Morning Reading List

get_image.jpg
Jonathan Newton--TWP

*Home sweet home has changed to anything but for the Capitals who are suddenly struggling at Verizon Center after their second stinker in a row, and their fourth loss out of the past six games in Washington.

*Here is the Hurricanes perspective from the Raleigh News & Observer.

*Happy trade deadline day everyone. Yesterday General Manager George McPhee said the Caps weren't planning any big moves, but given the team's recent funk may there be more on the horizon? (Washington Times)

*According to Bob McKenzie the Caps are still in the running for Derek Morris.

*I could link to each of the latest rumors around the league but the best strategy is to keep checking here for updates and also at TSN's Tradecentre 2009. Mike Vogel and Brett Leonhardt are also hosting a special trade deadline edition of Capitals Report from noon to 4 p.m. that you can watch or listen to here.

*If you'd like to experience last night's 5-2 loss again here are the highlights.

*Dan Steinberg reminds you for good measure that the Caps, past and present, don't care much for the Flyers.

*The Globe and Mail's Stephen Brunt is the latest columnist who doesn't agree with the way Don Cherry sees the NHL.

*Maple Leafs Coach Ron Wilson was asked about Cherry's comments about Alex Ovechkin as well.

In the system:
*Braden Holtby is poised to set yet another record for the Saskatoon Blades and become the franchise's winningest goaltender.

*In light of the Albany River Rats' bus crash last month, Tim Leone talks to former Bears defenseman Bob Wilkie about the Swift Current Broncos 1986 bus crash that claimed the lives of four players.

*Hershey heads into the final 20 games of its schedule with games at the Toronto Marlies on Saturday and at Lake Erie Monsters on Sunday. And don't forget this week's Bear Tracks.

By Katie Carrera  |  March 4, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Canes 5, Caps 2
Next: Quick practice update

Comments

What a stinker. GMGM hopefully will get a stud d-man, and a gritty veteran forward. If not, I fear this team is one and done in the playoffs.

Posted by: BPTUCKER71 | March 4, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Ok, let me start by saying I’m not expecting a Cup this June (hey I’d take it if it happened) but I’m certainly not banking on it. There is a plan in place here and this year was always a staging post for an assault on the Cup in the next couple of years. I certainly don’t agree that our window of opportunity is already closing – in the words of Karen Carpenter “We’ve only just begun”.

I’ve supported Jose all year so I’m not going to say we need to upgrade in nets now. Jose will be just fine if we can get some him some defensive help. The plan is Jose gets us through this year, helps bring on Varly/Neuvy next year then makes way for whichever WonderKid is ahead by the start of the 2010/11 season.

It’s a shame Johnny is injured because I could have seen us trading him. He’s a more than capable back-up and would be an upgrade over a few teams starters.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm no Green-basher, but he played an absolute turd of a game last night. He was out there for at least 4 of the goals, and on 3 of them, his lack of any defensive play led to the goals (both shorties and the PPG). With Clark and Johnny out on IR now, can we really not afford to call up Alzner? He's not perfect, but at least he doesn't take a bunch of penalties. On the offensive end of things, the guys were taking too long to fire their shots. And I don't mean the numerous times they had good shots and failed to take them, I mean the times that they did commit to shoot. They seemed to be taking an extra second with the puck before shooting, which allowed the Carolina players to get a stick/leg/body in the way to block the shot. You can apply that same comment to the Panthers game as well.

Posted by: alpca3877 | March 4, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Joe B. or Locker made a comment at some point that Ovie was under the weather or something. He looked completely out of sync. Is he also fighting the flu?

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

TSN is reporting that the Ducks are officially no longer taking offers for Pronger and are keeping him.

Posted by: doncosmic | March 4, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Its official. I'm imposing a self ban from all home games as I have witnessed 3 straight losses going to games as non-STH. I think my stinking record this year is 10 - 5. I can't take it anymore.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Well if what TSN reports is true then at least the Flyers or some other team that is/will be a thorn in our side will not get him.

Green did play a stinker of a game. What gives? On at least two goals he just stopped and watched. Flu too? If some of the other guys had the flu was it too late to get someone here from Hershey or did they just think (incorrectly) they could battle through it?

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 4, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Hope Michal did not get ruined last night. If that is how the team plays for a rookie goalie's third start then if I was Varlamov I would definitely put off coming back here.

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 4, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Tarik/Katie,

Could somebody please go to Fedorov, Semin or Morrisonn and get the facts about this misunderstood "goal celebration" at the end of last night's game?

It wasn't one of those types of celebrations you see at the end of a Game 7 where the first player coming in actually intends to knock the player down before a pile on ensues. Fedorov simply slipped and fell from some combination of fatigue, the bad ice and Semin and Morrisonn banging into him. He grinned as he got back on his feet for a brief moment likely due to embarrassment from slipping and falling.

All that was intended was a brief congratulations between 3 players but it ended up looking like more because Fedorov last his balance and they all fell down. Nothing would have been talked about if Fedorov didn't fall down. Why has nobody in the media considered that it was a mere accident? Boudreau makes mistakes, too.

Once again, please get the facts and write a little piece to straighten out the situation. I truly believe that Boudreau, himself, misjudged it and reacted prematurely during his postgame interview.

THE AP ACTUALLY REPORTED THAT IT LOOKED LIKE FEDOROV TRIPPED ON THE ICE!!! There is a citation in the previous thread from another poster.

I'm shocked that nobody actually bothered to ask Fedorov, Semin or Morrisonn what happened before jumping to conclusions. The Caps are a group with good character and deserved the benefit of the doubt. There isn't a bad seed among them in terms of attitude.

What was intended to be a brief and typical celebration got completely misinterpreted because Fedorov fell down.

And I'm not overreacting.

These guys don't need to be getting a bad rap from the media. It doesn't create good (or fair, in this case) exposure for the players, especially in the wake of Cherry's absurd comments about Ovechkin.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Can someone who was at the game give me their impression of Kronwall last night? He looked pretty good from what I could see on the television but was curious what someone who was actually there thought.

And these guys have got to get a veteran leader today. That performance last night was simply unacceptable and I think a vet would have been knocking some heads between periods.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

We need both a veteran back up goaltender and a physical defenseman. Theodore let's in soft goals and that won't get you to the finals. GMGM, good luck with todays trades.

Posted by: noreaster1 | March 4, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Kronwall looked ok but everyone looked bad. What I did like was hat he said to Al Kokin when asked whether or not they were frustrated after playing a solid 1st period, he said "I didn't think we played particularly well".

3 games is not enough time figure someone out especially when the whole team seems to be playing half speed.

Jury is still out.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks JSchon, it is so hard to judge from home because you can't see the whole ice, and Locker and Joe simply aren't the greatest at pointing out things away from the play.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Everyone looked bad over the last 2 games covering 3 days. Listless, uninspired, slow... Given that JT had to be held out of last night's game due to the flu, and Locher was sick and he and JB said something like "several guys had the flu bug" I don't wonder if this is simply that. Guys are either playing sick, just coming down with something, or just getting over something. Sure would explain a lot of the lack of effort seen over the past 2 games. If that's the case it should resolve itself shortly.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | March 4, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I thought he looked ok. I will echo Jschon's comment and say everyone maybe aside from Backstrom and Semin looked horrible last night. Was it me or were they the only two back checking the whole night?

Was just a lousy game. Hopefully we can rebound.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

If it's that damn nasty cold going around it will take a while. I've had the stupid thing for three weeks now!

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree with the Vet. leader needed idea! I have been really thinking that for a while. I mean, our February was not all stinkers, but even some of the wins weren't thaaat great. I feel like there is some sort of lack of leadership in the locker room. The skilled players too often resort to their individualistic talent instead of team talent.

I cannot believe the bad luck of showing that Brooks Laich interview regarding how they were all adults and do not need a locker room "chearleader" (is that what he said?) as they later end up in the second stinker in a row at home. And, I am not calling this out just because of their recent funk, I just think it is natural that teams have a leader/motivator. And with their captain out and off ice, well hopefully someone would step up.

Also, I find it ironic that since Laich had mentioned the penalties/selfish penalties issue in a post game interview a few games back, he has taken at least one penalty in each of the games since, when before, he was not really in the mix of people taking those penalties. (not trying to bash Laich at all in this thread, he is def. one of my favorite players!)

Also, regarding the Feds "celebration," I was at the game on Sunday and had noticed Fedorov slipping in the same fashion (softly backwards) all game long, on and off the plays....I was thinking then that there must be a kink in his skate or something....but yeah, I got to believe that was just an accident. Then again, BB calling them out after a game, well maybe he should have gotten his facts right first, but he still deserved to be cranky after that loss.

Anyway, every team goes through this. I am sure the Caps will get back on track in time for the playoffs.

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | March 4, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to wonder if the guys have the "brew" flu. Lots of rumors going around about the late night partying. Could have a lot to do with a long, lousy home stretch. Too much complacency and comfort. Makes it easy to let down and go do things you otherwise shouldn't be. Just a thought.

Posted by: BPTUCKER71 | March 4, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

If it turns out that the Caps are suffering from a shared flu bug, as opposed to a I don't give a rip bug, then color me happy. The flu sucks, but playing uninspired with this much talent and a great system is tragic.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 4, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

In the previous BB stated that FLA was beating us to the puck. I thought that would have been corrected last night. We seemed to be standing around and very lack luster. I hope that it is the flu bug and not anything else. Greene had his worst game, but I am confident he will bounce back. Between periods I switched to the Bolts and Pens game and they were talking about Martin St.Louis and his +10 rating where his linemates are -14 and -13. They attribute that to how hard he works especially on back-checking. I see that as an answer for some of our woes. I do like the rookie in net, but last night he was exposed as everything was shot high.

Posted by: tomdchancar | March 4, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

What a way to go into trade deadline day. Half the team looked like they were just out of sync - it wasn't just Ovechkin. I wonder if there's something going through that locker room. I hope Neuvirth isn't ruined by that.

I tried to give that Kasey chick the benefit of the doubt. I did. She sounded better than she did in the auditions, but gah. Missed notes everywhere.

I'm not sure I want to go to the Toronto game Thursday, but I'm taking a friend, so I guess there's little choice. Let's hope they've fixed those issues.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 4, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

@BPTUCKER71

Where are you hearing these rumors from? I have heard it only twice (including your post) I would like to know where it is coming from and if it has any merit.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Why... Why can't Lisa Hlllary get the flu?

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the "wait till next year" mentality. Why not make a couple of trades and make a run for the cup THIS year?

Next year, the Caps are going to need a goalie that is not a sieve. Why not get one this year?

Next year, the Caps are going to need a defenseman who can defend. Why not get one this year?

Why not make a couple moves and make a run for the Cup NOW?

Posted by: Ron16 | March 4, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they've been playing like crap on a stick for the past couple games because they don't want to get traded. I mean, really, who in their right mind would take Schultz off our hands after seeing what he has wrought on the ice over the last few games?

I kid, I kid...

I really hope it's the flu. If not, maybe a little shakeup today will provide them some perspective.

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

It sure looked like the guys felt like crap last night, from what I saw of the game... they were half a pace behind, and that tends to run with being sick... :-( If Theodore has the flu, it makes sense that he isn't alone. The play the Caps displayed on Sunday and again last night makes no sense otherwise...

Posted by: irockthered | March 4, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

No one minds the two points lost, but how we lost them.

Wonder how many times people will bring up the DET 8-0 loss. Which was not at home by the way. And they won yesterday 5-0. You can't just accept playing that bad and say that other teams do it too. If it's true, then VC should be just empty during the "stinkers" period - nobody wants to see that!

This is part of the maturing of a team, the concept, growing in their head, that every game, every minute counts.

In any case, D help is needed.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree Ron16.

There were few people in here last year that didn't want to see any of their beloved Caps leave via trade at the deadline. Do you think this team would be getting as much pub if we didn't make the playoffs last year? No.

The Capitals built equity last year even in the 1st round loss. They left this town wanting more. All because we made the playoffs by getting Huet, Feds and Cooke.

This team is ready to go far into the playoffs, after they get rid of the flu. Make a move or two, get rid of bad contracts if you can, get tougher.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Well folks, I will check back in later. But for now, it is off to TSN and the tradetracker. Come on GMGM we need A D man bad!

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

what moves would you suggest - including bad contracts?

Move Nyls and get a Vet D and Stay-in-the-crease forward?

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey tmac, let it go. It is done, water over the dam. Even if a full page spread in all newspapers nationwide advertisers they tripped, fell and were laughing about falling, it won't matter in the public perception outside of DC. Listen to Home Ice on XM and many folks outside of DC don't like any of the Caps celebrations.

Also, losing 5-1, only thing you should do after scoring a goal is to say "nice pass" and skate off.

Period, end of story.

Next game now.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Nylander,how can we trade what you probably couldn't give away? If the Caps could just unload the salary for a draft pick or a prospect it would be great.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 4, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

If people don't like the way the Caps celebrate goals, then why are other teams starting to do it?

Interesting trading going on already...

Posted by: irockthered | March 4, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

And it's good news for us that Pronger is off the market. If we can't have him, I'd prefer he stay in Anaheim, TYVM. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | March 4, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

@ridgely1

correct. I like Nyls but his contract is getting problematic. Maybe his experience will be of use during the playoffs? But if by some luck we could move him, it would free us to make a big move now.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

IRTR, I did not say teams were not copying, I was saying many fans calling in did not like.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

The things that generally constitute playoff hockey are:
1) Remarkable goalkeeping
2) Punishing defense
3) Highlight reel scoring
4) A skill agitator

We're great in #3.....could improve in 1,2 and 4. We have Nylander, defense, depth scoring (Bourque?) to deal with. Additionally I wouldn't be shocked to see us go after another center, as I'm not sure Feds will be with us next year.

Posted by: C-way | March 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

@mauree

Thats an awful question to ask me. I have so many ideas.

Bad Contracts
Nylander
Poti
Erskine

Needs
1a. S@H defensemen
1b. Puck moving defensemen
3. Veteran PF
4. Backup goalie

Who'd I'd be willing to part with?
Anyone not named Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Green, Varlamov, Carlson or Alzner.

My Top 5 guys I want that might be available? (factoring cost)
1. Komisarek (long shot, but he's my mancrush)
2. Kaberle
3. Bouwmeester
4. Cole (Ovi/Backstrom/Cole)
5. Niedermayer

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan "I was saying many fans calling in did not like."

A funny but I think legit question here...

How many of those fans that called in were from the Pittsburgh area or owned "Sid the Skid" jersey's?

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I have played the game enough to know that when you score a goal and make it 5-2 at the end of a game, you don't even lift your arm, you don't hug your linemates, you keep your head down in shame and perhaps, at the most, get a slight tap on the shin pads from your linemate.
I don't care that it's the venerable Fedorov, the demonstration was plain stupid.
And, I agree with all the Caps players having the flu; the opponents keep skating past them so fast that I am sure they are catching bugs.

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Do we all believe that Poti was off the ice due to an injured groin in warmups? Or something else?

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon
I'd add Mo in the bad contract list, and Osala in the non-tradeable list.

Interesting about Cole, we definitely need someone like him.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@mauree

Mo's contract isnt bad, Mo is. It expires after this season, not Mo, his contract.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

If Poti is on the market, it better be part of a package for a big gun, like JB. He's still our best S@H.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I don't think his groin was back to 100% anyway. He hasn't looked right since he came back from it, so yeah maybe he made it worse by playing on it.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

IF LAST NIGHT'S LOSS WASN'T BAD ENOUGH TALK ABOUT A BUMMER

Pierre LeBrun is reporting The Coyotes and Ducks are talking a deal that would send Bryz and Morris to Philly for Upshall, Lupul, and Marty Biron

and Kaberle got hurt last night

Posted by: capsgary | March 4, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Jshon-
How bout Polthier's contract?

Posted by: C-way | March 4, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I've been figuring all sorts of possibilities and I keep forgetting that Pothier might be back in the mix next year. He certainly would help out the D, but he is also getting paid $2.5M. More reason to dump Nyl's or Poti's contract.

I don't care what anyone says, Poti has been lousy this year, and we have him for another 3 years if we don't ship him off.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

DaveUK found a formula issue, so anyone with the tracker, this is the new (correct) copy: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxjcxbsqQqfbudXaEG24DFA&output=xls

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

oops you're right, I thought Mo was at $2.5M for two more years - but he's $1.95M and RFA at the end of this season. hmm. Wonder what will happen with him.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Mo isn't such a bad contract because it's over in a month. Erskine was a fine contract at $500K but then there's that questionable extension. For my money, there's no way you make Osala more "untradeable" than Flash. I agree with JSchon's no-trade list except I would add that goalie Holtby to the list. Then I would say Flash is one the edge as untradeable. He's very cap friendly next year and producing decent numbers. He reminds me of Bondra and is almost at the age when Bondra took off (March, 1995).

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Poti is only two more years at $3.5M/year.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

We desperately need a vet goalie and a good D-man...come on GMGM...rid us of Nylander NOW!!!!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 4, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsgary | March 4, 2009 8:58 AM

Biron says he asked been asked to waive his NTC (as of last night before the game anyway).

Posted by: Section117 | March 4, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@ dizzy

Funny, I hear what you are saying. Actually the 3 I heard specifically yesterday were fans of the Wings, Sabres and Devils.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Quite a list of RFA/UFA:

RFA at the end of this season:
Fehr
Gordon
Bourque
Morrison
Jurcina
Schultz
Collins
Kronwall
Lepisto
Machesney

UFA at the end of this season:
Fedorov
Kozlov
Brashear
Giroux
Mink
Sloan
Helmer

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

@mauree

Poti is not, I repeat, is not a S@H defensemen.

2-way D
Green
Poti
Kronwall
Alzner

S@H
Jurcina
Schultz
Erskine
Morrisonn

Part of our problem is that Poti hasn't done much puckmoving since he's been a Cap. Poti has never and never will be a S@H D-man. At this point in his career, he is an average at best 2-way defender with a hefty contract.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh come on what I meant was, he played like one and he's the best on our D. Unless you think any on the S@H list is better than him?

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I would say Poti's best skill is clearing the puck on the PK. All the rest of them try to go along the boards and it gets pinched at the blueline. Then someone gets a broekn stick and it's 5 on 3 1/2 and there's a goal.

Poti has not shown the offensive zone skill that I thought he had when they signed him.

All the RFA guys have to clear waivers before they can be assigned next year to Hershey (unless they voluntarily sign a two-way deal).

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

The list of RFA/UFA at the end of this season is so long. Wonder (hope) if a package is being prepared for a big name.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

BTW

I went to the Hershey game this past Saturday. We do not have an enforcer down there, we have a couple Bradley's but no one imposing. Just a lot of skill. We could use a couple of 230lb+ angry Canadians on that team

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Bourque and Lepisto traded only so they can get a chance to play elsewhere. Neither is going to break into the lineup next year.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

From Tarik regarding Eric Staal, who scored on a "wrist shot over Neuvirth's glove a few strides from the harsh marks with 35 seconds remaining in the period."

Last night those marks were harsh indeed.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | March 4, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

if AO heartless performance is something he is trying to show for not agree with (trading day related)?

Posted by: voyM | March 4, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Jschon

Mcneill and Amadio can mix it up really good and beleive it or not Beagle is a beast when he fights

Posted by: capsgary | March 4, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

One move the caps can make without costing a player is to bring up Aucoin. Isn't he leading the AHL in scoring? I think his contract is one-way next year, so he'll be playing. Usually the guy leading the AHL in scoring would deserve a shot, you'd think.

Bourque will be with the Caps too, if he's still with the organization, since no way he could make it through waivers.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Embarrasing! Our crappy defense is being exposed...Green could be great, but he is aweful at defense. I still think it will be a short playoffs for us this year. I think we are still a year away from being contenders instead of pretenders.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

List of D RFA this summer:

The Caps have the most with 6.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

After the past couple games...Gary Roberts would be a very good idea!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon
I'd add Mo in the bad contract list, and Osala in the non-tradeable list.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 8:52 AM

Phew, glad its just not me with the man crush on Osala!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Nylander had the best game last night.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

capsfanpensfan.blogspot.com

Posted by: hsk8er6 | March 4, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The only person I would be interested in is Antropov. He is a big guy that can play in front of the net.
Our D just needs to get better position. They don't suck, they are just young.
Either way, if we don't make any moves, we will be alright.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hsk8er6 | March 4, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I love how everyone copies Boudreau now and uses the word "stinker."

Posted by: BigMogilny | March 4, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Somebody needs to break the ice and make that first deal of the day. It's way too quiet out there.

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I responded to a text that received last night at the game asking how the Caps were playing with the word "Pew".

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

ModestProposal,
They are all waiting on the West coast guys to wake up!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

@_828

Our D just needs to get better position. They don't suck, they are just young.

I disagree. They are not taking the bodies and they are not fast enough. These two critical elements of defending will not get better with age. It's the same issue everywhere. You want to trade Mo, Jurcina, Poti, etc...., you have to package them with something else otherwise, you won't get anything better.

Unfortunately, with 30 teams in the NHL, you have a lot of players who shouldn't be playing at that level. I wish Bettman would decrease the number of teams back to 24. Imagine how better the game would be if you took 300 contracts and redistributed them among the 24 teams and lose/waste the bottom 300 contracts.... just wishful thinking of course.

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

No need to hurry. When the deal is agreed to by the 'hockey guys', the lawyers and accountants take over. Look for the wheel to spin from noon to 2:30pm.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,
I would agree about Cole - he was a Cap killer when he was on the Canes... he woulc be a good guy to get as well. Hard worker and great offensive/defensive skills.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@BigMogilny "I love how everyone copies Boudreau now and uses the word "stinker.""

Really? I have heard that word used to describe bad hockey games since I was in mites.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I love how people come on here with their own blog site and tries to get people to go over to it.

hsk8er6: stop it already

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

how old are you? 1,205?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@828

talk about glass 1/2 full! :D

Come on, we need a vet D and possibly a tough F to be competitive (love the Erik Cole idea). Do it this year and we have a shot at the SC. Why not?

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

example of a 'stinker'.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

my post, not yours.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Never mind waiting on the West Coast to wake up - I'm leaving work now!!

Isn't flexi time brilliant?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

atybat - the rulle is, D players don't mature until they are 28 or so. Look at Chara, he was moved around when he was younger... he is not exactly a speedster... same with Pronger. These guys just need to mature. Lindstrom isn't a speedy guy, he just has the right positioning. Every sport is about technique... the player with the best technique wins!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

No one is sleeping right now.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

TSN KABERLE TO CAPS FOR SHAMO, POTI

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Nope im 31... but I have heard that word used to describe horrible games forever now.

The other word usually used while the game is in play is Pee-ew. :-)

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Sorry bout that.

My 16 year old son thought he would try to get me kicked off the site.

Go to your room, young man.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You could also through in Effort in there as well - like Laich talked about.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want a vet D man, I am just saying - we are not terrible.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Ottowa just got LeClaire

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo

wasn't funny yesterday, not funny now.

OTT gets Leclaire from CBJ.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo, really?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo, what are you smoking? Kaberle got injuired last night. If you read anything on TSN.ca you'd have seen that.

Posted by: jwash4472 | March 4, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@828

If other teams are trying to get better, we should as well. I'm not saying blowup the team, but make moves to win today without mortgaging the future. We are built for a long run of success but just as last year a few moves can make the difference.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

OK, it was me.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the Caps are going to put Poti on LTIR? Watching his recent play, it seemed like he was at 75% at best. They should rest him until the playoffs, and then hope he can contribute. Of course, there are no guarantees, as Chris Clark missed half a season last year with a groin injury.

If they do put Poti on LTIR, they'd at least free up the money to bring up Alzner as his replacement. Otherwise, we'll be seeing even more of 4, 23, 55 and 44, and that's not a good thing.

Posted by: cainoo7x | March 4, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@_828 "I am just saying - we are not terrible."

Agreed, I still think we are on schedule for a cup run next year. If we get to the finals this year then so be it. But I think Washington makes the big push next year. In the meantime I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I think GM's are waiting for the first shot to be fired...if Bouwmeester or Pronger go it will be a busy day...otherwise I think small tweak moves here and there.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

2-minute minor for WhyGo for false trade claim. Seriously, be cool. It's going to be a crazy day as it is.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

@tomin

Yes - Aucoin is leading the AHL in total points and Giroux is leading in goals scored (42) - they've played together the entire year (except when one of them was up in DC) - I know its tough to crack the Caps lineup - but I think these two could make an impact.

Hated to see Neuvy have the bad game last night - we need to remember this kid was slotted to play in the ECHL this year - then had to promoted to AHL when Varley got hurt there - and now to the Caps due to Johnson's surgery. The kid appears to be "in over his head" right now - he's only 19 (I believe) - but I still think he's got a bright future. Hope GMGM doesn't trade any of the "bright future" guys to try to get the Cup right now - have to be patient.

Posted by: hersheybearfan | March 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

JSchon, I hear you and I'm not arguing against that. But, I am also with you that they can make some minor moves and not ruin the Caps bright future. It's too bad we cant just get rid of draft picks.
BUT, if they don't do anything, I am not going to cry about it.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd still like to see AO moved off the point on the PP. I think his ability to move and score is far more important - and helpful - if he's not also suppose to be manning a point. Both of those SHGs last night were on him - that point wasn't manned and they took advantage of it....as has just about everyone of last. How about Feds on that point and move AO down. Mike Green isn't much better at staying at home on his point but he does score from that position.

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Green needs to stop going out and partying. Apparently he was at the Shadow Room with Brash til the early hours of Sunday morning, game night. They need to focus on the season and not getting laid. Heard many other stories about a bunch of the boys and there partying ways...you may think they are stories but I know they are true

Time for a curfew Boudreau.

Posted by: hockymn22 | March 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I love your name.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Kaberle with broken hand over Poti completely healthy. Rub some Tussin on it Tomas.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Don't tease...not cool.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo - talk about crying wolf. Didn't you ever read that story when you were younger?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Forget about Pronger and Bouwmeester. They are not going anywhere.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

TSN:

Gretzky to LA Kings

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Nylander in the lineup: 36-16-5;
Nylander out of the lineup: 4-4-0.

Posted by: meagle | March 4, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@_828

True about maturing around 26-28 for a defensemen. With maturity comes better movement of the puck, positioning and other internal tactics. The basic skills such as toughness, speed will not improve. Many of our defensemen have these type of deficiencies (Schultz is the prime example). Unfortunately, with 180 + defensemen in the NHL, it is true for many of them.

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I actually had a nightmare last night that we traded Ovechkin to Philly for Hextall and a bag of chips.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The Ottawa Senators were the first team out of the gate on Deadline Day, trading winger Antoine Vermette to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for goaltender Pascal Leclaire. Stay with TSN.ca and TSN

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I love you, man.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

what kind of chips were they? Vegas chips or regular potato chips?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

FLA fanbase of 46 people do not deserve Bouwmeester. They are not not a lock to ake the playoffs even with him. Jay Bo has to be moved unless you think you can make t to the ECF a least or you think you can resign him.

Neither of those options seem likely.

Not trading Jay Bo could be the biggest mistake come summer time.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Jalapeno chedder hand cooked chips.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

JSchon - Florida is not going to trade him to us.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Ottawa got the goalie they needed. Swell.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

they wouldn't trade him to PITT, BUFF or CAR, but we are not a threat to the playoff cut as thoose teams are.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think Kronwall earned another start after last night - had a few big hits and was flying all over the place.

Most notable is that he jumped into the play A LOT - more than Green even. This might bite him, but it was interesting to see that from another D-man on this team.

Did Brash even get a shift in the 3rd period?

Posted by: stormblue | March 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I know that, but I think he will be moved.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Florida is still trying to win the division. If you don't think it's possible, look at last years Caps run.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

What about Olie Jokinen for Nyls straight up?
I really do want Antropov though.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Saw Kronwall below the goalline many times. Brash had to drop back twice to cover his rush. Good pressure.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

TSN is reporting that the Caps will not trade Schultz or Nylander but would consider trading Semin. Tarik is verifying the story in Google and Yahoo.

Posted by: opita1 | March 4, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Only because he is on my bench for Fantasy hockey. Antropov's stock would rise then!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

828, maybe. I think they would not avoid us, a trade is a trade. get what YOU want and don't worry about the other guy.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

If they are not going to trade Nylander then why was Nylander scratched this past week. That makes no sense.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

atybat,

You are right about how players should react when scoring a late meaningless goal in a decided loss...

and that's exactly how all 3 players involved in the situation planned on reacting. They know better than both of us how to behave in the NHL.

They don't necessarily have to put their heads down and tap shin pads while sulking. That is an option, sure, but pay attention the next few times another team is losing and scores late. You'll see plenty of cases where they do exactly what our guys "planned" on doing. They just won't slip and fall.

Fedorov, Semin and Morrisonn were just planning on quickly getting together then heading to the bench and there is nothing wrong with that. Fedorov slipped, Semin fell on top of him and Morrisonn got tangled in the mess while trying to keep them upright. They weren't trying to go overboard and were perfectly aware of the game situation... much more than you or I since they were actually involved in it. If Fedorov didn't slip, nobody would have mentioned it. Book it.

This whole "meaningless goal celebration" portrayal is inaccurate and was actually nothing more than Fedorov slipping. And that slipping wasn't due to Semin barreling him over. The ice sucks and Fedorov was probably tired from playing big minutes down the stretch, skating more than usual because he was on defense.

I fully expect to see a comment from Fedorov "accurately" explaining the situation in the next day or two. I'll get over it at that point.

There is a 10-page thread in a much bigger forum than this with the majority of Caps fans ripping those guys for what was in reality nothing more than an accident. Only a few fans were apparently able to look past the bad performance of the team and give a good group of guys the benefit of the doubt.

Sad...

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@opita1 "TSN is reporting that the Caps will not trade Schultz or Nylander but would consider trading Semin."

Thats right because traiding your second or arguably 1st best player worked out so well for Atlanta last year.

that would be the worst move we could make besides getting rid of OV straight up.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Semin is SO valuable. Penalty kill, power play, 5 on 5. He can still learn to stop the stick penalties (he did well last night, usually he would had at least 2).

Might get quite a lot for him. Business is business. winning counts, do whatever it takes.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

tmac2yao

let it go already lol

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@Dizzy1205, WhyGo

need to re-calibrate your sarcasm detector.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

My worthless as it is,vote,keep Semin.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 4, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

No I got the sarcasm.

I was just stating a fact afterwords.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Opita1's last post was so absurd, well maybe with the exceptiong of the Tariki comment, I am surprised it was taken seriously.
I hate commenting on my own post, but sometimes I have to do it.

Posted by: opita1 | March 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if GMGM is considering Nyl for Dandenault trade. In that case we should go for Leopold/Kuba and Erik Cole.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the Caps trading Semin but if they did it would clearly be business. Someone commented earlier about Ovi's lack of interest last night and wondered if it had anything to do with trade rumors. Ovi rarely mails it in but he was pretty close last night. Let's look at a few things: maybe he learned that Semin could be traded and is pretty pissed about it. Second, Semin played a great game last night - maybe he knows too and was playing all out last night on his birthday and with some trepidation. Very interesting.

I'll say this; if they trade Semin it better be for a pile of talent.

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

wow Poti looks at the verizon ice and tweaks a groin now.....talk about bad ice....I think if we could land Morris and Cole, and rid Nylander.....all would be good in in Capital land.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 4, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I say we trade Tarik for Bob McKenzie...stright up...oh ok, put in Katie also.... and one of our Zambonies... they are useless anyways...

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@Mauree
Just saw your post...How do Montreal fit Nyls into their Cap? Dandenault doesn't make anywhere close what Nyls make...

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I approve of ruthlessness in professional sports. Except for #8, I would think that any and every body could be traded, for value received.

PS, I knew it was a joke all along.....

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@opita1: I could very well be overlooking the statement about Semin on TSN but I've read through a lot of items and not once did they mention anything even close to what you've put out here. Again, I may have overlooked it so if you could guide me to the Semin reference I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Look BP Tucker 71 is dead on with the Brew FLu. Half of these guys were out on Saturday night after playing a road game in Boston during the day and full well knowing they had a day game on Sunday. Pictures are all over the place online....Seems like these guys are forgetting what's important.

Posted by: Capsfan1322 | March 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@opita1

Seriously i didnt mean it to come off all negative i did get your sarcasm. I was simply stating the fact that it didnt work out so well for Atlanta. I would question trading off a player like Semin since we do need 2nd and 3rd line scoring threats.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

going on record if we trade semin I am cxling my season tix until GMGM is fired --hopefully replaced by Olie

Posted by: capsgary | March 4, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

We need Johnny Knoxville...you know he will plant his butt in front of the net.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

atybat

No idea. They do need a center, and Nyl could be a good fit for them. We could use Dandenault and the cap space. And, Katie is non-tradeable!

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Well, if they were out drinking - another prime example of them being young. What else is new? These are the things that they have to learn. "I drink the night before the game, I have a crappy game." do it again - same result. "Okay, maybe I should not drink the night of the game" ~ Lesson Learned!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

brutal game. brutal week.
well see what happens today.
I'm hurting from last night.
someone asked about Kronwall. it may be too early to tell, but he hasn't turned any heads so far.

Posted by: oo7 | March 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

TSN reporting the first deal
Ottawa and the Blue Jackets dealing
Vermette for LeClaire

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Of course, if you really think about it, Semin's cap number is only 4.6M next year and then he's a RFA. In order to get equal value for him at you'd think you'd have to get JayBoa, and at least a pick, or JayBo and another player - and the Caps would lose on the cap space. If or not other reason, Semin wouldn't be traded because his cap number is way too low. Any inputs on that? Am I crazy?

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

TSN:
Caps recall Ben Clymer from the couch.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

mauree,

I'd love to let it go but I'd rather try to convince even 1 fellow Caps fan of what actually happened. Better yet, I'd rather see Tarik get the story right.

If this kind of thing wasn't a big deal, why would people freak out across the hockey world about Cherry's comments regarding Ovechkin? What he said was inaccurate but at least our fans and local media got it right in that case.

You don't think there is any chance Cherry will jump on this incident the next time he opens his yap? He may not after the recent backlash but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm sure you'll saying something like "I don't care what he thinks." Well, good for you. Apparently, millions of other hockey fans do care. Getting this story straight by our local media could at least minimize the BS that may go around. If Cherry sees our local guys slamming our players for something that didn't actually happen, it will just give his BS a little more legitimacy. I don't want that.

You are welcome to let it go. I won't. Not yet.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I think at some point during their hockey careers they have already figured out that drinking the night before a day game is not a good idea.

Posted by: Capsfan1322 | March 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

FLA is NOT going to trade someone to their division rival. When has that EVER happened?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Ben has an unusually small head.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know the full list of upcoming free agents for our team? I know Kozlov and Morrison but who else? Thanks

Posted by: capsfan5252 | March 4, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

We traded a 2nd round pick (Brian Sutherby), Ted Roth and Mike Pettinger for Matt Cooke, Huet and Fedorov last season and made the playoffs because of it.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

tmac2yao,
dude, who cares? Who cares about Cherry? The Caps are not here to please anyone but themselves. Why does it matter? I don't care if they do the Icky Shuffle being down by 5... it does not matter!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

tmac2yao, if you can't let it go, then stop writing that nonsense here. Go send Tarik and email or stand outside of the WP building with a pickett sign that says something cute. It does not matter. People are concerned about the trades right now... not some so called celebration.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm outta here today. Since some posters are going to post something as a comment..fine. However, if they are going to post something, identify the best site as the one reporting the info (TSN), and it's all bogus...they are wasting everyone's time. Teams have surprisingly traded away the likes of an Alexander Semin so it is understandable that some of us had to waste time checking websites to see if it was true.
I recommend shutting everything down except for the TSN page. NHL.com still hasn't even reported the Ottawa deal. TSN might have gotten the inside scoop because it was Ottawa though. Perhaps NHL.com will be the first to get the info on US based team's deals. HAGO. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 4, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

_828,

I respect your opinion but I just want our local guys to get it right. It doesn't matter to you while it matters to me. We don't have to agree.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Caps will not trade Semin, that's rediculous.
Hockey players know not to drink night before a game but do it anyways. They should just start earlier in the night rather than later to get more sleep in.

follow www.thefourthperiod.com for fast trade updates or TSN Live tv.

www.nhlnumbers.com for contracts of each team

Posted by: hockymn22 | March 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Ottawa resigned Kuba.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

a few thoughts:

1) Neuvirth is NOT ready for the NHL
2) Caps are not willing to get traffic in front of the net.
3) The past 5 or 6 games, opposing teams are getting breakaways right down the middle of the ice time time after time
4) no crushing D-man or net crashing forward; no cup this year

Posted by: doughless | March 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't care to agree - I am just saying, send an email to Tarik or something.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Just the facts, ma'am.

Stop with the BS.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Tim Connolly resigned with Buffalo.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

_828,

I'm guessing nothing you've ever posted was considered nonsense. If you complained about every post in here that was nonsense, you'd only have a few hours left in your day.

You don't have to reply to my posts. Good luck if you're out to rid this forum of all nonsense. If that's not the case, what are you doing?

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

saintex,

Posted by: capsfan5252 | March 4, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

my opinion? Even if they fell, they should have not even hugged. But I don't think nobody cares, really. The problem is the sort of game they had yesterday, not the celebration.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody care when Cherry was making illegitimate accusations toward Ovechkin?

Apparently, millions did, right?

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

tmac2yao,
Just trying to help you out pal... go save the world of celebration free hockey... way to go - what a trooper you are. Good thing Tarik reads all these posts as he will def respond to your comments. You are on the right track... keep it up! Especially coming from someone who has two bball players in their name.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

millions of Canadians... again, what's your point. Many bashed Cherry for saying that stuff. Obviously Alex did not care and HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT THOSE COMMENTS SHOULD MATTER TO. Not you, not Tarik, not me, not anyone. Only Alex.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Bill Guerin is probably on an African Safari somewhere right now. The guy has been out for over a week.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

No one cares what Cherry has to say...because everyone in the league or follows the league knows he is full of BS when it comes to OV. Cherry is a bitter, old man, who only supports his Canadien boys. He would gladly be Crosby's boyfriend.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

There's a lot that's been said of the celebrations during our game last night. My thoughts on it, from my view in 409, was that it was a response to the 'Canes celebrations.

After Staal's penalty shot goal, he sort of jumped into the glass behind the net and knocked the glass a few times with his stick (after beating a 20 year kid, making his 3rd start?). Isn't he Canadian? Not making a very good role model for those young, impressionable Canadian youths.

The SH goals by Cullen and Eaves also had quite the celebration. I just felt that the Caps (even though it was embarrassing scoring a goal to make it 5-2 with under 2 mins and celebrating like that) were just trying to dish something back to the 'Canes.

Posted by: rocketsREDglare | March 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ovie is already planning his next stunt for the All-Star game next year. He will come out in full Don Cherry mask and Canada red tasseled suit, and do spin-a-rama shots on net until he scores.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Cherry's suits alone are enough not to respect him.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town, actually, I heard the same, only he is going to celebrate before he scores the goal and then take off his shirt and do a backflip after he scores.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

I think OVI already said he won't participate in that anymore. Can't really blame him, how are you going to top that lol

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Where is Tarik?

Get Morris!

I think that rumor about Semin has started here:

"Clearly, the Capitals can’t stand pat and the buzz is such that I don’t expect them to. Personally, I would make the mega deal to get somebody like Chris Pronger to solidify the defense even it means giving up Alexander Semin. But chances are, role players will be the additions."

But it would be hard to sign everyone, so yeah, it could happen. :-)

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I think we should go get Recchi. We need a vet that is calm enough to put the puck ON NET. How many shoots have been going wide and high lately?

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I can understand McPhee not wanting to give up young players that are essential to the team’s future. Here is what worries me as a Caps fan of close to 30 years. The Caps of old knew they could make it into the playoffs every year. They also knew they would never win the Cup. Each playoff season they were missing key components (more than one offensive threat, a goalie, etc). Getting in, playing hard and still failing became the standard.

This team is without a doubt the most talented group the Caps have ever had on the ice. With a few tweaks they can win the Cup now. I would hate to see another short playoff run followed by players thinking that will continue to be the standard.

Posted by: FLDave | March 4, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Recchi is washed up. Besides he doesn't like Ovechkin, is a former Pen, not good for chemistry.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I get put off when players don't play when they are getting paid! So Bettman is all put out when players don't play in the all star game. Yet last night how many players just sat because I guess they don't want to be injured before a trade.
They will do the same at the end of the year before the playoffs. The problem I have is that Joe fan has saved his pennies to finally get to a game and all players are not playing!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's an idea... let's keep scratching Nylander while we lose.

We WERE an elite team because of our depth at center. Now we're just a skilled young one-and-done.

Posted by: notfadeaway | March 4, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

James Mirtle:

Last year you'll recall things were pretty quiet early on, with the first deal coming at 10:30 when Bryce Salvador went to the Devils. By 1 p.m. there were eight trades made, a number that jumped to about 25 by the end of the day.

Expect a similar turn of events today. Most GMs hold out waiting for the best return they can get.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907,

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

828

you might not know it but StanleyCup1907 is a top rated troll. Please don't feed him.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I know it - he got me posting again... have been waiting for this loser that goes to other fans blogs to post. The other day, he was here for 4 hours posting away. Talk about no life... yikes! Man, if I had that many hours in a day to post at other teams blogs... well, I would be fat and jobless.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@Dizzy
I have friends in the city who are big fans and they say that as this long homestand has progressed that they are seeing the guys more and more at night after games and on days off. This, according to them, is happening more and more and later and later. These guys are young and popular. I understand the desire to "party" a little. I just am starting to wonder if they are going overboard a little. I as a long time Caps fan still remember the "limo" incident and hope we don't have a repeat. They have a great opportunity to do something special this year if they don't go in the tank. If it truly is the flu, great. If, however, it is something else then someone needs to address it and fix it! Maybe this is where the lack of a veteran captain/leader is a problem.

Posted by: BPTUCKER71 | March 4, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

was there. they tripped. They were smiling, but not dramatically celebrating

Posted by: fehrrocks | March 4, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Only in Washington are we going to get 2 page long dissertations on a goal celebration the coach wasn't happy with. Must be TD-day

Posted by: superpaqman | March 4, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'll let it go since nobody seems to care as much as I do that Fedorov, Semin and Morrisonn were unfairly attacked by fellow Caps fans, the coach and now our local media for something they didn't do - for slipping and falling. At least that AP article got it right.

That misguided 10-page thread on the washingtoncaps.com fan board is just pathetic and pissed me off. Players are apparently nothing more than objects to most fans. Ripping Fedorov? Seriously pathetic. He didn't even do anything. Neither did Semin or Morrisonn. Boudreau was wrong. Tarik was wrong. The majority of fans were wrong.

When the same type of thing happened to Ovechkin, people went nuts. I wonder what will happen if Cherry spouts something about this incident and uses our local media as evidence that he's not alone. I doubt anybody will be saying "let it go." All you need to do is go back a few threads for proof.

I was just trying to do the right thing but I don't want to be a windjammer and keep posting something nobody cares to read. The masses are only concerned with a few bad games and getting rid of players that they think suck. Who cares if our players, including a hockey legend, are being portrayed as idiots for something they didn't even do.

I apologize for trying to shove my opinion down your throats. I just hope the truth comes out about that incident yesterday, no matter how insignficant it was to most of you.

Have fun following the trades.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 4, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

828 so every person that attends a hockey game in Was.has money to throw away??? Nice

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 4, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

chill, it's not that no one cares, it's that we're more concerned about how they played than how they celebrated.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@_828
"Apparently you don't live near the Washington DC area. Unlike Pittsburgh, people have jobs here and can afford to go to sporting events."

HAHAHAHA

You owe me a new monitor and keyboard.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

There is no way we get Recchi, I wouldn't give up youth for him. I wouldn't even give up Semin and some picks for Pronger. I would give up some draft picks to Florida for Bouwmester.

Posted by: Caps73 | March 4, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

tmac2yao,
I am with you on the bashing of players. I hate it... this is my team - will support them with whatever. However, you gotta pick your battles. Bottom line - it does not matter what others - outside of you - feel about this team. I am proud of these guys... no matter what. You should be proud to. Don't get sucked into people that are trying to "sell papers" or get ratings. It is what it is. Alex did not see to care about this all and neither do I. As for the people posting on the blogs... well, as you know, people can be idiots. Try to pay attention to the ones you like and avoid the ones you can't stand. It's cool man! Everything is fine...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Seems like after Bruce called the Avalanche game a "stinker" I've seen that word over here a lot more than I ever have before.

Posted by: BigMogilny | March 4, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907,
Heck yeah man... people give money to homeless people just to get tickets... it's crazy! Just the other day, I saw someone blow their nose with a 100 dollar bill. Money is flowing down here. But, you would have known that had you lived here or even visited here.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@rocketsREDglare

Of all the post here this one of the most idiotic....

They were dishing out what? Their happiness at being skunked?

Perhaps you want to sit a little closer to the play, or better yet, stay home and watch the game on TV.

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Federov shouldn't have even raised his hands in the air, you are getting your a$$ handed to you. Just skate back to the bench. If you want to send a message to Carolina, send Brash out there to beat somebody down!

Posted by: Caps73 | March 4, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

There is no way the Caps can get back equal value for Semin. They have plenty of other expendable assets to get a reliable defenseman. It's cap space that's the problem, and Semin's cap hit is very decent this year and next.

The guy in WTimes who wrote about getting Pronger "even if it means giving up Semin " is just asinine. Sure, let's just become a one-line team (a line which was effectively contained in last year's playoffs, btw).. we'll rely on Ovechkin to score a goal in each playoff game, Theodore will stand on his head and we'll win every game 1-0 because of Pronger... Wtf??

Until another reliable secondary scorer emerges on this team (and neither Flash nor Fehr are close yet), Semin should be untouchable, IMO. He IS the Caps' secondary offense.

Posted by: VladG | March 4, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

TSN.ca draft commentator is picking Caps out of the East, IF they upgrade their goaltending with at least a good backup.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem calling Alzner up for good and packaging Schultzy and Nylander and some picks for a Dale Hunter-esque player and a number one D-man like a Bouwmester.

Posted by: Caps73 | March 4, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The Onion is reporting the Caps would have won last night game if it wasn't for those people skating in white sweaters interfering with the Caps play.
Tarik is following the story closely on the internet. Ask Jeeves is reporting that BB is upset with Nylander's play against the Canes.
...
Note: I don't believe one iota of what I wrote.

Posted by: opita1 | March 4, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

we live and die on the effort of our top players and when guys like Vechkin, Kozlov, Fedorov, Green play like dogsheeet than we're screwed. Laich said it best "it doesn't matter how much talent you have its the team who works hardest usually wins".

We also got outhit again. We have the least number of hits of any teams except for maybe Detroit. When I look at the event summaries for other games you routinely see the same teams put up 35-45 hits in every game and the caps are lucky to break 20. They only break 20 in losing efforts because they get embarassed and start trying to hit here and there. When they win a game they barely hit at all save the one or two exceptions. HIT you Daisies!

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

dakelly - doesn't matter what tsn says about our chances. A better goalie would still have problems behind this lousy defense. Lets not put a freaking bandaid on this problem by trying to upgrade at goalie. FIX THE D MC PHEE

FIX THE D MC PHEE!

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao:

I actually care too that the correct interpretation of last night's slip gets out there so that realistic concerns that this can be spun by Mr. Cherry and every Caps-hater out there decides to use this as fuel to paint a warped vision of Ovi, Federov, Semin, and Fleishmann.

I'm reading your posts but also agree, that Tarik will most likely put together a story to address this either today or in the next day or two after today's biggest news and that's whatever trades may go down today. For all we know, Katie's putting something together as we speak.

Thanks, though, for protecting the integrity of our players.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 4, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao-
fully agree with what you write, as i posted the same on the earlier thread. my only problem is that the caps management and beat writers were so presumptuous and didn't even ask the players themselves. i mean, what does it say about bruce's respect for these guys that he would blast them without speaking to them first?

hopefully TARIK will later ask them about it and fix his error of saying it was ovechkin and not semin out on the ice in his published article. talk about unnecessary bad print for ovechkin after last saturday.

Posted by: passerby | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse