Morning Reading List: Confusion Surrounds Report

Police found $200,000 worth of steroids in the home of Richard and Sandra Thomas, along with shotguns, handguns and one automatic weapon. (Photo Courtesy Polk County Sheriff Via Associated Press)

A Florida man was busted for possession of roughly $200,000 worth of steroids and other drugs in his home on Tuesday, and, according to the sheriff handling the case, he named two Washington pro sports teams -- the Capitals and the Nationals -- as clients.

And while Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said, "I have absolutely nothing to corroborate those statements," the speculations, the accusations, the jokes about the Nats' bullpen not being in on the deal had already begun circulating around the country. We'll be following this story, of course, and will post any updates here.

Check out the Caps' reactions here and the Nats' reactions here.

A few quick links:

* From the Caps' Web site: "Be sure not to miss Ted Leonsis' Owner's Corner live video podcast on Thursday, May 28, at 2 p.m. The Owner's Corner adds an interactive element this year as Ted responds to your questions live via email or instant messenger."

* The Red Wings are sorry if Sergei Fedorov is actually leaving the NHL. (Detroit News)

* Karl Alzner looks to return for the Hershey Bears in Game 3 of the finals. (Patriot-News)

* Detroit gets a chance to defend its title against Pittsburgh thanks to its supporting cast. (The Hockey News)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 28, 2009; 9:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHLPA Releases Statement
Next: Leonsis: 'I Was Horrified'

Comments

@Puckguru: You are far from a hockey guru. To put Nick Backstrom in the same class as Eric Fehr and Thomas Fleishman is flat out ignorant. Yes you are ignorant. Backstrom has 21 points in 21 playoff games and was 10th, TENTH, in the league in scoring this season. He averaged 1.07 Point per game and only finished 15 points behind Crosby (seems to be the bar even though he finished 3rd in scroing). He is also outstanding in our zone.

I am so tired of self proclaimed experts making stupid statements. Before he leaves Washington he will be key in winning a couple of Stanley Cups, and will also land a Selke or two.

I agree with you on Fedorov and Kozlov but if you were being serious about Backstorm, I say again, you are ignorant.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 28, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

By the way puckguru(?) Backstrom (88 points)smoked his Calder class from last season. Toews (69 points) and Kane (70 Points). During this season's playoffs Backstrom may have had less goals, but had more points than both of them too. Backstrom (14 games, 15 points, +3), Kane (16 games, 14 points, -9), Toews (17 games, 13 points, -1). Backstrom is quietly becoming a superstar, and YOU don't even see it. You are S L O W, and have no fire in your belly.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 28, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

That stuff is right next to the potato salad at the Hogan family barbeques.

Posted by: Section117 | May 28, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

What a mess. This guy needs to be flubberboarded until he recants.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 28, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the pictures of the drugs, does anybody else think the Polk County Sheriff's Dept takes their cues from the highway police in Super Troopers. All they are missing in the pictures are themselves flexing and holding guns. Amateurs.

Posted by: makplan20002 | May 28, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru isn't a fan of any team. Just enjoys stirring things up spouting negativity and absurd predictions. Actually, "enjoys" is probably a stretch, because I don't think he could find joy in anything.

Posted by: _Mark | May 28, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru came back! woo hoo! must be the offseason! Now Cheef needs to show up, and my week will be complete!

Posted by: Leeguru | May 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that the stuff Puck (sic) guru said about Backstrom is some of the stupidest stuff I've ever read.

Let's do the math. There are 30 teams in hockey with 12 forwards each. That's 360 total forwards. Backstrom #10 in scoring among forwards puts him in the top 3%.

And to those who might say he only got so many points because he was playing alongside Ovechkin: It didn't work that way with Kozlov, did it?

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 28, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Osgood's got a man-crush on feds.

Interesting that Babcock went out of his way to say that he felt Fedorov could still play in the NHL as a regular line-up d-man.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

fleischmann and fehr should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as backstrom...

Nik B. is an elite NHL forward. he plays both ways 5-5, on the top powerplay and PK...and is a top 10 scorer. to say that he only gets so many points b/c he is feeding to OV is like saying that OV would not score so many goals without #19 feeding him the puck. silly. they are both elite talents and have excelled on lines without each other.

Posted by: carsonspence | May 28, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else see Puckguru and Cheef as the old man/woman on your street who sits on their porch threatening to keep all the kids' baseballs, basketballs, soccer balls that land in their yard? Or the disheveled man/woman wandering city streets talking to themselves. While mental instability is nothing to joke about, the mental instability displayed by both Puckguru and Cheef is a free for all. Laugh away at those a$$hats.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 28, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

did anyone watch the immediate post game interviews ont he ice last night? So someone askd Osgood, "Sidney Crosby picked up the trophy because he said they didn't last year and things didn't end the way he wanted, so he figured he'd try picking it up this year. Are you going to pick up the trophy?"

To which Osgood replied, "Not picking it up last year worked out pretty well, so we'll just stick with that, thanks." Awesome.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Why did the Polk County sheriff go public with the allegations w/o corroboration? Is he mad at Olie or Halpern? Does he have something to hide? One of many stories on cops juicing:

Posted by: uncatim | May 28, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

What is funnier:

Puckguru saying Nicky isn't a elite NHL guy?

That Nicky's wieght is still listed at 183 pounds?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Looks like this guy wasn't only dealing in Steroids... There are some bottles of EPO in the back on the left side... Chinese imports... stuff principally made to treat kidney diseases but also used for doping... Also has the "Clear" creme, same product that Barry Bonds used for his "rheumatism". Quite a nice pharmacy there, with pills, injectables, topic drugs, slow release patches... just missing a IV equipment...... and some reading materials...

Moron, but I guess, people have a right ot put whatever they want in their body, same as smokers...

Posted by: atybat | May 28, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

uncatim, this was poste d afew threads back, speculating why the Polk County sheriff went public:

I bet this is how it went down in the " interrogation room"...

SHERIFF: You sell steroids?

R.Thomas: Yes, I am the Pfizer of illegal steroids.

SHERIFF: You sell to pro athletes?

R.Thomas: Sure..all of them

SHERIFF: I want specific teams..unless you want a bath from Mr. Waterboard..I want teams...

R.Thomas: Well..what teams do you hate most..you want headlines?

SHERIFF: I hate that damn Ovechkin and his hot sticks scoring all over Tampa Bay..we havent sniffed a win vs them in years

R.Thomas: Ok fine..I sold to the Washington Nationals

SHERIFF: Nationals?? But Ovechkin plays for the Capitals.

R. Thomas: Oh..sorry..OK..fine, I sold to them too.

SHERIFF: Thanks..someone get St. Pete Times on the phone..I got a "hot stick" of a story...

End of conversation...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Over 10,000 tickets sold so far for the Moose game. Going to be a full house of 15,000 by Saturday and as loud as any NHL playoff game. Hope the Bears are ready for it.

I don't see the post about Backstrom but someone's on crack if they think he isn't a top tier player in the league.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@Stu_c: If you have time take a look at Puckguru's comments regarding Backstrom from the previous thread. His bonehead comments are near the end of the last thread so it's not hard to find.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 28, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

RedBirdie: I knew it!

Posted by: uncatim | May 28, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

shhhh, i liked it better when no one knew how great Backie is! He's like our not-so-secret weapon, love it. Let everyone underestimate him, its better that way.

re the sheriff: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Okay, found them. That's about the worst assessment of a player I've ever seen. But I don't think it's really an assessment because he's obviously never seen Backstrom play. Aside from Ovechkin and Green, Backstrom is the Capital you absolutely can't get rid of. I'd sooner trade Semin than Backstrom. More overall value to the team IMO. But I'm not suggesting to get rid of Semin.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 28, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

If anyone caught the Wings game last night, how about that save by Huet late in the third. Yeah, he had a pretty miserable year, but the calmness with which he made a pretty incredible save with his leg while prone, made me remember all th great play he brough us last year.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | May 28, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

That was a remarkable save by Huet. I'd still rather have him over Jose if the money was square.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 28, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It was a great save by Huet and did bring back memories...

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Huet's save was amazing. There was definitely luck involved, but still amazing.

Posted by: uncatim | May 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Rumor mill..take this with many grains of salt and i only heard second hand so....

With Renney in Edmonton, they are interested in Nylander...and Jagr, by the way...I assume they'd get Nylander for less than the entire salary...caps pay partial

Posted by: NJNJ | May 28, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Huet's problem, or his reputation, is that's he's delicate. I don't believe he's ever played 50 games in a season.

Credit Jose for not having a total meltdown in game 7 when he got thorwn back on the ice after not playing for over 2 weeks. Personally, I was expecting the worst.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Teams can no longer to the whole "we'll pay part of the salary if you'll take him off our hands" thing. And I can't see Mrs. Nylander wanting to go to Edmonton. If she didn't want to two years ago, she's not going to want to go now. And it all comes down to the whole if Mrs. Nylander uses her veto power, Nylander will turnn down the trade.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

With Varlamov, we wouldn't need Huet to have played 50 games.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 28, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

So anyone worried about losing Kozlov? Not me. How about Brash? No, not really. Feds? Maybe a little considering after Backis, the Caps don't have a 2nd line center unless Nyles gets a Miracle from Miracle Max. That's a lot of freed cap space for a couple blueliners and maybe even a 2nd line center.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Didn't get to see the Huet save but got the play by play over the phone. Did you guys think it was better than Varly's stick save on Crosby?

Without seeing it the main difference, IMO, is that we ended up winning that game so that marked a turn of momentum whereas the Hawks still lost in overtime.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Varly spent the majority of the season in Hershey and injured.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

The save by Huet last night was not better than Varly's save in Game 1 against the Pens but it still was very nice. It preserved the tie (with about 25 seconds to go in the third) and allowed the game between the Wings and Hawks to go to OT.

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 28, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

mrszilla, it wasn't better than Varly's stick save, but it was still pretty sick.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Huet's save in the waning seconds of regulation was astounding. Huet could have easily let that one in, but to anticipate that Franzen would go high and actually react in time to make a difference is amazing.

Posted by: 106T | May 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Huet gets style points for the scorpion tail.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Varly's save was better. He stopped the puck with the elbow of the stick. Little bit of luck that the puck was dead center of the goal but to turnaround and put the stick down like that was incredible.

Also, Huet's stop was not lucky at all. He saw Franzen(?) was going to lift the puck so he raised his leg. You can clearly see Huet looking over at Franzen.

I believe Turco made a save just like that during the season. I've seen that kind of a save a bunch of times throughout the years.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

And I must add that a photo of Varly's goal line stick save on Crosby is going to be my PCs wallpaper for a good while yet.

Posted by: 106T | May 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Turco's save was nuts because the puck dinged off his skate blade.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see the Pens sweep the Canes whereas the Caps took them to 7. Tells me that the Caps are relatively better than the Canes and close to team returning to the SC. Just wish it wasn't Pissburgh. Go Redwings!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 28, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

When do we find out about all the injuries the Canes were suffering from?

Posted by: oo7 | May 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

what, you mean besides "Rod Brind'Amour is old and slow"?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and about that photo of all the gear up at the top there, my sack is shrinking just looking at it all.

Posted by: oo7 | May 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

What pains me about the Pens sweeping the Canes is knowing that the Caps could have beat the Canes, too. If the Caps had just been able to pull out the win in game 7, then it would have been the Caps beating the Canes in round 3 and moving on to the Cup finals. I'm still soooo disappointed about the disaster that was game 7.

Posted by: tess2201 | May 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Varly got tired at the end of the series with the Pens. BB should have rested him for either game 4 or game 5 (the two back-to-back games) and then gone back to a rested Varly for the rest of the series.

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru,

Interesting opinion on Nicky. If you don't find him to be a number one center, who is? Give us some examples of who fits the bill in your opinion.

Personally, I disagree with you. Nicky is a solid two way player. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Steve_R | May 28, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Steve_R

Now, YOU should know better than that! You'll never get an answer to that type of question form Puckguru! His sole objective in life is to tear things down. Preferably in the most painful way possible.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't need to read the comments on Backstrom. 8 and 19 are the most important players - the best players - on this team, by far. Both are top 10 NHL guys.

Posted by: saintex | May 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

While that may be true, I figured I'd ask anyway to see if he'd throw out some examples.

Posted by: Steve_R | May 28, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

People, people, some calm in here. We have much, much bigger problems to deal with than The Bears, some delusional Walmart bag boy with dreams of becoming Florida's Victor Conte, and what Redbirdie may or may not have said to Moose. The third sign of the apolocypse is upon us: The Penguins are in the Finals and should be the favorites. I think I read in the New New Testament (or New Republic, I get them confused) that this is the sign Satan will rise and take over the earth. When Satan rises, we must have our energy to fight him. With the temporary loss of the Social Safeway, we are going to have to buy bread, milk, toilet paper, duct tape, garbage bags, beer, and whatever they ingest in Section 117 during times of crisis from the Soviet Safeway or Whole Foods. Satan doesn't like sunlight, crucifixs, or stakes through his heart... wait, that's Dracula. Satan's wife doesn't let him have red meat... wait, that's Dick Cheney. Clearly, it's our responsibility to protect the world from this impending evil. People, some research on what we need to do to kill Satan after he rises.

Posted by: Matt23185 | May 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Operating under the assumptions that Kozlov and Fedorov are going to be gone, and that Nylander will remain terrible, what are the Caps going to do about second line center? Seems to me that identifying the correct player to fill that spot is going to be key.

I don't really see any fits on the current NHL roster, so the Caps could either make a trade, promote someone from Hershey (Aucoin?), or address the need via free agency.

If they go the free agency route, I wonder if they'd consider going after Michael Cammalleri. I know he played wing this past season, but I believe center is his natural position, and it looks like he's decent on faceoffs. Of course, I haven't really see him play much as he's in the Western Conference.

Posted by: cainoo7x | May 28, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

My apologies if someone else brought this up earlier and I missed it...

Raise your hand if you agree that BB should consider changing the name of his post-practice skills game --- Juice Boy.

Posted by: tess2201 | May 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"The third sign of the apolocypse is upon us: The Penguins are in the Finals and should be the favorites. I think I read in the New New Testament (or New Republic, I get them confused) that this is the sign Satan will rise and take over the earth."

I'm not sure about rising and taking over the earth, but Satan did get called back up to the big club and he replaced Sykora in the lineup.

Posted by: cainoo7x | May 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Post of the year!

things to do to help prevent Satan from winning it all:

Watch the leapord seal eats penguins video. repeatedly. send to all Wings fans you know. tell them to pass it on to the team with the instructions "Be the leapord seal!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wYy-YBkE0

Make Crosby, Malki, Guerin, Kunitz (you get the picture) voodoo dolls. cut their achilles. run over them with your car. let the neighbor dog do vile things to them.

Remember that, as much as it pains be to say it, the Wings are better than the Caps, but the Penguins needed:

1. Seperated shoulders
2. broken feet
3. immobilized thumbs
4. lots of lucky bounces
5. terrible, one-sided officating
6. the best player in the world playing through injuries
7. SEVEN games

to get past the Caps. The Wings have got this one all wrapped up, no worries. Plus, they ahve their secret weapon: Chris Osgood, version: "I don't lose in the playoffs"

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

wait, what did I say to Moose? (who is Moose?)

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I want hockey pucks to Crosby's ugly mug. Another knee on knee with Gonchar. Let's see him pull another recovery out of his a$$. A nice solid cross check on Orpik's lower back would be classic. Detroit, make it so!!!!

Go Wings! Go Bears! Go Stingrays!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 28, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

and how did I miss that Social Safewya is closed? Not that I shopped there, because I live near Hoodtastic Safeway (or maybe its Soviet safeway--its really quite awful). Besides, Social Safeway patrons would never go to Soviet Safeway, they'd be at Whole Foods on Wisconsin Ave in Glover Park.

I don't know what the ingest in section 117, but we're partial to beer and Noah's pretzels in section "man, I need a Sherpa to reach my seat!"

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Tess: That is funny! My hand is raised.

Posted by: uncatim | May 28, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

After he rises, Satan has a healthy breakfast and a cardio workout. He's still aiming for a spot on new jersey's roster...

Posted by: redlineblue | May 28, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | May 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Richards, Pronger, Chara, Getzlaf, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterburg and that top 10 list doesn't even include goalies. Backstrom is not top 10. Maybe more in the 20th best player range. Maybe.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

speaking of New Jersey, I got into a discussion of a friend of mine who doesn't watch hokcey, doesn't like hockey, and, uh, would fit right in with the Dupont crowd. Anyways, he says "Oh yeah, we used to go to Devils games with youth group all the time. My mom made me put up the give-away Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermeyer posters because she wouldn't let me hang up gymastics posters. Were those guys actually any good?" He couldn't figure out why I was laughing so hard.

but back to the discussion on how to prevent Satan from coming. I'm pinning all my hopes on filling Osgood's gatorade bottle with Holy Water.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Satan hasn't been scary since he played for Buffalo.

Posted by: thiazzi | May 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Satan hasn't been scary since he played for Buffalo.

I believe he went by "Hasek" back then :)

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm moose and the only thing RedBirdie said to me (actually more of a general comment) is that Turco made the save with his skate blade. I'm confused.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 28, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

On the Varly v. Huet save, I'll go with this: Varly's save was better from a pure athleticism standpoint. But Huet's was better from the "I'm a savvy vet and I'm going to assume he's going high and I'll rob him three card monte dealer" department. Both great saves, but fundamentally different in character.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | May 28, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

sorry, Moose. I skimmed though the comments to see what I might have said, but I was looking for an "@Moose" att he beginning of a post.

Shall we place discussion of saves by skate blades/lag pads behind us and unite in the quest to prevent Satan from rising while searching through Whole Foods for bread, milk, toilet paper, duct tape, garbage bags, beer, and whatever they ingest in Section 117 during times of crisis?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

It's ok guys!! This is exactly (ok not exactly, because otherwise we would be there instead, but exactly post 2nd round) the set up I wanted. We have our Pens playoff curse and I can't wait until two years in a row solidifies the Red Wing curse on the Pens. Can you imagine losing TWICE IN A ROW in the FINALS to the SAME TEAM! That's what I call soul crushing. Way better revenge in the long haul.

To help all this I will partake in good ol voodoo dolls and sweet talking satan into switching teams to root for. I can be very persuasive, and will offer up all of your souls as payment. Hope that's ok!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Backstrom is going to get a similar contract to Green...

What do you think Green would get if he was up for a new contract this year?

Posted by: SA-Town | May 28, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Green might be able to pull in $6mil or more if he was negotiating this year. Yeah yeah yeah, playoffs, I saw, but he also was improved defensively this year, set a new goal scoring record, and topped 30 goals by a D-man for the first time in like 16 years. He's up for the Norris at 23, for crying out loud. And he did all that playing in only 68 games this year.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

You can't speculate on Backstrom's contract. How he performs next year will determine how much he will make.

Green was somewhat of a steal....Honestly, I thought his 18 goals or whatever last year was sort of a fluke. Then he proved me wrong by scoring 30.

Although it has been addressed, I want to comment on the idiocy of puckguru's assessment of Backstrom. He isn't exactly Crosby, but he is definetely one of the top 5 center man in the league, given his age.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 28, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I have to say- thank gd Backie "isn't exactly Cindy". Yuck.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

all I can say if I hope they lock Nicky up for a loooooong time.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Backstrom was 10th in the league in scoring last season, that's where top 10 came from. He is also still 9th if playoff scoring even though he has played less games than players that have played more games than him. He was ranked 6th in scoring among centers in the league.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 28, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who picks Crosby over Backstrom on their fantasy team, biases aside, is smoking crack.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

That's supposed to say Backstrom over Crosby.

Backstrom would be manning my second line though.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 28, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom was also a fairly impressive +16 this season. He's also durable--he's yet to miss a game since the started with the Caps on Opening Night 2007!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the last part of my last entry was redundant. Let's say he is still 9th in playoff scoring even though he was placed on vacation 2 weeks ago, and besides Ovi, Semin, Perry, and Getzlaf, every other player in the top 16 has played at least 2 more games. He's a core guy so he will be paid accordingly after next season. If he plays 75 or more games he will probably break 100pts next season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 28, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

phil-

That's only because "whinning" isn't included in fantasy hockey (at least to my knowledge it doesn't officially change your standings).

Maybe I am smoking crack but I wouldn't want Cindy on my team, real or fantasy. I think that would work out just about as well as Jagr, except I would be angry from the start vs being angry at the end of that ordeal.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

*whining

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe if they threw all the players back into a pot, and redrafted, the Caps would have the following players drafted:

Ovechkin - 1st Overall

Green - one of the first three defensemen taken, along with Chara and Phaneuf

Backstrom - Would be Top 10 for forwards, especially given his age

Semin - likely in Top 25 for forwards, maybe upper 2nd round overall

Varlamov - might be in Top 5 for goalies, given age, maybe ahead of guys like Thomas, who have less years to left to play

Carlson and Alzner - I would guess they'd each be in the Top 50 for defensemen, Top 200 overall

Neuvirth - maybe Top 20 for goalies, given age

Everyone else is a role player. Excuse me, Brooks Laich would be in the Top 10 rounds (out of 23 rounds overall, since each team would need 23 players)

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

No Bias against Sid with the exception he's from Nova Scotia. I still think Nicky is the better passer and I think you will see Backstrom out assist Sid soon... It may not be this season but it will happen.

This is a kid that is the real deal and I think has a lot more natural ability. (just my opinion)

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 28, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom is tied for 9th with Savard on points. NHL.COM stats.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 28, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

someone would pounce on Steckel. took him forever to turn into an NHL level guy, but jesus, I'd want a face off wizard who kills penalties effectively and aggressively with the wingspan of a 747 on my team. he may be a "role" guy, but he's one of the role guys you need.

plus, he saves kittens (just for rachel!)

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I can deal with Crosby's whining if he plays like he does now.

Jagr happened. Crosby is just a hypothetical.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 28, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 28, 2009 2:27 PM |

Just because everyone wants to downplay Crosby's style of play, doesn't mean it is any less skillful. Again, if standing in the crease is so easy, why does no one on our team do it consistently? It ain't easy.

I also don't care if Backstrom out-assist Crosby, the finisher is just as important as whoever started the play. a point is a point is a point, and right now Crosby has more.

Look, I am not down-playing Backstrom. I called him one of the top 5 centers in the league. I am just stating that in a vacuum circumstance (future considerations don't matter here), I would take Crosby over Backstrom.

I think that Crosby's leadership needs to be pointed out as well. Make fun of their crash and burn regular season all you want, he brings his A game to every playoff game. Granted, Backstrom is one of FEW players on our team that gives it his all every game as well.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 28, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

"If Crosby and Ovechkin played on the same line, that team would win the Cup. What was it...27 points scored between them in that 7 game series? "

I don't agree necessarily. It still comes down to who is on the blue line.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Phil, but your theoreticals are making me nauseous. My bias cannot be overcome.

And I do believe that Backs will outshine some of those other 10 very soon. He's such an intelligent player but I think he still has room to get better, which is something you can't really say about Cindy, Ovie or Malkin (if you don't count the playoff goal drought).

Stecks was sick in the playoffs. Absolutely sick. I've always liked his play but man he took it up a notch.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: Look, Crosby DOES NOT stand in the crease, he stands next to the net. Players like Holmstrom stand IN THE CREASE and take a beating. Even NHL on the Fly can't get that right. Give me one replay of Crosby standing with his back to a goaltender, creating a screen, and then trying to stash garbage. Crosby stands in the crease as much as Briere. Crosby stands off to the side, out of reach, and when the loose puck comes to him he stashes it. I'm not going to knock it because it works. I totally disagree with anyone trying to say he is willing to take a beating in the crease to get a goal, because he doesn't.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 28, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie

What's up with the Dupont crowd comment? I'm crushed.

Posted by: pstenigma | May 28, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

"If Crosby and Ovechkin played on the same line..."

There would be blood. Those two would rub each other the wrong way even more if they were on the same team. It wouldn't work.

Posted by: pstenigma | May 28, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Live Scores, live scores, live odds comparison,match data, live tv in sports
Totally free and live online, live scores&odds on your side

Posted by: suewin123 | May 28, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse