Morning Reading List

a239f1a3-a8d7-4d17-a042-a6111d775935.jpg
Pablo Martinez Monsivais--The Associated Press

*The Capitals sealed their first series victory over Pittsburgh since the 2002-2003 season with yesterday's 5-2 win in front of a capacity Verizon Center crowd, a victory that just might show how much things can change between two rivals in just a single year.

*Mike Wise was in attendance and offers his own unique perspective on the rivalry between Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.

*Here are some stories from the Penguins' perspective over at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and Pittsburgh Tribune Review. And don't forget the column and recap from the Washington Times.

*Dan Steinberg and the D.C. Sports Bog are back from Florida in time to check out the goings on -- from fans sharing anti-Crosby sentiments in a myriad of ways to Pierre McGuire's take on the atmosphere at Verizon -- at yesterday's Caps/Penguins game.

*Greg Wyshynski also shares his take on the latest installment of the Capitals-Penguins rivalry.

*Here are the highlights from yesterday's game.

*And on to some stories you may have missed over the weekend...The New York Times became the latest to take note of the swell of fan support for the Capitals and also had a note on Mike Green.

*While there are some who believe Alex Ovechkin deserves the NHL's version of an Oscar, there is at least one person who thinks Ovechkin should be stopped from his goal-scoring heroics, for the sake of defensemen and goaltenders everywhere.

*NHL.com's Southeast Division notebook includes an item on David Steckel.

In the system:
*It wasn't a pretty game for the Hershey Bears on Saturday night, but Keith Aucoin salvaged two points with a goal as time expired in overtime against Philadelphia for a 5-4 win.

*The win came after the Bears fell 3-2 to Rochester on Friday night.

*AHL.com caught up with defenseman Karl Alzner about how his rookie season has treated him in both Hershey and Washington.

*To help you get through your Monday, here's a video compilation of Ovechkin's more memorable goals.

By Katie Carrera  |  February 23, 2009; 4:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin vs. Crosby: It's Back!
Next: Monday Practice Update

Comments

Loved that goal montage, but I think in 10 years NHL.com is going to be selling a DVD box set of his highlights.

Posted by: trunkenmath | February 23, 2009 5:23 AM | Report abuse

Second!

And thanks for such an early post for a wonderful start to the day!

Posted by: fehrrocks | February 23, 2009 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Katie,
What gives? 3 reading lists on the bounce at 4:30am. Are you having trouble sleeping? Are the Post making you work ungodly hours?

Thanks for some great links and the goal compliation, most welcome on a Monday morning. Keep up the good work but try to sleep too!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik,this is my first stop in hte am. And look forward to your segments on WPL. Feeling pretty good after spending the afternoon at the game. Except for the strained left hand from a high five,executed on the other end with a near maniacal fervor. It's just incredible at VC these days.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 23, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

what a great game last night. i laughed so hard at Ovie's comments and Crosby's as well. Ovie is getting tired of #87 and #87 is throwing a hissy fit over the Ovie love. go grab your bottle and take a nap with papa Mario, you whiney drama queen.

thanks for the "ovechkin must be stopped" article I gave been looking for that since I first saw it, never read it and really wanted to, so thanks.

here's to catching up to the Bruins and being #1 in the east, and maybe even #1 in the NHL

Posted by: capsfan387 | February 23, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

How hard is it for people to read the name of the person providing the update and give that individual credit.

If I had a pound for everytime someone thanked Tarik on a Katie update, well I'd probably have about a tenner!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Much as I want us to track Boston down for 1st place, if we actually finished 1st the expectation levels would go through the roof.

Not that we are going to sneak under everyone's radar anymore but I think the extra pressure to perform in the post-season after finishing 1st is maybe something we wouldn't need.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

Well I mean its easy for people to see Tarik's big smiling face and name right next to the title of the article. It took me awhile before I eventually noticed that Tarik was sometimes Katie

Posted by: trunkenmath | February 23, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Katie is Tarik's alter ego that comes out in the wee hours of the morning to give UKDave Caps news.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

@Boo

as much as I love soccer (not very much now actually, I'm a hockey convert lol), I can't believe Mr. Boo ditched a Pens @ Caps game to watch soccer... ahi ahi ahi!

Need to give Katie more credits - not only for the morning reading lists and the after-game summaries, but for the good insights she has of the Caps and hockey in general.

I'd say we need both pics up there, Katie's and Tariks.

PS: it would have been great if the movie "Dance with Bashir" won something yesterday :p

Posted by: mauree | February 23, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
I know - can you believe it?!? He is not going on Tue OR 3/8, either!! Silly, silly "football" fan.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

BTW, on NHLOTF they said they knew what was wrong with the Pens in DC yesterday - there were too many Alexes! HA! Ovi gotta lotta love and Crosby was called out for jawin'. My have times have changed.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is Backstrom really starting to hit people?

Posted by: NFeKPo | February 23, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I think the media hoopla around the Ovi/Crosby thing is funnier than the rivalry itself. There isn't enough to talk about with the trade deadline, I guess, and I find this wrangle mildly entertaining.

I have to admit that I can see where the theatrics would get annoying after a while, but for now, they make me smile because it's obvious he lives for the applause as much as the scoring. Applause is addictive, it really is. He's finally seeing what DC's fans can do when they're all fired up, and he loves it. I just hope he doesn't take it too far.

But Crosby does need to shut up :)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom got Malkin off his feet yesterday on a clean hit.

The thing I loved about yesterday, was that our stars shined, and Crosby and Malkin did not.

All those PP's for Pitt, and nothing.

Tuesday is HUGE! Flyers have to feel they can catch, and this game will let them know they wont.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

@NFekPo: It's not you. He is, and he's doing it well. He's starting to play with some grit and physicality on top of the skill - I think Ovechkin is rubbing off on his game, with fantastic results.

Someone else hit people yesterday and it made my jaw hit the floor - Schultz. Yes, he was credited with four hits, and I saw at least one that was solid, clean, finished, and did its job, which was to take a Penguin off the puck.

I want to see that type of game that everyone brought, only with fewer penalties, against Philly Tuesday.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

How many mistakes can you find in the piece by the Pittsburgh Tribune?

Posted by: mcsellis | February 23, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

What was the game that Mr B was watching? He can't have been watching anything live as the only game that was on at the same time as the Caps game was Newcastle/Everton and that would have only had about 10 minutes left by the time the puck dropped at the VC. My guess is he had a delayed showing of the Liverpool/Man City game on.

Section117,
7 points eh? Is it over? I don't think so just yet.

trunkenmath,
I agree, Katie's picture should be up there but its just that I think it's alittle unfair when she posts at 4:30 in the morning and someone goes "Thanks Tarik!"

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Obviously the question about which game Mr Boo was watching goes to Boo!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Section117,
7 points eh? Is it over? I don't think so just yet.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 8:53 AM

You sir, have reminded me that I need to check my email more often.

Posted by: Section117 | February 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey Capsfans, Don't get too cocky about catching Boston with how hot the NJD are. The Caps have a great oppurtunity to b-slap the Flyers to make a statement about the playoffs -- that they can beat the tough, grind it out, and cheap-shot teams. They'll need to cut down on the minors and clear out that crease! This is a game for Erskine to prove he merits that extension. It's also a game for the Sarge and Juice to show that they can beat on the Flyers not just the choirboys from Pissburgh.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
I have no idea. His weekend ritual is to watch the football that he has recorded throughout the week (not just what is live). I found out on Saturday night that my friend was not going to be able to go on Sunday, so he actually had another chance to go to that game, but he passed. He is not going on Tuesday because you know who wants to go. Besides, he does not like going to Flyers games and usually does not like to go to more than a game a week (he is going on Thursday).

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

S117,
'Bout time!

Boo,
Just make sure you keep your guest in check on Tuesday night.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS: Agreed. I want to see a statement game - and preferably one that comes with free wings. If Sarge and Juice (and Backstrom, too, really) lay out Philly like they laid it onto Pittsburgh, this game got a lot more interesting.

I'd also say it's a game for Brash to lay down the law. None of the Pens wanted to go with Brash - I think he tried. Philly'll be a lot more willing.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

For the game on 8th March, instead of signs for Crosby, how about everyone takes baby monitors to the Pens baby. You know, the ones you put in a baby's room to hear if it crys!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Baby monitors = classic

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Dan Daly has a good point in his article: the door is open for the #2 seed in the east. In other words, if the Caps falter (ala Avs game), they may start to slip (cf. NYR, Sens, Pens, and Bruins [kinda]). If they keep up the pressure, they can open the door for themselves for the #1 seed.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS: I see a couple of wrangles in the Eastern Conference; the standings don't look all that different from the Western Conference, really when you think about it. The main difference is that there's two wrangles in the East in the standings, one for home-ice advantage and one for a playoff spot. Unless disaster happens (knock on wood) the Caps will probably take the Southeast. The Atlantic is still open, although the Flyers are going to have to kick butt and take names and have an angel on their shoulder to catch the Devils. I don't see the Northeast teams catching the Bruins, although I think they left their game in their other pants lately and if they don't find it, it could suddenly be a race.

The way I see it, the teams we need to watch the most are Philly, Florida, NJ, and Boston. Carolina to some extent too.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 9:49 AM

For what it's worth, a Pittsburgh back-in isn't out of the question either.

Posted by: Section117 | February 23, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody else sort of hope Pittsburgh backs into the playoffs? I know I should be careful what I ask for -- but I really would like to meet (and beat) them in the playoffs. My dream scenario would be to beat Pitt and Phil on the way to the finals. Payback for so many past years.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | February 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

@Section117: True, although after yesterday, Pittsburgh honestly doesn't scare me this year.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I posted the video from NBC Intermission Report of McGuire/Millbury calling OV "the best NHL player by far"

Posted by: meagle | February 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@mikebrady1: I'm less concerned. Cup now. payback later.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I cant see the Bruins losing two games at home this week to Florida and Anaheim, but they are not easy games. Anaheim isnt playing well, but they are a tough physical team.

How nice would it be for a Saturday game with us being able to pull within 1?

Is there a big party anywhere for Saturday afternoon?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see the Caps as the #1 seed taking on the Pens in the playoffs. The Caps own the Pens now. It'd be a great start to a cup run.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: Hard Times Cafe in Fairfax is the official party - I think I'm going to go to that. Arrive early to get a seat. It'll be standing room only, probably.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@kitty

Thats for the update. I am more insude the beltway. Maybe I'll hit Bugsy's in Old Town. You know they will have it going on.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd just like people to have to come up with a more original insult for our team then, "Hey, why haven't you won the Cup yet?" or something to that effect. It bothers me when heckles aren't witty and creative.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

In an unscientific poll (like the all-star voting), nearly 75% of the people who read the NHL's game-day post think OV is the better player than SidBaby hahahaha

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

In a recent ESPN Players poll, Cindy was singled out as the biggest cry-baby in the league...I think he proved that yesterday!

What a whiner! I love beating those girls!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 23, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping the Pens would back into 8th, get clobbered by the B's first-round, and doom them to a mediocre draft pick. guess that's just me though. It would be sweet to finally get something started in the Southeast with a matchup against Florida or something.

Posted by: honed | February 23, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

although i dont know how well they match up against florida but you know what im saying...

Posted by: honed | February 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@ kittyp -
I must agree, I was impressed with Schultz, for the first time EVER. Maybe he decided to stop working on his circles and figure skating abilities, or maybe he was just trying to impress some of the girls that were at hockey n heels the day before. either way, I finally give kudos to him, and if he keeps it up, I'll take him off my "must trade" list. As of right now, he's been the only one on my list all season.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 23, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Searching for a bit of knowledge. If you trade for a player who is playing in the minors, who was waived when sent down (think Avery for instance), can you bring him to the NHL without passing through re-entry waivers when you trade for him? It would seem that if this cannot happen a player like Avery or Legace is untradeable, so there must be some means to trade players from the AHL to the NHL and not risk re-entry. Anyone enlighten me?

Posted by: majiksea | February 23, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

No Avery -- lockerroom poison!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

In their last regular season game the Pens need just a point to qualify for the playoffs. Last minute and they are tied 4-4. Then Crosby scores an own goal, they lose in regulation and are denied the single point they need to make the playoffs.

As Crosby scores past his own goalie, the Pens opponents can be heard laughing "Did he just put it in his own net?"

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

JMU,
It may not be an original insult but unfortunately it happens to be true. We'll always have that thrown at us unless we win a Cup.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 23, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Gill saying "if you don't like [celebr8in], the thing to do is stop him from scoring" sound a lot to me like a veteran D telling his "captain" to shut up and play.

Must sell Two tickets for 3/8, 109 T. I'd like some help developing a Caps Fan test so that no Pens fan ends up in my seats. But then, why would a Pens fan want to go to Pens vs. Caps? (Masochism--more common than you'd think...)

Posted by: redlineblue | February 23, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Jim, I don't want either player! Just wondering if the Rags decide they must have Avery or the Sabres decide they need Legace can they trade for them and bring them directly to the team? I assume that the Stars are leaving Avery in the AHL because they think there is a chance the Rags will get desperate and make that trade and get them out of salary cap hell.

Posted by: majiksea | February 23, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

DaveUK, Unfortunately it is true, but in the interest of our national intelligence level, I think other teams fans need to step it up a notch.
Take Pittsburgh for example. Crosby is an obvious target, but then you could go with Fleury's butt losing the Cup for them, the third jerseys are beyond easy, and the vacate of pretty much their entire line up to Detroit & Tampa. Some more original ones I've heard: "Your city's so awful, [insert player here] went to Loser Bay to get away from it!" "The economy was already tanking and Hossa still decided he'd rather play in Detroit!" "I'm looking for a nice [handbag, skirt, whatever] to go with my third jersey, so could you tell me, is that baby blue, powder blue, or sissy blue?" "Is Fleury's @$$ a Red Wing?"
It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to be creative with it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@honed: A Florida rivalry? That'd be interesting and fun. I think Pitt and especially Philly will always be a dirtier and more bitter rivalry, though, because the teams are geographically so close and there's a long history between the two of them.

@redlineblue: Gill said that? AWESOME. That definitely does sound like him telling Crosby to shut his mouth and play.

@abuddy2004: I liked him in the Montreal game as well. I'd see a good defensive play, look up and it's Schultz. Must have been three or four times that happened. He's not flashy, and I think that him getting beat is a product of inexperience, but he's getting better and better. Plus he's starting to hit when he needs to (but doesn't do it indiscriminately). I think he doesn't get enough credit.

I really, really want Kozlov back. Nylander as the right wing on the Ovi/backstrom line does. not. work.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Pierre McGuire used to work for the Pens organization and a writer for the Pitt. Gazette.

His issues with our players excessive talk to the players on the Pens bench are to be expected.

Loser.

Posted by: blanknerc | February 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

kitty, was anyone on the right wing with 8/19 yesterday? I was at the game and didn't notice that, but maybe there was. "Nylander", you say? Hmmmm.

Schultz is good. Review Mid-2nd period 3on2 for Pens: 55 forces the puck slow and outside, holding position until his wingspan eats the only, lame pass left to try. The puck never made it past the top of the circle before Schultz made a safe, simple clearing pass. Did I mention he's 11 years old and gets paid in MCI stock?

Posted by: redlineblue | February 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

On the Nylander front, did he even get a shot away on his breakaway. I was surprised that he did not turn off from the play and throw a pass to the high, high slot. I nearly jumped out of my chair with that breakaway and said to myself, never mind, it's Nyles

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Renney just got fired

Posted by: 104_CapsFan | February 23, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Renney fired in NYC -- no suprise there. The Rangers annual meltdown starts a little early this year

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

renney fired by rangers.....

Posted by: hockeypope | February 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

PENS GOT $3RV3D! GWA HA HAAAAA!

First seed would be nice, but I wouldn't want it unless the Pens were OUT of the post-season. Caps should stay focused, fine tune, and play all 60 minutes of every remaining game. The rest will take care of itself.

FEAR THE WEAGLE!
LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 23, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Seems fitting that the Oscars were held on the same day in which Crosby was on natinal TV. He's one of the greatest actors ever.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 23, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: goaway41 | February 23, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Saw this on a Pittsburgh Blog :

The Penguins Suck And The Capitals Rule

Dude lost a bet.

Posted by: PVanderVossen | February 23, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Instead of baby monitors, how about pacifiers...

Posted by: benz9 | February 23, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse