Morning roundup: Caps go for two in a row

Morning roundup

Tonight's matchup:

Ottawa Senators (22-17-4)
Washington Capitals (25-11-6)
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: CSN
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

A few Twitter updates from Tarik:

*Appears as though Quintin Laing will be a healthy scratch for the first time since Oct. Looks like he'll join Tyler Sloan in street clothes.

*Based on the morning skate, it appears as though Jose Theodore will indeed start tonight.

Notebook: Pothier is expected to return to the Caps after an 11-game absence.

Some quick morning links:

*Ovechkin and friends are the new faces of Russian Olympic hockey. (News Channel 8)

*Alzner returned to Hershey. (Examiner)

*Sens-Caps preview. (Washingtoncaps.com)

*Caps picked the right leader. (OFB)

*These midseason awards are a little bit more generous to the Caps. (TSN)

*Ovechkin goes behind the scenes at the Caps' Verizon commercial shoot, and the result is hilarity.

Highlight from the video:

Ovechkin to Laich: "What's your body fat?"

Laich: "Lower than yours."

Ovechkin: "Yeah, probably. Like, I eat so much nachos, I can't play, I get suspended, coke -- no diet, by the way."

Updates to come soon from today's skate at KCI.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 7, 2010; 10:33 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notebook: Pothier ready to play again
Next: Semyon Varlamov: 'My knee is injured'

Comments

Wait, I'm confused...

They signed Sloan to a two-year extension yesterday.

They sent Alzner down yesterday.

So they're scratching Sloan because WHY?

I mean, I know Pothier's back, but Sloan needs to earn some of that $700k he's being paid, right?

Don't get me wrong - I like Sloan *and* Pothier, but resigning Sloan and then benching him again doesn't make much sense to me...

Posted by: irockthered | January 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sloan's more of a backup at this point. They signed him really for next season when Pothier and Poti are free agents. Play the best you got for now.

Posted by: visionof75 | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It just seems Sloan's a utility guy they want to keep around just in case, and the price must be right for GMGM. Sloan, for his part, did not seem to thrilled with not playing much (if at all) right now, but also seemed to recognize he's got a good deal for himself for the time being.

Posted by: Steakum | January 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Poti still has a year.

Posted by: koalatek | January 7, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I agree , Sloan was UFA and at 700k a pretty good bargain for a good F/D player
(ala Ken Klee ! ) only rostered player that costs less is Laing.

Posted by: jono57 | January 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious Video!!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | January 7, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I think Sloan was signed for depth at D.

Additionally, my guess is that we need to evaluate and showcase who we have on D, just as we're doing with goalies and centers.....to see what we need at the trading deadline.

Right now, it appears we're set at goalie, although I wouldn't be shocked in we found another injury at goalie to see what Holtby has to offer. I wouldn't expect any trades, signings or rentals here.

Center is a bit trickier. We could use another scoring center, preferably for the second line. Morrison has been good, but we've looked at a lot of guys for the 3rd line. Flash's first game at center, looked good. That said, there always seem to be some skilled, aging veterans (like Feds) available to give us a boost in the playoffs. I think it's likely we pick up one of these guys.

Defense, again is the big question mark. Currently we have too many offensive minded guys, and not enough physical guys. Plus, we have too many players, especially with Carlson and Alzner waiting in the wings. Everyone but Green is movable here....and we need to move either Pothier or Poti, as we don't have room for both. Honestly 2-4 guys can be moved...and we need at least one capable, physical, crease-clearing defender in return. Two would be best....but GMGM will only get us one, at best (we've needed one for 4 years, and still haven't gotten one).

Lastly, we need grit. Knuble and Chimera have help us there....but you can never have too many gritty vets in the playoffs. I think GMGM will get us one more.

Personally, I think we need a goon....but I think it's highly unlikely GMGM gets us one.....it doesn't seem to be a priority for Boudreau.

Posted by: C-way | January 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

looks like hartnell put on some weight in that video

Posted by: _stevo | January 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Yah gotta luv Ovie! He sure is hilarious!

Posted by: capscoach | January 7, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

looks like hartnell put on some weight in that video

Posted by: _stevo | January 7, 2010 11:35 AM |

Well since Carter has taken over the bedroom duties for him, he hasn't had much of a workout lately.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 7, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you what's really amazing: yesterday I made "dearth" the word of the day when I said the Caps had a dearth of centers compared to wingers (before Flash was converted). And now Tarik used the word "dearth" in Thursday's story.

Does this fall under "great minds think alike?"

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 6, 2010 7:04 PM

@tominfl1: As you wish, "Dearth" Vader.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 7, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Stone Age - before Langway.
Enlightenment - 1982 thru 1990 (ECF).
Industrial Age - 1990 thru 2000. Lunch Pail Caps. Worked really hard. Mostly treaded water, although was good.
Dark Ages - the Jagr years.
Reformation - includes years when McPhee nails names of 99 players to be traded on the door to Verizon Center.
Renaissance - Czar Alex I and his Court come to town.
Space Age (yet to come). Alex raises Cup to the heights. I predict this will happen.

Signed,
NostraThomasinfl1

@tominfl1: a true masterpiece of historical alliterations.

I like it.
A lot.
Kudos are in order.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 7, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@Tominfl1:

"Carlson, eh?"---XD. At least you're not in Saskatoon where they have room-temperature superconductors for house wiring...

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 7, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of sticks...if a broken stick is an auto penalty...why dont players take a cheap or lightly cracked stick out at certain times to try and draw the power play?

The way I see sticks break, I wonder if some of them arent "softened up."

Posted by: SA-Town | January 7, 2010 9:50 AM |

@SA-Town: FWIW, If I were sufficiently skilled and lucky to play in the NHL, I would never venture out on the ice in a game situation with a stick I knew was likely to break. IMHO the chances of blowing a critical scoring chance, being stickless during a crucial penalty kill, or being party to some kind of gruesome injury far outweigh the slim chance of drawing a slashing penalty.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 7, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse