Morning Reading List: The Net Navigators

(Jonathan Newton - The Washington Post)

Jose Theodore, center, is the starter for now, but youngsters Michal Neuvirth, left, and Semyon Varlamov, last season's playoff hero, are eager to challenge him in goal this year. Click here to read the story.

A few more Caps-related items:

* The Russians are sure to dominate the fantasy hockey draft board. From TSN's Scott Cullen:

On the list of the top scorers, there are no great surprises, though Washington's Ovechkin is slotted one point ahead of last year's league-leading scorer, Pittsburgh's Malkin. Ovechkin held a slight advantage over Malkin last season in points-per-game and both players have proven to be very durable early in their careers, so Ovechkin gets the ever-so-slight edge this year.

* ESPN's Pierre Lebrun agrees with Tarik that the Caps' biggest issue is the uncertainty in goal:

Caps coach Bruce Boudreau told ESPN.com this summer that, minutes after the Penguins hoisted the Stanley Cup in June, his cell phone was filled with text messages from his players. They were angry and bitter and couldn't wait for the puck to drop for the 2009-10 season. This is a highly motivated and highly skilled squad that returns for a run at the Cup this season. Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Mike Green and the rest of the bunch are intent on avenging a nightmarish end to the season against the Penguins in the second round. Among the veterans gone after last season are forward Sergei Fedorov, Viktor Kozlov and tough guy Brashear, replaced by center Brendan Morrison and underrated winger Mike Knuble.
Burning question: Who's the No. 1 man in goal? Rookie Semyon Varlamov replaced veteran Jose Theodore in the playoffs, but the Russian's season ended with a Game 7 pull against Pittsburgh. Theodore is in the last year of a deal that pays him $4.5 million, which makes him easier to move come the trade deadline if the Caps feel confident that Varlamov is indeed their man.

* From the Caps' Paul Rovnak, here's a short clip of Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom playing keep-away during some downtime.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 15, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fleischmann Talks About Blood Clot
Next: Training Camp: Day 3 Updates

Comments

what a great picture, theo looks like he has lost some weight though. understandable with his summer and all. looking forward ti the season with the tree between the pipes for sure

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 15, 2009 6:03 AM | Report abuse

that mercedes ad on the side is really really really really really really really annoying. just so you know. it doesn't make me want to buy the car, and it makes me not want to read the website.

Posted by: spinner-33 | September 15, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate the help so far, but we are still a bit short.

I find myself at least 4 people short (we'll take more) in a yahoo head to head league that is set to draft this Thursday at 8:15PM Eastern. It is a head to head league. Please e-mail me at lornemyoung@yahoo.com if you are interested. I just ask those that join (if any) to keep it clean and friendly.

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 15, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Having watched the Vancouver / NYI last night, I am now seriously jonesing for hockey and I am jonesing to be back in the VC. That game was just a lot of fun to watch. The Islanders work hard - real hard - but they just don't have the offensive power to be competitive, I don't think.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 15, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I'll second the complaint about the adds on these pages.. I know there's probably nothing we can do about it, but it just slows down browsing so much. And forget loading this page on a mobile device.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 15, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

One solution: Firefox + Flashblock.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | September 15, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Firefox...

ad block...

Posted by: tha_prophet | September 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

That doesn't help my mobile device, which is the larger problem.

Anyway, good call by whoever said Jose looks thinner. He definitely does. I hope he has a killer season and pushes Varly to play at his best.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 15, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually hoping Theo plays well. He usually plays well in patches followed by patches of, er, well, you know...

But, he seems to play his best when challenged. Johnny gave him a run for the starting job before he got hurt and Theo responded by playing better. Let's hope for more of that this year.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 15, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Is this the only update we get today?

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 15, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

per Tarik via twitter:

Stefan Della Rovere (concussion) has been returned to his junior team. Grant McNeill and Darren Reid have been sent to Hershey.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | September 15, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

That picture and title are pretty awesome.

Posted by: superpaqman | September 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Give Corey some love! Camp updates here:

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | September 15, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Islanders will probably bottom out the East again.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

A bit off topic but does anyone know what happened to Olie Kolzig? Has he signed anywhere or announced his retirement?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | September 15, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think a lot of us check both Massick and Tarik. Usually when one is lacking in coverage, the other is picking it up. I wouldn't go post a times link here though. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | September 15, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | September 15, 2009 11:40 AM |

Didn't he accept a position in TO's management?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Also curious about Kolzig. I had not heard any news about him retiring, and do not recall anything here or in paper regarding a management job.

Posted by: Kim-3 | September 15, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Olie said in the summer that he was 99% sure he was going to retire or something similar.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 15, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

RE: Kolzig,

The last I heard was he was rehabbing. Who knows if he will attempt to play this year though...

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 15, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. I read the Times article where it mentioned Collins. So Collins needs wwaivers to be sent down. He has a two-year deal for $1.3M. He played decent enough last year that for sure some team would take him at that price, don't you think? Same with Aucoin and Sloan - put them on waivers and they are gone. I'm not sure the 7 d-men couldn't be Green, Poti, Pothier, Erskine, Alzner, Collins and Sloan, or you add Schultz and keep 8.

I'm inclined to keep Collins with a two-year deal rather than either ShaMo or Jurcina, both of who are UFAs after this season.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 15, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

well olie got traded to the leafs last I heard but his contract did expire in July and no news of him signing or retiring, but it's all but a done deal. he could only be a backup and most teams have found their man, leafs def want him as a goalie coach though thats why they traded for him

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 15, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't believe the WaPo had a huge picture of the Caps' goalies on the front page of the sports section! Very nice---giving some proper respect to the sport of hockey in DC. However, I would have also liked a better picture of Juan Martin DelPotro who beat Federer for #1 at the US Open. Oh well, can't have everything.

I wish JT, VarLOmov, and MN all the best in the net this year. And thanks for the short clip of the guys skating. Feels like forever since they were on the ice last season.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 15, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, it should have been "VarLAmov". And that car ad is irritating to the max.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 15, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

If you have the sports package on Directv you should be able to get the Caps vs Blackhawks game on CSN-CH(HD). Not sure of the channel number. Also, I don't think NHL Center Ice will assume the rights of the game yet because it is pre-season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 15, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that add needs to go, and fast. I liked the article and I hope that Theo does feel the pressure and steps up. That coupled with Woody coaching our young D could mean great things for us this year.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 15, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

New (and confused) STH here.

Just logged onto my account to try to sell some tickets and I have no events listed. The "manage my tickets" quick link is greyed out, hence unclickable. When I click on the TicketExchange icon it tells me that there are no tickets for sale.

I received the tickets last week but am paying for them monthly; we are half paid off.

Am I doing something wrong? Do you all see your tickets listed?

Posted by: sldyer1 | September 15, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

well olie got traded to the leafs last I leafs def want him as a goalie coach though thats why they traded for him

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 15, 2009 1:10 PM

Ah, no. Leafs took him of the Bolts hand an payroll for a draft picks, which they eventually lost because of semi-related shenanigans.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 15, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 & Section117:

**extinguishes anti-troll flamethrower and locks it in the garage**

Peace, folks. If I am accused of being a "homer", then guess I must plead Guilty--of course I want the Caps to win! I make snarky comments here from time to time, it's true. That said, please know that if you are the recipient of some of these, I am just being half-silly, and I genuinely respect that we may agree to disagree.

My real venom is reserved for the unrepentant trolls who sometimes stink up these boards, and please be assured that--however vigorously I may disagree with you--I do not consider either of you to fall within that category.

Respectfully,