm (knee)...

What else do we know?

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

How come Ovie never pulls moves like that in real shootouts?

Posted by: SA-Town | January 26, 2009 9:55 AM

Because you can't pull out a hat and sunglasses in real shootouts.

Wait a second...

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Is Lucic still out?

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 26, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@Section117: It's not, but it will be. I admit that I tend to thoroughly dislike and distrust the intentions and attitudes of the mainstream media, but it's based on documented behavior in the recent past. Anyone in the spotlight gets shredded ruthlessly, deserved or not. Do you really want to put Ovi through that? I don't.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered:
I heard Comcast say they were sending a film crew to the luncheon, so hopefully there at least will be highlights on SportsNite. As for the game I think MASN is showing it live tonight at 7.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with all the attention Ovie has been getting this weekend. Those cheers last night after Ovie scored the penalty shot were not for Kovie, they were for Ovie. I hope it sent shivers down Crosby's spine. Even if the league will still keep Crosby as their face, we all know Ovie is the heart and soul of the league. I'd rather have the heart and soul playing for my team then the just the face. All I really care about is that we have Ovie on our team, he scores goals for us, wins us games and is a true team player. That is more important then any league/media endorsement could be.

Posted by: jonsnoek | January 26, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Do you really want to put Ovi through that?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 10:07 AM

Weren't a lot of eyes watching the last 2 months of last year? If we're talking about a guy who the consensus thoughts seem to be 'plays with a lot of heart and passion' or 'fun that not many others demonstrate', I fail to see at this point how it could happen. It's sure not happening to Crosby, who's a lot more stoic than 8.

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Re: Lucic

I think he (along with Ference and Ward) are coming back, though I don't know for sure.

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Kids. Aren't you going over board with the idolization of OV? He is a great player and it is fun to watch him play, but, for me that is it.

Posted by: opita1 | January 26, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Not seen the game, I've got it taped so will watch tonight. I've seen some of the skills comp online and Ovie was hilarious. Also Chara is a monster!

From the prev thread:
Boo,
It is possible that all 3 Caps could score in a shootout while Savard scores for Boston. Caps shoot first.
Ovie scores (1-0)
Savard scores (1-1)
Semin scores (2-1)
Lucic misses (2-1)

A this point with one shooter left each the shootout continues as Boston could get back level.....but....

Kozlov scores - Caps win shootout 3-1

jmu,
Another sport that mic's players during proper (non-exhibition) games is Cricket. It's been done in Twenty20 games in both English domestic games and Internationals. Usually one player a side is mic'd up while they are fielding (think baseball fielding, i.e. not "at bat"). The commentators usually talk to the mic'd player between balls to get their opinion on the game thus far. Can be pretty funny sometimes if the game restarts and the player who is in the middle of an interview has the ball hit his way.

I realise you probably have no idea what Cricket even is!! :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 26, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Why should we trade for Kaberle or Bouwmeester (67th in the league for +/-)? Those are two offensive minded D-men who are full of holes defensively. We already have Green for that. GMGM is not interested by either.
What we need is a Kommisarek-type player and there are very few of them available.

Posted by: atybat | January 26, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The newsday article kind of butchered the Ovechkin key presentation quote, but it was an OK piece.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 26, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Awwww poor cindy.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: opita1 | January 26, 2009 10:30 AM

If wanting to see the league market smartly so more fans come to the sport is idolization, guilty I guess.

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@DaveUK: Haha. "Cricket? You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket." (Obscure movie quote, ho.)

I dunno - Ovi's exuberance is going to lead him to make a mistake and he's going to get crucified for it if he's in the spotlight. Call me cynical, but MSM loves nothing better than to tear people down and tear them apart.

Can we talk Boston now? Can we talk PK now? Both of those are bigger issues than the ASG.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"How come Ovie never pulls moves like that in real shootouts?"

----

If you're talking about the shootout in last night's game ... I thought Ovie's shot nipped the post, the back of Luongo's skate and then went in the net.

A bit lucky. But he is the Man.

Posted by: Cerealman | January 26, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Re: Ovi and Media Attention - Remember, too, that our favorite player runs on emotion. When he's up, he plays most excellently, does corny things like the shot that won him the skills competition, and is a blast to watch. But when he's down, it affects his game poorly.

As long as the media is lovin' on him, he'll be great, but consistently negative press may do him harm. I'd rather keep the media spotlight on Crosby and keep Ovechkin (who IS the heart and soul of the game) quietly winning games in the background.

The press is collectively a two-year-old child, keen to pick up the new toy, but they will break it if they play with it too much. We've seen it over and over. Sorry, Tarik and Katie, but of the press in general, this is true. You two, not so much. :-)

Journalism classes teach that good news isn't (news), and the press latches onto negative stories like a rat terrier, playing them over and over into the ground until the people start believing what they've been spoon-fed. And if you think about it, even with Ovi they've already started, with pounding the story about him and Malkin over and over... and more recently, catching him on tape ogling a couple of dancing chicks at the All-Star game... Such a lecherous pig he is... ;-) The life of a public figure is no fun in the microscope, and Ovi likes to have fun.

So I'll keep Ovi right where he is and let Crobsy be the "Face" of the League, thanks.

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I was a bit annoyed at the lack of respect our players got in ASG representation prior to this wkd. But after the fact I am pretty happy.

Ovie's "rockstar" performance this wkd will serve to once again make people forget about (or fade out on) Semin, Backstrom, Fedorov, Flash, Steckel's SHG's, etc which can only help to open things up for the team.

I'm happily drinking Ted's lemonade on this. Win the Cup and future ASG's are a way to increase our player's competitive aura; if the whole team goes now there are probably a number of negative side effects.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 26, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe they are suspending Nik effing Lidstrom.

Also suspended by Gary Bettman: Sunshine, flowers

Posted by: _jordan | January 26, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Kitty,
That is obscure, I certainly can't place it.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 26, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

BOSTON:

We've beaten them twice this season.

* Dec. 10 @home: 3-1
* Jan. 17 @Bruins: 2-1

Now we're rested; we're healthy, and our PK looks much like it did when we were first dealing with all the injuries and integrating new players into the lineup.

The week off, though, will have helped everyone recover a bit more. Hopefully, various flying around by various players afforded them an opportunity to rest, not just run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Travel can be fun, but it can also be exhausting in its own right...

Keys vs. Boston:

1) Stay out of the box.
2) Convert power plays to goals.
3) Did I mention stay out of the box???
4) Play the system.

If we can do these things, we'll come out on top. I'm confident that we have the desire to win this one... but please, please, stay out of the box!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@_jordan - Wait, what? Lidstrom wasn't playing because of injury... where'd you get that Bettman had suspended him???

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

That sucks. I *had* seen that, but I didn't realize that Lidstrom had been dealing with a tendinitis issue that he was trying to rest. That's not cool at all!

Detroit GM Ken Holland said Lidstrom, 38, has been dealing with tendinitis for a number of seasons and wanted to use the All-Star break to try to get into a position where he can play pain-free down the stretch.

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

BOSTON:

We've beaten them twice this season.

* Dec. 10 @home: 3-1
* Jan. 17 @Bruins: 2-1

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 11:25 AM

irock, sorry to pick but both wins over the Bruins this season have been at home. We are yet to play them away.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 26, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
There you go thinkin' again! :-) I stand corrected ... guess I should have just stuck with my first statement (it was early on a Mon AM - what can I say?!?).

Kitty:
I thought the same thing about Ovi and Savard - too bad we don't have any room.

Posted by: Boo- | January 26, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Boo,
I do have a 5 hour coffee advantage I suppose so I "should" be more awake/switched on.

Although after my stint rockin the mic onstage with Ugly Duckling last night, I'm a little off this morning too!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 26, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I shoulda mentioned before:

I went to Montreal to see a Caps game a few years ago.(I've got a Canuck's game in Vancouver checked off my list as well).

Turns out we got there a day after an anti-Iraq/boo-America rally. They still had posters from the rally lying on the ground in the subway station. This was also the game just before they boo-ed the US national anthem.

When returning, when the x-ray guy read our tickets, his jaw dropped and he asked "Why would you want to come Here?!"

Seems like that's blown over, but either way, looks like as long as we have Ovie the Caps will always be welcome in Montreal!

Hmm, when do the Caps play in Calgary...

Posted by: austinsteve | January 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Is Mcphee still gonna pull the trigger on the Helmer/Nylander trade for Lidstrom, now that Nik is hurt?

Posted by: gtydings | January 26, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve: They did once this season. Was either a loss or an OTL, but may be best remembered by Daymond Langkow as the day he landed flat on his back courtesy of Tyler Sloan's NHL debut.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered: Not sure if BB's ceremony will be part of the broadcast or not but I found NESN (both HD and non-HD) is broadcasting the AHL All-Star game beginning at 7pm.

@Tex21: As someone already mentioned our D needs don't really call for someone like Bowmeester. He is very talented but we actually have two qualified puck moving defensement, Green and Poti. We need a strong stay at home guy that we can rent for the playoffs.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Ovi gettin' some love ... maybe Crosby not going to the ASG was for him. This may be the beginning of our boy finally getting the attention and respect that he deserves!

Dave:
Not only do you have a five hour coffee advantage, you have a coffee advantage period - I never touch the stuff (it's not easy being me). BTW, been in your email lately?

Posted by: Boo- | January 26, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice all the TSN coverage has Kovalev with the winning goal, and the espn coverage gives credit to Ovie?

Technically, I realize Kovalev has the winning goal (since his is the one that stood up), but because of the format of the Shootout, Ovie's goal prevented there from being another goal (if the West had gone one more time, and scored, then Ovie has the winning goal).

Posted by: TheGJ | January 26, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that got REAL OLD for me was the Montreal love fest. I mean after the anthems, the announcers were talking about how classy it was and what else could you expect in Montreal? Really!!! How about stupid Montreal French Canadians BOOING the USA National Anthem?? That showed real class now didn't it? On XM radio yesterday they were saying it would be acceptable for players to miss an ASG in like Atlanta, LA, Long Island, or NJ, but not in Montreal! After all hockey is so much more important that hockey anywhere else. Players deserved to be punished if they missed the game in Montreal! WHAT CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: majiksea | January 26, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I saw that Center Ice is broadcasting the AHL All-Star Game tonight.
But, here is a link that John Walton had up on his blog.
Good Luck to all the Bears tonight!!

Posted by: BearsAngel | January 26, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess speaking as a West Coast fan of the Washington Capitals, there's a feeling I get when watching Ovechkin play hockey, that none of the players here in Los Angeles and Anaheim bring to the game. There's a genuine level of fun that Ovi gets from playing and you can't help but love the sport, love the team, and be excited and want the best for each game the Caps play. Whether or not the media feels his gap-toothed mug wouldn't be the best "face" of the NHL, we're all pretty much in agreement that it's cool. As long as they downplay the supposed superiority of Crosby, take him. We got Ovi and the rest of the awesome Caps as our team. We couldn't have picked a better representative for the Washington Capitals!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 26, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought that every summoned player that miss one game before the ASG due to injury was excused, otherwise they'll miss the next game.

If that applies to Lidstrom, why doesn't it apply to Crosby (who played against Carolina)?

@irockthered

Too late! You summoned me already!
Let me see... well, there is the obvious danger of not enough mental preparation... coupled with the fact we're on the road... coupled with the fact that they're ready for revenge... pretty doomed if you ask me...

Posted by: mauree | January 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: There is no way I'm going to let you get away with calling Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles an obscure movie. Random? sure. Obscure? No way. Great pull by the way.

Posted by: MeatSweats | January 26, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Because he went to the festivities I think was the reason.

Posted by: Section117 | January 26, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@Section117

ah, I think you nailed it, thanks.

Steve_R got it right, they should give the SC final possible game 7 to the conference that wins the ASG. Or give more games at home to the conference that wins the ASG. Need to spice up things a little :D

Posted by: mauree | January 26, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

well whenever it is in future years (@Calgary) I hope it's not early in the season: Mid-winter is good for ticket price-watching and temping non-hockey friends with snow activities!

Carlson's in my zone this year, I was at the Dallas game where he scored!

Posted by: austinsteve | January 26, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

'Nuff partying - time to get back to work!

Big game tomorrow night - if we lose we may not be able to catch the Bruins down the stretch...I want to win the East!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I think we have to be honest with ourselves here. The Ovi love fest was in no small part due to Crosby's absence. Crosby's injury created a hole that the league and the media simply decided to fill with Ovechkin.

Maybe the affair persists, maybe it doesn't. But it's hard to assert that Ovi would've won the shootout voting had Crosby been there, and it's nearly a guarantee that the coverage would have tilted towards the Canadian had he made the trip.

Look, there are still those who claim that Ovi only won the Hart last year because Crosby was injured. And those who care should start to think about the perception that Ovechkin's successes can only occur during Crosby's absences.

If we decide that we're going to care about these perceptions and media decisions, then we have to embrace conflict. Rather than hope the Penguins miss the playoffs (which I will admit I often find myself doing), we should hope they make it - and match up with the Caps at some point. We should want to go through Pittsburgh (and, really, Philly as well) to win the Cup. Rather than denigrate Crosby as a player or as an individual, we should acknowledge that he is a talented player - then relish Washington's victories over him even more.

In the end, though, this is our ghost to exorcise, not Ovechkin's. I sincerely doubt he cares about the league's pursuit of Crosby as the NHL poster boy. And maybe we shouldn't, either.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 26, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Boston globe:

"Last season, San Jose landed the best of the available puck movers at the trade deadline, plucking Brian Campbell off the Buffalo roster when it became clear the Sabres wouldn't be able to re-sign the defenseman.

This year, if Florida general manager Jacques Martin can't sign Jay Bouwmeester to an extension, the defenseman could become an ex-Panther before the March 4 deadline. If Martin makes Bouwmeester available, the Panthers most likely would be asking for a young roster player, a prospect, and a first-round pick. The Bruins, who are hunting for a top-four defenseman, most likely would have to part with either Milan Lucic or Blake Wheeler if they entered the chase for Bouwmeester.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

LA Times - Pronger may be shopped around:

He refuted one published report which speculated that defenseman Chris Pronger would be reunited via trade with GM Brian Burke in Toronto, and another speculating that head coach Randy Carlyle's job was in jeopardy. "I have no issues with Randy," Murray said. "He's had a lot on his plate this year and he's done a good job with it." He also downplayed the possibility of improving the injury-depleted defense via trade, citing salary-cap constraints. The Ducks are projected to be within $2 million of the cap ceiling, enough room to tinker - if not make a splash - should they be in contention come trade-deadline time. The most complicated scenarios of who to trade, who to keep and who to re-sign only come into play if the Ducks don't gain the look of a champion by then. Since he succeeded Burke on Nov. 12 of last year, Murray has begun to negotiate extensions with some of the 14 players whose contracts come off the books at season's end. Nothing has come to fruition yet. Chief among those names is defenseman Scott Niedermayer, who has contemplated retirement before returning to play each of the past two seasons. The captain has given no indication about his plans beyond this year. Murray said he'd love to have Niedermayer back. "For our organization, it would be huge," Murray said. "Scotty's his own person. He'll decide what he wants to do with his family. I think the (2010 Winter) Olympics will play a big part in it.""

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

My fellow bloggers,

thanks to Boo I'll be one of the lucky ones to rock the red on March 8 against the Pens - she got me two tickets *high fives Boo*, so gf will go as well. Pretty darn excited!

I have two more friends (another couple) that would like to come. If you hear of available tickets would you let me know?

thanks all :)

Posted by: mauree | January 26, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Fellow hockey fans some second rate sports writer from the joke of a magazine, Sports Illustrated, blasted the Datsuyk (sp) and Lindstrom for not playing in the All-Star game. The writer's name is Farber. Why would hockey circles even care what SI has to say? They do a horrible job of covering the NHL. To suspend those players is a joke. Unless there was something in writing the NHLPA better be able to get them off. If they can't at least have the suspension take place on 31 Dec. 80)

During an interview with Crosby he said that he was sitting out hoping to be able to return in the first game back for the Pens. Sounds like Crosby was buying time to get better just like the Red Wings were. Now, again, I think Bettman is overstepping his boundaries by suspending players, but if he is going to suspend the two Red Wings, you have to suspend Crosby. I am shocked nothing has been said about Backstrom. He backed out of the young stars game.

One other beef I had. Why was Martin St. Louis the late guy inserted into the line-up due to Crosby missing? If a center was out, why wasn't a center (Backstrom) brought in?

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

ASG was yesterday. Boston is tomorrow.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My last comment should have read 31 Jan for the suspension of Datsuyk and Lidstrom 80)

Now, a D-man like Pronger could shore up our D. Remember, we get him at the trade deadline and just "rent" him for the playoffs. Kind of like how Pittsburgh rented Hossa last year. If we give up a Morrison or Jurcina in the process it would be well worth it. It could be done because the Ducks would be assuming they can't retain Pronger's services for next year at that point and would be hoping to get something for him rather than just lose him in the off season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I think backstrom was snubbed because he snubbed them first by not coming to the young stars game.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dave, Okay, but who honestly watches cricket? ;P The last time I saw a cricket game was on a movie. Hockey is much more exciting.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock: I think you're overlooking some key points. First, neither Datsyuk nor Lidstrom is Crosby. Rules flex around the Golden Child, and that is that. Second, Backstrom bailed on the YoungStars game, an 18-minute ASG hors d'oeuvre. Bettman concedes that YoungStars 'isn't even a real game', which is why lilNicky is not sanctioned for truancy. Third, St.Louis is *french canadian*, = extra points for this year's ASG.
If they're gonna hand out 1-game sits for no -good- reason, I'd like one for Chara, please.

Posted by: redlineblue | January 26, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan - I stand corrected. Thanks.

@fanohock1 - Why would we want Pronger? What does he bring to the table besides being a huge beast of a D-man?

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - NESN...? Er... not sure if I get that one or not. I'll have to look when I get home tonight.

Posted by: irockthered | January 26, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Pronger or Bouwmeester, but at what price? Don't want to give a way our youth for a rental player. Although, watching Ovie set-up Bouwmeester last night, I was day-dreaming of how nice he would look in a Caps uniform.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered: Pronger is a huge beast, that can score as well. Last 3 years in the playoffs:

2005-06 24 games, 5 goals, 16 assists, 21 pts, 26 PIMs, Stanley Cup Finals loss while with Edmonton

2006-07 18 Games, 3 goals, 12 assists, 15 pts, 26 PIMs, won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim

2007-08 6 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points, 12 PIMs

He's a big guy that cleans people out, scores, and he's been to the show twice, and skated off the winner once.

That's what Pronger brings to the table. Again, I say we rent him for the playoffs if we can get him. We don't need aging guys taking up roster or cap space next season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon: Totally agree with you. We will have to give up something but maybe a couple of D that would most likely sign with them next year would be enough since Pronger is already considered a loss by Anaheim. I know it's my opinion but after the young talent we have seen from the system this season I would consider Jurcina and Morrison expendable even though they are NHL caliber D-men. It the Caps were asked for players like Laich I would say no way. Brooks has evolved into the dream utility man every team wants. I could see a lot of teams asking for him in any deal being worked.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@Kitty - Loved the Raphael reference

As for the "why wasn't Crosby suspended" questions, its because he showed up to participate in some media related thing in Montreal, even though he didn't play.

Tomorrow's game is huge. I fully expect another 2-1 or 3-2 game. Hopefully Charra, Savard and Thomas (and Wheeler) are all really tired from ASG weekend activities.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 26, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock:
Though it kills me to defend Crosby, he DID put on a suit and show up and participate in media day and the off-ice stuff. That's what got him off the hook.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 26, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Boston Bruins recalled goaltender Tuukka Rask from the AHL's Providence Bruins on an emergency basis.

Manny Fernandez did not skate at practice on Monday and the team says there will be more information regarding the netminder later today when head coach Claude Julien addresses the media.

Rask started 34 games this season for Providence and has posted a 19-15-0 record with a 2.46 goals against average and .918 save percentage. His 19 victories are the third most in the AHL.

Originally drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round (21st overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, the 21-year-old Rask was acquired by the Bruins on June 24, 2006 in exchange for goaltender Andrew Raycroft.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone as excited as me about the stretch run coming up?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 26, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Why was it St Louis who replaced Datsyk and not Henrik Zetterberg? both are centers and both Red Wings, not 1 Red Wing was in the game?

Posted by: musicburgler | January 26, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't find the link, but I remember laughing at a Puck Daddy caption that stated something to the effect of "Tuukka Rask...the NHL player most likely to share a name with one of the Sand People (tusken raiders) from Star Wars"

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 26, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah, we coulda gotten the entire Red Wing team suspended just by inviting them one at a time... good thinking ;)

Posted by: austinsteve | January 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

BB was all smiles last night while I was speaking to him at the post skills competition party. You could tell he was in heaven. During the skills competition he sat with Ray Bourque a lot of the time.

Posted by: cocorules | January 26, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Why are people talking about renting Pronger for the rest of the season? He's signed through next year at $6.25M.

Honestly, put Pronger on the team, and the Caps might be the Cup favorite. But why would Anaheim trade him now? Their season isn't over. Trade Pronger and no way does Niedermayer come back. I can only guess what Anaheim would want for him. They would start by asking for Alzner, Flash and this year's #1. Maybe also a #2. The Caps wouldn't make that trade, I don't think, but that's about what the Ducks would want.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

They practiced today right? Why haven't we seen a practice update?!?

Posted by: gocaps71 | January 26, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

i doubt tarik is back from montreal yet, which is why we probably dont have any updates yet

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Practice was to be at 4 pm today in Boston I think.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

In every player contract is a line that states the player will play in the ASG if selected, so there is not a lot that the NHLPA can doo about Bettman and the poor Wings. Crosby did show up and make appearances, if the 2 Wings had done the same, no suspension. Frankly I don't care about the Wings one way or the other. The rule does not apply to the "Young Stars Game" because it is part of the skills comp and not a real game, etc, but that could change.

Posted by: majiksea | January 26, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

So towards the beginning of the season I did one of those open bar before the game dealies... GMGM took questions... When asked about a third jersey he said he wasn't interested whatsoever. After our success and the bright future we are all hoping for don't you think maybe next season would be a good time to get a navy blue rockin'... I'd love one!

Posted by: gocaps71 | January 26, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have a tee shirt that says Washington Capitals 2009 Satnley Cup Champions...but a 3rd jersey would be cool. It would make my xbox360 game a lot more fun.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

whoops Stanley Cup - not satnley cup

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes that T-shirt would be extremely nice...the only reason I brought that up is I read somewhere (probably here) that Leonsis was waiting for these new jerseys to get a solid footing then maybe expand... I just really like the idea of a third jersey. I wish they had worn throwbacks on Gartner night. I'm dying to have an OV throwback. But can't validate that until he really wears it.

Posted by: gocaps71 | January 26, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

i hate to admit it, but i like the pens 3rd-throwback - the powder blue ones

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Pens powder blue ones. But I like the orange throwbacks that the Flyers are wearing this year.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon, I am speechless. For real?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"i hate to admit it, but i like the pens 3rd-throwback - the powder blue ones

Posted by: lylewimbledon"

Dude........

Posted by: Steve_R | January 26, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I really like the Slurricanes third jersey.

Posted by: gocaps71 | January 26, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

the flyers orange uniforms are terrible, especially with the white nameplate on the back

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Those powder blue jerseys are wretched, and the orange philthy jerseys look trashy with the white nameplates on the back.

Posted by: CapManJ | January 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

instead of using the money collected by sombreroguy to buy a camera for tarik, we should use it to send ryan getzlaf some rogaine

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, Its not like the guy can't afford hair club on his own. I'm sure he could probably cure the baldness of the population of California with his money. But you're right, the fact that he's desperately trying to hide the baldness is not hot. He needs to talk lessons from Big Bouch.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

*take lessons, not talk lessons

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

For Real - I know...I know...I'm terrible.
"You know how I know your gay?..."

Yes I like the powder blue Pens jersey... but not gay - lqtm.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Re Ryan Getzlaf. The guy is only 23 and losing it fast - rogaine is not going to do the trick. Better to make like Messier, Brashear, etc. and just shave it off.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | January 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

haha, good point. i guess he should just embrace his baldness

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"i hate to admit it, but i like the pens 3rd-throwback - the powder blue ones

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 4:09 PM "

Man, I would hate to admit that too. Good thing I don't feel the same way haha

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

3rd jerseys - The Sharks' 3rd jersey (black) is excellent. Got to agree that the white nameplate on philly's looks crappy and the pens powder blue is wimpy at best.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | January 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Embrace the baldness indeed. There are plenty of hot guys who Bic it all off.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

BB is in Worcester, MA remember? No practice today unless they somehow fit it around his induction.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

i think i know where you are head with the hot guys with shaved heads....erskine

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of money for Tarik's Camera, I've gotten checks or payments from 10 or 11 of you guys. The rest need to put their money where their e-mails were. Or something to that effects.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

i would agree the sharks 3rd jersey is pretty sharp

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm in for a third Navy blue jersey. Just err, don't trade Semin for at least another 2 years so I can get some use out of the home and away jerseys I just got. =/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 26, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm in for a 3rd jersey! I like the navy suggestion - add a retro look, round logo and old timey laces on the collar. How cool would that be?!?

So what are the predictions for tomorrow? The Bruins are going to be eager for a win. They are surely not the biggest fans of the Caps right now, but do we have their #? Will the Caps go in fightin' for another W?

Posted by: Boo- | January 26, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@waiting
There's practice today at 4. The asst coaches can run it without BB.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, not necessarily. Although I do think he looks better with it short, never misunderstand that I think he's hot; I don't. There's a difference between buzz and Bic.

I like the third jersey OFB came up with.

Sombrero, The check from me should have gone out today if I caught the mail lady in time.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@jmu fair enough.

I also liked the OFB third jersey as well, but i dont think it was navy blue or was it

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Good. I'm glad there is practice today. But Tarik covering Bb explains why there won't be any practice updates today.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Interesting - Burnside did not mention Nylander or Clark

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

NEW THREAD, ALZNER BACK!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 26, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse