Morning roundup: Caps let Bolts slip away

Having decided that 12 straight losses to a single team was enough, thankyouverymuch, the Lightning finally beat the Caps last night, 7-4, for the first time since Nov. 16, 2007.

Here's a game summary and here's much, much more in Tarik's postgame wrap-up.

Over at the D.C. Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg breaks down one of the game's more entertaining moments, when Matt Bradley appeared out of thin air (okay, at least out of the frame on Comcast) to take on "this fella Steve Downie" in defense of Alex Ovechkin. Please leave here immediately -- actually, just open a new tab, if you don't mind -- and read Dan Steinberg's description of the "four-man drama."

More reading material:

*The way the Caps lost was worse than their streak of dominance ending. (Examiner)

*Tom Poti inadvertently fires up the Lightning. (St. Pete Times)

*Former Caps captain praises Downie, says current Caps captain's hit was dirty. (St. Pete Times)

*Accusations fly that Ovechkin crossed the line. (Tampa Tribune)

*Ovechkin supports Gilbert Arenas. (Bog)

*Leonsis: happy to be scrappy, and proud but not cocky. (Ted's Take)

*Caps highlights of 2009. (Washingtoncaps.com)

*A very comprehensive breakdown of who and what each team (in alphabetical order from Anaheim through Los Angeles) should try to trade in exchange for Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk. George McPhee has to anxiously await tomorrow's list (Minnesota through Washington) to find out what his offer for Kovy will be. (ESPN)

*Have to disagree with the National Post's assertion that Alex Ovechkin doesn't have a good enough command of the English language to be on Saturday Night Live. And anyway, is Sidney Crosby being hilariously bland really the next logical choice? (Posted Sports)

*An Olympic prediction of gold for Russia, silver to Canada. Agree? (Star-Ledger)

*On the thrill of pond hockey. (On Frozen Blog)

Onto tonight's matchup in Sunrise, Fla.:

Washington Capitals (27-12-6)
Florida Panthers (18-20-7)
BankAtlantic Center, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet (HD, thank goodness)
Radio: 1500 AM

*The Panthers want Alex Ovechkin in the lineup tonight, because, Coach Pete DeBoer said with a laugh, "It can't be any worse than without him." (Sun-Sentinel)

Amy Shipley is stepping in for Tarik today and tonight. Stay tuned for more from the morning skate.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 13, 2010; 5:36 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on the Ovechkin-Downie-Bradley incident
Next: No discipline for Matt Bradley

Comments

Knee on knee contact? They must've shown that hit 15 times, and it looked pretty clean to me...

Caps looked like they had tape on their skates last night. Shake it off guys, you're better than the team that showed up to play last night.

Posted by: CheckingLine | January 13, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Chimera stinks...I have no idea why they traded the Captain for this guy...he doesn't even stand up for his teammates like Clark use to...(and I'm not a Clark supporter)..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 13, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"Chimera stinks...I have no idea why they traded the Captain for this guy"

Cap space. We freed up a bunch and opened up another spot on D (moving Jurcina), as we had a bunch of those.

"Joke of the night...Mike Green player of the game...HE WAS -3 and was on for 6 of the 7 Tampa goals...how is that a PLAYER OF THE GAME???"

Link?

Stamkos, St. Louis, Bochenski- 3 stars in that order

Mike Green: 12G 33A +17
Trade him- he's a bum

Posted by: Fro_ | January 13, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

@Fro..

1) I understand about the Cap space, but what about the psyche of our team...the further we go in the playoffs, the more money ted makes.

2) I never said (in this comment) to trade Green, but in no way shape or form was he the player of the game. They need to limit Green's icetime to Power Plays, and when we have a sizable lead. No MORE PK...and NO MORE when we are up by less than 3 goals.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 13, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"but in no way shape or form was he the player of the game"

Show me where he was player of the game- link or it didnt happen

"I never said (in this comment) to trade Green..."

That's hilarious that you had to qualify that.

Keep 'em coming- I have a very slow morning.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 13, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps

That's a great idea, rich and compelling.

Tell me more.

Posted by: JSchon | January 13, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

@Fro, I think he is referring to the CSN Player of the Night.

@SoaringCaps,

Nobody played well last night.

I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO 1/31 WHEN THE BEAT DOWN TAKES PLACE AT VC!

Halpern is now officially a punk in my book. The hit was the epitomy of clean. The stink of Tampa has rubbed off on him.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 13, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Konopka's beat down of Steckel was the low point in the game for me. Without an enforcer in a blow out that is what "Team Toughness" will get you though.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Green has been averaging, what, 28min/game all season and we're one of the best teams in the league right now...correlation doesn't equal causation, but he is certainly a contributing factor to that reality.

TB is no "gimme", they stunned NJ right before they played us. We had an opportunity to skate out of there with some points and couldn't pull it off. There is a lot of hokcey left to play--some perspective maybe? Trade Green my foot...

Posted by: CheckingLine | January 13, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"If you can't see the obvious...that Green didn't have a good night...then you have been brainwashed to ONLY think that ALL Capitals are All-Stars and deserve EVERY NHL Award..."

Green was terrible last night (despite his offensive production). Games like last night is EXACTLY why he is not on team Canada for the Olympics.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I think he is referring to the CSN Player of the Night.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 13, 2010 8:49 AM |

Ah- gotcha.

Meh- whatever. I fully expect local media to be biased. Happens in every market.

Now if this team was tanking it would make me upset- as I really can't stand apologists

While I'm definitely looking forward to 1/31, I have my sights on this coming Sunday. Section 400: ready.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 13, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The more important issue regarding the Caps is the refs continue to watch Ovi with a microscope but do not see what is done to him. Too many times he is called for penalties that are ticky-tack at best. This has been a trend since his suspension. How can a stick to the face, drawing blood, not be a penalty? Campbell needs to correct this.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | January 13, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I think he is referring to the CSN Player of the Night.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 13, 2010 8:49 AM |

Ah- gotcha.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 13, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, the award is given out to the best Caps player each night, not the best player in the game.

I will be at the game this Sunday for my birthday. Coming down from the northeast for what should be a good game.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 13, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@nimrodrsp

Living in FL I was forced to watch the Tampa feed by Center Ice. From what I saw the game was called pretty fairly. Perhaps the Comcast feed showed different angles? There were a couple of questionable calls and misses for both sides, but pretty much a typical NHL called game IMHO.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Tough game. move on.

@SoaringCaps, you're obviously in the minority on Green. He did not have a good game, nor did Knuble, Neuvy, and many others. Green's shot is amazing though.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 13, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Though there were few bright spots, I thought Poti & Schultz played rather well. Semin had a few brilliant moves, great goal, but a giveaway or two.

Let's end this streak at 1.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 13, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The whole team played poorly last night. The first period was an abomination and could have been worse than 4-1 but for Neuvy. Then, when they got it tied up, they took their foot off the gas thinking TB would fold and they would coast to a win. In addition they let TB get under their skin and disrupt their game. There is still a lot of immaturity on this team.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 13, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Prediction: other teams will look at this game and conclude that the way to beat the Caps is to physically beat the crap out them. This will lead to more altercations, and things like Bradley getting his face busted open, and Steckel - with all good intentions - embarrassing himself as a fighter.

We need a quality tough guy. He can replace the worthless Chimara.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | January 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Ovie’s hit was clean. It was clear that he glided from at least the red line to the blue line. I understand why people are mad a Bradley; however, I agree with his motive. I’m a homer, so I’ll be a little bias. But, you don’t let your star player fight. The last thing we want is for Ovie to break his hand or something. Obviously, it would have been entertaining to see Ovie fight, but it was best for the team to not let him. So, I think Bradley did the right thing. Downie saw him coming so it’s not like he was blindsided. If I wasn’t a homer, I probably would be upset, but when you think about it he did the right thing. Bradley was just being a good teammate, even though it looked bad.

Posted by: JD09 | January 13, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy Ovie didn't fight last night and risk any chance of getting hurt (breaking a hand, etc), but I think Ovie would have rocked Downie. Ovie is a strong boy, and the look in his eyes last night was pure anger, he was ready to go. I think Downie should actually be thankful Bradley stepped in and they basically both went to the ground. Ovie looked like he was ready to lay the law down.

Also, last night showed me that I think it would be helpful to have an enforcer. I don't care if the guy is a healthy scratch many nights, teams will show no respect for us when it comes to fighting and we have no one to back it up. Bradley has a lot of heart and is a tough guy but he loses most of his fights. I think we need to get a big boy who's making around the league minimum and let him send a message to the next team who tries something like TB did tonight.

One last thing, Steckel is a big guy but he looks like he's never been in a fight in his life. I felt bad for him he looked like he was getting pounded and pounded in that fight last night. Someone needs to sign him up for some fighting lessons.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 13, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

JD09 I must have been typing just as you posted, I saw your comments when page refreshed. I completely agree with you on that. Ovie can handle himself but he's far to valuable to be fighting, the risk isn't worth it.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Ovie would have been able to hold his own had Brads not jumped in on his behalf, but it really isn't the point as many of you stated. I don't think he would have been inured--at least not in that particular fight; but the repercussions in future games would have taken him off the ice in a lot of future (important) games.

If enforcers/tough guys around the league know that Ovie is willing to drop the gloves given the appropriate stimuli; they will make it their mission every time he's on the ice to get him to do so. Everytime he obliges them, he's off the ice for 5:00 min--they lose a 8 min/game guy w/2 goals and 10 points on the campaign, we lose our Captain with 27 goals and 56 points. Even if Ovie devastates the other guy...he and the team lose.

Brads is a team player, and did the right thing. Ovie shouldn't have dropped the gloves, just the highlight opens the door for future shenanigans that could hurt the team. I'm saying this as somebody who would love to watch the Russian Machine kick the crap out of a two-bit cheapshot artist because it'd be fun to watch.

Posted by: CheckingLine | January 13, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 13, 2010 9:05 AM |

Oh cool- thanks for the heads up. You'd think I should know that by now.
Happy birthday- btw.

And as far as Steckel wanting to fight- I think it was on the Caps homepage where they had a video about players recalling their first fight. Steckel mentioned something about not doing too well, and then asking Brashear to teach him how to fight. Brashear declined, saying that it was his job to do the fighting.

I was amused.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

getting off of the whole TB thug-lys/OV talk.

I really like what Chimera brings. He's strong on the puck, fast, plays hard...i'm a fan of this dude. i like knuble on one line, laich on another, and chimera on third...

i miss clark and juice...but this was a good move!

Posted by: carsonspence | January 13, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

We played flat last night. Good news is Bradley's stock just went through the roof in my books, but let's talk olympics.

How can anyone even mention USA in the medal round? I'm hoping we get in and pull out a bronze, but the realist in me says no way. It will be Sweden stunning Russia for the gold and Canada handily beating either the Czechs or USA for bronze.

Posted by: rovingbandit | January 13, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand all the Mike Green bashing going on here. Did he have a great night? No. But, did anyone on the Caps have a great night? No. He single-handedly kept the Caps in the game offensively, and he should have picked up another assist but Flash pushed the puck into the post instead of the empty net after a beautiful pass. Also, he took a -1 for being on the ice when Knuble stupidly passed the puck cross ice in the defensive zone behind Nicky that led to a 2 on none scoring chance for Tampa that they easily converted. But I suppose that was all Green's fault, too.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheckingLine | January 13, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

i dont disagree, but the games was 7-4 w/6 minutes to go. even the caps would have had a tough time coming back and tying that game. surely ovie's not going to do something stupid in a tie game or when the game is in the balance. but at that particular point in the game, i think you dont worry about ovie being off the ice for 5 minutes or more. at some point, you can let ovie show he's not going to take it from a punk like downey.

i do agree that brads did the right thing by protecting his captain and the franchise players. shows the respect thay have for ovie. i'm pretty sure someone on the pens would do the same thing if crosby was squaring up against downey or someone of his ilk.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Halpern you are dead to us.

Posted by: madflava | January 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

also, i think there was an opportunity for chimera to take on a physical role for the caps. it should have been chimera out there dancing with konopkos (sp) and not stecks. kudos for stecks for sticking up for this team and initiating things. however, that role needs to be handled by a guy who knows what he's doing.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 13, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 13, 2010 9:57 AM

I assume by "squaring up" you mean "jumping someone in the faceoff circle when he's not ready, and then getting praise from the Canadian media for sticking up for himself".

Seriously though, you make a good point and I think it was good on Brads for doing what he did.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 13, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 13, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Ya, I thought Chimera should have gotten involved last night. Might have endeared him to his new teammates a bit. I know he's not an enforcer, but I thought he was supposed to be a guy who's tough and would drop the gloves from time to time, like Brads.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 13, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@carsonspence

I agree. Chimera as is Knuble and BMo are good additions to the team.

As to the enforcer issue, I disagree. I believe that Brads coming in to ensure that TB's goon didn't fight our star player made the statement that the Caps will protect each other. Ovi should not be fighting. I think he was personally frustrated at the refs with him--they just aren't calling penalties against him such as Downie's slash breaking his stick. But that is part of the game. And I didn't have a problem with his hit on Downie after getting a new stick (the guy did have the puck after all). But in the future I hope that Ovi avoids further instigations--don't skate close to the guy after getting out of the box so that he is even able to hook your midsection with his stick. (Wish youtube would show that angle.) Then the dropping of the gloves would have been unnecessary. But I took from that whole incident that 1) Ovi's is one tough customer and willing to fight and 2) the rest of the team will stand up for him and other teammates--and not let other team's goons go after one of our star players and especially our Captain.

Tonight they had better come out on fire but with disciplined fire. Frustrated fire will only make them more frustrated. Ovi-make them pay attention by getting goals! GO CAPS!

BTW I love Brads feistiness and I even have a little love for Stecks--he may not have won the fight but he sure was willing to get into the scrum. Our penalties were mostly fair (except for Brads instigator) but I agree with Stecks that they were getting away with not enough penalties called on them--especially backchecks.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 13, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I sure don't want Ovi feeling like he has to fight other teams' goons just because he is Captain now.

I used to consider Halpern a smart guy who might be in Caps management some day. I understand the hurt feelings when he left his home town, but I think he has now burned enough bridges that he won't be coming back. Good luck in Tampa Jeff - and remember, when the Bolts get good, they will get rid of you there too.

Posted by: zmega | January 13, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for misspelling Downey--guy wasn't on my radar before last night. And what is with the knee on knee accusation by Halpern. Just stupid accusations--especially when both Downey and Ovi were downplaying their fight in the post game videos.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 13, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

as for chimera, i like what he brings to the table, but i thought he could have fought someone last night or at least been a little more physical

Posted by: _stevo | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@ stevo - Yeah, that sounds about right. After letting off Koci for boarding Green, it would make NHL sense to suspend Bradley.

Posted by: zmega | January 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan:

I agree that the game was pretty much lost when Ovie started getting agressive--but my point was that in future games that may not be true. If league bruisers know Ovie will drop his gloves, they'll do everything that can to make that happen, which will end up hurting us more than them. Ovie can brush off a lot of BS, but he's still a man, and a man can only take so much, as evidenced last night.

I respect him for being willing to throw down--he's taken a lot of criticism about his willingness to back up his agressive play when called to the mat--but as the top producer on our team, he can ill-aford to sit in box for crap the (for lack of a better term) lesser players could/should take care of.

He doesn't back down from anyone, but he's got to realize that dropping the gloves even one time as a super-star will have serious unintended consequences.

Posted by: CheckingLine | January 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan

I totally agree.this could of been chimera's chance to prove he MIGHT belong on this team and still NOTHING.I really hope the caps dont keep this guy around very long.If your not gonna score,atleast throw your body around and stick up for your team.Thats why i got much love for stecks.He may off lost the fight but it was way more than that.The kids got heart and he showed his team that last night.And same with brads.I was at the game last night and saw the whole thing go down.he did not jump off the bench just to rescue ovi,he was making a change and it just so happened to be at that time.But good for him for sticking up.It was a hard game to watch or even moreso be there as a caps fan but it was fun and the boys will bounce back tonight. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"the nhl is now reviewing the bradley "coming off the bench" situation...not sure why"

If the league agrees Bradley came on during a line change the game misconduct will be rescinded

Posted by: jp426 | January 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Never going to win if you cannot clear your own zone...hate to make excuses, but at least two of Tampa's goals were because the D did not get the puck out of the zone...mostly because it looked like the ice was so horrible. 6 goals on Mike Green - 7 on his partner...ugly.

Ovechkin's hit was incredibly clean...sometimes the opposition just needs to man up and take it...Halpern needs to shutup.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

1) Caps looked lethargic for at least half the game. Hope that is not blueprint for tonight.

2) Last night is yet another example of Brads leadership on the team. he should have received an "A."

3) Stecks needs to stick to winning faceoffs.

4) OV needs to learn to not put himself (and his team mates) in bad positions.

Posted by: doughless | January 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Okay I'm anal sometimes: I spelled his name correctly the first time: Steve Downie. I hate misspelling names.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@hockeypuck1
I have to say I agree, teams attempting to rough up the Caps could happen. As long as you take a guy off the ice with you, than you don't give up the power play. I'm surprised that the Caps have gotten through half a season without the opposition realizing there aren't alot of tough guys on the bench. Bradley and Erskine do their best, but neither is a "true" enforcer in the sense of the word. If I was an opposing coach who is 14 points back, and is playing an offensively superior team, I would send out the dogs. What do you have to lose?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm not convinced that whatever people are complaining about Chimera is Chimeras fault.

In fact, the facts are pretty evident that the problem with the 3rd line is not Chimera who in 6 games has 3 points (1G, 2A).

Morrison, who I like, in his last 15 games, has 4 points (2G, 2A).

Fehr in 15 games, 4G 4A.

Morrison has hit a wall.

Posted by: JSchon | January 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

fro, exactly. any pens fans who claim their captain fights for himself, well sure. when you jump guys on the faceoff its hard for your teammates to jump in. bag punching aside, crosby's other fights have erupted from scrums in the faceoff circle or by the net...and if i recall, they werent exactly against noted pugilists like downey.

no team with any real cajones is going to let things get out of hand with their top guy. again, i would like to see ovie have pounded downey.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@jp426

okay i get it now. Just wanted to make sure they weren't reviewing it to try and suspend brads or something

Posted by: _stevo | January 13, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Meh, last night was a throwaway game. They played one good period sandwiched in between two of the worst periods they've played this season.

To call out Greenie for his play last night does a disservice to the level of mediocrity everyone else (save 2 or 3 players) was putting forth. Felt bad for Neuvy, especially on the Tampa PP goal where Sloan was screening his own keeper. WTF was that.

Lone bright spot was the Ovie-Downie-Brads confrontation. Ovie shows he's willing to take care of himself and Brads shows the respect he has for Ovie and his position on the team. I don't know if there are too many of those guys who'd come to Crosby's defense on the Pens...

I feel a bounce-back game tonight against the hapless Panthers. Ovie scores tonight.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 13, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Bradley for stepping in for Ovie. We don't want Ovie fighting, especially a goon. Ovie's job is to score points. If Ovie wants to start fighting please don't go after a career fighter. Start with someone less experienced at fighting like the goal tender he was talking trash too and work your way up to the main event. Ovie needs to walk away from people trying to instigate him and the Caps have got to have someone on the ice to step in, like Bradley when it happens. Ovie will have a broken hand or concussion if he continues in this direction. I like Chimera, but was disappointed he didn't step up a little last night when things were getting out of hand.

Posted by: jmcale57 | January 13, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: _stevo | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know Brads came off the bench. If so, that would no doubt be a concern for the league.

Chimera's still got some adjustments to make to endear himself to me (not that that's a goal of his). He's OK, i guess, and has gotten a bit better since he started with us -- ringing endorsement there.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@ELICIA & MISEAUJEU - I think you guys are reading a little too much into what I said but here's my main point of it all. The team has ZERO confidence when Theo is in net and don't feel they can win with him. To your point has this ever been said word for word in any written form publicly, of course not but my point is go back to last yrs playoffs articles and you'll see where it begins. Of course you have to write good things about Theo. He has 1 good game outta 10 and that's when you have to put it and that's professional. I get that. But to further my point. What I did was i emailed a contact close to the team and asked the question of "Has the team lost confidence in Theo? It seems as if they feel they don't have a chance to win when he's in net". Now originally I was going to cut and paste my comments and my sources comments but I got quite the reply and the way things were worded I didn't feel comfortable doing that respectfully. Plus the first thing stated was keep this between you and me. If you feel I'm lying that's fine I can live with that. I'll live with that before I blow somebody's cover who's done a lot for me in the past. So regardless you can take this for what it's worth and choose to believe it or not but here are the highlights that validate my point. "You are correct. He's having a really tough time. Either way he's struggling big time. SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT GOAL BY ST LOUIS. Then again its always tough to come off the bench cold"

I included that last statement because it is true and I didn't want you to think that I'm on a high horse or anything. I'm not at all.

Another thing of note, like i said there was alot in the email, something I didn't know or maybe didn't know alot about. Theo is very well like OFF the ice. He is often seen in public with higher profile players on the team having a great time. So I guess I didn't realize that this is a tougher situation than at first glance. I've been in this situation before where you really like your goalie but gosh he can't stop a beach ball from going in the net and it's a tough call. Granted never at this level but you get my point.

One last thing I'll say is that (and this isn't any revalation) is that he/she thought that Theo would be gone by the deadline but he's basically be relegated to a backup position so its unclear how much of a market there will be for him. My point to this though is GMGM won't ask for much if anything in return.

Sorry for such the long post folks but I was roidragin last night and just wanted to make my point with a little less frustration and the only true point is the team doesn't have any confidence in Theo on the ice.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 13, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise: Listening to you Re: your Caps Rant on The Fan, I quite frankly could care less if you don't EVER talk about the Caps again. You can forget how to spell their name for all I care. Keep talking about how the Redskins are going to win the Superbowl next year. I prefer to keep the losers talking about the losers.

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'd reserve judgment on Chimera after 15-20 games. Too early to jump on him, especially when he's coming from one system in Columbus to a completely different one here. Not to mention getting used to line-mates, getting adjusted to surroundings, and just finding a place on the team.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 13, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Downey would have beaten the snot out of Ovechkin. Don't confuse size and strength with fighting ability. Steckle is bigger than Konopka and you saw what happened there.

If OV wants to fight he needs to take the time to learn/practice. There is a LOT of technique fighting on skates. Unfortunately nobody on the team is capable of teaching him. Erskine is the only decent fighter we have, but he has a wide open, balls to the walls style. You can't have your best player fighting with reckless abandon.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@jsnyd1 re Chimera -- Agreed, he needs time to adjust. I just wish he'd do something impressive.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 13, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I think I read weeks ago that Chimera, although kind of a rough and tumble guy isn't really known as a fighter. He may jump into the fray but maybe isn't a big fighter.
Obviously Ovie was pissed about the slash, but I wonder if this being captain thing is making him think he has to do more stuff to fire up the team?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 13, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

He was also responsible for at least two Bolts goals. If not for the 1st period routing the game could have looked a lot different. For instance Neuvy would not have been chased (he was playing his a$$ off) and the players would not have had to open up the game risking turn overs, players caught up ice, out of position, etc.

Not saying trade Green, but he sucked last night on D.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: _stevo | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask

Brads didn't leave the bench illegally; he was on a line change with Fehr--IMO that's why the NHL is reviewing it because they could remove the instigator penalty from his record. I would be shocked if Brads got suspended or fined. I'm of the good for him sticking up for our Captain mindset.

Agree with you that Chimera is still finding his way with the team--it's a little too much to expect him to be jumping into fights for a team that doesn't have a reputation for fighting.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 13, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond

No I think Ovi gets frustrated sometimes when he gets slashed or high sticked or tripped and refs don't call it. I remember one incident early last season he got high sticked in the face and then when there was no call he went after one of the players--sorry I don't remember details but it was a "huh wha'" moment.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 13, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 13, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Still, if he can't step up when the team is down 7-4 with 5 minutes to play and even Ovi's dropping the gloves and Steckel is taking on the guy with the most fighting majors in the NHL this season, when can he?

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 13, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | January 13, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree. I think Neuvy played very well. Those goals were not his fault. The first one was a crappy giveaway in our zone which led to a 2-on-1 and a great offensive play. The others were not his fault either. In fact, he kept it to only 4 goals. It was because of him that we were able to tie it up at all. I agree with eh pulling of him, but more for his sake and to give the team a kick in the butt.

Anyway, horrible game last night, but not unexpected. My wife and I were both dreading a let-down like this. It happens. Now we have to bounce back and go on another winning streak.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | January 13, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

OV will fight before this season is up. If you want to play the card that it opens him up for future altercations in the future, I have to disagree with you. Look at Vinny Lecavalier. He drops the gloves, it doesn't open him up for anymore altercations, and he is still one of the most productive players on that team. If anything I think it earns him more respect from other players around the league. As much as I hate to say it, the same applies to Sidney Crosby. Still one of the most productive players for his team, If he didn't whine so much not as many people would come after him

Posted by: CapsFan44 | January 13, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

FLDAVE....Steckel is Taller....not bigger. Steckel weighs prob 30 pounds less even though he is taller. I dont know that you can say downie would have beat the snot out of him. Your only opinion is based on the fact that you have never seen OV fight before. Size and wieght come into play in a fight...not just who is taller

Posted by: CapsFan44 | January 13, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

and yes I know my spelling is horrible for everyone waiting to point that out

Posted by: CapsFan44 | January 13, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Chimera was on ice last few mins and should have started something for his new team. Just get Theo out. Clearly his talent is fading and it is obvious Bruce is playing Neuvy so much to see if he can handle being a NHL goalie. Varly will be #1 when he gets back but Neuvy #2 and Theo will be helping Hershey or sent packing,hopefully in a trade to get a fighter....every team needs 1 fighter, if he gets 2 goals a year that is near what gordon or lang will get, albeit they can play D.

Posted by: cpkali | January 13, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan44

I've seen OV fight. Trust me, that is not his game and he would have been pummeled by a guy who is a get under your skin and drop em type of player.

If OV had a chance I doubt Bradley would have jumped in.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse