Morning roundup: back to work

Morning Roundup

After a shaky overtime win against the bottom-feeder Isles, the Caps are likely in for a rough practice at KCI this morning. Updates to come, but for now, some links:

* Pierre Lebrun on why Alex Ovechkin didn't get fined for his slew foot of Atlanta's Rich Peverley Thursday night. (ESPN)

* Don Cherry takes on Ovechkin -- again. (Fanhouse)

* Sorry, Caps fans -- Philly's Mike Richards won't be suspended for his hit on Florida's David Booth Saturday night. Expect to see him in the lineup Tuesday at Verizon Center. (TSN)

* Who's got the best mask in the NHL? (Is there any way Ray Emery doesn't win this? Come on!) (TSN)

* Speaking of face protection, here's a nice little rulebook oversight: Goalies aren't technically required to wear masks. (Fadoo.ca via Kukla's Korner)

* Brendan Morrison is the middle man the Caps have been looking for. (Mike Vogel)

* Tomas Fleischmann unable to save the Bears from a loss. (Lebanon Daily News)

* Ted has a few complaints. (Ted's Take)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 26, 2009; 9:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 3, Islanders 2
Next: Semin returns to top line (updated)

Comments

good morning all...

definitely a lot of work for the caps this morning, but I agree w/ Ted...the problem areas can all be turned around.

Go Caps...

BTW - for those that have been around the Caps a long time, you all know the Caps are slow starters...being 6-2-2 near the end of Oct, it a big improvement.

Posted by: netminder71 | October 26, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

unfortunately cannot make it to the flyers game tomorrow night because of work (ugh). selling two tickets sec. 415 at face or below. top of the circle on side caps shoot twice. no flyers fans. ralph.macchio@gmail.com.

Posted by: ralph4100 | October 26, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Tomas Fleischmann unable to save the Bears from a loss"

It should be noted that the Bears won the following night (Sunday) on goals by Bouchard, A.Gordon, and Pinozzotto (shorthanded). Flash had one assist in the game and looked good, although maybe a little tired by the end of the game.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 26, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

So I had the pleasure of seeing Brooks Laich at Harris Teeter yesterday. I strategically positioned my jeep in it's parking spot so that I had to walk past him. As he finished unloading his groceries, I ask- "Hey man, you want me to take that back for ya?" (refering to the cart). He replies- "Sure thanks man." Here's my big chance, I have an open invite to say/ask whatever I want. And what do I come up with? "Good game last night dude." Fail.

Pretty sure he was caught off guard though- as he sort of stuttered as he offered his thanks with a smile. Seems like a pretty chill guy. And it was cool to see him in a different context. Brings a more human element to the game.

Posted by: Fro_ | October 26, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@Fro_:
LOL. At least you didn't do something lame like ask him to autograph your grocery list!

Posted by: tess2201 | October 26, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@Fro_: I'd commend you on at least being personable and offering to take his cart. As for your line, what can you do? You were caught up in the heat of the moment, and your brilliance was short-circuited and out came your line. You did good, though. I'd have sweated profusely and probably called him Mr. Clark (as in Chris Clark). Kudos to you, buddy.

I heart Harris Teeter. It always makes me giggle saying that. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 26, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

It is funny to see Cherry whine about Ovechkin's accidental slew foot (he was just trying to get body possession) after his good old Canadian boy Richards was not suspended or even fined for trying to murder David Booth on the same night Cherry made these comments.

You are also wrong about people listening to Cherry. Anyone with a brain considers him an outdated old crazy bigot who is always railing against Russians because in his head the Cold War is still going on.

He has a deep seeded hate for Russian players. No matter what they do they always get criticized. Most Russian players have always been criticized for not being physical enough. Along comes Ovechkin who hits everything that moves and all of a sudden he's a head hunter and a dirty player.

Hockey is a very fast game, especially when played by lightning fast 235 lbs guys like Ovie. Accidents will happen. He's not a dirty player and never tries to hurt anyone intentionally. Anyone who knows him will tell you that. The hit on Gonchar was also an accident. If Gonchar took the hit the knee on knee wouldn't have happened. Instead, he tried to avoid it (I don't blame him for that), but just couldn't get his leg out of the way in time. You can clearly see that on the replay if you remove your bias goggles. Ovechkin never stuck his knee out. He just skated through Gonchar's leg. There was no way he could have reacted to Gonchar trying to avoid the hit.

P.S. BTW, nice cherry picking of Euro players doing something wrong. That never happens with North American players, of course. Especially, Slava Kozlov. Now there's a real goon. Give me a break, Cherry.

Posted by: ranndino | October 26, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

You could of said to Laich...

"You wanna drop those bags and have a go?"

Posted by: SA-Town | October 26, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse