Morning Reading List

There really is no place like home for the Capitals, who remained undefeated in regulation at Verizon Center this season with a 5-3 victory over Atlanta last night. While the buzz during the day was about the four call ups from Hershey, it was Alex Ovechkin who grabbed the spotlight with a hat trick and assist. Ovechkin has recorded at least a point in each of the Caps past nine games.

*A night after one of their best performances of the season the Thrashers looked lethargic against Washington and failed to do much of anything to thwart the high-flying Ovechkin.

*Sports Illustrated will announce its Sportsman of the Year on Dec. 2, and S.L. Price's pick for the title is none other than Ovechkin. The following quote is one of Price's reasons for supporting Ovechkin and you can check out his full list here.

Because Washington, D.C., is usually a city impermeable to fun. It's a hanging-judge sober, self-important town, and so, its NFL Redskins own the sports scene and make it a deadly dull succession of stories about losing....But last spring, Ovechkin and his Capitals snapped the horrible, mediocre sports stranglehold, and electrified the whole bland scene in a way that didn't seem possible. He became the town's first MVP since -- perfect -- Joe Theisman in 1983. He made snooty, above-it-all D.C. feel, for the first time, like an actual sports town.

*Here are the highlights from last night in case you weren't able to see the game.

In the system:
*The Bears defeated Binghamton 4-1 to extend their winning streak to a league-high six games. Oscar Osala continued his hot streak with two goals and an assist against the Senators.

*As the organization reshuffles in reaction to the Caps injury woes, Michael Dubuc was reassigned to Hershey from South Carolina. Coach Bruce Boudreau's son Ben was signed by the Stingrays yesterday as well.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

By Katie Carrera  |  November 27, 2008; 8:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Thrash Atlanta, 5-3
Next: Thanksgiving Injury Update

Comments

First to say GOBBLE, GOBBLE!! :-D (Is that a fine?!?)

Go Ovie!! He certainly earned it last season and, the way he has been playing lately, he is earning it all over again. I hope it get's it - hockey is always the underdog, as is Ovie, so it's about time that the NHL and Ovie got their sports(man) props.

BTW, a gold star for Katie for working on Thanksgiving morning!! :-) Thanks, Katie, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Posted by: Boo- | November 27, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

P.S. This year I am thankful for the Caps, Tarik and Katie ... and the Bears!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 27, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin for Sportsman of the Year! WOW! Excellent news!

And Boudreau's son is playing with the Stingrays? I can't wait to watch him! I mean, sure, it's the ECHL, but the boy's on his way! XD It would be ever so cool if he could one day play for the Caps with his dad as the coach.

I'm glad to see the Bears continue to win without five of their top players. :-) Osala is consistently good, and I'm looking forward to watching him play for the Caps one day.

Last night's game was an incredible rush for the fans, and for the Caps too, I think. Hope they - and everybody else! - have a happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: irockthered | November 27, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

For the Bears, Varmalov kept them in the game when the Bears had a terrible 2nd period. He may be able to replace JT sooner than expected -- next year or maybe even this year. The kid has a great catching glove, awesome movement in the crease, and catlike reflexes. He stole two goals to keep the lead 2-1 in the second until the Sens got frustrated with a dumb slash in front of Varm -- the resulting pp goal simply ended the Sens night.

By the way, you can get super cheap tickets right near the ice for $16 with a Giant discount card. It's nice to see the future Caps play. Some may even be Caps by Friday.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 27, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I cant wait to get the update that Semin, Green, Gordon, Erskine, Feds, Clark, Shultz and now Poti are out for Fri's game vs the Habs who just won 3-1 in Detroit.

Ouch...But Im still Thankful today...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 27, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

What a nasty set of comments about D.C. It was supposed to be a set of reasons that he supports Ovechkin and it was just a total rag on the city of DC.
DC is a fine place for sports that supports a winner. Yeah we all jumped on the Capitals bandwagon last year - cause there was finally a reason. If the Bullets were any good, we'd cheer there too. And our long support for the Redskins came from many previous years of winning.

Posted by: bentoenail | November 27, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

From last post

I agree that there are too many wild & crazy comments on here that have no basis in fact.I guess all the nasty comments re Flash last year are a good example. Who knows, maybe all the similar comments re Schultz may be words to eat in the future.

I'll be the first to admit that I piped in occasionally about Flash last year. I'll eat my crow with a little salt and pepper, please. But he still has a ways to go. Fehr, too, but damn he's making a strong argument for more ice time which is great! Make it tough on the other guys on the team. They'll either rise to the occasion, or they'll be the ones sitting in the press box.

I'm still not seeing what the coaches and GMGM see in Schultz, though. Potential is there, I just don't see him growing into it.

Again, though. I'll be more than happy to have my crow with salt and pepper.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 27, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Ratz!

That first para was supposed to be in quotes and attributed to Sidehillman.

Sorry 'bout that.

And Happy and a safe Thanksgiving to all!

Posted by: Greg S. | November 27, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

That's a nice accolade for AO; but the SI writer's comments about DC, remind me how irrelevant Sports Illustrated has become.

Posted by: Max23 | November 27, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Greg, if Fehr keeps progressing, he might be taking Koz's spot next season. The kid has a lot of potential, I just hope he lives up to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Oskar O in the bigs (and his line mates, Varlamov too)

Posted by: Steve_R | November 27, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

What's the story on Poti?

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 27, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I haven't looked forward to the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition in years... Which was the only issue I looked forward to for years...

Um...

Some people are going to have to get use to the fact that the names on the back of the sweaters are going to change. Older, slower, more expensive and underachieving veterans will be replaced with green, hungry, mistake prone, more athletic and cheaper players. Call it progress or whatever you want, its a reality.

I call it progress.

We should all be excited about the Caps and the Bears. Keep in mind that we have brought up 5 AHL'ers, 5, and none of them are named Perrault, Osala, Aucoin, Giroux, Varlamov, Bouchard or Godfrey.

That is a very sweet thing.

"Unleash the Hershey!"

Posted by: JSchon | November 27, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Everything that dude wrote about DC was spot on. Its a no-fun town full of clowns and type-A's, who are often rude, with mediocre looks. Leave DC and it gets country, fast. Its a weird place.

Posted by: oo7 | November 27, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

So dont buy a Kozlov or a Nylander or Poti sweater unless you are related to them.

I'd buy a Fehr and Fleischmann immediately.

Posted by: JSchon | November 27, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

No offense to all of Katie's excellent work, but the paragraph she chose from the SI essay is not a true representation of the whole article. I believe that the essay as a whole, especially the last paragraph, is spot on.

Posted by: calle06 | November 27, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Greg s

I have eaten a lot of crow in my time, but I prefer mustard with it.

JSchon

ESPECIALLY, Osala, Perrault, & Buchard. O yes & the "Bomb Godfrey". Thats why I drive 110 miles each way to see them play.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 27, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@oo7 very true about DC, but his comments that the media dedication to the Redskins made all their stories about losing were a little harsh considering that Gibbs made the playoffs twice in his second term here. And AO may be the first MVP since Theisman, but Portis is certainly going to be in the top 3 in the voting this year. I'll agree that DC was never really a hockey town before, but to say its never been a sports town is just wrong.

Posted by: doncosmic | November 27, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@opita

While I do love numbers, I love results even more.

I like progress, I like taking calculated chances.

I like replacing old with new when it makes sense too.

I don't have the time to go back into the archives of this blog...

but if anyone does... you'll find me saying...

- That the Flash experiment is not over, when almost everyone was calling for his head.

- That the signing of M.Green would be around $5.5 and would be a steal.

- And more recently, that Fehr needs to be given more games and ice time.

you'll also find me saying that...

- Poti is washed up and dump him please, oops.

- Nylander, at this point in his career, better than Fedorov... ooops

Posted by: JSchon | November 27, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Up there in Hershey with the youth teams do the say this???

Unleash the Hershey Squirts?

Sorry could not resist.....

Happy T-giving to All Caps fan and families, and you as well cheef. :)

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 27, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Kozlov is playing really well right now. I dont know what all this dump Kozlov talk is about.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 27, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

No one is trying to replace Koz now.

He is playing just fine... However, since Kozlov is a UFA after this season, its nice to see that Fehr is playing producing and could potentially be Kozlov's replacement in 2009/10.

Posted by: JSchon | November 27, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@ bentoenail

Man, I totally agree! What a bunch of insults toward DC.

Posted by: StanislavNS | November 27, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the article itself is even worse!!!

"It is not a pretty face; better yet, it's not close to being prettifiable. It is what used to be called a "mug" -- nose twisted here and there, mouth punctuated by a tooth-gap big enough for a trans-Siberian engine to tunnel through, matted hair framing it like a Cro-Magnon's after a day spent tracking mastodon. It is the face of a workman, not a wanna-be model, the face of a man who would shove you down a ravine just to see you bounce."

WOW!!

Can he like never again write anything about DC?

Posted by: StanislavNS | November 27, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov is probably playing the best hockey of his career right now. He's never been a big point producer. But he was affordable, he got along well with Ovechkin and Semin, and he wasn't a defensive liability. He's decent in his own end. But now he's going after pucks and playing smarter. He's always been a good passer, but now he has eyes in the back of his head. Thats a good sign. He's also in a contract year and wants to stick around. Its a good gig, and he cares now. Florida never gave that impression. The Islanders were a step up, yikes. Suddenly, he's playing with better forwards than he's ever played with and its a skate, pass, shoot! plan instead of a 3 on 5. Remember the Caps of old? Wilson and his dump and chase routine? And then out in the first round?

this turkey's taking forever.

Posted by: oo7 | November 27, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse