Morning roundup: Caps know their lines

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)
Morning roundup

Bruce Boudreau, who has a penchant for changing up his forward lines, is sticking with what works as the Caps have won nine of 10.

"It's nice to have linemates," winger Brooks Laich joked yesterday. "When someone asks, 'Who's your line?' you don't have to name nine guys." | Full story »

Tonight's matchup:

Washington Capitals (33-12-6)
New York Islanders (23-21-8)
Nassau Coliseum, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet +
Radio: 1500 AM

*Caps at Isles preview (NHL.com)

*Great read about the Caps fan who got bloodied by a puck. "It's like getting a hole in one in golf." (Bog)

*Very cool Caps-Pens cake. (Rock the Red)

*The 'C' has been good to Ovie. (USA Today)

*Penalty kill is a work in progress. (Examiner)

More to come soon from Tarik on Long Island.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 26, 2010; 10:31 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau likes his lines' chemistry
Next: Theodore set to start on the Island

Comments

Thoughts from previous thread:

While watching the Flyers/Pens game on Sunday my sons (20 and 17) and I started talking about how relieved we were that the Caps didn't have a bunch of goons running around. The only time players like Carcillo and Asham are mentioned in the post game is when a game became out of hand. People can say Carcillo has skill all they want but he is ALWAYS on the edge. He takes stupid selfish penalties whether the game is tied, or still within reach. Asham and Hartnall are the same way. Watching "Broad Street Bullies" hockey has become predictable and boring.

I know someone mentioned Asham, but back on Carcillo since he's on that dirty team. If Backstrom or Semin, or any other non-fighter type Capital is being pummeled by Carcillo another Cap better step in to get them separated. I don't care if a 3rd man in will be called, or a suspension will follow. Carcillo fighting Gaborik was a joke. IMO Gaborik dropped his gloves because he could not get a grip on Carcillo's jersey and Carcillo commenced to whaling on him. Carcillo is a goon that needs to be addressed by the league. Now, Asham claims that Cooke bit him, I don't know, maybe he did. However, Asham was cross-checking Cooke at the face-off, in the hip, constantly, and trying to get him to go. At that point I say why the F don't the officials just remove him from the ice for an unsportsmanlike conduct for 10 minutes? Just punish the goon, don't even put your team short-handed. Those darn rules are put in place to give officials the ability to circumvent stupid crap.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

BTW the lines are working great in my humble opinion. Last year when we had Brash in the line-up there were times we literally got trapped in our zone because Brash would fail to clear. Now there is speed on every line. Brads may be a 4th liner on our team but he has some wheels.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

OK, on top of Kubina, Kaberne, and Sutton in the east, Boyton and Neidermeyer may be available in the west. I would like either Sutton or Boyton because they are tough, stay-at-home blueliners with short-term committments who may not cost -too- much. A first rounder and a prospect who is on the bubble (e.g. Bourque) may be worth it.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | January 26, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The Islanders have won 7 of their last 10. They're just a point out of 6-8 seed with 54 points.

I don't want to oversell this game, but it could be a preview of a first-round matchup.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 26, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Since Suttoon is still a topic, I'll carry over what I put on the other thread:

Somebody mentioned Sutton, and I first brought his name up a few months back. Based on what it cost last year for Guerin and Morris, a 3rd rounder or 2nd at most should nab him. Or someone who rates in value to Ted Ruth at the time we got Fedorov. Sutton might be a good guy to have down the stretch and in the Playoffs for a relatively cheap cost. He's not a world beater, but he doesn't mess up the chemistry either. And then I think we need a checking line center, similar price, for PK.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

JIMALLCAPS: A first rounder AND a prospect is way too much, IMHO, for a guy like Sutton. He's no better than Morris or Guerin were last year and they were moved for #3 picks. Give up the first round pick? It will be back end of 1st round. Remember, in the last few years, we've nabbed Schultz and Carlson from the 27th slot and Green from the 29th slot. We also got Varly at #23. OK, so Finley was also a #27, you can't win them all.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Anyway, I don't think the Isles will be sellers unless they tank. It would be bad for Tavares and the other younger players to make trades if they have a decent shot.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The Olympic break will definitely have a unique impact on the remainder of the season and into the playoffs. Typically the last couple of weeks before the deadline the determination of buying or selling is made. For those truly on the bubble, they also have to be concerned with how well the team jump starts after a 2 week layoff. Yeah, players will either be participating in the Olympics, or working out and skating if they're not in the Olympics, but they won't be working together. The trade deadline is only 4 days after the games start back up.

The Caps are sitting better than most obviously. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that none of our boys suffer an injury.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

For the love of god, would somebody (Hi Lindsay!) please update the "Ovechkin Angry" link in the banner to something a little more current?

Posted by: mikebrady1 | January 26, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the talk of trading for Kovalchuck. The Caps do not need another forward that does not play defense. If the Caps trade for anyone it should be a lock down defender that they can send out against other teams top forwards. Similar to the way that teams like Boston use Chara against Ovie. Granted they will not be as good as Chara but someone who they match up with the other teams top line. Scoring is not a problem with this team so I don't think trading Semin for Kovie solves anything.

Posted by: srobert1117 | January 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The only time players like Carcillo and Asham are mentioned in the post game is when a game became out of hand. The only time players like Carcillo and Asham are mentioned in the post game is when a game became out of hand

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 26, 2010 10:40 AM

Regarding Asham, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Sunday's game against Pitt was anything but out of hand, and Asham was out there.

As far as cross checking while waiting for the face off, I see that happen alot.

Carcillo- while recently playing some decent hockey, is just too much of a liability out there. Asham is a solid pest who can some play hockey without going over the line too often.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

We have to wait until 10:30 for a post and this is all we get!??!!

Posted by: CalleJoFan | January 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

What a novel concept: rolling consistent lines. who would have ever guessed that a thing like building chemistry with your linemates might work to your advantage. better now then later, i suppose.

Posted by: doughless | January 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Yuck. Since when is the examiner covering the Caps? they should stick with dispensing their putrid rightwing ideologies and not trick me into giving their site hits.

Posted by: large23220 | January 26, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I really like the 4th line because you send gordon into the faceoff circle have him cheat and win or get tossed and have steckel win. We should never lose a defensive zone draw with those 2 out there.

Posted by: caps512 | January 26, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I have to think the line consistency will make coming back from the Olympic break smoother. Assuming they stay the same until the break starts.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 26, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@mikebrady1 Yes, good call. That should have been updated.

@CalleJoFan I'm also Olympics editor and it's been busy lately. Cut me some slack, man!

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | January 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

large23220, This is a hockey blog so please leave your political views out of the discussion. If you want to talk politics go to a political blog...there are many of them!

Posted by: PhilR | January 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The Caps don't need an enforcer as long as Lindsay's around.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 26, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, thanks for the change from "Ovechkin Angry" to "Praise for Theo" - good work!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | January 26, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@yosemite_sam No problem. The Ovie's top 3 goals video stays, though, until we can top it somehow.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | January 26, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@callejoe.......if you dont like it, go do your own research...

Posted by: RichC3 | January 26, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice that idiot Pierre Lebrun over at ESPN doesn't even have the Caps record close to correct on this weeks power rankings? He has them at 34-15-1 or something just ridiculouly off like that....

Posted by: PhilR | January 26, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

LeBrum = Fail

Posted by: JSchon | January 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

LeBrun = Fail too

Posted by: JSchon | January 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@large23220...it's ok, you can read the post and Gene Robinson to balance out the Examiner, Robinson drinks the Obama koolaid on a daily basis

Posted by: boomer44 | January 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

whats the latest news on varly? Is he out there skating today? I know I just set myself up for dissapointment but I still would like to know whats going on with varly day by day.No pressure lindsay!We still luv ya!GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of serious reading material, does anyone else have any of The Far Side books? Those things are the epitomy of hilarious.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 26, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Lindsay, for some reason that picture of the angry Ovechkin was really getting to me (I think I need a vacation.) Happy Theo is much better.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | January 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

At this point, I'd have to say that I'm hoping Varly gets replaced on the Russian Olympic team. By the time the Olympics start, he will have missed two months. Now we want him to go out there any over-extend himself in practice (even though he probably won't play in the games)?

Do we want another set-back?

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Doughless - agree 100%. Not a bash on BB, obviously he knows what he's doing, but in the past if the team had one bad game he might change all the lines. Nice to finally see some continuity. Its also nice to finally have Knuble with OV and Backstrom again. It seemed like the logical thing to do since the day they signed him and we are now starting to see it pay off with goals from Knuble - and all right in front of the net. Imagine that!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 26, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@RichC3 -- Sadly I am usually forced to do my own research. But seeing as how it is not my job to report on the team and how my current job prevents me doing things like travelling to Long Island to watch the Capitals practice on the day of a game, I would appreciate those who do cover the team for a living to report some up to date news. Too much to ask?

Posted by: CalleJoFan | January 26, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

CalleJoFan - is it too much to ask to not be an A__hole about it?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 26, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@CalleJo

Do you pay the Post for access to the Caps blog? If you were to complain about something in the print edition, fine, you're a paying customer. Here, there are no customers.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 26, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

how the heck did we get by when there was no internet and all we had was Bob Fachet of the WP and Dave Fay of the Wash. Times??

Posted by: joek443 | January 26, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | January 26, 2010 12:58 PM

Now you know why I started drinking.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 26, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My two cents on the line chemistry--I think that BB has been struggling with the pairings and the right center for the second line. We did tend to see the same patterns but it was not until Flash moved to center and BMo moved to center on the third line with the addition of Chimera that the line chemistry fell into place. The addition of Chimera's speed to BMo and Fehr has made such a difference to that line. And Flash makes such a good pairing with both Laich and Semin. And Semin's play has shown great consistency of late. I am so looking forward to this game tonight.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse