Morning Reading List

4cdff8bc-0f57-4128-9c7f-fb8748a043e3.jpg
Gregory Smith--The Associated Press

The Capitals continued their trend of playing poorly against teams behind them in the standings, with perhaps their worst example of the season coming in last night's 5-1 loss to Atlanta, a team that began the game with 30 fewer points than Washington.

Here's the Washington Times recap along with the Thrashers' perspective from the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

With Alex Ovechkin poised to reach the 50-goal plateau for the third-straight season, how does he compare to Maurice Richard?

If you missed the game, here are the Atlanta-dominated highlights.

Panthers Cliff Notes
Florida has lost four of its past five games -- granted, two were shootout losses -- and are still fighting for the final playoff spot. Heading into tonight's game, they sit in ninth place, one point behind Carolina.

The Panthers' most recent loss, a 4-3 shootout defeat by the Lightning, taught Florida a lesson that the Capitals need to learn as well: Be wary of teams with nothing to lose.

Brian McCabe is expected to return tonight after missing three games with a broken nose and broken orbital bone. The Panthers are still without Nathan Horton after the forward severed a tendon in his finger.

Remember all that will they/won't they trade Jay Bouwmeester talk? Apparently Vancouver was the other team making a hard push for the defenseman in addition to Philadelphia.

In the System
Braden Holtby collected three awards, including MVP, at the Saskatoon Blades annual awards ceremony.

By Katie Carrera  |  March 17, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'It Was a Lot of Effort Issues'
Next: Green, Fedorov Expected to Return

Comments

first!

Posted by: r4e11 | March 17, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sad effort. They seem to turn it on and off. No way to be playing headed to the play offs. If this continues and a 1st round exit ensues,lots of questions will arise and it won't be pretty.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 17, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

I agree with cstanton1 from the last post. All us "negative people" said the same thing that BB said... cause it's the TRUTH. You can praise them when they play well and criticize them when they play like crap. I wish I could be as happy as some people are after a loss, but I'm can't.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 17, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

umm, it goes the other way too, there are a few on here who are negative/critical when we win also. A loss just makes it more convenient.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 17, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Lehtonen was hot but I think Caps had more scoring chances than Atlanta and didnt use them. Hope today will be different. Positive aspect of Fehr scoring makes me think that Flash and Laich are gonna score soon.

Posted by: Hazz | March 17, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Caps are THE worst shooting team in the league. Caps are great @ make goalies look like HOF goalies. What next? Probably another lackluster performance tonight.

Posted by: 555Mass | March 17, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

To quote Tarik: "They were out-hustled. They were outworked. They were dominated on faceoffs (winning only 29 percent in the first two periods). They didn't throw many hits (the score sheet credits them with eight all game, and that might be generous). The penalty kill didn't pressure the puck. And Lehtonen saw almost every shot that was flung in his direction." That doesn't exactly sound like a team contending for a Stanley Cup.

Posted by: stwasm | March 17, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Some stretch drive so far, huh windjammer? I'm sure glad you hyped it up so much! It really was a very productive use of your time. Thanks for the jinx, you putz.

Posted by: aaman4ever | March 17, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad I got pissed off at them and went to bed after the first period. Don't think I could have stomached watching two more periods of the same. This being said, they were without the only real veteran leadership on the team in Feds who may have shaken up the locker room a bit after the first if he would have been around.

One other thing.....Watching Nyls trying to win a faceoff is just painful!!!

Posted by: PhilR | March 17, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Well THANK GOD Kovalchuck wasn't playing in this game.

Posted by: CapsFan44 | March 17, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

It shows horribly when we don't have Federov on the ice. Miss the veteran leadership he brings and I think that is something we need to address in the offseason for sure.
They mightve had 49 shots, but 25 of those were WEAK SAUCE.

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

The last several weeks have shown the CAPS getting throughly handled by much weaker teams. is it time to panic?

Posted by: festus75 | March 17, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

When a guy claimed off waivers (Peverley) looks like Gretzky skating through your D like butter then there is a huge problem. Call it laziness, call it a bad game, call it what you will but it has happened way too frequently lately.

Posted by: PhilR | March 17, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did the CAPS start playing poorly when Alex Ovechkin stopped celebrating scoring goals. What happen to banging the glass after goals and excitement he generated celebrating. Now, he just raises a gloved hand in the air. I think the team feeds off of his energy. He needs to go back to Alex the Great. The team needs their leader to get excited again.

Posted by: avanbrunt1 | March 17, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

funny thing is, if some caps fan came on here and mentioned the exact same issues that Bruce outlined, you'd get some idiots (_828) on here calling them out for being "gloom and doomers".

Exactly what Bruce just mentioned has been discussed here past and present. By the FANS. An embarassing lack of effort, no intensity or hitting, and not covering the front of the net. But god forbid this gets commented on by mere hockey fans..

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 17, 2009 2:42 AM

Just because people are pretty good at repeating what the coaches and managers have said in the PAST, doesn't make the posters hockey experts. If they were, they would be coaching in the NHL and not blogging on CI. I am so sure the fans know more about hockey than those running this team.

Everyone knows that a lack of effort has been their problem for months now. I also hope that BB does something drastic before the playoffs start to send a message. What that is, I don't know because I am not a hockey expert. Maybe some of the "doom and gloomers" can enlighten us with their vast knowledge of professional hockey experience.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 17, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

No fingers need to be pointed at Ovechkin. He was the one Capital playing with passion and heart last night.

Posted by: Cerealman | March 17, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

rachel216,

I am with you. I am so grumpy after a loss, especially like the one last night. Thankfully though they can get back out there tonight to make amends, but all I see is a wasted 2 points.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 17, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I like (and I agree on) how BB is defending Theo.

BB nailed it, if we played the whole game like we did in the third, there's no way they'd gotten 4 goals.

On the other hand, it's a bit worrisome (for the playoffs) to have played with that intensity for 20 minutes and have nothing to show for it. And again, BB is right, it wasn't Lehto, it was not crashing the net.

We need redemption tonight :D

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

That was a horrid team performance last night - all aspects. There, done with that.

As pointed out a few threads ago, a good number of the top five teams in the league are putting up some unimpressive results. I might guess that once you have a playoff place wrapped up, easily, that it's hard to get up every game - and Atlanta with a half-empty building isn't one of them.

Let me ask these questions: during what game of significance this season, against a top team, have the Caps not played a focused, intense game? How many times does that happen? I'd say it's less then three -the December Philly game might meet the mark but they came out blasting in that one. Here's the second part of the quiz: Do we think we are going to be playing Atlanta in a seven-game series? Or the Avalanche? or the Kings? And if we were, do you think we'd lose that series? Third part: Do we really think there will be an issue of getting up for playoff games come April? Against the Rangers, Habs, Pens, Canes, or Panthers?

If you answered yes to any of those questions then the season is indeed over. Otherwise, relax a bit. It's St. Paddy's Day. Head out for a green beer tonight and catch the Caps v. Panthers.

It's all going to be fine.

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Two friends and I were at the game in ATL last night. We bought nosebleed seats ... but once we got inside, some swell guy GAVE us three tickets in Section 117. Awesome!

My friends and I had painted our faces red and brought a huge "OVIE 50" sign ... just waiting for our passionate Russian to score his 50th goal last night. Sadly, it never happened.

Instead, we got to witness -- from a much closer perspective than we expected -- the worst hockey game I've been to and possibly the worst performance by the Capitals this year. What an embarrassment ... to be surrounded by fans of that pitiful Thrashers team and be subjected to seeing Atlanta completely outworking our Capitals.

Posted by: Cerealman | March 17, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if Katie or anyone posted this before...good interview with Karl Alzner:

Posted by: tess2201 | March 17, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

We were unable to win faceoffs or get the puck out of our zone and into theirs. Can anyone say Sergei Fedorov and Mike Green? Still not time to panic. We have third place sewn up, and the most important thing is to go into the playoffs rested.

Theodore was terrible last night. His positioning was awful--too deep and occasionally off his angles. That's the biggest playoff worry. Which Theo will we see?

Posted by: Kirg | March 17, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin didn't turn it on until it was too late, though. And Semin had a bad 1st period, too. Say what you will about the Caps bad effort last night, but I defy any of you to tell me that any of those saves on Ovechkin were easy. He was shooting at every opportunity, and shooting hard -- he didn't suffer from his whiffing syndrome nearly as badly last night as he has been. The Caps may not have been great, but Lehtonen was better than "good."

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | March 17, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope the live game chat happens again, I read it afterwards and it looked like alot of fun..

Thanks to all at the Post that have made this happen.. and the coverage of this team has been incrediable... To Tarik, Katie and Lindsy, I thank you.... I remember back in the 80's and seeing coverage on the Caps that dealt with thier opponent instead of the likes of Gartner or in the early 90's instead of articles on Dino it was on Mario!

Please Wash Post,, Keep it up for years to come!!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | March 17, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Lets just start the playoffs now. We obviously dont want to get hurt..save our legs...and get ready for the seven game series.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 17, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

saintex

I "partially" agree with your argument.

However: how about all the Caps fans going to games against these "lesser" teams? Is it wrong to expect the third team in the conference to at least "bring it on" these games? How many times fans had to "excuse" or "explain" the Caps to others?

About the "partially" above. I agree that the Caps definitely step it up against strong teams, I'm not arguing with that. What I'm worried about is that this attitude, this lack of killer instinct, coupled with inability to crash the net at will, might come back to haunt us even in the playoffs.

I know, I'm doom and gloom, but I'm still a fan :)

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Outhustled end of story. Atlanta came out fired up with nothin' to lose and most of the Caps looked like they were sleep walking.

Perfect example is looking at the PK, give up three goals on the first four ATL PP's, that is ridiculous.

I agree with BB though and won't put this on Theo, he's been bailing out this teams lazy play quite often and he can't be making legendary saves every night.

Atlanta seemed to have the luck last night as well. Think that Caps had a couple shots ring off the wrong side of the iron in the first period only to have ATL come back and hit one on the inside of it.

Once again, similar to the Philthy game, after the initial push by the Caps is neutralized (start of the game they looked good) and the opposition gets a couple on the board the team just seems to deflate.

/end rant

Posted by: CapManJ | March 17, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

@mauree,

True enough on the fans paying money for the games and not getting "fair worth".

Also, true enough about the worries on crashing the net, etc. But, there is killer instinct there and we've all seen it this season. They way I see it, the real work will start when the opening round of the playoffs is complete. I've said before that I don't think the Habs, Rangers, or Panthers pose an opening threat. Of course, the Pens are coming on a would be an epic opening series - that's changed. The Eastern semis are going to be mammoth and I honestly believe that of the Top 5 teams in the conference, it's a toss-up. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I have no illusion that they'll have to play fantastic hockey to advance deep in the playoffs but I think they can do it.

We can talk all day about the "worst shooting % in the league", the "worst defense" and "worst goalie ever" stuff but the facts remain that the Caps GA/G is better than Detroit's or Calgary's. Worse than some lower level teams, but generally on par with the league average.

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

for all of those "Feds isn't worth his 4 mil" folks......Seems to me he's earned it. Here's hoping he's back tonight & signed for another year. The team (and not just the young Russians) NEED him.

Posted by: seryogaSone | March 17, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@CTcapsfan

Bingo. I'm a huge 1st amendment guy, and when people jump me for saying something, I'm just gonna intensify whatever it was and keep it coming. If you wanna come on here and jump the Caps, you have every right. It shows you care, and although I'm a little too hopeful because I believe we have a dynasty-decade coming up (so I don't post much negative), I think we need the attacks to keep us on our toes, gives us perspective, and bring us back down to Earth.

At this point, I'm a little exhausted with the "slump," claim. We have all the talent in the world, but we are flat-out sucking right now. The only thing that matters is the "W" or "L" column, and we have not been finding the "W" much lately. We need to stop making excuses and say, "Our team is sucking arse lately. I'm not gonna blame ice, injuries, all-star goalies, refs, lucky shots, or lack of motivation due to crowd size anymore--the truth is that we are a lackluster team of late, and if people don't want to accept that truth, eff 'em."

Good post.

Posted by: wutzthedeal | March 17, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Incredibly embarrasing...especially on national TV. Bad habits are hard to break this time of the year. We looked like the Wizards last night- that is the worst thing I've said all year!!!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 17, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, a bad game.

We're going to stomp Florida flat tonight.

Posted by: _jordan | March 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Here's a piece of advice. Make everyone, and I mean everyone, PRACTICE from here on out.

These practices that allow players off or non-mandatory crap has got to stop.

Oh, and not going out and getting veteren leadership at the trade deadline was the worst McPhee could have done for this team. Going after Bouwmeester and Pronger shows a lack of effort. Hell everyone was trying to go after those guys. It was an impossible task to start.

Posted by: blanknerc | March 17, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Also, those third sweater that Atlanta wore last night are way better than either of their normal sweaters. They should make a permanent change...

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think this post's picture totally represents the game last night? The ATL goalie is working, that ATL defenseman in the background is posed to move and strike, Brooksy is sort of skating by like I skate - afraid I'm going to fall down and hurt myself and using the stick to hold myself upright. Just saying. I'm guessing Katie had some covert meaning in selecting this shot.

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

From previous post.

After painfully watching the game last night, part of the team looked drained. I could be wrong but I've seen them play down to lower teams the past 2 months, but last night this entire team looked different.

It could be a lack of effort, or some of these guys are sick and are not saying anything about it, which I think is worse for the team. IMO.

It's getting close to the playoffs and this entire team needs to be healthy, alert and focused if they want to make it to the finals. We've all seen what this team can do when focused and playing as a team. I honestly believe they can beat any team if they want bad enough.

So here's to the final 11 games, we'll find out how bad this team really wants it.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 17, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:35 AM
---

Lost whatever credibility you might have had with that one!

Posted by: _jordan | March 17, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I have been pretty hard on the caps, saying things like they just aren't that good.

But maybe they are pretty good, but maybe they have taken their foot off the gas. For all intents and purposes they have won their division going away. Its been clear for a while now they are not going to catch the Bruins for the Conference lead. The Caps have nothing to play for right now. Why keep running after you catch the bus?

The question is, can they turn it on again come playoff time. If history is any guide, the answer is "no". But even if the Caps can turn it on a bit and somehow make it out of the first round of the playoffs, the Caps simply do not have the goaltending to make a deep run in the playoffs.

To do that, you need a *dominating* goaltender. The Caps have nothing even approximating that. The Caps have fair to middling goaltending. You can't get blood out of a turnip.

You also need pretty stout defense. The Caps defense is average.

The Caps have made some noise this season, to be sure. They have won some games. They have the best player since Wayne Gretzky. But they are missing some pretty big pieces needed to get anywhere near the top.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 17, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

blancnerc,

Do we need to go through this again? Were you next to GMGM during the trade deadline? How do you know he did not pursue "teamleaders"? As I recall, he was in pursuit of other players such as BG. I would not be surprised if he made calls about Recchi. But guess what, I was not there either so I don't know. Neither do you.

Let's get a "teamleader" that will be here for 3 months and give up our future.

That story is done. Please, let's move on.

The "teamleader" must come from within. Maybe that is the issue. Who is going to take that role?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 17, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@_jordan,

I hate ATL's normal unis so anything is a step up.

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Tess: Thanks for the link. Nice interview with Alzner.

Posted by: uncatim | March 17, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@Ron16,

What do you mean by "if history is any guide" in response to turning it on come playoff time? What are you talking about? If your "history" is the 80s or 90s then that can be thrown out. The only "history" for this team and these players is last season and they turned it on over the last 13 games to make the playoffs and lost in OT of game 7 to the Flyers. What, exactly, is so wrong about that? This team won't lose in the first round. No promises beyond that....

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Panthers 4~2 caps are playing with no fire and it's going to haunt them come playoff time. Seen it before.

Posted by: diner99 | March 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@diner99

When? No fire in a seven-game series vs. Philly last year? You're right, that was a pathetic effort. I think they lost the series seven games to zero. I've, too, have seen it before. I remember back in 1992.....

blah blah blah

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

diner99

let's not throw the towel for tonight's game yet :D

If the Caps play like they did in Nashville or Philly, they can win tonight. Those two games we were crashing the net and play very focused defensively.

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget: the Thrashers kicked our butts 7-4 here in ATL in the season opener (I was there for that one, too) when the Caps clearly were not ready for the season to start. This trend of playing down to our competition and dropping games to weaker teams is nothing new. It began from Game 1.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | March 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | March 17, 2009 9:49 AM

If we had won last night we would have closed to with 5 points of the Bruins having played the same games and we would have gone above the Devils by a point, albeit having played 3 games more.

I don't think we could beat both the Devils and Bruins to the top spot, but we still have a shot at catching one of them for 2nd.

Well, providing we stop phoning in efforts like last night we have a chance.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 17, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I love ATL's third jersey: code red in Blueland! Caps need one too: bring back the black one with the Capitol logo - that one was cool.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | March 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Lets hope Feds is back tonight. Thats a long lay-off for the Flu.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't have any real desire to expend a ton of effort to catch either the Bruins or the Devils. Would it be nice, sure? But home-ice advantage isn't the be all, end all in the NHL playoffs - or any other professional league. A good example in the NBA are the Spurs - Pops only feels the need to have a opening round at home, otherwise, no big deal.

I'm not saying BB doesn't want them to play hard but winning the division is the only thing that matters in the regular season.

But, if they play poorly again tonight, I'd be pissed if for no other reason that I want them to win every game. It's the nature of the fan.

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I haven't read any of the posts above, but obviously the Caps stunk last night. One major reason is the Thrashers play the same system as us. Like in basketball, teams that press, don't like to be pressed. You have a team in the Thrashers playing the same system, just working harder at it and on a 5 game winning streak coming into the game. To me a struggle was expected last night. Of our 50 shots, if 37 of them weren't right into Kari's stomach the game could have been different.

Floriday they don't play the same style. They play defense first hockey and look to counter once in a blue moon. That normally allows us to get our forecheck going and when we do that our intensity level is better. The boys will come out tonight and get a victory.

Posted by: ThePat | March 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree with UK Dave, 2nd is reachable.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Apparently I am an idiot for supporting the team and not complaining about them when they lose a game. They won 5 in a row on the road - you want 6, maybe 15 in a row? They won 3 straight games, you want 15 straight games... maybe 82 straight wins?
I never said there wasn't any problems. In fact, I said all the problems we have are up to BB to fix... because I have no control over it.
I have real expectations for this team - they are young and will make mistakes. But, they are learning.
Most of you are calling for Theo's head - yep, BB is saying the same:
"I'm sick and tired of him bailing our team out and him not getting the support that he deserves," Boudreau said. "You look at his goals against or save percentage and you say it should be better. But when you have to stop goals like that first goal [where] four guys just waved their stick at the guy, what are you supposed to do?"
I'm done with this blog - it's depressing. People cry about the team when it loses and jump on the wagon when they win. Same with the players - they bash Semin one month and then the next month they buy his jersey.
Have fun changing the team with your comments - it might just work. I feel sorry for all the negative people out there - your life must suck. The Caps have done really well this year and yet they are young and learning. They will make mistakes and they WILL NOT win every game. Get used to it!
I will leave you with this last thought: Maybe this year wasn't the year to become a Caps fan... maybe next year?

Posted by: _828 | March 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:40 AM

If you can tell what just happened Brooks actually serving as a screen. His eyes closing is probably an involuntary muscle action because he is purposely standing in the way of a Jurcina slapshot. At least that is what it looks like to me.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Jordan - Saintex is right. The third ATL jersey is far superior to the other two. As for a 3rd for the Caps, I want the same as we have now but in blue. I can't wear red and the only white jersey I ever had I ruined the first time I wore it (chili dog).

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 17, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Again, the Caps get wiped by a team that the see in their rear view mirrors. Let’s see…high seeds in the playoffs are matched against teams in their rear view mirrors. Anybody got a case of first round jitters?

Posted by: ken_nickell | March 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Have anyone noticed how hard the Caps play the teams that look like they will make it to the playoffs?

Just an observation, but REALLY check how the caps play Florida tonight, it's as if they are reading these teams to see what they are up against in the playoffs.

The caps have already beaten the top 7 teams in the eastern conference as well as Detroit.

BB also stated that he knows what the teams in the SE division is doing every minute of a game.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the game tonight, but to those who will be watching, pay attention to how the team plays. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm not even going to bother reading any of your posts before I even respond. Those of you who've decided to crap on our team while they're down, well down. You guys are an embarrassment. Quit acting like spoiled children. They lost. It is never more apparent to them than it is to us. Unfortunately, we can wake up tomorrow and only feel remotely crappy. Them? They gotta' wake up tomorrow, s*ck it up, and head off to another game. Once you're all done wallowing in your own self-pity, quit your whining and get it together to root them on against the Panthers.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 16, 2009 11:53 PM

From last night before I went to bed. Seems like some of us are still feeling sorry for ourselves. Again, s*ck it up and hope that they get it together for tonight. If they don't, I'm putting it on you numbnuts who insist on going through life with a sour look on your faces and a negative outlook on our team.

Let's GOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 17, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 16, 2009 11:53 PM

Let's GOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Say it aint so 828. You, JSchon, Mauree and Sombrero are some of the few reasonable posters left. Wait, I haven't heard from the other three very often lately....did they go to the Times???

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

waitingsince75, I am friends with JSchon and Sombrero - they have been run off too. They have posted here and there, but a lot less frequent since some of these people came on board. Sombrero is over at Japers - probably where I am going.

Posted by: _828 | March 17, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

47th!!! Poti had his worst game all year, he should be -10 for that crap! What are we going to do about Nylander? 4 1/2 Million for that? We need to buy him out asap. No passing skills, no scoring skills, and no veteren leadership! I mean most of the time I have troubled telling if he is playing for us or them!

Posted by: majiksea | March 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@majiksea

I guess you forget the brilliant pass he had to Backstrom the other night. You all are so shortsighted it is crazy. Bandwagon fans I'll take as long as they have common sense, which it appears most people posting on here now do not.

Posted by: ThePat | March 17, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

ref: avanbrunt1

it's just you..he only celebrates when we are winning -- lately we have dug holes for ourselves and there is no reason to get excited

Posted by: capsgary | March 17, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Japers is ok, the general level of hockey knowledge is probably better there than here... but they never miss a chance to be arrogant about it, for example insulting THIS blog, which I find distasteful and hurts the site credibility. Also, they rely way too much on numbers to judge players. Nevertheless, I post there as well, good hockey knowledge and not much BS.

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

828, hate to see you go.

With you, Sombrero and JSchon posting less, the collective IQ of the blog has dipped in a big way.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 17, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat,

Nyls brilliant pass the other night was his season in a nutshell. It was VERY nice, but yet another example of passing up the shot for *any* other option (pass, dump in the corner, skate in circles for a while). 9 times out of 10 it hasn't been working out for him.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 17, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, that was a tough game last night. Fine. If they don't respond by stepping it up tonight against Florida, then I will be more disappointed. They have had a great season, but lost focus in a few games against lesser teams. I still expect to be enjoying a great playoff run. I believe this team is capable and I have incredible trust in coach BB. The worst thing about a performance like last night is knowing that people like puckguru wake up and remember this blog is here. They have nothing to contribute and their silence when things are going well, which is most of the time, speaks volumes.

Posted by: _Mark | March 17, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow, it's a warzone in here!!! The team still has 11 games remaining and is only two points away from their TOTAL of last year. Am I tired of them showing up for some games and not for others....yes....but will I say this team sucks and will lose in the first round of the playoffs....no! They are young and still learning how to play on a consistent level....we have what we have and should be ecstatic about it as they are most likely the most exciting team in hockey when they are on their game.

Posted by: PhilR | March 17, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

What? Nylander apologists?

The veteran is lazy and misses many opportunities. For example, he fanned on a shot attempt at the half-empty net.

And then I screamed from Section 117, "Nylander, get off the ice!"

There's no bandwagon here. I'll be rooting for the Capitals tonight against Florida. But I'm irked at the heartless effort they put forth last night.

Posted by: Cerealman | March 17, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@GusDaMan

That is how Nylander has played his whole career. If you don't like it you don't like it but don't expect it to all the sudden change. He has put up seasons at a pace of a PPG before playing exactly like it. No one on the team has had more linemates then him this season and having consistency in linemates is very important to the way he plays. If you just put him on the 3rd line and leave him there with Flash and Fehr he would put up some points. Would it be what the posters on here want, no probably not, because 3 points per game from every player on the roster is crazy.

Posted by: ThePat | March 17, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

i think that was the last thing valabek wanted to do last night was piss Ovie off with that slash. he looked like he was facing a team filled with malkins (pre makeup) and was trying to destroy them all

Posted by: _stevo | March 17, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

8 hits and terrible faceoffs...that pretty much sums it up.

Gotta forecheck to win games and go to the net-sacrifice your body...a consistant problem that hopefully gets fixed come April.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 17, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@section117

i knew that comment would end up over there at some point, but dang, that was quick!

Posted by: fullright | March 17, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

So long to ya'll that can't seem to read negative stuff...everyone is entitled to their opinions be it wrong- right-intelligent- or ignorant. It's a blog! Grow up and stop being babies!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 17, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

luckily, not putting forth top effort against bad opponents will not be a problem in the playoffs. It sure sucks for the fans at/watching the games though.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 17, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@117

You taking out of contest my personal opinion. You could at least quote the whole sentence lol.

Anyway I'd appreciate if you remove it from your signature.

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@section117

Posted by: fullright | March 17, 2009 11:36 AM

Huh?

Posted by: Section117 | March 17, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Just some concerns and observations:

1-where is Karl Alzner, we have to get him ready for a playoff run. he is young but quaterbacks from the blue line in a offensive play very well. I think one of our major problem is that we are not talking it up on the ice. know one can read each others minds. Karl also has a great nack for mucking it up in the front of the net. GMGM said that these kids are to be the new faces of the organization, if they are then why is he not using them...

2- We have to get in front of the net. the only goal that we got last night was when we were in front of the net mucking it up. If you don't play hard then don't play.

3- the last point brings me to this one. What the HELL is Schultz doing out there. It has been a downward spirl for him since the first year on the team. he has gotten lazy. Some where along the line he must have gotten really badly injuried from hitting someone. If we are going to keep him we need to train him to ht harder again. I will give BB a little credit on this at least there has been some marked improvementsover the past couple of weeks.

4- More time for Varly, not that Theo is bad at his job but the poor guy needs a break he has played almost every game since Johnny was scratched. Since Johnny is not going to be back in time for the playoffs I think that we need to start putting some experience on those boys.

5- Mike Green and Feds are not allowed to hangout anymore, getting each sick is just not cool. (just a joke people). Mike, feds, OVie, Semins, and Backs are looking good but they are not were the plays need to come from right now cause everybody is looking for them to do something. so they are going to get shut down often. Fehr and Flash need to play a little more give and go to make more goals. Brads needs to level more people get in front of the play more often, when he does we seem to shut down the play.

6- Final point for god sake some one take the body. to many time we loss the puck in the defensive zone because we are to busy trying to strip the puck and not just leveling the other teams rusher. Take it to the body more often and the puck will end up in our hands.

ok thats my rant for the day> LETS GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | March 17, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

No I have not forgotten ONE good pass, and I have not forgotten the games he sat with his 4 1/2 mil in the pressbox either. If he was making 1 million, I would never mention him, but he is making 4 1/2 million so he needs to be better or he needs to be gone.

Posted by: majiksea | March 17, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Farmer, Lazner is NOT coming back up. With Pothier back we have an extra d'man and don't need him. But beyond that even, he has played 38 games if he plays 2 more NHL games we lose a year to free agancy and there is no way they are going to give up a year on a kid who can be this good. Think of it this way, we lose a few games where he could learn and MIGHT help, but we gain a year when he is lights out good.

Posted by: majiksea | March 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Alzner is not coming up either, for the same reasons.

Posted by: majiksea | March 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I am as disappointed as everyone else when the Caps lose. But, lets put this into perspective. I survived the first Caps season (8 wins). How many of you remember that? For all you whiners...want some cheese?

Posted by: nimrodrsp | March 17, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon:

It is understood that everyone is entitled to their opinions on this blog but if you could consider that a number of people who post here are fans who are defensive about the team so anything that reeks of insults and derogatory comments about anyone on the team, yeah, the posters' credibility gets diminished. I think a player can perform less than expected and not be an idiot, worthless, or a candidate to be tossed into the Bermuda Triangle to never be heard of again. It's THOSE kind of comments that just get old.

Make an insightful critique of the game, their skills, and the bad moves they made on the ice. That's fair game. Calling anyone in the organization an idiot because they do anything that the poster woulda' done, coulda' done, shoulda' done is just frustrating and exudes delusions of grandeur that are baseless and irritating. It's bad enough we gotta' deal with trolls on our sight when the Caps have a bad game but to get it from the other Caps "fans" of the doom and gloom kind deserve to get their collective a$$es handed to them for the same reasons we chase off the trolls.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 17, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | March 17, 2009 6:41 AM

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 17, 2009 6:56 AM

Frankly, a team can WIN and still play poorly at times. And a team can LOSE and still play well. Criticism shouldn't depend SOLELY on wins and losses but on individual plays within a game regardless of wins and losses. When you ignore bad habits just because you pulled out a win...well thats not a winning aggressive mentality that an organization needs to adopt.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 17, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 17, 2009 12:51 PM

i feel the same disdain about caps fans who excuse anything and everything when the team pulls out a win.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

LeftCaps: "Make an insightful critique of the game, their skills, and the bad moves they made on the ice. That's fair game"

I see a lot of insightful critiques from the "gloom and doomers". Some fans just find it easier to label other fans instead of acknowledging that there is insightful critique being bandied about here.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: I've seen my share of posters who could constructively critique the game but still come out accepting our team and staying motivated that tomorrow's another day, move on. Lately, people are sounding like spoiled children when their expectations aren't met and feel that the Capitals owe us anything. When we buy a ticket, when we choose to support them, we take the risk that there's a slight chance that they'll lose. For us to feel like we're entitled to them winning every game, then we're setting ourselves up for disappointment (as some people seem to be doing) and feel justified in all the negativity they put into their posts.

I think it's more realistic that we take the lumps like adults. Make the critiques that are warranted. Express your frustrations, sure. People cross the line when they start calling the team idiots or stupid because of a bad play. People calling a player worthless and not worthy of their contract? They should take partial blame because even $5 of that contract was made possible by the ticket holder. So if you're going to call out the GM and everyone in the organization for holding a player's contract who doesn't appear to be contributing, that person should also be held accountable since he/she paid for a ticket, bought food, paid for parking. They're just as liable, wouldn't they?

Too long of a post. Sorry. =X

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

re:

@Ron16,

Posted by: saintex | March 17, 2009 9:54 AM

1) What I mean is NHL history in general. Teams that peak too early, as the Caps have, usually do not do that well in the playoffs.

2) I am glad the team turned it around last year. But this year they are fading down the stretch instead of peaking. Not a good sign. Though as I said I *hope* its just a case of the Caps taking their foot off the gas as they really have nothing to play for. They have pretty much won the division, and they are not going to catch the Bruins.

3) Yeah they gave Philly a good series last year, and if you are happy with getting beat in the playoffs instead of winning the cup, fine, enjoy the mediocrity. Nobody remembers who crashed out in the first round of the NHL playoffs. People remember the winner of the Cup.

The idea is to win the Stanley Cup. Any of the players will tell you that. My main point, which by your admission escaped you, was that this year's Caps do not have the requisite pieces to win the Cup. So, all indications are that this is just another of many Caps teams that win some games in the regular season and then play a lot of golf instead of hockey in the post season.

Been there, done that.