Morning Reading List: Game 7

(Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post)

There's nothing quite like a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Yesterday, though, these two teams saw an increase in the number of subplots for the winner-take-all contest including the suspension of Donald Brashear and the potential return of captain Chris Clark.

Mike Wise sees tonight's game at Verizon Center as a chance at redemption for last year's finale against the Flyers. A Game 7 do-over, if you will.

Tarik will be online at 3 p.m. today for one of our old-fashioned online chats. So be sure to submit your questions here.

Over at the D.C. Sports Bog:

The Hockey News' Ken Campbell believes it would be a fitting end to this series for the Capitals to win. While the Rangers would "go down in history as arguably the least deserving team to ever win a playoff series" should they be victorious.

TSN's Bob McKenzie agrees with the league's six-game suspension of Donald Brashear. TSN also has Georges Laraque's take on Brashear's hit on Blair Betts.

More on the Brashear hit and suspension from the Vancouver Sun.

Through the Rangers' Looking Glass
Tortorella maintains that all the pressure is on the Capitals.

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun was at Rangers' practice yesterday and shares the Blueshirts perspective on the eve of this Game 7.

The Hockey News' Adam Proteau doesn't believe John Tortorella is to blame if the Rangers lose.

In the System
After a scary eye injury, Staffan Kronwall received news that he could return to the Bears' lineup in two to four weeks.

By Katie Carrera  |  April 28, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video (Kind Of): Mike Wise on Brashear
Next: Clark Likely Will Play

Comments

first!!

LETS GO VARLAMOV!!!!

Posted by: SovietSnipes | April 28, 2009 5:37 AM | Report abuse

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VARLY! after you win tonight go out and "party likes its 1999"!good luck boys.c-ya at the after party.LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | April 28, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 28, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Coupla pretty good columns from Mike Wise for a change. He's absolutely right that we take nothing for granted in tonight's chance for redemption. And the bearded white tee shirt guy is a good story (better on line, since you find out the horrific thing that set Tortellini off was for his players to be called "kitties").

Can't wait. Go CAPS!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

I dont think we will take anything for granted...

1) It's not in Ovie's make-up to not give 120%..He is the energy leader and will be flying
2) Chris Clark - We got a C on the ice, and he must be dying to get out there, and keep this season going.
3) The Players are probably upset about Brash, and want to put in the hard work for him
4) We did this last year, and we dont want to go out like that.
5) They know they deserve this, but nothing is easy in this league..work hard, never give up, and good things happen.
6) The Red Army - Need I say more?

The Rangers
1) Completely deflated as they have not been able to dictate play ALL SERIES
2) Henrik is tired and cracked
3) There coach is a major distraction
4) Unfortunataly Betts is hurt, and is a real heart and soul player
5) Drury is a dud captain and does nothing for this team.

Lets go get whats ours...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!!!
Here in Brazil, I'm rocking the red today!!
Like we say on the stadium here: Vai pra cima deles Capitals!

Posted by: MiaLeonaldo | April 28, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Prediction:

Varly will steal the game as hes done all series. OV will be a non-factor. Semin will get a hat-trick.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | April 28, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Even if OV does not get a goal, he'll be a factor by how he skates hard every shift, how he hits, how he shoots, how he passes, how he plays defense, and how much attention he garners from the other team.

I'm praying that Clark gets the gwg

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 28, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I hope Caps fans behind the Ranger bench wear some kind of rain gear and taunt the stuff out of those kitties from NY.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 28, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Auf gehts Washington!

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 28, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Katie:
Wow ... how much do I love Campbell's THN article?!? :-D Thank you SO much for sharing!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 28, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more with the Campbell article.

A little more than 11 hours to go.

Posted by: writered21 | April 28, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Very embarrassing--you there, in the Red! How could you possibly let Section 109 be louder than yours tonight? Look at that, seventeen lawyers in Ovechkin jerseys making a bigger racket than you are. Makes you wanna HOLLER, don't it?
Gooood.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 28, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"I guess I'm wrong on the pre game hit. It was Orr at Center Ice and he wasn't taunting anybody. He was just standing there at Center Ice with his big @ss hangin over center ice and Brash approached him."

If Brashear would have gotten a suspension for this warm up confrontation no matter what else happened in the game, I think at this point I would definitely have been okay with that. Sure, he was sending a message to Colton Orr and the rest of the Rangers who were taking cheap liberties at our team in the third period of game 5. I like that he sent this message early on..especially since he did not really do much than just a little shove (if it got out of hand in the pregame, then perhaps thats just another story).

Though I do think 6 games is a bit long, I just cannot bring myself to feel that Brash does not really deserve that either. I mean, sure its inconsistent to how this series has been called, but I think he really crossed the line...he was definitely head hunting IMO. You could see it in his eyes, after he could not get Voros....it looked like he was going to go back to his bench until he spotted an unsuspecting player...and then with no real momentum, he went after the guy. I mean, we see Ovi and other players do this all the time, head hunt....but its usually when they are in the middle of something, with momentum...not when they are completely out of the play and then just get the next person they see....

I don't know, the thing is, when I watch Caps games, I always would love to give our boys the benefit of the doubt. I really like every single guy on the team....but I still try to be a little more objective on these matters. As soon as I saw that hit, I knew it was viscous, headhunting...and I feel so bad about the injury to Betts (which, is a combination of his own bad positioning as well as that hit). I would never wish that upon any player, and I just hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

So, as harsh as the suspension feels, I think Brash got what he deserved...now I just hope the Caps get what they deserve...A victory tonight, after being the dominant team this whole series who had the heart and the spark to come back from down 3-1.

GO CAPS!

(and again, sorry for the length...just needed to get that off my chest) :)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 28, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I have to say I love that Picture. The king is bent over crying like the rest of his team.. Classic!

Lets Go CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | April 28, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

The Rangers: A State of Mind

State Bird: The Albatross, including, but not limited to, several variants: The Tortorella, The Sather, The Avery and The Zherdev

State Song: "She Cried", by Jay & The Americans

State Flower: Skunk Cabbage

State Motto: "Stinkumweus"

Posted by: NorthFork1 | April 28, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Capitals FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 555Mass | April 28, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VARLY! after you win tonight go out and "party likes its 1999"!

You mean when he turned 11? ;-)

Granted, I suspect Russia is like much of Europe in that you're allowed to drink as soon as you're old enough to reach up to the bar. He'll be downing some voddy tonight regardless though, for sure. Let's just hope it's celebratory and not the numb-the-pain variety.

Keys to tonight:

- Don't underestimate them. They know Henrik's high glove-side weak spot. They know how to play solid D. They know how to crash the net. Not taking them seriously and getting flashy, loose, and caught off-guard in the offensive zone is the one and only thing that can really do us in at this point.

- No, really - Don't underestimate them. Can't be said enough. It's a one-and-done, and it only takes a couple of screw-ups to blow the whole night.

- Stay out of the $#!@ing box. There will be bad calls from the officials - that's just a given. The Caps can significantly improve their chances by limiting the legitimate penalties, though. Remember Erskine and Varley grinning at Avery instead of retaliating? Yeah, we need more of that.

- 60 minutes. The celebration can wait, lest it turn into something less. Don't let up 'till the final horn blows.

- Varley. Birthday boy just needs to keep doing what he does best.

Found out last night that a buddy of mine has an extra ticket for me. 8 hours of work cannot pass quickly enough!! GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

From Torts on "Pressure".

"Hank's got to play better and he knows that," said Tortorella. "For us to have an opportunity, he has to be really good.

"Early in the series, he was really good and that's why we have the opportunity to play a Game 7 because we won some of those early games. It's been a little bit of a fight for him here, but I don't have to say one word to him. He gets it and that's what I like about him. I know the fight that he has in him."

_____________

yeah.....that's what we call pressure, you stupid coach. You are such and idiot. King Henrik stands on his head in the early games (when there is NOT as much pressure) and then when it starts to get hot in the kitchen, he crawls in the fridge and cools off.

Who do you think has handled the pressure better?????

LETs GO CAPS!! I'm sick of these Rangers pests. Send em the hell home !!

Posted by: jarresm | April 28, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see no one individual stand out, just a lot of great performances by a bunch of players. Flash & Fehr, you are allowed to have great games tonight too.

We had 21 and 22 shots in our last two wins, an average of about 14 fewer shots than our previous 4 games. We played a Team game in both, won the individual battles, and knocked them out of position as a result. We stood our ground on D, gave 'em traffic in front of their net, and played with toughness.

We know what we have to do. Can't wait to get there!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm no fan of Brashear BUT he did not deserve that suspension.

The NHL has managed to reduce itself to playing politics at every turn, no longer will men decide the outcome.

Tortorella made one of the biggest mistakes in post season coaching history for game 5, by scratching Avery.

Never EVER tinker with a winning combo.

The water bottle thing was poetic.

Posted by: Cheef | April 28, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Role call for tonight's game:

Section 433 reporting for duty.

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 28, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:

1. Would be awesume to see Donald in the first row right behind the Rangers bench...will never happen but would be comical.

2. Fehr and Flash are due/ way overdue

3. Pothier has been as steady as the come.

4. I lead tonight would be hugh....two goals up and the Rangers get chippy.

5. We learned from last season comming back from 1-3 down and not comming thru, and this isnt a team that is as good as last years flyer team.

6. Rock the Red.....as Ted says and be loud and proud.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 28, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Cheef, blame Torts for a lot of things but not suspending Avery! Besides the fact that he deserved it, how could a coach possibly allow him to play after his actions and not lose the respect of his team? I guarantee you he was smart enough to know Avery was a cancer for his team for 2 straight games, but he publicly went to bat for him anyway. Avery spit it right back in his face. That was as warranted as a suspension gets

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I'll be rocking the... white! But only because it's my Clark jersey and I want to support alumni if he plays!

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know when the 2nd round begins? Is it Thursday or Friday?

Posted by: capsfan5252 | April 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Role call for tonight's game:

Section 433 reporting for duty.

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 28, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

117 ready to rock the red

Come on 7pm....10 hours and counting...

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: caps28fan | April 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Scratching Avery looked kinda shrewd Friday eve, until about 12 minutes into the 1st (Bradley's second goal), and he had little to throw back at the Caps.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Sec. 105...

Here!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh...how has the ice been at home? Have not heard any comments about the ice or the temperture in the building.....Hope the ice condition is more favorable than last years game seven.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 28, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

capsfan5252 -- screw the second round. We have a job to do tonight!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Eastern PA Caps fans -- at home with TV. Wish I could be there!!! Blow the roof off the sucka Caps fans!!!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 28, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Would be funny to see the first couple of rows behind the Rangers' bench wear raincoats or ponchos tonight in case of any flying water.

Posted by: villaal | April 28, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been addressed, but can Brashear (players union) appeal his suspension and can he still play while the appeal is pending? I'm pretty sure that's how it is in MLB/NFL/NBA, but not sure about the NHL. Google search didn't turn up too much.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 28, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

409 - Loud and proud.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I would think if an appeal was possible it would've been done. The Caps have been preparing to play w/o Brash since game 6 ended

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Is it 7pm yet?!!

Posted by: 104_CapsFan | April 28, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The Brashear suspension is history. Leave it there.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

400 and 413 - ready. Strange, eh?

Posted by: saintex | April 28, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

One more game. Get the fourth.

Posted by: saintex | April 28, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

426 here.

The day is dragging..

Posted by: Steve_R | April 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"They're a good team," added Lundqvist. "They're not that good, though.

Someone needs to post this comment in big print on the wall of the Caps locker room.

Posted by: CapManJ | April 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

CapManJ I thought exactly the same as you, but Ovie kinda cancelled that out when he said something along the lines of "Henrik can't be a god all the time, they have to play better in front of him." Have to admit I cringed a little bit on that one.

They don't need that bulletin board stuff anyway. It's game 7. Just think about how bad it hurt last year and let that be your drive.

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"They're a good team," added Lundqvist. "They're not that good, though..."

Really, Henrik? A team that has shut you out 4-0 twice? A team that has fought back from being down 3-1 is, "...not that good, though..."

Interesting.

I'm sure the Caps will be more than happy to show Henrik just how good they really are.

Posted by: Brobertson26 | April 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Let me re-phrase, can (insert any players name here) still play while their appeal is pending?

Posted by: Fro_ | April 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned another site for watching the games online besides hockeystreams.com Anyone know what that was?

Posted by: cappies | April 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

109: I can't wait to hear you there.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

405...here

Posted by: _stevo | April 28, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fro_ | April 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I have never heard of this being done in as long as I've been watching NHL hockey (15+ years), so I'm inclined to say "no."

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Great reading list today Katie! I'm going to be antsy all day!
Glad Kronwall will have a quick recovery.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | April 28, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

214 here... can't wait to unleash the fury!

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Give it to Henrik, he supports his team. Whats he going to say?? Any given night...this is a series that Caps have dominated on ice , on paper, just not on the scoreboard. We need to keep our shot totals down and take those high percentage sweeties and make 'em count. "Hank" I think thrives on more shots, with every save that net gets smaller and smaller. Caps 4-0'd 'em twice...they should know!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Not much else to talk about on this game, just biding time till face-off. The Caps know the Rags' game, they know the Caps game, the whole world knows the Caps are a better team, and the whole world also knows they have an irritating tendency to read their own press clippings and get cute. If the cute Caps show up, it's gonna be a long summer. If the focused Caps show up, Torts can hit the links and get out of our lives. Short of Henrik standing on his head beyond anything he's done so far, the Rags really don't have a lot of say in things.

I can't believe I have class tonight, that means I have to DVR it and stew for an extra 4 hours. #*%^#)@!!!!

LETS GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

5) Drury is a dud captain and does nothing for this team.

Lets go get whats ours...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't go so far as to say Drury is a dud. It is well known that your Captain is your leader, not necessarily your best player. Someone like Drury would fit in nicely with the Caps as a 3rd line guy. He and Gomez are not, and have never been the headline, first line, goal scoring machines. New York was blind sided by Jagr's departure and have been left with role players and 70 pt guys (20 goal guys) as their offense.

That is why our Caps should win tonight too. Our boys are hungry as heck after last year's game 7 and they will not take anything for granted. They are going to play full throttle and put their foot on the proverbial throat of the Rangers until BB says ease up. Go ahead boys, you've reeled the series back in, let's bag this one, and don't let them hang around and feel like they have a chance.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I like Wise's observation; Remember Game 7 last year. Work like hell, all game, for redemption.

I know I will!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I will be thrilled if we see Aucoin tonight. Love watchin the guy. I think his spark could put points on the board for Flash or Fehr

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

...It is well known that your Captain is your leader, not necessarily your best player...

Posted by: fanohock1

Which is exactly why, as much as I like Aucoin, Clark's gotta be in there. There's a reason his teammates voted him captain

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Section 430 here!!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

No appeals, decisions are final on suspensions

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

JS etc. -- yes, but we really don't know Clark's condition, only Bruce's and Clarkie's possible obfuscation regarding Clark possibly playing.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Who should I call about bringing a sombrero-wearing pig into the Rangers locker room today, just before game time?

Posted by: bucknelldad | April 28, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

No appeal necessary. I know that Brash would love to be able to suit up but the boys can roll. If they come out and play hard tonight and win to advance they would play the Devils or Pens. Neither is a series in which Brash would really be needed as an enforcer because neither team has one. Let's take of business tonight, sorry Brash, but you're suspension is a little distraction that needs to be set aside. Would be cool to see Clark get a shot and it he's not game ready his minutes will be minimal.

I know there are a lot of Nylander bashers out there but it's crazy to think that we have so many skilled players that we've had the luxury of pushing Nyls to the 3rd line all season. He had a very small window open with time on the 1st line (I think it was more of an attempt to showcase him and if he shined he could be traded) but otherwise he's been on the 3rd and 4th lines. Not sure if bringing him back would be the right thing or not. Clark is probably better suited to fill the 4th line checking role that Brash had. I could see Nyls surfacing again if we advance though.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it could well be that Clark's really not ready. Coaches aren't exactly forthcoming in the playoffs about lineups. Maybe he'll have the Rags prepared for Clark and then Aucoin skates out at the last minute. If that's the case, cool. I still like Aucoin. But if they're being truthful about Clark's readiness, he should still be the guy.

If he's healed, I wouldn't worry about conditioning too much. If he dresses, they won't be asking more than a few minutes of ice time to make a presence

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@cappies

I think it was called Justin.tv or something of that nature.

Posted by: Kevin9149 | April 28, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I thought we were stuck with Nyls again next year cause of his contract, like it or not. As soon as that puppy is over, he's gone. But that's for another day. It's bad mojo right now to talk about next year.

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@JS

NO, it's bad mojo to be talking about round 2.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

104...8 1/2 hours to go..I cant wait

Posted by: SovietSnipes | April 28, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

both

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 28, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

fanohock, i agree with you on everything except that the Rangers weren't shocked by Jagr's departure, they chose not to resign him. He wanted to come back. The team decided to go in a different direction (incorrectly) assuming that the rest of the team could pick up the offensive slack left behind by Jagr, Straka and Shanahan.

I also think Drury is a second line guy, not a third line. His contributions are not just what you see on the stat sheet, he's a blood and guts guy who plays on all special teams. I don't think its fair to say he's a "dud" since he's most likely playing with a fractured hand this series and has still managed to be somewhat effective. Those are the kinds of things you want from your captain.

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree with The_Stanley_Caps about Brash. Though I wish Avery had been disciplined the same way, I can't feel sorry for him for this kind of behavior. He is hard-working and a real team player, but I just don't like this kind of bullying on the ice. I don't know the statistics (it would be interesting to know) but it seems to me the majority of time this kind of intimidation results in stupid penalties and hurt the team.

Tonight's game is building up into an epic battle between good and evil, deserving and undeserving. I wonder if this creates pressure on the Caps. I wish Tarik would give us a report on their state of mind. I hope they are neither nervous nor complacent.

My hunch is that they are so motivated to win, after last year, that unless the Rangers are armed and backed by the National Guard, nothing could hold the Caps back. But one never knows. How critical is Varly's role tonight. I know the Rangers don't think he has been tested enough and they will make him their number 1 target.

Posted by: caraveli | April 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

PRACTICE UPDATE:

I have sources at practice saying that Bruce Boudreau is not running practice today.

He is a genius...He is sending a message, that this is your game..not mine..we have worked hard all year, and nothing Im gonna do is gonna send you to the 2nd round...

Im guess he has a speech planned, and will address the team right before the game...

I love it!

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

a battle of good and evil, lol

yes, the rangers are going to use the dark side of the force tonight to look for a win

the history of the world and the jedis hangs in the balance

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If Aucoin were coming up it would have gone across the transaction wire by now because they'd want him here for the morning skate. It's gonna be Clark or Nylander (god forbid).

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Section 105, Row J...Here!

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 28, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Lets do this for Brash!
& the Hershey Bears!
For God & DC!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 28, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

SA,

If that turns out to be true, that's absolutely awesome.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Central PA will be rockin' the red tonight and cheering so loud you'll hear us all the way down there in DC.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 28, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt Nyles gets the call -- he is not one of BB's guys. Clark fits BB's system much better -- crash the net with authority, forecheck like a demon, backcheck like your kid's life depends on a stick-lift, stuff in a garbage goal, play team-first and inspire your teammates with your play, and press the action to the other teams zone. Nyles' instincts are not those, oh Clark and Brash are both RW's, whereas Nyles is a center.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

tortarella: no pressure to win game 7? It's all on the caps? ok.

It must be an eclipse because cheef showed up and posted positive thoughts. I'll take it. Caps fans uniting bodes well. ;)
( we'll see tonight if benching Avery was a bad move, he was a shadow in game 6 but maybe the leash comes off tonight; I agree with the winning line up comment though.)

I can't wait. I'll be there, biting my nails and pulling my hair. I haven't been to a game 7 since we bounced Philly all those years ago.

I believe.

Posted by: oo7 | April 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

They could always play Erskine on the 4th line and plug in Schultz. ;^) Remember when Boudreau threw out Erskine as a 4th line possibility a month or so ago?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Checking in from Section 105 tonight, and will be rocking the RED! I absolutely refuse to believe that I will have to suffer through what I did, in my same seat, in game 7 last year. IT JUST WILL NOT HAPPEN - the Caps will prevail!!! Let's all remember what they've done to battle back when everyone (including me) thought they were done when it was 3-1.

Regarding Drury as a 'dud' captain - if you follow the Rags blogs during the year (as I did as a Devils fan) the fans are very unhappy with him because he shows no passion in his leadership (and he doesn't cry like Messier.) They have felt that his low key attitude, combined with former coach Renney's calm temperment, has hurt the Rags - and Torts is certainly the direct opposite of Renney in temperment.

But who cares - all I want is for the time to get to 7:00 and Go Caps!!!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 28, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Anybody not going to the game on these posts, join me at Bungalow Billiards in Chantilly VA tonight for game 7. Get there early and wear RED, mandatory, not really. If you are outside the beltway in VA join the Bungalow Crazies. Section 8 (for ovie). Comon out!!!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@ ccCapsfan -- BB could also put OV in goal -- he has stopped a few ;)

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 28, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Section 8!!!!!!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

devilscapsgirl

first of all, how do you root for 2 teams?

Second, I know what some rangers fans think, but that doesn't mean i have to feel the same way. Drury has been a winner at every stage of his career

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Section 412 checking in. LET'S DO THIS THING.

Posted by: EddieP1 | April 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

so anyone planning on watching the Devils-Canes game tonight -- shnoegans

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 28, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

ModestP -- I had wondered about the transaction wire and Aucoin; thanks for adding that.

MReilly, I'm 2 rows in front of you.

I agree that this is the wrong game to bring Nyles in; I could see it after, if they manage to win tonight, but if there's no Aucoin I wanna see Clark tonight dressed and ready to go. Something else to rally around.

I know Clark looked weak before he took leave, but we really don't know what he can do with a healthy wrist. He was playing hurt for quite some time.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

good vs evil? come on man, it's the rangers, not the broad street bullies. Naslund, gomez and drury aren't evil. : )
Drury isn't a dud of a captain, either. The Caps are lucky he's not a hundred %.
It's not over yet. Not at all. Luck plays a big part in these things too. The Caps just need to focus on doing things the way they did in 5 & 6.
60 full minutes of 110%. No letting up in the third. They haven't won anything yet.

I still believe.

Posted by: oo7 | April 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@JK111: They chose not to resign him because it was coming down to crunch time last summer and he wouldn't take the 1 year offer. They signed Naslund because they got tired of waiting. So I guess they weren't blind sided, but I am sure they were surprised by his lack of loyalty.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal -- that's you, me, and MReilly in 105. What row?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The boys will be unbelievable fired up and focused because the "gut punch" that we felt as fans last year was nothing compared to the one the players felt, I guarantee it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@Sonyask:

I'm in row C - I love my seats! Have had them for years and want to continue watching hockey this year for many more games!!!!!

What row are you in?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

if the Rangers wanted Jagr back, he would have been back, you don't make a one year offer to your captain and star player if you sincerely want him back. That was a face saving move by the franchise

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal -- This is my 10th year in Row H

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Section 100- I'll be there in spirit as other family members are getting to use the tickets (Caps fans, don't worry!) Will be LOUD AND PROUD in NYC!!! LETS GO CAPS!!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Sonyask: Let's try to say hello before the puck drops tonight - I usually get there early to watch warmups. I'll be in a red Ovechkin jersey (like half the crowd)!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 28, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse