Morning Reading List: Detroit Goes Up 2-0

New year, same result: Just as they did last season, the Red Wings swept the first two games in Detroit and will head to Pittsburgh armed with a dangerous lead over the Penguins.

From the AP: "Game 3 is Tuesday night, and the odds favor the Red Wings' quest to become the NHL's first repeat champion since they did it in 1997 and '98. Teams that win Games 1 and 2 at home have captured the Cup 31 of 32 times."

* But the Pens shouldn't panic, says The Hockey News' Ryan Dixon. The fact that Detroit goalie Chris Osgood had to make 31 saves in Game 2 should give Pittsburgh some hope.

* The NHL rescinded its suspension of the Penguins' Evgeni Malkin, who got an instigator penalty for his fight with Henrik Zetterberg in the final five minutes -- usually an automatic one-game suspension. The right call?

Bears Up 1-0 in Calder Cup Final

* Thanks to Alex Giroux's hat trick, including an overtime goal -- his fourth extra-time game-winner with Hershey -- the Bears beat the Manitoba Moose, 5-4, in Game 1 to take an early series lead. Game 2 is tomorrow in Winnipeg at 8:30 p.m. (Patriot-News)

* Giroux had to make a tough decision late last season, when he was with the Chicago Wolves and not getting enough playing time. Giroux requested a trade back to Hershey and missed out on a championship, but now, it looks like he made the right choice. (Vancouver Sun)

* Check out the Game 1 gallery here. (theAHL.com)

Some Extras

* The NHL has started looking into the allegations made by a Florida man arrested last week on steroid charges. So far, the league doesn't see any connection to the Capitals.

* The Dallas Stars have decided to go with former player Joe Nieuwendyk as GM. (AP)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 1, 2009; 10:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL Opens Investigation
Next: Feds Take Over Fla. Steroids Case

Comments

From previous thread: cocorules: Are you implying that after Malkin tripped Kronwall at the point and then went on a breakaway and was stopped that he should have gotten a penalty shot? How about Helm getting slashed across the hands on his breakaway. My point is neither team is being called. Is it because it is the Stanley Cup Finals or because it is the Pens and Red Wings. Most EC fans would say it's because it's the Pens, and WC fans would say it's because it's the Red Wings.

Regardless of any of that Crosby's two handed cross-check to Zetterberg's face was an extremely dirty and dangerous move. Zetterberg didn't go down like a sack of potatoes though so since he didn't exaggerate Crosby got away with it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 1, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

As others have noted, rescinding malkin's instigator may or may not be the right call but the NHL has been very inconsistent in meting out "justice" throughout the playoffs.

Posted by: uncatim | June 1, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

pens blow!! Kronwall needs to "Havlat" Malkin. seriously, what a bunch of skating d-bags!

Posted by: doughless | June 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Bettman has been on the Pissburgh bandwagon for years. Is there any surprise that Malkin got off?

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 1, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Of course the NHL rescinded it's suspension of Malkin. We can't have the Pens not have their best player now can we. What a joke. The NHL doesn't even try to hide the fact that they do whatever is necessary to keep series going as they want it to go - which I guess now includes not suspending players for suspendable offences.

Now I really hope the Wings sweep.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 1, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: Were this new, I'd say it's simply because it's the finals. The thing is, it's not. Let's not kid ourselves here - the Pens got away with murder, not just in our series, but in all of the series they played in the EC. I am still not convinced that they would have gotten past the Caps without a little help from the refs, in Game 3 especially. And the Canes in the regular season were one of the lowest-PIM teams in the league, and still the Pens got more PP's than they did. Funny-looking? A little bit, but not enough by itself to accuse anyone of fixing.

This is blatant, though; whether they intend it or not, this sort of inconsistency and apparent favoritism is fueling the outcome-fixing theory. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but there's a saying - "once is chance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is a conspiracy." There's just too much evidence on the table to suggest that the NHL is taking more interest in the outcome than they probably should be.

As for the way it was called, I don't mind loose or tight refing so long as it's consistent and the same for both teams. It's not consistent, and it's seeming to favor the Pens.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Malkin better watch himself. You just know that Kronwall is itching to hit him HARD because of that little stunt.

You know the one position where the detroit system is weak? Goalie. And what team seems ot have more talented young goalies than they know what to do with, that also could us a gritty forward or maybe a beatly D-man? hmmmm......Mr. Holland, would you perhaps be inetrested in a trade, since Jimmy Howard is NEVER going to make it to the NHL?

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie: Heh. Wonder if Niklas Kronwall might like to be in the same system as his brother. (I haven't done any math at all on the idea, so don't jump me.)

I'd be reluctant to give up Neuvirth yet, though. To me, Neuvirth/Varlamov has shades of Kolzig/Carey in some ways. Varlamov relies on his athleticism, where Neuvirth relies on his technique. Someday that athleticism will abandon Varly, and he'll have to fall back on his technique. I have a sneaking suspicion that both goalies will have successful NHL careers, but that Neuvirth will have the longer career of the two, even if his path to the NHL is slower than Varly's.

It's true, though, that having three promising goalies in the system, one of whom is proven at the NHL level, is a huge bargaining chip. It's just a question of when to use it.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

I concur with your comments on our goalies. You never know which one will be better in the long run, but having three young goalies puts the Caps in a good position to possibly move one of them.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 1, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Howard was called up for a fill-in start this year and presumably has the inside track as Osgood's backup next year. Larsson & McCollum might give them runs as they develop as well.

Posted by: Section117 | June 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@Mreilly9: I'd bet on any major splash trade this offseason involving one of Neuvirth, Holtby, or Varlamov, although as I said, I'd seriously hesitate on moving a goalie before we know what Holtby's got, so they might let the goalie situation simmer one more season.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

What I don't understand is why the NHL has rules if they don't enforce them. Its a black and white issue, but they still apply selective choice to it. Of course they'd probably have done the same if it had been Ovechkin in Malkin's place, but it still doesn't make it right.

The other thing is the officials botched the rules in their penalty assessments. Malkin was deemed to be an instigator and received two for the instigator, five for fighting and a game for being the aggressor. He wears a face shield. That means he should have been assessed an extra unsportsmanlike conduct, which would have been another two minute minor. He also didn't have his jersey tied down and it came off. This means he should have received an extra game misconduct. But Malkin should have received two for instigating, two for unsportsmanlike conduct, five for fighting, and two game misconducts. Why is all of that important? Because the rules state:

"In Playoff games, any player or goalkeeper who incurs a total of two game misconduct penalties in the “General Category” shall be suspended automatically for the next Playoff game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty during the Playoffs, the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game."

So not only should Malkin have been suspended one game for being the instigator in the final five minutes of the game, he should have been given two game misconducts which would call for another game suspension. Now again, I'm not saying that would be justified given the actions, but when the referees deemed Malkin the instigator the letter of the rulebook states that should have been the outcome.

Zetterberg also didn't have his jersey tied down, however the rules state if the other player is the instigator then you don't get penalized for it. So if Malkin's penalty is rescinded, does that mean Zetterberg should get a game misconduct?

This whole mess just shows to me how terrible the officiating in the NHL is right now and how much of a sham the NHL is when it comes to enforcing the stupid rules they put in place in the first place.

Posted by: StikSav | June 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm kind of shocked that Malkin got unsuspended. I know that the fight was an end of the game frustration fest rather than anything really vicous, but he was trying to punch Zetterberg through the linesman. That's usually a big no-no.

The game's more interesting with him playing, but there really is a separate standard for mega-stars. Anybody else would be suspended. (Brashear would have been banned for life and deported to Canada.)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | June 1, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I went to Game 1 in Detroit Saturday (Rockin the Caps Red) and I gotta say, watching the way Detroit plays is a pleasure. They are so aggressive in the offensive zone, constantly firing one goal, and then everyone immediately jumps back on defense.

Check out when there is a scamble in front of Osgood. All 5 Red Wings are on the ground around the net. It truly is amazing.

When speaking to Red Wings fans they constantly told me how much they are impressed with the Caps and the direction they are heading. Many told me they expect to see the Caps in the finals in 1-2 years and to contend for a long time.

On the flip side, I got nothing but trash talk from the Pitt fans in the stadium, so I was happy to cheer the Red Wings in their beatdown of Crosby/Malkin.

Posted by: adamkatzen | June 1, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Typo I meant firing "on" goal.

Posted by: adamkatzen | June 1, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Malkin should have been suspended. He not only instigated (his hand reached from offscreen to punch Zetterberg), he then swung his stick a couple times at Zetterberg's shoulders (close enough to the head to be reviewable in itself in this new NHL). But as Caps fans everywhere know, since it's Pittsburgh, the fix is in.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | June 1, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The best picture of this fight is on TSN, Malkin looks like a maniac! Bettman would never let them suspend Malkin, it doesn't matter if shanked a player on the ice 1 foot away from a ref...they would find a reason why it wasn't wrong! The NHL wants the Pens to win SO bad, but they can't even manage to get them a win, even with having the refs paid off. The "supposed penalty" the Pens wanted on Hossa, after looking at many replays, if they had called that it would have been really weak. Bettman can't elude the truth that the Red Wings are a better team as a whole than the Pens. I say Wings in 5, I will give the Pens one win at home in OT.

Posted by: NatyBG | June 1, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz,

I agree with your statements 100% (first posting) and I think you said it perfectly. I was talking with some NHL fans yesterday and was telling them without the refs help I don't think we would have lost that series. Game 3 was the game that I referred to specifically stating how one sided that game was officiated and without the bias calls we go up 3-0. I don't think Pitt could beat us 4 games straight with 2 games being at home.

Also, the entire playoffs has been a joke when Pitt plays. Last night I saw Detroit just completely overmatch Pittsburg and Pitt had a lot of plays that were penalty's and not called. However, Detroit was so superior that they still won 3-1. Pitt's players are so frustrated that just like they did against Varly they take a cheap shot at the goalie (although that wasn't near the severity as Varly took). Malkin clearly broke the rules and by every definition should have earned a 1 game suspension based off the NHL's rule book. What happens though? Same thing as always when Pitt's involved the suspension is rescinded. Did you see Malkin trying to hit Zetterberg in the face as the ref held Zetty? Malkin almost hit the ref as a result and he still doesn't get suspended. I've been an NHL fan for 12 years, but this playoffs almost makes you want to stop following the NHL because it's so frustrating.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | June 1, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

somewhere in Russia, Brashear has his shoulders shrugged and his palms to the sky. Campbell effectively ended Brashear's NHL career, and now he rescinds Malkin's suspension. there were also several other un-punished or under-punished incidents after Brashear's...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | June 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 10:54
---------------------
If they trade Neuvy, Rachel will be heartbroken! :)

Posted by: tess2201 | June 1, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

man, Puck daddy just trashes the NHL:

"Last night's fight between Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Henrik Zetterberg of the Detroit Red Wings left us hoping for two things. First, that the influx of North American-born former NHL goons into Russia's hockey league (Chris Simon, etc.) will spawn a new generation of Eastern European brawlers that don't knock themselves down with a missed punch (Geno) or look like they're playing the bongos (you know who).

Our second hope is that the NHL dramatically clarifies, or altogether trashes, its "automatic suspension for an instigator in the last five minutes" rule after this season. Because no matter what sort of deterrent it may be for the shenanigans of headhunting thugs at the end of blowouts, it's also making the League look amateurish in its inconsistent application.

In some cases, downright idiotic."

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Montreal Canadiens will hold a news conference this afternoon at 2pm et when the club will introduce Jacques Martin as their new head coach."

Posted by: uncatim | June 1, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

well now, that's interesting

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Who else here loves the fact that most Pens fans are saying that they're getting jobbed by the refs for not calling "blatant" interference penalties. All I can remember is Pens fans telling us to stop whining about officiating. A sweep would be nice.

Posted by: reesem37 | June 1, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Complaining about blatant interference calls??? Every time a Red Wings player dumps a puck past Gil he runs the same type of interference all big and slow defenseman used before the rule change in the "New NHL." He never gets called. Between that and Orpik "finishing checks" on players that should not be touched because the puck isn't there anymore, the Pens have been getting away with murder. Put those two in Caps jerseys and they're in the box, GUARANTEED.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Now, Malkin only has two points, and Crosby has NONE, so yes, the Detroit Red Wings are interfering with Crosby's attempt to win his first Stanley Cup.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

remember who we are talking about here: The Penguins and their fans, widely regarded as the whiniest and classless in the whole NHL.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201: /I'd/ be heartbroken. I adore Neuvirth. :D

@DcSportsFan28: Thanks.

General question: Is there this much bullcrap about the refereeing in the playoffs every year?

@reesem37: Yes, the shoe's on the other foot now, isn't it? The fact is that both teams got away with murder last night. There were a lot of non-calls on both sides, and I think it all evened out in the end.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Stik, are we sure his fight strap wasn't tied down? His jersey and pads were completely stripped. To me, that seems to suggest that it was tied down, and that his pads were pulled off as his jersey was yanked.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 1, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

They won't trade Neuvy...that would be a disgrace! I have been to a few Bears game in the last month and he has looked as solid a Varly. Goaltending is our weakness, well besides our defense, and here is our answer Neuvy and Varly. They won't cost us a lot for a while, so we keep them both until one out shines the other and then trade one when their price goes up. We don't need to give away young talent, we need to get rid of the old and hopeless (there are a few to choose from).

As far as the Pens, they won't see a cup again this year...well they will see it, but it will be in Lidstrom's hands! And for their fans...get a job and quit whinning!

As far as Brashear in Russia, my sister saw him yesterday in South Jersey, the questions begin!

Posted by: NatyBG | June 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I was not planning to watch the Finals because I thought it was a given that the NHL was going to automatically crown those "Darling" Pens with their "Sweet-looking" Crosby and his "Manly, Cheap-shot Artist" side-kick, Malkin. However, I love the "Spunk" and "Screw You" attitude that the Detroit Red Wings are displaying, despite all "interferences" by the NHL officials, Vice-President and Commissioner. I hope Detroit do win the series against the Pens and make them suffer for another year. If they do, they will definitely be my other "Rock the Red" NHL team!

Posted by: JohnWWW | June 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit to being busy but what I've seen of them, these finals have been great - both teams super fast and smart. The Wings are superbly organized on defense - I hope the Caps are watching.

@kittypawz - excellent analysis of goaltenders, I agree, Neuwirth may be the better prospect.

Posted by: WritingLight | June 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Kitty:
Regarding your general question, just watch the Caps/Flyers series from last season and you'll get your answer (if nothing else, you would think that Huet had been offering piggyback rides). I think it gets down to the fact that they tend to ref more loosely during the playoffs. I don't have a problem with that (and frankly think there is some merit to doing that during the regular season), I just don't get how/when they then do decide to make calls. It's been said before but I'll say it again - it's an (in)consistency issue.

Posted by: Boo- | June 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1: I am also relishing the fact that Crosby has no goals so far. I would so love it if he remained goal-less during the entire series.

Posted by: caraveli | June 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

Don't know if you read this, but here is what I said last night about the Malkin thing:
@Boo
I actually don't mind that they don't get suspended. In fact, I want all the good players in to make a good series. I mean, watching it, it really wasn't that bad.

Now the Walker incident played out almost exactly like the Brash incident, except worse. In that case, I want to see retribution. Cheap shots, etc.

But I don't want to see them get suspended for something petty like instigator or tie down. If one of them cheap shotted one good or something, then I would feel differently.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 31, 2009 11:52 PM |

Posted by: doughless | June 1, 2009 10:13 AM

The correct term is "Kronwall'd"

Speaking of, did anyone see him leave his feet on a hip check? LOL..haven't seen that since Vladdy Konstantinov.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov will probably be wanting a huge long-term contract when his time comes. Goalies don't carry a team in the playoffs and then not get their just price.

I think that kittypawz is right when she says we need to wait another year. Or at least until next year's deadline. I want to see Varlamov play 40+ games in a regular season, before I am willing to give up our other probable #1's.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
I think they are silly rules (i.e. both the instigator and especially the tie-down) and didn't think he was much of an instigator, anyway - he was standing up for his player, as was Hank ... it was more of a big scrum than anything. But once the call is made, the retribution should be consistent.

Posted by: Boo- | June 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, okay. I see your point. Don't rescind your rules, but there should have never been an instigator in the first place.

Yeah, that would seem to make more sense, but this is the NHL we are talking about...

If anything, Satan should have received a third man in, and since he is pretty much useless, suspend him. And the only thing that Malkin did to piss me off was the fact that he was trying to punch Z with his stick in his hand. That is just dangerous.

RE: goalie situation

San Jose had a similar situation. Toskala, Kippy, and Nabokov (all current #1's) were all in their system at the same time. It seemed to work out well for them..they kept Nabby (arguably the best out of the 3), and got much stock for Kippy and Toskala.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

If I were a mean person, I would probably go buy an octopus and toss it on my buddy's driveway for him to see it when he leaves for work in the morning.

But I am not like that.....or am I?

o_O

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | June 1, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi folks. I don't mean to distract us from the riveting conversations taking place here but, sadly, I've identified a problem that needs our attention. We need to journey to Pittsburgh, go to Mario's house, go to the basement, and have an intervention with Mr. Sidney Crosby. We need to tell him to shave or, at least, rub some Propecia on his face (or however you take that stuff). Like any delusional person, Mr. Crosby seems to think he has grown a legitimate playoff beard. It's not. I once picked up a "girl" on Mass Ave who had a better beard; of course, if I had looked a little closer I would have seen "her" Adam's apple and wouldn't have been so surprised when we got back to the Hilton. But, that's a different story and probably something that I should bring up with Carolyn Hax. Anyway, how about we get some razors and Propecia, head to Mario's (I've heard his wife makes great cupcakes) and help out Sid The Kid?

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 12:23 PM
---------------------------------------

Whoa whoa whoa, let's step back a second. I hate the Penguins as much as the next self-respecting Caps fan, but their fans are aren't even the worst in their division. I'd argue third-worst, in fact.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | June 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil: I've got two reasons for arguing to wait another year, and yours is definitely one of them - Varly's got known stamina and injury issues. I want to see him resolve those before we crown him a bona fide #1.

The second is Holtby. It's pretty plain that Neuvirth will probably make it in the NHL given a year or two more. We've never seen him play even at the AHL level. While he sure is a slick-looking goalie prospect from our chairs right now, I want to see what he can do at a professional level before I go assuming that he's a prospect with real NHL potential. Let's see whether Varly can stay in one piece through a full NHL season and whether Holtby's got what it takes to make it to the NHL before we go talking about trades for goalie prospects.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@JohninMpls - The fight strap ties the jersey to the trousers, not to the pads. If the jersey comes all the way off, chances are it was not tied down properly.

Someone pointed out that there should have been A) a game misconduct for the tie-down, B) a game misconduct for the instigator. These two things would have resulted in an automatic one-game suspension. Add that to the automatic one-game suspension tied to the instigator rule, and you have Malkie boy suspended for two games.

BUT the NHL used the loophole created by McCreary and Joanette when they didn't call either game misconduct to say that the instigator penalty shouldn't have been called (bull), and therefore the suspension was unwarranted. They are so full of bologna it isn't even funny.

Posted by: irockthered | June 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the clarification, irock.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

HowdyDCU, what are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? 'Cause whatever you're smoking is making you delusional and seeing the world in a happy light. The Penguin fans are, absolutely, the worst in their division, the conference, and the league. Ranger and Devil fans are obnoxious, but that's New York. What do you expect? Islander fans are just a sad lot. Philly fans, well... obnoxious, yes. But, they are worse to their own fans and to their team than they are to other fans. Penguin fans are in your face obnoxious, they act out of a sense of entitlement, and are the most disrespectful towards hosts, towards guests, and towards the league and sport as a whole.

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it should have been a penalty, or suspension, because I dont think the rule should have been made in the first place. But since it was, if you're not going to enforce rules uniformly and consistently, then wtf is the point of making rules? These rules are only in affect to punish certain players, and that makes the whole thing a biased side show. It looks more and more like the NHL is desperately trying to fabricate a winner by giving one team every chance, under the NHL's power and direction, to come out on top. If Malkin isn't guilty of it, then its not a rule. Since you can't go back in time, change previous suspensions and alter an event, (though quantum mechanics suggests differently), Malkin should be held just as accountable as everyone else was throughout the playoffs.

These a-holes don't even care how blatant their biases are, not with the Pens and officiating, not with the Coyotes and Balsillie, not with attendance numbers, nothing. Get rid of these idiots and get some real people running the NHL.

Posted by: oo7 | June 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I still disagree. The rule is stupid in the first place, but I was expecting them to rescind it anyway.

I mean..really guys..take Malkin (half of the Pens) away from them, and then they will really get swept instead of maybe get swept. Let the flightless foal have their struggling chance, haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Plus, I love to see Malkin frustrated.

calm down shrek.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how the officials feel about how quickly and publicly the NHL front office overruled them and essentially said they were wrong? I wonder if the officials are just as upset at the inconsistency in which the rules are enforced/interpreted? Maybe that has something to do with the inconsistency in officiating.

Posted by: Kim-3 | June 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Philly, Rangers, and Devils fans are all agreessive, obnoxious, etc etc. (Islander fans, i feel for them. I've been there. A decade of sucktasticness? Ugh) But Pittsburgh fans WHINE. That's all the do, when they're not gloating about how the refs helped them win. They whine and cry and sob. Rangers, Flyers, and Devils fans, when they're pissed at you, at least they get mean. Pen fans just cry.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Kim-3, I never considered that officials thought past another doughnut. They probably are more angry at their bosses than we are.

Posted by: uncatim | June 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pens fans and players:

How was your weekend in Detroit?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | June 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Worst Fans (scale of obnoxiousness):
1) Philly- I still believe they are the most obnoxious. Be it directed at their own team or other fans, I believe the are the harshest and most foul-mouthed. Wouldn't dare putting anyone above them. (ex: they boo Santa)
2) Rags- Got to witness their heckling and pettiness first hand. Honestly I think they are the biggest sore losers of the entire league. (ex: they chant @$$hole more synchronized than any pro-rags cheer)
3) Pitts- Self-aggrandizing punks. Serious issues recognizing any legitimacy in any other team. If we were ranking by whiny-ness, they would be first, no doubt about it. Not to mention an endless display of abandonment issues (Kansas city) and daddy issues (Mario). Freud would have a field day.

Goalies: I agree with most people here, I would like to see the Caps organization hold on to all 3 goalies. I agree that we need more time to see how they develop, and considering we have had to deal with inconsistent goaltending for a while now (not including Zilla, he's pardoned). While we could get a pretty penny/player for any of them, I wouldn't want to jump the gun and end up in a Carey situation. Plus if they are all still good then we can still get a great trade in the coming years. Lets hold on to the good cards that we have in areas where our team in weak.

Malkin- Disappointed but not surprised in the least. I'm not one to jump on conspiracy theories but in our series with Pitts it became clear that the league is too invested in the Pens. Wish there was some checks and balances within the league to avoid these conflict of interests, but I guess we all just have to suck it up and hope the Red Wings can dispense the justice the NHL refuses to dole out. Malkin looked like a mad man, and did the nearly impossible- he made (IMO) Brash's hit look like a routine walk in the park. I wonder if the suspension would have gone through if he had actually really hurt someone, although I doubt it.

Let's go Bears! Let's go Red Wings!

Posted by: mrszilla | June 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget the Pens' fans penchant for taking trips down memory lane and using that as a justification for the supposed much-deserved "wins". Tools. The whole lot of them. Absolute tools.

I'll pass on helping Crosby with his penned in playoff "beard". If it's actually legit, I'd prefer to pluck each and every hair strand off his face. Maybe wax it off. *shrug* Of course, his long term humiliation with that thing would be nice too. Goo, Redwings!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Babcock whips out his renowned sarcasm against Crosby!

(make sure you read the whole thing, but this is the good part)

On Sunday, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said of Crosby, "I thought he went headhunting right off the hop. His ability to respond was good. I think that's a game within the game. If you're a hockey purist and you like superstars who bring it, that's a nice matchup."

The headhunting comment didn't go over well with Crosby.

"I'm not going to get involved in his games," he said. "He can say whatever he wants. I don't think I've been known as a headhunter throughout my career. He's the first one ever to say that, so, it's very interesting stuff."

Babcock clarified his statement after Sunday's game. "I misspoke or I didn't speak well," he said, "because to me speaking unfairly about Sidney Crosby would be wrong."

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh and in no way would I ever try to help Cindy get rid of that facial-male-pattern-baldness. His body is pointedly rejecting any attempt he makes to seem manly. It's like the hair follicles are protesting. And I for one support them. If I were them I too would refuse to grow around his mouth, can you imagine having to listen to him all day? No thank you.

Posted by: mrszilla | June 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan: What about an Epilady?

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

guys, i hate the penguins just as much as the rest of you but this isn't the first time this post season that colin campbell has thrown out a suspension for an instigator penalty. scott walker punched aaron ward at the end of canes/bruins game 5 and got a 2 minute instigator penalty but the suspension was tossed. scott walker isn't a super star, by any means. I think the NHL is tacitly implying a desire to change this stupid rule by ignoring the suspension tied to it.

Posted by: capsfansteve | June 1, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie: Hahahahaha. Cindy's no angel when they're down. Valabik and the Panthers center Brian somebody known that all too well.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Babcock is probably the most entertaining coach in Hokcey (Gabby's a close second) because he absolutely refuses to hold back, his tounge drips acid, he reenacted Kronwall's hit on Havlat, and his accent makes even Mike Green sound southern.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

capsfansteve-

Ok, so they are trying to send a message that they don't like that rule. Understood. But to go from that kind of message sending to Brash's suspension- you can't fully enforce one rule and not another. Be it a stupid rule or not, they created it and should have to up hold it. What I take issue with is how the league has begun inconsistently adhering to their own rules. Whether we are all wrong about the leagues favoritism or not, they cannot deny their level of reaction to Brash's hit and Malkin's behavior make it seem like the two incidents happened in different seasons, with different rule books.

Posted by: mrszilla | June 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Like the NBA they adhere or abandon the rules to suit them as they go along. Detroit should take this in five, but it will probably go to six or seven bec of poor calls.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla, brash's suspension was discretionary(at least the 5 games for the hit). Was it too harsh? yes. I thought 2 games max. zetterberg didn't get hurt(fortunately, cuz puck fittsburgh), blair betts did, and combined with brashear's reputation, you got a harsh sentence. waiving the automatic suspension cannot for last 5 minute instigation cannot be compared because its apples and oranges. as I said, scott walker didn't get suspended and he's just a run of the mill guy on the canes.

Posted by: capsfansteve | June 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

capsfansteve:
I agree and brought up the Walker hit myself. My issue is consistency across the board. Neither one should have been waived. At this rate, why bother having rules? If the league finds it necessary to throw stuff like that out then they should start at the source and toss the rule(s).

Posted by: Boo- | June 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla: I agree with your list of fans obnoxiousness. One thing that has always struck me is that the Pens fans seem to have this enormous inferiority complex; I just don’t get it as they have had success over the years against us. I think it really must come down to the cities themselves – DC is the power center of the universe and Pittsburgh is, well, Pittsburgh. Not a bad place per se, but it ain't no DC, warts and all.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

lol! how many guys here are in 117?!? oh and there's a new post!

Posted by: Boo- | June 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pens fans and players:
How was your weekend in Detroit?
Posted by: CTCapsPhan | June 1, 2009
---

Not good. But better than being on the golf course.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The NHL is a gutter league, as this hanky panky with Malkin's suspension amply demonstrates.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 1, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pens fans and players:
How was your weekend in Detroit?
Posted by: CTCapsPhan | June 1, 2009
---

Not good. But better than being on the golf course.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Even with the NHL on your side, you can't win. 2 years in a row must be frustrating. And don't say, "I would rather be in the finals and lose". Not like this.

I like playing golf in the morning and watching the Wings destroy the hopes of the Pens. A great day.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | June 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla: WELL SAID!

Props/Kudos to CTCapsPhan, TheOtherGuyInSection117, kittypawz et al. as well.

www.die_pens_die.com

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: Nope. Too gentle. I want stinging pain. The kind we go through every time we see his adolescent mug, smiling like he's in on the joke that is Bettman and his version of the NHL.

I would rather see the Redwings hoist the Stanley Cup than give the Penguins this season on a silver platter. Go Redwings!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

@Dalliquippa: Really? It's sad when you really can't celebrate a win last night and decide to troll on over here, to try to feel better about yourself, huh? Poor you. Poor friggin' you.

By the way, I dare you to watch last night's game again. Yeah, I didn't think so. Your team s*cked THAT bad. 'nuff said. Stop playing pocket pool with yourself, you hack.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 1, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Look at all these Caps still crying about the Penguins!

I can't wait for Wednesday's Q&A to read all the lies and excuses Jabba-the-Leosnis sells all of you gullible know-nothings so you can go out and buy a fresh round of "Rock the Red" (ghey) t-shirts and naively go on believing your one-dimensional ugly Russian matters to the hockey world.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 1, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66: Speaking of ugly Russians, that Malkin has a face only a mother could love. Maybe Kronwell can re-arrange it. Anything he could do would be a major improvement to what’s there now. The Red Wings are going to win because they are far more talented, have tons more class,and don't whine and cry like the Pens and their fans do.

Posted by: dana2020 | June 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

The "Let 'em play" mentality really baffles me. When it becomes clear that the whistle has been put away, except for only the most egregious of fouls, then a player who knowingly breaks the rules because he knows he can get away with it is cheating, isn't he? It's actually a "Let 'em cheat" mentality. A tough, gritty game can be edge-of-your-seat exciting to watch, but only if it's legitimate. What separates a Lidstrom from a Jeff Schulz in the playoffs if good positioning and smart puck movement can be substituted with hooking, holding or interference without risk of penalty? It should require a well-disciplined team to win the cup. Why does it require two referees for the Stanley Cup? With such a lack of penalties one of them should get an early start on the off-season.

The other thing that annoys me is that the inconsistent penalty calling in the playoffs really diminishes the hard work teams put into establishing their PP. The Caps' 25% PP efficiency during the regular season would only be expected to earn them 1 PPG every 2-3 games in later rounds of the playoffs. When a large percentage of a teams' offense is generated from special teams during the regular season, it should be a real depressing indication to their fans that they're doomed come playoff time. A much feared PP (or the risk of suspension in Malkin's case) should be incentive enough not to commit a penalty in a crucial playoff game, so that if you commit one, it's your own darn fault. The player lets the team down. It's not that the refs didn't let them play.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | June 2, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Wings will win because they're better. Simple. Because they've won, they know how to win, and it's an art, a bit of a Catch 22 situation. Pens are still young and lead by a whiny immature captain who is quickly ticking off players and fans everywhere. Sid needs to grow up and I'm not sure Mario is capable of teaching him.
And Ovie's better.