Morning Reading List

PH2009021402123.jpg
Chris O'Meara--The Associated Press

*The Capitals earned five out of six points on their three-game road trip, which concluded with an Alex Ovechkin hat trick in a 4-2 win over the Florida Panthers yesterday. Washington is now 13 points ahead of Florida in the Southeast Division standings.

*Here's the game from the Panthers' perspective from the Miami Herald, the Sun-Sentinel and the Palm Beach Post

*In case you really missed all things hockey related this weekend, the above picture is of Mike Green finding the back of the net for the eighth-straight game on Saturday night to make NHL history with the longest streak of consecutive games with a goal by a defenseman.

*This story from The Hockey News came before Green's record-breaker but to put his achievement in more perspective look at the second half of the page where there are projections for Green this season and how his current numbers compare to the totals of all 30 NHL teams' defense corps.

*The Caps Dads/Mentors made the trip to Florida with the team to enjoy some hockey and some golf, but it also allowed Dave Green to watch his son's historical night. Mike Vogel has two interviews one pre-record-breaking goal, and the video below is post-goal.

*Here are the highlights from yesterday's win over the Panthers.

*You may have already seen it but Michal Neuvirth's freshly-painted mask arrived this weekend.

*In more Olympic fodder, several ESPN folks listed their early odds for the men's tournament in Vancouver.

In the system:
*I made a visit to Giant Center this weekend and Coach Bob Woods didn't pull any punches with his assessment of the Bears performance Saturday night. Hershey dropped a 5-4 decision to Norfolk, whom the Bears had defeated 15 out of the 17 previous meetings. "In the second period, we played like the color of our jerseys," Woods said, referencing the pink jerseys the team wore for Valentine's Day.

*To make matters worse the loss was Hershey's fourth straight. The Bears look to end their longest losing streak of the season when they face Syracuse tonight.

*Joel Broda recorded a hat trick for the Hitmen in their 8-4 win over his former team the Moose Jaw Warriors.

By Katie Carrera  |  February 16, 2009; 9:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 4, Panthers 2
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Gotta keep the peddle on the gas with how well the Devils are playing. I also found it interesting that Nyles was a healthy scratch. The Caps showed some awesome resilence yesterday, but all those penalties will bite them in their a$$es if they do not learn to avoid them.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 16, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

@windjammersouth: You changed your post. Good for you - it actually looked pretty good and was pretty cool the first time you posted it. Don't think we can't tell when you're cutting and pasting, and don't do it with ANY post. Write something new every time, or don't write anything.

Oh, and lost my way what? Because I'm saying there's no real point to D&G right now and I'll probably find some later? That was uncalled for, dude.

It's true that there is a bandwagon this year. That's no bad thing. Every good team gets them. Winning attracts fans, that's how it is with every team in every city. The test is whether those fans stay when times aren't so good, and that will depend on how long we stay good and how far we go. People will stick around a long time if there's a lot of glory in the past. We don't know if they will - time will tell.

For now, who cares? Sure, we're upstarts. We've never had a bandwagon like this one before in the history of the franchise. Who knows what'll happen. For now, enjoy the ride. Your Sabres fan is just jealous :)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Observations from Sunrise:
1) It's a 3 1/2 trip one-way for me, and it was an hour extra going down there on the "scenic route." Saw some swamps, though.
2) Arena was nice and the fans not hostile. Was about 80-85% full, with many Caps fans.
3) Morrisonn looks better in person than on TV.
4) The team looked tired, maybe explaining the penalties.
5) Was great when Ovechkin got hat trick - me in Ovie jersey.
6) Got to sit in $44 seats for $10 due to accidently ordering "children's seats."
7) Met FedorovCrunch and found out why she picked that name.
8) Caps are still on pace to win SE going away with 110 pts.
9) Oh, as a former Theodore detractor, I think I'm cured. He's plenty solid.
10) Also, from seeing in person first time this year, I can surmise the aggressive forcheck is partly the cause to sometimes allowing breakaways. Live by the sword, die by the sword. It's BB's way, and it works in the end.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 16, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

HEALTHY SCRATECHES:

Nylander was a scratch because he is 36, and BB is going to try and rest some guys and save some legs for the playoffs. You are starting to see a rotation which will continue down the stretch as long as we stay healthy. It will also keep McPhee's hand full to make a deal if need be.

I hope the players respond well to it, but sitting down here and there can really be a good thing come playoff time.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 16, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS: Gotta agree with that. NJD is kicking butt and taking names right now, and we're going to have to keep our foot on the gas to take that second seed back. Not impossible, but we can't be sloppy or lazy. I think what has to happen is that we have to come and play to win every single night. We can do that, and I'm starting to see flashes of it in the boys, but it's not consistent yet.

I think the reason Nylander was scratched was because Beagle is a center, he's an older guy and probably needed the rest, and Steckel and Gordon are smokin' good penalty-killers. As you've observed, we need a good penalty kill because we can't seem to stay out of the frickin' box.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Also on scratches

If a guy gets a minor injury or gets dinged up slightly, you may see them sit where in the past they wouldnt..(ex: Semin vs NYR)

You have to also use your depth to make sure minor injury problems dont get worse.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 16, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

When Kozlov comes back, he should be the RW on the 3rd line.

Keep

OV/Back/Semin
Flash/Fed/Fehr
Laich/Nyls/Kozlov
Brashear/Steckel/Bradley/Gordon

Hopefully there is a move or two being discussed to relieve us of our crowded blueline. I'm in the camp that we do not need to add any forwards.

Posted by: JSchon | February 16, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Neuvirth get a few more starts this season, since it looks like we're riding Theodore and either him or Varlamov into the playoffs. Granted that he probably won't play much, but I'd like to see what he can do beyond one game.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

PENGUINS/CAPS on Sunday

This is just a hunch from a reliable source...

Expect to get in your seats early to honor Mike Green's goal streak by a D-man record. Since the game in on NBC, you cant delay the start like you would if it were on Comcast.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@ Kittypawz -- I actually think that the Devils push is good for the Caps because they are so far ahead in the SE and Boston is pretty far outfront. It gives the Caps a tangible, nightly goal -- stay even with the streaking Devils (wow, there's a mental image).

For the Nylander apologists -- is BB giving Nyles big minutes? No. Has BB switched Nylander to wing to see if he could kindle Nyles' play? Yes. Did it work? No. Has BB sat other older players like Feds? No. The triple F line is clicking into high gear, whereas Nyles seems stuck in neutral. He seemed to be getting a bit better for a while with a couple goals, but then that fizzled. BB plays who's hot like Fehr. BB challenged Fehr who has responded and so he skates while Nyles watches. Unless Nyles wakes up for the playoffs or is traded (not likely), he is dead weight on the roster and BB is letting him know that.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 16, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS

The only thing I want to point out, is that with Clark out, Nylanders vet leadership and calmness will be very important to the room come playoff time.

We need someone like him playing well, so Im keeping a close eye on him, and hoping he is a top 9 come April.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@JIM

Agree with everything you said.

I'll add that because he realizes he is dead weight here and won't be an big part of this teams playoff push and run, he may decide to waive his NMC to get a new start somewhere.

Posted by: JSchon | February 16, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I just feel bad for Mike Green that his record-breaking shot will be immortalized in a frame with some of the most appalling jerseys ever to have graced the NHL ice. 10 years from now, when people see that picture in the Hall of Fame, they'll do a double take wondering if this is actually from the AHL or juniors. "Who were the 'Bolts' and when did they play in the NHL?"

Posted by: katzistan | February 16, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It could be worse, the sweaters could have said "NING".

Posted by: JSchon | February 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1-

It was nice to meet you. I meant to get back over again but I got distracted. I was going to ask if you ended up with any of the giveaways (bobbleheads, etc) from Caps games in DC.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@katzistan: No. Those jerseys have NOTHING on the candy-cane-gone-bats look Montreal was sporting for one game this year. The old Canucks jersey (the black, orange, and yellow) was pretty horrid too. Puck Daddy's got some real nasty looking jerseys in his entries from time to time.

@JIMALLCAPS: No argument here - it is good for them. We're even with them right now and they hold the tiebreaker because of more wins. They have a tangible goal, night in and night out, and one that is attainable.

It makes me sad, but the fact is that we have a glut of centers right now. We won't come next year unless Fedorov resigns, which I tend to doubt.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

windjammer is right about one thing - the final 21 games couldn't hardly be any more favorable.

Did you realize the Caps have only four more road trips over the final 7 1/2 weeks of the season? There a one day trip to Boston Feb 28th, but the day before is a rest day; there's a two-game trip to Nashville and Philly with days off before, during and after; a five-gamer March 16-24, but the teams are ATL, FLA, TB, CAR and TOR; and finally the three-gamer to ATL, TB and FLA to end the season.

I'm excited. I'm thinking a veteran, tough blueliner is the only acquisition needed.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Regarding streaking Devils images - I've got a worse one for you from MVN:

For the Flyers, Jeff Carter is streaking, but in the opposite way they'd like (or in one of the opposite ways they'd like because I'm not sure if him sprinting naked through the Wachovia Center is what they'd like).

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

FedCrunch:

I have a BB bobblehead that another daughter brought back from Caps-Devils in Feb.

Nice to meet you too. I know you enjoyed game and the $10 seats.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 16, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

It was good to see Fehr get some limited PP time yesterday.

Posted by: JSchon | February 16, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

In reading the articles from the Florida perspective, I find it highly amusing when teams say, "I thought we kept Ovechkin under wraps pretty well for most of the game". You know, except for when he goes out and scores 3 goals against you. Babcock said the same thing before OV scored 2 in the 3rd.

I just find that entertaining because I remember the Caps being on the other side of those statements.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 16, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Re: Crazy jerseys - I still think the third jersey the Penguins have this season makes them look like powder puff girls - and I DON'T mean the super heroes on Cartoon Network!

But... that third jersey the Habs sported was horrific. Absolutely horrific! It should be banned from the NHL on the grounds that it's so ugly it's distracting to the fans and players alike. I think there's something in the rulebook about distracting... somewhere...

Whoever designed the BOLTS jerseys needs to be taken out back for a good hiding, not because they're unattractive (which they are, but more in a utilitarian sense than in an ugly sense), but because they're stupid. :-p That'd be like us wearing a jersey that says CAPS across the front in diagonal. It looks like a jersey they might wear in the AHL... :-p Or in college.

But at least they're not powder blue, and they don't look like a candy cane puked.

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1-

Those seats were amazing! There was also a group of 4 Caps fans in the row in front of me, which made it pretty cool. If you want an Ovi w/ trophies bobble, let me know. I ended up with an extra since my brother came down for the game and didn't want it.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 16, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I hope for the Caps sake that either Nyles pulls himself up and plays like he is capable of -OR- the Caps trade for a rugged defender or a veteran playoff calibre centre. I often look to what the Isles may have to trade, such as Doug Weight, or the Leafs, such as Nik Antropov, or Saint Louis, such as Keith Thachuk, even though he is a LW (or even Geurin who is a RW)

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 16, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 10:03 AM

@ irockthered: Too true. Again, I think what they were trying to do was steal some of 91's mojo by having sweaters that matched his "tuuk" (sp?)

Other thoughts (@everyone):

--OV: Oh no you DIDN'T!. I'm ecstatic about the hat trick, but did he have to taunt the opposing netminder before the game? That's something I would expect Crosby to do. Remnds me of when the '84 Chicago Bears made a rap video declaring themselves Super Bowl champions before the regular season was half over. Never mind that they delivered on the claim: it was a no-class move. I have always believed OV was a better person and sportsman than that.

That said: 151' and breaking the stick...WOW!

--Say what you will about penalty trouble and our (perceived) defensive liabilities: seems to me a Caps tradition is emerging that could be right up there with the octopus-throwers of Detroit: for as long as I can remember, the Caps simply DO NOT hang rookie goaltenders out to dry in their first NHL starts.

--I don't care much for "Beagley-Beagley" as a nickname. How about "Überdog" (if he plays well) or "Snoopy" (if he plays poorly).

--Just when everyone was screaming "Trade Him!" 26 scores...Take THAT, haters!

FEAR THE WEAGLE!
LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

We have to stay healthy and cut back on some of the mins for our top players. Nice to see Fehr getting a half decent chance at becoming a real NHL player. The young guys can't improve by watching from the bench. We will need a ton of secondary scoring if we want to be contenders this playoff season. We know OV and Semin will score, but we need Fehr,Laich etc to chip in as well.

Posted by: Freez | February 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I have an Idea for a Caps third sweater:

Big Weagle on a dark blue background.

Nothing else.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree with JSchon, Koz to the third line would be the smart move. The three F's are clicking, and a third line of 21, 92, 25 could be interesting (plus probably the highest paid 3rd line in the NHL).

Posted by: Steve_R | February 16, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought the Habs retro jerseys were kind of cool. The Tampa jerseys look like they're from roller hockey international.

Posted by: katzistan | February 16, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@FedsCrunch:

You can email me at Tom_Orem@yahoo dot com. I would very much the Ovie bobblehead.

Rhino40: I like the big weagle idea, but not on blue. It is too confusing when teams have a third jersey that is a different color from the standard jersey. Plus the "Rock the Red" is entrenched as a slogan. Weagle on Red, I can support.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Habs jersey was retro, not really a 3rd from the ninties rave scene or the 80's beneton phase. Oddly enough that jersey was their real jersey from the 1912-1913 National Hockey Association team Club Ahletique Canadien. The CAC on the front didn't help much either

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 16, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Just when everyone was screaming "Trade Him!" 26 scores...Take THAT, haters!"

Dude, it was the 3rd goal of 5 against Tampa, calm down. He's still making almost $2 million, and he's still taking some silly penalties that put the PK unit 2 men down.

So..."Trade Him!"

Posted by: Section117 | February 16, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Not only that, Steve_R, but if Semin gets taken off of the 1st, he can go to any of the 3 lines and he's got chemistry with the center. I think that's pretty win-win, really. Ovie gets Kozlov back, and Semin gets either Fedorov or Nylander. Not bad at all.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 16, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 - Actually, with Ovi, I'm sure the taunts were good-natured and not malicious. He's not the sort to do malicious taunting, but a little trash-talk before the game? I expect that out of everyone.

Re: Third Jersey - Oooh! I likee! Except we're all Rockin' the RED, so putting the Weagle on dark blue would kinda defeat the marketing gimick... :-p I could support a big Weagle-on-Red jersey. :-)

@JIMALLCAPS - I don't care if the Habs jersey was "retro" or if it was the biggest new thing since the Penguins' powder blue; it was the FUGLIEST thing I've seen on the ice, LOL! 1912-1913 fashion needs to stay in 1912-1913, -OR- come out in 2012-2013. If they wanted a retro jersey from their 100th year, they should have gone from the 1908-1909 jersey...

Unless it was worse or something, LOL!

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@Rhino40: I like that idea. Dark blue, with red trim and white patches, with just the weagle on the front and the name and number in white with red trim on the back. Triangular white patches over the shoulder and down to the elbow, possibly. I think simple is better in a lot of ways.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

There's no way that Habs retro jersey was worse than the infamous Ducks' third jersey. That's the worst thing ever to make it onto NHL ice. "Bolts" is a close second...

Posted by: katzistan | February 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Re: the Hershey Bears - Ouch. We've dropped to 3rd in the League behind the Manitoba Moose (81 points in 57 games) and the Milwaukee Admirals (74 points in 53 games) - we have 74 points in 55 games. :-( And the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins are right on our tails with 73 points. Man, the guys need to get it together up in Chocolate Town! Hopefully they'll be able to, because I'd love for them to take home the Big Trophy this year!!!

They still have the most Goals For in the League, with 207 to the next-closest 194...

Dan Bylsma is now coaching Pittsburgh instead of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and he owes that big juicy chance to our very own Bruce Boudreau. It'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

OFB did a pretty good mock-up of a jersey just like that a couple of months ago. I'm sure it's still on their site somewhere...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 16, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Ovi trash-talked Kolzig, too, remember. I don't think trash-talk is unsportsmanlike at all - I think it's funny.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@katzistan - I actually like the Ducks' third jersey, given that A) the team is owned by Disney Corp., and B) at the time, they were the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim..." You're talking about this one, yes? The Donald Duck-esque goalie mask is beast, LOL!

Then again, I've always liked teal as a color... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered - nope, I mean this monstrosity: http://sjsharkie.dagnabit.org/hoser/wj-ana.jpg

Posted by: katzistan | February 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It sounds to me like Hershey's problem might be goaltending. They need Varlamov back. Of course, I haven't seen a game lately, so I couldn't tell you.

That aside, Washington's injury situation has been an absolute pain in the a** for the entire organization. Opportunity for the players, headache for the offices and coaching staff.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@katzistan - ROFL! OMG, that is AWESOME! I must have one! I love it!!! I have a serious soft spot for 'toons, though, and Donald Duck in hockey gear makes me laugh. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Bears defense has also just been terrible, Goaltending has been a bit rough, and Power Play has been bad good passing but no rotating going on during the power plays. And a coach that well ok I will just stop typing now.

Posted by: cocorules | February 16, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Hershey does need Varlamov back, and BADLY.

Right now, they *only* have Machesney and this Kris Mayotte guy, who has played only one game, and lost it, 5 GA and 24 saves. .828 SV%. The last time he played for the AHL was in 2005-06 when he played a game for the Lowell Lock Monsters, and he lost that one too... :-( I haven't watched Mayotte play, so I don't know if the game he lost was because of bad goaltending on his part or bad defense on the rest of the team's part, and I won't condemn him for one loss...

But Machesney's SV% isn't much better, at .869, over 24 games...

Mayotte played fairly well for the Johnstown Chiefs in the ECHL... 18-9-2 for them. Hopefully, he'll get a bit more ice time and can do something with it to help Machesney, because Machesney can't be expected to play three games in a row every weekend without a break and not fall over.

Varlamov needs to get healthy. Now.

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1:

I appreciate the feedback. You make some valid points. I agree that a weagle on a red sweater wood look very good indeed.

The main reasons I was thinking blue background were:

--we already have a red sweater and a white sweater, so having the third sweater made predominantly in the third color made sense.
--As a relatively recent convert to hockey (only about 15 years), I used our last set of sweaters as example: One was white, one was blue, one was black.

@JIMALLCAPS: "CAC"...wasn't that a curse word in Roman times?

@Section117: I didn't say I expected 26 to score a lot of goals--that's for G-52 (Bombs Away) to do. I'm just saying I think he's far from useless, and some forwards (cough-28-cough) have seemed to have just as much of a propensity for taking bad penalties at inopportune times as does 26.

Let's face it, we're not the Detroit Red Wings, where perennial All-Stars can somehow be induced to play for (relative) peanuts.

And that's OK. I don't ever want us to get into that Yankees/Montreal type of mindset where we believe that victory is preordained by the Almighty, and defeat is a violation of His Plan. Moreover, DET is not without their own problems (Osgood=not so good).

Yes, I'd like to see us spend less time in the box. Yes, I'd like to see our goaltenders give up fewer "softies", and their bids for shutouts supported. Yes, I'd like to see fewer bad turnovers. And yes, I'd like to see us ***consistently*** dominate the teams that CW says we are "supposed" to beat...(but I think we turned that corner on Saturday).

In the meantime, I'll settle for:

--a high scoring D-Man who just set a new NHL record;
--possibly the greatest left wing of all time;
--a high-octane power play;
--almost no goalie "controversy" to speak of, and
--a PK that has improved dramatically of late.

It is not out of the question for a Cup to emerge from that combination.

What we ALSO have is a chemistry that I am loathe to tamper with at this juncture. Of course, I'm not GMGM, so I'll support (and hope to understand) whatever he decides to do at the deadline.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@cocorules - Actually, I'd like to hear this, since I've been following the Bears this season...

I know they've had their own troubles with injuries, and presumably the Caps' injury situation has not helped. Is Grant McNeill playing now, or is he still out with that broken arm?

Who on defense would you specifically call out for bad play? Who's been playing with whom? Have they kept the lines together the way the Caps were playing them, or did they shuffle when the boys came home? The Caps had some chemistry trouble bringing the Bears onboard, and again when they went home; I'd guess that the same problem happened in Hershey... but they seem to be taking longer to recover from it.

What about the coach is giving you fits?

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: katzistan | February 16, 2009 11:36 AM

@katzistan:

GHAAAAAAAA! Get it away from me!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 10:43 AM
-----------------------
I have NEVER heard anyone other than the person on this blog call him Beagley-Beagley. In Hershey he is just "Beags".

Posted by: tess2201 | February 16, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | February 16, 2009 11:57 AM

@Tess2201: I hope you're right. I really do. Because just ONE of those things destroyed my entire crew in less than 24 hours, and if the colonists have found that ship there's no telling how many of them have been exposed...XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Its fair to say Mo and Semin both take knucklehead penalties. There endeth their comparability. The D equivalent of Semin is a *true shutdown knucklehead* who makes highlight-reel breakout passes and keeps most 2 on 1s from turning into scoring chances.
That ain't Mo, and Saturday's goal brings him into the blueline-firepower stratosphere with...Poti!

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@ Rhino40 -- I know that the HBO series Rome used CAC

@ irockthered -- agreed, historical or not, the Habs uni's are technocolor yawns. They should never, ever be used again. So back to CAC, yes, pure CAC

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 16, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey all! Great Weekend! Here's how the schedule looks fo rthe rest of the season- I like our chances...just kidding...I wouldn't do that to ya!

Here is an interesting link from TSN - best lines in NHL and trade rumors from local papers- take it all with a grain of salt:

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Caps Fans -- TSN has ranked lines and the Caps top line is the top line in all hockey. Check it out: http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=266990&lid=sublink06&lpos=headlines_nhl

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 16, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Beags it is! :-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS - And not only is the Ovi-Backstrom-Semin line #1, the Ovi-Backstrom-Kozlov line is #7! How awesome is THAT?!

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

i missed everything hockey this weekend...where is the highlight video of the Bolts victory?

love those highlight vids...

but why do we sometimes get them and sometimes dont? who does them...who is responsible for this inconsistency?

Posted by: deadskin | February 16, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@deadskin - they're not always posted here, but they're always available on Caps365. That includes pre- and post-game interviews, game highlights, in-game videos, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me that a Ovi-Backstrom-Donald Duck line would be in the top 10. The first two are just that good.

Interesting how the Caps are never mentioned as a team interested in any of the players in the rumors.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 16, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan: Blast you, sir. Now I have mental images of Donald Duck in a Caps jersey with a stick cussing at the goaltender while Ovi and Backstrom shoot!

The lack of mention of the Caps in trade rumors is vintage GMGM for you. He's playing it close - nothing new there. Me, I'll sit back with the popcorn and watch. I have a few thoughts on who I might go for, and they don't match popular opinion.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I know, I am a trouble maker. But here is one I will throw out. Saw this on CBS Sportsline from February 12th. Who from these two teams would we be watching?

According to the Pioneer Press, the Xcel Energy Center press box was packed with scouts for Wednesday's Colorado-Minnesota contest. In attendance for the game were representatives from Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, Philadelphia, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Washington and Boston, which sent four scouts. Wild GM Doug Risebrough has said he is willing to part with defense to improve the team's offense.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 16, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan: I'm betting on Marc-Andre Bergeron. He's got the best Corsi on the team this year, is UFA at the end of the season with a cap hit of 1.16 mil. Zidlicky is another possibility, but he's got another year left on his contract at 3.5 per. Nick Schultz, even more so. Because of the number of D we've got coming up through the system and the number of forwards we need to resign at high dollar figures, I think GMGM will be looking for short-term rentals.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan:
CLUTTERBUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Also, if I had to look at Colorado, I'd say Jordan Leopold might interest us for many of the same reasons.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@rhino40

why would you expect crosby to taunt the goalie? crosby never takes shots...

im sure it was all in good fun...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 16, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Clutterbuck?

Posted by: _Mark | February 16, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I did, I did, I did!! :-D

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan and Kittypawz - Dammit, now I have to Photoshop it in. ROFL! Ovi-Backstrom-Donald Duck!

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked here it is:

Update Fixed III: Just want to thank everyone for their input making this info better each time.

Is everyone prepared for the 21-game salute?

Picture perfect heading into the stretch. Picasso couldn't have painted a more beautiful picture. Is anyone more excited than I about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run! All we need is a veteran puck moving defensman.

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Did you know that 4 straight games are at home "before" kicking off the 21-game salute. While those teams present a good challenge they are at home and our crowd is the 7th man. It will be a good tune up for us.

The other thing I'm sure you missed but the Wind is here to make sure you don't is that the Penguins (who we love to hate) play 9 out of the next 12 games on the road. Man if there ever is a time for them to melt away on the thin ice of new day let's consider this the beginning of the end of their season. And to boot they have to play our CAPS twice in the Phone Booth with the ZOO present.

Rock n Roll

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 16, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@Boo- - THAT is gonna be the caption of what's coming out of Donald Duck's mouth, LOL!

CLUTTERBUCK!!!!!!!!

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Windjammer? Go away.

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz
Could u explain from your previous post at 9:51am "we wont come next year unless Federov resigns,which i tend to doubt"
tks

Posted by: wendel2 | February 16, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, you're all wrong.

the habs retro jerseys looked like a bad pajamas. :)

though if they did some figure skating spins, they could have perhaps gotten a barbershop poll effect going.

Posted by: spotter | February 16, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 10:03 AM

IRTR, any chance you could dig out the wording for that ruling from the official rulebook? Cheers.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Clutterbuck is fun to say. But Clutterbuck is Wild, to stay. Clutterbuck is on a tear; he'd do well on a line with Fehr. In every hockey-lovin' town, there is Clutterbuck renown.

I do apologize.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2: Small rephrase. We won't have a glut of centers if Fedorov retires, which I tend to think he probably will. (I hope he doesn't.) Does that help?

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue:
Bravo, sir! (*golf clap*) Well played indeed.

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan - Absolutely, my dear Mr. Dave! Here it is! ;-)

25.4 Violations During the Shot - If, while the penalty shot is being taken, any player, goalkeeper, Coach or non-playing Club personnel of the opposing team shall have by some action interfered with or distracted the player taking the shot and, because of such action, the shot should have failed, a second attempt shall be permitted and the Referee shall impose a bench minor penalty to the offending team, and if a player or goalkeeper on the bench is responsible, a misconduct penalty on the player or goalkeeper so interfering or distracting shall be assessed.

If, while the penalty shot is being taken, any player, goalkeeper, Coach or non-playing Club personnel of the team taking the shot shall have by some action interfered with or distracted the goalkeeper defending the shot and, because of such action, the shot was successful, the Referee shall rule no goal and shall impose a bench minor penalty to the offending team, and if a player or goalkeeper on the bench is responsible, a misconduct penalty on the player or goalkeeper so interfering or distracting shall be assessed.

I'd say off-hand that those awful jerseys qualify as distracting for purposes of penalty shots. "I couldn't take the shot/make the save! I was BLIND!"

ROFL!

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan - Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov will play until spring 2010 or the Caps in the finals, whichever comes first. He wants to hand that tin to another generation of Russians.
Backstrom-Ovechkin-Anyone; Fehr-Flash-Anyone; Semin-Fedorov-Almost Anyone. Are we having fun yet?

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@rhino40

why would you expect crosby to taunt the goalie? crosby never takes shots...

im sure it was all in good fun...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 16, 2009 2:41 PM

@richmondphil: Ouch! I guess you're right, since Bettman has scored all of Crosby's goals for him LOL.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Mathieu Schneider to Habs for 2009 2nd rounder and 2010 3rd rounder. Habs also get a 2009 conditional choice.

Play-off trades are finally starting....

Posted by: atybat | February 16, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 - Did you notice that Mike Green has scored more goals than Crosby, in fewer games this season?

I'd say he'd make a damnfine "face of the NHL," if you ask me! ;-)

Though I wouldn't do that to Mike... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"I have an Idea for a Caps third sweater:
Big Weagle on a dark blue background.
Nothing else.
Thoughts?

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 10:45 AM "

OFB had a mock up of that very design over the summer. IF the Caps go the third Jersey route, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being something along those lines.

That being said, their marketing has been very focused and heavy on the rocking the RED, so I don't expect a third jersey any time soon, especially not in Capitals Navy blue.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 16, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com confirms atybat's post. Link here.

I think it's a good deal for the Habs.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

You know what? I'm not excited about the stretch run.

That's 10 or 11 games against teams with legitimate playoff aspirations. Carolina is just three games out of the eighth seed; Nashville's only four away. Depending on how they respond to the new coaching situation, the Penguins (five games back) could be fighting for their playoff lives, too. Heck, even Toronto has points in 7 of their last 10 games.

Florida, Boston, Philadelphia and Buffalo would all be in if the playoffs started tomorrow. They'll either be jockeying for position (Philadelphia) or trying to fight off the other teams (Florida, Buffalo). A deadline deal or two by some of these teams could make it even more difficult for the Caps.

Only eight of those games are against truly terrible teams (Atlanta, New York, and Tampa), and the Caps are only 1-1 against the Thrashers.

Look, the Caps have come out of the gate hard after the ASG, earning 14 points in 9 games. And still, the Devils have caught up.

So no, I'm not excited about the stretch run. I'm a Caps fan, so I'm nervous. I mean, at this point last year, weren't 'Canes fans saying the same thing about their 21-game salute?

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 16, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree John!

Screw the stretch run...We dont need it!

Posted by: SA-Town | February 16, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo! The Pens have moved up to 20th place in the NHL.

Go Cindy!

Way to represent, my man!

Face of the NHL in the top twenty...

See ya soon, baby cry.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys, I've been a fan of the Caps since '82 and even as a kid I thought that the Caps' jerseys were ugly. I've always wondered why we have such awful ones. The current third jersey is as close as we have ever gotten to a respectable one. Everything else looks like it belongs to a team in Las Vegas. The designs all over the place and the red used is just garish. The white jerseys aren't as painful to look at, but the design is still ugly. I used to wear a red Caps sweater in my high school days back in the 80's but that was mostly for shock effect. No one knew what hockey was in rural VA back then! I might wear one at a game now, but that's it. I like the more classic designs like the Canadiens and the Blackhawks, even the Wild's third jersey fits into that mold as well. I'd love to wear one of those, but I don't like any of those teams...

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 16, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 16, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Bond, JAMES Bond.

With a white scarf and driving gloves.

and a big C on his jersey.

Looks Abercrobie to me....

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@isaacc7: Honestly? I don't care for any of those. I like Calgary's jersey, and I like San Jose's. I don't especially object to Buffalo's (especially their third) but I'm not crazy about Boston's. And I think it's a little rich to like the Chicago one you have posted and complain that the Caps retro is too busy.

I like the one we have now, honestly, especially the white, but I also like the idea of the dark blue third jersey.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Isaacc, I'm with you to a point. I'm not much of a zing-pow! kind of guy when it comes to jersey designs. That's why I don't like the Nationals "Fuddrucker's" jerseys.

I do hate to point out that the Caps don't currently have a third jersey, however.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 16, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd say he'd make a damnfine "face of the NHL," if you ask me! ;-)

Though I wouldn't do that to Mike... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 3:54 PM

@irockthered: 100% Agreed. As another poster remarked: "He's Canadian, he's better looking than Crosby, and he doesn't punch opposing players in the 'nads from behind..."

@sombreroguy: yes, a big weagle on a RED background ***would*** look great; I simply thought that, since we already have a red and a white sweater, blue would seem a logical choice for a third. BTW, do you have a link to an image of that OFB mockup?

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 16, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Pens and Isles tied 2-2 and headed for a shootout. The mediocrity continues...

Posted by: tess2201 | February 16, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon, Steve R,

re: Koz on III line

in general I like it, but it also depends on the opponents... it's a fast fancy first line but if the opponents apply furious checking, maybe Kozzie can create more spaces.

Posted by: mauree | February 16, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Crosby failed to score on the SO. PENS loose to the NYI.

Awww :)

Posted by: mauree | February 16, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

And the Isle win the shootout. M-A Fleury gives up 2 goals in the shootout.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 16, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Recent report said that the Pens were 'shopping for somebody to play with Crosby'.

He don't have no friends to play with?

Try leading the league in goals, GWG, hits, celebrations after goals, shots-thru-the-legs-of-the-best-defenders-in-the-league and stuff like that......THEN you get to have lots of friends to play with.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

and they just spent $700 billion (I think that's right) on his new sandbox to play in.

Shame, that.....

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the OG Hawks jerseys are prob my favorite ones.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 16, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

isaacc7:
I agree - I love classic, retro style sweaters. I'd like to see a circle logo, maybe a center stripe and a lace-up neckline. I think that would look pretty sweet in navy blue as a third jersey.

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I like that hideous Habs sweater. If I were a Habs fan, I would be all over it. Then again, I am a Steelers fan and i kick myself for not getting that throwback jersey that they wore back in the'94.

I am not a fan of the Weagle as a main chest patch. I think it is a great shoulder patch, but not on the front.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 16, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I wondered the why the Caps new jerseys did'nt have the lace up necks, I think that would be sweet on a Caps jersey.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 16, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

ew, ew, ew!!!

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah man now those are bad! What is that supposed to be on the chest?

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 16, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

windjammers retarded

Posted by: bleedred | February 16, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

DANG it. I used up my 'Pens stink' gloating after they got shellacked in Toronto. Now they've lost to the flippin Islanders (!), and you know it's gonna be next Sunday they decide to Play Up.
Kitty, do your thing!

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 16, 2009 4:16 PM

"Current" third jersey?? Am I missing something here?

IRTR, don't apologise, thanks for proving a point.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@redlineblue:

I have unlimited credit for "Pens Stink' posts. You can use as much of mine as is needed.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@redlineblue: Not yet, man! Gotta wait until that's the next game on the docket to do that. Let's see what they do this week.

Honestly, for my lights, pointing and laughing at the Pens is kind of pointless. Yeah, they probably just hit bottom. Caps have been there done that. Yeah, some people might hate 'em, but they're just kind of pathetic at this point. I honestly feel sorry for Matt Cooke, I really do.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 16, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

All the Pens fans will do is say "How many Cups?"

But anytime they are iritated and are horrible, it makes my day a little brighter.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 16, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

He was fun to watch. I know players like that, you hate to play against them and are happy to have them on your team.

I'd be happy to have him back.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

LOVED the game. Was so great to see the Caps play live... jealous of you lucky folk who live there and get to see them regularly!
Met a few traveling fans, none from here though..... :-(
@fedorovcrunch......... why the crunch??
anyone who has an exta ovi bobble, would love to have one-will pay... (not rich though).
Got a chance to do meet & greet after game.... that was awesome!
Enjoy all your upcoming home games (thanks "passing" wind).... wish I could sit next to you and scream "go caps".... guess I have to be happy with center ice.

Posted by: seryogaSone | February 16, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Donald Brashear's uncle is Carl Brashear. First black Master Diver in US Navy history. Played by Cuba Gooding in the 2000 movie Men of Honor. He lost his leg while attempting to retrieve a nuclear bomb from the bottom of the ocean that had been lost during a plane crash off the coast of Spain. He won the right to continue as an active duty diver after losing his leg and served another ten years as an amputee.

In recent years, more people have done that (served on active duty as an amputee) but back then it was quite rare, especially for this particular job.

I love Donald for his work ethic and exciting style of play, he really gets it going sometimes. Gives us a lot to praise and be thankful for.

Knowing the honor that his uncle has shown us, I'm even more of a fan.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@FusilliJerry1 - ACK! Yellow-and-Black referee jerseys with castles on their chest?! Yikes!

And I thought the PENS had bad taste...!

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Pens fans asking "how many Cups" just cracks me up. My DeLorean's broken so I'm going to *this* year's games. (I was twenty years a Habs fan until ~95, so if we're living in the past...Pens still suck!)

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Pens, or Peenies. I hate them winning, I hate them losing, I hate them with an interim coach, I hate them with Cooke and Gonchar, I HATE THEM. Always and forever. If they lost every game for the next two and a half years, I would still gloat. If they get sold and relocated to freaking Kankakee (sp?) and are forced to play a lineup of thirteen year old girls I will giggle with glee as those little cupcakes eat rubber and glass for sixty minutes a night. I have seen too much. I have been through too much. Until they are contracted from the league, they will be my MOST HATED.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 16, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

kevbnyc:
That was very green eggs and ham.

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Boo-
Yeah, I do not like them.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 16, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I will EAT Pens on a plane

I will EAT Pens on a train

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Says CROSBY

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Feel free to read it to your kids.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 16, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

that was R rated, at best

I apologize.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

bet he does, though.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Nobody that hates the Caps talks this way about Ovi. With him it would be just so NOT plausable, but with Cindy......

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

ible

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

the worst they say is 'he hits dirty' or 'he is just a shooter'. Not this personal stuff. People that don't like SC really really don't like him.

Like me, for example.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@WhyGo - Thanks for that info on Brash's uncle - that's really cool! :-)

As for people who hate the Caps trash-talking Ovechkin... I won't point out some of what I've seen on Pennsblog, but after about two minutes of reading, I was so patently offended by the content that I won't be going there again.

Posted by: irockthered | February 16, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I just found this out myself about Brash. I'm sure plenty of people know, but I felt compelled to post it.

surely those Pennbloggers must feel the same if they read us at times!

Fair Trade.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

kevbnyc:
ya, somehow i knew that you were not a green eggs and ham kinda guy ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

My bad on the third jersey, talk about a brain fart... I remember seeing it before I went to the middle east a couple of years ago and thinking that it looked better than the usual. Why it didn't occur to me that I hadn't seen it watching this year is beyond me...

Still, I am a sucker for the classic looks, and the Caps' Jerseys have never done it for me. Now back to the usual programming...

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 16, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

isaacc7:
Are you referring to the black jersey? I am partial to that one myself. It may not be the third jersey anymore, but it is still my third jersey! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | February 16, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone watching the NY Rangers / Blues game? When will the Blues score to break the 0-0 game?

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 16, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Tarik,

Can you touch base with Bruce and see why Bob Woods and the Bears have lost 4 straight to the Baby Pens (1-4) and their former coach and Dan Bylsma's system that is now at the bigger baby pens :)

I would like to see if this has been a combination of the Bears goalies being in and out or something else.

Posted by: caps28fan | February 16, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

PIT can say as they will about Ovechkin. I contend that his -mother- is tougher and at least as good a leader as His Whininess. I'd hate Ovechkin, too, if a) he played for another team and b) I loved my team more than I love hockey.
But he doesn't, and I don't, and holy toledo it's a joy to watch Ovechkin play hockey.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

From a previous thread.

@ hook99

We agree. Just one thing. No one knows whether a goalie, young or otherwise, can be consistently good until they get a chance.

Who could've predicted that Steve Mason would be so sick for Columbus? Forget Calder, that kid is starting to get a mention for the Vezina and rightly so.

In what I have seen of Varlamov and Neuvirth I see signs that either can be our Steve Mason.

Theo has played much better overall, but I'm still far from convinced and still consider him our Achilles' heel. He loses the sight of the puck way too often, goes down too early, loses the net, is slow to recover and has bad rebound control (part of which is a penchant for having the puck squirt loose when it looks like he has it, like on the 2nd Panthers goal in our last game).

Both Varlamov and Neuvirth are better athletes, quick as a cat, have better positioning and rebound control, a better glove (lightning quick, in fact) and see the shots much better through traffic.

That last part is the biggest difference to me. In all 4 games that I've seen them play they looked like they always knew where the puck was, so would move into position to stop it. They saw it better through traffic and also knew where it is when they gave up rebounds.

Theo has no idea where it is half the time. He is often looking in the opposite direction or where the puck is and often leaves half the net open. He's been extremely lucky recently with teams missing the net or hitting posts when he does that.

All of that makes me a lot more calm when we've had one of the rookies in net and unbelievably jittery when Theo is in there. It should be the other way around since they're rookies and he's a veteran, but that's the way it is.

In any case, our future looks very bright. If we can get consistently well above average goaltending this team would be nearly unbeatable because most of the time it's the other team's goalie that has to sweat.

Posted by: ranndino | February 16, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Mauree

I've been meaning to mention that I've kept an especially close eye on Schultz since we had our little debate on here and I must admit that I'm starting to agree with you.

The biggest problem I see in his game is that he's kind of a wuss. He plays very carefully. He'd rather leave the puck or make a rash, half assed clearance attempt rather than take a hit to make a good play.

For an NHL defenseman with very good size it's not good. Not only does Schultz not initiate physical contact, he won't even take it. Backstrom, Semin and even the little Fleischmann are far more brave when it comes to that aspect. Backstrom has a amazing knack to spin off hits while I've seen Flash take some real shots to make a play. Schultz just bails or half bails a lot of the time.

Posted by: ranndino | February 16, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Your last paragraph speaks volumes. The pieces are falling together nicely for what will hopefully be a real nice run over the next several years.

I am in NO WAY conceeding anything this year, as God knows that any goalie can get hot at any time (I am hoping for that this post season). I think that this team will compete for Lord Stanley's cup for many years to come.

Uncle Ted has EARNED this...

Posted by: TimDz | February 16, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Why I agree with you on some of your points on Theo (particularly how he can lose the net), not sure a total of 3 NHL game experience from our two up and coming stars are the absolute answer. Can they help down the strech? Yes, I think they can. By no means am I a Theo fan but believe he has played outstanding since 1 Jan. Keep him fresh and keep the young guys going with some games and we may be good to go.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 16, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

While instead of why (on previous post)...grammar not my strong suit obviously

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 16, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

juicy little Therrien quote after his last game with the Pens;

''This team plays with no emotion. They don't care about winning. The only thing they care about is, `I want to get treated pretty well. We want optional practices.' Win or lose, you think they care? The only thing they care is the way they get treated. They go to the Arena Bar & Grill, order a couple of beers, try to have fun, play some poker until 4, 5 o'clock in the morning, show up tired to practice. You have some guys in here, it's a shame, a shame, the way they are performing. It's unprofessional.''

Posted by: richmondphil | February 16, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

also, there is no way in hell habs got the "upside" of that Schneider trade.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 16, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | February 16, 2009 8:03 PM

wait till the playoffs before you start crowning this team unbeatable, the way you talk sometimes i wonder why the nhl even has playoffs. Just mail the trophy to one of the top 4 regular season teams and be done with it. The Caps are a very good regular season team that has some significant concerns that could derail them in the playoffs. Hopefully the team's brass shows more wherewithall and doesn't think this team is "unbeatable"

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 16, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Fired Therrien, so he can now disgorge the reasons why the Pens suck.

#1 reason IMHO is that Cindy wants some new toys and is young enough and willing enough to throw an entire season to get his way.

I am just making this up, but it could be true, I guess.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

this new Pens coach is no BB.

Remember the Water Boy? That other club then tried the Towel Boy? He got an owie.

This new Pens guy is Towel Boy.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

RE: Therrien quote...
Where did you see that? I ask because that sounds almost exactly word-for-word like a comment he made about the boys in Wilkes-Barre when he was coaching there a couple years ago.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 16, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

that's probably the most asinine comment I have ever read regarding hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

a pens fans posted it on a forum I read. I would assume its true, given that a pens fans posted it?

Posted by: richmondphil | February 16, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about the bars in Pittsburgh, but I do know that there's an Arena Bar & Grill in Wilkes-Barre that's popular with the hockey crowd.

I'm not ragging on you, phil. You're just passing along something you read. But I wouldn't take it too seriously because it sounds like too much of a coincidence that he would say that in WBS and in P-burgh.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 16, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The nickname for the new Pens coach is 'smith' because they are having a hard time agreeing how to pronounce 'Blysma'.

Sort of like how Locker says BB sometimes "booce brudrow". BB is fine.

I don't mean to dis him so soon, he is a bonified NHL'er and hard nose dude, but now that he is a BORG....

Posted by: WhyGo | February 16, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

One (out of many) problem I still have with him is that he loses the puck almost every single time he's pressed on the boards. I feel that it will be a major weakness in the playoffs - I actually have the impression that teams are already targeting him.

Since many here consider him one of our best D-man, and BB keeps playing him like one, I admit the possibility I'm somehow biased against him.

Posted by: mauree | February 16, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Schultz is good. Comparing his (unfortunate lack of ) physical style to Backstrom or Flash is apples and pomegranates.
Honestly: why does BB use Schultz so much, in such situations? Is BB quite mad? How does 55 put up a +16 when he's such a clown? Do the bad guys cut him slack out of pity?
Lament his *style* all you want: he's doing something right, and pretty flippin often.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, I can't stretch to "Schultz is our best Dman". Again, I think there's a zen/clouseau thing to his game. He can relinquish the puck w/o giving up a play to go with it; or you get around him just to find yourself...nowhere.
I've switched from dismayed to fascinated. I hope there's another step...

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue

given his playing time, BB has to consider one of our best, second only to Green and Poti.

As I said I admit I am somehow trapped in some kind of stubborn disdain for the guy... every game, play after play, I can't point my finger at one play and say: "oh, he did that well...". If you see that happening, please tell me so (seriously).

I thought he did play better with Jurcina as partner.

Posted by: mauree | February 16, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of fascinated, the refs seem to be trying to hand the game tonight to Phoenix at home. A win wouldn't hurt attendance for the team getting league assistance.

On trades, I just keep reminding myself the better we get, the more painful will be whatever we have to give up. For instance the Wild say they'll give up some D but expect some O back.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 16, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

>>I can't point my finger at one play and say: "oh, he did that well...".
Neither can I! Hence the fascination. Schultz stinks at everything except staying in position, and screwing up what the bad guys are trying to do. Watch how hard they work -almost- burning him, over and over, while Green's free to roam or Jurcina can step out for a bash...

Posted by: redlineblue | February 16, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

*********************

Public Svc Msg

NHL Ceter Ice is free right now

(I finally read the annoying crawl across the bottom of my somewhat large tv screen)

************************

Posted by: austinsteve | February 16, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

free you say?

I dont think I would break up the Flash, Fed, Fehr line at all. Somethings starting to take off there, and that would be awesome. But I wouldnt sit Gordon, because he's pretty good on faceoffs and is one of the top two penalty killers. He plays smart defensively. But who sits? Ah, well, based on play alone, Nylander.

Posted by: oo7 | February 17, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

free preview, probably for a few days more.

Ovie could sit a well-chosen game or two down the stretch here, the way he treats his body. Show the team they can win no matter who steps on the ice if they play smart. You never know who may go down in the playoffs, give BB something to yell about if slacking ensues.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 17, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Did you know that the CAPS play 4 straight home games "before" kicking off the 21-game salute. While those teams present a good challenge they are at home and our crowd is the 7th man. It will be a good tune up for us.

Puck the Penguins Update: Lost one precious point to the lowly Islanders. See what I mean by the road games -- me me spot on dudes.

The other thing I'm sure you missed but the Wind is here to make sure you don't is that the Penguins (who we love to hate) play 8 out of the next 11 games on the road. Man if there ever is a time for them to melt away on the thin ice of new day let's consider this the beginning of the end of their season. And to boot they have to play our CAPS twice in the Phone Booth with the ZOO present.

And always thanks for your continued support.

Rock n Roll

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 17, 2009 5:56 AM | Report abuse

I could tell that Center Ice is free right now, just because they kept playing that godawful commercial about that idiot Pens fan in California ALL. NIGHT. LONG. and it made me want to put things through my television.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 17, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

@windjammer

You dont think the Penguins fans will still have 8k fans at the booth on Sunday?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 17, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey SA where did you pull that number out of? No need to respond it would be too graphic. If I were a betting man (heehee) I would say that there will be fewer Pens fans at the Phone Booth in March.

Looking forward to some spirited conversation between rival fans on Sunday. Won't be a kid friendly environment I imagine.

Go get em' Brasher.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 17, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: I think they will. I'm looking forward to it. We shouted down the Flyers fans. We shouted down the Wings fans. Now it's the black and gold's turn to be abused.

Don't look at it as them invading the building. Look at it as an opportunity to abuse their eardrums and their team equally, to shout them down, and to have a good time. It'll be fun.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 17, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure there will be that many Pens fans here on Sunday. I remember a few years ago when they weren't very good (nor were we) there were not a lot of those obnoxious Pens fans in attendance and those who were there were very quiet. Unlike last year when they were rude, loud, obnoxious and numerous - of course they were en route to winning the East and we were in the middle of our late surge.

Let's hope they look at the team this week and decide to sell their tickets...those sales might be an economic stimulus to Pittsburgh!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 17, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

@ cstanton1

Way to completely misinterpret what I said and structure your whole reply around one word taken out of context. I would expect nothing less from you.

I care less about what you say than I do about Vietnamese pop music.

It seems that your only contributions on this blog are writing stupid replies to every post I make, regardless of what it's about or trashing our best defenseman Mike Green every time he makes a mistake. As I've pointed out numerous times you're nowhere to be seen when the whole hockey community is drooling over his play, as during the latest streak.

Also, I can't remember one post you made that had anything positive to say about the Caps. I'm starting to think that you're some Pens troll. Either that or you're just a miserable d-bag.

Posted by: ranndino | February 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse