Morning Reading List: Game 3

(Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post)

Mike Wilbon talks about how the great ones get it and how Alex Ovechkin is one of those great ones. This quote from his column should be all you need to want to read more:

"Or as Leonsis said late Monday night: "Sid is the best white wine the restaurant has to offer. Alex is a Denver Slammer, a shot of tequila in a glass of champagne. You whack the glass so that the fizz is coming up and you just shoot it.""

Although they may hold a two-game lead in this series, the Capitals are acutely aware of how much momentum hangs in the balance of the outcome of tonight's Game 3.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out our interactive shot-tracking graphic that breaks down each of Ovechkin's and Sidney Crosby's shots and goals in the series.

From Metro, the story of two women who have found new friendship and new passion for hockey and the Capitals through the team's success.

Globe and Mail columnist Roy MacGregor discusses the old stereotypes of Russian players and how, especially with Ovechkin, things have come very far from the days when they were dismissed as "robots."

If you think the playoffs are stressful for you, how stressful do you think they are for Ted Leonsis. (The Washington Times)

Perhaps the NHL's spotlight is big enough for two leading men. (USA Today)

The story of how three no names, well not to those in Washington, are shutting down the NHL's regular season leading point-getter. (The Globe and Mail)

The View from Pittsburgh
While a 0-2 deficit in the series appears unfavorable to say the least, the Penguins don't seem to be worried just yet. Although they are hoping to gain an advantage by playing on friendly Mellon Arena ice.

In his preview for Game 3, ESPN's Scott Burnside talks about how players not named Sidney need to score if Pittsburgh hopes to get itself back in this series.

The Penguins need to find a way to solve -- or at least get in the head of -- Simeon Varlamov.

The Hockey News' Ryan Dixon asks for the sake of hockey fans that the Penguins win Game 3 to draw the series out as long as possible.

In the System
The Bears look to take a 3-0 lead over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tonight just like the Caps hope to do against the Penguins.

Hershey's success thus far and the makeup of this group of Bears might have a few people dusting off memories of a certain run in the spring of 2006.

By Katie Carrera  |  May 6, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brian Engblom on WPL, Fan Photos
Next: Penguins Fans Win, Then Lose

Comments

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | May 6, 2009 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Let's Go CAPS!

We play well on the road, and that gives me a lot of confidence about tonight. If we get this series to 3-0, it's over.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:18 AM | Report abuse

"Get in the head of Varlamov"? Well I think Kunitz has already taken care of that (with the tacit approval of the League).

Screw the NHL and their double standards.

Tarik, you have mentioned before that Caps fans are "negative". This kind of stuff is just why.

Sapper

Posted by: CPTSapper | May 6, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Sid is "Screw Top Wine."

Posted by: SA-Town | May 6, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Now that I have been able to sleep off the frustration of the NHL blowing the non suspension call on CzarLAmov, let's all recognize (shouldn't be tough with this crowd) the unbelievable poise of this amazing young goalie, who has been punched in the face, cross checked in the throat, doesn't understand 90 percent of the words being said around him and through it all has posted 2 shut outs and has ignited his team to get to the position they're in today.

How's that for a run on sentence (sorry it's early. No time for grammer)

Way to go Varly

Way to go Caps

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | May 6, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

"Sid is the best white w[h]ine..." that's hilarious.

Posted by: meagle | May 6, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Awww, poor thing. Go play in traffic, Dixon. You want it for your sake, not for hockey fans' sake.

I hope our boys don't take stupid penalties - but I hope they can protect Varly without taking stupid penalties. if they have to take a penalty to protect him, so be it.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. I sent a very long email to the NHL @ssholes, went to bed and now its a new day and a new game.

It honestly is very impressive that despite Avery and K's best attempt, Varly has stayed calm and focused. Anyone who said he hadn't been tested by the Rags are now silent because he is still just as impressive with the Pens. You can't expect a shutout with Cindy and Co. but rather you just have to keep their goals to a minimum.

LETS GO CAPS!!! I love that you all realize you haven't played your full potential, we all agree and can't wait to see you turn it on!!!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 6, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Also, absolutely the boys need a win tonight. As Tarik put it, a win tonight goes for the jugular and is better for the team, hockey media notwithstanding.

That said, they're going to have to be less sloppy with the puck and control Crosby better if they want to do that. We'll see what happens tonight.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Well, I am genuinely happy to see so many Caps fans behind the team. A few Green bashers, and people calling for Aucoin rather than Nylander, but all in all, supportive. Tonight's game will be the toughest of game for most of our young players careers. Make no mistake about it, this is pretty much a must win for the Pens and they will come out that way. The onslaught for the 1st 10 minutes will be relentless. They need to survive the "storm." They will probably have to kill a couple of penalties in the early going too. They will be able to simplify their game by just getting the puck out of the zone without being flashy since they are on the road. They seem to feel obligated to be flashy for us when they play at home. If they can be within a goal or two by the end of the 1st they have a great shot today. They need to take the Pens heart out.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I think Wilbon may have misheard Ted -- he probably said "fine white WHINE," especially after the hat episode following Ovie's hat trick.

Posted by: bucknelldad | May 6, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: I'd like to see us treat this as a must-win game, too. I don't care that we're up 2-0 - like you said, we need to bleed the life out of them and finish this off no matter how much the hockey media whines. We're going to have to simplify our game. This looks too much to me like the other side of what we did to the Rangers for comfort, and don't give me that about this being a more even matchup. We're not playing like it right now. We're being outshot and they're controlling the play for stretches of time. We've got to get back into our game and our pace, sharpen up, and starwt controlling 5-on-5 and stop leaning on our goaltending.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!!! Can't wait for the game tonight. Let's show 'em how it's done.

Posted by: nafspac | May 6, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Was watching MASN last night and they had a forum of ESPN radio people on talking about the Caps/Pens series. I was aghast at the lack of knowledge among those four sports "journalists". Made Wilbon sound like he actually knows something. One woman from Baltimore kept talking about the pure hatred between Ovie and Sid. Over and over and over. Hatred? Really? I don't think this is considered pure hatred. It's called competition, and it's found in all sports. The other "journalists" were equally as ignorant, spewing about how this matchup is the NHL's last chance at being relevant. Made me sick.

What also makes me sick is that my final is tonight from 7-10.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 6, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Prepare yourselves, fellow Cap fans! Short of Bettman walking around with a flashing neon sign that reads "This series is going 7", nothing will indicate that better than the officiating tonight. We'll need every lucky bounce of the puck to counter the 5 2-man advantages that await the Pengwieners tonight. Not saying we can't do it, but it's going to be a lot 10 on 6 hockey in Mellonoma Arena.

Posted by: cao091402 | May 6, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Like so many have said before...the Capitals should not play the first minutes weathering the storm...they should create their own storm!!! I think they play pretty well in a high tempo game!

Many have said Malkin has been slumping, and that is kind of nerve racking (never knowing when he might show up), but, hey, we have plenty of guys who have not scored goals yet in this series too, who could just as easily show up big tonight! Though I think they have been playing well, perhaps Semin (who, I believe has had a goal in each of the 4 games against the Pens in the regular season), and Backstrom is due for a goal one of these days :)

We know they can do this!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | May 6, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys and girls, just a little observation since I was bored yesterday. I went over to Pensblog to see what they were saying, and while it was everything the name implies (a blog about the pens), I have never seen such gratuitous use of the word job in my life. Seriously, go check out their post game blog and it's all "this guy got jobbed" "it was the job" "something something job".

WTF?

Posted by: superpaqman | May 6, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

One item you missed (more of a league issue)- last night the Phoenix Coyotes filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and Jim Balsillie has officially tabled an offer of $212.5mm contingent of relocating the team to southern Ontario. This will likely go to a bankruptcy judge, and it's entirely possible the Coyotes may have played their last game in Arizona (where Ovechkin scored "the goal" during his rookie season).

The same Balsillie who, in 2005, had an agreement with Mario Lemieux to buy the Penguins and relocate said Penguins to southern Ontario before Lemieux walked away from the deal.

Posted by: jcurrin | May 6, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Bettman is so incompetent -- poor choice to move teams to the southern US. Look at how low attendance has been for Atl, Florida, Tampa, Nashville, and Phoenix, for the most part. Dallas and Carolina have been an exception and Disney owning the Ducks has more to do with their success than Bettman's grand southern strategy. Carolina was moved by the owner seeing that Hartford was too close to Boston and NYR land (and the Isles). Now look at Phoenix. The league gives the owner money who takes it and hides behind bankruptcy. The Blackberry guy is offering 212 million cash to move the team to Ontario. Yes, there is already the Leafs and Sens, but a good owner can make a team work -- that is what has happened in Anaheim, Dallas, and Carolina. Jim Balsillie should have already moved to Preds to Ontario, but no, Bettman got in his way, so a hockey team in Tennesse, yeah a hotbed of hockey there, may be moved to the great hockey mecca of Kansas City -- what a moron! I could rant on shining the spotlight on Sid the Spoiled Brat instead of OV or Datysuk, but that's another days rant, along with the incredibly biased discipline office.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 6, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@superpaqman:

Stay away from Pensblog. The level of intellect on that blog is pretty low. For one, they seem to have the mindset that everyone in DC should contract AIDS and perish. And as you noticed, they like to make up their own anachronisms and take them to extreme to obfuscate what they mean to "outsiders". The magnitude of jealousy they hold for Ovie is astounding. And apparently they have plenty of time all day to play in Photoshop.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 6, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

jcurrin,
i thought it was ol'd boots delbaggio who was going to buy the pens and move them to KC. he's got some sort of exclusive lease on the sprint center out there. then the pens "won" the sidney lottery causing those bandwagon pens fans (last in attendance the year before) to get all giddy and sell the place out. then they got commitment to a new areana by selling their souls to the slot's owners.

i thought balsillie was poking around the preds to move them.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: It is easy to say that we need to act like it's a must win but FEAR will be the extra factor for the Pens. You cannot pretend to be in FEAR of your season going down the toilet. Not sure if you were at both games, but I was, and in the stadium it felt like the Pens had dominated zone time in Game 2. I then watched the entire game again yesterday (without being nervous) and it was much more of a back and forth game than I had felt it was. Shots were 36-33 Pens, and Fleury had spectacular saves just like Varly.

In game 1 we were outshot by 9 but they also had 7 (our 5-3 overlapped so we only had a total of 3 minutes of PP time) more minutes on the PP because they had 5 PP and we had 2.

Also, at the beginning of the game I had thought that Green made a horrible play by the players bench. The camera for the game looks at the players benches so I had a much better view than at the game and the initial burst up ice by Crosby (when he fell) wasn't Green's fault. Green had dumped it in the zone, after the puck was gone Crosby laid into Green, the puck that Green "dumped" went off of the linesman skate and bounced by Green who was still recovering from a finished check that was a late hit in the first place. Everyone in my section yelled "Greeeen" but low and behold it wasn't his fault at all.

Our boys will simplify their game because they have learned to do that on the road. They are not just words when people say that the Rangers being up on us 2-0 is different than us being up 2-0 on the Pens. Us, and the Pens were in a different class than the Rangers this year, period. I just hope that this board doesn't turn negative tomorrow if our boys stumble today.

Unless you've been in a sporting event (at any level) where your opponent, a darn good opponent, is do or die, and in truth you are not, you have no idea how much a team can raise their play. It's not the same as workplace competition. The good thing is, they can only bring it in spurts, not for an entire game so the boys only have to counter those spurts with a grinding effort. It might lead to few icing calls, or big saves by Varly, but THIS Caps team is good enough to overcome the wave.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Caps! A foot on their throat.

Will be interesting to hear whether Aucoin gets a call-up this morning, but I think it's more likely we'll see Nylander. I can live with it, and I think we'll see him step it up. He wants his job back, and he can skate, control, and pass.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 6, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

snake,
no doubt. i got my ip address blocked for suggesting that after game one they should try and photoshop themselves another goal. they seem to take their cue from sidney, whining about ovie diving and the curve of his stick....the curve of his stick? there are also many posters who seem to be serious about wishing career ending injuries to ovie. for a town that prides itself on toughness, they sure cant take it.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little concerned about how the game tonight might be officiated. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I don't believe that the NHL would deliberately attempt to manipulate the officiating to favor the Pens, but I wonder if the refs might share Dixon's opinion that a long series between the Pens and Caps and all their stars would be better for the league. If so, then that might affect their calls on a subconscious level in favor of the flightless birds. In any event, the team has to play with intensity and can't take undisciplined penalties as they did in the first period on Monday.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I for one think that Kunitz is a marked man..If the refs watch the previous games before tonight, they will take note on what happened to Varlamov...One could only hope if they breath on him it will be a call.

They can have their garbage goal and act like both games were 1 goal games and they were so close..(waaaaahhhh)...Thats fine with me...It's 2-0 regardless of the scores.

We didnt cry about being down 2-0. We gave props to Henrik and said we had to do better. The Pens on the other hand think they should stay the course...Yea..please stay the course....

Posted by: SA-Town | May 6, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz and fanohock1,

I agree with both of you guys on this one. 2-0 is a nice lead but still scares me, if we can go up 3-0, I think that would be an insurmountable lead. In a dream world, I'd love a sweep because it would give us time to rest our players who are all nursing injuries and let Boston and Carolina fight it out with one another.

I agree with the comments that many are making in regards to Varly keeping his composure in spite of all he's faced. This kid seriously has ice in his veins. The thing about Varly is we all see his play and are amazed, but one thing that amazes me is his facial expressions and eyes. Look at his face after he makes a spectacular save, or after he's faced a "flurry" of shots. The kid's expression never changes, his eyes are very stoic. Nothing seems to get to this kid and rattle him. You can't teach that, you either have it or you don't. IMHO he has been the best goal tender in the playoffs.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | May 6, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Basille is an idiot. He would've had his NHL team by now if only he had promised to try to keep a team were it is (aka the Sonics scenario). There's no way MLSE will let another team relocate to Hamilton.

Posted by: koalatek | May 6, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

The first goal is a key tonight. If we get it we can take some of the wind out of the crowd (and being pit fans I'm sure they have plenty of wind) and get the pens playing catch up which will open more opportunities for the Caps.

Posted by: ds_kelly | May 6, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

If I was a Pens fans I would be terrified of Mark-Andrea Flower in net. He is has been average...Anyone sitting on the side the Caps scored twice saw quite a few bobbled pucks on his end..He has looked average compared to what we faced with Henrik...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 6, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@DCSportsFan28: I have to admit that I'd like to see a 4-0 sweep myself. Given what we did to the Rags, I count nobody dead until the handshake line starts, and I SURE don't trust the Pens.

Also, ddid anyone hear about the thing going around Pensworld about an illegal curve on Ovi's stick and how they ought to challenge his stick? Rules mavens, what happens to the Pens if they call out his stick and it comes up legal?

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz, I think a failed stick challenge is two minutes for delay of game.

Posted by: koalatek | May 6, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

pens get assessed a delay of game penalty if they challenge Ovie's stick and it comes up legal

Posted by: _stevo | May 6, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon should stick to sports other than hockey. That's all I got.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 6, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: I was at both games, actually, and I see what you mean about it being more even - but it's still a trap that we could fall into very easily, and that would so not be cool.

Simplifying our game is usually good for us. We can play at Pittsburgh's speed. What I'd like to see is us establish OUR speed and see if Pittsburgh can play at that speed. if we can do that and limit Crosby, we ought to be okay.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I just hope that the CAPS do not take stupid penalties and just play smart hockey. If they do that, I think they have a great chance. Mellon Arena will not be any worse than MSG.

It is not worth going on any of the Pens message boards. They all have an irrational hatred of Ovie and nothing interesting to say. I do not like Crosby but do think he is a great hockey player and good for the game. Never would I wish him dead or injured.

Posted by: Richmondcapsfan | May 6, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I think Ovi's stick is fine so I hope they challenge. Ovi was ragged on at the All-Star game and he changed sticks, which lead to a few mis-fires after the All-Star break. He seems to be happy with his new curve now.

Speaking of sticks, I am disgusted with how many sticks break at critical times. If I was Ted I would demand that at the very least the boys have PK sticks, made of wood. They would have the same curve, just less flex, thus less vulnerable to breaking. I'm in my 40's and cannot believe how many sticks break in a game now compared to even 5 years ago. These one-piece composite hockey sticks are much lighter, and add starch to a shot, but when your goal on the PK is to get control and shoot it down the ice without your stick snapping, wood would suffice.

Heck, I would use would when trying to salt, or make a goalie-pulled come back at the end for the same reason. You don't need your twig breaking at very critical times. We'd probably see some of the younger players that haven't used wood sticks for the last 10 years start using them all the time, especially defensemen.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@stevo, koalatek: Thanks, guys. In that case, Ovi should check his sticks, then sit back and wait. Seriously, though, there was a flap about it yesterday. Bet that Ovi's checked his sticks by now and dealt with any issues. Bylsma has to know that challenging Ovi's (or anyone's) stick is a near-sure trap, and I don't think Bylsma is stupid enough to try it.

That said, we need to stay out of the box as much as we can, although if we have to take a penalty to defend Varly, so be it.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I look at early series leads the same as I look at goal leads in a game. A one goal lead is nothing. A two goal lead is tenuous and can be negated in the blink of an eye. Three goals and I start breathing a little easier.

The Caps sound like they have their heads in the right place - I just hope their play tonight shows it. The Pens are going to come out with everything they've got.

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 6, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

M.O. for tonight:
1) NO RETALIATION on Kunazi or any Penz!!
2) Score often & early
3) Step on the throat of the snakes to suffocate them
4) 3-0 looks better than 2-1

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 6, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Snake, too true they are special although there are one's and two's that make valid points (although they all preface their posts by saying they're from somewhere else). But like I've said with so many other things in my life it's like a car accident, I don't want to look which makes me look even more.

Also to anyone and everyone on here that needs a laugh, check out this site:

ibleedblackngold.blogspot.com/2009/05/max-talbot-soundboard-v1.html

I know it's from the enemy but they're not doing themselves any favors by having it.

Posted by: superpaqman | May 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

If the Caps lose tonight, it will not be a disaster. After all the Pens are likely to win at some point. But if we win, WOW! It will definitely go to the jugular and boost the team's confidence.

We are definitely growing more comfortable with the playoff pace and style and more confident. Win or lose, I hope tonight continues to boost our confidence and momentum and does not set us back. I am so nervous. I mean, is it possible that we will keep winning?

I got this from the Pen's blog. How great if we keep undermining their confidence:

"Sorry fellow Pens fans but Crosby and Malkin combined don’t come close to making the impact on a game that Ovechkin does."

Posted by: caraveli | May 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure the Pens think they are in trouble, they seem to be in Oz land somewhere. Which could be a bonus for us. When we were down 2-0 the Caps seemed to know they were in trouble and had to play better.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Does everyone realize we have won 6 of the last 7 playoff games?

2 of 3 at MSG in a rabid building. (For the first 2 periods)

Things are clicking..our boys have confidence..you dont have to remind the team how big this game is...and you dont have to remind them that our fan base doesnt like Pittsburgh...You dont have to remind them that Varly got cross-checked in the neck, and you dont have to remind them that Crosby wanted our hat throwing to stop in OUR BARN...You dont have to remind them that the Pens feel like nothing needs to change and that things are as good as can be in Pittsburgh...and you dont have to remind them that everyone is PA thinks Ovie is vastly inferior to Malkin and Crosby...

The bill-board material is strong in the Caps locker room...

Time to go for the killl.....

Pittsburgh official admits they are in big trouble at 10 p.m tonight...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 6, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

We could be very infuriated tonight by EVERYTHING that could be against us:

1) Officiating
2) Crowd
3) Gamesmanship by Penz
4) Nazi Hockey League 7 game conspiracy

All goes out the window - it's a MUST win for us & them.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 6, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

bah, the best line out of that wilbon article came out of ted's mouth.

Posted by: brownryan | May 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

This game depends if we can handle the first ten mins of the game. The pens will bring it hard the first ten, if we get by that we got it...GO CAPS

Posted by: kgassert | May 6, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if this was already posted in this forum, but Buccigross's blog on Game 2 had something interesting to say on AO.

>>Alex Ovechkin pulls a Mike Ribiero/Alexei Kovalev playoff acting move like he received a high stick from Kunitz. Kunitz's stick was below his waist when he collided with Ovechkin. Capitals fans can no longer accuse Crosby of embellishing after this move from Ovechkin. He duped the referee badly and the Capitals go on the power play. After I hit "Play" on the TiVo to write that previous paragraph, Brickley and Mike Emrick agree. When Emrick makes a comment like that, and he doesn't very often, it has the tone of a disapproving parent. I slumped my shoulders and I'm just sitting here watching hockey and eating Oreos. That's a very unhockey thing Ovechkin just did.

Posted by: justbrewit | May 6, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

bah - the best line is Wilbon's description of MJ now known as OV:

But the greatest players -- players who fill arenas, win duels with other great players, inspire teammates and coaches with the force of their personalities and back down opponents who are merely good -- they come along once in a great while.

The greatest one's rip the hearts out of their opponents. The harder they come @ him, the bigger a licking they will get.
The thrill is in the challenge of the enemy for the greatest ones. The reward is the team accomplishment.

Cindy has been acting like they are in control.
Theyare the one's making the mistake that allows us to lose.
We have just been beneficiaries.
Cindy insinuates we & OV have been lucky.

But one thing is clear: it doesn't have anything to do with fortune. The common DNA of all the greatest ones are that every man is the architect of his own fortune. & usually he takes it from his victim's chest.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 6, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I haven't read the previous posts so I don't know if this has been mentioned. But I think it is very possible if Fehr can't go tonight, rather than dressing Nylander, we dress 7 D. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I think we should dress Nylander, the way he plays he will be fine playing against the Pens slow skating D. But have a feeling BB might go the D route.

Posted by: ThePat | May 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

He said - she (buchingloss) said.

What's his point?

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 6, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz, you only get one stick measurement per game, so you would normally never see a call before the last five minutes of a game. Oddly enough, if you request a measurement after a goal is scored, the goal counts regardless of the legality of the stick. And every NHLer should know to change to the "no doubt" sticks in the 3rd period.

Posted by: koalatek | May 6, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

i read that bucci article and cant recall the exact play he's talking about. i remember a high stick that ovie got at center ice that was definitely an embellishment but was also definitely a high stick. was there another incident?

and we can definitely accuse crosby of embellishment and whining, because thats what he does.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

This is sort of off topic, but the game tonight is on Versus right? And the schedules I've seen say that the Bruins game will be too (around the same time). So if I live in Boston am I going to get the Bruins game or Caps?

Posted by: demodaze | May 6, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

justbrewit: Watch it again. Kunitz clearly puts a two handed cross check directly to Ovi's face. Not the first Pen player, the second. The first one brought his stick back down, the second (Kunitz) cross-checked him. I watched it frame by frame last night.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@superpaqman: The use of "job" in their vernacular sadly has to do with their lack of one. =P

Any chance we can get a few jabs at Orpik and Kunitz just before they get on the ice? Just wondering. *shrug*

Go Capitals!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 6, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

It is my hope that Fehr is able to play tonight, however, given the magnitude of the hit he took it's probably not likely. Stats available as of April '09 confirm that the Caps are 39-16-6 with him in the line up and 11-8-2 when he's not.

As for Fehr's replacement being Nylander, who has been largely ineffective this season, I don't go for that and hope that GMGM and Gabby will come up with another option given what's at stake.

Regarding Game #3, we can win it. We can win Game #4 too, but we may or may not win either or both of these games. We can still take the Series...and the Baby Penguins know that.

A four game sweep would be ideal; however, I would love to see Cindy Crysby on our ice Saturday night having to shake hands with our beloved Capitals. Naturally, I assume we will greet him to the handshake line in a hail of hats...it would only be fitting.

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Caps16Fan | May 6, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

If the Capitals finish the series at Verizon, I say the Capitals have their right hand out for the handshake with Crosby and their other hand protecting their manhood. =X

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 6, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse