Morning Reading List

Bruce Boudreau returned to his minor league roots yesterday when he was inducted into the American Hockey League Hall of Fame -- the highest honor from the league that he "owes everything" to. Check out the video from yesterday's ceremony below.

*Here's another look at Boudreau's induction from the Patriot News.

*The list of people who believes this year's Capitals team could be something memorable grows one longer with a column from John Feinstein.

*During an All Star practice session NHL legend, former Maple Leafs winger Frank Mahovlich called Ovechkin out about the curve on his stick. The sidebar box that goes along with NHL.com's division notebook adds that Ovechkin is also on pace to become the first 70-goal scorer since the 1992-93 season when Teemu Selanne and Alexander Mogilny both accomplished the feat.

*ESPN's Scott Burnside gives you his list of most tradable players and suggests perhaps Tomas Kaberle would fit in Washington.

Bruins Cliff notes:
*The last time the Caps faced Boston the Bruins were rather depleted. They're expecting to get Milan Lucic back from his shoulder injury and Michael Ryder is expected to play despite being having flu-like symptoms. But the Bruins will still be without Phil Kessel, Patrice Bergeron, Andrew Ference and also Manny Fernandez. Read up about the rest of the Bruins' injuries here and here.

*Not only is Milan Lucic likely back in the Bruins lineup for tonight's game but he's looking forward to helping Boston get off to a good start immediately following the break. Here's Bruins defenseman Aaron Ward's take on Ovechkin from the same story:

"He's either going to go through you or around you, but most times he goes through you," Ward said. "He's a tough player to understand when you go into a game because he'll come out with a lot of finesse and physicality. Be well prepared when you play against him because there is a lot of speed in his game and he's tenacious up there. He's a guy that creates doubt in your mind as a defenseman. He's going to take the body or take the puck, one of the two."

*It has been quite the season for Bruins netminder Tim Thomas, who as the 217th pick out of 287 selections back in the 1994 draft, and the Boston Globe has a good story about the 34-year-old goaltender's career.

*To say the least, rookie Blake Wheeler has been a pleasant surprise for the Bruins this season.

In the system:
*Chris Bourque nets the game-winner for PlanetUSA and grabs the spotlight at the AHL All Star game yesterday. Here's a Q&A session with Bourque as well.

*AHL President and CEO Dave Andrews says the developmental league is doing well despite the tough economic climate.

*Keith Aucoin, like Bourque says here, "has been through the trenches" of the minor-league system waiting for his next shot in the NHL.

*After recording eight points (3g, 5a) and a plus-7 rating in three games, Calgary Hitmen defenseman Keith Seabrook was named the WHL player of the week.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 27, 2009; 7:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice Update
Next: Morning Skate Update

Comments

He's going to take the body or take the puck, one of the two.

Or both. *evil laugh* Muahahahhahaha

Posted by: mauree | January 27, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Decent piece from Feinstein, was nice to see some (brief) plain spoken talk about some other sports franchises in the area.

Junior!

Posted by: Section117 | January 27, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

YAY BRUCE!! :) :D

Posted by: rachel216 | January 27, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Kaberle - BRING IT ON!!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 27, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Michael Ryder is expected to play despite being having flu-like symptoms.

Oh, great. I get their secret weapon now: they're gonna have him sneeze on us! :-p

Sounds like otherwise, the Bruins are pretty banged up...

Posted by: irockthered | January 27, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I am so looking forward to the game tonight, home in the snow.

Bring it on...Lets get a nice win in, and Sat, vs Detroit will be unreal.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

thanks, burnside. whn we need another defensive under-achiever, we'll call for your advice.

Posted by: oo7 | January 27, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Burnside came across as not very hockey-savvy... like he's leaping on the bandwagon since the Caps are the only non-sucktastic team in Washington. :-p

Tarik and Katie, tell Burnside to go back to football where he belongs. We'll take your sports reporting over his any day of the week!

Side note: HOLY COW, it's coming down out there! I hope we get a foot!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 27, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered: I'm guessing you meant John Feinstein, not Burnside?

Suggesting that we could have stolen Mason is silly. Feinstein's article would have been on point a month and a half ago, today, the goalie situation is not the Caps biggest problem.

Posted by: sct112 | January 27, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"Ovechkin is also on pace to become the first 70-goal scorer since the 1992-93 season when Teemu Selanne and Alexander Mogilny both accomplished the feat."

Umm...what?

Posted by: RickyRage | January 27, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

So is Ovi's stick legal or illegal?

Posted by: ralph4100 | January 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Ten points to make-up in 34 games. Two tonight would be great. Who's in goal?

Posted by: saintex | January 27, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

There are a few players on his list I would take. I don't think our goalie problem is solved. I'd take the Wall in a heart beat.

Posted by: melissa2809 | January 27, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Kaberle for Nylander -- make it happen!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | January 27, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Feinstein does a steller job again. He is absolutely correct - focus should be on the Cup. He called out Theo too - let's see if he responds on the ice. I agree with John - we still don't have a intimidating goalie and could use a defenseman.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

When was the Caps focus NOT on the Cup? Bruce made ONE comment about the ASG, just to say that it was 'dumb' that Ovie wasn't voted a starter. I wasn't impressed with Feinstein's article. AT ALL. I like that he attempted to write a hockey centered article, but I would've appreciated it much more if he put some research and thought into writing the piece instead of just telling the Caps to focus on the Cup, something they have been doing for months now.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | January 27, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Someone correct me if Im playing goon hockey here...but...

I would love to see Brash try to get things fired up early. I think it could really help get the intensity going right off the bat coming back from the break.

It could also send a nice message on National TV, that were not going to settle for 2nd place in the east.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@sct112 - I stand corrected. Yes, I meant Feinstein.

Posted by: irockthered | January 27, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The best part of Feinstein's column is this

"...Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin -- arguably the second- and third-best players in the game..."

Posted by: kingbonehead | January 27, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree with all of you. Feinstein's article was at most, condescending. I think the Caps and we, the fans, aren't that bubbleheaded that we are dwelling on the All-Star Game and not keeping the cup in our sights. Feinstein should have been a little more careful in how he addressed his "concerns" about the Caps and their quest for the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't have jumped down on Theodore too badly either, considering even my favorite player, Semin has given some less than stellar performances. Overall, Feinstein's article was too crass for someone trying to keep the Caps in check. Like they needed him to remind them about the Stanley Cup. Pssh.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Kaberle??? UGGHHHH

The Caps subpar soft D won't be improved by more of the same. The only shot the caps have at making a deep playoff run is HOPING and PRAYING that Anaheim falls out of the playoff race and Pronger becomes available....McPhee had two chances to get him before and didn't so lets hope the 3rd time will be a charm!

Posted by: asharifi10 | January 27, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I think Feinstein was saying the media was over-blowing the All Star hoopla - not the fans. That was the way I read it.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

With a leg dangling over each side of the fence, Bryan Murray claimed yesterday he is prepared to do both some buying and some selling. But he also adamantly insisted he's not about to put a stick of dynamite to the Senators roster. "I read and hear the comments being made 'blow up the team' or 'start over' or 'lose all the games so you can get the first pick'. I don't think that does any of us any good at this point," the Senators GM told an Ottawa media scrum yesterday. "Maybe four years down the road it may make a difference, but this year and next, I don't think you people would be very happy writing and talking on a daily basis that we've gone into the tank or whatever. "We are not ..."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I would tell Feinstein to stick to college basketball and golf.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 27, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

i just went on the same rant to a friend about feinstein's piece. it's great the caps are getting more coverage, but can the people writing know a tiny bit about hockey and the team? is that too much to ask? clearly the caps have moved on past the asg and are focused on tonight's game and going forward. and the caps need better goaltending? to pluck a phrase from 1990, NO DUH! this guy acts like he’s giving brilliant advice, but makes points that anyone paying attention to the last four months has heard a hundred times before.

then he says home ice in the playoffs isn't important. i just smashed my head into my desk.

Posted by: ckm21 | January 27, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

asharifi10:
Pronger? PRONGER?!? Oh good grief - not more Pronger talk ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 27, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

How is Ovi on pace to score 70 goals?!?
By my count, it's more like 53 goals...

Posted by: Lets-Go-Caps | January 27, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The Caps have plenty of puck moving defensemen in Poti, Green and
Alzner, they need a banging, crease clearing d-man, I say DeVries is the right guy, 6'3' and 240 of nasty. My bet is the Preds will get quite a bit for him.

Posted by: RichC3 | January 27, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Give me Tkachuk (and the Bulin Wall if Theo falters in the next five weeks).

Posted by: Zornado | January 27, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Feinstein's lack of knowledge about hockey is embarrassing. Like most of the no-nothing columnists at the Post, he's clearly just recognized that the Caps are the hot ticket in town and he's trying to latch on to their success. Stick to Navy football, John. You're clearly in over your head when it comes to hockey.

Posted by: billieb | January 27, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea RichC3
But do we have anything they need?
I like Beauchmin too.

Posted by: pmoravek | January 27, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Kaberle for Nylander, straight up. :) -JW

Posted by: JWJr | January 27, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

DeVries would make a great addition. Preds will be asking for picks and prospects.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Kaberle for Nylander -- make it happen!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | January 27, 2009 10:01 AM

Throw in Theodore for Toskala along with this.

Posted by: musicburgler | January 27, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

More sticks for Ovie (legal or not) for Nylander, straight up! Interesting that the team has Clark's back, but not so much with Nylander. It would be good for him as well. I cannot help thinking he would do much better someplace else, he is just not fitting in here this year.

Posted by: majiksea | January 27, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It was nice to see Feinstein write about hockey, but what is he smoking that made him think the Caps ever could have gotten Mason from Columbus if Leclaire hadn't gotten hurt allowing Mason to become the breakout goalie of the year? For that matter, why would the Caps trade for an unproven but probably stud goalie when we have one of our own in Hershey? Why would Cbus even entertain the trade of Mason?

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 27, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Great article by Feinstein, in my opinion. I don't agree on the goalie, but that is his opinon. Keep it up.

Posted by: opita1 | January 27, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"Ovechkin is also on pace to become the first 70-goal scorer "

It will be great if he does, but I don't think he will, I am predicting maybe 50 and I hope I am wrong.

Posted by: opita1 | January 27, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

DeVries is only 2.75 for this year - a fair value, but still puts the team almost $1M over the cap even if you include Mo to Nashville in the package. Morrisonn and a #2? Would that get it done?

I'm not advocating either trade (some people get really defensive about the team when someone postulates a trade). I'm just speculating what kinds of deals it would take to work.

Clark and Morrisonn for DeVries would be interesting because it would clear enough space also for Alzner and clear some space for next year to try and re-sign DeVries. If you can do that, you don't need to tender Jurcina.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 27, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, prospects we've got. Let's be honest. But - who would they be looking for? I don't know much about Nashville. Agreed that what we need is a big, strong, intimidating, crease-clearing defenseman.

Am I the only one really, really concerned about Boston tonight? Effort may not be an issue, but kicking their guys out of the crease assuredly is, as is the PK.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 27, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree with JIMALLCAPS more. Nylander for Kaberle. Somebody call McPhee and tell him to make it happen!!!

Posted by: griz0615 | January 27, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Um, it's an 82 game schedule, and the Caps have played 48 games already. Ovie has 31 goals so far, which means he needs another 39 to get to 70, and he's got 34 games to do it. I'm not sure how they figure he is currently on a 70 goal pace, unless they throwing out the first month of the season are basing their analysis on the pace his has been on since the slow start?

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 27, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@ asharifi10 said:

"The only shot the caps have at making a deep playoff run is HOPING and PRAYING that Anaheim falls out of the playoff race and Pronger becomes available...."

You do understand that the Caps can meet the Ducks only in the Stanley Cup Finals, right??

Posted by: atybat | January 27, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I would think the Preds would want some prospects and Hershey is full of them. Maybe Godfrey and a bourque for Devries. Not sure anyone would take Mo unless they are planning on signing him. Sorry folks but I do not think Nyl's is tradeable at this point, he has to pick it up (a lot)for someone to take the last 2 years of that deal at $4.5 mill. a year. I would not include Carlson for any trade for devries.

Posted by: RichC3 | January 27, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

My gut is GMGM is going to see who fires the first salo...then maybe pull a trigger on a trade after seeing what the market dictates for a player like Bouwmeester.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"To the people who want Pronger: His cap figure is 6.25 thru next year - almost exactly cap figures of Alzner and Semin. Would Anaheim take those two and would Caps offer?"
If I were Anaheim, I would do it in a NY second, I would rename the team the Anaheim Caps.
If I were the Caps, only if I wanted to destroy the franchise and desired to
commit a career suicide.
Yes. I would do it on those two scenarios.

Posted by: opita1 | January 27, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Can someone with Comcast Maryland please explain to me why I'm forced to watch Versus’ games in craptastic standard def whilst Versus HD incomprehensively becomes The Golf Channel during nationalized Caps games? What gives? Seriously -- I can't watch the game in HD? Such B.S.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | January 27, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The caps arent keeping their eyes on the playoffs? The guys were so frickin ancy (sorry i dont know how to spell it) to get back on the ice after the playoff loss to the flyers. All they could think about was making a cup run...As for the trade rumors i dont agree about kaberle--he is more of the same. I do like De Vries and Beachumin. Both are big and strong and would also contribute to the PK. And yes, nylander will not be moved sorry guys :(

Posted by: bleedred | January 27, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I went to look at the +/- leaders to see which D men had the highest +/- with the fewest goals. (What I personally think we're looking for)

The top 3 matches are all Chicago defensemen.

Interesting which team the top 4 +/- leaders overall all play for.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 27, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@MarylanDChris

I actually thought I had the same problem. I live in Arlington, and have Comcast. VSGOLF channel- I think its in the upper 240's doesn't show the Caps games, but there is also a regular VS HD channel- which I think is closer to the 220's. Now I'm not sure if Maryland Comcast has different channels/programming, but take a look when you get home.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 27, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone care that I just bought Semin's home and away jerseys?!!! Stop trying to trade him. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:
i don't have his jersey - but i agree. stop trying to trade semin. if he can ever get 82 games in - he'll be in the top three in scoring in the league - provided he doesn't feel the need to 'bongo' every other game

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 27, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse