Morning roundup, awards show edition

Quick cameo by the vacationing morning roundup to share some links and photos:

Alex Ovechkin, up for the Hart: "Of course I want to win. We all want to win; it's [an] important thing for us. All three nominees have a good chance to win it, but no one is going to know until the [presenter] is going to say, 'And the winner is.' "

(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Mike Green, up for the Norris: "With the type of game I play, it's hard. But if I do win it, I will be humbled and honored." | Full story »

(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

*Video from Vegas. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*Some awards prognosticating. (Peerless)

*Capping off the year with hardware? (Loose Pucks)

*The Hart Trophy would be little solace for Ovie. (Toronto Star)

*Finally, can anyone explain why this is happening?

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 23, 2010; 10:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Q&A with Mike Green
Next: Q&A with Alex Ovechkin

Comments

Per Dreger (TSN):
"Burke has publicly stated he wants a scoring winger as compensation for Kaberle, but according to league sources, star centre Marc Savard is available."

Would a trade for Marc Savard be realistic to filling the #2C spot with Semin?

to BRUINS
Fleischmann
#26 overall
prospect
another pick

to CAPS:
Savard

Thoughts?

Savard's cap hit is $4,007,143 for the next 7 full seasons, he's 32, and not counting last season, has had the following 4 seasons:
08-09, 82GP, 25G, 63A, 88Pts (Bos)
07-08, 74GP, 15G, 63A, 78Pts (Bos)
06-07, 82GP, 22G, 74A, 96Pts (Bos)
05-06, 82GP, 28G, 69A, 97Pts (Atl)

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

After that appearance on True Blood, I would not be surprised to see Snoop Dogg anywhere.

He apparently has excellent representation to get the gigs he gets at this stage of his career.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | June 23, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to hearing Snoop sing the national anthem at the winter classic. Greatest interview ever.

Posted by: dgreene78 | June 23, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Flash gets that trade done.
It'll take something better. Maybe Semin gets you Savard and a pick.

But then you have his concussion history to worry about. That's a problem I think. He's damaged goods now. A simple clean shoulder check and he could be out for months. I love Savard's game, besides everything you mentioned he's also a fiesty player. But to give up a lot for a guy whose head is scrambled is a tad risky.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

Savard's numbers impressive but that was a bad concussion. Why is Boston shopping him? (What do they know that we don't?)

I'd be loathe to give up the pick this year - it looks like an excellent draft and even at #26 a very good player might be there.

I think we should go in with what we have, see how it shakes out during the year, then make trades as our real needs become clear...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | June 23, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Over that entire period, the best that team ever did was win 8 playoff games and were usually knocked out in the 1st round.

I know you do not consider that a success because you have been ripping on these Caps every day because they have had two first round exits sandwiching a year in which they won 7 playoff games.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 23, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

SGM, You have ZERO clue about what you're talking about. First of all, the Dino/Rouse trade produced a Conf Finals appearance in their first full season with the Caps. Which makes your comment about "the whole period they only won 8 playoff games" totally irrelevant. The first full season they played here, they advanced past the 2nd round. Did you even watch those series? probably not. I know that every Caps fan I knew considered that playoff season to be a pretty successful venture because the team made a huge stride forward. We beat two tough playoff opponents and limped into a series with the Bruins for the Conf finals and our team was decimated by injuries. Dino and Hatcher were out. Stevens had a bad shoulder, etc. Still fought our guts out in every game and lost.

Compare that to the last 3 playoff seasons for the current version of the Caps
- lose in round 1
- lose in round 2
- lose in round 1

Sorry, but it doesn't compare. And the reason that the Dino/Rouse team didn't build on that momentum was because that team got ripped apart in the offseason due to the infamous limo incident.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It was an "According to league sources" comment by Dreger. Have no clue why... but I have to say i think Florida won the trade with Boston for Horton/Campbell. Wideman AND the 15th overall... now they have 5 picks in the 1st 50...

Hypothetically, if we are targeting Lombardi at what point total would he be worth the approximately 3 mil salary?
(Keep in mind is career high is 19G, 34A, 53Pts and is 28yo.)

If Savard is healthy from his concussion, would the extra million (and assets lost via trade) be worth it if he could pull his average of 20+G, 60+A, 80+Pts? and on the second line no less!

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"but I have to say i think Florida won the trade with Boston for Horton/Campbell. Wideman AND the 15th overall... now they have 5 picks in the 1st 50.."

this is a case of both teams doing well. It still has to play out of course but now the Bruins have added size upfront. And the Panthers have the tools to rebuild in a hurry. 3 yrs and they should be a good team again if they draft well. Their drafting history is pretty terrible.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton:

Meh! It's more like average drafting considering how high up they usually pick. They get good players but they could be doing better... your point is well taken... it's a win-win... my first reaction was 'woah, wideman & the 15th' hmmm...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 23, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

true dat Frank. Nothing after the 2nd round for Florida seems to pan out. Booth was probably their best pick based on where he went.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

I think that trade would be beneficial for both sides. My main concern would be the length of Savard's contract. My guess would be that the Caps would be hesistant to committing 7 years to Savard, who is 32 and has concussion issues. It is an interesting option though with his salary only being $4M/yr.

Another option could be Mike Ribiero. Dallas is trying to keep their payroll down and could possibly move him.

@cstanton1

I could care less about comparing the '90 Caps to today's Caps. Your inability to grasp the point of so many posts always amazes me.

Again, I don't care who is better between the two. I just like pointing out the great inconsistencies in your measuring standards that you invoke in some vain attempt try to prove some point about grit that no one cares about.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 23, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

sgm, its actually your inability to comprehend anything which is truly amazing to me.

"I was criticizng you and your double standards. You stated how successful the '90 Caps were because they won 8 playoff games. Yet you then state how unbelievably unsuccessful the '09 Caps were when they won 7 playoff games."

there is NO double standard. Just because you choose to create one in your head doesn't mean it exists.

You claimed that the Caps trade for Dino was unsuccessful (see snide remark about not winning in the playoffs).

I proved otherwise. I don't need to restate everything, you can scroll up and read it. End of story.

With regards to "inconsistencies" in measuring, again you have dreamed this up. There is no inconsistency.

I'll break this down for you in the simplest of terms so you can grasp it.

My hypothesis (to build on what another poster had said).

1) The Gartner for Dino trade worked out successfully.
2) The Rouse for Murphy trade also had a positive and immediate effect.

Overall hypothesis:
Trading 2 of our most skilled players in return for gritty guys who could play top minutes had a very real and immediate positive impact on our team.

Proof: First full year they played, the Caps advanced to the Conf Finals. Something they had never achieved before. And we lost to a great Bruins team partly because our two top offensive guys were out and Stevens was playing on one shoulder so we lacked balance in that series.

That was a successful post-season run. You don't have to win the Cup every year to feel good about where your team is. We made two critical additions and advanced further than we ever had before.

What about that simple concept is so elusive to you?

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

and do I really need to explain to you why the current crop of Caps should be looked upon as underachievers or do you believe that they are right where they should be with regards to progress and their playoff performances?

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Again, I don't care who is better between the two"

neither do i. The point was simply that subtracting pure skill from the lineup and replacing it with less skill, more grit, did wonders for our team.

So go debate that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Again, you are saying the '90 Caps were successful with 8 playoff wins.

Then the '09 Caps were similarly successful with 7 wins.

You stated that the '90 Caps didn't get a chance to prove their skill due to the limo incident. Well, then why do you want to take that chance away from the '09 Caps who were successful in you eyes.

Unless of course you actually have higher expectations of these Caps than the past Caps teams. If so, that would mean you actually believe these current Caps to be better.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 23, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"Again, you are saying the '90 Caps were successful with 8 playoff wins."

Specifically, I said that the trades involving our two skill players for two other types made us a better team. Yes.

"Then the '09 Caps were similarly successful with 7 wins."

no, they won 1 series vs 2. I don't look at individual game wins. That's for losers. That way you can say a team that lost every year in the 1st round could potentially have 3 wins and another team who got past round 1 every year could have only 4 wins. In your eyes, that makes them "similarly successful" ?

But the bigger picture is what you're missing. A trade that paid immediate dividends that clearly pushed the team FORWARD in its progress versus the current Caps who took a step back this year and have clearly little understanding of what it takes to succeed in playoff hockey. This is not a team that is clearly moving forward. Whereas the Dino/Rouse team was one that was moving forward, and then the limo incident hit.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 23, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

The difference between 7 wins and 8 wins is negligibile. Would you have been any more satified if the '09 Caps beat the Pens in game 7 and then got swept by Carolina? Not really. That is considered similarly successful.

You say that this team is clearly not moving forward. They have had ONE year since the successful '09 campaign. ONE.

I believe this Caps team is moving forward.

You speak of the early Caps as if they had some great knowledge on how to succeed in the playoffs. Their best success was 8 playoff wins. Almost equaled when most of the cureent Caps were under 25. The older Caps, gritty and all, had no playoff success. Their grittiness got them nowhere. The teams that won in that era were the Oilers and Pens.

Much less grittiness than the Caps but significantly more skill.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

I hope that girl in the limo, wherever she is, is having a miserable life right now. I hope she's a drug addicted ho being whaled on by her pimp everyday, or dying a slow painful death by cancer. There may not be many of us who have stood by the Caps for these many years, but we're not an insignificant number, and she's caused us untold misery by that little stunt. Thanks a lot ya bimbo! BTW Courtnall asking for a trade after that hurt too. I loved him. Great goal scorer and tough as nails. I think he was Hunter's wing for awhile. That must have been a hard line to play against

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | June 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

sgm/cstanton: You guys should just drop the gloves and fight by now. I'd pay to watch.

tempus: That's a little gruel, but I feel your pain too.

FWIW, I thought the original Dino trade was pretty even because Murphy really was an outstanding PP specialist (he has 4 Cups). Trading though Courtnall, letting Stevens walk, trading Dino for Kevin Miller, Miller for Cavallini or whatever, we basically gave Dino away. I loved him, we even named our cat Dino.

Had the limo incident not happened and had all those players stuck around, Caps would have been even bet for 2 Cups in the 90s. Stevens was that good and the rest of the club was pretty good too. We had great grit, timely goal scoring and the defense was always good. The goaltending was sometimes suspect, but I can guarantee 1992 collapse to Pens doesn't happen with Stevens and Caps therefore are Cup favorite that year, at that point.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 23, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse