Morning Reading List

020709_CapsCatsCover.jpg
Mitchell Layton-Getty

*Most who follow the Capitals knows that the quality of Verizon Center ice is a hot button topic and has been for several seasons. On Saturday against the Panthers, the ice's temperamental nature was on display for most everyone to see as the puck bounced and rolled in unintended directions, reigniting the discussion on how to best maintain a clean sheet of ice in the busy arena.

*If you missed the post in Ted's Take about the ice that Tarik references in the previous story, check it out here.

*On your mark, get set...it's time for another round of D.C. Sports Bog Caps posts. Dan Steinberg was at this weekend's game against the Panthers and met a very dedicated group of Nicklas Backstrom fans (Complete with a video of chants in Swedish.) and tracked down Verizon Center's own band of hockey-loving super heros. Then yesterday at KCI, he talked to Mike Green about his time in "the Zone".

*If you missed the debut of Caps Red Line Monday yesterday, head over to the Caps 365 media player which has a new tab with all the segments from the show. Check them out here. But here's one of the parts from last night's show as Professor Matt Bradley explains checking.

*Mike Green may have only been the NHL's third star of the week, but he tops NHL.com's hot list after recording four goals and six points in three games last week.

*The field for the 2010 Olympics is set after Germany, Latvia and Norway each won qualifying tournaments to ensure a trip to Vancouver.

In the system:
*The York Daily Record looks back at the long journey that first brought Tyler Sloan to Hershey and then resulted with him in Washington for 26 games this season.

By Katie Carrera  |  February 10, 2009; 7:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Practice Update
Next: No Kozlov

Comments

Yep, still boring today.

Posted by: Section117 | February 10, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Update: Is everyone prepared for the 21-game salute?

Guess by now everyone that is not a newbie is starting to see this picture. Picasso couldn't have painted a more beautiful scenario. Is anyone more excited than me about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabers (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run! All we need is a veteran puck moving defensman.

cool

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 10, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Bad ice = groin injuries. That should wake somebody up. Wednesday can't come soon enough. I'm ready for Greene to equal the mark for consecutive games with a goal for defensemen. Go Greenie!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tomdchancar | February 10, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Any word on Johnson, when is he scheduled to have his operation?? Thanks.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 10, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Johnson is supposed to have his sugery today.

--Tarik

Posted by: el_bashir | February 10, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

These are the fines, keep them, obey them and comment away.

1. Typing "First" in any language - $25 fine
2. Typing "First" in any language, and not being first - $250 fine
3. Typing any numeral as to denote what number comment you are - $62.23 fine
4. Having nothing to say except any form of cheering the Caps, i.e. "Go Caps" - $.99 fine
5. Typing in the 3rd person - $17,000 fine
6. Bringing up the topic of Verizon Center Ice - $29 fine
7. Asking Tarik about an injured player - $4.00 fine
8. Bringing up the topic of chants - $100 fine
9. Adding to the topic of chants - $200
10. Mike Green bashing - $5200 fine
11. Eric Fehr bashing - $1600 fine
12. Alex Semin bashing - $2800 fine
13. Being Windjammer - $100,000,000,000 fine
14. Comments with any type of "We're Doomed", "The Sky is Falling" content - $1.06
15. Using Emoticons - $13.00 fine

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

When will Varlamov be ready to play again for Hershey?

Posted by: tomdchancar | February 10, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Agree with all the fines minus the injured players. Won't mention the ice again. Unless it injures a player and I have to ask Tarik about the injury.

Posted by: tomdchancar | February 10, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

ouch man I owe some serious money then :p

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Dude, what on earth will we talk about?

Just to annoy JSchon, I asked Theodore last night at the ESPN thing about goalie heckling in the stands and how that affects him. He said that it usually has the opposite of the intended effect - it makes him focus more and gives him something to prove. Of course, there's the problem of him getting cocky too if it's carried too far.

Just something to think about.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Some of the fines are tolerable... If you need to ask about an injury, do it, its only $4.00. Or you could just wait and let TEB let us know as soon as he finds out which is normally the case.

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh Professor Bradley, you slay me...

Posted by: superpaqman | February 10, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@kitty

Look the price of one of your "We're doomed" comments is only a $1.06. A cup of coffee at 7-11, a bargain. To save money, might I suggest filling your car tires with the proper amount of air.

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

17. Bashing the bashers: $25
18. Posting a fines list: $100

:D

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Mauree - Emoticon!

$13.00 fine.

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

there goes my lunch... *sad face emoticon*

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

You drink 7-11 coffee? Ew, man.

Nah, I think JSchon's just looking for a second income by fleecing his fellow commenters. :D

The problem with fining emoticons is that they're necessary to add tone to a text comment; without them, we'll have a lot more fights and misunderstandings.

Besides, so Schultz-bashing is okay? :D

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: I'd suggest increasing the fine for Semin bashing. He's the best!

Anyone capable of trying to get all those offenses in one post? =P *writes out check for $13*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 10, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Redlineblue thinks these fines are Fehr, but a few are missing and we're doomed without them. Tarik, what would it hurt to improve the ice?
(Send Schultz around to break my legs; all my money's tied up in 109!)

Posted by: redlineblue | February 10, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"How much would it cost to show extreme disdain for Theodore for having even talked to the sad sack which many call Paris Hilton?"

/resisting urge to make joke from this quote...

Posted by: Section117 | February 10, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

yay for free Schultz-Bashing and free emoticons! \(^.^)/

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I drink zero coffee.
I can't remember my last cup of joe...
I also can't remember what I wore yesterday either.

Ok emoticons are now at a reduced fine.
$6.50

:-/

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

from now on, any mention of Matt Bradley needs to include Professor. that clip was so amazing I'll be watching it for weeks.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 10, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

@redlineblue - I need a math major to figure out your fine.

@kittypaws - $13.00 for you

@mauree - add $6.50

@me - $6.50

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Aha, the lack of dehumidifiers raises it's ugly head. I'll loan out the one in my basement doing nothing this time of year and pay the Jschon fine as long as the money goes to buying another dehumidifier unit for the subpar ice surface. If you add fines for lambasting Erskine, I'll pay that too because he is AHL, not NHL level. I wonder if the Caps will need my extension cord for dehumidifier. It'll look funny in the middle of the faceoff circle, oh well, if it improves the icesheet's maturing. Speaking of maturing, I think they caught the ice sheet taking too long in the bathroom, so it's almost through it's teenage stage.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 10, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

All proceeds from our fines will go to subsidize an end of the season party @ Boo's house.

I'm bringing a 13 layer dip.

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

So who saw the "warrior mites" on redline last night? I noticed the one kid laying another one out and was thinkin to myself man we need to sign him up quick to replace Schultzie.

Posted by: CapManJ | February 10, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Good, I hate coffee.

Okay, so we need a hockey-related discussion to distract us - we lose too much when the blog has nothing to talk about and goes off track.

We've all been talking that it'd be nice to have a shut-down D at the trade deadline. Given that we now have 8 active D plus Pothier, I don't seriously think we'll add another unless a trade is in the offing and maybe not then. So, who if anyone would you trade/add/drop, and what would your ideal blueline look like going into the playoffs?

I think I can't entirely answer this question for myself yet. I want to see what Kronwall can do and am really hoping he gets a sweater on Wednesday. My answer will entirely depend on what Kronwall looks like. I'd have to give him three or four games, because he is adjusting to our system and probably will start out of the gate a little slow.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Somebody is gonna be rich....if the fines are ever collected!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 10, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

We are to have a ragging party at Boo's.

Oingo Boingo
Snoop Dogg
Radiohead
Kajagoogoo
Neil Diamond

I'll invite all of the Capitals Ice Girls, except for the one guy...

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

7 more games untill we reach the last 21 game stretch...wooo hooo

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 10, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

If fans would hold their breath (perhaps in alternating sections -- those few who are smarter than me could develop a plan), the VC would not need new dehumidifiers. Thus the ice could be improved quickly and easily without losing Mites on Ice.

Posted by: uncatim | February 10, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@pawz

assuming no trade is made, here's my ideal blueline:

Collins/Green
Alzner/Jurcina
(best of Mo, Erskine, Kronwall)/Poti

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

ICE CONDITIONS = It wont get any better at MSG tomorrow night. They have awful ice as well, and it is all blamed on use of the floor.

I think we have to look at dehumidifiers to reduce humidity. The A/C also has to be very cold.

I think the idea of ending on ice activity between periods has to be considered if it will make a difference.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 10, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Schultz over Collins every day of the week

Posted by: CBT2 | February 10, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss: You know, that almost makes me sad in a way.

@mauree: Green/Erskine hasn't been bad, and we don't have Collins up right now. Do you mean Schultz?

Me, I'm tempted to think we trade Mo for a draft pick or something and run with seven D into the playoffs. He is not going to get resigned - he has not earned what he is making this year, let alone what he's rumored to ask for this coming year. At least IMO. So, I see this:

Green-Erskine
Alzner-Jurcina
Schultz/Kronwall-Poti

Kronwall/Schultz

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

It's also possible that Erskine gets swapped out with Schultz as Green's partner. I'm staying away from that debate.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone think this Kronwall guy is going to do anything here? He couldn't crack the Leafs lineup. I really dont get it, and dont expect him to be in the lineup...If he does then good for him...

Posted by: SA-Town | February 10, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

kitty, it's Schultz and Green; Alzner and Jurcina; Kronwall and Poti. Mo and the Lumberjack on the bench or the block.
I've decided Kronwall's his big brother plus a mean streak. (After JSchon made me waive my Schultz-trashing, I have cap room for a new groundless opinion...)

Posted by: redlineblue | February 10, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

@pawz

you asked about personal favourites - I'm implying Collins to be brought up.

I know, good thing I'm not the coach :p

Posted by: mauree | February 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town -- he was on waivers to crack the Leafs line-up. One of the problems with the Leafs' blueline is a number of overpaid vets that can't send down to the Marlies. Kronwall also is coming off a long-term injury, so he may be ready. Finally, he is a big, tough, slick-skating, good passing blueliner = he is worth giving a try out due to Erskine/Schultz/Jurnica issues with not having the aforementioned combination.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

These comments are worse than the garbage at Redskins Insider!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | February 10, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS

I know there is no risk for a salary standpoint.

I guess we'll just wait and see. We have time to make decisions if we need to get better "upgrades."

It is interesting to see what two major buyers are going to do with the Rangers, and Habs. They look awful, and they are going to be looking to get better for sure.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 10, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@redlineblue: Ha! My only thing with my opinions is that I like them to have grounds most of the time, as I'm usually a creature of logic. (Or I try to be.)

@SA-Town: Um, he was on re-entry waivers? I'm holding judgement right now; I don't know that much about the guy, but Tarik's comment about the mountain range on the blueline sounded promising. We certainly don't lose anything by giving him a go and seeing what he's got. Were I him, I'd be looking at this as his golden chance.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - There's a new fine on here.

19. Mentioning Neil Diamond in a hockey blog - $3,986 fine

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

WaPoLive mentioned the Redskins.

Thats a $100 fine.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

My check is in the mail...

Posted by: JSchon | February 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posting a post to suggest fines: $2009 fine.

That said my take on the ice is that they should just leave the arena at 60 deg. all the time, maybe the wiz would win a few games if they freeze out the opponents. Come to think of it, maybe they should just play on the ice.

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:

3. Typing any numeral as to denote what number comment you are - $62.23 fine

So you owe the pot $ 933.45, right?

I'd like to add one to the list, though.

19. Asking Tarik about an injured player RIGHT AFTER he posted about said injured player. $200

I owe $62.23. BTW, where the heck did you come up with THAT number?

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I love my Wiz, but Kelly's comment was hilarious.

Posted by: dukster | February 10, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

My boss is happy this week so far. I'm actually getting work done.

Sorry. Didn't mean to curse in public.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 10, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Re: Kronwall - Not having seen the big Swede in action yet, I am going to hold judgment, but I am very VERY interested in seeing what he can do. He *was* on re-entry waivers when we snagged him - a great snag, if you ask me. If he's anything like his older brother, he's going to be very good.

@ds_kelly - Naah, having the Wizards play on the ice would open them up to groin injuries... we can't have that! ;-)

Where do I send my emoticon fine?

Posted by: irockthered | February 10, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town -- Yeah, I expect the Rangers, the Pens, Habs, and Hawks all to be busy at the deadline as buyers; I expect that the Ducks, the Preds, the Trashers, and Bolts to be sellers. The derby for Bouwmeister and Kovulchuk will be interesting. And no, I don't care about spelling

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

lollers at JSchon's list. Amazing.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | February 10, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree on most of the expected players to be on the auction block, but I would be shocked if Florida gives up Bouwmeester. On that same subject, the Panther management appears intent on making a playoff push this year...

Posted by: nomarjax01 | February 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

For Saturday night games where an event took place during the day, they need to change the start time to 8pm. Oh and the players will love it when they get to MSG and see the condition of the ice after the dog show the previous two nights!

Posted by: wienerdog4410 | February 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

As to the ice condition, how about we kick out the Wizards?

Posted by: gonhkn | February 10, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse