Morning Reading List: Game 3 Aftermath

(John McDonnell -- The Washington Post)

Anchored by two goals and an assist from Alexander Semin, three assists from Nicklas Backstrom and a stellar performance by Simeon Varlamov, who became the fourth goaltender in NHL history to record a playoff shutout before age 21, Washington played arguably its best game in a month to win their first game of the series. (Photo gallery)

Mike Wise explains how a series was born yesterday, and channels the Capitals version of "24": "...Between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. on Monday, the Capitals found the serrated edge of a Flatbush fry cook, the same defiant competitive streak that makes these throaty people roar for the hungry hockey team that went up 2-0 in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals over the weekend in Washington."

Here are the highlights from yesterday's win.

Over at the neighboring D.C. Sports Bog you'll find:

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun calls Ovechkin's pursuit of Lauri Korpikoski the "play of the game" in his recap of game 3. Also read his notebook here.

You can also check out NHL.com's recap here and the Washington Times recap here.

The Hockey News' Ryan Kennedy has a tale of two goaltenders.

According to TSN's Darren Dreger the opponent for the Bruins in next year's Winter Classic is down to the Capitals or Flyers.

Through the Rangers' Looking Glass
Recaps from The New York Times, The Daily News and Newsday.

Home ice is proving to be anything but an advantage in this series.

The Hockey News gets to know Nik Antropov.

In the System
Check out the Bears' lines and pairings from yesterday's practice. Dean Arsene was sidelined with an injury.

From the Lebanon Daily News, a story on Steve Pinizzotto.

By Katie Carrera  |  April 21, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Are Back in It
Next: Q&A With Varlamov

Comments

4/4 goals scored w/ a man in front of the net. woot!

Posted by: am_jim | April 21, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

What a thriller,really, with the intense play. Ovie is remarkable,with his efforts on D,his set ups,the whole way he approached this game.The Varly Era is surely upon us. Tremendous game for him. One at a time. Friday night at VC could be a memorable night. The fans need to bring the A game as well.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 21, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

If Varly is the annointed one for next year then I see two immediate issues:

1: Theo. Despite the potential veteran presence on the bench I don't think he's a viable backup candidate. We saw this year what his game is like when he's rotating starts frequently. He's better when he's working everyday. IMO, if he's not the starter, he needs to be moved. Either resign Johnny as the backup or promote the Cheese.

2: The Mask. Have to lose the split personality mask. Locker commented on it last night even. A shutout in the playoffs earns him the right to get rid of the Bears half.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | April 21, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Mike Wise:

"Somewhere between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. on Monday, the Capitals found the serrated edge of a hard-featured, Carnegie Deli waitress of maybe 50. "

Mike, I have no idea what the heck you were talking about in your column, but I love it!

Go Caps!

And thanks to my assistant soccer coach who bet me two beers on last night's game. They will be sweet.

Caps in 6.

Posted by: crooks_c | April 21, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Carnegie deli is the best sandwich place in the world. I went there to try it once and ordered a sandwich only for a plate of unending delicious meat to appear.

Seriously recommend it if you are ever in NYC

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 21, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Mmmm- Pastrami & an egg cream served by a surly waitress! Could I get a Cup of Stanley with that?

Posted by: uncatim | April 21, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Finally! Our "away game" 6th man on the ice. Surprise, surprise. None other than Sean Avery!

Thanks Sean for "just being you".

Posted by: dogdaze | April 21, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Great job by the Caps, especially John Erskine, of not taking the bait from Sean Avery. They Caps didn't get involved and as a result Avery self destructed.

Posted by: griz0615 | April 21, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought that there was some statement thing that the league was making for players taking shots at the end of the game?

Posted by: CapsFan44 | April 21, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Does a game misconduct for Avery automatically suspend him for a game? I think Semin got one for his bongo display and wasn't suspended, but Avery's actions were after the whistle, to a guy not involved, and while being held by the ref. I hope the league office boots that punk for a game or two.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 21, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Boy did I sleep good last night. I have to admit though, I don't think the Caps did things much differently. They outshot the Rangers again (although the Rangers had more shots last night than either of the first two games) and played solid defense. The difference was that Lundqvist wasn't quite as lucky. The Caps scored early when Semin seemed to put the puck low when he intended to go high. So be it, the boys needed a bounce, they got it and ran with it.

@_SteveO if you check in today. You have been an Erskine supporter all along. He's played solid since returning and seems to get better every game. Seems to have found a partner he likes working with in Pothier.

Backstrom is a freakin' stud. We didn't need last night's game to tell us that though. He is an unbelievable player that the Caps need to retain in their core of players for a long long time.

Varlamov is the real deal. He's only lost once and 3 of the 4 goals bounced off Caps that game. He's not going to get a shutout every night but right now he definitely gives the Caps a chance to win.

OV played another solid game. Skated his butt off and made a beautiful pass to Semin for his second assist. Did you guys see the game face he had in the clips of the players leaving the locker room to come out for the game? One word described it...CONFIDENCE.

Alexander "crazy legs" Semin has the best hands in the league, at least that's what OV said ealier this season. Some nights, like last night, he just appeared to in a different league. Before his first goal he faked on Lundqvist so bad that he was in a heap in front of the crease but Semin couldn't bag it.

Players that looked out of it:

Green looked rough in the O-zone but solid in the D-zone, I'll take it!

Federov did have some giveaways and looked slow, hopefully he can become more of a positive factor.

Kozlov has all of a sudden lost his soft hands. He has mishandled pucks badly the last 2 games.

Fleishman is definitely the weak link on the PP. He got the game 1 deflection but he backs away when he should be screening. Pothier's pass that put him on a break-away was brilliant but he was unable to lift the puck over a sprawling Lundqvist.

Fehr was almost invisible today.

A group of unsung heroes just doing dirty work were Laich getting another gritty goal, and Gordon, Steckel, and Bradly playing solid shifts throughout the game.

The boys need to take game 4 tomorrow.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS: I don't think so. Avery got a 10-minute, not a game, but it was with less than 10 minutes left in the game, so he just headed for the dressing room. Semin's game misconduct was solely over the fight strap rule and that ended the issue.

I still think it's funny that he got thrown out of the game for doing something that didn't do any good anyway. Does Torts realize Varlamov doesn't speak much English?

Well. I see we have a goalie issue next year, though it's not the one we thought we'd have after game 1. Good on Varlamov for his performance the last two games.

Overall, fantastic stuff. I have no complaints. Let's hope we can keep it up in Game 4.

Also, this will be my last post for the first round and possibly longer. If me staying away from the boards is what it takes to get that kind of a performance out of the boys, see you after the end of the run :)

Okay, seriously, I'm getting ready to sit IT certification exams and will have my nose buried in a network lab for the next week and change when I'm not at the Phone Booth or a local bar screaming my head off. Cheers and let's go Caps! Keep up the work from Game 3!

Posted by: kittypawz | April 21, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS-

Avery did not get a game misconduct he only got a 10 minute misconduct. He did nothing to get a suspension (there is pushing and shoving in every game by every team) and Semin's game misconduct during the season was for the tie down strap not being connected thats why he got no suspension.

Posted by: cocorules | April 21, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Avery,we do thank you. The only thing that would make me happier is to see you get destroyed by a guy like Brash. Jerk.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 21, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

When Erskine took that Avery sucker punch in the first and just stared him down with a smile only Erskine can dish, I knew it was going to be that kind of night for Avery and the Rags. That type of poise in that kind of environment is ten times more likely to get in their heads than Ovie scouting from the bench. Keep it up!

Posted by: Rainier1 | April 21, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I think Avery will get a one game suspension because anyone deemed to be making a "statement" in a game that is for all intents and purposes decided on the scoreboard, will receive a suspension. His, shove as they called it, I will call it a semi-punch to Varly's face shows he has absolutely no respect for the authority of the officials. He wasn't sent off for his initial altercation, he was kicked out for his late contact with Varly. Varly did poke him in the butt with his stick blade but that is done ALL the time and Avery tried to stir things up. Again, IMO meets the criteria of a suspension.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to the Rangers faithful for having those glowing thunder-sticks, and throwing them on the ice.

Please dont show your face in game 5. This series is about to change the way it was supposed to be.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

did someone turn on the lights cause all the cockroaches who were here yesterday seemed to have scattered. you know, the ones who were gnawing on the "GMGM didnt address the goalie situation" and "the teams doesnt have what it takes to go to the net" and "putting brash in would be a mistake". there were even a couple still chewing on some "why did they sign erskine to that contract" jerky.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 21, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

One important aspect of this game that no one has mentioned yet (at least that I've read) is the terrific officiating last night. There were no bad calls, and no obvious missed calls -- best officiated game in recent memory.

The refs were a factor, but for all the right reasons -- it allowed the Caps to really play their game and prevented the goonish Rangers from theirs. Can we keep this team the rest of the playoffs?

Hey, where's stanleycup1907? Forget his meds this morning? Mental hospital staff forget to wake him up?

Posted by: bucknelldad | April 21, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan

I was calling for Brash at the start of the series, but I dont think Brash was much of a factor.

In my opinion the team success was due to slowing things down..not trying to do to much yourself...and Ovie was the catalyst, as he was trigger happy early on in the first 2 games.

This team should feel really confident, but that being said, I truly believe the winner of game 4 gets the series...so it is all on the line.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 I agree keeping Backis is essential. I remember going to games early last year with my backstrom jersey and people wondering why I had bought a rookie shirt. That guy has been talent for Brynas, Talent for Team Sweden, and is becoming amazing for Caps. I love how he is gradually becoming ever more physical in his play.

He will be the best Swede in history if he keeps this up.

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 21, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

bucknell, i agree although i think avery's goalie interference call was weak, but i think the refs were looking out for him. i thought koz hold at the end was touchy too. overall though, a well officiated game.

SA- i think brash mixed it up w/ lundquist early (he and orr got roughing calls). i dont know if that bothered lundquist, but perhaps it showed the other forwards what they need to do.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 21, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I think everyone is sleeping on the FANTASTIC game that Backstrom had last night. He singlehandedly created the plays that resulted in his 3 assists, making a beautiful cross ice pass to Semin on the first, and the no look pass out of the corner for Poti's.

Even bigger than that, he managed to get his stick in the way and (luckily) keep the puck out of his own net ... and on the same shift, beat one defenseman, demolished another with a check, and found Ovechkin who ultimately found Semin for the 2nd goal. Backstrom is hitting his stride at the right time.

Finally, I think splitting up Ovie and Backstrom is a fantastic idea. If the Rangers are going to play the "match-up" game, they're going to have to decide which line they want to stop. Keeping Ovechkin on for one or two extra rushes (with Backstrom and Semin) allows him to create chances with either a "mismatched" Rangers D pairing, or Redden/Rosival at the end of their shift. Brilliant.

Posted by: FOHS_Marc | April 21, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

How about some props to Erskine for not retaliating when getting popped by Avery?

Posted by: Kevin9149 | April 21, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Oh Heck Yeah!!! That is what I have been waiting for all series. Not that we played poorly the first two games, but that the Rags suck and they showed why last night!!! I hope Every get a suspension for the shot to Varly's head at the end of the game. From what I have read and seen on NHL Net, that constitutes a cheap shot at the end of the game. Wasn't as hard as the other two examples, but the same none the less.

That being said,

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | April 21, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Props to Erskine for a great series. As much as I wanted to see Erskine whip Avery, it was even more satisfying seeing Avery meltdown. He showed great control and was rewarded when Avery got the calls and put us on the advantage. Well done Big John.

Posted by: _Mark | April 21, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom, Semin, Erskine, Ovechkin, Semyon -- fantastic game last night.

Greenie's been getting targeted, but he was weaker than needed; Kozlov, Fehr, Feds, where are you? Flash played OK but missed when it counted.

I'm fine with Avery in there; no need for a suspension -- Thanks Sean!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

John Erskine really has become The Man, hasn't he?

And I thought Steckel had a pretty darned good game last night too, didn't he? He was workin and gettin it done

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

They finally played the game they should be playing! BACKSTROM AND VARLEY!!!!!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Based on Joe B.'s comment about the memo stating you can't "send a message" and Avery's looooong history, I don't see how the league could not suspend him for 1 game after his antics and push to Varlamov's face. How can the league accept punching a goalie in the face when he's just standing there?

Erskine... wow, very smart play all around. Keep it up!

Posted by: dsphvywght | April 21, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Ovie made a great adjustment for last night - THAT was the difference (of course, Varly's play wasn't too shabby either - LOL). Hate to see Varly's mask redesigned to eliminate the Bears half - but I have to agree - I think he's in the NHL to stay. They need to again score the 1st and even the 2nd goal of the game Wednesday night to take the Ranger crowd out of it. And somewhere along the line - SOMEONE needs to take out that SOB Avery.

Posted by: hersheybearfan | April 21, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, Varmalov has the physical talent. Does he have the stamina to play game after game and does he have the mentality to bounce back after a bad game? We will find out soon enough (hopefully, it will be a while before we find out the second part).

What is incredibly impressive is his reaction (or lack thereof)after Avery shoved his glove in Varly's mask. For a 20 year old to have the maturity to ignore that speaks volumes about this guy's maturity.

Posted by: pdanziger | April 21, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Seriously recommend it if you are ever in NYC

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 21, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Katz's > Carnegie Deli anyday.

Tip your chef well and he will reward you in kind.

Posted by: Devo2 | April 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm up in Boston this week and so I was forced to watch the Bruins last night instead of the Caps. Kessel had an amazing game and I started thinking about the discussion about who got the better pick - Boston with Kessel or Washington with Backstrom. After reading about last night's game I'm happy to see that it still looks like the Caps got the right guy.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I dont think anyone needs to take out Avery. The game plan was obviously play smart...let him get fired up...take the penalty. Erskine did a great job...If Avery really had decked Varlamov, he would of been suspended...Let Avery roll the dice all night long...we will win that battle because the refs wont stand for it...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Time To Ask:

Why didn't fans receive anything at the Caps first two games last week? No glow sticks, no towels, nothing. I was wondering that from my seat on Saturday. Any ideas? seemed odd...

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock

i was so proud of the lumberjack for not reigning blows down on avery because i know he wanted to. I think he along with the rest of our defense played one of their best games last night. I agree with Tarik that backstrom is a dirty dog, amazing game.

Oh and the donald's playoff beard is awesome already

Posted by: _stevo | April 21, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

We got towels and signs game 1; signs in game 2

not much though. Where are the big sponsors?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The "team defence" was the best I have seen all season. I hope Avery does not get a game suspension, he is good for two or three power plays a game.

We should have all our russians talking smack to Avery in their native tongue, might get into his head some....hahaha

The thing I notice about Varly is he gets into position very well and even if he does not see the puck, it has a chance to hit him, with Theo when he doesnt see it, it seems to find a hole and hits the net.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I think a cool idea would be for a red T-shirt giveaway. Gotta have sizes from small to XXXL, but the T-shirts for Friday could simply say Round 1 Game 5. They shouldn't cost too much for a sponsor to make. That way our stadium would be solid RED like Wachovia is solid ORANGE. Would be a cool sovenir that wouldn't be competing with what the Caps are trying to sell.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Da jah vu......sorry

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

We can't revel in this for long; tomorrow's another must win. The gap between 2-2 and 1-3 is pretty huge.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I hope Varly comes back strong Wednesday night. I think that been one of the concerns as I recall from earlier in the season: he expends a ton of energy every game. I think he'll be fine - probably not perfect last night - but if he holds the NYRs to one or two goals, we win.

Posted by: saintex | April 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

By the way the new Rock the Red towels are cool because the "W" is in color this year. We shouldn't have white Rock the Red posters to hold up though because everything looks kind of, well, white, rather than red.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

How about some props for Steckel. He has been everything BB could ask for this series and more. OK Brashear bashers time to admit he is a needed presence on the ice. The Caps need his physicality. I also think his intensity is contagious.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 21, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Stecks was on it last night.

Anyone have his faceoff stats?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to believe that we are in a better position now then we were at the same stage last year.

Just please god don't let me say we are in the same position as last year come Thursday morning...I cant imagine the need to take 3 straight vs. "King StunnedQvist"

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@Devo2

I'm going to be in NYC next week-end. Where is 'Carnegie Deli' located?

Posted by: hersheybearfan | April 21, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Top notch hockey! I look forward to many years with Varly as our #1, he is so sharp! I have been on cloud nine since the end of game 3 and I am hoping this is the turning point! 3 more games...Let's Go Caps!

I am out of town for a wedding this weekend (yuck I am so mad and hate weddings that much more now!), so...

2 TICKETS SECTION 121/ ROW L FOR GAME 5!
BEHIND THE PLAYER'S BENCH AND ONE ROW UP FROM THE TOP OF THE CAP'S TUNNEL!

SHOOT ME AN E-MAIL FOR INFO:
NatyBG@aol.com

Posted by: NatyBG | April 21, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I thought Niklas Backstrom had an outstanding game. Not only was he passing the puck brilliantly, he was backchecking and hitting too. I think the butterflies are shaken off and these guys know what they need to do now. Let's keep it up for game 4!

Posted by: Digitalman08 | April 21, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but I was listening to WFAN and they mentioned that Ovie did something on the Ranger logo after the game. I didn't see it and it could be just the Ranger fans trying to fire themselves up after that a@@ whuppin'. Just curious if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Nicklas Backstrom will be better than Forsberg before all is said and done.
Dear Mr. Erskine: My postgame snack of crow in RED sauce was oddly satisfying.
Can someone explain to me why GMGM didn't make a big move for one of the many excellent goalies available at the trade deadline? Thank you.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 21, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Whoever said the Caps played poorly in the first two games is wrong. They played good, very good regular season hockey and the Rangers played their best playoff hockey possible. The results are 4-3 and 1-0, nothing dominant. The Caps dominated last night when they got the first goal and a break. It looks like the Rags are beat up blocking all those shots and worn down trying to keep up with all the Caps speed, strength, and power. If the Caps keep playing their game, they will make their own breaks. OV will either continue to get too much attention allowing Semin, Green, Kozlov, Federov, Laich, Flash, and Fehr oppurtunities OR the Rags will take some attention off OV allowing him the space to score. OV will not be goalless much longer. The Rags will not lie down for the Caps, but the Caps can take game four if they play like they did in game 3. Oh, Avery is a total punk who must be pissing off his teammates.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 21, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

brash plays 2 minutes and he makes a difference? lol

Posted by: wendel2 | April 21, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Moose33:
Scroll back up to the Reading List and check out Steinberg's 'Center Ice Celebration'. That's what fired up the Rags fans. Not a big deal.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 21, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Join the Erskine Fan Club!!!

He is a freaking beast!!!

Posted by: AreYouKiddingMe1 | April 21, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting to hear from some of the trolls, but we know that won't happen until we lose another game. Saying hi nonetheless guys! Don't say you weren't told the outcome ahead of time...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 21, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I have a question, since the road team seems to keep winning in this series, can the caps wear the "road"whites at home or is there a league rule on that? I realize rock the red etc, but we all know how superstitious hockey players are.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 21, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@ redlineblue
Love it!

Rags better be worried....three games down and Ovie hasent netted one yet.....hummmm
Odds are he is going to explode for a two or three goal game soon!

Flash could have had 4 goals......we need him to start finishing his chances.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get a towel, nor did I see any being waved.
celebrity deli as good but over hyped as there are a few places just as good with shorter waits. good as they are, 20 bucks for a sandwich, a big one, is still too much.

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"The moment the Rangers start thinking they are every bit as swift and powerful as the Washington Capitals, they are in deep trouble. The Rangers got pounded Monday night in Game 3, 4-0, because they seemed to forget their limited talents ...."

HA!!! Read the rest here:

Posted by: Boo- | April 21, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

wait, ain't it carnegei deli? spell check don't know either..

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

SEAN-B-GONE Avery Pest T-Shirts:

Posted by: rockthered21 | April 21, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

oo7: The towels were handed out at Game 1 along with the white Rock the Red posters. Game 2 only the posters were handed out.

The excitement of last night's win is wearing off and the nerves for Game 4 are starting to kick in. The Caps will again have to weather the storm of the Rangers trying to get an early lead and drop into a defensive shell. If the Caps come out of the 1st with the lead again they will be in good shape.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

oo7,
So, you tell me - did the Caps screen Henrik last night? I don't think they did... they did what they do best and did it better this game. Making Henrik move side to side with their passing and attacking the net. They didn't score from shots from the blueline, all of them were no more than 10 feet out. I guess that is what I was saying before. Don't try and change, just do what you do but do it better.

Posted by: _828 | April 21, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

My brains still foggy from last nights celebration. Celebrity deli used to be a great place, in rockville, the original one that is. The new one is a waste. But this place has good word of mouth:

Brooklyn's Deli
10048 Darnestown Rd
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 279-9393

I haven't been yet, but after last night, I think I'll treat myself to a bite of Ny.

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

by the numbers:

Higher seed down 0-2: 25% to win series
Higher seed down 1-2: 39% to win series

Objective measures are looking up.

Subjective measures: Caps opened a can last night.

Posted by: saintex | April 21, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Carnegie or Carnegei deli - where is it?

Posted by: hersheybearfan | April 21, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to add - Semin wasn't built for playoff hockey.

Posted by: _828 | April 21, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

828, I saw Laich in front of him, I saw Backstrom get in the crease as well, and I saw a lot of going to the net. Did they [ull a Holmstrom? No, it wasnt that orchestrated. But, in all honesty, they haven't set up in fornt of the net since Clark had his ear lacerated by Ovechkins shot.

That said, I totally understand your point and think we can both agree that they went to the net with purpose a lot more often and it resulted in goals.

I also noticed that Fehr was a bit of a no show. I didn't notice him much, especially after his perimeter shot with no one any where near for a rebound...

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

From last thread:

From previous thread:

@CTCapsPhan (or anyone else who was at MSG):

1 - What did the Rags fans throw on the ice? Was it before or after the final horn blew?

2 - I read on another board that after the Rags left the ice, Ovie and Backstron went to center ice and "saluted" the crowd, much like the Rags do when they win. Did you see that? Did it happen? The Rags did that last year when they won in the playoffs at the Prudential Center in NJ.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 21, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the delay. One of the giveaways was a light up thunder stick. If you broke open the stick there was a blue light up cube. Fans were tearing them open and throwing the light cubes on the ice.

They did it right after the Poti goal and there was a 2-3 minute delay to clean the ice. Real classy and real good sports.

As for the Rangers fan, I am convinced that Avery is a punk. After seeing the punch on Varly, he should be suspended. Will he? Probably not, but he is a punk. It is one thing to be a force in front of the goalie, but when you punch him, please.

Erskine goading him into that one 2nd period penalty was BEAUTIFUL!

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 21, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Semin wasn't built for playoff hockey? Who besides SC07 said that? Well, i think i remember a few of those comments, but sure as hell not from me! : )

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Yes Brash is a needed presence on the ice and locker room. He is part of the team's chemistry. I hope he is here to stay.

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 21, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

For all who asked

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 21, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

haha oo7, that Semin comment was not directed at you... just the idiots that have no faith. I guess someone has to blame someone.

"we can both agree that they went to the net with purpose a lot more often and it resulted in goals." YES, they attacked... it's what they do best. Keep coming and coming and coming... that will keep Henrik busy.

Posted by: _828 | April 21, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Also, I love Varly, Semin, Ovie, Backs, Erskine, Bradley, Stecks, and Green! Congratulations on a well earned win! But don't get over confident.

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 21, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

In Avery's defense (not much from here)... Varly tapped Avery on the butt... haha, kinda egging him on. It was awesome - I laughed so hard. If Avery does not get a suspension, it will be because of that.

Posted by: _828 | April 21, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen too much mentioned but Brian Pothier has been rock solid since he was inserted into the lineup. If Pothier is our trade deadline d-man right now he's performing better than Derek Morris. Perhaps his game is better suited for the playoffs. I even liked when he stepped up on Dubinsky after he jumped into his check on Flash at the end of the game (I think it was Flash). It wasn't much but it was enough. Keep up the good work Pots you deserve it!

Posted by: meagle | April 21, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

did anyone see avery spear erskine in the face around the 3:20 mark? this might get him the suspension.

Posted by: gandorfdapirate | April 21, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

828:
I missed that. Although I did see Varly push someone who was camped in the crease earlier. I could not tell who it was, but it might have been Avery (I could not see his # clearly). When Varly did that I thought good for him. I was bummed that the D let the guy stand there, but then thought that it looks like Varly can take care of himself. Plus he's a big kid - I've seen Avery run him and just bounce off more than once ... Varly does not flinch; Avery might as well have been a gnat. Love it.

Posted by: Boo- | April 21, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

avery didn't do enough to get suspended, I think. did you see the end of the flames game? that's the message sending they're talking about I think.

varly was aggressive with rangers on his crease and I loved it !!

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Funny! I have been on Ny Daily News site and there are at least 3 or 4 folks from this blog forum on there tearing the NYR fans new ones.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, about 10 seconds before Avery punched Varly, Varly tapped Avery on the butt. Either like, nice try... or, the refs (parents) aren't looking, let me mess with yard ape a bit. It was classic! And yes, I do believe Varly can take care of himself. The best thing (if we can get out of this series) is that we have Theo as well. Two goalies may be key for the playoffs long haul. Either way, Varly is getting more and more experience... that is huge for the future of this organization.

Posted by: _828 | April 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

good game, but Caps NEED to win game 4. need to knot this thing up and bring it back to the Phone Booth.

Caps (thankfully) proved me wrong last night.

Posted by: doughless | April 21, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

re Varly and Avery:
Did you watch Varly's postgame interview on the Caps' site? He's very serious through the whole thing until someone asks a question about Avery and then he laughs. You can tell Varly knew exactly what to expect from Avery and he wasn't taking any of his sh*t.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

brash plays 2 minutes and he makes a difference? lol

Posted by: wendel2 | April 21, 2009 10:07 AM

Like your 1 post & you know hockey? Buwahahaha

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

828:
Yard ape ... HA! It really is fun to see the tables turned, isn't it? Everyone was so worried about Avery getting into the Caps' heads and yet the Caps whom we least expected (like Varly and Big Johnny Erskine) got into his. I love it. I don't know whether to hope he gets suspended or comes back to help the Caps to another victory!!

Posted by: Boo- | April 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"I don't know whether to hope he gets suspended or comes back to help the Caps to another victory!!"

I was thinking the same thing.

I thought brash made a difference by replacing Nylander...

Posted by: _828 | April 21, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I will say this though, despite the caps success last nite, neither team is playing as fast as Chicago, Calgary, ducks or sharks. there is a noticeble difference in speed.

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Nyles wasn't missed, was he? I haven't been a hater, but it was a good move. Why didn't Brash play more?

I hope Avery's back tomorrow night. We love you Sean!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

828:
I would agree with that. Even though he didn't play much, he did what he needed to do. But really that game came down to:

- the guys crashing the net
- shots from all over the place
- the team playing as a unit
- Varly being a beast

It didn't hurt that NY did not play the same game that they were playing in DC, either. They were not tight, they did not block as many shots and they were just plain sloppy. The perfect storm!

Posted by: Boo- | April 21, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Boo, I think they came out to play their game, but ended up having to play ours. BIG goal by Semin to start the scoring

Posted by: Sonyask | April 21, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The star of the game, in my book and in some other delusional fans which includes one or two sports writers (wink, wink), was Brasheer.

Posted by: opita1 | April 21, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@doughless: Kind of surprised to see you here today. You were one of the biggest bashers in here yesterday. Seemed like you were basking in the playoff mess the Caps find themselves in. Are you a Caps fan or just one of those people that love to complain about everything...Caps, 'Skins, Nats, the weather, Santa Clause, etc...

You did everything from say that BB caused a goaltender mess, to calling out OV for not being at practice on Sunday, to trashing our "EUROs" as a whole. Has the fire temporarily been contained on the bandwagon and you'd like to get back on?

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

How so, Opita? I barely understand what you wrote.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oo7 | April 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah but like in any sport, the WEST teams always run & gun & the EAST play that tighter game.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

bhound69,
English is my second language and I haven't mastered as well as many here; I am sorry to say I couldn't have written it more clear, but, you say: "I barely understand ...", does that mean you understood some of it? If so what part? Maybe I can clarify my meaning.

Posted by: opita1 | April 21, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

why would anyone want Avery suspended? He's good for 3 to 4 stupid minor penalties a game. Last night he was a big reason for our win. Walk the catwalk Sean.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

bhound69,
My mate, a lovely American Girl, tells me that I should have replied to you with an explanation that the posting in question was just - as she puts it - a weak form of wit from a witless man. (LOL)

Posted by: opita1 | April 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

With Threeorfour and Circles on the bench/healthy scratch, how much salary (percentage of the cap) was idol last night?

Posted by: B-LeaguerD | April 21, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

idle

Posted by: B-LeaguerD | April 21, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Respecting Avery -- I want him in if the refs are calling a fair game (last night) when they called Avery for his egerious infractions. I don't want Avery in if the refs give him a blind eye, green light as in games 1&2, especially the trip on Green -- blatant no call. Avery does not have enough talent and mentality to play without committing a ton of penalties. The issue is whether or not the refs will whistle him.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

complain i do/did. some observations were off the mark, others weren't. Bottom line: Caps played like they were in the playoffs last night (something i complained they HAD NOT done in the first 2 games). now do it again wednesday and for the rest of the series. i will be watching/at the games either way.

arguably the most important person on the ice for the caps last night was Lumberjack (Canadian). Euros were smoking last night. go ahead and rag, Fanohock, i deserve it.

Posted by: doughless | April 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

B-League, none because there is no salary cap in the playoffs. but of course, you knew that.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Of course. But those two took up a lot of cap space in the regular season for the minimal/negative contribution they are making now.

Posted by: B-LeaguerD | April 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse