Morning Reading List

01282009bitz600.jpgElise Amendola-The Associated Press

*Time to catch up with the goings on at the D.C. Sports Bog....First with a story about how and why Jose Theodore became a goaltender with this quick synopsis: "Four older brothers that needed a target," Theodore said.

*And also how Brooks Laich spent his All Star break, specifically his trip to see his younger brother Jordan Laich play for the Bienfiet Coalers.

*Michael Nylander makes Darren Dreger's 10 players to watch at the trade deadline list.

*A leftover from the Caps game against the Bruins on Tuesday night, the Boston Globe turns to their Fight Club to look at Donald Brashear's bout with Byron Bitz.

*David Steckel's goal against Ottawa made the NHL's top-10 goals of the week.

*Many of you may have already seen this news but former Capitals netminder Olie Kolzig is expected to miss the rest of the season with a bicep tear in his left arm. Here are stories to catch up with from the St. Petersburg Times and Tampa Tribune.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 29, 2009; 7:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Update, Alzner Sent Down
Next: Late Practice Today

Comments

El primero?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

backstrom went to sweden, and you're telling me that jet lag has no effect on his play? i can't even go to seattle without throwing my whole sched off

Posted by: abuddy2004 | January 29, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: abuddy2004 | January 29, 2009 8:31 AM

Maybe, but his head must have already been there, as he's been without a point since Pittsburgh.

At least he's improving on his faceoffs though.

Posted by: Section117 | January 29, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

To be honest, Backstrom has been fairly invisible for a few weeks. hopefully the trip to Sweeden will do him some good.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 29, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Well, the trip to Russia did Ovi a world of good, so we can hope the same thing for Backstrom. He was better in faceoffs against Boston - much better, and towards the end of the game I saw some of the spark between him and Ovi again.

Fingers crossed.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 29, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

1) Evidently Dreger didn't get the memo that Nylander has a No Movement Clause!
2) No way is he going to willingly pack up and move mid season to vanouver, a team that may or may not make the playoffs from a team that is definitly getting in.

Posted by: fauxrumors | January 29, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Nyls is definetely not moving this season. When summer come, he will go almost anywhere who can commit to a first or second line spot with wingers who can actually complement his finesse.
Now that USA hockey is going to make a super development league, his sons can develop just about anywhere. If he ends up in Canada, the kids development will be in even better hands.

Posted by: atybat | January 29, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to see Olie's injury, sounds like the same problem as Brodeur. Hope he recovers well and continue contributing to hockey in one way or another. Would think he'd retire and go into coaching.

Posted by: justbrewit | January 29, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

its weird dreger has ryan whitney floating around in trade rumors, i havent heard anything about that before. Whitney would be amazing for the caps, not saying it is going to happen, but still that would awesome

Posted by: _stevo | January 29, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Nyls will waive his NTC - he is not playing as much as he wants and there are obviously issues between him and BB and/or GMGM. He will get frustrated and ask to go.

Olie always said that he never wanted to coach. He said he did not have the patience for it.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 29, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Well, too bad about Olie. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he has played his last game. If GMGM were classy, he would sign Olie to a 1 year league min contract over the summer so he can retire a Cap.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 29, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Slow commenting morning, eh?

I don't think Backstrom's all that off his game. I think his pointless-ness is more due to Ovie's current inconsistency and the 1st line's general lack of good puck control lately. Backstrom himself, though, has been Backstrom-like.

I think this week of practice will really do them well. Hopefully, Ovie will regain his accuracy and the line as a whole will finally re-gel, as it seems that the constant schedule has really worn them down.

I, for one, am proud of them for doing as well as they have with as little practice as they've had, lately.

I can only hope that their PP/PK practice on Friday pays dividends. We need to break this losing streak against Detroit -- because we need a win, but also because a win against Detroit is going to require a good, strong effort, which is something they've been lacking. Not to mention the extra bit of sweetness for breaking the losing streak against Detroit.

Practice should be just about starting, now...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 29, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if this is a repeat, but anyone going to Saturday's game: Get some white sunglasses and a floppy hat to welcome our breakaway challenge winner home!Spread the word.

Posted by: ckm21 | January 29, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Man, the Bog is full of NHL stuff. Highlights from Bradley on the Junkies:

Posted by: Section117 | January 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

boo,

I'd have agreed with you about Nyls getting frustrated and waiving his NTC when he was a recent scratch. However, since then he has been reinstated into the line up and now I'm not so sure.

If he had continually been scratched for a period (i.e. doing an Eminger) then I think he would be gone.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I found a blank check!

Sombrero will get his promised $10 after all!

One of those new account/no address dealies from who knows when but the acct # is good.

I still need to find a stamp, maybe an envelope...

Baby steps

Posted by: austinsteve | January 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm not the only one to feel this way, this may already have been brought to someone's attention, and this is perhaps not the ideal forum for my comment, but...

I find it very aggravating that half of Tarik's (or Katie's) posts are immediately followed by some fool bragging about being first. The whole first thing in blog comments - TOTALLY LAME!

I read that on some sites they filter "first" posts and change the date so the comment disappears from the top of the list and the words are changed to “boobies” or something else embarassing. Apparently, it works pretty well.

Any chance we could get that implemented here? Perhaps on Tarik's blog, we could have it say something like "I'm a huge Flyers fan!" or "I love Briere!" so that "first" posters look like trolls!

Hope the Washington Post blog gods are hearing my prayers right now!!! :-)

Posted by: BigRed8 | January 29, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow - that was insightful BigRed. Thanks

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Section 117,
Just read your piece on Japers. Good stuff.

Any thoughts on Liverpools title hopes? *stifles laughter*

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 29, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

In Backstrom's 11 games in January he has 1 goal and 5 assist. With three of those assists coming in one game, he's got 3 points in the other ten games. He's struggling to score points and that's pretty tough to debate. Having said that, he still does the stuff that I love: he's back on D digging out the puck, he breaks out well, his passing is still sharp. But, something's missing. As if it would be any true indication of anything, I dropped him from my fantasy team.

I hope he'll pick ut up in the last 33 games.

Posted by: saintex | January 29, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on Liverpools title hopes? *stifles laughter*

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 29, 2009 11:02 AM

When (in no random order) Rafa puts away the tinfoil hat, stops subbing out Gerrard and becomes a coach again, I'll answer this question. The problem is that you might not get an answer for awhile.

Posted by: Section117 | January 29, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The word of the day: IGNORE

Who cares about the first poster? or what guys like Dregen says?
Why let little things bother you?

I am ignoring those NYLs trade rumors - that stuff is getting old and boring. I like the team the way it is, but if GMGM makes a trade for the better then I am with him.

My only issue is the way BB has been changing the 2nd and 3rd lines in order to rotate scratches. I think he should use the fourth line for that. Also, I love Brasheer, but fighting and penalties put the Caps at a disadvantage.

Posted by: opita1 | January 29, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

117,
Perhaps we should take our "soccer" chat elsewhere. Do you have anyone's email address from here? Maybe if we had someone in common we could be linked up. I'm not a fan of adding my email address here.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I've always liked Nylander, though this season i've been on a roller coaster with him. Some games I wonder why he's still here, why he doesn't get a scratch and let someone like Fehr play, other games I wonder why he couldn't play that way in other games. He's been very inconsistent this season, leaning mostly towards very poor play considering his contract value. I'm very much on the fence right now on whether he should be traded, if he were to waive his NTC. I'm hoping that being scratched last week and having a nice break will have energized him. I felt he played a lot better against Boston, maybe his best game of the season so far. I'm hoping he continues on that path because he could be very useful to us come playoff time. Right now, if I were to trade anyone on the team I might try to get rid of Clark. I like Clark, but he's not playing at a level that we need right now. Sure, he had his injury that he's still getting over, but he's playing at a pre-season level while the rest of the league is fighting for the playoffs. If anything, we should sit him and let Fehr play. I think Fehr has been playing a lot better then Clark and deserves to get some game time. Though, if we were to sell Clark for someone we really need, a solid blue liner, who would we be able to get? I don't think Kaberle will move for Clark, or Bouwmeester. Clark is a tough sell I think.

Posted by: jonsnoek | January 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Nylander will waive his no-trade clause if he has a chance to go to a competitive team and be the #2 center.

He will likely veto a deal to destinations such as Calgary or Edmonton, but Chicago, Toronto or Montreal are all possibilities for different reasons.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse