Morning Links: Alzner Ready to Fight for Spot

(Getty Images)

His name has been thrown about as a near-lock to crack the Caps' roster next season, but blueliner Karl Alzner isn't going into camp overconfident. From Canwest News Service:

"There's young guys that come up every year that are skilled," he said recently as he headed home to his parents' place in Burnaby after a workout session. "That's the reason why they're drafted.
"(The Capitals) have one guy (defenceman John Carlson) that was born in 1990 and he's unbelievable. Doesn't matter how many games I have in the NHL, he's just got to play better than me at camp and he's going to be the one that's going to play all the games this year.
"There's no reassurance to me that I've played 30 games. I'm still going into (fall) camp like I've played zero. I'm still trying to make a name for myself."

A few more links this morning:

* Bruce Boudreau's book, "Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer," goes on sale today.

* The Hockey News ranks the Caps' jerseys as 13th-best in the league: "Caps went updated throwback for sartorial success."

* Jim Balsillie wants to probe the rationale behind the NHL owners' rejection of him as an owner of the Coyotes.

* Behind the scenes at the NHL 2K10 commercial shoot.

* Just for fun, let's take a field trip through the wonderful SI Vault. Destination: January 09, 2006.

Like a magnum of Dom Perignon on a shelf of package-store plonk, a discouraged Alexander Ovechkin stood among his Washington Capitals teammates on a late November night in the visitors' locker room at Madison Square Garden. Minutes earlier the Capitals had finally succumbed to the New York Rangers in a 15-round shootout that was about as long as According to Jim but far more entertaining. Having missed Washington's first shootout shot, snapping a personal streak of 4 for 4, the team's star had had ample time to brood.
When quizzed about his deke, his shoulder-dip and the shot that clattered off Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist's glove, Ovechkin blurted a four-letter word that he surely didn't pick up from the copies of The Hockey News his agent used to send to Moscow after Ovechkin was drafted No. 1 in June 2004. Then he added, "The ice was terrible, but I wanted to get the puck up more, and that was a great play by Lundqvist. My mistake."
In a pithy 10 seconds, that was the essential Ovechkin: accountable, candid, colloquial. You certainly wouldn't hear the NHL's other glam rookie, the circumspect Sidney Crosby, toss out a public postgame obscenity.
Now this is not another referendum on which first-year phenom is better. The comparisons between Crosby, a magical 18-year-old surrounded by accomplished scorers on the slothful Pittsburgh Penguins, and Ovechkin, a 20-year-old jewel on a team brimming with effort but light on talent, are facile and not terribly enlightening. Playmaker versus scorer, conduit versus steamroller, Magic versus Bird, yada yada yada versus blah blah blah.
As Ovechkin said, in his improving English, over dinner the night before his Garden debut, "Sometimes I think about Crosby, and sometimes I don't think about Crosby. Right now I don't think about him because he is he and I am I." Perfect.

(The Russian Evolution, by Michael Farber)

(Toni L. Sandys - The Washington Post)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  August 11, 2009; 9:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morgan Grew Up Between the Blue Lines
Next: Jeff Halpern Catch-Up and a Look at the Bolts

Comments

FIRST! gotta love alzner.

Posted by: my92agsr | August 11, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Just makes you like OV even more.... ;) Not that it's possible.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | August 11, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Johnathan Kaine has been pulled from the NHL 10 cover, and moved to the cover of "Grand Theft Auto 7, The Battle for Buffalo."

Posted by: SA-Town | August 11, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Since we're looking for grit and experience what do you all think about giving Fleury a comeback shot? I would only vote yes if he can be offered the league minimum. The reports say he's been clean and sober for 4 years. He is small but it never effected his ability to play the game. Originally he said if he did come back it would be for the Flames. He hasn't been cleared yet but his intentions have been presented to the league.

Again, I'd be in favor if he'd take the league minimum to get his foot in the door. He'd probably consider Washington since the Caps are a contender.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Awesome, gotta love Alzner for that. I can't say any D-man's a lock to crack this roster right now, though - we've just got too many of them.

Posted by: kittypawz | August 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

I know you know and just mis-wrote....its Patrick Kane. Its Jonathan Toewes.

Posted by: ThePat | August 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I kinda' have an issue with our sweater being ranked #13 and the 5-year old drawing of a Penguin for the #14 jersey. Sorry, I don't care how much he was whining, they didn't have to use Crosby's drawing of a penguin from daycare. They really didn't.

Btw, is that a picture of Ovi with all of his front teeth? Whoa.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 11, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@thepat...

That was my mistake.....you get the point though... :)

Posted by: SA-Town | August 11, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Please do not confuse Shaone Morrison or Jeff Schultz with NHL defensemen ready to help a team win a title.

These are the players that need to be replaced IMO with more capable performers for the Caps to pass the Penguins, Red Wings, Bruins and others.

My bet to you is that there will be a trade before the start of the season and the Caps will unload 1 or 2 of the 'average' backliners the club has accumulated.

Posted by: leopard09 | August 11, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

IMO players like Morrisson and Schultz are fine the the supporting role of their pairing. I just want to bring up a quick point regarding Scuderi who many on this post thought very highly of after the Pens won the Cup. I was messing around on youtube reliving some nice goals the Caps scored in the Pens series. Low and behold, there was a common denominator. Scuderi was on the ice for a majority of our goals. Now, I guess even I was blinded by a couple of his blocked shots in the Finals. He's not worth the money he landed and it will probably be obvious this coming season. The Kings will be paying Rob Scuderi more than the Caps will be paying Morrisson and Schultz combined.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The Oilers jersey should be much higher on the list.

Posted by: Stu_c | August 11, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

leopard09:

there are several folks that post regularly to this board that hope you are correct. an upgrade on the blueline is nearly essential to the Caps ability to take the next step.

Posted by: doughless | August 11, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree that 1 or 2 blueliners will be moved. Morrisonn at 1.9+mil a season makes the most sense, but at this point it is more of a salary cap issue than anything else. I say that because Carlson would really benefit from a full season in the minors but his debut in the NHL will come sooner rather than later because of the abundance of NHL ready (top 6 on just about any team) defenseman. I honestly believe the Caps thought Morrisonn would walk away from their offer because he didn't get offered more than last year. Morrisonn took a long time to accept the offer. Schultz did too but this was his first go around, Morrisonn went through arbitration last year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't be surprised if no one is traded. Remember all the injuries from last year? We could use all the bodies we have and then some. You know that questionable ice is going to pop a groin or two early in the season.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 11, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately we probably won't have that luxury. I'm not a salary cap expert but I am under the impression the Capitals are a little over so someone has to move. Of course that could be sending Alzner and Carlson back down even if they're really ready to crack the line-up. The Caps will be shooting to put their best team on the ice and IMO, and this is my opinion, they would try to trade someone like Morrisonn or Erskine before putting Alzner back down again if he's clearly ready as a top 4.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Here's a link to the latest story on Fleury. If the guy could stay on the wagon, and be signed at the league minimum, he would be hungry as heck. He's be like a mini OV out there.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

fanohock: Since you asked....

Ovechkin 9.538
Morrisonn 1.975
Sloan 0.640
Collins 0.625
Bourque 0.578
Extra Players - Sum 3.818

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 11, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@SA - that was pretty d@mn funny! Perfect!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 11, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

i would advise AGAINST sending Lumberjack anywhere. I was bummed with Brash leaving, but now that he is gone we need at least ONE guy who can throw a blow, if needed. unfortunately (concussion and all), Lumberjack is it. Frankly, he was probably our all-around best D-man down the stretch last season. Only case I say let him go is if we are able to trade for a top 1 or 2 d-man. otherwise, Lumberjack is about the only experience and grit we have on our blueline.

Posted by: doughless | August 11, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Fluery wouldn't be good enough to replace any of the forwards already on the roster. Though I'd love to see him mix it up with Chara again. I used to love those two jawing at each other in Islanders/Rangers games.

Posted by: lornemyoung | August 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@TominFL - thanks for the kind thoughts. My dad and I haven't had the best of relationships the past 20yrs but I was talking to him and told him that Grandpa was 90 yrs old. He spend 10 days in hospice, beat cancer a year ago, it came back and got him this time but up until about a month ago he was going 90 miles an hour like always. So to put it in perspective that's pretty darn good. There are some that live to be 90 and spend the last 30 of their life miserable and unable to do the things they want. He was a very good man and I'm sure he's looking down on us now. Too bad he couldn't see the Caps win a Cup before passing on.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:

I like the way you think ... and I don't even wear tortoise shell glasses! ;-) The Caps actually did superhero cartoon bits on the jumbotron for a few of the players last season (that they would play when they scored). They had one for Ovi (Russian Machine), Backs, Jose, Green (the Hulk), Flash (ironically, the Flash! ;-)), Semin and ... who am I missing?!? Anyway, have you seen any of those? Regardless, I agree - they are definitely the good guys (hence their popularity around the league as a favorite second team) and they have some pretty formidable foes out there!

I can't remember - will the Rags game be your first? You are right - the sights, the sounds, the atmosphere ... nothing compares to a live Caps game. Pre-season can't get here soon enough!

Posted by: Boo- | August 11, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

As far as Theo (as in Fleury), I'm sure somebody will give him a shot at the league minimum although I doubt very seriously it'll be us. I don't particularly have a big problem with it but it's not the kind of move GMGM make. Maybe if Lemieux (as in Claude)retires the Sharks will pick him up. Theo was great in his time, problem is that time has come and gone. The only way for him to be effective is to play with that edge and chances are being sober and out of the league for 4 years can take that edge away.

First Claude then Theo, who's next? McSorley?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Why does nobody see the value of a positional defenseman when the man is built like a mountain? Everyone looks at Schultz and thinks he should be a bruiser, and he's NOT. He had good numbers last year; give the boy a break. He's how old? D-men develop later than forwards. He takes low PIMs (21 in 64 games last year), stays on the + side of +/- most of the time, and breaks up plays. He doesn't HAVE to be a bruiser.

He had double digit assists (11), scored a goal (short-handed), and was on the ice for nearly 1/3 of every game he played. I'm not for tossing him to the wolves just yet.

Posted by: irockthered | August 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Also I saw that somebody mentioned fantasy hockey. I've been running a league now for about 15yrs. It's all online etc and we typically do the draft late September, if any of you are interested let me know. We typically have anywhere from 8-11 teams and this year I have a couple falling out so I can use more people. Just wanted to throw it out there since it's already an established league. It's all automated etc and you can follow online everyday. I have people from all over the country in this thing so we do the draft online.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"Why does nobody see the value of a positional defenseman when the man is built like a mountain?"

Many here do but this fanbase needs a scapegoat and it's never someone who deserves it. We've already run two darn good defensemen out of town, one a HOFer. Why stop now?

Posted by: ouvan59 | August 11, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Every fanbase looks for a scapegoat. I was stationed all over this great country when I was active duty military, and EVERY fanbase does it. It doesn't matter what sport. I'm one of the people that think Schultz is a steal at his salary. Never flashy, but never a liability.

Put this in your pipe and smoke it if you will. I think everyone can reflect on OV's unbeliavable goal in game 5 against the Rangers when he dodged Drury's hit, then Derek Morris's hit (who many on here said we needed at the trade deadline), and then shot the puck past Lundqvist as he was tripped. Did that play make Morris a bad hockey player? Did that play take away the fact that Drury is known as one of the best two way American born players the NHL has ever seen? Did that play make Lundqvist stand out as a horrible goaltender. The answer to all of those questions are NO. So, I ask, why does Dubinsky's move that made poor Sarge loose an edge, make Schultz expedable to some? Schultz is here to stay. He will probably be fixture in our organization and never make more than $2mil a year. I have to say, that's fine with me.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@ouvan59

Posted by: nwilson2 | August 11, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

nwilson2:
i think fanohock1's point was that anyone (even a HOFer) can be made to look bad. one bad play (which is consistently referenced) by schultz should not be enough to call for dumping him. in no way is schultz the best d-man we have - but his cap hit makes him valuable for his role.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 11, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

That was my point. No, my intent wasn't to compare Schultz to Stevens or Murphy. He's not even in their discussion yet. However, I have even seen OV used as a scapegoat here. He's not a HOFer, not yet, but he's well on his way barring an injury or tragedy.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 11, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@ pokerfaceI208,

I'd love to get into your league! email me thiazzi@gmail[dot]com

Posted by: thiazzi | August 11, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Someone could make a fantasy league especially for this board. Yahoo usually starts their fantasy leagues around the end of August/early September. Yahoo is pretty good because you can choose between head to head or rotisserie style and set your own league rules at the beginning of the season

Posted by: tempusfugitrgv | August 11, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: The way to look at it, we have another fan rooting from the (very) upper deck. Yes, sounds like your grandfather got his money's worth.

And I remain in the camp that the Caps are getting money's worth our of Schultz.

Not money's worth:
Morrisonn, Clark, Nylander, Theodore

Somewhat not worth: Poti

On the fence: Pothier, Jurcina, Alzner

Super value: Backstrom, maybe Varly

The price is about right: Laich, Green, Ovie, Erskine, Bradley, Semin, Knuble (he possibly overperforms), Sloan

Possible Good value: Steckel, Flash, Gordo, Schultz, Fehr

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 11, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

There was a league of guys from here last season on ESPN. Probably a third of the people drafted and then never showed up again :/

Somebody definitely should make one for this year, though.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 11, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"that's quite a stretch comparing schultz to a HOFer. i'm curious as to who you think makes a better scapegoat, if we all need one."

I wasn't saying that Schultz was a HOFer or in the ballpark. I'm just saying that our fanbase is notoriously hard on finesse players, particularly those with size. Meanwhile guys like Lou Franceschetti are revered even though they are true liabilities because they throw the big checks that make the glass shake. Schultz has his issues as most young defensement do but he's a lot better than most of you give him credit for. Every mistake he makes is amplified to the point that he is to blame for every loss. His good plays are ignored, for one because he isn't flashy, and two because many don't want him to succeed because they would have to find another scapegoat. He is going to have a long and prosperous NHL career but it will still be another two or three years before he starts to peak. He is never going to "ooh and ahh" you but he will be a very valuable player.

Posted by: ouvan59 | August 11, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If you all are going to do a fantasy league let me know. I'd be down as long as the draft is online.

Posted by: ThePat | August 11, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo: I don't recall seeing the jumbotron. The first two games I got to watch at Verizon, my cousin and I were behind the Capitals bench, so you could imagine where my attention was at. Third game, I saw the Capitals at the Pond in Anaheim against the Ducks. 4th game I got to watch was Game 2 of the Eastern Quarterfinals against the Rangers, so I've got a grudge against the Rangers since we lost that one.

So the upcoming Rangers game on October 8th will be my...5th game ever. My ears hear Horn Guy honking the horn again...=/ 58 more days, Boo. =/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 11, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"i'm curious as to who you think makes a better scapegoat, if we all need one."

Well the real question is why do you need one?

Posted by: ouvan59 | August 11, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The Caps sweater is okay EXCEPT the Weagle is terrible. Personally, I think the cross hockey sticks/Capitol Dome logo was the best they ever had. How about a third jersey, maybe navy blue, with that on it?

Posted by: dcsportsdude | August 11, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

McPhee said no third jerseys for a few years, if ever.

And are you kidding?! The weagle is the MAN!

Posted by: thiazzi | August 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:
Don't you worry ... you'll have hockey on TV to hold you over soon enough. The seats behind the bench must have been great! I actually heard some folks complaining about those seats at guest services because their view was obstructed - they literally asked (read DEMANDED) that the players, coaches and trainers be told to sit down! No joke!! It was hysterical. Anyway, the big day will be here before you know it. Where will you be sitting this time? Look for me - I'll be the one in red. ;-)

dcsportsdude:
I'd love to see a navy sweater! But as much as I liked the old logo (that was my favorite combo), I don't know if it would work on blue (I guess because it has a lot of black in it). I'm trying to picture it ... :-/

Posted by: Boo- | August 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

hclark1:
you've gone a long way to trash terp football on a hockey board.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 11, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@ pokerfaceI208, I would also love to get in that league!! I have played FF for 10 years and always wanted to try hockey...email me at bryaningrocery@yahoo.com

Posted by: bryaningrocery | August 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

hclark1: do you know you are on a hockey board? hurricanes blow :)

Posted by: bryaningrocery | August 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo: Section 102, Row G. Cousin wanted to sit somewhere else. We got on camera during the Eastern Quarterfinals when they were interviewing Torts. The camera does add 10 pounds (that or I need to work out some more). I warned my cousin though that we'll be sitting behind the Caps bench in February when they play the Penguins. *evil grin*

Is it just coincidence but I'll be wearing red too? Great minds do think alike! =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 11, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that I have the attention span for a fantasy league, although it sounds fun.

Whee, Schultz-bashing. Seems like it happens here with alarming regularity. I'm firmly in the camp that Schultz is a steal for his salary and is better than a lot of people give him credit for. I've also given up bothering with the argument, because it takes two open minds to have a dialogue and arguing with a lot of people about it is a waste of pixels.

The most logical choice, if you're going to move just one Dman, is ShaMo. We're about $425K over right now if you bring up Bourque over Aucoin. We have the bonus cushion if we absolutely have to have it, but I don't care to have anything roll into next season given the likelihood that the salary cap would go down. If you want to bring up Alzner without making things worse, you need to trade someone with a larger cap hit than him, i.e. more than $1.7m. That leaves Poti ($3.5m), Pothier ($2.5m), Green ($5.25m), and ShaMo ($1.9m). If you suggest trading Green I'm going to laugh at you. Pothier's got too many injury questions to have a lot of trade value and his story makes him a fan favorite, so he's got more value to the Caps right now. He gets kept. Poti ... well, you could, but his value is more than picks and prospects can satisfy in a trade, and the Caps don't really want to take another roster player back if they want to be able to bring up the Hershey kids. Besides, he's the most experienced Dman on a very young blueline. That leaves ShaMo, who could go for a pick and a prospect à la Aaron Ward. Seems like the best option. Second choice is Jurcina, but his cap hit is smaller than Alzner's and bringing up Alzner would put you further into the bonus cushion. Besides, if he ever learns to aim that cannon of his, goalies everywhere will hide.

Posted by: kittypawz | August 11, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

hclark1:
i did a little research for you.
if you are really jonesing to troll ->

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 11, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

hclark1:
if you hurry - you can also post: FIRST!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 11, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@ouvan59 & fanohock1,

Yes, I think the fans here are way too hard on Schultz. Schultz is not one of my top favorites but I can acknowledge that he has contributed. He is our 2nd best Plus/Minus Guy among our Dman. Yes, that stat has its drawbacks but it's more important for someone on the D. It usually takes longer for D-man to develop than for offensive guys. That was true of Scott Stevens and Larry Murphy, to name two.

Other people that seem to be scapegoats on the team include Alexander Semin. Most of the time he's good but when he's at his worst, he looks bad. He's everyone's favorite person to trade. If any star on another team is available for some reason, everyone says "trade Semin for him".

It's as if Schultz and Semin has less margin of error than the others. Admittedly, they have looked like klutzes on the ice at times.

I've also read a lot of criticism of Green, as well.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice article on Alzner. He seems like such a nice kid. I met him at a couple of the practices at Kettler this past season.

Hope he makes the team this year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@pokerfaceI208

I'm not into fantasy sports myself but my husband's done several fantasy leagues in several sports, including hockey.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

So where will you be sitting at the Rangers game? Glad to see you making the trip from the West Coast.

It's my first year as a season ticket holder. I went to a bunch of games last year. Before that, I was attending games sporadically due to being busy raising kids. (Semin reminds me of my first born in many ways although he's a year older.) I was a much more frequent goer to games pre-kids.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75: Section 102, Row G. Not comfortable leaving my seat numbers since I imagine a few people would like to bean me over the head with a hot dog or a water bottle because I don't seem to know as much about hockey as they do or what have you. *looks at awe at CapsFan75* Wow...a nice season ticket holder! =P

My cousins tease me about visiting more now because of the Capitals and not so much them. I think their cheeks hurt from laughing at how much more aggressive I am when it comes to leaving for Verizon in time to scope out the souvenir shop, grab a drink and some food, and take a tinkle break from all the excitement of being back in DC for the umpteenth time. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 11, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:
"Wow...a nice season ticket holder!" What am I, chopped liver?!? :-P (Now you really have a good reason to not give out your seat #! ;-)) Anyway, 102 is a really nice section - I prefer that end of the ice. Hopefully you'll have a great view of lots of goals (preferably in the 1st and 3rd). BTW, sounds to me like a relo is in order ... lucky for you the DC metro area has a decent job market! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | August 11, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo: *looks at Boo with teary puppy dog eyes* =) Chopped liver? You're a perfect bowl of lobster bisque. You're a cool Autumn breeze with dried leaves crunching under your feet. You're that five dollar bill you find your in your jeans that you didn't know you had. =) how's that?

I hope 102 is a good section. I think it'll be a nice change of scenery. I was kinda' bummed that the last game I watched in Section 101, I was surrounded by tepid Capitals fans who thought they were at a polo match and frowned upon the goal celebrations the rest of us were hollering for. That, or they were pretty bummed they weren't waited upon hand and foot.

I hesitate to relocate. I'm very close to my 4 year old nephew and with the pending arrival of my sister in law and brother's twins in March, I have more reason to stick around. *shrug* But the Capitals make it pretty hard to say no to moving. Oh, and your summers blow over there. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 11, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:

Only five bucks?!? ;-) No worries - you had me at bisque ... it's all good!

I'm pretty sure 102 is one over from the blue line, right? Are you sitting closer to the blue line or the net? Either way you should get a lot of action down there. And being that far down you will see it, hear and feel it (the best way to experience hockey!). It might be tough to see over the benches when the action moves to the other end of the ice (since you are so close), but then that's what the jumbotron is for, now isn't it? Hopefully you will have rabid fans around you. If not you can swing by my section - I am surrounded for the most part by STHs (aka high-fivers) ... we always have a good time.

True, our summers blow ... as do our winters (they're gray and wet and icky). But we have the Caps for the majority of the year, and that alone makes it worth it! :-) We do, of course, have a lot more than that going for us ... and you could always vacation during our horrible summers (i.e. when the Caps are not playing) in CA. In other words, you've got it all backwards! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | August 11, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Love the weagle! It's alot better than that angled eagle with the gold stars on his wings. I think the Caps should use the weagle more. Think of the Flyers, Habs, Bruins, Red Wings, etc... you see their logo and you know who the team is, it doesn't have to be spelled out for you. Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | August 11, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond:
Ya, I HATED that old eagle ... I'm so glad it's a goner. Anything is better than that!

Posted by: Boo- | August 11, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

I hope things work out for you in Section 102. I'm near the rear of Section 117 myself. The folks I saw there seem to be fine.

Don't worry, I won't be pelting you with hot dogs or water bottles. Besides, we're on the same page most of the time, especially about a certain red haired Russian that so many people want to trade (and we don't).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, seriously? I think we have the best looking jerseys. (Obviously.) In my opinion, the Wild have the most hideous jerseys in the entire NHL. St. Louis' is terrible as well.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 11, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Rachel216 hasn't posted much lately. Today, her favorite goalie, Michal Neuwirth, is being pictured on the "Caps in Pictures" blog site.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Rachel,

As I wrote my last post, you happened to post at the very moment. So, go check out the "Caps in Pictures" blogspot for the pics of Neuwirth.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 11, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

the best jersey in hockey is the old school edmonton oilers jersey, the bright blue one instead of the current dark blue/navy.

the biggest sports story of the year outside these borders - the comeback of Michael Schumacher, the first and so far the only billion dollar athlete on earth is no more. He had to call it off due to the neck injuries he suffered during a bike race earlier this year, not fully recovered enough to handle forces of 5Gs that F1 drivers have to deal with when turning and braking.

Posted by: joek443 | August 11, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75: As long as I'm in Verizon Center, I'm bound to have a wonderful time! And yes, Sasha is the man! =P Goo, Caps!

I gotta' weigh in on the sweaters again. I agree that the Capitals need to move in the direction where people would see the Weagle and think Capitals and not have it all spelled out. Though the way the Weagle is shaped, I'm not sure how proportionate you could size him on the front of a navy blue jersey without his wing tips going into your armpits. *shrug* I just want a blue Capitals jersey. Heck, I'd even take a blue jersey with the spelled-out logo. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 12, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry - a bit late but on Nyjer, did anyone see this on the article about Nyjer on MLB.com:

"Morgan stood out because of his natural skills. He was also singled out because of the color of his skin. His aggressiveness was perceived as less acceptable than that of teammates and opponents. Consequently, Morgan often spent significant time in the penalty box, which kept him from being able to show how good he really was."

Unless Nyjer says something himself, I don't believe it. Sounds like another baseball writer stuck in the 1950s who can't stand the thought of any other sport doing positive things and feels the need to dump on them.

MLB should be investigated for even suggesting it.

I'm a minority who played hockey growing up, too, and I didn't experience anything around the color of my skin.

There are loads of non-white players in the NHL, from both Canada and the US, and TEB isn't the first non-white NHL beat writer by a long shot.

I'm tired of our sport getting covered by the mainstream media like it's the 1950s, as if no one outside of Canada and a few northern states care about it, and everyone else that does is racist. What a joke.

No wonder the mainstream media is hemorraging money.

Posted by: guiliano89 | August 12, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I just noticed, but are we just going to be getting "ML's" instead of the old (relatively) "MRL's"?

Posted by: superpaqman | August 12, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Thanks CapsFan75! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | August 12, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Kane's mugshot and story video:
Looks a little smug, eh? Poor Hawks ... first they get Huet and now this! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | August 12, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Like I said I Monday, I'm going to wait for more details. I suggested that maybe the cabbie knew who he had and fabricated a story to get some money. Now reports are saying this guy has had his license revoked a few times for alchohol related offenses. Additionally he has used several last names. Starting to sound more and more to me like some bum cab driver that realized he had a 20 year old payday in his back seat.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 12, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1:
Could be, but still no time to look smug. :-)

Posted by: Boo- | August 12, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

no one is using poor schultzie as a scapegoat, the criticism on him is based solely on his play. The Dubinksy thing was just the rotten icing on the cake. If that was the only faux pas Schultz had committed, not that big of a deal. You look at the whole picture when you praise or criticize a player and all Sarge's detractors seem to do that given what they say about him.

And its great that he doesn't make much money, but I wouldn't take Jeff Toms back at the NHL minimum so why should I be ecstatic that Schultz makes less than a mil? If he was a very good player making that amount then you may have a point.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 12, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse