Morning Reading List: Giroux Sets Hershey Record

(Luis M. Alvarez -The Associated Press)

With the Capitals off for two straight days this weekend, it was a good time to take a look at Oskar Osala, who played in his second NHL game Friday, and where the young forward with a knack for finding the front of the net might fit in the organization.

Over at The Washington Times, Corey Masisak examined the Capitals' melting-pot team and how the Russian contingent has come to define so much, both on the ice and off. Check the full story out here.

If you haven't already seen it, here are the Caps' least favorite road cities. Can you guess what they said?

In the System
Hershey snagged two out of three games this weekend, beginning with a Michal Neuvirth-led 4-0 shutout of Binghamton on Friday.

On Saturday, the Bears thrashed Bridgeport in a 7-2 win, but the notable moment came as Alex Giroux set the franchise's season-single goals record with his 54th tally of the year.

The weekend ended on a sour note, though, as Hershey fell, 1-0, to the rival Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins yesterday.

The Bears will be without Graham Mink at least for the rest of the regular season after breaking his hand during a fight against Bridgeport.

Braden Holtby and the Saskatoon Blades are facing elimination tonight in Game 5 of their WHL Eastern Conference quarterfinal. Check out a story on Holtby's hybrid style here.

The Calgary Hitmen have already advanced to the second round, marking the first time that Joel Broda passed the first round since 2004 during his bantam hockey days.

Frozen Four
The Frozen Four is now set after a weekend full of upsets and last-minute drama put Boston University, Vermont, Miami of Ohio and Bemidji State on the road to Verizon Center.

Of the three Capitals prospects in the 16-team field, only freshman Andrew Glass remains with top-seeded Boston U after the Terriers defeated New Hampshire yesterday. UNH and Caps 2007 round draft pick Phil DeSimone stunned Joe Finley and North Dakota 6-5 in the first round to advance.

To catch up on all the action you missed this weekend, head to Inside College Hockey. Here are a smattering of links to get you started.

• East Region: Two overtimes and a video review later it was Vermont 3-2 over Air Force.

• Northeast Region: Boston U. makes its first appearance in the Final Four since 1997 after a 2-1 win over New Hampshire.

• West Region: The Miami RedHawks make their Frozen Four debut after a 2-1 win against Minnesota-Duluth.

• Midwest Region: Bemidji State extended its Cinderella run, defeating Cornell to seal their trip to Washington after knocking off Notre Dame in the first round.

By Katie Carrera  |  March 30, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Russia Hoping to Reunite Its 'Washington Line'
Next: Varlamov Recalled

Comments

Great video piece. I got a kick out of it, but if I got a kick out of it it must be a long stretch between games. c'mon wednesday

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Kitty:
I posted a response to you last night, but it was held by the moderators (assumably because it was a bit of a dissertation). I don't know if it will be released or not, but I have included the first and last paragraphs below (in the next post). If you want to read all of the garbage in between, just let me know - I can either retry, post in pieces or we could connect via email.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 30, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Kitty - per the former, from the previous:

Thanks for the clarification. That's interesting ... the longtime fans whom I know (myself included) certainly don't feel like that (i.e. we were here before you, we know all, we have endured more than you, you're not part of the crew, go away). I welcome new fans and in fact take great pleasure in "converting" new fans. Furthermore, I always do my best not to resort to name calling or telling people to go away (although I sometimes want to! ;-)). I welcome all perspectives and, for that reason, I do believe that I used to be considered as a bit of a peacekeeper around here (folks - correct me if I'm wrong). I don't appreciate those who are disrespectful, who maliciously attack others and who get personal when we are all here to talk hockey. That does not mean that I never disagree with anyone here, but I try to do so respectfully (and actually consider some of those whom I have disagreed with the most to be good friends). It also does not mean that I view the team through rose colored glasses. To the contrary, I have been accused of being too critical from time to time myself (right, mauree?).

It's unfortunate that my comments about fair weather fans were interpreted to be anything more than they were. I believe (but I could be wrong) that a lot more was read into them than is really there (not just by you, but also by others). Heck, I think there may even be some assumptions out there about my age now which are not accurate. But that's what happens when we communicate in cyberspace - a lot is lost in translation (after all, something like 80% of communication is non-verbal). Nonetheless, I stand by my comments about fair weather fans, as I do everything that I post. I go out of my way to make sure that anything I write is something that I would be willing to say face-to-face to anyone here or in front of those people whose opinions about me matter the most. My comments today (yesterday) are no exception.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 30, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Girl fight, girl fight, girl fight!!!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 30, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Correct, you're always ready to criticize on Theo :p
hehe joking, joking! *ducks*

btw I'm pretty sure that kittypawz wasn't referring to you in particular, or that you were referring to kittypawz in particular for that matter.

In both the "newbies" and "veteran" fans groups there are people that know a lot and are very smart, and other that know less but are still passionate. Then there are the people that don't know much but think they do, and want to "win" the blog. I say we discriminate against this last group :p

Posted by: mauree | March 30, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
Back to your room.

mauree:
I knew you would say that!

:-P

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 30, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Uhhhh....so......How 'bout that Alexander Giroux?? !!

Posted by: aybee27 | March 30, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Hershey Bears game against Bridgeport when Giroux got his 53rd and 54th. Great game! Both he and Aucoin had incredible nights. It was my first time at a Bears game, but was definitely worth the 2 hour drive...I'll definitely go back! I suggest any who haven't gone make the trip!

Yay Bears! Congrats Giroux!

Posted by: bludahliagrl21 | March 30, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Caps have plenty of Alexes. They need an Oskar!

Posted by: redlineblue | March 30, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Boo:
I haven't posted lately, but I want you to know that I have your back in this discussion? - argument? - disagreement?

I keep up with most of the comments despite not posting myself. I honestly can't think of any time you were ever disrespectful of anyone here.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | March 30, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

3 more pts !

Posted by: RedRocker | March 30, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Bad news about Mink. Go Bemidji State!

Posted by: uncatim | March 30, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Boo! What he said.

Posted by: uncatim | March 30, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

in any other circumstance I would have to root for Bemidji St., but my family is originally from SW ohio and my sister went to Miami, so Go Redhawks!!! (and they are a 4 seed as well, so they are almost as big underdogs)

Posted by: doncosmic | March 30, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Right on Boo! I third that notion

Posted by: CapsFan21 | March 30, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I absolutely love the video of the Caps talking about their least favorite road city. And as a Philly resident, it is obvious to me who they're talking about. . . and they're absolutely right! The Wachovia Center is truly in the middle of nowhere, it's about an hour away from DB's casino's, and most of the hotels suck. I've posted on Facebook for all my Philly friends. Most of the Flyers actually live in New Jersey.

Posted by: bucknelldad | March 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

OK can somebody let me know who said what on the laest fave road city? was the deletions for real or to be "cute".I have always heard carolina was the least fave because arena middle of nowhere, nothing to do in city either.
I would appreciate someone listing players and their choices.

Posted by: peabody2 | March 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

echoing the comments of a couple of other posters, does anyone have any idea whether or not we will be able to see this video on least favorite road cities without the censoring? I thought a lot of the guys appeared to name Edmonton, but who knows?

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure they are all (or most) saying Buffalo. Here is why: These are the things they use to describe the city and are all applicable to buffalo:

-greasy city
-no good food
-Chop house
-Snowed in
-Biggie: Theo got a Concussion there and the city he said is where he got a concussion
-and if you look at how they move their mouths, it looks like buffalo

Phoenix is the other popular one:

Brash talks about the casinos being too far away, Las Vegas is 250 miles

Juice says they have only been a few times

Jobbing.com arena is in the middle of no where

Posted by: QuintenD | March 30, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse