Morning Reading List: Nylander on the Move?

Before we get to last night's game, most of you have seen the recent rumors floating out of Canada about a possible standing deal that the Capitals have to send veteran center Michael Nylander to Chicago.

Last night forward Dustin Byfuglien and veteran defenseman Brent Sopel, the two players most often believed to be the other part of the deal, were surprise scratches for the Blackhawks game. Their absence last night, has folks in Chicago strongly believing that the deal will happen.

Recently Tarik's sources have said that there are several teams interested in acquiring Nylander, led by the Blackhawks. No deal had been struck as of last night though, when Tarik saw Nylander walk out of the Staples Center toward the team bus with Nicklas Backstrom. We'll keep you posted on any developments as they happen.

*On to last night's game. As anyone who watched the Capitals game last night against the Kings knows, the first period may have been one of if not the worst period of hockey Washington has played all season. The Caps were out shot 12-3 and looked the complete opposite of the high-energy team that beat gritty Anaheim the night before in a 5-2 loss to the Kings. Los Angeles appeared to play with more emotion and seemed to catch the Capitals off guard with it, especially in the first 20 minutes.

*For the first time in seven games, the Caps offense didn't record more than three goals. But Washington did receive some good news. An MRI on Defenseman Mike Green's shoulder came back negative yesterday and Coach Bruce Boudreau hopes he will only miss a week.

*Here's a look at the Kings' side of last night's game. From the Los Angeles Times: Kings take a big step forward.

*This was included in the notes on the game story, but in case you missed it yesterday the NHLPA filed a grievance against the Capitals because the team has denied players association representatives access to the dressing rooms in Verizon Center.

*ESPN's Scott Burnside has his team-by-team quarterly reports up. Along with the team reports here are ESPN's awards projections through the early part of the season and Terry Frei's coaches' grades.

*For those of you who didn't stay up to watch the game last night, here are the highlights.

*In addition to highlights of yesterday's game (of if you just didn't want to watch those clips again) here's one of the newest video features from the Caps on their road roommates. It's pretty entertaining.

In the system:
*Hershey's rookie line of Oskar Osala, Mathieu Perreault and Francois Bouchard has combined for a staggering 21 goals and 43 points in the Bears first 18 games.

*Jay Beagle has been ruled out for the Bears' pair of games this weekend against Philadelphia and Bridgeport because of lingering effects of a concussion. Beagle hasn't played since Nov. 8. Here's your Hershey injury update and probable lineups for the weekend.

*Team OHL defeated the Russian All-Stars 6-3 yesterday and the next installment of the ADT Challenge will take place on Monday in St. Catharines, where Caps prospect Stefan Della Rovere will play on the OHL's team. Della Rovere's Barrie Colts haven't had much luck away from home, as a Wednesday loss to Peterborough dropped them to 3-8-0-1 on the road.

*London Knights General Manager Mark Hunter has apparently discussed a trade for Oshawa's John Tavares -- the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NHL entry draft. So there's a chance we could see Tavares playing alongside recently signed John Carlson.

By Katie Carrera  |  November 21, 2008; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kings Cruise, 5-2
Next: Green Feeling 'A Lot Better'

Comments

Guten morgan.

Posted by: Section117 | November 21, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the list Katie.

Posted by: Semvechkin | November 21, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Guten Morgen, 117 - wie geht's?

Posted by: Boo- | November 21, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Warum sprachen Sie Deutsch?

Posted by: HeldenCaps | November 21, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Oop, sorry. I rescind my thanks from last thread. "Continue Reading.." is still being used.

C'mon guys!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Helden:
Warum nicht?!? :-)

DP:
Ya know, I've never seen the "Continue Reading" ... I must be the only one!

Katie:
As always, thanks for all of the reading. Glad to see BB is "proven" and that Semin and Ovie both make the player lists (although I am surprised they are not higher ...).

Posted by: Boo- | November 21, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I wish this Nylander stuff would just happen already if it's going to go down. The suspense is killing me.

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Boo, you only see the "continue reading" if you're looking at a blog's main page. When you go directly to an entry, you won't see it.

Posted by: koalatek | November 21, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I seriously hope we do not end up with Sopel. I can't see him working into our system and he doesn't bring anything that we dont already have.

Posted by: pch49 | November 21, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner

I know! I think they did extend the amount of txt before the button... but it's not enough!

Oh well...

Posted by: mauree | November 21, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Continue button detractors: Just follow the updates with RSS!

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Honestly...I'd rather get draft picks and Cap Space back for Nylander if we do end up trading him.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

koalatek:
Ah! That explains it, since I always go directly to the entry!! :-)

Just watched the roommates video - pretty funny. Best line was from Fehr, "The best roommate is Schultzie cuz I haven't heard him say two words all year." Schultz = Mr. Entertainment.

Posted by: Boo- | November 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I certainly hope part of the deal includes moving Jurcina. Trading Nylander for Byfuglien and Sopel puts us in $500K worse shape relative the cap.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Predictions on the 3rd team involved in the potential Nylander deal?

If the rumors are true in that it's Byfuglien (3 mil/year) and Sopel (2.something mil/year), then there has to be a 3rd team involved to take [Sopel] in the deal, because that's some 1 mil too expensive for the Caps.

Barker (2.7 mil) is also in the mix, but I think Chicago's going to hold onto him tight.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

are the rumors, nylander for both Sopel and Byuflien (however you spell it)? or for just one of the two?

Posted by: _stevo | November 21, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Sombrero on this one. I just want the cap space for bringing Hershey guys up.

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero: Yes, cap space and picks. Then we could elevate Alzner. Although, I admit, I know very little on those two players. Is Sopel the SaH we need?

The other side is Chicago is capped out and they can only take Nylander if they move equal money. It's getting like the NBA now where the trades have to match the cap.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 21, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

pch49, your fears are justified, but I think Sopel would bring a few things to the Capitals.

For one, he would bring salary cap space. Not only would that allow McPhee to move up Alzner if necessary, it would also create more room to take on a bigger contract at the trade deadline.

He would also bring flexibility on the blueline. Right now, the blueline is six deep. Sloan is a decent fix, but not a good long term plan. Feds is needed as a center. They've toyed with this for too long, and it's time to bring in some depth.

Finally, Sopel's arrival would mean that Alzner would likely stay in Hershey at least a little longer. As excited as I am to see him, I love the idea of more seasoning. Bring him up 'cause he's ready, not because we need him.

Of course, you could replace Sopel's name with any number of competent defensemen in the league, so this is less an argument for him and more an argument for the situation.

And again, I love Nylander, and I wouldn't mind him staying.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 21, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you SombreroGuy. IF we trade Nylander, give us picks. Deal with your cap situation with another team, not ours. We need the cap room to be able to move players between Hershey and DC.

Please note the big little word "IF" above. I'd rather keep him on our team.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

This is what gets me about this trade (IF it happens).

The Caps have 2 things in abundance. First is depth in Center. Nylander is a center. He's "expendable" at least on paper.

Second is the LACK of cap space. Like I said yesterday, we can't bring up a squirrel from Hershey with our lack of cap room.

So where does this make sense?

"Nylander, 36, played for the Hawks from 1999 to 2002. He'll earn $4.875 million for the next three seasons. Byfuglien is signed for two more seasons at $3 million per year, and Sopel has two years left on a contract that pays $2.5 million per season."

We give up 4.875 and pick up 5.5?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't put too much stock in these rumors. When is the last time GMGM actually ended up doing something that everyone saw coming? I wouldn't be surprised if he is shopping Nylander, but I'm not getting too focused on Chicago. I Nylander moves, it will likely be something most of us didn't expect.

Posted by: cassini | November 21, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Nylander's getting traded? I hadn't heard.

Holla to my fellow Deutschlanders.

Posted by: Section117 | November 21, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I would hate to see Nylander go....again, but Sopel and Byfuglin would be nice additions to the Capitals. Sopel is a sound, stay at home defenseman if memory serves me correct and Byfuglin is a gritty winger that can score goals and mix it up from time to time. I watched a good portion of the game last night and hardly heard Nylander's name mentioned. I know it's tough to find him time on the ice with our young guns stepping up, kicking butt and taking names on all of their opponents thus far (except last night in LA). I think in the grand scheme of things that if Nylander is moved it will not be as big of a blow to the Caps compared to someone like Federov or Kozlov being moved. Nylander has done a great job grooming Backstrom, but I think Backstrom has finally found his stride and doesn't need the additional help from Nylander that he needed during his rookie year.

Posted by: mlewis31 | November 21, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Byfuglin plays wing now, but I believe he is a natural defenseman

Posted by: _stevo | November 21, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Which is why I'm not putting stock in the rumors. They just don't make sense - not as they're presented. If a 3rd team is involved in the trade I could see it. Possibly.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

mlewis31:
I agree! I think Sopel would be a GREAT addition. Heck, I'd consider a great stay at home, strong, reliable, veteran d-man, and fellow Calgarian (Mikey Green) straight across for Nylander! Free up a bunch of Cap space get the D-man we need and everyone's happy. Get it done! Maybe we grab a draft pick in there as well?

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 21, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Nylander and Clark are both gone? Maybe thats what we are missing with GMGM being so coy and thats why the Hawks still need to clear cap space by moving a goalie to make this deal happen. And they plan on just giving Ovie the C.

Posted by: ThePat | November 21, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Ultimately, I agree that I'd rather have Cap space and Hershey guys, but Chicago's not going to do that -- unless they've got someone to take on Byfuglien and Sopel.

I say that, assuming the trade happens at all, the Caps, fortunately or unfortunately (I think it'd be worth taking on 2.7 if Barker is actually available), end up with someone. As I just said, I'd rather have Barker than Byfuglien or Sopel, but there're heavy doubts there.

So who do the Caps end up with, realistically? Of Sopel and Byfuglien, I'd take Byfuglien and maybe even simply waive Sopel, or send him off to, I dunno, Tampa :-).

My overall prediction: Caps trade Nylander for Byfuglien and Sopel. Sopel immediately gets waived, and Caps trade Byfuglien to Phoenix for their 1st and 2nd rounders. Sloan stays up with the team indefinitely, and we make a move at the deadline to bring in a veteran S@H D.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Nylander + Jozy are a huge BUST and Clark is a disaster.

Congratulations Caps, you have a decent regular season team.
Post season ? Not so much, if at all.

Posted by: Cheef | November 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

First, I don't think they're trading Clark. Second, if they did, I don't think OVie would take the C. It'd go to someone like Laich.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

maybe the sexy lumberjack with the "C"? he wears it in my NHL 09 and caps are doing well

Posted by: _stevo | November 21, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

First, a confession. I'm actually originally a Kings fan, so its good to see that they aren't as bad as originally predicted. How 'bout that Doughty, eh? But, I must say when the first goal went in, my first reaction was as a Caps fan and said a word which won't be repeated on a family blog. Ah, conflicted loyalties.

Second, what an awful game. God the Caps looked terrible. Really, really terrible. Certainly part of that was the aggressive defensive scheme from LA, but it was about as sloppy and choppy game as I've seen in years.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 21, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

You know, I'm worried about what will happen to Sloan, much in the same way we were all worried about what would happen to Laing last season. I don't think he'd make it back through waivers, what with his general steadiness and his sometimes crushing checks.

If this deal goes through and we actually keep one of them, Sloan's relegated to the press box until injuries heal up, and then, you never know. All we can hope is that he plays his way into Jurcina's spot, because, frankly, Erskine, generally, has looked much better since his contract.

Maybe we can work in Jurcina into a deal. As much as he probably deserves to be demoted at the moment, they're not trading Clark. At least, that'd be on the bottom of my list of expectations.

But it is GMGM...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is losing respect faster than any star in the league with his antics.

He had better stop the stupid play, otherwise someone will hurt him.

Posted by: Cheef | November 21, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this rumor stuff fun? However I have to agree with many of the above posts. First, McPhee never tips his hand. Second, (as stated above) a deal for draft pix would not be doable for Chicago cause they are strapped. How about Nylander & Jurcina for Huet?
(That was a joke and a bad one...sort of)

Posted by: Roose | November 21, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Cheef loves to show up the day after a loss. Nowhere to be found during the win streak...Chump

Posted by: SA-Town | November 21, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

haha, the Caps lose a game and cheef makes an appearance.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

again, Biff and Sopel were scratched and Nylander was not. atypical.

Posted by: oo7 | November 21, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I just labeled the Caps as a "decent regular season team" so the "day after a loss" remark is stupid.
The chump remark is childish.

I'd also like to add. I TOLD YOU SO regarding Nylander, Jozy & Clark.
Have a nice day.

Posted by: Cheef | November 21, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Cheef is the Rush Limbaugh of hockey blogs.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 21, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Now what did Rush do to deserve that kind of insult?

Posted by: _Mark | November 21, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hasn't there been both a "Cheef" and a "Chief" on the newly-required-registration WaPo boards? I seem to remember seeing the original only a day or two ago...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm the original but the name was taken when I registered.

Posted by: Cheef | November 21, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@Cheef - It's not stupid, just an observation based on fact. You only bother to comment when the Caps lose or to drop a negative nugget of joy.

If taking credit for calling out a few under performing players after dumping on pretty much every player in the organization makes you feel good about yourself then have at it.

It's kind of like the guy who hits on every single girl in the bar, somehow manages to go home with the ugliest troll in the establishment, then brags about how much of a "player" he is.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

what are the cap ramifications if we get a bag of pucks for nylander? Will they take Clark for tape?

Posted by: wendel2 | November 21, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The Rumored 3rd teams are the Ranger and Canucks. Some rumor blogs reported Chicago scouts were at their recent game.

Posted by: HeldenCaps | November 21, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

These days, we might have trouble getting tape for Clark.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know who Cheef's team is, and what blog you post constructively on...so we can all dump negatives on it all day. Can you at least give us the opportunity to return the favor?

Posted by: SA-Town | November 21, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to say "I told you so" when you say EVERYONE is going to fail.

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is losing respect faster than any star in the league with his antics.

He had better stop the stupid play, otherwise someone will hurt him.

Posted by: Cheef | November 21, 2008 11:49 AM

that was a quick survey of the league chief. do you set up an internet poll for all the league players to respond to or perhaps you text message them all. you obviously know all the players in the league to be able to make such a statement. surely you wouldnt post something you didnt know was absolutely correct. and you are as regular as rain. caps lose, you post. caps win, somehow your computer (or the one at the public library) broke.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 21, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@HeldenCaps - source on the Rnagers and Canuck portion of the story?

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The Chicago rumor mill (http://www.thethirdmanin.com/2008.11.01_arch.html about 1/5th the way down the page.)has Huet being shipped to the AHL to free up cap space. It's posited as an alternative to trading anyone to get Nylander in.

Also in the same article is another interesting tidbit. Apparently Toronto has this kid they'd like to trade. The Hawks are saying look to them to get Jason Blake instead of Nylander. Or, to trade for Alexander Steen.

Blake puts up good numbers and plays r/lw. We could use a lw.

Steen is a young kid, put up decent numbers the past few seasons, but only 4 points so far this season.

Maybe a 3-way there is possible.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Caps used up all of their emotion on the first period of the Ducks game and had nothing left for the Kings. Embarassing loss, but the Kings shouldn't get too excited. When you add up the quality of our injured players and the lackluster effort, it's not surprising they would lose to a team they shouldn't.

Once again, Johnnie deserved a better team effort, and I hope he stays in goal for the Sharks. We can't afford to have to fight them goal for goal or fight back against four goals down, so Jose may not be the best option. Also, the Kings loss makes this win even more important.

Posted by: FedsFan | November 21, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | November 21, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Caps Fans check out http://capsstop.blogspot.com

Posted by: bagasome | November 21, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I can see why we're shopping Nylander, but I don't see why we need Sopel and Byfuglien. We have kids in Hershey who should be given a chance on D. Namely, Lepisto and Alzner.

If we were going to trade Nylander for a D I would hope to get someone better than Sopel in return. Regardless of what's going on with Nylander this year (we just don't have a spot for him basically) he's a bonafide #2 center. Trading a #2 center should bring in a top 2 D in my opinion.

Posted by: ranndino | November 21, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Or a LW with cap room to bring up a Hershey player...

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Steen and Blake are both wingers. I was pretty sure the Hawks are looking for a center

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Blackhawks game last year when Byfuglien got a hat trick while playing D. (mostly point shots on the PP).

He's a solidly built guy and I'd expect the caps to use him as D if he comes here.

I'm pretty sure his name is pronounced (Buff-lin)

Posted by: stormblue | November 21, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey bagasome,

Check out Japer's or Peerless

Posted by: Steve_R | November 21, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It's more fun to pronounce it:

By-floooo-gen

Posted by: Steve_R | November 21, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

ranndino:

That could go two ways, though.

If Nylander were playing like a bonafied #2, we'd all be crying foul over the thought of trading him.

Since we're not, and we've all, pretty much, come to accept the idea, I'd say that he's probably not a bonafied #2.

Therefore, we're trading a sorta #2 center. I don't see a top pairing D coming for him, but I also think, despite the slump, that Nylander-on-form is worth a top D. But I doubt it will happen.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I like Nylander but he just hasn't looked like he is a good fit for this team and system. It's pretty obvious with the move to a line with Brashear that Boudreau is not wild about how he's playing.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | November 21, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy

Chicago is looking for a center. I don't know why they brought it up except to look at options. I'm doing the same. It appears that Toronto is shopping them. So let's deal with Toronto directly. Or do a 3-way.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey bagasome,

Check out..... that's all, just check out.

It would be different if you actually added something to the discussion. In a way, you and Chafe are much alike. Adding nothing.

Posted by: _Mark | November 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Blake? No thanks.

With everyone pushed up against the Cap almost, its going to be tough to trade a guy like Nylander and not take salary back as well. That, of course, doesn't help Washington's salary cap issues. I don't see it happening.
Huet in the AHL, at 22.5 million? Unlikely. Who's the back up? He still gets paid NHL dollars; its not like he's on a two way.

Posted by: oo7 | November 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If we trade nylander, who will be the second line center next year? Sure we are playing okay with laich centering the second line but I don't think that is optimal. Laich is better on the wing (at least offensively).

Also, does anyone else think that Nyls is playing like he knows he will be leaving town soon? He doesn't play defense at all.

Posted by: kvarnson | November 21, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the Huet to AHL idea is that you recall him him later and other teams can get him off reentry waivers for half his salary or something.

I hate all this money crap.

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

So where exactly does Byfuglien fit it? I think he would be (or at least has the potential to be) an upgrade for us on D.

It's an important question because he's the guy we're really trading for. Sopel, according to most, is lumped on because Chicago doesn't have the cap space to do a 1 for 1, Byfuglien/Nylander trade. That's because of they have two high-priced goalies (both preferrable to Jose Three-or-more).

So -- where do we play Byfuglien?

Posted by: sinbin | November 21, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Only reason I posted that thing about Huet is I thought it was funny that Chicago was thinking of sending him down after all that money thrown at him.

Chances of Huet going down to the "A"? Slim to none.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Byfuglien and the sexy lumberjack as a pair on D would be awesome, they could lay the hammer down on anybody

Posted by: _stevo | November 21, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Number 1: I apologize for defending bagasome yesterday. I was not aware that he simply pasted in the same message over and over. Not acceptible, assbagome.

Number 2: Does anybody else share my feeling about Aaron Johnson being the best Blackhawk for us and Brent Sopel is NOT (simple comparison of +/- tells the story)?

Posted by: large23220 | November 21, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Byfloooogen and Feds play O and on emergency basis shift back for D. Lots of flexibility. Which wing is Byf playing?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 21, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I see the logic behind trading Nylander when Feds is still hurt. I agree that I don't think he's a great fit for us anymore, but trading him now would mean Stecks, Gordo, and Laich would be our other three centers. It's why we signed Nylander in the first place!

Posted by: Raber | November 21, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps are being forced to take Sopel as part of the trade, I would hope they'd get something better than just Byfuglien. I'd say the Caps should demand Cam Barker instead, but I don't think he makes enough money this year for it to work. Neither does Duncan Keith. Seabrook makes too much money to make things work, unless the Caps send a second player back the other way, at which point this speculation gets even more out-of-hand. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 21, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing.

And every time I see snow falling I think of the song "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire." Which in turn reminds me of an old Playboy comic of a guy and girl laying side-by-side in their birthday suits, feet to the fire, knees up. She's talking on the phone and says, "we're roasting chestnuts."

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve R.:
Byfuglien is a much-needed, semi-natural RW

Raber:
The Caps are basically already playing like they're without a #2 center. Trading him now or when Feds is back doesn't make much difference, I don't think.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The worst thing can happen now if we trade Nylander. That is the worst news you could post here. :( IMHO

Posted by: Piligvinn | November 21, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Another excellent must-read by the Daddy, this time on NHL vs. NBA attendance.

Posted by: Section117 | November 21, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Just curious. Classify the players playing the center position for the Caps. The best should be number 1. Remember it is just an opinion so lets keep it civil. Please try to base it on current and future performance.
I found it hard to do, but here is mine:
1. Backstrom
2. Nylander / Federov
4. Koslov / Laich
6. Steckel / Gordon.

I gave Backstrom the edge because of his youth and future. Nylander/Federov great players but at the end of their careers. Kozlov / Laich versatile players. Steckel/Gordon steady but more of a grinding line type of center.

Posted by: x1232 | November 21, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

on a side note , shouldn't Tarik be awake by now

Posted by: billd2 | November 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

1. Backstrom
2. Fedorov
3. Laich
4. Gordon
5. Steckel

I'm not considering Kozlov a C in this.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner, I was hoping to give you some relief about Sloan not needing to clear waivers, but he signed his first NHL deal with Columbus in 2000, so he would.

Just my two cents, but I really hope there's a third team IF the Nylander to CHI for Byfuglien and Sopel happens. A third team would probably be necessary too, considering the amount of contract money that would be coming our way. Not a fan of either of them anyways, or their stat lines.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

on a side note , shouldn't Tarik be awake by now

Posted by: billd2 | November 21, 2008 2:11 PM
-------------------------------------------
He could be travelling up to SJ.

Posted by: Section117 | November 21, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

1. Backstrom
2. Nylander
3. Federov
4. Kozlov and Laich (1&2 line backups)
5. Gordon (faceoffs)
6. Steckel (3rd line)

Posted by: opita | November 21, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm ahead of myself in my ranking, there.

Nylander is my #3 Center, moving everyone else down one spot.

@ jmu

yeah, I know. I read that this morning. but, like I said earlier, maybe he can (maybe he has) play his way into Jurcina's slot. I don't want to see Sloan waived.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the third team in the deal is Buffalo. Nyalnder to Chicago, Sopel and Byfuglien to Buffalo and Afinogenov coming back to the Caps. We get 1.5 million in salary cap space with that deal. Buffalo has cap space to take on both those players. Just a hunch with Maxim in the doghouse in Buffalo and being a healthy scratch tonight.

Posted by: ThePat | November 21, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting thought:

Montreal is going after Sundin -- maybe Montreal's in the mix with Chicago and Washington. Considering that Komisarek is out for another month (per TSN), it could be that they'd have interest in Byfuglien/Sopel for picks and/or cheap players.

Granted, there are only a few players that might be possible from Montreal (Latendresse tops my list as Tanguay, Koivu, and Price aren't possible), but that throws an interest wrench into the cogs, there.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 21, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

ThePat > I love Maxim, that would be a great trade for us to free up cap space too.

Posted by: cupcrzy | November 21, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Opita has it right. Laich and Kozlov can play center, but I think they both do better playing wing, especially the "in the trenches" wing.

I have a slight preference for Steckel based on his size and slightly better draw numbers last year, but so far Gordo's been better or they've been fungible. Having two centers who can take draws and get paid not a whole lot is a good thing.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 21, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

FYI, all teams do this, but Chicago is denying such a move.

Posted by: cupcrzy | November 21, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Caps seem to have bad games on back to back nights, but that shouldn't be the case cause they're so young! They have no energy the second night

Posted by: rachel216 | November 21, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I like that roommate video.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 21, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

A quick scan of the schedule in this young season show three bact to backs so far. Their record on the second night of those back to backs is 1-1-1. Win against the Blackhawks, SO loss to the Devils, loss to the Kings. I know the win-loss doesn't tell the whole story. Obviously could be better, but not a total disaster.

Posted by: _Mark | November 21, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Here is my take on the Nylander trade and why I think Buffalo is the third team:

Posted by: ThePat | November 21, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh ESPN.....

"So how do you see the race for individual supremacy, SportsNation? Will Crosby or Ovechkin take home the Hart? Or will a veteran like Martin Brodeur
make a stand for the elder statesmen? Rank the contenders!"

Why focus on Brodeur? Maybe Gonchar should win the Norris? Sundin, Jagr or Shanahan could be surprise Hart finalists....right ESPN?

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is losing respect faster than any star in the league with his antics.

He had better stop the stupid play, otherwise someone will hurt him.

Posted by: Cheef | November 21, 2008 11:49 AM

I usually keep my opinions to myself, but wow, what a dolt! Says who? you, the 'hockey expert'? post some proof behind a statement like that or else make sure you state that it's your personal opinion!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 21, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy >

ESPN's credibility in the hockey arena has gone from little to non existent.

*shakes head*

Nice find...

Posted by: cupcrzy | November 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is worthless when it comes to hockey. They are better off covering women's softball than the NHL.

Posted by: cbs75 | November 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, Brodeur? ESPN, unlike Tampa, is missing Melrose. ha.

; )

Waiting for trades is like waiting for xmas; its all about the anticipation, but then becomes about the disappointment when you find you didn't get what you wanted.

I was talking to someone randomly; they were wearing a caps shirt and we struck up a quick conversation. Said person brought up Ecklund as a source. I politely laughed.

Posted by: oo7 | November 21, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Does everyone have a Caps blog now? Yeesh. Next person to start one up better bring the funny because 17 variations of the same uninformed, poorly written crap isn't cutting it for me.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 21, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

According to SI.com:
"The decision by the Blackhawks to scratch Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Sopel on Thursday night in Dallas had the press box buzzing about an impending trade. Rumors have been swirling that the duo would be headed to Washington for Michael Nylander, the second line center the Hawks clearly covet. Chicago officials denied a deal was imminent after the game, but center Dave Bolland seemed to let something slip during a televised interview: 'We've bonded a lot and played great together. It's so sad to see Buff...'

"At that point, he was cut off by Hawks broadcaster Ed Olczyk. There are always rumors floating around, but this one bears watching more than most."

Hopefully something happens in the next few days and we have enough cap room to call up Alzner from Hershey.

Posted by: jsaltman | November 21, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

If we get one of the two players mentioned (Buf or Sop), we'll have cap room. However, that deal cannot be made. Chicago doesn't have the cap room to take on Nylander without giving up more than Buf. Say they go with Buf and Sop. Then we have the cap issue. Together, Buf and Sop carry 5.5M of cap hit. Nylan carries 4.6. That makes us .9M more cap hit. We can't handle that.

Another team has to be involved. I doubt if Buffalo is involved.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Dare I suggest that a Nylander trade for Byfuglien+picks might involve the Caps paying part of Nylander's salary? I surely hope not but it has happened before.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | November 21, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@AleksanderOMunchkin - the rules in the CBA forbid teams from paying partial salaries for players that they trade.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 21, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Byfuglien is a natural D who was converted to RW by Denis Savard last year mostly out of necessity. I would think that if we get him he will play D for us.

Sopel makes no sense. He's old, not that good and puts us deeper into a hole salary cap wise. Like others have said a 3rd team must be involved.

DrinkingPartner -

I still hate this deal. I disagree. I've seen enough from Nylander this year to think that he's still a bonafide #2 center (and Chicago obviously thinks so as well) and think that we simply haven't used him correctly. He's been bouncing around different lines, playing with different partners. I love Boudreau and pretty much always agree with his decisions, but I don't understand why he hasn't given Michael a good run as a #2 center with the same line mates, especially since Feds has been out. Even playing on the 4th line in the past 2 games Nylander has made some great plays and has 3 assists over that period. I can almost guarantee that if he ends up in Chicago and is used as a #2 center with good line mates he'll prove that he's still a bonafide #2 center.

Last thing. Afinogenov. I'm a huge fan of Max because he plays the game the way it was meant to be played IMO, but he's been extremely disappointing for years. A guy with his skills should be a star in this league. Who knows? Maybe playing with Ovechkin, Semin and Fedorov will reignite him and get the best out of him. If that were to happen we'd be getting some player and the Caps would become an even more exciting team to watch.

BTW, I hear rumors that Buffalo's coach Lindsey Ruff might be on the hot seat despite being the longest serving coach in the NHL.

Posted by: ranndino | November 22, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse