Morning Reading List: 'We're Ready to Go'

(Courtesy of Bill Duh)

Nothing like hockey in June. Two potential Cup-clinching games tonight:

* Hershey Bears vs. Manitoba Moose (Bears lead, 3-1); Game 5; 7 p.m.; watch online here.

From the Patriot-News:

For the first time in 29 years, the Hershey Bears have a chance to clinch the Calder Cup at home.
Elder statesman Bryan Helmer was 6. Keith Aucoin was 1. Little Graham Mink was four days away from celebrating his first birthday, while Quintin Laing would have to wait until June for his first birthday party.
Dean Arsene, due to arrive on July 20, was only in his third trimester of gestation. Kip Brennan was born on Aug. 27.
Thus, tonight's Game 5 of the Calder Cup finals at Giant Center has an epochal feel.

And for the talent-packed Bears, the Cup is close enough to touch.

"We've got some leaders that have kind of put their foot down," Hershey's Chris Bourque said. "Everyone knows that we're ready to go. We're all pretty pumped up. We're not going to take [Manitoba] lightly. If it happens, it will be probably the best moment for probably everyone's life in there."

From the Winnipeg Free Press:

Other than one Game 1 goal, [Moose goalie] Cory Schneider has been no slouch in this series no matter how overlooked or dissed he's been here.
And of course, his counterpart, rookie Michal Neuvirth, has been a virtual rock at home, which complicates the Moose challenge.
"We've only won one game so I've got to be my best every single night," Schneider said after Sunday's 2-1 loss in Game 4. "I'm not going to change a whole lot but clearly I have to be one better."

From the Winnipeg Sun:

Had Sunday's result been a little different, Scott Arniel might have been a little louder in voicing his opinion over a couple of high checks.
When asked about the head hunting, the head coach of the Manitoba Moose showed great restraint when referring to a couple checks delivered by Hershey Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto.
"If we had won the game I would probably talk about it," said Arniel. "I don't want to (show) sour grapes or take away from anything that (the Bears) are doing."

(Claus Andersen - Getty Images)

* Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Detroit Red Wings (Red Wings lead, 3-2); Game 6; 8 p.m.; NBC.

From The Detroit Free Press:

Marian Hossa doesn't talk about the sweetest of ironies -- winning the Stanley Cup against the team he spurned last summer for less money but a better opportunity. But he can't ignore it. Nobody can. It's the two-ton elephant in Mellon Arena tonight.
"I can only imagine how difficult it might be for Hoss," teammate Kirk Maltby said. "You're this close, playing your former team in their building with the chance to win your first Stanley Cup a year after you were on the other side. You don't see situations like that happen every day."
What a scene it would be if the Wings wrap it up tonight and captain Nicklas Lidstrom honors Hossa with the privilege of the first Stanley Cup handoff. How would Penguins fans react?

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

World-class talents such as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin might be able to seize control of Game 6 -- just as Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk or Marian Hossa could for Detroit -- and perhaps it would be fitting for one to do it on the 25th anniversary of Mario Lemieux being drafted by the Penguins.

From the Detroit News:

Here they are again, chasing something special, pulled by strong forces, pushed by others.
The Red Wings sit one victory from another Stanley Cup, and it's pretty obvious by now, they don't get here by accident. Everyone pulls but it's one man's job to relentlessly push, and Mike Babcock takes his job very, very seriously.
Oh, he'll crack a smile and joke about wearing his lucky tie, but there's no letup with Babcock, the eloquent, emotional turbine on a team of low-key stars. It's not a coincidence there's little letup with the Wings. They can pull off a rare repeat by beating the Penguins in Game 6 tonight in Mellon Arena, and what drives them is different from who drives them.

From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Nothing, nada, zero, a giant goose egg -- any which way, the Penguins haven't gotten a goal from top-line wingers Bill Guerin and Chris Kunitz in the Stanley Cup Final. Still, coach Dan Bylsma insisted Monday after practice at Mellon Arena that his club can rally from a 3-2 deficit to Detroit in the best-of-seven series without Guerin or Kunitz scoring.
"Yes we can," he said. "We don't need them to score. We need our team to play well."
Actually, the Penguins need to do whatever they can tonight to win Game 6 at Mellon Arena. Otherwise, the Red Wings get the Cup, again.

More on both games later tonight. Enjoy the madness.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 9, 2009; 9:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: A Future in Hershey
Next: Kozlov and the KHL (Again)

Comments

Boyoboy I can't wait for tonight. Bears Woo!

Posted by: uncatim | June 9, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I thought this was Capitals Insider, not Pens/Wings Insider.

B-E-A-R-S BEARS BEARS BEARS WOOOOOOOOO!!!

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | June 9, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It is a league-conscious Capitals Insider. And we happen to think that's not such a bad thing!

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | June 9, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Well Egon, If you are like me, then you are a Caps fan first and anyone who is playing the Pens second! So, right now, I am pulling hard for the Wings!

Go Detroit! Can't wait to see Hossa's face if they do win it. I hope he sticks his tongue out at the pens....

Posted by: hbcapsfan | June 9, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Pens blow!! heres hoping that Crysby has to watch the Cup raised by the Wings tonight.

on another front, see this mornings Puck Daddy for a story on a KHL team showing interest in one Michael Nylander.

Posted by: doughless | June 9, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I hate both teams hbcapsfan. I'll be cheering for both franchises to self destruct simultaneously.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | June 9, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to think that the more intelligent people in the blog universe do not actually need the blogger TEB, LA or KC to come up with topics for us. I'm not even sure what this thread is exactly about.

Underrated song... Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis and the News

Posted by: JSchon | June 9, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

tonight the fowl will be crying, and there will be a solemn marching of yellow and black clad fans, heads down, a last march of the penguins. bwahahahaha!

Bears game is the one to watch pour moi.

Posted by: oo7 | June 9, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Though Sidney Crosby is not scoring, setting up his teammates, playing defense, or leading through inspiration, only an ignoramous can't appreciate the grace, dignity, humilty, and greatness of Mr. Crosby. He is the best player in the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs; I'd argue he is dominating the spring like no other athlete on the planet. Michael Wilbon, by not including Mr. Crosby in his conversation about the most dominant athletes further demonstrates why Washington will never be a good hockey market. Mr. Crosby does not just belong in the conversation alongside Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, and Kobe Bryant, the conversation begins and ends with Mr. Crosby and the aforereferenced athletes are footnotes. Through supporting athletes of Mr. Crosby's character, grace, humility, and talent, the National Hockey League is committed to demonstrating to everyone why hockey is the best sport and ensuring the long term financial stability of the game.

Gary B. Bettman
Commissioner, The National Hockey League
New York, New York & Toronto, Ontario

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 9, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Egon - what do you suggest they talk about? Mike Green was seen at the grocery store last night? Nicklas Backstrom shops at Macys in the off season? Alexander Semmin enjoys sushi on a Monday night?

Tonight is game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals and our Caps are eliminated. I enjoy reading the Pitt and Detroit articles and am guessing most others do as well.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 9, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

so, did everyone check out the NHL bylaws and constitution that was posted by the Globe & Mail? Quality reading material there. Bettman can basically fine anyone he wants for any reason if he doesn't like what they say.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 9, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Is watching the game (Hershey) free from the link above? Or do you have to pay?

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | June 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

If the Wings win, I wonder is Crosby will ask if they stop carrying the cup, and stop celebrating...

What a little punk that kid is..

Posted by: SA-Town | June 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@SkinFan: It's a pay link, it's $10 to watch the game I bought the series, and the quality is pretty decent. I've managed to tie my computer into my TV set, so I can throw the game up full-scren (granted, it's low quality, but it beats the radio).

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the Bears game tonight -- it's all I can do to focus at work and get my job done.

DET - PIT - good luck Detroit. Make the Pens cry for us, just one more time.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay: Good job.
Jschon: I had often asked myself the same question, now I realized that most of the bloggers here are young fanatics exercising their silly enthusiasm just as I did when I was their age.

Posted by: hock1 | June 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Watching the Red Wings carry the cup around in front of all those crying obese Pens fans will be so worth watching!!! Go Wings!!!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | June 9, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

BTW -- someone posted that only Neuvy, Carlson, and Alzner are possibly ready for NHL duty. I disagree. I think that Bourque, Osala, Aucoin, and Giroux can all play in the NHL. Not as stars immediately, but they all can help the Caps next year for a lot less than a UFA/RFA and they know the system and play well in it. Sloan is also a possibility to compete for the last pairing, depending on what happens with ShaMo and Schultz.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | June 9, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

is there a way to listen to the game tonight?

Posted by: godpere | June 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

My humblest apologies but I wretched on myself when I clicked open the Washington Post site and got a big honking helping of Crosby.

Go Bears! Go Redwings! Stick it to the Penguins please!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Not to beat a dead horse, cause I think a lot of folks have sung this tune, but Kozlov, Brashear, and Feds leaving us is definitely for the best. Whats the point have having the best AHL team in the league if we ain't gonna bring up the young, fresh legged talent. Using the past as an indicator (ie the development of Steckel, Laich, and Flieshman), there is no reason we can't plug these missing parts with the likes of Acoin, Giroux, and Beagle. Furthermore, I like what I saw of Sloan and Helmer when they were up on the Caps this past season. At 6-4, 220 llbs, Osala seems to be a guy who could possible park himself in front of the net and bang in some goals too. Very exciting times for the Caps/Bears organizations. Go Bears! Go Caps! Long live the spirit of Kelly Miller, my fav back in the day. Nothing like this bank commercial on ghetto DC 20!!!!

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | June 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Amen hbcapsfan, if the Caps aren't in then I just don't want the Penguins to win, I'd root for almost any team that played them, especially teams from the West. I like the Red Wings, think they are a great team. They work hard and keep their mouths shut (for the most part). The only player I can't really respect based on the principle is Hossa. I understand, you want to win a cup, but you were just on a team that went to the finals. I can understand if you were spending your time on, say, the Islanders or a bottom of the NHL team but to switch from one finals team to another just seems obnoxious. I hate the Pens as much as the next person (Caps fan), but Hossa personally pisses me off.

That said- I've been saying this since the day after game 7 in DC, there is no better vengeance than the Pens losing to the Red Wings in the finals for a second time in the row. We have a Pens playoff curse, I'm hoping that this year is the second annual Red Wings curse for the Pens.

and LETS GO BEARS! (I was so glad that headline quote was from a Bear and not Pens/Red Wings... I think CI is doing a good job of first addressing the Caps affiliates and then moving on to general NHL... kudos guys) and by default- LETS GO RED WINGS!

Posted by: mrszilla | June 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Power of love by Huey Lewis is another good underrated song. Maybe because it's in Back to the Future..I don't know.

Posted by: jake81 | June 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

You know ... I want to hear what Coach Arniel has to say about another barn's crowds in the future after this series. I bet he never makes another comment like that one again, because the Bears video staff exploited it ruthlessly, the fans took it personally, and the team benefited from it.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Because we all need something to talk about ... what songs do you think the Caps entertainment crew should play in the arena next season? I've got a few ideas ...

Bon Jovi, "Raise Your Hands"
Nickelback, "Gotta Be Somebody"
Twisted Sister, "We're Not Gonna Take It"
Blackmore's Night, "Locked Within the Crystal Ball"

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Kitty- I must have missed that along the way, what did Coach Arniel say?

Posted by: mrszilla | June 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

godpere,
You can get the Hershey audio for the game at sportsjuice.com.
Let's Go Bears!

Posted by: _Mark | June 9, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Kitty,
if there is another video being shot...my rep better let me know! I was so jealous last year

Posted by: caps28fan | June 9, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@mrszilla: Coach Arniel opened his mouth after Game 2. Here's the quote:

"Those Hershey fans are not quite as loud as they are here at the MTS, but they have a real good home record.

Hershey's barn and video crew said O RLY? Sounds like a challenge! The result on Saturday night was bedlam - not equal to the Verizon Center at the end of game 7, but it was easily the loudest I've ever heard the building.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Whoa. It's official, apparently: Kozlov signs with Salavat Yulaev

Hat tip to tuvanhillbilly at Japers' for the translation.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

...and I'm willing to be tonight will be even louder. Bet you that Coach Arniel is not enjoying his serving of mushroom-stuffed crow after that one!

I'm hoping for a triple-win today: me with a job (I have an interview in about an hour), the Bears with a Calder, and the Wings with Lord Stanley's Hardware... *fingers, toes, and eyes crossed HARD!*

Posted by: irockthered | June 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

as far as the Bears game tonight, if you have XM, I believe its on the radio. If you're cheap like me and don't want to pay for the video, of course. Sunday was the Hershey radio feed and it was homer-rific!

I think Sloan stays in the system. The Caps really like him, and I'm a sucker for a good success story. He can be counted on to step up when need, play solid if not spectacular D, and nothing seems to rattle him.

Oh, Kozzie, thanks for the memories, the good times, and the adorable dimples

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 9, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Goodbye, sweet prince.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 9, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the NHL Network will carry the Hershey game tonight? Or maybe replay it some time this week?

Posted by: PhilR | June 9, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, very simple with Kozlov leaving, Eric Fehr needs to at least replace the 41 pts Kozlov "garnered" last year as #1 RW. If the Caps could get 108 standing pts with Kozzie getting 41 pts, then the Caps can do it with Fehr producing same. Then of course Osala needs to step up and provide however many pts Fehr had, around 30 I think. And if Nylander moves on, Aucoin needs only to replace his point production. All at a fraction of the cost, thereby allowing valuable cap dollars to be used on either Bobby Oduya or a crease clearing D-man. Good luck, Kozzie!

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Kozzie, thanks for the memories, the good times, and the adorable dimples

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 9, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Tom in Fl's version:

"Thanks for the memories, the good times and the cap space."

Those dimples didn't do a whole lot for me.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Oduya is a good choice. How do you think he measures up to a guy like Johnny Orr, though?

Posted by: thiazzi | June 9, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered: Hope you get your triple!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 9, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR: I wouldn't count on the NHL network this year. So far it only says they will be playing NHL on the Fly.

Goodbye Kozlov...our team that used to be Mother Russia's favorite...will be that no more. Thanks!

Can't wait until the game tonight, we will be heading up to Hershey here in a bit! Instead of rockin the red...I will be rockin the "We want it" Bears shirt! Oh, and my Herhsey kiss necklace...sounds crazy but every game I wore it to they won and the one time I didn't we lost!

B-E-A-R-S
Bears
Bears
Bears
Wooo!

Posted by: NatyBG | June 9, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Who is Johnny Orr?

I know of a Jimmy Orr...and a Bobby Orr.

On another subject, what if Nylander really bolts? Cap relief for the Caps is not guaranteed. The league might actually (gasp) sue to stop the KHL because they don't want to set a precedent (even for someone in Nyles situation). Can the Caps "trade" Nylander to the KHL. Wait, I think someone pointed out that since Nylander signed before he was 35, he can retirre and the rest of his contract goes unpaid and the cap hit stops. Then the NHL can cut a deal with the KHL, allowing an exemption for him to play in Russia. Lots of lawyers would be involved on this side of the pond and lots of shady characters from over there. I don't think though that Mrs. Nylander will want to deal with a bunch of shady, tatooed Russians.

"Ve have vays to make you score goal."

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind...I now see the typo.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I just did a Johnny-Bobby switch like you. It brought me great pleasure.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll be heading up to Hershey at 4! Looking for a tailgate up there, will anyone be established in the parking lot?

go future caps!

Posted by: WritingLight | June 9, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Bon Jovi, "Raise Your Hands"
Nickelback, "Gotta Be Somebody"
Twisted Sister, "We're Not Gonna Take It"
Blackmore's Night, "Locked Within the Crystal Ball"

Posted by: kittypawz | June 9, 2009 11:12 AM |

Excellent choices kittypawz. What do you think about O.A.R's "This Town" as an addition.

Posted by: bajgirl | June 9, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure why NBC/VS is making such a big deal about Hossa leaving the Pens to go to the Wings to win a Cup. Some of you may know this, but for those of you that don't, Hossa was not a long time Penguin. He was a trade deadline acquisition last season and although Crosby had the most points last year for the Pens he only had one more than Hossa. Crosby 6 goals 21 assists 27 pts. Hossa 12 goals 14 assists 26 points.

Hossa owed Pittsburgh absolutely nothing, and if not for him, they probably wouldn't have made it to the finals last year.

Now, if Atlanta or Ottawa would have made it to the Finals last season and Hossa jumpmed ship and his former team made it to the Finals again, then I would think of him as a traitor. In Hossa's case, Pittsburgh should have just thanked him for the ride last year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 9, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yep let's just fire our current roster and everyone who has gotten us this far and bring up the entire Bears team as their replacement. Maybe Borque can even be the enforcer. Heck, we can even change the name from the Washington Capitals to the Washington Bears.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 9, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | June 9, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"what songs do you think the Caps entertainment crew should play in the arena next season?"

Anything by Maiden- specifically: Run to the Hills or Number of the Beast

Posted by: Fro_ | June 9, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

capsfan01: No one is implying the the Bears should be moved up except maybe Wendel2 who things the Caps can learn how to hustle from the Bears. I am one of the Caps faithful that took the family up to Hershey to enjoy games 3 and 4.

IMO there are a few Bears that can challenge for roster spots but none appear to be the missing pieces we need, again that is my opinion. I also think Aucoin, Bourque (even if not with us), Alzner, and Kronwall (played phenomenal IMO this past weekend) are NHL ready. Neuvirth will challenge too.

The answer to the Stanley Cup riddle isn't in Hershey, but I believe some of the boys are ready to seemlessly step in if we have to let players like ShaMo, Fehr, or Flash go via a trade or something. IMO if Steffan Kronwall can clear the crease in the NHL like he does in the AHL, we may already have our crease clearing defenseman. I know he didn't pan out in Toronto but heck Toronto's Captain ditched the organization. If Osala can crash the net at the NHL level like he does in the AHL there is one hole filled too.

The nice thing is GMGM has his eyes and the scout scouring for what we need and BB is eyeing the Bears and has proven not to be afraid to give young guys their shot.

Good luck tonight Bears, man I had a blast up there, and I am a Caps STH, WOOOOOOOOO.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling something big will happen tonight in Hershey. Everything has been so calm and quiet today, as if the whole area is conserving the excitement for less than six hours from now at puck drop. No cars have driven by yet blasting their music, just insanely calm. I've also been spotting a lot of Bears jerseys, and a sign at a local coffeehouse near my house supporting the Bears tonight.

It's definitely not going to be a shutout tonight, but it will be one helluva hockey game. Anybody who's going will be in for a real treat.

Posted by: 4RBears | June 9, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz:

Beatles "Yellow Submarine" (for whenever Crysby takes a dive...expect to hear this one often! XD).
Quiet Riot "Come on Feel the Noize", "Bang Your Head"
Sammy Hagar "Red"
Peter Gabriel "Red Rain"
The Fixx "Red Skies At Night"
Metallica "Enter Sandman" and "Nothing Else Matters"
Judas Priest "You've Got Another Ting Coming"
Blur "Song #2"
Gary Hoey "Lunatic Fringe " (this is a cover of the 1980's song by Red Ryder--it kills! You can find it on iTunes)
Electrasy "Cosmic Castaway"

On a related subject: I am trying to find someone to help me with this project 'cause I don't know how to do it myself:

For opening night, I'd like to see the Jumbotron showing a montage of every goal, hit and save by a Russian-born Caps' players in 2008-2009 season...set to a really good recording (with cannons) of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture". There coulds be some text scrolling horizontally through it in English and in Russian (player names, "Rock the Red", etc.) If the team doesn't want it, I still think it'd be cool on YouTube. What do you think?

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 9, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

fanohock you can barely figure out what you want to say so please dont pretend to know what i want to say. Reread my comment about the bears and if you still cant figure out what the meaning is ask and I'll explain it for you slowwwwwllly

Posted by: wendel2 | June 9, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Get lost wendel2. Dig up your old comments and find where you compared the Bears hustle and how the Caps could learn a thing or two from them. If you are going to say you didn't state something to that affect you are a liar and a moron. I know more about hockey than you will ever know. I have been exposed to it as a player and now a coach for over 35 years. I am a Level IV USA Hockey certified coach. That is a requirement to coach organized hockey in the United States. Take a hike.

As for Bears filling holes on the Caps my point was if Osala and Kronwall can move the type of game they play in the AHL to the NHL they can fill holes.

If you want to make someone feel like an idiot you actually drag out the "O" in, for example, sloooooooooly, that is the long "O" you moron. Thanks for putting the long "Ws" and "Ls" in there. That must mean you stutter.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 9, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

hey fanhock thats quite the resume....but point is I never said bring all the Bears up to the caps like you said I did.I said they could learn from their hustle... get your rants correct there mister Hockey USA...oh yeah were you the coach at Lake Placid too?

Posted by: wendel2 | June 9, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised that Ted and the rest of the Capital Management has not tried to telecast this series on the big screens at the "Phone Booth" and sell tickets. I am sure there will be near capacity crowd willing to attend a "Championship" sporting event, no matter what level of play. Oh well, another lost opportunity!

Posted by: JohnWWW | June 9, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

On the musical note (1812 Overture), the piece intersperses the French anthem "The Marseille" within it, symbolizing the failure of Napolean (the ruler of France at the time) to conquer Russia. In a way, the Russians are conquering hockey, a sport that used to be dominated by French Canadians. (Gee, several generations later.) BTW, I have a friend who used to organize an annual get together of friends to see the "1812 Overture" on the mall when the Army band was playing it.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 9, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I agree with you on Hossa's situation with the Pens. In many ways, it was like our situation with Matt Cooke (who we chose not to sign) or like Huet (who we wanted back but he chose Chicago) instead.

Hossa was a rental, not a long time Pen. I did wonder why he would leave the runner up for the Stanley Cup for the winner but I figure he must have compared the Pens mode of operation with the Wings and thought the Wings probably had better managemant and/or coaching and/or a better group of guys.

Glad you enjoyed the Bears game on Saturday. Hope they win tonight. (As usual, I enjoy your posts and your observations.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 9, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75:

You are absoluely right. Which is why, if I were able to produce this video, I would cue those parts of the piece to scenes of Ovechkin, Semin, Koz, & Feds deking (or Varlamov denying) numerous MTL players...LOL

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 9, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse