Morning Reading List

get_image-1.jpg
Jonathan Newton--TWP

*We have a Hershey edition of the MRL today as both Tarik and I took trips to Hershey in recent weeks, to look at the phenomenon that is the Bears in central Pennsylvania.

There's a special bond between the folks in Hershey and their hockey team, as evidenced by their constant high ticket sales and the sold out building. But it can be found just as easily in the fans themselves. Some have followed the Bears for decades, they know their hockey, and they'll be the first to let the team know if they aren't meeting expectations. Don't forget to check out the photo gallery here.

*Here's the video from my first-ever visit to Hershey, which happened to be the dreaded pink jersey day. I met numerous Bears fans each with their own story of attachment to the team, including 77-year-old Joseph Offenbecher Jr. who has had season tickets for 52 years and also has NHL Center Ice to keep up with all the former Bears.

*On to your regularly scheduled programming...Mike Vogel recounts each of General Manager George McPhee's previous trade deadline days and the impact they had on the team as the Capitals ready for this season's 3 p.m. deadline on Wednesday.

*ESPN's Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside give an inside look at the life of NHL general managers during this hectic week as six GMs share their stories of deadline days past. Also, the last item in Burnside's "5 Things" explains how the NHL's front office processes each trade.

*The Hockey News rounds up all of the rumors on this trade deadline eve, while USA Today remembers the deals of 2008.

*The evaluations of Don Cherry keep rolling in as the National Post's Bruce Arthur explains why he's tired of the 75-year-old's act, comparing Cherry to "...the George W. Bush of hockey: Ignorant, ideological, dismissive of the facts, governed by his gut. The crotchety grandfather act can still be fun, but overall, the CBC looks worse every year for his presence."

*You may have heard about Washington's recent launch of Club Scarlet, but in case you haven't the Washington Times breaks down the new fan club aimed at women.

Hurricanes Cliff notes:
*Scott Walker expects to be back in the lineup for the Hurricanes tonight at Verizon Center after being out since Jan. 27 with concussion symptoms.

*Meanwhile Carolina's Jussi Jokinen returned home to Finland because of the death of his father and is expected to miss a week.

*Carolina has lost two of its past three and five of its last 10 games including a 5-3 loss to the lowly Thrashers on Sunday. The Hurricanes are just one point out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference, but one of the few teams that hasn't had many rumors circulating as the trade deadline approaches.

*Last week, Hurricanes beat writer Luke DeCock looked at how Carolina's AHL affiliate, the Albany River Rats managed to move on after the team bus crashed last month with help from first-year coach Jeff Daniels.

By Katie Carrera  |  March 3, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green named February's second star
Next: Kozlov set to return?

Comments

Posted by: fehrrocks | March 3, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

What an awesome video Katie.

Posted by: mauree | March 3, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Was hoping to wake up to an overnight trade! Oh well, does anyone know of a good station on Sirius radio to follow the moves tomorrow? I am going to be on the road most of the day.

Posted by: PhilR | March 3, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

@Phil R

They have an NHL Channel on Sirius. It's 204 on XM, and Im thinking it might be the same now on Serious.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 3, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Cool, thanks...at least the company car has satellite radio so I can keep up on things!

Posted by: PhilR | March 3, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Great video Katie. Thanks!

Posted by: luvdcaps | March 3, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Sirius is 208. I have been listening to XM 204 now and it is a great channel.

Posted by: powerplay | March 3, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Man, I both love and hate this time of year... I just hope we dont give up a player or players who can really help us in the playoffs... IE Semin, Flash, Kozy, etc. or any of our younger talent ala Bourque/Alzner

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 3, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Other little rumor:

- Phoenix defenceman Derek Morris has given the Coyotes a list of three teams where he'd like to be dealt: Philadelphia, Washington and Boston. The Flyers' lack of cap space will curb their interest, but the Capitals and Bruins both like him. Morris can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Nice video Katie, about time you got more exposure on here considering how you carry Tarik most of the time! :)

My sister used to keep score like that old geezer. She'd even track penalties too, many a time we'd be celebrating a goal and would look down to see her scribbling the details down! Good times!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 3, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

DeCock is a name you have to live up to.
The pressure alone makes one turtle.

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Also, from previous post:

"I'd pick a goalie over a D-man without any hesitation whatsoever. It's a no brainer. Any hockey coach or veteran player would tell you that."

Absolutely correct!

Thank you ranndino, for great points supporting the same beliefs as me, just in much smarter posts. :) You are exactly right. I didn't want to put anything out there about the types of shots that Backstrom faces because honestly I've barely ever watched the Wild play before, but in some Youtube videos I saw him saving a lot of the same shots that Theo faces and can't stop. You bring up some great points and I trust you in everything you said. Now let's all watch tonight CLOSELY at Theo and see if any goal scored today by the Canes is on the D or on Theo himself.. then we'll continue the debate.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Now I want to go to a Hershey Bear game.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Rachael,
Isn't sport brilliant. I can just imagine what my boss would say if I handed him a list of places I'd rather work.

a) Manchester United
b) Washington Capitals
c) Barbados Cricket Team

Only in sport eh?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 3, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

As much as I would love to see Backstrom between the pipes here. I just dont want to give up the farm for him. Same goes for anyone on the block.

I just dont want to make the same mistake Pitt made last year, Get a great player and have him take off at the end of the year and we be left with no prospects, a couple core guys missing from the team, and barely able to make the playoffs.

Does anyone know what the wild are asking for Backstrom?

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

oo7,
I thought about mentioning the name of the Canes beat writer but decided against it. Maybe I misjudged the level of this blog!

The fact his first name is "Luke" just adds to the fun.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

It's bizarre how little movement has occurred so far this year. It seems none of the GM's want to blink first.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Only problem with NHL on Sirius is you have to have the "best of" package to get it since it was originally an XM station. NHL is why I origianlly chose XM over Sirius.

I've read the delay in the Geurin trade is due to the Isle's trading partner, strongly suspected to be the Caps.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 3, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Who would be interested in seeing Halpern brought back? PK, Defensive responsibility... anyone interested? it would pluck a few of my heart strings.

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

It's more like GMs are scared to death of cap implications for their moves. No one wants to end up like Chicago with 13 million tied up in goalies or the Rangers' insanity.

Posted by: koalatek | March 3, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan:

It sounds like something a swarmy Italian would say, doesn't it?

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I'll be the first to say that she is kinda hot.

Her use of vowels in the crease was awesome and coupled with the pitch control at the point, just fantastic.

Seriously, Katie is obviously going places and I look for her to be a #1 pick in the future.

We are lucky to have this kind of talent working for us.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Ok oo7, you wanna explain to my work mates why I just burst out laughing whilst supposedly reading a business plan?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 3, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like that business plan is ridiculous!

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

*stares at oo7, DaveUKCapsFan*

Posted by: mauree | March 3, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Luuuuuke..................DeCock!

The BEAT writer.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

@Dizzy1205, heard the Wild are working hard to resign NB before tomorrow.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 3, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I sorry.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mauree, I never said anything bad against Italians! I just laughed!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 3, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who does not have a blog directory on his page? The "blog directory" takes me to an Obama Inaguration page that is over a month old. I had to dig around in the sports section to find this blog.

Posted by: MKadyman | March 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Katie and Tarik for the video, article and photo gallery. As a Bears season ticket holder for 20+ years I can truly attest that we love our Bears through good and bad, and you've really captured the essence of our home and our fans. And as a Caps fan for 20+ years, I am absolutely thrilled with the affiliation and hope it lasts a long time.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 3, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@ds_kelly

'Gotcha...

And I am sure that the Ducks are asking about as much for Pronger as the Leafs are asking for Kaberle? Which is way to much.

"The Los Angeles Times recently reported a rumor that has Pronger and Travis Moen heading to Boston in exchange for defenseman Mark Stuart, prospect Joe Colborne and a draft pick,"

On the other hand that is just plain scary.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 3, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@ oo7 -- I'd love to see Halpern back, but the Bolts love him for obvious reasons so I doubt he'll be in the red, white, and blue any time soon. Besides, the Caps glaring liability is a tough, stay-at-home defender. Not many of those in play right now.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Once a season, many of the local youth hockey teams get to play the Hershey Bears youth teams in the Giant Center just before the AHL team plays. You get to see the Big Bears warm up (all the guys are kicking around the soccer ball right in front of the boys locker room) and the boys are in the carpeted player locker rooms. Then after the youth game, the team and parents get to watch the Bears play.

We have been doing this for ten years or so and it is one of the hightlights of the season for me and my boys.

Go Hershey. Tradition, Heritage.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

On a different topic -- time for a statement game after that last stink-bomb. The Caps should Cane the lowly Carolina team tonight, play a full 60 minute game.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Tell me who also thinks that Ms. Carrera looks like Ally Sheedy (Breakfast Club)?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

And yes, Bears games are fun. A big family atmosphere and very anti-Phantoms and W-B Baby Pens. The Giant Center management has thankfully stopped serving just Yueling (yuck, skunky beer), but now serves good, local PA micro-brews too.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Never been to a Bears game, I have seen them play once or twice agianst the Portland Pirates (my home town).

I guess the wife and I will have to try and make a game next year. How far is the drive from Northern VA to Hershey?

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 3, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

@Jimallcaps

Caps usually come back strong after a bad game. Especially at home. I think the energy will be good, and thats a testament to our coach, and the fire in this team.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 3, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

70 minutes up Hwy 15 N to Harrisburg, then 20 minutes over to Hershey. Lovely, easy drive.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan:

I like your 3 work choices. You seem to follow Barbados cricket or should I say cricket in Barbados, maybe you can liven up cricket there. Cook did a pretty good job, but West Indies are 1-0 up in the series.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 3, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

nice job on the Bears vid Katie.

Posted by: rh71 | March 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Have they dispensed with the bails today? Lot's of air, due to BLP out and about.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Dizzy,
It typically takes me about 2 hours from Chantilly, right up route 15. Well worth the drive.

Posted by: _Mark | March 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

bajgirl,
Not so much a follow of Barbados cricket as much as it was on my mind after yesterday. Must admit sitting in the sun watching cricket all day would be pretty cool though.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 3, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

How lucky are we as hockey fans to have a great NHL team (GO CAPS!), a great AHL team (GO BEARS!), and two of the best reporters of the game (thanks Tarik and Katie)? As an old Baltimore Clippers fan (showing my age), rooting for Hershey is different - but still better than ever rooting for the mutually despised Rochester Americans.

Posted by: CommanderX-2 | March 3, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan:

I'm with you there.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 3, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I went to my first Bears game of the year on Saturday. The bears scored twice in the last few minutes to tie and take the lead, and Bourque was awarded a goal after getting tackled while on a breakaway towards an empty net.

Oskar Osala and Graham Mink put on a forchecking clinic for the tying goal. Those guys and the other forward (can't remember who it was) kept the puck in the offensive zone for over a minute before putting it in.

Mathieu Perreault also stood out during the game, made some great passes and seemed to be a step quicker than most out on the ice. He scored the game winner, but the most impressive part was his quadruple knee drop fist pump celebration.

Oh and there were like 7 fights. If any of you haven't been yet, its highly recommended. Plus you can get seats 5 rows off the glass for like $25 a seat.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 3, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Kaberle to the Caps?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 3, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@ lylewimbledon

trying to start a fire of speculation?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Trying to make it through the work day and get to tomorrow...

no I heard rumors that he may be in the mix in a deal that involves Fehr.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

For folks who want reliable news on trade deadline deals, TSN.CA is probably the finest at breaking the news.

Posted by: basrfg | March 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@ whygo, did you happen to watch the show Psych? Ally Sheedy makes quite the convincing serial killer

Posted by: doncosmic | March 3, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Been scouring thn, tsn, espn -- nobody traded and not many substantiated rumors

Still getting Caps-Isles for Bill Geurin, Halpern available, Pronger to Boston, and a few other dead leads. I doubt many of these will pan out.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I hope to all that is holy Boston doesn't land Pronger.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 3, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Katie the Killer, NICE!

Posted by: WhyGo | March 3, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Gah, mornings suck some days.

It is so aggravating to see the talent this team has and see them just not want it enough. It's like they're coasting to the playoffs, and that's just totally maddening, especially as Florida could easily do to us what we did to Carolina last year. Wake up, guys. Do we want that franchise record for points in a season or not? Do we want that second seed or not? Can we even get it now that we've slouched behind NJ again? Not the way NJ's playing right now, methinks, not since they still have a game in hand on us. *kicks the team*

Only thing about Morris is his cap hit (3.9). Yes, he'd be a rental, and Washington is one of the three teams he wanted to be dealt to, but can we afford him? Not both him and Guerin, not even if we move Nylander, and i don't think we'll be able to move Nylander.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 3, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

i cant take it anymore.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about you guys but I'm nervous and worried.

I'll bring this up again, though it should be clear: Boston is going to firm up, Nj is firming up, Florida will try to do something, as will Philly. If the Caps don't do anything, they're going to wish they had. I don't care how much gmgm likes his team, the D isn't good enough. If pronged does go to Boston then it won't matter how many times the caps beat them during the season. Right now, it's as much to do with keeping up with the jones' than anything else. I'd take pronged just to keep Boston or nj from pulling it off.

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@ kittypawz -- agree, probably stuck with Nyles unless Glen Slather is involved. Maybe Nyles on the Isles, but yeah, remote possibility. I do wonder if the hold-up between NYI and the Caps is Nyles refusing to waive his NTC???

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 3, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Admit it everyone. You will be hitting the "refresh" button often today to see if there is any trade news, just like me! :)

While I hope the CAPS do make a move to get better (i.e. a strong defensemen), we need to keep most of our young talent so that we can be a strong team for years to come. And as to the poster who mentioned that they wanted to keep Semin, don't worry about it, he is NOT going anywhere.

Posted by: TrackCollector | March 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I heard the Hawks are interested in Nyles... not the case anymore?

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 3, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

My admittedly amateur take on some of the rumors:

Guerin: What do we need him for? Our needs on D are much bigger, and for that cap hit? No thanks.

Backstrom: I wouldn't mind this trade, not one bit. We have the offensive punch Minnesota'd be looking for in return, we can probably swing his cap hit if we move Mo, he's an amazing goalie.

Plus, having two N. Backstroms on the same team would be absolutely beyond price! :D

Pronger: This would be awesome if we can swing him, but we can't swing him without moving Nylander. Us moving Nylander is as likely as a three-foot blizzard.

Morris: Again, awesome if we could swing him, but Nylander again. :P

Kaberle: Nah. Worth too much on the open market, and he's a power-play quarterback. We need a solid PK'er, not another PP dude. Also, cap hit.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 3, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

We can afford to bring in two players with an annual salary of $4million. Each of their cap hits for the remainder of the season would be around $800K. And we have $1.7 mill in cap space available, but we have to send a player away in any deal we make bc we are at the 50 player limit. So we basically have around $2million in cap space to work with.

Posted by: ThePat | March 3, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The more I think about guerin for the run, the more I like it. reminds me of the bellows pick up: aging star in a key position. Guerin would give us a legit veteran RW, which we've missed since Clarks 30. no knock on kozlov but guerin is bonafied. the more time that passes the bigger the deal seems. multiple trades? trimming the price by a few thousand by waiting till the 4th? if he goes to Boston or NJ OR PITT I'll be even more uneasy.

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I can feel my blood pressure rising...

Posted by: CapsKH | March 3, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@oo7: Me too :/

I'd like to see us get Pronger, don't get me wrong. The Bill Guerin trade rumor leaves me scratching my head, honestly. And yes, to keep Boston/NJ away from him. If he doesn't come to us, I'd rather see him not move at all.

My choices for trade would be Pronger or Backstrom, FWIW.

Also, new thread.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 3, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

re: Backstrom

For the ones supporting his coming to the Caps... can you enlighten me on who would you give away / and how to deal salary issues? You surely don't believe that MIN would just trade him for Theo now, do you?

Posted by: mauree | March 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

last years playoffs showed the merit of a strong net presence.
still, D is a priority. the caps are two pieces away: vet d and forward. that's not much compared with years past. great sacrifice means great reward. Kronwall ain't gonna do it.

Posted by: oo7 | March 3, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

For Morris, we should be able to swing it if Mo is part of the package. Hell, throw Schultz in there too. Swap some picks and you've got a trade that ... (a) gets rid of 2 expiring (restricted FA) contracts, (b) results in a difference of approximately $300 thousand the rest of the season, and (c) allows the Caps to run a D corps of:

Green-Morris
Poti-Erskine
Jurcina-Alzner

Posted by: FOHS_Marc | March 3, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Just a Poll question for everyone:.....How many players get moved in the next 24 hours....not who, not where, just how many.

Posted by: RichC3 | March 3, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Hrmmm, my guess is 4.

Posted by: CapsKH | March 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"My insiders tell me a deal is very close involving Washington & Toronto with Kaberle heading to the Caps for a 2nd round pick, Eric Fehr and Joe Finley or Sasha Pokulok."

Anyone else see this? What do you think?

Posted by: patrone | March 3, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I only caught the tail end of the report, but it sounded like NHL Network reported Backstrom has worked out a contract with Minnesota and isn't going anyway.

Not sure about Kaberle. For a reason I can't quite place, I'm not sure I'd want the Caps to give up a lot for him.

Posted by: writered21 | March 3, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

And Tarik confirms Backstrom. :)

Posted by: writered21 | March 3, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Awesome!! I'm in that picture in the top right corner in my new White 27 alzner jersey!

Posted by: littledogdan | March 3, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Terrific video, Katie.

But what *is* the deal with the pink jerseys?

Posted by: chrisd3 | March 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

the pink jerseys were special valentine's day jersey's. they were auctioned off after the game for charity

Posted by: littledogdan | March 4, 2009 5:25 AM | Report abuse