Morning Reading List: What If?

(John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

From the Caps' PR blog:

With Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green up for major awards at Thursday's NHL Awards Show on VERSUS, we got a little ahead of ourselves and wondered, what would it mean if they won?
- The Capitals would be the first team since the 1991-92 New York Rangers to have two players win the player of the year (Mark Messier) and defenseman of the year (Brian Leetch). In 1999-2000 St. Louis defenseman Chris Pronger won both awards.
- It would mark the first time since 1990 that two players winning the Hart and Norris trophies came from the same draft year (Mark Messier and Ray Bourque, 1979 draft class). It would be the first time that one team had a draft produce the Hart and Norris winners in one season since the 1971 Montreal Canadiens draft class (Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson won in 1977).

Click here for more.

A few morning links:

* Are the Caps the next team to ride the NHL's youth movement? From The Hockey News:

Alex Ovechkin's Washington Capitals did look pretty good this season, taking the eventual champion Penguins to the precipice before folding like a poker table in Game 7 of the second round. And the way Ovie played was certainly a good omen for the future.
Washington's ebullient superstar plowed his way to 11 goals and 21 points in just 14 playoff games, ranking him fifth overall despite playing far fewer games than those above him (all Pens and Wings). Much like Malkin, Ovechkin's first foray into the post-season (a seven-game loss to Philadelphia last year) was a learning process, but 2009 proved to be the real deal. It goes without saying Ovie is as much a force after 82 games as he is during the regular season.
So how can Washington go further next year? Ovie's got the offense (with help from Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin), so naturally the defense and goaltending come under the microscope. Jose Theodore is clearly not the answer in net and the swift rise of Simeon Varlamov will no doubt be tested during the regular season next season. Of course, this is a double-edged sword; the Caps will see what they've got in Varlamov, but so will other teams.
The defense, led by Mike Green, was done in by poor decision-making and while that's not a great omen for the future, it is something that can be fixed in time. Washington's defensemen are all either under contract for next year or restricted free agents, meaning their retention is fairly easy.

* And speaking of awards... on this date in NHL history (via the Examiner):

1994: Sergei Fedorov won the Hart Trophy as the most valuable player and the Selke trophy as the best defensive forward.

And (sorry about this one...):

1998: The Red Wings completed a four-game sweep of the Washington Capitals to win the franchise's ninth Stanley Cup.

* In other news, the Phoenix Coyotes will remain in the desert after a judge rejected Jim Balsillie's bid to buy the team. From the Canadian Press:

Judge Redfield T. Baum made his highly anticipated decision public earlier in the evening, saying in a 21-page ruling that there wasn't enough time to deal with all the unresolved issues raised by the unprecedented case.
That prompted Balsillie to offer the NHL an olive branch and propose to work with it in attempt to find "an appropriate" relocation fee to bring the club north through mediation.
But buoyed by the judgment, the league says it plans to help a future owner make the Coyotes viable in Glendale, and its claims that four parties have expressed an interest in operating the team there will now be put to the test.
"We are confident that we will be able to find such a buyer for the Coyotes," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement, "and that the claims of legitimate creditors will be addressed."

* Greg Wyshynski says Sidney Crosby's handshake line "snub" of some of the Red Wings was no big deal -- he was excited about winning the Stanley Cup. From Puck Daddy:

The notion that Crosby should have offered a hollow apology to defuse the situation is preposterous. Leave that insincerity to Letterman.
Comparing his lapse in attention with the outright disrespect shown by LeBron James in the Cavaliers' loss to the Orlando Magic during the NBA playoffs is misguided due to their divergent motivations, and ridiculous in that James was being intentionally defiant. One was a sidetracked winner; the other a sore loser.
Nail Sidney Crosby for his immaturity on this, but not his sportsmanship; there are plenty of other fine examples one can use to criticize the latter.

What do you think? Bad sportsmanship or caught up in the moment?

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 16, 2009; 9:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Bears Celebrate No. 10
Next: Catching Up With Mike Green

Comments

Brent Johnson

Posted by: puckman | June 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@stop_it: You claim to have been here reading all season. If you had been you would have seen by reading my posts that I am one of the biggest homers that always see the bright side of things when it comes to the Caps.

I bet people on this post when the Caps were down to the Rangers 3-1 that they would come back and win. I stood in front of the same seat that I sat in for 40 hockey games this season and cheered as time dripped off the clock during Game 7 against the Pens a month ago. I never bi''h about my Caps because I am one of those fans that have gone to see them play through the good and bad. It is awesome to see these guys getting this turned around because the final game of the 06-07 season against the Sabres was gut wrenching for all of us fans that attended. We had to listen to thousands of Sabres fans, in our own damn stadium, chant SEASONS OVER, OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I was also at the playoff game that the Caps pulled Carey against the Pens, Olie (#2 at the time) came in and blew his knee out after 1 save. The Caps ended up losing game 6 7-1 and the series 4-3. Why do I bring up the painful history? Because I appreciate what we have here now. We have a true contender that needs a few tweaks and correct plug-ins from the Bears. I won't pretend to know who we need exactly, but I can tell you that I will be back in the same seats that have my butt inprints, all 4 seats. Thank GOD I was financially capable of securing those seats before other fans in the area decided they wanted in on the best game in town.

Calling me a moron was totally unnecessary. The hatred towards the Pens have definitely turned many Caps fans into bitter bitter fans. Like I said in my last post, fans from the West feel the Red Wings get away with calls too. Before the Pens/Red Wings series started my circle of hockey fans ended up making a call that ended up being dead on. We said the penalty calls would be even up, and when penalites became excessive it would be at a point when it would not impact the game. The end of Game 2, and the end of Game 5 were perfect examples of that.

Sorry, playing me now won't prove anything. I'm in my 40's, have had 3 knee operations, been rode hard and put away wet way too many times after a 20 year career in the military. I'll have to take your word that you are a good player.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

@fanohock: Had to admire Kolzig for wanting to stick around. After the fire sale, the young defense certainly made him show his age (and probably rapidly aged him). By the time we were finally decent again, he was in denial, thinking he was still a #1, when he was only of back-up quality. Still a class act.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | June 16, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@hockeyweasel: Absolutely. I totally supported BB putting Olie on the bench once Huet came here and caught fire but Olie was still upset because as you said, I believe he still thought he was #1 quality. As a matter of fact Brent Johnson was playing better hockey than Kolzig when Huet came over. The Caps definitely showed him loyalty by not having him go to #3 during the playoffs and stretch run last season. It's too bad he left on such a sour note because if he is interested it would be nice to see him in the system as a coach or scout.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

As much as I dislike Crosby for his spears, slashes, and cross-checks away from the play I have to admit he is among the top 10 players in league, hands down. With that being said, he is only 21 years old and probably got caught up in the moment. Probably really had no idea what to do even though he was probably briefed in the even they won. Think about it though, how many of you with kids 18-24 can remember telling them EXACTLY what the procedure is for something and they honestly forget? It happens with my kids and players all the time.

Hopefully the Pens will have a little run like Lemieux and Jagr did and then come up unexpectedly short in many other attempts. On the other hand let's hope the Caps are building themselves a dynasty that will win for years to come as the Red Wings have done.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Caught up in the moment.

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Crosby - I will remember him this way after this playoff

- Going vocal about not liking Ovechkins style of plat and celebrations
- Hat-Gate...Please stop throwing hats
- Slash on Datsyuk's ankle..cheap and dirty
- Not shaking hands...

Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice..shame on me...

He didnt fool me twice...he is a prick...

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

agreed, caught up in the moment.

Posted by: fullright | June 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

He was clearly caught up in the moment. He has never done anything like that before in any series he had won or lost. And for the winner to skip the handshake line makes no sense, other than he was caught up in the excitement of the moment.

As an aside, another tidbit about the awards. No player who has ever won two Harts or two Pearsons has ever not made it to the Hall of Fame. If Ovie wins either/or both of these awards does that mean a player four years into a career is a HOF shoe-in? It should be noted only two HOF eligible players to ever win the Hart or Pearson have not made it to the Hall and of those not eligible yet (recently retired or still active) there are two that have won the award and are not HOF shoe-ins, IMO, Eric Lindros and Martin St. Louis.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 16, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, may previous answer doesn't mean that I don't concur with SA-Town's assessment of Crosby's personality.

I have been blessed to have coached some very talented players in the area. Some of the talented players raise a team's confidence and fellow team mates play by motivating them by giving them constructive help, yelling at them when needed and it helps raise the play of everyone that touches the ice with them. Then you have the superstar that starts pointing fingers when things aren't going well, tells a team mate that they suck, our team sucks, etc, which ultimately makes your team less effective. When you coach higher level teenagers the assistance of your top players are an important tool.

IMO Crosby is the latter of the two examples. You just have to look at players facial expressions to see what they think of him. Yesterday I saw some still photos of the Pens with the Cup and Crosby looks like he's screaming and Staal has a look on his face like he'd like to tell him to shut the F up. Not quite the looks you see the Caps players give Ovi.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

someone should have told crosby to go to the handshake line, or he should have just thought of it himself since hes 'mr. traditional old-time hockey'.

Posted by: gfsportsfan | June 16, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Wapo:

It's time to get Crosby off the front page of your Caps blog....

Posted by: NJNJ | June 16, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Where was Crosby when the ship was sinking? No leadership...

I dont think he didnt shake on purpose...butt when you have your head up your own rear, these type of examples add up.

He is the Barry Bonds of hockey. He will soon have his own dressing room. he lives with Lemieux because none of the other guys like him, and want to get a place with him...

I also noticed when things were bad, no one would stand up for him in a scrum..they let him be..the captain and superstar should not be mixing it up..he had to, because he had no back from his boys.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

things from this season to remember about crosby.....

-punching that guy in the junk from behind
-jumping McLean off the faceoff
-being a tool

Posted by: _stevo | June 16, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I think it was bad sportsmanship. Sure he was caught up in the moment but that didnt stop the other 25 guys on his team from getting in the line. And he then skates over to teammates that had already gone through the line before actually getting in the line. Not a single other player on his team did this.

I think the kid is a great hockey player and a lot is expected of him. Is it hard to live up to expectations, sure. Everything he does is done under a microscope and he should know that. This isn't his first year in the league. I know its his first championship, but it was the first championship for many others on the team that did the right thing and got in the line.

Posted by: ThePat | June 16, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Caught up in the moment?? He's the freakin' Captain of his team. He should have been the FIRST GUY IN LINE. It's called leading by example, and in my opinion he sets a pretty poor example.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 16, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm casting my ballot for Crosby being an immature tool. Caught up in the moment? No offense, but I would imagine he's watched more than his share of Stanley Cup games to know about the teams filing past each other to shake hands. I think the Penguins have spent a better part of the year watching Crosby develop his reputation for being an a$$hat, I'd think they'd have tried to remind him, "Hey, Sydney. Try not being a tool tonight." Nevertheless, I would imagine they forgot and Crosby did what he does best and that's be a total, disrespectful, self-centered, tool. Great job, Crosby. Excuses, excuses.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and yeah, please remove the picture of Crosby from the main page for the Capitals Insider. The taste of vomit in my mouth in the mornings when it pops up is getting old. Please, Tarik? Please, Lindsay? Please, Katie? Anyone? =(

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

After winning the cup, Crosby showed his immaturity and lack of experience, just as he has done throughout his short NHL career. No big deal. Except for the ridiculous custom of giving the captain's "C" to the guy that scores the most goals instead of a guy that exhibits the qualities of leadership. When a team captain screws up the way Crosby did, it is even more embarrassing for the team when he is wearing the "C". Chris Clark would never make a stupid mistake like that.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | June 16, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Low class fan bases deserve low class superstars.

Stanley Cup or not...Thank God Ted locked those bums out of Verizon Center this playoff series.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

When I think "captain", I will always remember a particular game in Hershey some years ago. I don't remember the specific year. It was during our affiliation with the Avalanche. Brad Larsen was our captain that year. The Bears got knocked out of the playoffs; I think it was in the first round. Brad lead the handshake line, and then as his teammates tried to head for the locker room, he stood at the tunnel and stopped them. He waited till the referees and the other team left the ice, and then he lead the Bears to center ice where they lifted their sticks to salute the fans. I'm sure Brad and the guys were disappointed with losing and wanted nothing more than to make a quick exit, but Brad showed pure class in what he did. That to me is what a captain does. I've been a Brad Larsen fan ever since. I will never be a Crosby fan.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 16, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Chris Clark would never make a stupid mistake like that.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | June 16, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

That's assuming Chris Clark can stay healthy to GET to the playoffs.

Seriously folks, it's a non-story. Move along.

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I can understand the petty jealousy toward Crosby when all you have to cling to is an empty bag of NOvie, but to suggest that Staal has nothing but the utmost respect for his captain is just inane. And SA-Town, he lives with Lemieux for the family atmosphere. That's a stark contrast to NOvie, speeding around town in dark sunglasses giving interviews where he's dissing American women. I know your star and your morbidly obese greaseball owner are not much to look at, but get a clue.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

If anyone is interested in seeing the picture I was talking about in regards to Staal looking at Crosby kind of annoyed, it is on NHL.com right now. It is the picture used in the "Chapions Gear" window.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Honestly? I think he was caught up in the moment on that one, but there's lots of little examples all through the season where he has been less than a class act. That probably comes with maturity, but he doesn't respond gracefully under pressure and hasn't all year.

I agree with fanohock1: You can see what his teammates really think of him in their interactions. There's no doubt that he is in the top ten players in this league - as a player. As a person, he's got a lot of growing up to do before I'll think much of him. I suspect it will come with time, but I also suspect that he simply doesn't have much in the way of charisma or an engaging personality, and these little lapses only hurt. I don't think he's got any business with the letter on his jersey - I think he plain and fancy isn't ready. I wasn't ready at 21 either.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 16, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Crosby is a young guy with a lot of talent and very little exuberance in his personality. He has been a poor sport and unable to think about the other guy's point of view (witness when Ovie had the death threat on the blog against him, Crosby was asked to comment, and all he could talk about was himself) or to give credit to others (witness his reluctance to say that Varlamov had exhibited great skill during the playoffs). That he didn't immediately get in line to shake hands is inexcusable. It's not his first GAME, for heaven's sake. Getting in line to shake hands is automatic for any player who has played as long as Crosby has. Ridiculous to excuse him for not getting in line till the very last minute.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | June 16, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66: Good lord, you're still here? Ovechkin's still a better player and a better human being than Crosby will ever be, and a Cup doesn't change that, because hockey's a team sport. At least Ovi's team backs him in a confrontation :)

Crosby's a fantastic hockey player. No doubt about it. But he's still a kid, and it shows when he's in the hot seat.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 16, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

He lives with Lemieux because he is a mental child. Can you find one player in the NHL that was living in the basement of the owner?

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

pretty hilarious photo from the Pens cup celebration.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | June 16, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Jumpy66: You can leave now, shouldn't you be gloating on a Red Wings board. By the way Ovi's mom spent a lot of the season here cooking for Ovi and the other young Russians. Varly even mentioned that Ovi's mom would do things for the Russians and that Ovi was helpful with his transition to DC. Ovi's Mom attended many of the games, playoffs and regular season so Ovi wasn't running the streets like a madman. He's actually known as quite the sleeper, loves his long naps on game days.

By the way the family atmosphere balony was heard by everyone watching the broadcast.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Crosby should know better and there is no excuse for not being first in line for handshakes. He is a classless little prick.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 16, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66: Please, elaborate, on these observations you've made about Ovi and his disrespecting American women and the obvious offense you have with him driving around in sunglasses.

Oh, and for the record, family atmosphere? Unless you're the butler or the cook, I don't see how you could possibly make that assertion. I wouldn't mind reading the newspaper/magazine article where Ms. Crosby makes that statement that he feels at home with the Lemieuxs. Do enlighten us.

Sadly, too, Jumpy. We're actually fans of the game of hockey and our team the Washington Capitals for their skill. Our utmost apologies we don't have Ovi's pictures nor Mr. Leonsis' pictures, hanging up in our office cubicles from their porny GQ layout. I'd imagine that made your day when you got Crosby's GQ issue, huh? *snicker* With respect to Ovi and Mr. Leonsis, even they're not stupid enough to degrade themselves that way. But then again, we're talking about Crosby.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Crosby should have been in the line. There are a myriad of excuses that could be made for him, but that does not excuse him from that responsibility.

That being said, LeBron's actions were much worse...

Posted by: BT23 | June 16, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't it Max Talbot that slashed Datsyuk's foot?

I just think its hilarious that Crosby complained about Ovechkin's celebrations when Crosby himself had jumped into the glass in a game against Philly the game before the quote.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | June 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66: If you like, I could print out and frame that picture Sombreroguy shared with you. It's a classy picture there. Maybe you could give a copy to Crosby to show him how proud his fans are of his win of the Stanley Cup. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That empty bag of Novie is the clear cut MVP voted, by his piers, writers, fans, and Crosby and Malkins parents.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Please trade Ovechkin to an organization that knows how to win. He is too good of a player to waste his career in Washington. He deserves to play for a winner.

Posted by: bndra12 | June 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy

That pic is hilarious. Please we have to get some of those blown up and held behind the Pens bench next season....Classic...

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

anyone doing the Virginia Capitals license plate? looks awesome, think I'll do it. they still need 190 to sign up or something like that on washingtoncaps.com

Posted by: my92agsr | June 16, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

My dislike of Crosby the person is well known. The whole not leading the handshake line isn't helping. HOWEVER, one of the reasons Gonchar is there and Guerin was brought in was to provide some actually leadership from veteran players. Why on earth did one of those older guys not tap Crosby on the shoulder and say "Hey, time for the handshake, let's go"?

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@ RedBirdie

They were already in line and I am sure figured he was too because thats where he should have been.

Posted by: ThePat | June 16, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Once again Crosby shows his true colors...nice going, Sid the Id.

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 16, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Actually Crosby was in the line. If you watch the end of the game highlights you'll see that just 3 and a half minutes after the end of the game, he's shown shaking the hands of the Red Wings. What was he doing during those 3 and half minutes? Celebrating, yes, but he was also stopped by NBC to do a live interview. There was no disrespect of the Red Wings. I understand they don't want to wait three minutes to do the handshake, but to complain about it afterward? Please. If the Wings had won and Crosby went through the handshake line before Zetterberg or Draper got there and then mentioned it to the press, the anti-Sid crowd would be all over him. It's fine if you don't like him, but it's gotten to the point where you people find fault with everything he does.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | June 16, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@bndra12: I think you're missing something, apart from 1st period Algebra. Ovechkin is already playing for an organization that knows how to win, which would account for their 2nd place ranking in the Eastern Conference.

Now, run along, little one and try not to wet yourself. Enjoy recess!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Bad sportsmanship. As CAPTAIN of the winning team, Sid should have made it his first priority to go shake hands with the losing team, before the interviews and accepting the trophy. Instead, he made excuses.

Posted by: AmyS1 | June 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

There's one good thing about Pittsburgh beating Detroit for the Stanley Cup -- free agents won't be giving Detroit a big discount so that they can play on a Stanley-Cup winning team, like Marian Hossa did. Now the Caps may have as good a shot as any in negotiating for the services of free agents.

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | June 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Even Henrik Zetterberg called Crobsy's actions disrespectful.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 16, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@LionelMandrake

He shook hands with 4 Red Wing players and the coaching staff. That is it. No one else on his team acted in this manner they were all in the line at the right time. I noticed it all as it happened and was the first one to post about it after the game. I went back and watched the DVR to make sure what I saw actually happened.

He stayed and talked to managent or a group of trainers or something down by the goal line. And then skated over to the bench where the players were gathering after they had already gone through the line. Could he have been caught up in a moment sure, but its pretty hard to be caught up in a moment and not see 50 guys going through a handshake line and not think to yourself damn arent I supposed to be in that line.

Is this whole thing being overblown by us? Absolutely. But the fact of the matter is that it did happen, and he messed up. People shouldn't make excuses for him, because when excuses are made the kid won't learn anything.

To that end, its now 5 days after it happened and we should not be talking about it anymore. It is a waste of time. The season is over for all 30 teams. Let's move onto looking towards next season and talking about all the possibilities, other than what the hell is going to happen with Nylander because that too has been talked about way too much.

Posted by: ThePat | June 16, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Sean Avery was disgusted with Crosby's lack of sportsmanship.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Sidney is too immature to be a captain. He has potential, but he needs seasoning that only comes with time. I can't see Steve Yzerman ever forgetting to shake the opponent's hand, and it is that captain I judge all others by.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | June 16, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If Ovechkin did not shake hands with one of his opponents after the Stanley Cup, the entire Pittsburgh media, Don Cherry & so could purest would be all over him & criticizing him for doing so. Crosby is a captain - he must lead by example like Ovechkin. If they claim it was an error because of his youth, then he should not be the captain & learn from older players. I am not a fan of Crosby & not a fan of his antics, however, I've always been told he is a good sportsman - in my opinion, he has not proved it - when he does, I still won't be a fan of his, but that will be because he is a Penguin & a rival of Ovechkin.

Posted by: vacaps | June 16, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AmyS1 | June 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

These grapes...so sour...

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Even Henrik Zetterberg called Crobsy's actions disrespectful.

as if I needed another reason to love Zetters :)

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Actually Section 117, these aren't sour grapes. Sour grapes refers to having an insincere change of heart. This is just plain old whining. There's always a section of the population who won't be happy with someone no matter what they do. Even Nik Lidstorm (and he's one tough nut, isn't he) said it was no big deal, but it won't stop the anti-Sid crowd. He could run into a burning building and save a family and all their pets but these people would still find something to complain about. It's sad, really.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | June 16, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Crosby didn't show poor sportsmanship, but he did show how self absorbed he is by neglecting the handshakes. And the Red Wings bitterness at it just shows how unpopular around the league Crosby really is. As for Caps awards, I hope Ovie wins but not Green. He wasn't the best defenseman and I don't think that winning that award would be a positive in terms of his future career development. He needs to keep a level head.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 16, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ovie should win MVP, though I would have Malkin a very very close second. Ovie is undisputedly the best goal scorer of our day. Malkin is a pretty good goal scorer, but a better passer and much better 2-way player. Add in the Conn Smythe (which doesn't count in MVP consideration), and it's a reasonably close call with the edge to Ovie.

I don't think Green should win. He's was a great goal scorer this year, but pretty average (generous assessment, IMO) on defense.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Crosby was wrong. Period. I know that the tv people were clamouring to get him, but so what? He needs to act like a captain, say "give me two minutes" to the tv people and go act like a captain.

With that being said...it's over and done with. As they say...he is what he is.

Of course, his owner (and landlord) is a shining example of selfishness. Go back to when Lemieux was drafted by Pittsburgh and refused to put the sweater on (it was like when Lindros being drafted by Quebec, minus having mommy and daddy as your agent as Herr Lindros did).

It was Lemieux who decided to spoon with Balsillie (when anyone with half a brain could have told him that Balsillie wanted to relocate the team) back during Crosby's rookie year, and yet...there's Mario trying to pull off this "I love the city" canard.

His career...shockingly jealous of Gretzky, wanted special treatment at pretty much every corner (would have never gone to the Olympics if he hadn't been made captain), and numerous cases where he flat out bailed on international tournaments. Demanded to be "appointed" captain rather than through a vote by the club (sort of how they did it with the current team's captain).

Posted by: jcurrin | June 16, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@LionelMandrake: Now don't twist Lidstrom's words. He never said it was no big deal.

From the TSN story: "You know you're happy and celebrating with your teammates," Lidstrom said. "But you know the losing team wants to get off the ice too. ... Sidney was probably caught up in the emotions and everything."

Lidstrom added Crosby would learn from the situation.

------

It doesn't appear Lidstrom felt Crosby didn't do something wrong based on the above quote. He was being a mature, politically correct Captain. If he was not upset by the situation he would have said so, instead he said that Crosby would learn from it.

@bndra12: I am insulted you even picked that screen name. If Washington is such a bad place to play why was Bondra so emotional about being traded to Ottawa? By the way he still lives in Maryland and gets a huge ovation when he attends games. I know it's a free country but I would never go to another team's post, or newspaper, and pick Crosby's, Malkin's, Francis', or Lemieux's name and number for my screen name.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Is Bondra involved in hockey at all? I always liked that guy.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

P.S. FFS ... the game was Friday. You're still talking about a handshake line?

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Bondra is the GM of the Slovakian national team, I believe. In addition to being close to the current Capitals management and coming to games and doing autograph sessions and stuff like that.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

PensFan98: I think the Caps recently hired him as a scout. He's been involved with hockey as a Dad. His oldest son played for the Washington Jr. Nationals hockey club this past season.

I honestly had the pleasure of meeting him face to face about a year and a half ago because a buddy of mine had a son on Team MD with Bondra's and they carpooled to road games (too expensive for our family). I was shooting the bull with my friend when Bondra walked over to wait for us to get done, he never interupted or acted like we should stop talking for him. He was really down to earth. I quietly told him that he was the Ovi of the 90's for us Caps fans and he shook my hand and thanked me for the compliment.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Nylander in the same atmosphere. Even while in a slump this season he was really cool and didn't act like I was intruding on his personal time when I talked to him. Of course I make sure I don't ask crazy questions and didn't ask for an autograph.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

pensfan98 - yes, the game was friday - crosby is a dbag - this is a caps message board - regardless of the fact that its the washington post and 98% of pittsburgh has since left there home town and moved to dc - its still a caps board - so in reality - why are you here?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm here because I like the Caps.

I am a 20-year hardcore Pens fan, but have enjoyed watching (and going to) Caps games for several years. I enjoy going to Bears games too, as it's not much of a drive for me. And with HDTV and DirecTV, I watch the Caps whenever the Pens aren't on.

In a nutshell, they're kind of my second favorite team.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

fanohock ... that's a cool story in meeting Bondra. He always seemed so classy, and I was thinking that he'd be a natural for some sort of official position with the Caps. They sometimes show him at games on Comcast SportsNet, and he always appears to be very fan-friendly.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@PensFan98: Then I would imagine you'd understand if a little respect is shown to the Capitals fans who are in here and have their opinion to share with other Capitals fans, good or bad and whether you agree with them or not.

There's nothing sportsmanlike and honorable in how Crosby carries himself and how certain pockets of the media and the NHL turn the other way when Crosby not only disrespects the sport itself but other teams and other traditions.

Capitals fans can vent about this matter on this message board for however long they want, regardless of whether you want us to move along to other topics. Once it's out of our system, we'll gladly move on. Until then, hold your condescending judgmental attitude to yourself. Thanks.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
Do you physically feel pain when you are painfully wrong? ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 16, 2009 6:50 AM |

I don't get it?

My last post said that it doesn't really matter if Emery or Biron is better. So lets suspend that aside. I gave you the reasons why the Flyers did what they did. If I was wrong about any of those points, I would like you to tell me why.

Here is the post for reference:

Suffice to say, we (especially me) are getting a bit off course here. I personally think the Flyers made some smart moves to get a solid #1 without having to compromise any of their players. (Emery, Backlund, and rumors are now that they are looking at Robert Esche..which is sort of funny) Keep in mind, the Flyers have/had probably the worst Cap situation in all of hockey last year. (They traded Upshall for Carcillo JUST so they could keep Giroux up under the cap with Briere off LTIR)

If they had to re-sign Biron, for undoubtedly more money, they would be even more screwed by the Cap.

Whether or not Emery is a better goalie ( I think it is pretty clear, others seem to disagree), the Flyers had to do something to fix their Cap. Either resign Biron and trade their players or go for a cheaper #1 (and potentially better) and not trade their players.
Posted by: richmondphil | June 15, 2009 4:27 PM |

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry leftcoast. No can do.

I do try to be respectful for the most part ... but calling out droning is something that I imagine I'll continue to do from time to time. I do it on the Pens board too, by the way.

Equal Opportunity Caller-outer Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 12:30 PM |

Yep.

I love Bondra, but I think everyone here knows that. (and loves him just as much)

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@LionelMandrake: Until we hear about Crosby's humanitarian efforts, I doubt our opinion of him will change. So far, all I've got is he's prone to pulling sweaters over an opposing player's head at the start of a face off, he's prone to taking cheap shots at a player from behind while they're occupied with another player, and oh look, he's got a problem with the hat trick tradition and the handshake line after a big game like the Stanley Cup.

Yeah, so far I'm not finding anything positive of the guy. There's more than enough people giving him credit for his hockey skills but yeah, outside of that, he's a moron in my book. And I think a good majority of people, fans and players alike, feel the same way. *shrug* We can't all be wrong.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 12:20 PM |

He was actually pretty stellar during his second half of the regular season. (when he stopped pinching all the time)

He disappeared during the playoffs, but lets be honest. The Norris hasn't pretty much an offensive inclined trophy for many years now. Green or Lidstrom.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@PensFan98

It's time for Scuderi to get paid...Who do you hope he plays for next year?

What about Guerin, will you boo him when he comes back to town in a Bruins jersey?

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Max Talbot will probably get traded as well.

He's too good to be a chumpy 4th line center.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

screw crysby! "give me a break, I was caught up in the moment." this is the same d-bag that was whining about us Caps fans for throwing hats on the ice for Ovie's hat trick. seriously a-hole, while Bettman may suck your toes, you can't have it your way all the time.

nice, you get to raise the cup because your teammate Talbot did all of the heavy lifting. i am so sick of hearing about this a-hole.

Posted by: doughless | June 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

And (sorry about this one...):

Ouch......

Worst two games I have ever had to go to.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What do you think? Bad sportsmanship or caught up in the moment?
----
Being as I turned off the TV at the final buzzer, I'm not qualified to render an opinion.

However, "bad sportsmanship" reigned the playoffs and Crosby was front and center of that. This is the guy who complained about fans throwing hats on the ice after a hat trick. Face of the league? Nope, just the sour face of bad sportsmanship.

I am very tired of his age being used as an excuse for his bad behavior. If he can't man up, follow protocol, and be an example to his teammates, then he should not be the team captain.

That being said, I hope the Post and Caps fans can find something else to talk about for the next 4 months.

Posted by: CapsChick | June 16, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green was a +24, tied for 5th among defensemen. Lidstrom was +31, and Chara +23. The crazy +50 something numbers are a thing of the past in a league that feels goal scoring is what makes games exciting. Goals are cool, but a 2-1 game with minutes remaining is edge of your seat excitement too. If someone wants to claim it's not I will use Game 6 and 7 of the SC Finals as an example.

Mike does have a few flaws but he matches up well against the competition. Let's hope that even if he wins, and he has a great shot, that he will still work to perfect his game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how excited you are to win the Stanley Cup. You get in line, represent your team as its CAPTAIN!!!, and shake hands with the other team like a good sportsman. But, as a lot of us are finding out, Crosby is not an example of good sportsmanship. Whining, crying, complaining. He's a great and talented player, but like Crash Davis said about Nuke Laloosh in "Bull Durham", Crosby has a million dollar skill set and a 5 cent head.

I remember when Stevie Y won the Cup for the 1st time in 97. He shook hands with the other team. Seemed more than happy to do so, actually. You could see the other team was happy for him.

Remember when Ray Bourque won it with Colorado? I can't remember an opposing team that honestly pleased for an opposing player to have won a championship. That brought tears to my eyes.

Since entering the league, Crosby has racked up a number of similar incidents. I've heard people make excuses for him, and I realize that some benefit of the doubt is deserved in a lot of these cases.(Young, forced into the spotlight, immature.) But how many times do these incidents have to happen before we realize it isn't a coincidence or a mistake, but an example of Crosby's personality and make up?

What he did was unprofessional and selfish. He gets to have the cup for what, a whole week to himself? He had time to shake hands with the Wings and should have.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 16, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

here is a good read regarding the top 30 free agents for this summer. Kovalev anyone?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

There is no way in hell we can afford Kovalev, and why anyway? We have people filling his role already.

Plus, I am 100% Kovalev will re-sign with the Habs, and they will dump Koivu.

We need forward who do the work our players don't do now, not more pretty finesse russians.

Hudler. If Wings go for Hossa, they will not be able to afford Hudler.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@ SA Town

Gill, Sykora, and Satan (combined +8m) will all be gone, so I'm hoping Scuderi and Guerin can be re-signed. You're certainly correct about Scuderi being in line for a big pay raise.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 16, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope to GOD we don't pick up Gill. He is slow and interferes with players just about every time they dump the puck past him. If he pulls that tactic while wearing Caps colors he's in the box. Once he would finally learn he can't get away with it he will get burned and probably another expensive healthy scratch. No one mentioned Gill here today, but his name has been mentioned. It would be cool in the Pens overlooked Scuderi and the Caps wanted him, or course his agent is going to look for more money than he's worth with a nice shiney ring on his finger.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

We need a "Kunitz" or "Holmstrom" type to crash the net to play along side Ovi. Let's face it, Ovi shoots and having a body there to pick up rebounds would be nice.

Posted by: stop_it | June 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Fedatenko, Scuderi and Guerin will cost 8 mil combined.

So you just need a back up goalie and replacement for Craig Adams?

Posted by: SA-Town | June 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz and Homstrom both aren't available.... That is why I, ya know, dropped an actual name that could be acquirable...

Juri Hudler.

Gill is slow and stupid. These were my exact words in response to someone asking about Gill.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

related to the knock on Mike Green's defense, he's better than people give him credit for. The goal scoring over shadows his defense.

"He was second on the Caps in blocked shots (Milan Jurcina), first in takeaways among the D, and had the best five-on-five +/-ON/60 of any defenseman in the League (minimum forty games played).

Finally, while Bruce Boudreau didn't use him as often as others on the penalty kill (and he when he was used, it was against weaker opposition), Green had the best GAON/60 of any skater on the team four-on-five (minimum one minute of penalty killing time per game), and the best GAON/60 of any skater in the entire League who killed at least 2.3 minutes of penalties per game."

Posted by: SombreroGuy | June 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't really care if they win petty awards. The Cup is all that matters.

Posted by: FancyDan | June 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stop_it | June 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Exactly.
And we need Mike Green and Alex Semin to start playing a more honest game at both ends of the ice.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The Caps can't seriously look at Pens defensemen that aren't resigned. All these guys are going to command more money than they are worth and you have to question their intensity going into next season having just won the cup.

Gil blows. The only reason he wasn't called for interferencec on every single dump in was because it's the playoffs.

As for being a Pens and a Caps fan at the same time...impossible. It's like me saying I like the Skins but my second favorite team is the Cowboys.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

what I've got for the Pens next year is a $46,835,000 cap hit. The following members of the 2008-2009 team are not included because of their FA status (current salary):
Guerin ($4.5m)
Satan ($3.5m) obviously, this cap hit changed because of the whole waivers thing late in the season
Sykora ($2.5m)
Fedotenko ($2.25m)
Adams ($600,000)
Boucher ($2.5m)
Gil ($2m+change)
Scuderi ($712,000)
Garon ($1.1m)

Now, if all those guys signed for the same they made, its just under $20 million. With the salary cap, that can't work. Sykora is goners, Satan, too, probably. But the Pens would still have to sign replacements, probably cheaper and not as good. Who knows what Fedotenko's deal is. Guerin could probably command a decent salary given that he was key to turning the season around. Those three D men aren't chumps (well, they are but that's another conversation....) and Scuderi in particular is goign to want a good pay raise. Garon you can replace with a much cheaper guy.

But the Penguins that take the ice on opening night next season are going to look quite a bit different than the team that was in Detroit on Friday.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Talbot will probably be traded to get some return.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Crosby is immature. Which is why he shouldn't be captain.

Posted by: easytoslip | June 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

It was an incidental thing, get over it.

Wait, don't get over it, and continue to whine over things that happened days and weeks ago.

The season's over, move to the next phase.

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
Relax! I was just kidding (hence the ";-)"). It's just that you kept saying it was "clear" that Emery was better than Biron and Jose (and had some comments early on to say that he was basically light years better), yet you didn't back it up, making your position much more subjective than objective. When no one overtly agreed with you (that I recall?) and a few actually disagreed, I just couldn't resist ribbing you a bit. That's all. You know me - no harm, no foul - just havin' a little fun. Nonetheless, "clearly" we will have to agree to disagree on this one!! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

117:

LOL - you crack me up!! You get so tweaked over people not getting over it ... maybe it's time for you to get over them not getting over it?!? ;-)

And I say that with all due respect, my friend!!

Cheers! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

117 - The last line of the article today asked the question:

What do you think? Bad sportsmanship or caught up in the moment?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 16, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Nah.

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

117:
HA! So are you caught up in the moment or being a bad sport?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

If the moment is telling people that the season's over, yeah.

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Bad sportsmanship. You should show respect to your competition. They fought and played hard as well. A sore winner is just as bad as a sore loser.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 16, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

117:
Well rather than focusing on that, how about bringing something new to the table. Watcha got? Off-season wish list? Best/worst moments of 08/09? Come on - I know you've got all sorts of stuff swirling around in that noggin of yours!

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It's cute they had out trophies to the losers too. Like a kid's soccer tournament. Just in case OV wins Hart, be sure to remember, Conn Smythe > Hart

Posted by: NoVAHockey | June 16, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh is getting pretty good at this victory parade stuff. But then, practice makes perfect.

Posted by: sean1smith | June 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Best brew to accompany watching the awards ceremony?

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Iron City Beer!

Posted by: sean1smith | June 16, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny that there are so many Pens fans on here telling us to let it go, to forget what happened a few days/weeks/months. You guys still whine about Ovie taking runs at your boys and that was last year! Not to mention the fact that you are still here, running your mouths about how we should shut up.

I think that secretly, even though you all are in denial, you know what we think and say about Crosby is true and you feel compelled to defend him. None of us talk crap about Jordan Staal or Malkin or Fleurey because those guys are not only good players but also have enough class to not whine and to shake hands at the end of the Finals.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What are these Pens fans doing here anyway? I thought we didn't have a rivalry?

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"But, I understand how life in Pittsburgh sucks most of the year and if weren't for the Steelers and now the Pens, your city would be irrelevant and would have been abandoned years ago. If this makes you feel better about you pathetic, dirty, backwater "city", than go ahead and say all you want."

Wasn't Pittsburgh was rated the most livable city in the U.S. by the Economist in their most recent ranking? What bothered you so much about the city when you last visited it?

Posted by: LionelMandrake | June 16, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Malkin showed his true character in the finals. He's a baby and a cheap shot artist. What respect I had for him is gone.

Jordan Staal:
Discuss

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

OK seriously, I think people on here need to give it a rest. Someone brings up the fact that teh Pens won it all and the next thing you hear from a Caps fan is either conspiracy, how much someone sucks or how Pittsburgh is a steamy pile of doo-doo. Next time someone comes on here and says something and you want to get all up in arms about how you think we got the raw deal, do us all a favor and don't.

Posted by: superpaqman | June 16, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I highly doubt that city was voted most livable. There are no jobs there. So many young people upon graduation move from there to DC. I have about 20 friends from that area that have all moved here and they all say its a miserable place to live.

Posted by: ThePat | June 16, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

It isn't a rivalry until you win something!

Posted by: sean1smith | June 16, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Let it go and move on.

Posted by: Section117 | June 16, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

That being said, I wouldnt vote DC anywhere close to being most livable. I love this place, but it is quite often a pain in the ass to live around here.

Posted by: ThePat | June 16, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LionelMandrake | June 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@Moose33:
"Maybe add a fair priced free agent or get a player through a trade to fill a hole but I want to see some Bears come up and make some noise."

Exactly! What's the point of having a farm system, and a winning one at that, if you're not going to harvest the crops?

Posted by: tess2201 | June 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

as livable as Pittsburgh may be for those with higher educations and jobs in the limited sectors that offer employment in Pittsburgh, the fact is the city still has problems for those who do not have college degrees or above, and are not employed by the health care or education fields.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@LionelMandrake

It is listed as the most livable because everything there is cheap and they are trying to entice people to return to the city it sounds like by that type of ranking. They want to get the economy going there again. I think that probably has a lot to do with that type of ranking.

Posted by: ThePat | June 16, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bad Sportsmanship

Posted by: digster1013 | June 16, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Uh, not quite, Pat. If you're really interested you can check this out:

It's a survey of livable cities worldwide.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | June 16, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

OK. The Caps haven't won anything yet. Go to the Wings boards and write there. They won the cup from you last year and you won it this year. You must have a rivalry there then.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

And the Economist is a British rag. What do they know about US cities, anyway?

Sorry, Dave.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
Lucky for you Dave is out of pocket this week, otherwise you would be in trouble!! ;-) BTW, replied to your emails today - did those get lost in la la land, too?!?

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

LionelMandrake - please explain why thousands of people move from Pittsburgh to _____(insert town). I know tons of people from Pittsburgh who live in the DC suburbs, but I dont know anyone who moved from here to Pittsburgh. Why is this? Because Pittsburgh is a dump.

I'm guessing you live here as well, which is why you read the Post online.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 16, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Yup, I do live here. I actually grew up here. I've been reading the Post in print and on-line all my life. The first hockey game I ever attended was Caps-Blackhawks at the Cap Center back in 1980. I remember exactly where I was when John Riggins made his run in 1983.

This is my second stint in DC. I've been fortunate enough to live in many cities in the U.S. And believe me, Pittsburgh is a very nice town. And so is D.C. And I've known a lot of people who also moved to Pittsburgh from D.C. There is a lot of that between the two towns. D.C. does get more from Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania, though. And why shouldn't it? This is the nation's capital. A lot of people from all over the U.S., and the world, want to come here because of the federal government and all is has to offer. I mean, people don't come to D.C. for the humidity. But it's like that in the northeast corridor. DC, Philly, NYC, Boston. All have a lot of people moving in and out. Mobility is a great thing and living in many places really broadens the mind.

So how are all you xenophobes going to deal with the BoSox fans when they descend in mass on Nats Park next week?

Posted by: LionelMandrake | June 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't let those who are stuck living in the D.C. area make it sound appealing. There's a reason educated professionals like myself moved into, and right back out of, the Washington area. Actually there are several reasons: the high cost of housing (even when adjusted for income), lousy humid climate, snarling traffic and high crime (including D.C.'s notoriously high murder rate). It's one of the country's most transient cities, because most people realize that while it may be fun as a twentysomething, it's no place to raise a family.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I was raised here and turned out alright. Love it. I wouldn't consider myself "stuck" in any way. I came back after college and a stint in Minneapolis. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

By handing out homemade parking tickets to all the idiots who ignore the "Resident Parking Only" signs on my street, just like it did to all those self-important Mets fans.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 16, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm just asking if its the most livable city in the US, why does everyone from Pittsburgh leave Pittsburgh the first chance they get? I know why - because its a dump.

Ted did a good job of keeping most of them out of the Verizon Center during the playoffs, but its hard when the majority of them have 703, 301 and 202 area codes.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 16, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Enough about Crosby and the Pens already! No wonder their fans are visiting this blog.

Posted by: TJ91 | June 16, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Boo

I'm up to my receding hairline in proposals right now. Haven't been out to my email today. I'll catch up with you tonight. Probably late.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Leonsis is an idiot. I outsmart that grotesquely obese greasball every time. Not hard.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 16, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
No worries - just wanted to make sure that they went through, given the issues as of late. Happy proposal writing! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Jumpy66

Hmmm. Interesting. If you're so smart, why don't you buy the Caps from him with all your Billions of dollars you don't have?

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Boo-

It would be nice if the program folks would actually give me the numbers to work with, and the work statements for the subs. I am pretty good at writing filler and making it sound important, but I gotta have a place to start! I don't have their Ph.D.'s along with years of clinicals behind it!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Jumpy66 - your comments about why D.C. is a transient city are ignorant. The D.C. area has one of the best job markets, highest median family incomes, top art and history museums (rivaled only by NY), and a wealth of things to do within a 2-hr. drive. The reason for the transience is that D.C. itself is a government city and most political appointed federal workers and lobbyists cycle through with every administation.

I grew up in the area, went to college at a mid-size city in the South, and have visited NY & Philly more times than I'd care to remember to visit friends and family. Living in D.C. outweight any of those other east coast cities. Obviously, you haven't spent that much time exploring all D.C. has to offer like the tourists who visit here in droves each summer.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 16, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Greg:

Hmm ... kind of reminds me of this:

But, then again, if they gave you all of that information, well then that would just take a lot of the fun and adventure out of it, now wouldn't it? ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S. 4:49 PM

He would need to have a good education to get the kind job that would pay him that kind of $.

Unfortunately for him, Pittsburgh has none of those things. The only thing they teach kids in the Pitts is how to be annoying.

Posted by: cc415 | June 16, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Boo-

Printing!!!!!!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 16, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Will people relax about cities for Pete's sake...here is my attempt at moving along:

Great picture but it makes it look like Ovie has an illegal curve

Posted by: Moose33 | June 16, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Greg:
Glad to be of service! :-)

Moose:
I've looked at that before but never noticed the curve ... thanks for pointing that out! :-P

Posted by: Boo- | June 16, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Guys, Jumpy66 is a troll, and an ignorant one at that. Let's not feed the trolls any more.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 16, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

1) If the Norris Trophy always went to the best DEFENSEMAN, Paul Coffey never would have won any. More often than not, it goes to the defenseman with the most points so Mike Green has an excellent chance to win it this year.

2) I will take a Stanley Cup-winning jerk who forgets to shake hands over "nice" guys who never win anything any day. Actually you need jerks to win. Billy Smith of the Islanders was the biggest jerk in the league till the day he retired but the Islanders never would have won any Cup let alone 4 straight without his goaltending.

Posted by: joek443 | June 16, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

My pleasure

Posted by: Moose33 | June 16, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Awards party in Ballston Mall tomorrow, check out Japers or Puckdaddy for details. See you there or you will be square!

Posted by: majiksea | June 16, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

Fair enough, but how did I not back it up? With the aid of RedBirdie, I think that me and him clearly presented a strong case that Emery is better than Biron, with numbers and stats. On the contrary, the only thing you said to back it up was point out his GAA and Save pct. im his last NHL season, which I addressed.

Hell, even without adjusting the numbers Biron has only slightly better numbers than Emery. After the adjustments, the numbers seem to back me up..

Oh well...

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@Moose33

That is because he does play with an illegal curve sometimes. So does Spezza, Kovalchuk, and tons of other players.

Anyone who really argues about the curve is dumb though. It's the player, not a slight curve. Plus, an illegal curve makes it harder to stick handle then a flat stick, like Crosby's. It just it hard for the goalie to see how/where the puck comes off the stick.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 16, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: If we can't feed the trolls, can we fling monkey poop at them? Maybe give them a mirror and force them to stare at their ugly trollness for prolonged periods of time? Can we...maybe make them go back to Pittsburgh? =P

Jumpy's the president of the "I want Crosby in another GQ layout" fan club. *sigh* Such a waste....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine the Penguins' fans are upset that it isn't any of the pics of Crosby from his GQ layout on the cover of NHL2K10. =/

Thoughts, Jumpy? *evil grin*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 16, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I must have hit a nerve with my dissing of the most wonderful-everyone-wants-to-live-there-city of Pittsburgh. I would have responded sooner, but I had to go back to work. Lets just say that i was rubbing my hands together like Mr. Burns as I read the posts after mine. It proves I'm right and you Pens fans are just looking for anyone to argue with.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 16, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan,

you are a disgrace to every Caps fan out there...

why the hell would the Pens fans be upset? they just won the Cup AGAIN, have you heard the news??

we're the ones who SHOULD be upset for having a team as soft as marshmellow!

Posted by: joek443 | June 16, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

@sean1smith: Regarding your answer of which brew to drink while watching the NHL awards. Iron City Beer isn't brewed in Pittsburgh anymore.

Is your choice of drinking a beer brewed by a company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy a larger statement about NHL officiating and holding stars and regular players accountable to the same set of rules? If so, I'll join you in that drink.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | June 16, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

What do you think? Bad sportsmanship or caught up in the moment?

Crosby did a lot of complaining. He has an opinion about what everyone is doing, and comes off like a big ole snob. An uppity jock. Or he's dismissing other players. He doesn't dismiss nonchalantly either. And at the end of it, he celebrates too much and forgets all about the oldest tradition in hockey. Caught up celebrating? I don't know what puck daddy was smoking, but since when is it ok to celebrate to much in hockey and miss the championship finals handshake? Its a tradition for an f-ing reason.

Posted by: oo7 | June 16, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Caught up in the moment!

It was chaotic on the ice at the end of the game.

Posted by: 1Roadwarrior | June 17, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Penguins. No doubt about it. They wanted it more, played their hearts out, and both teams gave a great Stanley Cup Finals series. That's one subject.

Another subject is respect. Plenty of fans and players and coaches get rightfully upset at signs of disrespect during the game. Head shots, spearing, knee-to-knee hits. Disrespectful. The integrity of the game of hockey hinges on players maintaining respect for one another. We value protecting the integrity of the game of hockey, do we not?

There is a social contract, an agreement, between hockey players on respectful conduct following each and every playoff series. This agreement serves to function as a blatant and visible sign of the respect so valued by fans, players, coaches. This is a thing that is ingrained, that is steeped in tradition. It is the epitome of class, worth keeping in the game, and cherished for every ounce of the respect it demonstrates. I am talking about the handshake line. The issue is not whether Crosby did or didn't shake hands intentionally. The point is that a true captain should not ever forget or overlook that most treasured sign of respect in all major professional sports.

If Crosby weren't the captain, maybe people wouldn't be as miffed. However, as the captain he has a responsibility to set an example as a leader. Part of that is mindfullness. A major requirement of that is not forgetting to show respect. Respect is not shaking the hands that come to you, nor is it merely shaking hands with those players you eventually get around to. The handshake line's purpose and design is to make sure every player on one team gets the opportunity to shake hands with every player on the other team. Every player takes the opportunity to acknowledge that a winner needs a loser, and the harder one is pushed, then the better the game and the better the player is made. There is a reason why dreams of game 7's dance in players' heads.

The fact that Crosby merely forgot to shake hands is an even bigger insult. Not shaking hands on purpose is at least an acknowledgement of some sort, as if to say "I insult you." Not shaking hands because you forgot is just completely self-centered, self-absorbed, narcissistic, very un-captain-like, as if to say "Me, me, me" and only "me." There is no "you." Not existing is far worse than being insulted.

He who behaves like that is not a captain but an immature fool, he is not a worthy role model but a misfit, and he is not deserving of being the face of the NHL.

"He just made a mistake," some say. "No big deal." "He'll learn." Yes, he will--but only if we decide to hold players accountable for signs of such disrespect.

When it comes down to it, this whole thing is not really about Crosby or the Penguings or Lidstrom or any Red Wings player. Rather, this is about the integrity of the game.

Posted by: django11 | June 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

django11...That was poetic, just and absolutely correct. Underneath all the anger, finger pointing and traded barbs of the previous posts lies the argument you so elegantly spelled out. It is about respect for the game, and not individual players. Its about acting accordingly, representing with class and following through with integrity. I'm sure many of us who feel the way you do about this would have had the same reaction if Pavel Datsyuk or Henrik Zetterberg had done the same thing to the Pens if game 7 had ended with a Detroit victory.

I would like to think that even Pens fans can admit that if Ovechkin had pulled this sort of thing if he had been in Crosby's place, they would have been up in arms with criticism and dislike. And rightfully so.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse