Morning Reading List: Game 6 Aftermath

(Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post)

If their performance in yesterday's must-win Game 6 is any indication, the Capitals appeared to have fully realized their potential in these playoffs. They're getting secondary scoring and offense from regular contributors. They've made Henrik Lundqvist look ordinary in the past two games all while deflating the Rangers' collective confidence as the teams return to Washington for Game 7 tomorrow.

Sally Jenkins evaluates the Rangers' regression from a team with a 3-1 advantage in the series with a well-executed system to a team that has been "...reduced to whining about foul language."

Here are the highlights from yesterday's game.

There are a few incidents from the game that will likely be reviewed by NHL officials, which Tarik dissects here.

In case you missed it yesterday, the Rangers have asked the NHL to discipline the Capitals after Coach John Tortorella's altercation with Verizon Center fans.

Henrik Lundqvist was often the story in the first four games, but the Rangers' star netminder has struggled in the past two games so much so that the Capitals didn't even notice when he was pulled from yesterday's 5-3 win at Madison Square Garden.

Over at the neighboring D.C. Sports Bog you'll find:

Fans voted over at NHL.com and determined that Alex Ovechkin's greatest tally is still "The Goal."

You can check out additional coverage of yesterday's game from The Washington Times, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun and SI's Allan Muir.

Through the Rangers' Looking Glass
Recaps with a Rangers' perspective from The New York Times, The Daily News and Newsday.

New York reaction on Brashear's hit on Betts from Newsday along with columnist Mark Herrmann telling Blueshirts fans not to give up hope.

CBC's Craig Simpson believes Tortorella's reaction to the fans at Verizon Center was "Avery-like."

In the System
It has become a spring tradition in the AHL, Hershey facing off against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and this year does not disappoint as the two clubs prepare for their fourth-consecutive post-season meeting.

And more on the rivalry that is Bears and Penguins, which proves to make for an intriguing series.

By Katie Carrera  |  April 27, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jenkins: From Winning to Whining
Next: Brashear Could Face One-Game Suspension

Comments

Go Caps! I can't wait till game 7. (first)
Here's hoping for a Laich goal.

Posted by: zephyr33 | April 27, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the same phantom who dumped beer on Tortorella is the same one who bit Dubinsky.

Posted by: meagle | April 27, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

So did he or didn't he bite him? Does Dubinsky get suspended for the hit from behind? Not a big deal at all if Brash gets suspended. Frankly I think he deserves it. Just insert Nylander who likely adds more value at this point anyway. A Shaone Morrison suspension though could hurt. Even if Schultz is good to go do they want him in? Alzner maybe? Just my thoughts. Hopefully noone is suspended.

Posted by: lornemyoung | April 27, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

@lore

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! NYLS MORE VALUABLE THE BRASH. HAHAHA there goes our grit!. sorry but Brash has way more value in a game 7, win or go home game. we need to stay tought and need to keep pushing them, and we need our enforcers to do that. otherwise avery will run amuck.

WOOO GO CAPS WIN GAME 7!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | April 27, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Clark is skating; Clark has grit; Brash is a RW, Nyles is a center, and Clark is a RW -- Clark > Nyles

PS that "bite" is more of the same NYR bullhockey -- can't win on the ice, try to win in the NHL's office and in the press

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 27, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Clark could possibly take Brash's spot too...

I dont think Brash will get suspended. The over-reaction is because he got hurt...If he wasnt hurt, then no big deal...

Look at the hit on Green...if he was hurt, we would be livid.

I also say what goes around comes around, because Avery has been trying to hurt guys all series.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Man, I've trying to be patient and respect the opponent and all that stuff, but these Rangers are really whining now. I mean, this is "I'm telling" what they're doing now. Dude was caught on camera throwing that Gatorade bottle and _hitting_ the fan in the head! Well, that's where the all that discussion ends (not even counting the threatening with the stick).

What's next, too hot in DC so they are uncomfortable?

Posted by: StanislavNS | April 27, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope the phantom fan is back for game 7...He had a "Reno 911" T-Shirt on...I love it...hahaha

We might as well refer to him as "Lieutenant Dangle."

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

First of all, the guy dumped somthing that the rangers people said smelled like beer. Get over it, it happened. And if dubi has a bite mark whoever bit him should get the gate for at least five games. And don't dare say if semin, or backstrom or he'll nylander said they were bit by let's say mara that you would be all " our caps should stop crying". You would be screaming about it. And could you imagine any cap being hit by Orr like brash hit betts? First I don't know how the refs told the rangers it was clean and second you caps fans would be going nuts. Seems the caps found out how to win, cheat. Brash at least, taking a top PK guy out who shut down the PP is why thugs like him should be gone (yes same goes for Orr) unless they can pk or score some.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Sa. Avery hasn't been trying to hurt anyone, if he was trying they. Would be hurt. Also everyone should look at the interferance rule, and brash should have been called for int, if a player is injured it is a five min major, you can also get suspended. And nothing to say his elbo was up. And if green got hurt dubi would have gotten a 5 and a game as well as probably suspended, and I wouldn't cry about a cap trying to hurt rangers as if it made it ok. Avery has nothing to do with brash hitting one of the cleanest guys in the NHL.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Did I read this right, in the Daily News article Katie links to?

"It'll be impossible to win tomorrow night, in what will be the Rangers' first Game 7 since the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals."

That's not a columnist's opinion or a quote from some notable, it's in the news article. I can't remember seeing anything like that, ever. "Difficult", yes. "Hard to overcome the momentum shift", yes. "Impossible to win"? No.

Posted by: chrisd3 | April 27, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

@rangersfan44

Boo hoo! Cry me a river. Can't you see what's going on? Like big brother to his uncoordinated, awkward little redheaded stepsister: "Let's play best of 7, I'll spot you three." The Rags never stood a chance. Brashear's hit may have been a bit late, but it was a clean shoulder.

Have fun this off-season.....

Posted by: kkd76 | April 27, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

If Brash is suspended, it will NOT be because of the hit on Betts. It will be because of the little shove he gave Orr during warm ups. Frankly, I think the hit was nothing more than run of the mill interference that was just 1 second too late. All shoulder too

Posted by: BuffaloCrunch | April 27, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

PS ^^Are all Rangers fans this terrible when it comes to grammar?

Posted by: BuffaloCrunch | April 27, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

@rangersfan44:

Cheat? That's what you come up with? So all of Avery's actions have been cheating? And plowing Greeny into the boards is cheating? I guess both teams are cheating then. Brash's hit was late, the kind that happen 20 or 30 times a game. Difference is, he's bigger and stronger than the little wuss he sent home. He should have been penalized, yes, and maybe he should be suspended. But if you think this is cheating, I feel sorry for you. Nobody even knows if this biting incident actually occurred and you're crying for a 5-game suspension. Maybe if we sit our first two lines and call up our first two from Hershey--maybe that'll make things fair. It's amazing to me--the series isn't over. In fact, if your keeper can get his feet back under him, you've got a decent shot. But all you want is to cry and complain about what was and what should be. Perhaps you should cry about not having defensive breakdowns, not giving the puck up in your own zone and catching the puck shortside glove. Cry about that and at least you can get out of this with the small amount of dignity you have left.

Posted by: stulaloyd | April 27, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I'll be happy after tomorrow to get rid of these idiotic Rangers fans. To say the Caps are cheating to win is jus ludicrious. The Caps ARE the better team, get over it. The Rangers have next to no offense. If it wasn't for Lundqvist, this series would already be over. And Avery wasn't trying to hurt anyone? So I guess that butt-end of the stick to the face of Jurcina AFTER an icing call wasn't an intent to injure? Or the slash to Pothier's face? What a tool.

Posted by: Don-Ald | April 27, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

God you're dumb. First off, I think you meant to type then instead of than. Secondly, I wouldn't give s**t if Orr hit Ovechkin high because Ovechkin is tough and would get right back up, unlike Mr. Betts.

Posted by: BuffaloCrunch | April 27, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh - cry me a river, Rangers fans.

I almost went to security the other night over a deliberate and repeated mispronunciation of a certain Caps player's surname that begins with a C when spelled in Cyrillic and has an unfortunate transliteration into English - and the repeated commentary about him and other Russian players being "commie f*ggots" coming from the Rangers fans behind me.

When you are in someone else's house, you behave yourself. I'm certain that certain chants that are audible on national television from MSG are really classy in front of small children, too.

As for Morrisonn - when you get a face-full of arm, and it's between your teeth, biting down is something of a reaction. I'm not defending him if he *did* bite anyone, but I'm just saying that probably he didn't do it maliciously.

To quote another diva (Birgit Nilsson, the Swedish opera star) after being bitten on the neck on stage by tenor Franco Corelli, "I'm sorry; I can't come in tonight." "Why not?" "Rabies." :-p

On the Brashear hit - I suspect that it was his shoulder that came up and hit Betts first; the elbow did not in the replays I saw appear to connect. Yes, it was a late hit. It was a hard hit. It's up to the League to decide if it was a legal hit or not, and frankly, based on the size the replay is online, I'm not going to try and make a judgment call on it.

Posted by: irockthered | April 27, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Stul, I do complain about the rangers d brakdowns. The point about brash is that when you injure someone during a int it's a five min major, so the caps pp doesn't happen and they don't score and don't take the lead. Probably still win, but the point is brash knew what he was doing targetting the rangers top pk guy. And for those that still think avery aimed that shot at the iceing LOL! You give him to much credit LOL! Anyway the whistle was stll blowing when he swung, he didn't plan that after the iceing , and yes he went high, but he wasn't aiming, he was just swinging LOL. See you craps fans cry about a bloodie nose and a hit to a guy who starting the power play they got off the hit and a non injury high stick, but call rangers fans babies for being upset about a late hit that seems to have seriously injured a player. It that guy laying on the ice was ovechkin or semin you would be calling for a rangers forfeit. Get over it, yeah cheating was the wrong term, but the caps players don't seem to find it wrong to do what brash did, nor bb, and thats a sad day for a team that with just one or two players might be able to win 2 or 3 cups in a row. Have some pride, call for brash's head, don't let one idiot tarnish what otherwise is a great team.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Tarik -

First, thanks for all of hard work!

Question, the Caps seem to do best when they are the underdog, do you think Bruce can keep the idea in the teams heads for game seven? I just hope they can bring the same urgency to game seven and get that first goal again. I'll be yelling my support from the upper deck.

And not to get too ahead of ourselves, but do you think Theo might play a game or two again in round two? If I remember, part of Varly's adjustment this year was being too tired after games because the NHL plays more often than the European leagues. If the Caps go deep do you think he may need more than one night rest at some point, necessitating Theo in net?

Posted by: AMHV2772 | April 27, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Rangerfan44: Do you mean if Orr would have hit Semin by trying to rip his head off like he did in game 5 when the score was 4-0? Tortorella sent a Voros and Orr out to do some damage after the Caps put the game out of reach.

Betts just released the puck turned and his immediately by Brashear. The force was probably worse because Betts turned right into him to skate to the bench. The hit by Rosizval on Ovechkin, you know the one NBS lauded as an explosion, which was actually a hit from behind, was dirtier than Brashear's.

I don't know if Morrison bit Dubinsky, if so, I agree, he should be suspended. You never know what happened though because Callahan, who throws friggin' punches and gets away with it constantly, came in a punched Dubinsky rather than Morrison, maybe his Dumb @$$ bit him.

Callahan's punching incidents he gets away with included the one where he intended to punch Morrison and punched Dubinsky, punched Ovechkin earlier in the game when Ovi was clearing him away from Varlamov, and last but not least during the scrum after the 2nd on Friday he was punching Erskine and Fehr. He makes himself look like a wimp when he does it too because it is usually in the back of the head or he's reaching around a linesman trying to break things up.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Rangerfan44: How is the altercation between the Tortorella and a few fans helping the Caps? The game was already 4-0 and most of our top players were already waiting for Game 6?

The Caps haven't climbed back into the series because they are cheating, what a joke? The fact is the only man that was beating them is worn out, you could see it even after the Game 4 win.

The only way the Caps lose tomorrow is if Lundqvist stands on his head like he did in games 2 and 4. The Caps have finally isolated where to shoot, and it might be because Lundqvist is tired, but it appears to be high glove.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

rangerfan44 -- nice verbal diarrea -- go back on your meds

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 27, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Irock, I can tell you that if I was at the rangers game, I would have asked for those idiots to be removed, I go for hocky and yes to get on players, but not like that, that's stupid and has no place, and yes I've done it before. As a note I'm typing on my iPhone, it's new and tough to typing sometimes and it auto " corrects" and if I forget to proof read I can look absolutly stupid, so I apologize for some wrong words.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Difference is, since he got into the league, people have been gunning for Ovie. Difference is, someone takes a run at him, they bounce off him. Difference is, he plays with his head on a swivel. So try and come at him with a late shoulder hit. Don't think he'd miss game 7 because of it. You do have some semblance of reasoning, so I'll bite. Brash helped get us back into the series and I agreed with you that he hit a guy late and if it had been seen and called it should've been a major. Fine. That's about it. If Erskine wasn't called for cleanly checking Andropov into the boards, your 5 on 4 doesn't start which leads to your eventual 5 on 3 on a weak hooking call. Bad calls are made, calls are missed, but in the end, this series has not turned into what it is because of the refs. I think missing Brash would hurt us if he's suspended, but I can't do anything about it. I also think it won't prove to be something worth complaining about.

Posted by: stulaloyd | April 27, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

all i hear is excuses for why the rangers aren't winning anymore. I would put money on a Game 7 "the ice at verizon center was terrible and the humidity in the building caused our guys to play horribly." I'm still surprised the Rangers even made it to playoffs especially since they are now playing like they did all season.
cheers to game 7 caps fans!

Posted by: abuddy2004 | April 27, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Fan: that brash hit is a text book late hit. And I would rather get punched that hit late like that. Boone except people here think it was ok, even tsn called it late, and they are not ranger homers. And yes I think the dubi hit should be reviewed, just as they should have reviewed the avery stuff. But to try to make like brash did nothing wrong? Come on, I'm a hockey fan, I want the rangers to win, but I can't stand dirty, that's why I cheered hollweg being gone, like I said, have some pride, the caps don't need brash to win, and all he dose is make the tam look bad.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Brash's hit was a bit late, but it wasn't penalized on the ice. I don't see any way they can suspend him. If they didn't suspend Avery for the stick on Jurcina (which DID get a penalty) and they didn't suspend Orr for the hit on Semin (which DID get a penalty), to suspend Brashear for a hit that did NOT get a penalty is really going to look unbalanced.

Plus, you know the NHL wants Carolina and the Caps to win tomorrow anyway, so we play the Pens and Cindy.

Posted by: jhamond1 | April 27, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Rangerfan44: I will say this, I don't like seeing anyone hurt, especially someone who plays as hard and as clean as Betts, he is a hard-working clean player. That being said the hit wasn't from behind, or with a high stick, it was an unfortunate situation where a huge dude ran into an average size dude. It probably didn't help that he skated into Brashear without knowing he was there.

As far as Orr, Avery, Dubinsky, Callanhan, or Staal, if you don't think those guys don't go out there and pray to GOD that they catch Ovi looking the other way so they can lay him out you are naive as hell. Ovi has to skate with his head up and protect himself for at least 3 seconds AFTER he releases a puck because the hit is coming. Fans of other teams don't notice it because the only time he complains is when he gets clipped in the face with a high-stick, which happened yesterday, without a call.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

"Kk the rangers still have a chance. And if you don't see that than it's also why you must think it would be ok for Orr to hit ovechkin high and late as long as it's just a shoulder. LOL you would be crying like a baby"

Usually I stop paying attention to these pointless posts, but I cannot believe you come on to the a Caps boards (filled with mostly Caps fans/ supporters), whine about how the Caps players have been cheating, and then LOL someone on the Caps board and say that they would be crying like a baby.

Okay, I guess you are just leading by example at this point.

And if you have not noticed, many of the fans here have been quite sensible too about the Brash hit and the potential suspension. If he were to be suspended I highly doubt many would be crying like babies as you call it.

The fact is, through this series Caps fans have seen many of their players run down by cheapies, some of the cheap shots, IMO have been worse, like the Avery shot on Jurcina....Avery had a lot of momentum from skating, and who knows exactly how much control he really had over where his butt end of his stick ended up...he was not fully in control of his own body at that point, yet the intent to get Jurcina with his stick was definitely there.

Oh goodness, whatever dude. Why don't you take you talk to a board that really cares. Is there some sort of Ranger's therapy board out there where Ranger fans can discuss their feelings over the mistreatment in this series??

I am not deluded here, I know that there is still a 50-50 chance of winning on Tuesday, but I think the Caps have what it takes!!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 27, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I did not read all of the post since the end of the game but here are some of my perspectives as a Caps fan watching from MSG yesterday:

1) Based on the hit and the before game incident, I believe Brash will be suspended for game #7. Plan for him not to be there.

2) The ShaMo incident is absoutely ridiculous. Rangers should be ashamed of themselves.

3) During the pre-game, MSG put up a message on the telescreen warning that any fan using abusive or foul language would be subject to ejection from the game. The fans preceded to chant a......hole. Real classy.

4) There were decidedly more children at this game (afternoon game after all) than the other two. My point comes back to #3 observation. Classy.

5) Even before the game started, MSG was not as loud as it was in the first two. There was a lot of tension.

6) Several Ranger fans made comments about the season being over. The fans have no confidence either.

7) My wife, who is a non-abusive Ranger fan, picked this one up indicating the intelligence of some Ranger fans. During the game, some people were yelling, "hey you commie Ovechkin, go back to DC." Now, if he is referring to a plotival statement like calling Russians a commie, the last place you would want them is in the political capital of DC. Also, don't the Rangers have a couple of Russians on their team? I know of at least Zherdev.

8) Caps fans were very strong in representing yesterday.

9) Folks, we have not won anything yet. Be confident, but not over confident. Time to finish the comeback.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Tortorella was, according to the league, "doused" with a beverage.

But, according to the NHL, this occurred AFTER the head coach squirted water into the crowd. And even Shoenfeld alleged that Tortorella's actions were likely in reaction to a statement a Verizon Center fan made about a Ranger player.

I understand the loyalty, but Tortorella was just in the wrong. There's absolutely no way to justify what he did.

I would hope Capitals fans would be able to show the same objectivity and admit that Brashear's hit was dirty and that Morrisonn should earn a suspension if he did indeed bite Dubinsky. But I would hope that there would be video evidence of the latter prior to any suspension.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 27, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Rangerfan44, you sound just like your team, whining to anyone who will listen. What happened to your team and your best palyer. At least our best player is doing something. By the way, the Brash hit was clean. I bet Torts' view from the skybox wasn't much better than it was on Friday night behind the bench.

Posted by: jwash4472 | April 27, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Fellow Caps fans. Now that the Caps have come back from a 3-1 deficit for the 2nd consective year to force a game 7 I believe they will come out with their best game of the series. They don't want to make the same mistake they did against Philly last year. If Lundqvist is standing on his head it will be a tough tough game. Getting one in on him early is the key because the Rangers can't seem to match our boys when the game opens up.

The story of the series IMO is still the play of Varly. He comes up with a nice save at crucial times to keep momentum on our side. Happy 21st Varly!!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Im not thrilled with the Brash hit...for any Rangers fans here.

I feel if the Brash hit didnt happen, then neither does the board on Green...thats just way it goes.

That being said...It's gonna take more then a Brash suspension to hold this team down tomorrow...The Rangers are in the coffin, and Henrik is holding the nails...Ovie has a big hammer in his hand...And dont think we're gonna be nice to Torts and the boys behind the bench tomorrow...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Brash's hit was a bit late, but he did not appear to be trying to injure, and the elbow did not hit the head. I do think it's likely he'll be suspended, if nothing else for the Orr altercation, and we can live with that.

If Brash is out I'd like to see Aucoin brought up -- he's not scheduled for another game until Saturday and the guy's got a lot of spark.

Schoenfeld actually said that Dubinsky is currently out because of the bite. What a joke!

This is not over -- we need to work hard to win. But I'm pretty sure we can pull it off if we do.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't like what torts did for the record. I have said I might have snapped as well, but it doesn't make it ok. And again. Since avery was holding his stick at the very end I doubt he was trying to use it, if he was trying to use his stick he would have choked up on it, you again give avery to much credit.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Avery's mortal combat imitation with the spinning backhand after each check? How many times has he done that this series?

Posted by: MNMNT | April 27, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

avery hasnt been trying to hurt anyone? what do you call swinging the butt end of your stick into someones head? a love tap? he swiped the blade of his stick at erskins face when he was down on the ice and put the blade of his stick to ovies throat. you reap what you sew. and if anything brash could have been called for charging, not interference since betts had just played the puck and no body else had touched it. happens all the time. sorry he got hurt, but brash's elbow was tucked.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Sonyask, have you ever been bitten? If dubi was bitten as he said in the hand it could affect his ability to hold to stick. Trust me being bitten can wreak havok on you.

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Rangersfan44 -- I think you lost whatever credibility you had when you first came over here.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize until just now today is Varly's 21st. I hope he's smart enough to hold off the 'celebration', as it were, until after the playoffs, or at least a long layoff.

As for potential suspensions, I agree with earlier posts that Brash should be suspended for the pregame crap, if anything. I'm more worried about ShaMo. I have yet to see any evidence beyond Schoenie's whining, but that's a bigger loss to overcome if he can't go tomorrow night.

And if Brash is going to be suspended for the hit on Betts, then Dubinsky better be out for the hit from behind on Green. You know, if he can overcome the gruesome bite injury that is.

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Trust me being bitten can wreak havok on you.

Ragsfan44- You get bitten a lot?

Posted by: meagle | April 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Poor Tortellini, the homophobic remarks, the abuse; poor Dubinsky, a tetanus shot and a bite, neither for which has there been shown any actual evidence. It's not fair!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

This whole biting thing is ridiculous. I hope your dog doesn't eat your homework before the game.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah because all those "commie" remarks are good for children to hear at MSG.

Rangers fans, just shut it.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think that we should start the 'Poti Sucks' chant tomorrow night in anticipation for some offensive production.

Posted by: 104_CapsFan | April 27, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"And again. Since avery was holding his stick at the very end I doubt he was trying to use it, if he was trying to use his stick he would have choked up on it, you again give avery to much credit."

Well, thank goodness Avery was in full control of his stick when he butt ended it into Jurcina's face. There I was thinking it was intentional!!!

Thank goodness Avery is much shorter than Juice, who knows where that "controlled" stick could have ended otherwise.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 27, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Chanting a....hole is a real good one for the kids to hear. Instead of a few people in one two-three row section, the whole arena hears that one.

Rangers fans, just shut it

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I can promise you Dubi and Stahl end up on the kiss cam tomorrow..

Boy Sather really set them up for that one.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm excited for Game 7. But there is a part of my that's quite nervous because all the Rangers need is for Lundqvist to steal one more and they move on. But I'm hopeful. Keep shooting glove side, top shelf.

Posted by: CDon | April 27, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely! We need to be sharp.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Glen Sather's letter to Bettman was about the poorest piece of writing I've ever read. If Sather can't identify Verizon security personnel by name and provide visual and eye witness accounts of what happened then the whole situation involving Tortorella boils down to a "he said/he said" whine-fest more reminiscent of 3-year olds than adults.

If a fan was yelling in Tortorella's ear why didn't he simply move down the bench so he wasn't standing in fromt of the "unusually wide" gaps in the glass? I'm sure Caps' majority owner, Mr. Leonsis, would chuckle at the thought of incurring the expense of replacing the glass specifically for Game 5 so the gaps were unusually wide. The gap space seemed just fine when the Rangers won games 1 and 2.

I saw the tape too and my wife and kid were at the game in section 108. The only thing they saw was Tortorella losing his crackers and threatening the fans. The beer was thrown at him AFTER he initiated the situation. While I don't condone throwing of any object, Tortorella is paid a handsome salary for dealing with unruly and obnoxious fans. Maybe if Tortorella looked at his checking account balance maybe he'd learn to lighten up, laugh and take fan craziness for what it is.

Bettman should respond by saying

"Mr. Sather, after a thorough review, we have concluded that no security system in the world can prevent a coach from becoming unhinged during a game because he's getting spanked by the opposing team".

Posted by: dpam0566 | April 27, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I am worried about Henrik as well, but he is gassed...He has been worn out, and all the shots that he has taken has really gotten to him. He has no confidence in the guys in front.

He has been quoted as saying..

"They just keep coming"

Well Harold Lundberg, get ready.....it wont stop tomorrow either...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpam0566

LOL

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm catching up with last night's Devils - Canes game and in the intermission they showed a clip on Zherdev's play in our series.

Aside from missing a number of half empty nets the dude is plain scared to get hit. They showed a bunch of plays where he just turned the puck over when he saw someone coming for him. I'm changing my mind on him. Perhaps he's better suited for the less physical KHL. He's certainly not ready to play in the NHL playoffs. The kid has mad skills, but is just playing like a p*ssy. It's the playoffs!

The Rangers should call up Anisimov and play him in place of Zherdev in game 7. That's what I'd do anyway. He can't possibly be more useless than Zherdev has been.

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

For the folks checking out the NY media, check out the polls in their papers (Daily News, Newsday) asking who will win Game 7. Nearly 80% of the online readers of both papers (mostly New Yorkers, presumably) think the Caps are going to win...

Let's hope they're right.

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | April 27, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

It's funny that the rags fan isn't talking about how brashear was hit up high and when he turned around to confront the guilty one, he jumped on the bench real quick. Good for Brashear, " You want to hit me and jump on the bench like a puss? Watch this" And you give Brash too much credit for thinking that he knew that Betts was the Rangers top PP guy, lol.

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 27, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

It's not just Lundstrom; We've knocked them off their game the last two. Look at the shot count. We peppered him with 35, 35, 33, and 39 in the 1st 4 games, but we were not as effective as games 5 and 6, when we shot 20 and 22. Out front there's been plenty of red rather than a uniform sea of blue. We're winning the battles and catching them out of position. We're playing a team game.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Kk the rangers still have a chance. And if you don't see that than it's also why you must think it would be ok for Orr to hit ovechkin high and late as long as it's just a shoulder. LOL you would be crying like a baby/

Posted by: rangerfan44 | April 27, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah we would be crying alright but we didn't start this...but we sure are going to finish you wuss bags once & for all.
Reap what you sow. U cheap shot flea bags with marginal talent are a bunch of hypo.

Know this: GREAT BIG PPL > mediocre little people.

ps - That's why u ran into Brashear's shoulder shorty.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 27, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

From TSN,
Washington Capitals forward Donald Brashear has a 1pm et hearing with the National Hockey League to discuss his actions in Game 6 against the New York Rangers.

Brashear will face supplemental discipline for both his exchange with New York's Colton Orr in the warm-up prior to the game and his late hit on Rangers forward Blair Betts in the first period.

The Capitals defeated the Rangers 5-3 on Sunday to force Game 7 on Tuesday.

my guess is he gets a 1 gamer for the pre game incident, which he probably wouldnt have gotten if he hadn't layed out betts. nothing on morrison. would doubt anything would come of that unless there is clear visual evidence, which i doubt there is.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 27, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Enough of the childish crap.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VARLY!

Varly Is GNARLY!

C-A-P-S!! CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: jdhoover | April 27, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Way to kowtow to the Rangers, NHL. Nice.

Does McCreary have a 1pm hearing with the league office for that joke of a 3rd period?

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

One thing I think was a brilliant move was putting Ovie in front of the goal during the PP. I hope we see that more often.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan, Brash will most likely get one game for the pre-game incident since Andre Roy in Calgary got one the other day for a similar incident. The question is what they decide to do about the Betts hit.

Even Kenny Albert (I believe) gave up on the Rags yesterday. After the Caps made it 5 - 1 he said "It's just men against boys here this afternoon." Got a good laugh hearing the oppositions radio guys saying things like that.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 27, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I lost my login for the Caps message board at Washingtoncaps.com. People, it's time we turn the Verizon Center into the old RFK. There is only one way to do this -- get there before warmups and start bouncing the stadium. We need a good "We want Avery" or "we want Henry" chant going. If you sit in 101, we need you there early and we need you stomping and bouncing like never before. Shake the Rangers' lockerroom, shake stuff off the walls. It's one thing to chant "Avery s**ks", he's used to that. I'm talking primordeal warpath blood chants, the stuff we used to do to the Cowboys before moving to Landover.

Posted by: Matt23185 | April 27, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

good post Matt.

I know this has been brought up here before, but when (if) the Rags fans start with let's go rangers, lets just shout them down with the C-A-P-S chant instead of Rangers suck. We don't even want to acknowledge the Rags fans in the building.

Let's be positive.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 27, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Эй Алекс, что такое 'теэ времени, и почему бы рейнджерсов один в среду?"

"Ну Симеона ... Я уверен, что-то делать с гольф, а не хоккей. Они не играют в Сибири, но я смотрел один раз на Sportcenter. Они используют небольшой белый мяч, а не шайба".

"О, ОК ... и что-то другое ... Что такое Segway?"

"Hey Alex, what is a 'tee time' and why would the Rangers have one on Wednesday?"

"Well Simeon...I'm pretty sure it has something to do with golf, not hockey. They don't play it in Siberia but I watched in once on Sportcenter. They use a little white ball instead of a puck."

"Oh OK...and another thing...what's a Segway?"

Posted by: GiveBloodPlayHockey | April 27, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@ ds_kelly

2nd'ed. Also yelling Let's go Capitals over the Let's go Rangers is good, rather than taking turns.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | April 27, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Brash won't get suspended for the hit... he will get suspended for the push on Orr before the game. However, that was a message to Orr and the rest of the Ranger team - you try to hurt our guys, we come after yours (ie Orr on Semin in Game 5). Everything was fine for the Ranger fans when they were taking runs at the Caps when they were up... as soon as the Caps started to play physical, the Rags start to cry... typical.

How about you play good hockey instead of crying about every other thing. If you don't want the Caps to score 5 on 'the king', stop them... pretty simple really.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I suspect there won't be too many Rangers fans there tomorrow night. There were surprisingly few on Friday when they had a chance to end the series and momentum on their side. I get nervous before all of these big games and hope that Lundqvist doesn't steal this from our boys but I just have a feeling that Ovi, Backs (playing with piss and vinegar), a healthy Green, slick Semin, and a cast of characters that have gelled into a great TEAM will not let one player, or an official end there run in the 7th game of round 1 this year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

ESPN just reported that the Wash Post is reporting Green and Brash have been suspended for Game #7. WTF with Green?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

So for all those nuts likethe sasha's of the world - can they take some heat for bashing on Greenie?

The dude was playing @ 80% & trying to play w/ a bug.

Geeesh. Lets just say @ 80%, the Rangers were still trying to hammer him into submission on the forecheck not Pothier or Jurcina.

The dude is a world class player.
Eat your words sasha.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 27, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Green??

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

It's not on WaPo.com that I can see. Where is ESPN getting this?

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Post isnt reporting anything, or it would be on this blog.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I don't understand that one. I am hoping they made a mistake on that. I don't know what Green did in the game.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

They said "Breaking news, The Washington Post is reporting that MIke Green and Donald Brashear have been suspended for Game #7." They say they are waiting for details.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if any of you noticed the report for practice last week but everyone showed up and was on the ice even though the boys were 4 games through a tough series. That says a lot about their expectations too.

As for the PP. It was totally unpredictable the boys were rotating around the zone like crazy. McCreary did his best to get the Rangers back in the game with all of the balony calls and 2 5-3s in the same period.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Brash has a 1 p.m hearing...I dont think that report is right.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

If anyone cares I just found Ovie's street wear collection available to purchase online. I love it because it's exactly my style (I'd like it even if it had nothing to do with Ovie).

Unfortunately, when I tried to complete my order it wouldn't let me because I live in the US (or anywhere outside of Canada). What gives?

Sent them an email telling them that I would really to love to give them my money and asking how that can be arranged.

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

ESPN sucks. They do nothing for hockey. If it doesn't involve Sir LeBron they don't have a clue what's going on

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town, I know about the hearing which is why this seemed strange.

JS, I agree and I hope it was just them playing stupid.

I am hoping we get some kind of word from the quoted source.

Tarik, have you heard anything?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Rag44, aka - Kettle or hyprocrite if you will.

Since obviously there has never been any Ranger player today or former player that would have committed such an atrocity such as Brash's hit on a player just a little too late after the puck has left their stick. Tie Domi, Joey Kocur, Ulf Samuelsson are one's that come to mind quickly. Yes, Brash has always been the enforcer on the team. Has he ever been dirty, not that I recall, but I am sure I will be corrected if I am.

Do I like that Brash hit him late, no. Do I think he targeted him, I doubt it. It was 4th line against 4th line. Do I believe he should be suspended for a game for both the pre-game incident and hit, yes. Do I like that your guy was injured, no. I want a clean hard hitting, but honest game played on both parties (obviously that excludes Avery and his side show).

Kettle, Obviously your stand up crew in NY never has berated any opposing fans, players, or coach. Surely they have never spilled anything on anyone not wearing the home logo. And the amount of Rags fans that have been escorted or arrested throughout the years from the former Caps Center/US Air Arena and now Verizon Center during and after games can only mean that us "cr@ps" fans aren't as passionate about our team....

So Kettle, now that we are heckling and turning it back around on you, your thin skinned all of a sudden? What gives, can't take it? Maybe after soo many yers of hearing this same ol ridicule from Rags, Philthy, and Pens fans we have had enough and won't put up with it anymore.

Kettle, I am not saying your out of it on Tuesday, because Murphy rules my life, but I really hope that you are golfing on Wednesday.

Posted by: caps28fan | April 27, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

While waiting for a new post, I'm racking my brain for any possible excuse to suspend Green. I'm lost

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they're confused and they mean that Dubinsky is getting suspended for the hit from behind AGAINST Green. I can't find any Washington Post report of this either.

Posted by: christiansonm | April 27, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

When someone posts a link for Green suspension, I will believe it... until then, They are giving away 1000 dollar bills at McDonalds.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"Was Green on the ice when Dubinsky supposedly got bit? Are they accusing him instead of ShaMo?"

To my recollection, Green was literally on the ice, as in facedown, at the time, having just been boarded by Dubinsky.

Posted by: christiansonm | April 27, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm searching on this so called rumor about suspension's and I have a feeling it's just false. Somebody havin some fun.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 27, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

link to espn -- not seeing on their site??? false rumor???

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 27, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

_828 - LOL

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 27, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If it's false, WaPo better sue ESPN because they're the ones being quoted as the source it ain't anywhere on this site. Still not anywhere online that I can find

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I did not mean to cause any major ruckuss, but I was hoping someone can try to explain what possible reason this could be for. Sorry for the grammar.

All I can think is that they are being called into testify about their incidences. I could see Green needing to talk about the hit and what happened afterwards. Unless he said something to the refs or other officials, but if it were during the game, he would have gotten a penalty.

Confused in CT.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Chaos Chaos!!! Was the report on Sportcenter? It's not on ESPN.com, or TSN.com so it isn't in print as far as I can see. Yes, Green was on the ice during the ShaMo incident because he was the one checked from behind. He didn't go anywhere near the altercation. This is way too early for the NHL to announce suspensions anyway. They have their hearings mid-day, and make their announcements, after a round table I'm sure, later in the evening. Green won't be suspended. Also, the ONLY place you see the biting incident talked about is in NY and now Washington because the Post is referencing it. TSN and ESPN don't mention the biting accusations.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

the only disciplinary link I can find is from tsn: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=276631

this only involves the 1 pm hearing of Brash -- the Green rumor is just that

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 27, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

ESPN is changing their story. Not suspended yet.

ESPN is running from their own story.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

It's all over the crawl on SportsCenter and ESPNews, but not online

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Piere LeBrun seems to have corrected the idiots to say there is a hearing at 1pm.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure "CTCapsPhan" isn't really "CTCapsPhan"....."rangerfan44" has mysteriously disappeared and hasn't posted in awhile....

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | April 27, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

ESPN just changed it to "Pierre Lebrun reports that Green and Brashear have a 1PM hearing." I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brash get suspended, but there's still no indication of what Green could possibly be in trouble for. Scoring?

Posted by: christiansonm | April 27, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 10:20 AM |

Definitely fanohock1. Too woozy from the hit & it wasn't a pretty site to see his head snapped awkwardly against the boards.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 27, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Ha!

I should take offense to that, but I can't because it was funny.

Sorry, it really was me.

Glad it has been corrected. Sorry again for causing any grief.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 27, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that worries me about tomorrow night is everyone's expectation that we will win. If the Caps share this expectation it will be bad. They lose when they get overconfident and lazy. But this quote from Michael Oberbaker from th Daily news is somewhat reassuring:

"It'll be impossible to win tomorrow night, in what will be the Rangers' first Game 7 since the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals. The Rangers have never won a Game7 on the road (0-4)."

Posted by: caraveli | April 27, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

There was no offense directed at the real "CTCapsPhan"=)

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | April 27, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

ESPN probably means Morrison

Lets not jump all over the 20 year old intern that no one edits before she puts..

"Ovechkin out with major concussion from Brashear hit"

on the bottom line.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

ESPN should be sorry CT, I saw the same BS you did. As for Green, is it possible they'd have him testify against Dubinsky and lead to a suspension for him? What could he possibly have to answer for? I didn't remember that the "biting incident" was after Green got hit from behind. Of course he was down on the ice at the time

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 27, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Per NHL.com on Game 5:

The NHL has increased security for the contentious playoff series between the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers but won't discipline the Capitals for the way they protected the Rangers bench during Game 5.

In a letter sent by New York general manager Glen Sather to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, the Rangers asked the league to punish the Capitals just as it penalized John Tortorella, saying poor security led to the confrontation between the coach and fans.

"We will follow up on the Rangers' request, as appropriate," NHL spokesman Frank Brown said. "We had already implemented additional security procedures for Games 6 and 7 and we don't anticipate any further problems."

Brown added that the Capitals would not be penalized for anything that happened in Game 5. Tortorella was given a one-game suspension for squirting water and tossing a water bottle into the crowd at Washington during Friday's 4-0 loss to the Capitals.

Posted by: bajgirl | April 27, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

rangerfan44-

I've read about half the dialogue on here and already I've noticed a clear pattern. When we point out Avery's violent antics, Orr's hits (and Torts outburst for that matter) we are "overestimating them" like no one of the Rangers team ever plots anything or tries to hurt our team. But when we say that Brash shouldn't get suspended we are suddenly blind to the painstaking plotting and maneuvering that took place to purposefully hurt one of your players. I'm not going to sit here defending Brash's hit because when it comes down to it the NHL is going to do what they want, but to really be that blind to your own bias is laughable.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all, but IMO Brash will probably get a one game suspension. I don't think it will be for the hit on Betts. As someone else said, it will be for his 5 second conversation that ended with a shove with Orr prior to the game. There aren't any officials to police the teams during the warm-up so players are expected to stay away from each other.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, rangerfan44!

We've truly missed you. Last time you stopped by, the Rangers were up 3 to 1, wasn't it? Those were such happy times, weren't they? I remember it so well.

As for us, well, the Capitals have won two games since you last came by. The first one was a 4 to 0 win. That one was just a repeat of that first game we won. We're so proud of our goalie Varlamov. Oh, and it's his 21st birthday today! Yay, Varly! And yesterday's game, wow, what a doozy. We were leading for most of the first two periods and in the third, I'll be honest, I think our guys slacked off a little bit. Otherwise, it was a pretty cool game to watch. Sorry about some of those hits too. I think it was inevitable that one of our guys was going to get you guys back for some of the bumps and bruises we got from you guys. But it's cool, the Capitals are pretty tough fellas. They'll get well soon. =)

My condolences to that Betts guy though. Hope he feels better. As for Dubinsky, I'm not quite sure what to say. The tetanus shot must have stung a little, huh? I hope he got a grape lollipop. My nephew's pediatrician has loads of grape lollipops at his office. I could refer Dubinsky to him if he needs a new doctor.

I guess that's it for now. We'll chat with you tomorrow after the game, 'kay? Oh, and sorry about your coach's suit. To be honest though, I think it smelled like that even before the beer spilled on him. Oops. Lol.

Oh, before you leave, let the Rangers know that we'll be raffling off a new set of golf clubs to one of them so make sure they check their e-mails after Game 7 to see who the winner is. Take cares!

Sincerely,