Morning Reading List: On to Round 2

(John McDonnell -- The Washington Post)

Last night it wasn't one of the Capitals' young guns who sealed the franchise's first trip to the second round of the playoffs since 1998. No, it was venerable Sergei Fedorov who fired the deciding shot, high glove side, past Henrik Lundqvist. Don't forget to check out the photo gallery too.

Mike Wise further examines all that it means for the 39-year-old Fedorov, someone who many debate whether he will return to the club next year, to score the series-clinching goal.

Here are the highlights from last night's win.

Tom Boswell takes a look at the giant step forward the Capitals, as a team and as a franchise, by defeating the Rangers.

More on Chris Clark's return to the lineup and the performance of Simeon Varlamov.

On to your end-of-round-1 D.C. Sports Bog course:

• Simeon Varlamov may have been the winning goaltender in the series, but he's still a rookie who just turned 21. So of course he got a shaving cream pie last night.

• Caps fans rocking the poncho, and other assorted rain gear.

• While some other fans at Verizon Center rock giant hands.

Here are a smattering of other Game 7 recaps and tid bits from The Washington Times, The New York Times, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun, The Toronto Star's Damien Cox, Yahoo's Greg Wyshynski, Newsday, NHL.com, John Grigg at The Hockey News and SI's Darren Eliot.

Eastern Conference Semifinals
In case you missed it, the Capitals will meet the Penguins in the second round of these playoffs. You can check out the game schedule here.

On your mark, get set...let the hype of this series begin.

• Wyshynski says the attention will be global.

• CBS Sports imagines how many smiles there were among NHL officials when the second round matchups were decided.

In the System
As we prepare for Washington vs Pittsburgh on two levels of the franchise, Tim Leone describes how John Carlson could have a quick impact in Hershey.

By Katie Carrera  |  April 29, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'Welcome to the Circus'
Next: Video: Wise, Steinberg, Ovie and Crosby

Comments

Those third-period Capitals were fantastic fun to see. (The first forty minutes were...Tsarlamov!)
I'm still waiting for Fehr and Fleischmann to make it -count-.
I am very, very sad inside that Avery got the worst of his late collision with 8. I hope that LOSING takes his mind off the pain.
We were as loud as we can be. But on Saturday we're gonna be Louder.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 29, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse

OMG I flew all the way from Alaska to see this game, and am heading back today to finish finals, then coming back for good until the stanley cup finals are over. WHAT A GAME!!! they def made the trip worth it, and the crowd at VC AMAZING. I loved everybody rockin' red, and cheering everytime we cleared the puck, or varly got a save and then of course when we scored. GREAT GAME. BRING ON THE FLIGHTLESS BIRDS!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | April 29, 2009 5:59 AM | Report abuse

did anyone else notice:

1) juice's sick strip in the 3rd period (i thought he had a good game)
2) theo was smacking people w/ his glove during the celebration, but his face looked really pissed?

Posted by: am_jim | April 29, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

oh & , capsfan387, glad u got to come out for a good one. :)

Posted by: am_jim | April 29, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe none of the games are on Comcast?!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 6:20 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited and this works out soo well for Pitt. For you see, Penguins are flightless birds adapted to swimming. By the time the red hot Capitals finish with them they will have a nice refreshing pool to swim around in and contemplate what to do with all their bonus summer vacation.

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 29, 2009 6:21 AM | Report abuse

I also can't believe it starts May 2nd. The Pens haven't played in a long time.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe none of the games are on Comcast?!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 6:20 AM
----------------
Rachel, don't get upset yet. That's the official schedule that was released by the league. CSN doesn't have the sched on their site yet but I'm willing to bet they'll carry the games, at least the non-NBC ones.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 29, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

@rachel216
Comcast will probably pick up all the games that are on Versus (2-7) They did it for the first round against the Rangers anyway.

Posted by: gebster | April 29, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Fedorov Rocks!

Posted by: MiaLeonaldo | April 29, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Reports out of New York say that Tortorella will be filming a TV commercial today.

VOICE OVER: "Coach, now that your team has been kicked out of the Playoffs, and you can't go to Disney World, what will you do?"

TORTS: "I'll go home, kick back, and have an Aquafina."

VOICE OVER: "Aquafina. Official drink of the New York Rangers."

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 29, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Katie's SI link has a photo of Varlamov with this caption: "The Hurricanes' defense was stout enough that rookie Simeon Varlamov faced just 15 shots on goal."

Wow, the Canes' D is really good.

Posted by: chrisd3 | April 29, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Description incomplete - doesn't include, "Number of wins needed to claim Stanley Cup."

Wings have the octopus, but that was when it was eight game. I was wondering if there was something to throw on the ice for 16, start a new tradition. The best I could come up with was an egg (could be dyed red) because atomic number for sulfur is 16. But that's pretty lame. Maybe someone else can do better. Of course, we never want anything thrown on the ice, but no one in Detroit complains about the octopus because it is harmless to the ice.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 29, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Pre-game I was talking to a couple who went to game 6 in NYC. Said the crowd was brutal up there. Apparently one of the Rags fans got up to leave when it was 5-1 and shook the Caps fan's hand, saying good luck in the next round and a group of the remaining Rags fans got up and ran him out of the section. Philly sounds like a walk in the park compared to MSG.

But that's all behind us now, time to look forward to Crysby and Co. Varly will definitely be tested more, that's for sure.

I have never stood up and screamed for the last 5 minutes of a game like we did last night at the Phonebooth - voice is completely gone now but it was totally worth it! "LETS GO CAPS" was echoing down the metro, could still hear it at L'Enfant, half an hour after the game!

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 29, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

What a game last night. After Feds scored the place was nuts. Not many even sat for the last 4:55.

I did go back and read some of the in game comments in here and shame on those of you trashing Ovi, BB, and the Caps in general. I'm not going to punk anyone out by screen name but after the 1st someone stated that Ovi was playing unspired game without any hitting. Maybe it wasn't on TV, but Ovi totally detroyed Avery in the offensive zone. The Caps benefitted from a couple of stellar saves in the first 10 minutes, and then kept the shots to the outside for the rest of the game. Varly even made a great play on the goal scored against us because he poked it off of Dubinsky's stick as he was "curl and dragging", unfortunately it went right to Antropov. If not for Varly in the first, the boys may not have pulled this one out. That's OK though, sometimes you need your goaltender to do that. All eventual champions have a goaltender that can hold the fort. We have one again.

As far as comments about BB being outcoached. I cannot believe people were saying that. You could tell that Tortorella challenged his vets to take this one and they responded. Gomez played lights out last night. The Rangers had the puck possession advantage in the 2nd but only managed 6 shots, 1 of which was a very nice save by Varly, otherwise the Caps kept the Rangers to the outside. Wasn't pretty but it worked.

The third period BB shuffled the 2nd line and finally moved Flash to the 4th line. Everyone can agree that the Caps went out in the 3rd to win this thing, not sit back and wait. They totally dominated and if not for Lundqvist the game would have been 3 or 4 -1. The Rangers played their best game of the series, by far. Yes, even better than in their wins. They looked like they wanted it and the Rangers vets did what they could to take our youngsters hearts.

The Caps showed they could win a playoff style game 7. On to round 2.

Again, shame on the Caps fans that were throwing in the towel mere minutes before Feds scored. I can't believe that kind of chatter was going on in here because even before Feds scored the tide had shifted and the Caps were rolling. I have to admit though, a lot of people complaining about Ovi, BB, and the Caps, weren't regulars.

What was up with SC1907 appearing to be a Caps fan last night?

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 29, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I have basic Dish Network, which doesn't include VS. ( I don't think). Does that mean I won't be able to watch this series in the comfort of my own home, wearing my lucky PJ's and holding my lucky red stress ball? WTF? Please advise....

Posted by: kkd76 | April 29, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh, for those of us wondering if Feds was worth the $4,000,000 the Caps paid him, including me. The answer is a resounding yes. His goal to push us into the 2nd round is priceless. Especiall since I don't have to sign the check :). I think Ted will be happy to sign that check since his goal put us in the 2nd round.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 29, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I would guess that its Versus exclusive from here on out so those that don't get it, better find a place that does.

Posted by: koalatek | April 29, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm hobbling because I tweaked my knee when I slipped on spilled beer in the concourse, I barely have a voice, my ears are still ringing, and I'm a just a teensy bit hung over from one celebratory beer too many.

...But I'd go out and do it all over again tonight. What a crowd, what a game =)

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 29, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock-

Indeed that certainly was the $4,000,000 goal last nite.

Also, did anyone else see Erskine check him into our bench- via the open door (can't remember exactly when, but later in the game). It was WELL after the play, Avery flew backwards right through the door, and landed flat on his back. There ref was literally right there and didn't do a thing. It was excellent.

One last thing- Tarik, any word about Mike Green after he missed the hit and slammed into the boards? He crushed himself and definitely looked dazed for a while afterwards.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 29, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Can't take credit for it but heres a nickname:
"Czar Lamov"

Posted by: NFeKPo | April 29, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

"Indeed that certainly was the $4,000,000 goal last nite."
Posted by: Fro_ | April 29, 2009 8:26 AM

And to think some of my friends questioned my choice earlier in the season when I bought a Fedorov jersey?!

Posted by: tess2201 | April 29, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I just watched the post game presser with Boudreau and he said something I totally agree with. That he was thinking during this game that we should have won the previous 6 games because we outplayed you in all of them, but were getting outplayed in this one so maybe luck that you had would turn our way and it did.

A bit scared is an understatement. After the first period I was like where the hell did this Rangers team come from? Torts made great adjustments. Not only by putting together a new 1st line with Avery - Dubinsky - Antropov, but also by playing aggressive and pressuring our guys all over the ice.

I thought Varly did an awesome job holding us in the game and giving us a chance to recover. What a great young goalie he is and what a difference from Theodore! I feel really good about our chances now that he's our #1 and he was also the reason I predicted that we'd come back from 1-3 down. His stats in this series are out of this world: 1.17 GAA & .952 save %! That's crazy! Especially for a 20-year old rookie. Will be interesting to see how he does vs. Pittsburgh because he's gonna be tested a lot more.

And how about the old man, Fedorov?! Talk about an all time great coming through in the clutch! With 5 minutes left I told Laura (who joined me with about 13 min left) that it was already like sudden death OT and whoever scores next will win the game. And then boom, Feds unleashes that bomb right after that! I pretty much went crazy. Laura said that our neighbors must hate me by now.

Ovechkin needs to tone down his celebrations of goals by his teammates. He almost killed poor Fedorov there. Feds had something pretty funny to say about it in his post game presser.

Anyway, unbelievable comeback and now we get to play Pittsburgh. Should be an amazing series. All matchups are good. I'll write a little preview for round 2 later. My predictions for round 1 were only 50% correct.

Oh, and I have to say that Henrik was incredible in the last few minutes after Feds scored. We had about 4-5 100% chances to put the game away and it's like he just refused to let in another one. He did all he could. His glove save down on the ice on Kozlov's rebound earlier in the game and also the kick save he made on a redirect right in front when he was going the wrong way were unbelievable. Varly also made a couple of crazy reaction saves on deflections right in front of him and of course that Antropov breakaway at the start.

Posted by: ranndino | April 29, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Oops... the post I just made was copied from an email to my Rangers fan fried which explains why I addressed the Rangers as "you".

Posted by: ranndino | April 29, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Looking back at my previous post- I'm referring to Avery getting hit by Erskine.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 29, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Awesome.
That was the first public English word Simeon Varlamov endeavored to say without a translator when he was playing for the Hershey Bears earlier this season.

It's the word that best sums up the Russian rookie goalie's performance in the pressure cooker of Game 7 Tuesday night at Verizon Center.

Awesome, Varly.
----------------
from Tim Leone of the Harrisburg Patriot

Posted by: tess2201 | April 29, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to say. The end of Carolina - NJ game 7 was even more insane. 2 goals in the last 1:20 to reverse the game in Canes' favor. Amazing! They deserved it because the last 10 minutes they played like they were possessed. I don't think they'll be a pushover for the Bruins.

Posted by: ranndino | April 29, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Laughlin, as usual, got it wrong: it wasn't Ovie who ran Avery-it was Federov. I thought it was 19 but replayed it twice on TIVO and it was 91.

Posted by: CapCenter105 | April 29, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the schedule, Will those on Comcast get the broadcasts of the games that are not on NBC? Please help - I don't get Versus.

Posted by: psugolf | April 29, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kkd76 | April 29, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

As someone who (stupidly) had the basic Dish Network package, as well, no Versus is in their premium set. No CSN either, but $5.99 a month will get it to you. And, in my opinion, 100% worth it.

Posted by: Josh8 | April 29, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Can't take credit for it but heres a nickname:
"Czar Lamov"

Posted by: NFeKPo | April 29, 2009 8:28 AM

I posted "Czarlamov" back when he first came up, but everyone else wanted the "Iron Curtain." I still think Czarlamov is catchy. Also, I've seen, "From Russia with Glove." That's pretty good.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 29, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

From the Greg Wyshynski recap, I see that picture of Bradley and OV come back as a photo shop? Matt's hand is in a very unusual place and with their facial expressions, I am sure some pens fans will photoshop it...

Now, anyone else not able to sleep last night? I just couldn't, I can't wait for Saturday!!!

Go CAPS!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | April 29, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

That last five minutes was simply out of hand.

What a great f'ing finish last night! Way to go, everybody!

Posted by: Goat_74 | April 29, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

What a night. Crazy on the street afterwards. I gotta get a Feds jersey.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 29, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Fanhock1 - good post. Let's not forget that even though the Caps didn't play their best the first 2 periods, the Rags played a very good defensive game.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 29, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Boo to the dude who said early in the series that Feds was aging before our eyes. Boo U & boo on that doubters!!

He's a HOF no doubts.
Big game player.

First 2 periods the Rangers were just flying & it looked like we played not to lose.

But come 3rd, the Rags loss their mojo.
They were gassed & we did to them what they did to us in the first 2 pd.
Pin them in their own zone for all of the 3rd.

Awesome game.

Nice to see resemblance of the old Chris Clark from the 1st shift to this last.
Btw - I thought their 3rd & 4th lines outplayed all of our lines in the first 2 pds.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 29, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

To everyone panicking about the TV schedule... Round 2 games are still shown on the Regional Sports Network (RSN), which for us is Comcast Sportsnet (CSN). And there's a lot of words in this post of mine, but please read it and read it carefully......

Versus does have two games of *exclusive* coverage per series, so you WILL need Versus in order to watch those two games only. As for which two, that will be announced later. All the other games (except the NBC Game 1) will be on both CSN and Versus, with Versus blacked out in the CSN market. The nonexclusive nights, the Versus feed is solely for the benefit of out of town viewers. You will have those games on Comcast Sportsnet, much like Round 1.

However, if we go on to Round 3 or 4, full national exclusivity kicks in, and the RSNs no longer show any games at all. So you might want to be updating your TV plan anyway.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I think my UserId says it all. :)

p.s. BTW, I created the name because I was defending him in my first post. I was replying to comments made by Chief or somebody like that.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | April 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Polls on ESPN, let's own 'em:

You have to search around for the who's gonna win poll, though.

Posted by: Southwester | April 29, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Varly is #2 on the NHL power rankings for TSN! Well deserved...of course!
At least leading into this series they can't say the Caps are having "goalie issues"!

If we play simple hockey, connect on passes, go to and crash the net (a goal is a goal), and play solid D...we should have a good chance at knocking the flightless foul out of the running!

Posted by: NatyBG | April 29, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Somebody else may have pointed this out already, but if so, I didn't see it:

1998 Cup Finals, Game 3 in DC, Caps down 2-0 in the series, game tied 1-1 with 5 minutes left. A Red Wing comes across the blue line to Olie's left 1-on-1, pulls up and fires a wrist shot from the circle that beats Olie and essentially finishes the Caps, who get swept.

The Red Wing was Sergei Fedorov. The goal he scored last night was so similar as to make you ponder concepts like Fate and Destiny...

Posted by: christiansonm | April 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Czarlamov is awesome and also plays right into the issue about Semyon's last name. Is it VARlamov or varLOMov. Well know we know thanks to the kid. But as for the nickname, is it Czarlamov or Tsarlamov?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 29, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Or czarLOMov or tsarLOMov?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet there was a nice get together at Russia House last night...and well deserved.

Posted by: saintex | April 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

So sad to have missed the game last night in person. I have bronchitis and gave tix to my 2 college kids, they said it was the absolute best (and they think they have the best mom, LOL)....Here we come Pens!

Posted by: hockeymom5 | April 29, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Grateful that the Caps won last night! My only beef was with the Versus commentators during the game. Obviously bias towards the Rangers, it got irritating. Found a way to tune them out but honestly, a little impartiality would be nice. Yay, I got Versus for Round 2. Boo, I got Versus for Round 2. =/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Hart Finalists: AO, Malkin, Datsyuk. Great year for Pavel.

Posted by: saintex | April 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

think my UserId says it all. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | April 29, 2009 10:15 AM
--------------

It would be even better if you would have spelled his name correctly: FEDOROV

Posted by: tess2201 | April 29, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know when tickets will be available for the home games? The Ticketmaster site says they are currently not for sale. Thanks!

Posted by: countystyle | April 29, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@Tess2201,

Yes it would have been. I didn't notice the typo until, well it was too late. I could always say I was using poetic license (Better - Feder kind of thing), but the truth is I made a mistake.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | April 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Weagles vs ducks in tuxes. I like the odds. DID ANY HEAR Barry Melrose on ESPN last night? HE SAID HIS MONEY IS ON THE CAPS. thats big thats really big.

I just read the most disgusting article in the NYT you would think that the rangers won last night.

listen to this qoute
"Sean Avery was easily the best player on the ice"

what the F.

But I am completely ready PITT.

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | April 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: No. 1 star last night was Jurcina. He was all over the ice, finishing checks, breaking up plays, clearing pucks. Does anyone agree? Is there anything Jurcina could do to earn the respect of this board?

Posted by: chevychase10 | April 29, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

chevychase10

Maybe not the No. 1 star, but Jurcina played certainly one of his best games and he did hit and play STRONG last night especially. He deserves RESPECT as do quite a few otherwise maligned Caps.

Posted by: CapCenter105 | April 29, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans, there are plenty of good seats available to the 2 games in Pitt. Lets make a good showing at the Friday nite game. Take a half day and get up there with your jersey.

Posted by: daddy_axe | April 29, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse