Morning roundup: Caps, Penguins finally clash

Morning roundup

The Caps have had to wait eight long months to face Pittsburgh again since that anticlimactic, Game 7 collapse in the playoffs, and while it's just the regular season, a win might be a step toward redemption.

"I don't know what the emotion is going to be like," Coach Bruce Boudreau said, shrugging. "But to win anything, we know you're going to have to go through Pittsburgh this year. It will be a tremendous measuring stick and it will let us see where we stand. I know they're going to feel the same way."

Click here to read the full story.

Washington Capitals (31-12-6)
Pittsburgh Penguins (31-19-1)
Mellon Arena, 7:30 p.m.
TV: NHL Network (and not to give NHL Network too much of a plug, but Ovie's best goals are on at 7.)
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

Live game chat: Tonight with The Post's Gene Wang to talk all things Caps-Pens and Ovie-Sid.

*Video: Dan Steinberg brings the Caps back to a dark, dark place.

*Photos: Caps-Penguins playoff history.

*Sidney Crosby on whether he and Alex Ovechkin are buddies off the ice:

"With the way things have gone with the rivalry, that's like asking me if I'm going to be best friends with five guys from the Philadelphia Flyers. It's probably not going to happen." (NHL.com)

*Ovechkin's reaction when he heard who won the Cup last season:

"I was like, 'Jesus.' You know, maybe we could have been there, too. I was disappointed." (NHL.com)

*Crosby is at the top of his game after finding his scoring touch. (ESPN)

*Ah, the good ol' Crosby vs. Ovechkin poll. Kid stuff. (ESPN)

*Caps may say tonight is just another game, but we all know that's not the case. (Examiner)

*The Caps might have some different thoughts, but the Pens' Matt Cooke says the best moment of the Eastern Conference semifinals was Marc Andre-Fleury's save on an Ovechkin breakaway in Game 7. (Post-Gazette)

*Fleury patronizes the Caps: "They're doing good, winning games...but it's the regular season." Pat on the head. (Tribune-Review)

*Ovechkin on the matchup:

*The Internet really needs a lot more Caps-Pens, but have no fear: Tarik and Agent Steinz are on it. More to come, so keep an eye out.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 21, 2010; 9:09 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau wants better work ethic
Next: Caps recall John Carlson

Comments

I know its just the regular season, but I want to pound this team so bad....god I hate the Pens...Cindy and Fleury will eat there words!

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | January 21, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

BAH, new post as I posted:

I honestly don't really care about the "who's better" debate between the two players, just who's team wins. But because I'm bored and have nothing to do here at work, I'll go ahead and waste some time throwing up numbers for this season:

Games Played:

SC: 17
AO: 10

+/- Per Game:
SC: +.24
AO: +.65

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Godard will not get a jersey. Without Erskine in the line up should the game get out of hand it could get ugly between these two rivals.

Posted by: FLDave | January 21, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Just like we talked big last year in the regular season, it's he who drinketh from the Cup is the happiest.
I like our Caps. But it's just practice until May & June.

Posted by: Rocc00 | January 21, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

From last post.

"How about going to a Pens blog. What do you expect when you come onto a Caps board. Pathetic trolling--really.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 9:12

~~
So it's ok because it was posted by a Caps fan?
What do i expect?
I expect hockey talk.Not people talking about who is unemployed or drinking all day.
So you telling me i should expect that?

I replied to a pathetic comment and you call it trolling?

Pathetic.

Posted by: akus2 | January 21, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

A Charlie Troll is here to help us understand the intricacies of hockey! yeah!

Start with offsides today please!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 21, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Pathetic that you would take offense that is. Some posters talk trash. I don't. But I don't get the point of a Pens fan coming here. I don't bother with Pens boards--I expect a fair amount of Caps trash talk there so why would I go there. You clearly like the negative attention and that says more about you.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

This might seem like a dumb question but is the game also on Comcast Sportsnet? I see that its on NHL Network above but if the Caps are playing NHL Network its always blocked out if you live near the DC/Metro region.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 21, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Lol, yeah, there's enough trash talk about the Caps from Caps fans. Don't need a Pens fan to come and pile on ;)

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@DCSportsfan:

Yeah, it's on Comcast tonight. Pregame starts at 7pm.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks jsnyd1, I'm excited tonight I purposely scheduled my customer dinners with clients this week on Monday and Wednesday so I could catch both of the Caps big games this week! I'm pumped!

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 21, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Pathetic that you would take offense that is.

~~~

Jesus. Yes i take offense at what Fro_ said.He was not offering hockey talk, all he did was put people down.

You are offended that i am here because i am a Pens fan,which is funny.
As a friend just told me,"you could just sit at home swilling away your unemployment check...did you expect any better from a Caps board?"

I guess not.

Posted by: akus2 | January 21, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I welcome trolls, as long as they have something noteworthy to say.

So do you?

Posted by: JSchon | January 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

did you expect any better from a Caps board?"

I guess not.

Posted by: akus2 | January 21, 2010 9:48 AM |

Yet you still linger. Hmmm.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 21, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Listen...It's going to be a great game..we should all get along.

If we can agree on only one thing, we all hope that the roof of Mellon doesnt cave in and hurt any of the players.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 21, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

John Carlson is recalled! (from washcaps.com) :]

Posted by: vtcaps08 | January 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, this should be interesting. Guess Erskine and Pothier really aren't playing. Wonder what the D pairs will look like?

52-55
3-27
26-74
89-scratch
???

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Lee, maybe they could explain to us in simple terms why the Steelers are better than the Redskins as well.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"A win might be a step toward redemption." personally a win tonight would be nice, but the only redemption we can get would be to beat them in the playoffs this year on our way to winning the cup.

A regular season win is just a regular season win.

That being said - i hope OV knocks Cindy into the middle of next week - with a legal hit of course.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 21, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

Little known fact;

Pittsburg fans are the best in the WORLD! And if you don't believe me, the will tell you!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

anus2: The rules here are kind of like when you visit a foreign country and get into a car accident. Regardless of who hit who, it is your fault because you are a visitor of their country. If you weren't there, you wouldn't have been in a car to be hit, thus it is your fault. Here in Caps land, you are at fault, no matter what you say. You are a foreigner so no matter what you do, or say, everything is your fault. Sorry, I don't make the rules, I just live by them. LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh, a little piece of advice for those of you that dislike Crosby and want to continue to dislike Crosby. DON'T WATCH THE NHL NETWORK SPECIAL ABOUT HIM BRINGING THE CUP HOME. Over the past two years I doubt anyone disliked Crosby more than me. I didn't mind him when he joined the league, but his constant complaining made me dislike him. Then I made the mistake of watching that stupid special on teh NHL network and now I kind of like the kid. NOT A FAN, please don't get me wrong. It did make me see that he still still a humble, small town kid, that is excited to be living the dream of playing in the NHL. Much like our Ovi, he appreciates that he gets to play hockey for a living. He was great to the people of his home town, carried the Cup around in hospitals, and was even (this was said by the famous Stanley Cup dude) the first player to ask if he could wash the Stanley Cup after a long day of being passed around.

Anyhow, again if you want to keep your dislike, or hatred for Crosby at a high level DO NOT WATCH the special.

That is all.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

What do you expect?

Canadians just like everyone else love their own first.

Crosby is the national hero and Ovechkin because he is Russian is the anti-hero.

Just like the Canadians showed poor sportsmanship in booing John Carlson after scoring the winning goal in the junior tournament.

Canadians would like you to believe based on their public persona portrayed by politicians that they are a tolerant country that embraces diversity.

In truth, they are no better or worse than anyone else.

If Ovechkin had the same skills and his name was Wayne Martin and he was from British Columbia, Canadians would be hyping him to the moon.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 21, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good point Lee. I've heard them say time and again that they're the city of champions. As often as they repeat it, it must be true.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Interesting fact from the ESPN Crybaby vs OV poll. 3 people in Idaho voted. The bad new 2 voted for Sid 1 for OV. The good news, 3 people in Idaho watch hockey.

Posted by: billd2 | January 21, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Sloan is a really nice guy and a god story, but he is a borderline at best NHL player, especially on D, at this point of his career.

Posted by: JSchon | January 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Habs just released Laraque. I guess the Caps have to at least consider picking him up. Think he's owed less than $1mm and a UFA after this season.

Posted by: kjm1971 | January 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

good story, not god story...

Posted by: JSchon | January 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Well I'm going to ask a question to Pittsburg Fans and I ask it kindly so I expect a kind response? If you are a Penguins fan why do you come to Caps message boards? As you can see I'm a DCSportsFan. I don't go the Cavs message boards for basketball, Cowboys message board for football, and Penguins message board for hockey. Why do you come to them? I could understand you going to an NHL message board that talked about the NHL in general, but why not go to the penguins message boards? Why come here if your not caps fan? I'm just wondering because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 21, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Lee, they could also explain the finer nuances of the game re: icing.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I like that a Pens fan has the user id anus2 and honestly thinks that he'd once again try to persuade Capitals fans on a Capitals' message board that his team is better. Cute. Dumb, but cute. Go anus2! Does he get inducted into the Doofus Brigade or is he not allowed 'cause he's Canadian? =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 21, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Actually I've always liked Crosby. I ADORE Ovi of course. I love the sheer skill and ability to make something out of nothing with both Ovi and Crosby. But I think it's great when there are great match ups and rivalries, and these two players bring out the best in each other. Really how amazing is it that the league has two once-in-a-generation athletes at the same time.

That's why I have no patience with Pens fans trolling. They should just go to their own boards and enjoy the upcoming the game. Really it should be great.

GO CAPS and we will be "rockin' the red" in this house tonight.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 21, 2010
----------

Probably not that many Pens fans in the city of Pittsburg, whether it be Texas, California or Kansas.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 21, 2010 11:05 AM

Huh?

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Good times ... :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 21, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 21, 2010 11:05 AM

Huh?

Posted by: DCSportsFan28

It's spelled Pittsburgh. They hate it when you forget the H.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

And the NHL just makes stuff up to spin the rivalry. In Ovi's interview about what he felt when he heard the Pens won the SC he said that he was happy for Geno and Gonch. Go to one of the NHL write-ups and they talk about a Malkin Ovi rivalry and how they don't like each other.

With players moving around and bonds formed when they play as juniors in their own country, my take is that many of these players are friends or are friendly off the ice and are competitive when on the ice.

So I take all this Like/Dislike stuff with players who don't really know each other off the ice-Ovi and Crosby for example--with a huge grain of salt. Both are obviously fiercely competitive and talented and my hunch is that both have a healthy respect for the other's abilities.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Jschon,

your mistake was understandable. We have Charlie Trolls here, so of course you are going to reference God!

I myself like it when the little black rubber thing goes in the net thingy and the lights go on and everyone is so happy! Except the other team. Then they are sad!

See, I know a lot about hockey!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 21, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Crosby is kind to his mother and visits sick kids in hospital. On the ice, he dives at every opportunity, whines constantly to the referees, and engages in physical play only if he can cheap shot an unsuspecting player. As the face of the league, he has zero personality. I don't hate him, but I hate the way that the league protects him and forces him on the fan base.

Posted by: zmega | January 21, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I love how our Ovi just kind of bulldozed his way into the NHL's attention by performing on the ice--where it matters. He sure is fun to watch.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

No more links to blogs? Seems to go in waves. Links for a while ... no links for a while ...

Posted by: no_private_info | January 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sigh-so true about the links.

Gotta get back to work now since I'm not getting that unemployment check as our dear Pens fan so kindly stated. That is one very classy fan--hope he knows the definition of irony.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan |
-------------

Actually, the user name is "akus2."

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 21, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns
_________________________________________

Gotta address this one, since it's a common misconception of the inside-the-beltway dolts (no wonder the Federal government is such an innefficent mess). The national unemployment rate is 10 percent. Pittsburgh's is under 8 percent. Washington DC's is more than 12 percent. Yes, our nation's capital suffers some of the worst employment conditions east of Detroit.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | January 21, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumpy66 | January 21, 2010 12:07 PM |

Considering that most in the federal govenrment dont even live in the city, how does that count towards your stat?

Posted by: Rocc00 | January 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse