Morning Reading List: Because We Can

Hey, it's the offseason! And there's some semblance of NHL/Caps news*!

[*links below may not constitute actual news.]

- Alex Ovechkin possibly makes the Caps' PR folk very nervous by candidly discussing a bevy of topics like, um, just see for yourself, because this is a family newspaper and we have standards, USA Today.

- Michael Nylander says (in Swedish) that Bruce Boudreau said he "wasn't good enough" to play for the Caps, but Boudreau says he never said that, or at least has no recollection of saying that, so for now we are at an impasse. Stay tuned.

- This is definitely stale already, but in case you missed it and are starving for Caps goodies, here's a post from NHL Fanhouse on Mike Green's offensive prowess.

- The Swedes explain why they rocked the NHL draft.

- "Philadelphia Flyers forward" Mike Knuble (??) is taking some time this week to be an instructor with the Grand Rapids Griffins' youth hockey camp. We think.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  August 4, 2009; 9:02 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau Disputes Nylander's Comments
Next: Catching Up With Eric Fehr

Comments

Whatever is said in Russia should stay in Russia...but what is the big deal anyway?

WashPo, if you have standards, why are you linking the story? ;-)

Posted by: RITdude | August 4, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Nylander-this could become an issue and a huge distraction during the season. If you have a cancer, you get rid of it.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 4, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

maybe BB said "You weren't good enough tonight" and Nyl thought he said something else.

Posted by: NFeKPo | August 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I think that he was sick of her dumb a** questions.. he clearly was just rattling off answers like he was bored.. poor guy is gonna get grief for this one or, maybe I should say poor Caps PR people. American girls beware beware the flashing eyes the floating hair ah ha ha (thats Coleridge)

Posted by: kmr2r | August 4, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Obviously the Detroit Free Press is doing it's part in hiring the auto workers to be writers. Last I checked Knuble was a Cap over a month ago. Since Newspapers are dying; does that mean there is no reason for an editor?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The conversation went like this:

MN: "I'm in the press box again?"
BB: "I'm giving the sweater to Jay Beagle."
MN: "You're telling me Beagle is a better player than I am?"
BB: "No, I'm saying he'll out-work you."

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

BB probably told Nylander. Michael to play on our top two lines you need to be able to keep up with our forwards and pass them the puck before the blue line not after where you skate in the offensive zone and skate circles and make everyone around dizzy watching you.

Posted by: lightshow | August 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Coincidental?....sex before and after helps me read Capitals Insider.

Posted by: sjshanno | August 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Are there any other veteran players in the league that are making 3.5 mil plus, and not good enough to be a top 12 forward?

Are we the only team in this position?

Posted by: SA-Town | August 4, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I haven't read all of the suggestions yet. In my world we would not deal Semin, Poti, or Neuvy. Those 3 seem to be mentioned a lot.
Semin is a dynamic player that hasn't reached his prime and truly loves playing the game here in Washington with OV.

Poti, like him or not, is very patient when it comes to getting the puck out of our zone. He's worth his salary just on the PK.

Neuvy, not yet. First we don't know for sure if Varly or Neuvy is the goalie of the future. Flashes or Jim Carey/Olie Kolzig come to mind. I've said it before on the board, but what if the Caps would have been sold on Carey early and they dealt Kolzig? The Caps would have been in trouble. In my opinion it is WAAAAAY too early for us to deal Neuvy. His true value is not known yet. If we were to deal him now it would be part of a package deal. If Varly proves to be the man and we move Neuvy simply because we don't need two #1 goaltenders, we get a hell of a lot more for him. If Neuvy is the man in 2 years we will all be glad we kept him.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 4, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@SA-town,

I think Nylander is good enough, but he was brought in under Hanlon, when we were a trapping, defensive team. BB wants to run and gun and Nylander dances too much for this system- just a bad fit under the system...hence, not the coach's favorite player. Tarik pointed it out last year, when Nylander circled up at the blue line during a break out and his line mates and coach just looked at him as in "WTF are you doing?!" He is in the doghouse since then.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 4, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I hate RT. They are pushing and pushing and make Ovie to say some things that he normally wouldn't do. Ovie has always been politically correct, but in recent RT interviews he was not. Why? Because he was interviewed at the party, under influence... And RT didn't do anything to help Ovie.

Besides they are bad luck. They interviwed Varlamov right before game 7 with Pens and Caps lost. What was Caps management thinking? Nate?

Keep RT and Chesnokov away from Semin, Ovie and Varlamov.

Posted by: CodePoetry | August 4, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

What do you expect a 20-something- millionaire- bachelor- MVP to say?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

OV is right, sex before a game is good, calms you down. Afterwards though I am too tired, too sore and too stinky for my wife to even consider being near me ;-)

Posted by: Iceman10 | August 4, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with CodePoetry. I'm not sure if interviewing people while they're intoxicated as responsible journalism. They might as well be a tabloid since it's a little inappropriate for taking comments from Ovi that he probably wouldn't be saying if he weren't under the influence. I think it's a bit of a turn-off. I prefer Crosby not kissing and telling us about his escapades with a certain hockey team owner and I think for once, Ovi should take his cue from Crosby and be a little less candid with his countrymen who are looking for the latest soundbite and cause the waves it needs for publicity.

XP

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 4, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@lyle

I know what your saying...but if he was good enough..someone else would want him.

Im assuming that GM would get some offers of say a depth player for Nylander and a Caps prospect or two....

It seems now that NO TEAM wants anything to do with Nylander, and his trade value is nothing...

Posted by: SA-Town | August 4, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Why not package Nylander with a D-Man like Orlov? I hate to get rid of the prospect, but if we are going to win the cup in the next 2 years, we need Nylander off the books.

Does no one take that trade? Would it take someone like Alzner or Carlson to make that happen? (I wouldnt want that just to be clear)

Posted by: SA-Town | August 4, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

GMGM bashing is getting extremely old. The Oilers actually offered Nylander more than the Caps. Nylander stated he came here because they had friends in the area. So if Edmonton wanted him, and was willing to pay more, I guess GMGM isn't such an idiot afterall.

GMGM's track record after the 1st round is bad? I can't remember who posted the Caps top 20 prospects but there were two 7th rounders on the list. Maybe luck, but spotted talent nonetheless.

If Nylander shows any spark, any at all this season, and the Caps still want to move him at the trade deadline, they'll probably be able to because he's only owed $3mil next season. For a team that believes in him, and is a borderline playoff team, he would be worth the risk.

The biggest hurdle is the fact the Nylander has to approve any move, and he seems to be arrogant about that fact in his interview. GMGM isn't a bonehead because of that, it seemed to be the thing veterans were doing at the time Nylander signed.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 4, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Ovie should be less candid? He should practice canned answers like Cindy to keep the league happy?

BORING!

Ovie is who he is, and that's why I like him. He isn't out there trying to play politician, he has a job he loves and he's enjoying his life. It's not like he mapped out his favorite positions, I mean really he just said he likes sex. Shock and awe. I truly don't see what the big deal is, especially since they asked him a million loaded questions to get the answers they wanted. Big whoop.

Posted by: mrszilla | August 4, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

While we all want Nylander to be moved, or at least the situation to be resolved, it's fairly obvious that it's not possible right now. There are plenty of guys on the FA market who are cheaper and of more interest to teams looking to fill out rosters.

But lets say a couple months into the season a guy like Briere goes down for the year. He has a huge cap hit, he is a playmaker, and the Flyers are the type of team that might be willing to take on a big salary in Nylander rather than bring up a guy from the AHL.

I don't think it makes sense to give away a decent prospect & Nylander to make a move now when it's possible that Nylander's value will go up (probably only slightly) after the season has started.

I don't think that having Nylander on the team, and likely sitting in the press box every night, will prevent this team from contending for the division come the trade deadline. I think it's at least somewhat realistic to think Nylander can be moved with only 1 year left on his contract to a team that needs a veteran playmaker for their stretch run.

Posted by: Jeff_ | August 4, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla: He should just be less drunk if in fact the interview occurred at a bar/nightclub as someone suggested earlier. If the answers come out the same way, at least we know that he was of sound mind when he said it. I don't think I wanted Crosby's generic responses either. There was sarcasm laid in there about Crosby and Lemieux. I think Ovi could have come off a little less chauvinistic, I think, is all. Again, a difference in opinion.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 4, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla
Right on. I am tired of restrained and "correct" answers; we get enough of that in DC, don't we? We need individuals to promote our game. I find Crosby incredibly uninteresting. Hockey fans and potential hockey fans can relate (with a grin) to Ovie at level few players offer.

Posted by: jakopz | August 4, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@ I agree Jeff...

My post was more of what are our possibilities?, a realistic look at what would have to happen to move him...I think we will hold him as a depth forward and let the cards fall.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 4, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Also, if GMGM is doing such a horrible job spotting talent why are we log jammed with players acquired through trades and the draft? Not many of our players were just picked up on the open market. Who do we have, Nylander (who the Oilers were willing to pay more), Knuble, Brendan Morrison, and Theodore (good short term deal)? Again, everyone else was acquired via draft or trade. Still can't identify why is so hated by some of you.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 4, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I wanna know when mentioning that you have sex became a no no. Maybe I have been out of the US too long, but being surprised rich successful young men are having sex is insane.

I also forgot WaPo was actually a newspaper and not just this website.

Posted by: trunkenmath | August 4, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I have to concur with OV on Russian women. Make no mistake about it we have very beautiful women here in the US. However if you vacation along the coast you will see Russian women working for the summer. I think they only issue blue eyes too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 4, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Trunken-

Exactly! I mean even if you discount the rich and successful part, find me one guy in his 20s who would say anything different. I'm sure even the dudes who play rollerhockey in my area would agree that it helps :)

And it's not like you would get those kinds of answers from Cindy because snuggling with Mario doesn't quite result in the same level of endorphins released.

Posted by: mrszilla | August 4, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Jeff_'s observations about the best chance to move nlys seems the most plausible.
* some contending team, nearing the trade deadline, has a playmaker get hurt
* that team taking on the remainder of this years 5.5m (and next years 3m without the MNC) is not as bad a risk as it may have been last year
* that team (if i remember correctly) will only have to take a 4.25m cap hit (not the capitals 4.875 hit) for nlys remaining 8.5m of the contract
if the caps can showcase any talent he has left and that he is at (or near) 100% since his injury - he will have some value. i do not think any team will be willing to take a chance without seeing him in action at some point during the season.
nlys riding the pine = no value
nlys skating circles = a chance to move him

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov said he was happy he met a Russian girl in US because American girls are chubby and less curvaceous. I am glad RT didn't interview/translate him.

Признаться, очень счастлив, что в Америке встретил девушку из России. На большинство местных без слез не взглянешь. Такое ощущение, что они просто не следят за собой! Очень много толстушек. Однозначно, у нас девчонки фигуристей, опрятней. Не могу себя представить рядом с американкой.
Google:
Admit, is very happy that in America, met a girl from Russia. At most local not look without tears. Such a feeling that they just do not look for a! A lot tolstushek. Clearly, we have the girls talent of figure skating, neat. I can not provide themselves with American.

Posted by: CodePoetry | August 4, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's not a surprise that single 20-somethings are having sex. I wouldn't be surprised though when this comment comes back to haunt Ovi when he comes out tired and sluggish on the ice and fans start calling for his head and blame the women he's been plundering the night before for costing us a game or two.

And before other people's undergarments get into a twist, I like Ovi, so let's not get carried away with justifying why it's awesome that Ovi is doing chicks before and after games.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovi tried to crack a joke

Posted by: CodePoetry | August 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm wrong but OV reminds me more and more of Kimi Raikkonen... a guy with enormous talent who will have his share of success but not quite dedicated enough to be as great as he should be when it's all said and done.

Posted by: joek443 | August 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Kimi Raikkonen was rookie of the year and won Richard and Hart trophy twice in a row

Posted by: CodePoetry | August 4, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

no but he's makes over $50 mil/year, the second highest paid athlete in the world right currently.

and that's all individual awards and the last time I checked he plays a team sport.

Posted by: joek443 | August 4, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

You're a donkey if you don't think Ovie is a team player.

Also, I bet the City Paper would print the Ovie sex interview. In big letters. On the front page.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about you all, but IMO Ovie's work ethic is something I will NEVER have to be concerned about...

To me this doesn't sound like a guy getting too caught up in the riches lifestyle, he is enjoying it but when it comes down to it hockey is always his main focus. Enjoy the off-season OV :)

Posted by: mrszilla | August 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I could care less if Ovie does it between periods...Just win the Cup.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 4, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Latest rumor I heard was Nylander going to the Orioles for Melvin Mora and a player to be named later.

Mora's cap hit ends Oct 1st with a $1M buyout for next year.

Ovie's comments - Yes, he was kidding! Of course, you know in all the games he's played, it's happened like that a time or two.

One of the best things about him (and there are many) is he's such a joker.

The only people I trust are those who are jokers. Serious people always want to put their hand in my pocket or tell me how to behave. Semin is a joker too. They're a bunch of clowns, and that's one reason they'll win.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

when Raikkonen joined the most famous team in all of motorsport Scuderia Ferrari and took over for the retiring legend Michael Schumacher, everyone thought he would win multiple world championships.

He did win it in 2007 but since then he's been outrun by his teammate Felipe Massa, a Schumacher protege. Kimi like OV, has a LOT going on outside his profession. To be the best, you almost have to be single minded. Raikkonen has as much talent as Schmacher ever did behind the wheel but he will never have the kind of success that Schumi did because he'll never put in the kind of hours and effort behind the scene.

You might say OV has as much talent as Gretzky ever did but will he have the same kind success as Wayne? in my opinion, NO because I don't believe OV will work as hard at being the best as Gretzky did.

Posted by: joek443 | August 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Russian women aren't any more curvy than American women, to say otherwise is to either not have your eyes open or complete homerism. Now, more Americans are overweight, I'll give Varly that, and we don't dress up for every and any occasion, I'll give Ovi that. But Russian women aren't perfect either. I find many of them too artifically made up (lay off the face spackle and peroxide) and their skin is aging rapidly due to the amout of time they spend tanning. (Sasha, you too are getting prematurely aged skin.)

Frankly, there are attractive people, average people, and unattractive people in every country. I haven't been to any country where they have a monopoly one one category over other countries (except those countries with harsh living conditions but that is another matter). It is best to keep an open mind when you travel and live in other countries.

Young Russians seem far more hung up on being Russian, preferring Russian, and liking all things Russian than older generations. I like our guys, but it gets tiresome when they've chosen to live here 2/3 to 3/4 of every year. Broken records grate on the nerves.

Posted by: pstenigma | August 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"a guy with enormous talent who will have his share of success but not quite dedicated enough to be as great as he should be when it's all said and done."

So you're saying that he should be greater than what he is right now? Sit tight my friend.

"that's all individual awards and the last time I checked he plays a team sport."

Last 3 years- no playoffs, first round loss, second round loss. Sounds like the TEAM is getting better as well.

Just saying.

Posted by: Fro_ | August 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

As for where the interview took place, it was at RAI in Moscow during the party thrown in honor of Ovi being MVP again. He did several interviews that night.

The AO blog has all of the interviews and photos of the boys (Alex, Sasha, and Feds)

Posted by: pstenigma | August 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with being young and homesick for things that are familiar. I CANNOT believe that OVs interview has someone on here questioning whether or not OV will end up being as great as Gretzky. Different times, and different equipment. If OV played at his size and speed with wooden sticks, and the goaltenders were as small due to equipment and not as talented, OV would have been filling the net as much as Gretzky. Just take a look at the Vezina trophy winning stats at the time Wayne was in his prime. They were winning the Vezina with GAAs at or over 3.00 and save percentage below 90%.

OV is an exciting and dynamic player. When healthy he is one of the last ones off the ice at practice. He loves the game and desires to be the best. In his mind to be the best he must win championships so his best is yet to come.

Please don't come on here and compare OV to some Formula I driver that never met expectations. The guys is reigning MVP as someone already stated. He probably works out with a personal trainer every day so let him enjoy his summer.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

Eh? Really? When has he not worked hard? When has he not played with every fiber of his being and heart? He's not some lazy forward who just gets the goals, he blocks shots, hits, he gets involved in every part of the game. Call me a homer, that's cool, but honestly questioning the man's work ethic makes no sense to me. If OV is lazier than Gretzky then I'm the freaking pope. I would however pay you money to say that to his face...

As for the whole Russians prefer Russians thing... I kind of get it. Not for me personally but having lived abroad there is always something nice about dating your own countrymen. Granted there are probably some Europeans I'm more similar to than some Americans, but generally speaking there is more common ground, you don't have to explain every little quirk or nuance. I don't think they are like ugh, boo American women, they just like who they like! The curvy comment throws me off because I def think we are curvier than Russians, but what can you do. To each his own.

Posted by: mrszilla | August 4, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Nylander mentions possibly heading to Edmonton in one of the interviews is curious to say the least. Since Oilers GM Tambellini has had a rough summer falling all over himself trying to lure Heatley, and has nothing to show for it but a lot of criticism among the fans/press, maybe he might be willing to take on Nylander's contract? I'm sure the 3 players whose names were leaked (C Cogliano, LW Penner, D Smid) as going to Ottawa for Heatley aren't too pleased with the situation. The Oilers need to save some face with the fans, especially after the latest on-my-knees-and-begging-you-to-join-our-team maneuver of sending Heatley a DVD video highlights package of their star players doing miraculous things offensively. Who does that?

It'd be great if we could get Cogliano (18 G/20 A in 82 games last season), and the cap hit would be minimal (850k for '09-'10, then RFA). Penner (averaged 23 G/20 A in three NHL seasons) has three more yrs left at 4.25 mil/per, so not sure about taking on that salary. He was in former Oilers coach MacTavish's doghouse for awhile last season. MacTavish has since been replaced by the venerable Pat Quinn (and Nylander's former coach with the Rangers, Tom Renney, as his assistant), but I'm sure Penner is looking for a fresh start at this point. Of course, other players could be involved in a bid to get Nylander (capologists get to work), but you'd think that Tambellini would like to do some damage control at this point and get those guys out of town before the Canadian media feasting begins in earnest at training camp.

The upshot of this situation is the Oilers have some cap space available:

NHLNumbers says $3.254 mil
CapGeek says $2.154 mil
HockeyBuzz Cap Central says $2,791,667

Again, Nylander mentioning Edmonton specifically was a bit curious, so, maybe, this time around, he'll politely tell his wife to keep her mouth shut and waive his NMC to go to Edmonton. Then, it would become quite possible for the Caps to put together a nice package to accompany him while keeping options open to re-sign Backstrom/Semin next summer. Thoughts?

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 4, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I myself find Russian women very unattractive (far too angular in features). Also, Swedish, Finn, Norwegian, Danish, Polish and German. Might as well throw in Czech and Slovakia. And British are the God-awful worst. French are OK and Meditteranean much better, also South American very nice and tropical best of all. I guess it's what they call taste.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Some people on here absolutely amaze me!! How is it that OV's game has improved every year that he has played, yet he doesn't hard at Hockey??? (Joek443) Good lord, maybe you should devote more of your time to your job and not read these boards... ;) I am sure that in your mid twenties, you never did anything except your profession, Huh?

I for one am glad he has an outlet for his "Frustration". The day that he starts a downward trend in his playing, I will start complaining, until then, bang away OV!! Seems to help.. ;)

Posted by: hbcapsfan | August 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

Hahaha yeah I agree

Posted by: RITdude | August 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla:

I'm sure you are plenty curvy, more so than those stick-figure Russian gals.

(wink, wink)

And I agree with your dressing down of joek. I was wondering when someone was going to take him to task for those comments.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Metal: I posted yesterday that I would like to get Souray, but I don't think it's feasible.

Would people here entertain an offer of Nylander and Carlson for Souray? We'd also have to throw in Mo for cap reasons and get back a pick.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't want Penner, no way, no how! From what I've read, Edmonton's biggest problem with him is that his work ethic would make Zherdev look like a workhorse. He apparently just wants to show up to play and leave it at that. Since Anaheim quickly dumped him after they won the Stanley Cup and now Edmonton is ready to wave good-bye, that just screams NO NO NO!

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually Semin likes Brazilian girls, he said it in one of his interviews. The only thing about having Russian as his wife, is to share a common culture, that's what he said, but he likes Brazilians.

Posted by: CodePoetry | August 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

Get rid of Carlson - why????? Have you seen him play? I'd send Alzner first. But for Souray who has done squat the last couple years. Heck, I wouldn't do Souray for Carlson straight up. Why wreck the long term just to see if Sheldon still can play.

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

There's one thing that Ovie will never be mistaken for, and that's an American. He's Russian. When he retires he'll move to Russia. He vacations in Russia. He loves his country, so why not a Russian girl?

Would anyone expect an American living in Russia to marry Russian and live there forever if they were as fiercely nationalistic as he is?

Also, look at the venue. He's in Russia talking to Russian media. He's a national hero there. There will be a tendency to say things that play well in your home country. We do it. Why can't he?

I have zero problems with what he's saying, and I'm pretty confident that he means what he says.

Posted by: Greg S. | August 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. I'm just dreading the pending sex videotape coming out of all this discussion.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 2:02 PM

Yeah, don't really want Penner either. Just included him in the speculation because he was one of the named players in the proposed Heatley deal.

In bringing up the idea of the Caps working out a deal with Ottawa to get Heatley, or possibly hammering out a deal with Edmonton to take Nylander, I was just trying to look at teams who have probs of their own and might like to play ball. There are a myriad of reasons why those deals might not, would not, could not happen, but it's amazing to see what lengths a front office will go to to keep peace in the locker room and lessen the scrutiny of the media. It must be very tiring dealing with the same questions over and over and over again, particularly if you are a GM/coach working in the fishbowl of one of the six Canadian NHL cities. Pressure filled situations can create strange bedfellows.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 4, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 2:06 PM

Varly: Souray had 23-30=53 pts last year. In his last year with MTL, he set an all-time NHL record with 19 PP goals on the season. He's a left-handed shot and would work great w/Green on PP.

Yes, if you substitute Alzner for Carlson, that's OK. But, remember, Carlson is all hype at this point, having never played in the NHL. You don't have the luxury of deciding that Carlson will one day win the Norris and therefore at 19 he's the most valuable d-man in hockey. Souray is proven and Carlson isn't yet.

Actually, substituting Alzner is better for cap.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 2:26 PM

Souray was also -28 in his last year in Montreal, and is a minus player for his career. That said, he has some grit, topping 100 PIMs a few times in his career, and adding a proven scorer on the blueline to an already healthy power play would not be a bad thing, especially in the "we don't need a tough guy since we'll make you pay on the power play" era the Caps have entered. He'd only be 35 at the end of his contract, and the cap hit is similar to Green's.

However, I don't recall hearing any rumbles out of Alberta regarding his or the Oilers' desire to part ways. So, the Caps would likely have to sweeten the pot with one of the young, potential laden prospects that we all, rightfully so, covet. Ya gotta give to get in this world.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Little ditty over on Yahoo's PuckDaddy saying that Kenny Klee is retiring.

I would post it here, but I can't get back to it here from work.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | August 4, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The conversation went like this:

MN: "I'm in the press box again?"
BB: "I'm giving the sweater to Jay Beagle."
MN: "You're telling me Beagle is a better player than I am?"
BB: "No, I'm saying he'll out-work you."
Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 10:25 AM

get in the shade man, the sun is affecting the few brain cells you have left.

Posted by: hock1 | August 4, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Here is Edmonton cap, if anyone thinks Nyles to Edm is realistic chance, you have to work up a deal:

I'd like to get Souray, but about as likely as Heatley. Pisani might be workable though.

They get more raw skill, while we get a gritty guy who costs less and only one year to go.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The conversation went like this:

MN: "I'm in the press box again?"
BB: "I'm giving the sweater to Jay Beagle."
MN: "You're telling me Beagle is a better player than I am?"
BB: "No, I'm saying he'll out-work you."
Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 10:25 AM

get in the shade man, the sun is affecting the few brain cells you have left.

Posted by: hock1 | August 4, 2009 2:46 PM |

Hock1: I'll bet I have at least one more than you.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, August. Where non-stories become HUGE stories.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | August 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

get in the shade man, the sun is affecting the few brain cells you have left.

Posted by: hock1 | August 4, 2009 2:46 PM |

Hock1: I'll bet I have at least one more than you.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 3:03 PM |

There you go again. Now, why would you want to bet and lose your last penny? There is got to be a wino near by who can help you get in the shade ... LOL

Posted by: hock1 | August 4, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
hock1 beat me to it - i was going to pile on and ask if that one cell - was your wine tasting cell :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ovie does everything 110%- hockey-driving-partying-girls.

I have no problem with that...just stay out of trouble and bring us a Cup!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 4, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Screw Souray. Bring us LUBO!

Posted by: thiazzi | August 4, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Also, Zherdev is a UFA now. I know we can't afford him and don't want him, but I just thought I'd let everyone know.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 4, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

In the "every time there's a Russian player available there's sure to be a rumor he'll go to DC" department, don't be surprised when you see Nikolai Zherdev's name pop up now that the Rangers have, in one of GM Sather's best decisions in years, walked away from his arbitration ruling.

Even the Oilers, who are obviously in the market for a scoring winger, won't touch him. I hope that the Caps are smart enough to stay away as well. I guess his agent is gonna have to help him learn how to spell K-H-L.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

At a $5.4 mil cap hit for Souray, he's overpriced for what you get and costs more than Nylander for a longer period (through 2012). So when do you plan to let Alzner and Carlson try the NHL? Wouldn't be enough Caps space this year unless some other roster player went along with Nyles to Edmonton. We're only $1.8 mil below cap without Alzner ($1.675 cap hit) counted in the total (per nhlnumbers.com). Also, that would be 8 defensemen not counting Alzner.

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

aaahhh, Lindsay, we missed you as much as we miss hockey....

Posted by: Leeguru | August 4, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

To me, the only solution to the Nylander situation is for McPhee and Leonsis to eat half of Nylander's contract and hope to find a more defensive-minded team to take him on. No team in the right mind is going to take on his current salary. Nylander and Boudreau seem to be at an impasse. When a player says publicly that the coach thinks he's not good enough and when that same player is picking out teams that he would rather play for, then the issue is not correctable.

I believe that the Caps are a bit over the cap after signing Morrison and the Jurcina ruling. So eating half of Nylander's contract and trading him to a willing team for nothing (you're not going to get anything, maybe just a mid-level prospect to assign to Hershey) would put you in line with the salary cap and have better team chemistry.

The key is finding a defensive team with cap room and is willing to take a chance on Nylander.

Posted by: blindskateluke | August 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure you can't do that Jagr-style money eating under the current CBA. If we COULD, it would be an ok option. Better than nothing.

Again, I just hope Nylander comes out killing and earns his money with us this year.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 4, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nylander said "he told me I wasn't good enough." Maybe BB said that because it is THE TRUTH! Anyone who watched could see he was not playing well when given ice time. He looked disinterested and just skated in circles. BB's job is to put the best players on the ice, he'd be an idiot if he kept playing Nylander when he obviously was not producing. There are better players who deserved to play before Nylander. How could Nylander not understand this? Did he not realize that he was playing so poorly? That happens in everywhere, if you don't play well, you don't deserve to play at all. Get rid of him, he doesn't want to be here. We don't need him anyway.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 4, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The Nylander situation is of far greater significance than any other off-season issue. It is sickening to think that he has the second highest salary on this team. Failure to get rid of at least a substantial part of his salary is critical. Otherwise, we are back to being unable to put our best team on the ice due to salary cap constraints.

Posted by: zmega | August 4, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 4:06 PM

Here's the thing...everyone is assuming the Caps are definitely going to re-sign Backstrom/Semin next summer. If, indeed, the salary cap goes down significantly, which is a very real prospect, it's quite possible that teams with a lot of cap space will tender offer sheets to one or both of those players next summer. If the Caps can't match, they will be gone. We'd get draft picks in return, but that doesn't help in the here and now.

While I am all for patience in the rebuild and staying the course, I am also very concerned that the Caps simply may not be able to keep everyone who we are expecting them to keep. So, if a chance comes along now to add a 50 goal scorer, or a veteran "D" man who can score and play tough, and at the same time, get rid of a locker room cancer who isn't going to crack Boudreau's line-up very often, then this is the year to take the shot.

The Caps are really close to icing a legit Cup contender. I'd hate to see them pass up a chance to add a significant piece now in hopes of waiting for some of our top prospects to progress at a rate faster than they may be capable of. If you can add a bonafide, can't miss performer to the line-up, and get rid of Nylander at the same time, it is worth the risk of mortgaging a bit of the future to succeed now.

Two years in a row, the Penguins pulled the trigger on trades which history may eventually view unfavorably, but you gotta take some risk to win the prize. With all the uncertainty of where the cap will end up next summer, and the likelihood of labor unrest between the League/player's union over the CBA after '10-'11, this is the year to make some bold moves. Thoughts?

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

MetalCapsFan:
if your objective is to give yourself a greater chance to win the cup right now - you make a good case. however i think ted and GMGM are looking to provide a marketable product for years to come. if the cap goes down there will probably be a handful of teams that could give semin and backs what they could command - but how many of those will be bottom feeders. i don't see these two as players that would want to jump ship for a few bucks (although i wouldn't blame them if they did as pro athletes have limited time to earn big moeny) and would likely give a 'home town' discount to stay on a contender. either way you take a risk - sign a player that already has a big cap hit and you might not be able to keep them, don't make any moves and they may still choose to leave. as a fan - i'd rather see a contender every year than have a one or two season run at the cap and then have to dismantle (see pathers and mlb's marlins)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Varly: I have two deals on the table that would work with Edmonton:

1) We trade Nylander, Poti and a prospect/pick for Souray. We actually come out ahead by like $2M on cap for next two years, as you must replace Poti with say Sloan. This makes it easier to fit Semin and Backstrom in for next year, with that delta. The rub there is what to do with Souray's third year, but that's another problem for another time.

2) The other option is Nylander for Pisani straight up. Pisani is way overpaid at $2.5M. Edm gets the more skilled player, we get a 4th line kinda guy who is UFA after this year. We save $2.4M in cap space this year and the full $4.875M next year. Edm might have a lower cap hit due to trade, don't know. Edm might bite on this if they feel they can rejuvenate Nyles and he can get back to 60 pts for them (vs Pisani had 15 last year).

These are two options. You can bet McPhee is trying way more than we are.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

@ MetalCapsFan

But if the cap does go down next year, do you realy want another defenseman that costs more than $5.4 mil a year? It's not just a matter of signing others, but if the cap goes down, way too much will be being spent on defensemen. And what's to say that his shoulder doesn't give way again. Just what we need, another player with shoulder problems.

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk: My last CAT scan revealed 12 brain cells still functioning in my head. Some were killed due to wine drinking; some were burned up by the hot sun; and some fizzled due to thinking too hard about numbers at work and on the blog.

They told me that one of the 12 is on shaky ground and I should stop thinking so much.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I asked: "What happens when you get down to your last brain cell?" They said: "Have you ever seen David Crosby?"

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
i don't know anything about pisani - even if he couldn't crack the lineup and BB intends to have nlys ride the pine - a 2.4m cap hit (not playing) is better than a 4.875m hit
i wouldn't want the caps to pick up any player whose cap hit is anywhere near what semin and backs should get next year
souray = no in my opinion

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

As a long time Nylander fan I would hate to see him go, but your two options have merit. I'd rather see him playing and happy than sitting the bench. Nicky will be fine on his own and be an old hand able to mentor Johansson (?) by the time he gets here. Having watched Gustufsson this summer, I'm not sure he is a keeper, so no rush for Nicky there. Was amazed that Anton thinks he has a better chance here if he feels he can't even break in the top 4 centers on his team in Sweden.

Posted by: Varly | August 4, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Now you can't touch Avery, can you? If Juice will pound him Brash will have to respond...
Ugly...

Sean Avery On Donald Brashear: “I know he’s a scary dude…I’ve never fought him; I’ve never been dumb enough to do that… It’s always good to have a presence physically on the team, whether it’s a guy on the back or a guy upfront, I think it’s something that’s important, and as much as people say it’s not a part of the game, it is. It was certainly bittersweet to see Colton (Orr) go, I’m happy that he got a nice contract and he definitely deserves it. But it’s a new season and Brash will definitely be welcome in this dressing room and be part of our team for sure.” When reminded that Brashear---a former Flyer---had received tips from Joe Frazier during the lockout, he said: “I don’t know if Joe Frazier has enough left in the tank, I know Brash does, that’s all I’m worried about “

Posted by: CodePoetry | August 4, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1
"some were burned up by the hot sun"
man - i hope thats not true - i don't stand a chance here :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I got it! Here's the trade to free us of Nylnaders salary that makes sense for both teams involved (Caps and Edmonton), atleast to me it makes sense.

We trade Nylander,Flash and a prospect (and maybe Schultz or Tyler Sloan or Sean Collins) and a high pick in next years draft for:

Fernando Pisani (32 with a 2.5mil cap hit, UFA after this year)
and
Denis Grebeshkov (25 Russian D man with a 3.5mil cap hit and RFA after this year)

They get a vetrean center who fits their style better in Nyls.
They get a scoring winger that they need in Flash, who needs to go somewhere else and be good. It ain't happening here.
And we have the depth to part with a solid minor league dman and give up the pick!

Problem solved!

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Jmurray, that proposal does not make any sense on so many levels.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

it works Cap wise, we get a young russian d man, edmonton gets scorers and a draft pick. Why doesnt it work? please explain

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 4, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Flash is a restricted free agent after this year, as are Schultz and Sloan. We can afford to trade next years number 1 with all the talent we have in the farm system.

Pisani comes off the books after this year and Grebeshkov is an RFA. Its like the NBA now, with the Cap. That trade makes perfect sense.

if you don't think so, then send them Alzner or Carlson and spend the next 10 years mad that we let one of those future corner stones go

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

not good enough.....RIGHT!! Bouds, check yourself before you wreck yourself. You have some serious NHL numbers to back you up!!!

Posted by: doughless | August 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

1) Flash is not being traded anywhere. Replace him with Fehr or something, but I guarantee you a 20+ goal scorer with a cap hit of only ~700K = not going anywhere.
2) Sloan nor Collins offer anything to a team, when talking about a trade. They could sign depth d-men if they wanted.
3) I don't understand why we need Grebeshkov.

Essentially, you propose to give up our dead contract and a 20 goal scorer, for 2 dead contracts. The plus-side for us being that the "dead" contracts expire after this year. It makes a little more sense, I didn't read that Grebeshkov is going to be an RFA next year.

Still, Replace Flash with someone else, and give them a d-man with some actual worth, and the deal could work.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | August 4, 2009 5:50 PM |

You know how ridiculous this line of logic sounds right?

You never produced a hollywood movie, you're never allowed to give criticism to movies.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Flash isn't a 20+ goal scorer. check the stats. He "could be" some day, but he is a major disappointment. You dno't think Bourgue or Osala or Aucoin could score 10 to 15 goals in a full season on the big squad?

If Grebeshkov turns out to be good, then we resign him. He's 25 with upside and it gets us value in a trade for Nyls. If he doesn't pan out, we have young stud defense men in the farm and we clear 3.5 mil off the books to resign Semin and Backstrom.

This works

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I like the proposal better than the Caarlson/Alzner and Nyls for Souray proposal, but obviously Pisani for Nylander would be the best situation for us. We don't need to expand the trade if we don't have to..

Honestly, for the cap relief it will provide and the fact that he didn't do anything last year and we were fine, Nylander should be traded for anything GMGM is offered.

We could rock the boat all we want though, I predict at least 1 trade before the season starts, but I am not sure if Nylander will be the one to go.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Where the hell did these EDM rumors come from anyway? I thought it was Ottawa last night.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

if there is any team out there that wants nlys in any way - the caps should try and get a gritty assistant web producer to work with our favorite #80 - brett leonhardt

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Actually jmurray...you need to look at the numbers again. If ShaMo is not traded, his 1.95 is factored back into the cap. With 5 mil coming in and Nyls going out, plus ShaMo's hit that is reserved out already, we are above the cap.

That trade can only happen in conjunction with another one.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

*It's actually 6 mil coming in, and Nyls and Flash going out. Even if you added Schultz in with Nyls and Flash, we are still above the Cap with ShaMo.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

i could believe at some point BB could have told nlys "i have to put the best possible team on the ice that gives us a chance to win, you'll be a healthy scratch" - this could easily be taken as "you're not good enough"

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I agree with you. Trading Semin would definitely be a bad idea, although it seems that he's everyone's favorite guy to want to trade away. I certainly wouldn't do it for Heatley. Also, trading either goalie (Varlamov or Neuvirt) would be premature. We have to see which one will be the #1 for the long run.

I had probably suggested Poti and Morrisonn as D-man trade bait, sort of by default since they would bring the best value in a trade. Although our defense is essentially one star player (Green) and several that are okay -- not great but not bad either.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

About the only team that would take Nylander is one who is either at or near the salary floor and needs defensive help (so we can package him in a deal for defensemen) or someone who has a high salary "problem child" to dump.

The latter case was why there were so many posts about trading Nylander and D-men for Heatley. On Heatley: he's expensive, with a humongous cap hit. He's good at scoring and would probably help the Caps more than Nylander. We don't know how well he would fit with the Caps cast of characters or whether he would be malcontented on the Caps either. We also don't really need another high powered forward.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Leave it to the NY Rangers, Ottawa Senators, and Montreal Canadians to provide us off-season drama.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I doubt if Ovi really has sex before and after every game, even though the interview may imply that. A lot of that interview seems to be somewhat sarcastic. I'm sure Ovi's no virgin but it would probably not be feasible to do it before and after every game.

I'm sure he had a few drinks at the time. (One of the commenters on "Puck Daddy" actually pities Ovi's road roommate. But then Ovi's road roommate was at this particular party.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

With Ovi's money & at his age, it is feasible to have before every period & the shootout!

Posted by: uncatim | August 4, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | August 4, 2009 6:02 PM

I proposed Ottawa because GM Bryan Murray has his posterior in a sling right now with the Heatley situation. Nylander himself proposed Edmonton in the interview he gave to the blogger in Sweden. To wit:

(interviewer) "Any club that is high on your wish list?..."

(Nylander) "Uh ... hmmm .. I can't say that I have a dream team like that and it will be difficult to get into most of them now, given the salary cap. But it would have been fun to try Edmonton. Now, of course, I said no to them before. Instead I chose Washington because we had more friends and knew more people there. And it was perhaps a little better socially. But I would have liked to try Edmonton. I think that it would be fun now. I would like to try that now but it will probably be difficult for them to get me under the salary cap" concluded Michael Nylander..."

Either Ottawa or Edmonton could work due to the fact that both their GMs are facing public relations nightmares and locker room unrest due to the way that the Heatley trade request situation unfolded. Nylander specifically talks about the Oilers, so that gives rise to a hope that he will not let his wife make up his mind for him like she did before he came back to DC from NY.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 4, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

uncatim:
at 9.5m a year i could probably convince my wife - before and after doing the dishes - and occasionally during

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 4, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

don't worry. i think sasha is safe from being traded as long as he makes himself indispensable, which he can do just fine when not trying to hide a broken thumb, hurt wrist, stitches in the face, and an injured foot and whatever else was wrong by the end of the game seven with cindy and the pens. please note semin was still taking himself out on the ice and TRYING to make things happen. and also please remember we didn't get to the second round without his work in the first round, and the work of other players that keep getting tossed out for trade speculation.

Posted by: spinner-33 | August 4, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

@spinner-33

Plus, even though Semin had a subpar series against the Pens due to all his various ailments, he did get key assists in Game 1 and Game 6 of that series, two games we won.

He didn't hide the stitches in the face. When the Russian press asked what happened, he said it was from a slash by Orpik. I'm not sure of the specific injury to the thumb but think it may have been ligament damage. Anyway, I'm sure he had major trouble with holding his stick. (Also recall hearing rumors of a slashed wrist and even a broken foot, although I couldn't get confirmation.)

How can he defend himself from getting injured by the Orpiks of the world?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

spinner 33: No, the only person we ar trying to trade is Nylander, but it's extremely complicated. Someone mentioned Ottaa and Heatley yesterday, and I ran the cap figures and you have to move serious contract like Nyles and Semin to make that work. The overall sentiment was "don't do it." Then we began working on Edm today since Nyles said he wants to go there. First I worked off the desire to get Souray, which isn't feasible. And then looking at Edm cap it was obvious you could do Nyles for Pisani. Edm is already overpaying for that player, so maybe they don't mind overpaying a bit more to get more. Then next year Nyles is only $3M. Meanwhile, if Pisani doesn't even play (he would), the Caps are $2.375M better in cap this year and the whole $4.875M next year.

The best way, maybe only way, is find a team who wants him and a team Nyles wants to go, where that team will take out two-year cap problem for their one-year cap problem.

So, Nyles for Pisani is the best I could do. Maybe someone else has a better one.

Beats watching baseball.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 4, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

One thing I know is the Flyers need more tough guys...

Philly is not a hockey team...they are a UFC organization....The fans love it..they would rather beat you up...then beat you on the scoreboard.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 4, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@SA_Town

Now all the Flyers need is David Backes.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday, due to all the latest Heatley drama, a bunch of us were discussing trades involving him and Nylander. Ottawa wants to dump Heatley and we want to dump Nylander. Also, since Ottawa is defensively challenged and since we have more NHL defensemen than we know what to do with, most of the proposals involved included defensemen. (Okay, we don't have great NHL defensemen -- just okay NHL quality defensemen.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 4, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

The Heatley news is old. Every summer hockey has to focus on one ridiculous issue.

Last summer it was the daily coverage of Mats Sundin's life and what he was doing.

This year it shares two stories focusing on Dany Heatley and the Phoenix Coyotes.

Next year there will be articles on Bettman and the NHL wanting to have every team play half their games in other countries.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | August 5, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray019 - OK, I am going to have to take exception to your comment about Fleischmann being "a disappointment."

At the beginning of the season, Flash was on fire. He was on fire enough to rate a cartoon on the big screen, along with Green, Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom.

Then he came down with pneumonia.

He lost 30 pounds.

He was out for 11 games.

Did it take him a while to come back from that? Of course it did! And if you've ever had pneumonia, or known someone who has had it, you would know that it takes time to recover, even when you are technically "healthy".

Still, he scored 19 goals last season, despite the pneumonia, and if you ask me, he'll do better this year, assuming he remains healthy.

Yes, he had a slight drop in production last season. Let's see you try to recover from pneumonia and play hockey at the same time, and see how well you do, before you start telling me Flash is a disappointment!

Pre-pneumonia: 12 goals in 32 games (.375)
Post-pneumonia: 7 goals in 41 games (.170)
Post-season: 3 goals in 14 games (.214)

I will not buy it this year. Give Flash a chance to play a whole season in the NHL healthy, and THEN we'll talk.

Posted by: irockthered | August 5, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

with irockthered: YES!!!

i too am tired of reading all these armchair "experts" talking about how certain players aren't playing as well as they should, and not taking into consideration the injuries or ailments that are preventing this guy and that guy from being perfect hockey players every time they step on the ice. these players are human beings, not machines.

i'd like to follow these "experts" to work and give them as much in-depth and unfeeling scrutiny at what they do for a living. break their bones, pull their groins, give them flu and pneumonia, and see how well they can function. >:)

Posted by: spinner-33 | August 5, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spinner-33 | August 5, 2009 6:40 AM

Boudreau on the injury excuse (or, rather why it shouldn't be allowed to be an excuse) from last December when the Caps had up to seven guys from Hershey in the starting line-up:

"...I don't think you allow it. You don't use the word excuse ever," Boudreau said..."

Now, I've never played organized sports, let alone have people pay money to watch me play sports. However, I do play in a touring Metal band, and, quite frequently, people pay their hard earned cash to see my band perform. The person that comes to the show expects to get their money's worth, to be entertained, and I'm sure they don't care that we traveled 10, or 15, or 20 hours to get there, or that our vehicle broke down, or that we had to go through hoops with immigration authorities, or that the airlines lost our equipment, or that we're sick, or haven't slept in days, let alone in our own beds for weeks, maybe months - nor should they care. While it would be nice for the music lovers to sympathize with our plight, we, like hockey players, are paid to perform and work through whatever ails us and give the paying customers what they came to see. Yeah, we're not getting punched by the Donald or checked by Chris Pronger every night, but it's the same principle, give all you have, all the time, to the people who enable you to make a living at what you love doing, and accept their criticism when you don't get the job done and live up to their, at times, inflated expectations. It's the yin and yang of making a living in a fishbowl. No excuses. Just do it!

And on that note, time to pack and get ready to head to Europe on tour for a few weeks. Cheers!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | August 5, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, keep your excuses to yourself. I'm no hockey expert, nor have i ever claimed to be. I was expressing my opinion about a certain player that I think has topped out. Last year it was pneumonia, the year before it was a shoulder (i think). The point is he has been with the organization since 2004, can't score consistently on the big club (although he's a stud in the minors). I say trade him now and get something for him, even if its in a package with Nyls to save cap space.

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, oh what a party it would be!"

Flash, I think, is that dreaded player with a ton of skill who just can't make the jump or only realizes his potential after getting shaken a bit by being traded. (See Andrew Burnette)

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 5, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Chicago wanted to trade Khabibulin to us in November for Cricles and george accepted the deal but the blackhawks president or owner vetoed the trade...to bad that didnt happen

Posted by: gocaps01 | August 5, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I am not making excuses for Flash. I am stating reasons. There is a difference.

And MetalCapsFan, if you think I don't care about those things when I hear a performer of any stripe is ill, or whatnot, think again. If I had tickets to your concert, and heard you had flu, or pneumonia, I would not be offended if you put the concert off until you were healthy. Maybe that makes me weird, but I care a lot more about the human than I do about the profession.

Also, Boudreau may have said injury is not an excuse, but he did NOT mean that players had to play hurt or sick to prove they were capable of doing so. Obviously, we had injury substitutions all over the place last year, and still succeeded very well; hopefully, this year will be different (in the injury substitution realm, not the success)!

Posted by: irockthered | August 5, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Also, if you look at Flash's numbers overall vs. the first half of last season (pre-pneumonia), he improved dramatically over his previous year's production.

Pre-pneumonia: 12 goals in 32 games (.375)
Post-pneumonia: 7 goals in 41 games (.170)
Post-season: 3 goals in 14 games (.214)

2007-08: 10 goals in 75 games (.133)
2006-07: 4 goals in 29 games (.137)
2005-06: 0 goals in 14 games (.000)

Even post-pneumonia, his stats were better than the previous years.

And lest you point out that the 2006-07 stats were better than 2007-08, let's look at Ovechkin:

2008-09: 56 goals in 79 games (.683)
2007-08: 65 goals in 82 games (.792)
2006-07: 46 goals in 82 games (.560)
2005-06: 52 goals in 81 games (.641)

Gee, looks like he peaked, huh, since his production was off last season. We won't talk about the REASONS for that - his grandfather's illness and subsequent death, his own various injuries...

Give me a break.

Posted by: irockthered | August 5, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I read on a HF Board that New Jersey was looking for a playmaker. What about Nylander for Zubrus straight up? Nyls would be in the NY area again or could stay in DC and commute to visit his family. Zubrus was pre-Boudreau and would still look good as a second line center to me. McPhee may not have thought he was worth the extra bucks at the time, but I'd take Zubbie over Nylander at this point, wouldn't you?

Posted by: harryh1 | August 5, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Tomas Fleischman is not nor will he ever be Alex Ovechkin. Period. For you to bring that up as a comparison is ludicrous and shows your lack of hockey knowledge.

If you go by the stats that you yourself provided above, then Ovie's stats suggest he will score more goals this upcoming season than he did last season. Nice try there, Copernicus...

I hope Flash works out, honestly, but if we could use him to clear cap space for the future, I say do it. He isn't as valuable as some of the studs we have in the minors. That was my point.

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 5, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

i'm just saying that there's a big difference between going to work when you have a sniffle or an ouchie, and being able to even get out of bed when you've got injuries that might impede your ability to move, let alone play well. and pneumonia is nothing to scoff at. flash could have died! but there's always some bonehead on the board saying 'quit your sobbing and walk it off'. sometimes, there is no 'walking it off'.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BAND TOUR! (i'm shouting because i'm guessing your hearing might be a little bad) :)

Posted by: spinner-33 | August 5, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray019 - Dude, if you can't figure out that my example was a deliberate exaggeration, you're dumber than I thought!

I was pointing out how ridiculous YOUR assertation that because Flash wasn't a 20-goal scorer (wow, he scored 19 last season, gee, one goal short of 20, and that with having had pneumonia) is proof that he has "peaked," and that he is "a disappointment." I was using the pattern - numbers generally trending up, but occasionally dropping back a few percentage points - to illustrate a point.

You stated that you believed Flash had peaked, and I was pointing out - by using a VERY exaggerated model as an example - that you are full of beans.

I was not saying Flash was Ovechkin. Nowhere near. I was just saying I want to see him have a full, healthy season in the NHL BEFORE passing judgment on him as "a disappointment." His numbers have, for the most part, improved every year - and hell, even the numbers he posted after his pneumonia were better than the numbers he posted the year before.

19 goals for a third-line player is respectable. Also:

1) Flash posted the 7th-best points on the team last year, behind Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Laich, and Kozlov.

2) For goals alone, he posted the 6th most on the team, behind Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Laich, and Backstrom.

3) In S%, he was second on the team, behind only Semin, with 14.5%.

So, I once again disagree with you about Flash having peaked, and about him being less valuable than some of the studs in Hershey.

He took, in his 73 games, only 20 PIMs, as well, and that is important, too. He was 18th in the team, and everyone who finished with fewer also played considerably fewer games.

Flash plays right wing naturally, and is the best of our right wingers (the others being Fehr, Bradley, and Clark, not counting Andrew Gordon and Graham Mink (who isn't a Bear any more, but neither of whom posted any kind of decent numbers to speak of)).

Of the studs in Hershey:

Aucoin's S% is 13.3, and third on the team.
He scored 2 goals in 12 games (.167). He is a center, not a right wing.

Beagle played 3 games, didn't score at all. He's also a center.

Giroux played 12 games, scored 1 goal... nowhere near the stud numbers he posted in Hershey this year. He's a left wing.

Bourque (another left wing - see a pattern here?) - scored 1 goal in 8 games played. He posted better numbers in Chocolatetown, too.

Osala played two games, didn't score any goals.

Laing played one game, and ruptured his spleen, so we don't know how his season would have played out.

Where are the great studs from Hershey who can play Flash's position?

Posted by: irockthered | August 5, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse