Morning Reading List

10e51672-8cc8-4b00-aa81-14762056e6bf.jpg
Haraz N. Ghanbari--The Associated Press

*There's always been a lot of attention on the Capitals young stars, but while Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green have captured interest across the NHL, Nicklas Backstrom is quietly on pace to record the third-highest single-season assist total in franchise history. The second year center is also becoming more well rounded, and Sergei Fedorov offered his analysis on Backstrom's development. (Link is fixed.)

*Colleague Corey Masisak features Staffan Kronwall's effort to make an impression with the Capitals after being picked up off the waiver wire.

*Bruce Boudreau did say at yesterday's practice that the focus on the talk at Sunday's game was overblown. Well here's Sidney Crosby's rebuttal to comments from the Capitals after the game. (Pittsburgh Tribune Review) And also a column on why the Caps-Penguins rivalry should thrive.

*The D.C. Sports Bog is making up for lost time in Florida with posts that include Mike Milbury professing his love for Ovechkin. Caps fans professing their, er, uncensored opinion of all things Penguins and Sidney Crosby related.

Ovechkin and a few of his teammates joined the Redskins Chris Cooley at the recent MMA show. And also, Dan Steinberg caught up with D.B. Sweeney of Cutting Edge fame on Sunday (Brief excerpt: "If Gretzky was velvet, Ovechkin is electricity.").

*The Red Line Monday videos are up and as usual you can find them all over on Caps 365, but here's Professor Matt Bradley with "reaction."

*USA Today includes Tomas Fleischmann in a list of many players who have found success in the right atmosphere with the right team.

*Missed these notes yesterday but thanks to the Caps' Nate Ewell for the heads up on Kevin Paul Dupont's weekly notebook, which mentions Green and does some number-crunching on Ovechkin at the end and Jim Matheson also on Ovechkin, see Eastern Conference "Good Alex."

*Mike Wise did one of his regular "Behind the Column" videos to accompany yesterday's column, which if you missed it can be found here.

Flyers Cliff notes:
*Philadelphia has won three of its past four games but fell 5-4 to Pittsburgh on Saturday in its most recent game. A loss that left both goaltender Marty Biron and captain Mike Richards ready to take the blame.

*In case you don't watch any NHL highlights on a regular basis, the Flyers have made quite a habit out of scoring shorthanded goals this season. They lead the league with 16, Richards, who has scored shorties in each of the past three games, is first among all players with 7 while Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne are tied for second with four each.

*It was rumored that Daniel Briere could try to come back after missing 33 games with a groin injury against the Caps tonight, but it appears his return has been pushed back to Friday.

*The Flyers have been listed among the teams interested in acquiring Florida defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, but the salary cap may make it difficult at best for Philadelphia to pursue him or make any headline-grabbing moves before the trade deadline.

By Katie Carrera  |  February 24, 2009; 4:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Renney out, Torts in?
Next: Theodore in, Kronwall and Kozlov out

Comments

hell yeah the MRL! *makes the sign of the horns*

Wonder where Bouwmeester will go - or if he'll be moved at all.

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 5:08 AM | Report abuse

Buongiorno Mauree, G'morning Katie,

Is Chris Cooley (and his brother) trying to get a job with the Caps. Talk about hangers-on :)

Does anyone know what the record is for most consecutive games with a shorthanded goal? 3 in a row for Richards must be close. Lets hope the streak ends tonight.

Mauree,
Is the Utd vs Inter game tonight making any noise in Italy?

JMU,
Sorry this is late, but re: insults. Yeah, maybe people could come up with something more original than "How many Cups have you won?" but you can't really compare that to insults about the colour of a teams third jersey. I know which cuts the deepest and when it comes to insults, that's generally the point. We need to win one to stop that.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Katie,

It is great to wake up and have the morning reading list already up so that even Dave in the UK can read it in the am! (and I can read it before I head in to work.)

Though the link to your fine piece about Nicklas is broken. I am glad that I went to the Caps page in the Post site.

Take care and thanks for the great work!

Posted by: Landshark | February 24, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

of course - many are saying that the winner of this match will also win the Champions league.

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

by the way what do you think about the interesting proposal in soccer? The "orange" card, which is a temp suspension similar to hockey?

Sounds very interesting to me. Also, more referees on the field could do a lot of good to soccer.

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse

From posts before: I'm just as shocked as everyone else is that we are #1 on EPSN's power rankings. I can't stop staring at it! It looks so weird to see us above the Sharks and the Bruins, AND the wings. So cool, I like.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 24, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Mauree,
Not heard anything about an orange card. I think a "sin bin" type arrange would work in football. In fact there are lots of little innovations from other sports, including hockey, that would improve the game.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
Would you really like a penalty box in football? I will have to ask Mr. Boo what he thinks about that ... I am guessing he will protest.

From the previous ...

stevo:
Yup, it's me! Sorry for the confusion. I have a cool Suts story, too, but it's too long (and boring for most :-)) to post here. Suffice it to say, he's a nice guy.

ralCapsFan:
Thanks for the game update! :-)

RE: the Caps being in the #1 ESPN spot, it is pretty cool to see, but I am trying not to get used to it ... ESPN will probably knock them down next week. :-/

Big game tonight!!! After Sunday's exciting game I cannot wait for tonight. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

A lot of teams would and should be interested in Bouwmeester. But it looks like the Panthers are going to make the playoffs and their success has a lot to do with Bouwmeester. So, my question is why would they move him?

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | February 24, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

BetterOffWithFederov:
If they don't move him now, he may move on his own this summer so they would probably prefer to get something for him while they can (even if it is just in the form of draft picks ... kinda like Montreal did with Huet last season). If they were real contenders it might be different, but there is no way they are getting the Cup this season.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"the Caps being in the #1 ESPN spot,"

What's a ESPN?

Posted by: Section117 | February 24, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

117:
Is that a joke or a question? :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree, ESPN's rankings are the biggest joke around....They still have Florida at 16 and they deserve higher than that the way they have played lately.

No matter, let's crush the Flyers tonight!

Posted by: PhilR | February 24, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Is that a joke or a question? :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 8:12 AM

Well, the other one I had ("I wonder if the Geico caveman thinks the Caps are being given TOO MUCH Post coverage") might have been too obscure.

Posted by: Section117 | February 24, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

This is a bit off topic, but in the spirit of crazy fantasy moves, here goes:

Instead of trading for Pronger, the Caps should see if the Yotes would trade Ed Jovonovski. Such a trade would most likely cost too much, but wow would Jovonovski help out the Caps.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 24, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

lol Boo awesome video :D

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

117:
LOL!! :-) Got it ... just checkin'!

BTW, that Sid video was included in the Caps post on the Pens blog after Sunday's game (I think it was linked to in Katie's morning morning reading list yesterday). The entire post is pretty entertaining.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Just read Crosby comments in the Tribune Review. He is accusing OV of being a cheap shot head-hunter. What an immature punk! He suckerpunches a guy in the faceoff circle, waits for others to start fights and then does dirty cup checks, runs his whiny baby mouth all game long (see the survey of players for proof). He lives in a fantasy land like Mario -- no wonder they live together (read creepy for an adult who earns millions a year)

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 24, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Nicky is quickly becoming my favorite player to watch. He's amazing, he is always making the right decision and never loses the puck. He looks incredibly calm when pressured and never seems to make mistakes with the puck. He is a huge part of our success.

Posted by: TheDeeDot | February 24, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

"I think I only talked to (Ovechkin) when he ran me a couple of times, so that's the only talking I did and he talked back to me," Crosby said. "I guess if I do it, he does too.

anyone else incredibly amused by this? if you watched the game, you could tell he was running his mouth the ENTIRE game, at just about everyone, not just ovechkin. what a punk, haha.

Posted by: kellobellow | February 24, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Riiight, Ovechkin was headhunting Snivelly. For one thing, it's two minutes for -looking at Crosby sideways-. If Ovechkin had run him, especially the way Sunday was called, you'd see it in the box score and/or the hospital chart.
I think Ovechkin was getting heedless about Malkin until the break. I also think it's hilarious that "some other Pens players" say 8 is headhunting. If you had a less whiny source than Snivelly Crysby making that charge, why wouldnt you name it?
Fifty Two Percent.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 24, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Whee. Late to the party this morning.

Big big big game tonight. Looking for us to come out flying, tight, polished, and disciplined, with sticks down and heads up. Power play will have to be doubly precise - no room for mistakes with a team that leads the league in SHG.

Also looking for Brash to lay down the law early on - Riley Cote should be more willing than the Pens. This will be a physical, dirty, and tough game, and I'm looking for Sarge, Juice, Fehrsie, and Nicky especially, but really everyone and anyone, to crash the net, get dirty goals, and be willing to flatten the orange and black at need. Preferably legally. We have to match their physical game if we want to win.

Just as glad we won't see the Magical Spearing Midget tonight.

Good links as always, Katie, and thank you, although the Backstrom link is broken and that makes kitty sad.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 24, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Where -is- the spearing midget? Is he hiding Philly's cap issues on LTIR until the playoffs? Or has he risen to his rightful station, unemployed in Greenland?
Tough sledding tonight for sure.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 24, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Trying a new style out here, see if this works for tonight:

"We can't take these guys lightly. Sure there are only 6 of them and they are all aged under 12 and have never skated before in their lives having grown up in sub-Saharan Africa, but that doesn’t mean this is going to be an easy game. Ok so they don't know the rules and have only just arrived in the country 8 minutes ago after rowing the Atlantic with teaspoons for oars but that isn’t enough to guarantee victory. So what if they have an irrational fear of ice and even the very thought of being close to it makes them curl into balls and cry, if we don't bring it for a full 60, brass balls and all, these guys will be waiting to take the points from us"

Any good?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Ok Caps fans - it's fedOrov not fedErov.

Don't want those Pen fanz to be nitpicking us ppl from supposedly the most educated MSA in the country.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Dave,

in answer to your "Buongiorno", I forgot to reply: "why yes, top o' the morning to you too Mr Dave, lad"... (how's that? Did I overdo it? :p )

to answer your previous post:

If they made it through the Atlantic with teaspoons for oars, we'd better be afraid of them and bring our "A" game! Danger! :p - (what? You really think that would hose off my doomily doom attitude? :p )

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
Good points ... and you did not even include the fact that they had our number last year, not to mention that fact that we are coming off of a big win, so surely the Caps will be to full of themselves to pull off another W. Yup, it's gonna be a long night.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 24, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Mauree,
Top o' the morning is more an Irish saying that English, but the rest was fine!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Dupont's Weekly notebook link is broken, goes to the MMA link.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 24, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Pitt headline: "Crosby to Ovechkin: Let's get physical"

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Posted by: MTB7 | February 24, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The thing you used in the olden days to hold cannon balls in place (with round indentions to set the bottom row of cannon balls in, and stack the rest on top) and keep them from rolling around is called a "brass monkey". When it got really cold, the brass monkey would shrink a bit (heehee) and the balls might pop out of the indentations and roll around. Not a good thing, I think.

Thus the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey".

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Rocc00, give it up re: Sergei Fedorov. BettorofffwithPhederoff is merely the most glaring of many repeat offenders.
No big deal. It's only the man's Name, right? I mean, if he'd ever accomplished anything or if his name was simple to get right, that'd be one thing....

Posted by: redlineblue | February 24, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I got nuthin for the teaspoon oars...

UK

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

DaveUK

You make a good argument. Things are definately worse than I originally thought. I would like to see them play a full 65 minutes, and I would call Alzner back up.

But that's just me

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@Dave: Ha. :)

@MTB7P: But, wouldn't Mario be jealous?

@mauree: I've decided that what I've been calling doom is actually slightly cynical realism, and that sort of thing has a better home at Japers' Rink. I come here for my sunshine and purple unicorns, and go there when I want good sober facts and analysis, warts and all.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 24, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Lee,
Italics and bold - instant ban!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

plus he nedd spelchek

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

And fines. I should have marked my words

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Nicky is becoming the best center in the league! I love the way the kid is playing...passing, scoring, hitting people, penalty kill, power play, back-checking...what more could you ask for? He has the ability to control the speed of the game, and his puck control and body position is incredible for a second year guy. I hope we can sign him for many years to come!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 24, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@Lee

you forgot SO time too. I'd say 65 minutes, 8 seconds.

But actually, maybe 54-55 minutes are enough at full throttle, than 5 mins of madness so they score 3 and make it a 2 goals game.

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo, are you saying I Kant spele?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

no sir, I am only saying that I wish this SITE had a spell check.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

mauree, aren't you in Italy now?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Nicky needs to get that hiar fixed. He is like Samson, his hiar is his strenth.

Contract next year will have a 'no cut clause'.

Read it here first.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

dag nabbin spell thingy!!!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know a girl named Delilah?

Keep her AWAY from our Nicky!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I do NOT want to see Bouwmeester or Pronger in a Philly sweater...something must be done!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@Lee

yes, why? Does my location prevent use/understanding of sarcasm? :p

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Lyle,
Re Nicky and "what more could you ask for?"

Faceoffs. Nicky is ranked 76 in the league with a 45.7% for total faceoffs. Gordo is 8th in the league with 56.9 and Stecks is 9th with 56.3

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Gotta just smile and shake my head at Sidney's comments. Drivel like that is what fuels those delusional, sycophantic idiots in western PA. Mario did it his whole career. Like landlord, like tenant.

Posted by: Zornado | February 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

so hire Gordo and Stecks to coach Nicky in the finer points?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget FerdErov. he's another good one and so is Nyls.

Learn Nicky....

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

dag nabbin spell thingy!!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

When I was at the game in FL, someone had a We Love Federov sign, and it seriously made me cringe every time I looked at it. I think I've seen the same one before at Verizon, too.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Mauree,

why nothing at all. I just remembered you were overseas, and yet you still take the time to visit with us. I do expect some Italian sarcasm though, whatever that is.

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I think it's called "sarcasmo", right?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

fedor fedorov > sergei.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

well I'm here to work (believe it or not).
And "work" is forever tied with "hockey talks" whatever the location is lol

Downside is, I'll probably miss the game since I have to wake up early tomorrow - can't pull an all nighter like back in the days...

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

going with "Feds" from now on. not "The Feds", just "Feds".

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

But it's the flyers!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Have Dale Hunter come in and school Backs on faceoffs. He was as crafty as they come in the circle.

Posted by: geauxcaps | February 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

when fedor didnt make the NJ training camp, we shouldve picked him up.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Nicky better at faceoffs last year?

Doing something different now or are players watching his film and learning how to beat him?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

LG, must use 'hated' or 'dirty' or 'GD' in front of 'flyers' from now on.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Tell you what, though, faceoff wins are one thing, but lets run the numbers on GOALS FROM FACEOFF WINS. As in right to OV, bet he is a top one in the league at that. We've all seen him do it lot's of times.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

smack talking is part of sports, like it orbit. I never did, I just told them I was going to take it out on their goalie. After I scored, they gave it a rest. Crosby is entitled. Nothing wrong with trying to disrupt someones game or stick up for a teammate. The problem is, he thinks ovie is gunning for him. that's delusional. of course ovechkin is gunning for him, every hitter in the league is gunning for him. if your on the ice with ovechkin, and you even look like your thinking of playing the puck, he's going to ready himself to deliver a hit. it's beautiful. it's what he's meant to be doing. Iginla does it too. Crosby is mad because he doesn't like the premeditation and the"great one II" moniker has gone to his head. To implypvechkin plays dirty, when you have Ruutu on your team and after having jumped guys and punched them in the nuts (and then denying it) shows how holy Sid thinks he is. Again, the Nhl brass is ruining this kid.
as for ovechkins celebrations, who cares? After 4 years he finally has a packed house of excited fans. He isn't asking for the love for himself, he's asking for it forhis teammates and for Washington. he's that guy, the one you always hope for. Would I celebrate like that? no, but because I'd never do anything spectacular enough to warrant it.

where is mario? We havnt heard from him in two or three years.

Mauree, UK Dave, Here is my football offer: if you roll around on the floor in pain you must come off the field for 3 minutes. If scars was assessed on the play, that player comes off for the same time (yellow, obviously). If you roll around likke you've been shot then get up and play fine, a delay of game penalty is assessed, also 3 minutes. That should take care of that, because no coach is going to want to be down a man if itcould cost them the lead or the game. the fake injuries are the worst, most embarrasing part of football. What say you?

Posted by: oo7 | February 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Mauree,

But it is the GDHATEDDIRTY flyers!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Pronger to Philthy is what really scares me. Having him on their blue line would make them just absolutely murder to play against.

Posted by: Baildog | February 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

much much much bettah!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

their cap can't handle pronger.

i heard they are trying to dump briere, but who knows. he has a nylander situation going on + injuries.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 24, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Pronger would fit riiiiggghhht in, wouldn't he?

Dogs.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

oo7,
I agree that faking injury is the worst aspect of the game but it's a recent addition to the English game. Your idea is a good one but I'd guess hard to impliment in practice.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

THREAD BITE!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

>>Would I celebrate like that? no, but because I'd never do anything spectacular enough to warrant it.

Flippin classic. I love this bar.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@oo7

It's a nice idea, the problem would be in the implementation. I'm all for solving fake injuries, it really poisons the game.

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

@Daveuk

Yes, faceoffs...you are right there. I have seen some improvement over the past few weeks...he knows it's a weakness in his game and is working hard to improve. He will get better at that; once he does- he is easily a 100pt center!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that we've still got Sydney bashing to hold us over until the game tonight. The poor kid. I'm not even going to contemplate why he is still living under the watchful eye of Mario, if he's getting boat-loads of money to skate around the ice rink and punch people in the nads. I cringe just thinking of that. I'll take Semin's fighting abilities over Crosby punching someone repeatedly in the nads. Doesn't make me scared of Crosby...or should it? *covers family jewels*

Unleash the Fury at the Verizon, everyone!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Question to the Caps Fan Pantheon of Greatness: I'm looking at getting tickets for the second game of the playoffs for the Caps on Thursday, April 16th and one site is advertising that the date and time is subject to change. Since I'm flying in from LA the night before and plan on going home the following Tuesday (April 21st), do you guys foresee them changing the date to before or after I arrive? I'm gunning for some seats behind the Caps bench and don't want to miss out on the fun. Advice, o' wise ones?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 24, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

At this time next year, when a DET or PIT fan disdainfully asks me "how many cups has YOUR team won?", I hope--with all my heart--to be able to answer thusly:

"Just one--but its the only one that matters"

FEAR THE WEAGLE!
CAPS ALL THE WAY!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 24, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Re:Jovanovski (sp?): JovoCop would be good to have in a Caps sweater. Solid, mean, and (relatively) affordable...

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

On second thought, Pronger to PHI could be good...provided all of the following hold true:

1) We don't face Philthy in the first round.

2) Pronger gets his normal postseason suspension during the first round (cap hit means no Magical Spearing Midget, too!), and

3) Someone else in the East knocks them off.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 24, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

He's no Forsberg but he ain't far from Zetterberg.

Damn this team could be build for the next decade (pls lord not likethe webber/howard bullez).

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pirate1 | February 24, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not quite sure what Wil Wheaton wanted. Were we really hitting Crosby as much as he says we were? In any case, I understand fighting being inherent in hockey and I'm down to watch them do it face to face. But if Wil Wheaton (was he the Star Trek: Next Gen guy?) had his way, is he seriously saying that because Crosby couldn't hit any of our players in the crotch or had the opportunity to pull their sweaters over their heads so he could pummel them, suddenly the NHL just made hockey into a s*ckfest that no one wants to watch?

Sorry, give me Brash taking on a guy face to face, but leave the sucker punches that Crosby is known for out of it. That ain't even a fight. That's a hit and run.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 24, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse