Morning Reading List

*The video above has clips and interviews from D.C.'s own winter classic last night at Chevy Chase Country Club. It was the third year the Caps took to the outdoor rink, but the first time that they spent most of the time scrimmaging rather than running drills -- a change of pace that was a big hit with the players.

*Don't forget Tarik will be taking your questions today for his online chat at 1 p.m. The chat is now at 11:30 a.m.

*Inspired by Jose Theodore's story about how he became a goaltender, Dan Steinberg decided to poll the Caps locker room and see who else might have taken a turn or two in net which you can check out over at the D.C. Sports Bog.

Red Wings Cliff notes:
*In early preparation for tomorrow's game against the Red Wings, Henrik Zetterberg missed Detroit's 4-2 loss to Dallas yesterday with back spasms. You may have heard about Zetterberg recently and that the Red Wings just signed him for 12 years.

*Ville Leino and Aaron Downey were called up yesterday to help fill the spots left by Zetterberg and defenseman Brad Stuart, who was placed on long term injured reserve with torn cartilage in his ribs.

*Goaltender Chris Osgood was benched in the loss to Dallas.

*With the trade deadline approaching, in case you wondered what kinds of salaries and contracts make up the Red Wings, the Detroit Free Press has a complete list.

*The Caps 365 crew brings you a second installment of Capitals reminiscing about their first NHL goals.

In the system:
*The Bears travel to face Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tonight, but Chris Bourque and Alexandre Giroux both had some trouble getting back to practice this week because their plane was canceled because of inclement weather. Read more about it and look at this week's practice lineups.

*And while the Bears and Penguins got along well enough at the AHL All Star game, it's time to get back to work.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 30, 2009; 7:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scrimmage Scandal
Next: New Lines

Comments

I caught a glimpse of last night's highlights and it seems to me that the Wings may have been robbed a goal ... was anyone watching the game who can speak to that? If it's true, gotta wonder if that would have been enough to give them the momentum that they needed to turn that game around ... and how ticked they will be when they get here?!? :-/

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KlayKey | January 30, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

@KlayKey: "Gr8esque" ?!?! That is frickin' outstanding. Quick question: Can white 13 make a gr8esque play tomorrow? How will I know if Pavel's done that, vs. being routinely datsyukian?
Thx for the link--and the lingo.

Posted by: redlineblue | January 30, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

THIRD!

yes, thats right, this is for you...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 30, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

@Boo

correct. Holmstrom was pushed into the goalie and they called interference.

Also, they got a ridiculous penalty at the end that compromised any hope to tie the game. However, overall they'd deserve to lose, DAL played an incredible game, especially on the PK. The game was closer to a 5-2 than a 4-3. If DAL continues like this they're bound to improve their standings.

Posted by: mauree | January 30, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

oops...turns out i was fourth

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 30, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, mauree. Do you think the interference call was valid or were the Wings robbed?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Robbed of that goal. Unless there is a rule that states that if you're pushed into a goalie, it's interference no matter what.

The funny thing is, they didn't give Holmstrom the penalty.

Posted by: mauree | January 30, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

KlayKey:
Thanks for posting that - what a goal! I always like Zed. Glad to see that he not only recovered from that terrible injury, but that he is playing well, too.

wtf_e_fehr:
That's OK - we've all got to start somewhere ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
That's too bad. Did it look like interference to you? Who got the penalty - no one?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Not for nothing, but the chat link (and WaPo main page) list the start time as 11:30am.

Posted by: Section117 | January 30, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

117:
I have seen you and Dave chatting about football but I don't recall who your team is (?!?).

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Boo:

It wasn't interference. Holmstrom was in front of Turco (not even in the crease), a Coyote D-man felt on Holmstrom and both felt on Turco. No goal, and no penalty to Holmstrom.

DET actually got two goals voided, the other one was an incredible save by Turco - good call, puck wasn't in.

Posted by: mauree | January 30, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Re: Brad Stuart - Torn cartilage in his RIBS? OW! That sounds excruciatingly painful!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 30, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 8:58 AM

Liverpool and DCU.

Posted by: Section117 | January 30, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

@Boo

I looked into the playbook, and there's this rule:

An attacking player makes incidental contact with the goalkeeper at the same time a goal is being scored: No goal, no penalty.

I think that's how the refs interpreted it. However I'm surprised nothing is said about the situation when a player pushes an opponent on the goalie. For example, last year, game 7 against philly? *shivers*

Posted by: mauree | January 30, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

@mauree,

I could have sworn they put a new rule on the books about that kind of thing..

Posted by: _jordan | January 30, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Dont forget to pass thing along for Saturday. Especially those in the lower bowl.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 30, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
Wow ... they're going to be grumpy tomorrow.

117:
And Dave still talks to you?!? ;-) Mr. Boo is a huge United supporter but just can't seem to get into DCU. He did not complain, however, when I got him tickets to the Galaxy match summer before last. :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 30, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@_jordan - I don't think so; the only new rules I was aware of were the size of the goaltender's pads and the location of the face-off after a penalty is called... :-(

That SHOULD be goaltender interference, though...

Posted by: irockthered | January 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I just got my latest issue of the Hockey News. I'm glad to see they finally opened their eyes and rated Ovechkin as the best all-around NHL player.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | January 30, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

I got a better salary cap break down link: http://www.nhlscap.com/

The site breaks down every team's salary cap situation by listing every player in the pros and minors and their salaries until their contracts expire. Check it out.

Other than that, keep up the great work.

@Sombrero - whats the status/deal with the camera for TEB?

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | January 30, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

nhlscap is more useful if you want to see salary status of the prospects, but they're so out-of-date right now that it's useless. Chris Clark is still on LTIR according to them.

Posted by: koalatek | January 30, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I like how the outdoor practice was not open to the public but the COUNTRY CLUBBERS were able to watch...

...such a bummer

Posted by: dcox50 | January 30, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

What's so special about the Galaxy?

Posted by: Section117 | January 30, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@dcox50

Yea..seriously..Screw those Bushwood Country Clubbers.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 30, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy - Come find me at the game tomorrow and I'll get you my contribution for the camera.

Posted by: irockthered | January 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

In exchange for this yearly charade, George McPhee is compensated by CCCC for his yearly dues.

That's what I call a pimp.

Posted by: LarryDavid | January 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

28th!!! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

Posted by: BigRed8 | January 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Country Clubbers are not the public. I mean what if some of those people there were friends and family of the players? That alone would be a huge crowd.

I do wonder how many players are members.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

You know, at the risk of being a party pooper ... I have a really hard time celebrating a whole lot of lighthearted having fun or really anything but a lot of uh-oh and hard work when we're looking up at the New Jersey Devils this morning.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

117:
That was the first Galaxy game in DC after Becks joined the team. It was raining and he was injured, but he still hit the pitch for the last few minutes of the match (all of the fans in the sold-out stadium went nuts). I'm up for any DCU game, but Mr. Boo has been spoiled by the EPL - he's just not very interested in MLS. :-/

Posted by: Boo- | January 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Kitty:
It's a point - don't stress.

Posted by: Boo- | January 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

@Kittypawz,

Here's what cheers me up: Look where the next SE Division team is.

Posted by: _jordan | January 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Im glad the Devils past us. We need to stop looking up to Boston, and try and keep things simple. One point at a time, or we'll be sixth in the east, and all the stories of us benefiting in a weak division will resurface.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Kitty:
It's a point - don't stress.

Posted by: Boo- | January 30, 2009 11:53 AM

Too late. She's shedding all over the place.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 30, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered - believe it or not, I can't make the game tomorrow, but will be there on Sunday

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

OK, it's 1205 and no inside information from Kettler. I am guessing the boys hit the ice by 10:30 like they do most non-game days. I applaud the coverage while the injury bug had us down, but the coverage since most of the boys have returned has not been very good. I know we give Tarik props but I'd kill to have one of my paid jobs was to take notes at Caps practices.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

OK, it's 1205 and no inside information from Kettler. I am guessing the boys hit the ice by 10:30 like they do most non-game days. I applaud the coverage while the injury bug had us down, but the coverage since most of the boys have returned has not been very good. I know we give Tarik props but I'd kill to have one of my paid jobs be to take notes at Caps practices.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

*rubs against Greg's legs, purring, then curls up in his coat for a nap*

@Sa-Town: Can see that but having dropped four out of our last six games, three of those because of sloppy PK, I'm not happy. We are better than what we've been playing, and it seems to be at least partly an issue of focus and discipline. The play-games don't help that. We need to get down and dirty and start taking care of business, crash the net, all of that, and this kind of thing doesn't promote that.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 30, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

LOL..

I think that NJ being ahead of us will motivate the guys to play harder. And watch out for Florida. They're on a bit of a tear.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@kitty

Thats what Im saying. No better way to get that point across to the team then to look at the standings.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Camera Fund Update

I have received checks, cash and paypals totaling $140 so far. There are still like 12 people who pledged but haven't paid just yet. I'll try and send out another mass email BCCing everybody to get this moving along.

No checks have been cashed as I am holding out until we get enough money to buy something worthwhile.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"*rubs against Greg's legs, purring, then curls up in his coat for a nap* "

that is certainly something i didn't expect to read in a hockey blog haha

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 30, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Also, you noticed that the Panthers are kicking butt and taking names? 10 points is not insurmountable, especially not as lousy as we've been lately. We need to get it together or we will find them breathing down our necks when it matters. We should know better than anyone that suck a thing is not out of the question. Time to stop playing around and get serious.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 30, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@Sombreroguy: The post should be buying the camera. I suggest you get a bigger sombrero and some "famous" glasses (Aussie kid on youtube) to wear to tomorrow's game. Have an American, and Russian flag sticking out of your sombrero rather than a Candian flag.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock--

According to Tarik, practice today was delayed till 12:30 (he is holding a live discussion now, as opposed to when it was originally scheduled, which was 1 pm). I think updates will come a little later on as far as practice goes.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | January 30, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy: Yup, going to send this afternoon. Had to wait for payday (yes, bmy budget is that much of a mess this week).

Also, re: the cat stuff - if I'm shredding according to him, he can be the beneficiary :)

Posted by: kittypawz | January 30, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@Sombreroguy: Oh, my suggestion was to use the money you've gathered for a camera to buy all the props.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: Fair enough, but it sure as hell doesn't make ME happy.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps: Thanks! I apologize Tarik.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

What have the Wing lost, three straight? I think we had the "win the division" discussion last week and most everyone pooh pooh'd it as unfashionable. I think the "we need to catch Boston discussion" overran it.

I think we'll win the division and finish 2nd in the East. Even without the schedule for the rest of the season posted recently, all the Atlantic teams are going to hammer away at each other and our sked will serves us well.

Looking for a big win tomorrow.

Posted by: saintex | January 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"With any luck, DCU will have things righted this year, but it's worth coming to a non-Becks game or 2 as well."

Worth it in section 114-117 only. (Preferably Barra Brava sections) The "quiet side" is not the most exciting side to sit on.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - Great reference, you'll appreciate this T shirt

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 30, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I have a soapstone cat figure - she doesn't shed. :)

I have been watching Florida for awhile now. All this talk about Boumeester being traded and all. I really don't see it happening if they continue like they are. They're in the mix now, and one point ahead of Carolina and two games in hand.

The Caps cannot afford to relax if it wants to be first in the east because it may find itself 4th or worse.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Right now we are in third place in the conference. Guess who is in sixth and our possible first round opponent?

**Philly**

I would rather face anyone in the east other than the Flyes in the first round.

First, they have demonstrated an ability to get under our skin. I don't think there is another team in the east that we have more trouble with.

Second, this is going to be a war. The winning team is going to be beat up and will have trouble in the next round.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 30, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@pawz

as always, I share your doom-inator thoughts.

I wish I had a list of the last 21 games handy, but it seems the Caps will play the Panthers 5 times - including the last game in FL. We'll see what happens :D

One thing I'm worried about is that we need to switch gear soon and produce a more consistent, higher pace. Sometimes talent makes up for laziness, but need to prepare for when (playoffs) talent alone won't be enough to win games.

Posted by: mauree | January 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@Sombreroguy: Just took care of a couple of birthday gifts. Thanks!

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Semin

Fleischmann-Backstrom-Fehr

Laich-Nylander-Kozlov-Clark

Brashear-Gordon-Steckel-Bradley

Posted by: SA-Town | January 30, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
HA!!! That's funny!! :-D

Kitty:
He said shedding, not shRedding. I'm not sure what the latter would refer to, but it kinda creeps me out.

Posted by: Boo- | January 30, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

amen waitingsince75. i agree with your post.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | January 30, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

(Preferably Barra Brava sections)

Posted by: redskinsux | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM