Morning Reading List: No Winter Classic for Caps?

First, GM George McPhee said he didn't think the Capitals would play in the Winter Classic because he hadn't heard anything and "you think we would know by this point."

And now it seems even less likely, with reports from all over the place that it'll be the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers facing off at Fenway Park on Jan. 1.

A few other odds and ends this morning:

* Tarik talked NHL draft on Washington Post Live yesterday with a tie-less Ivan Carter.

* In case you missed it, Bruce Boudreau will play in the Pro-Am for Tiger Woods's AT&T National. (By the way, got a question for Tiger? (Like, "Why don't you like hockey?") Sent 'em to asktiger@wpost.com and we'll share his answers on July 1.

* TSN.ca breaks down some of the most memorable NHL draft moments. Here's one you may enjoy:

- 2006: Alexander The Great makes the call -
The Capitals had the fourth overall pick in what was a deep draft class. The St Louis Blues (21-46-7-8, 57 points) took Erik Johnson (USA Under-18) with the top selection, the Penguins took Staal (Peterborough Petes) at two and the Blackhawks used the third pick on Jonathan Toews (University of North Dakota).
With a standing ovation from the fans at Vancouver's GM Place, the Caps let Calder Trophy winner Alexander Ovechkin go to the podium to announce the club was taking Sweden's Nicklas Backstrom (Brynas IF Gavle). The addition of the talented centre has helped make Washington a force in the Eastern Conference and Backstrom has averaged almost a point a game over his first two seasons (164 GP, 157 points).

* Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull and Steve Yzerman earned nods into the NHL Hall of Fame yesterday. ESPN's E.J. Hradek breaks down the new class:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 24, 2009; 10:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Previewing the Draft
Next: McPhee: Caps Will 'Come Up With a Good Player'

Comments

From last post...

I'll have to try this again. I had an EBKS.

Draft picks.

If he's available, I like what I'm reading about Kyle Palmieri. I could be biased in that I went to school 100 yrs ago with his dad (or uncle). Seems to play hard and is a leader in the locker room.

Another is Calvin De Haan. He's a D-man with a boatload of points (assists) which means he's not afraid to shoot, and that the pucks get to the net. Also Central Scouting sez, "His skating is excellent, mobility, agility and speed. His biggest asset is his hockey sense. He makes very few mistakes."

Posted by: Greg S. | June 24, 2009 11:08 AM |

Posted by: Greg S. | June 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Just when I thought my Flyers hate was eclipsed forever by the Pens, this happens. Even if you look at it objectively, the Flyers are *boring*. If it can't be the Caps, it should at least be a team that has a bankable star or an interesting (currently!) story. The Flyers don't have anything to bring to the table other than a few thousand more viewers.

Posted by: amberlynne | June 24, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Why all the angst over the "winter classic"? It is a farce and a gimmick. It makes the NHL look like a minor league. Just as well the Caps aren't associated with it.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 24, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Tarik
Please keep us informed about hockey news over at WPL! Since Ivan took over, hockey is treated like a foreign sport & is constantly compared to the NBA. Someone should take Ivan on a tour of all of our rinks in the area!
The Caps being in the winter classic would be more trouble than it's worth. I hope it's a bad weather day with rough ice, for them flyers! hehehehe

Posted by: Max231 | June 24, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Thank Goodness!!!! The traditional Caps home game new years has been a tradition for me going way back to when they used to hand out hockey sticks. Too bad they don't do it anymore, but I'm happy I will be spending my New Years day back in the phone booth

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | June 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsdude:
Dude, don't knock it til you've tried it.

Posted by: Boo- | June 24, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Really, only 6 comments for today (this is the 7th). Man the blog really is dead, must be the offseason.

Posted by: superpaqman | June 24, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

We easily got the best of that draft. Backstrom is the only one who's played all 164 regular season games and the only one to score over 70 pts in a season. Johnson missed all of last season due to injury.

Posted by: nowanna1 | June 24, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Who could we trade to move up in the draft?

Posted by: thiazzi | June 24, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow. So NBC gets to decide who plays hockey, huh? And in their infinate wisdom they decided that Ovechkin won't draw more than the Flyers? Uhm, yeah, right.
Bettman is just NBC's little bich.

Posted by: oo7 | June 24, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

My question is why should we even care? It's just one less chance to have people get sick or get groin pulls because the ice will suck.

NBC commands what the NHL does now with the new TV deal. Bettman has been trying to play make up for the past couple of years. Now that hockey is blossoming again they are interested, but only when it makes them money. Plain and simple. Philly still has a larger TV market, for hockey, than DC does.....for now.

Think of it as the same reason why Ted or GMGM doesn't really want us to go to Europe yet for season openers. We're not yet past that tipping point, unlike most of our media outlets perceive us to be. We're approaching it, but it won't be until we get to a cup or win a cup with Alex that the Capitals can be marketed the same as teams that have won one or are bigger hockey markets. It's only about the money, get over it. The only reason I would watch would be if Emery, by the time this game happens, is already being run out of town and then I can only hope for a fight between him and Timmy Thomas.

Posted by: caps28fan | June 24, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Philly still has a larger TV market, for hockey, than DC does.....for now.

Posted by: caps28fan | June 24, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I would argue that the Caps are one of the few teams that would have a large audience abroad with all the foreign stars on the team. But it doesn't matter to me either way if they play in the Winter Classic or not.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 24, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

caps28fan:
I don't think that's why they don't want to go to Europe for a season opener - if memory serves, they didn't want to wear the guys out with all of that travel, etc.. Say what you want, I still think it's a crying shame. The WC will have a huge draw just because it is the WC (regardless of who is playing) ... and I can't think of a better stage to showcase Ovi (well, except for the one that really matters).

Posted by: Boo- | June 24, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

without a doubt we would draw huge in the overseas games, can't disagree with that point at all.

true there was mention about travel as well. Mainly remembering what Ted had said in a phone call on XM while I was driving home one day last fall.

Onward to the draft....
Can't wait to see what GMGM pulls off this year.

Posted by: caps28fan | June 24, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

This is very disappointing. I'd much prefer to see Caps-Bruins on New Years day than Flyers-Bruins.

I agree that there'd probably be a larger TV audience for the Flyers, but still ... this is a golden opportunity for the Caps to get some traction nationally and to showcase their stars.

Money drives everything, I guess. Dammit.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 24, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

amberlynne -

The Flyers are boring? Richards Carter Giroux maybe JVR? Are you kidding?

oo7 -

On New Years Day, they aren't going to get casual sports fans to tune in when they could be watching football or partying or whatever. They're only going to get hardcore fans, and in that department the Flyers have somewhere between 3 and 5 times as many as the Caps. Ovie is only one player.

Posted by: unstablefan | June 25, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse