Morning Roundup: Caps Put on a Show at Home

[The Morning Reading List is now the Morning Roundup. Adjust your life as necessary.]

Here's a short video we filmed after the Caps beat the Leafs in the Verizon Center opener, 6-4, Saturday night. Tarik gives his insta-reaction on the atmosphere and Semyon Varlamov's first game of the season.

(Please forgive the horrific filiming/speaking skills of the videographer; hoping to do this via webcam in the future.)

Getting back to Varlamov, his early-game heroics against Toronto were further proof that the kid's for real:

The Washington Capitals held a 1-0 advantage midway through the first period of their home opener Saturday night when a slap shot caromed off the boards, behind the goal that Semyon Varlamov protected.
In the split second it took for the puck to slide toward the net, he stretched across the goal mouth and extended his left leg for a toe-pad save on Toronto's John Mitchell. Roughly a minute later, Varlamov thwarted Toronto's Viktor Stalberg from tipping in a short-handed goal from atop the crease.

Some more Caps-related odds and ends:

* The young guns go to the Redskins game as members of the media. Check out the D.C. Sports Bog for a full recap. Best part is Nicklas Backstrom on his choice of a Sean Taylor jersey:

"Actually, I got Ovie's," Backstrom said. "I was sleeping over at Ovie's house [Saturday] night, so I just got his jersey. I usually wear Santana Moss. He's a catcher, right?"

* Speaking of hilarity, found this curious poll on ESPN's hockey page:

1) Louisianna and Mississippi are the only two states who think Ovechkin can score more than 75 goals in his best NHL season.
2) New Mexico and Alabama are pretty sure he'll get 71-75.
3) Idaho, Wyoming, Arkansas and Kentucky? Non-believers.

* Interesting ways to Rock the Red (On Frozen Blog)

* More on Ovechkin and friends at the Skins game (Alex Ovetjkin)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 5, 2009; 6:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin's Mom, Leonsis Talk Olympics
Next: Boudreau Makes Changes on Blueline

Comments

silly Backie, redskins don't catch, they drop. anyhoo. can't wait for the rest of the season. if I had to guess I'm thinking Theo will start in Philly, just because he doesn't do too terribly bad, except of course that 7-1 loss there last yr *ouch* but the last time he played there we won 2-1...so we'll see. I dont care what goalie plays as long as ovie, semin, laich, and backie continue the trend they've had these first 2 games.

Posted by: capsfan387 | October 5, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

All I can picture is a teenage girl slumber party with Backis giving Ovie a makeover while they talk about cute guys.

Posted by: trunkenmath | October 5, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

The videographer sounds hot:-)

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Marge, you may be expecting a little much for our top guns to continue at that torrid pace.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts -

1st) Louisiana and Mississippi know their hockey...It is Montreal South...

2nd) I really dont know who I want in net this week. Im thinking Jose on Tuesday..and if he plays well, how can you not let him play Thursday? No knock on Semyon, which would be a fine choice as well. Bruce said Jose is the #1, so Im guessing he gets his shot Tuesday..

Posted by: SA-Town | October 5, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Leafs game for a second time yesterday.

Get this: Varlamov was outstanding despite giving up 4 goals.

It was the defense that let him down in the 3rd period and even that 1st goal where he overcommitted, Green shouldn't have allowed Stempniak to skate into the middle of the ice. Had Green stayed on his feet and kept him outside, Varlamov likely makes the save.

If you have the chance to watch the game again, make sure to take note of the numerous amazing saves Varlamov made, particularly early when the outcome was still in doubt.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

The point being that despite the route, Varlamov faced far more difficult scoring chances than Theodore did in Boston. The Bruins offense sputtered that night for whatever reason (hopefully that reason was mostly our defense as opposed to them just being flat).

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

i'm pretty sure BB played and/or coached in mississippi at some point. they no doubt are familiar with his style of play. either that, or they thought ovie plays basketball...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 5, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

According to ESPN.com tomorrow nights game vs. the Flyers will be on Versus again (F Comcast!). I have heard that the Hardtimes Cafe in Springfield carries the games on Versus. Anyone know if any bars in Arlington/Alexandria will be showing it?
Thanks

Posted by: eorr53 | October 5, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

bailey's in ballston, frontpage. in clarendon try mr. days. but baileys and frontpage willd ef show the game.

Posted by: capsfan387 | October 5, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Ok, Thanks. I kinda figured the Frontpage would since they advertise themselves as "The Caps Bar", but I wasn't sure about Bailey's because I know they use DirecTV for a lot of there sports.

Posted by: eorr53 | October 5, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The Caps scoreboard Sat. night advertised the Front Page as the official Caps viewing site for tomorrow's game.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 5, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

If you live in the "Burn" area, The Original Steakhouse will air the game with volume and its $1 beer night.

I'm preparing my checklist for tomorrow night right now...

1. Beer
2. Boneless wings with ranch
3. Girls with low self-esteem...

and whats 4 again?

Posted by: JSchon | October 5, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@ tmac,

I agree. Green was out of position alot during the game. I don't remember him playing so poorly in the defense zone last year until the very end. I think he needs to focus on skating backwards before he thinks about skating forwaards.

I also caught myself wondering if 'Sarge' was in the line-up. If you are unseen on D, that generally means your not getting beat or making mistakes.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | October 5, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

That ESPN poll is a riot.

Also, my friends and I were just talking during yesterday's game about which Caps we would dress for Skins games if we could. Made me miss Zubrus. I thought Varly would make a good kicker -- just a hunch.

Posted by: nicko | October 5, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Is this Ovi for President results? I didn't know he is Republican...

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 5, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Schultz has not been dressed yet.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 5, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Commonwealth in Columbia Heights has Versus - I watched them play the Bruins there last week. I'll probably be there again tomorrow night.

Posted by: tbhayf | October 5, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

richmondphil,

I'm pretty sure cadlecreek1's comment about Schultz wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I could be wrong though...

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I voted just like many of the "Red States" and I am in Mississippi. I am just glad there are more capitals fans just me down here. Yea Coach BB is well known down here for taking the Sea Wolves to the promised land when he was coaching them. This year feels like a special year for both the Caps and the Saints. Just got that feeling!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 5, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

no more pics of the retired players on the banners - its about time. Now if they can just get rid of the attendance banners for the mystics!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | October 5, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with the "Defense let him down" argument about Varly. He was consistently out of position and over commited. Beninati got it right when he said Irbe wanted to take Neuiverth's calmness and add it to Varly's acrobatics. Varlamov needs some ritalin when he plays!

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 5, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

richmond and tmac,

I only have caught the last bit of the leafs game and did not look at the line-ups or stats. It was a thought during the bits of the game I saw that I hadn't seen Schultz, did not even think to check the line-up sheets for BB's best friend on D.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | October 5, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

My in-laws are BuffaSlugs. I really do not get the Ovie hate they seem to have for no good reason up there. As evidenced by this article in the Buffalo News.

I just don't get it.

Posted by: lornemyoung | October 5, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Schultz soon, probably in Erskine's place. Don't know when or if Sloan gets a shot.

ShaMo's impressed me. I've been one of those calling for him to be traded but I'm not so sure now. Juice is doing just fine as well. Greenie's got to settle down and get back to basics. He had a pretty good game 1 but he epitomized the let-down as game 2 went on.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 5, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

They hate OV b/c he got into a dust-up with Danny Briere when he played for Buffalo which they viewed as a cheap shot (I think OV hit him from behind).

Then, the Ryan Miller goal highlight you see of OV shows him slamming into the goalie as he scores...which this reporter highlights.

Posted by: Jaymagz | October 5, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The Sabres' hate comes from Ovi's hit on Briere into the boards in December 2006. Aside from Pens fans, there's no greater Ovi haters out there.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 5, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

rphil - I can't believe you said Schultz wears dresses! :P

Posted by: puckman | October 5, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I concur with Sonyask and Jaymagz regarding the point where Buffalo turned on him. They conveniently forget that Briere paid him back with two spears. One that earned him a 5 minute major and a game misconduct in a game that had no implications. It was the last game of the season in 2007 @ Verizon when Buffalo had qualified for the playoffs and our beloved Caps had secured 14th in the Conference. That was also the discouraging game that had Sabres fans, that may have actually outnumbered Caps fans, were cheering "Season's over."

They might also be ticked because of Ovi's SICK goal last year against them.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

no way they should put schultz in for the lumberjack when we are playing the flyers

Posted by: _stevo | October 5, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@rovingbandit

So you think Varlamov was a roving bandit?

I kid.

Anyway, I don't know how anybody could say the team (not just the defense) didn't let him down at certain points in the game.

One of the goals started with Erskine fumbling the puck, backpedaling to get it then sending it up the boards toward Laich. By that time, a Leafs player read the situation and came swooping in from behind Laich and was able to take it all the way in on net. Varlamov blocked the intial shot and another Leaf was able to skate in pretty much uncontested to poke in the rebound. It's difficult to control rebounds from that close in. Varlamov did good just to stop the initial shot.

Another goal started when the Leafs did a little criss-cross play and Poti stuck with the guy in the middle. Jurcina reacted too slowly and wasn't able to pick up the guy on the wing in time. Similar to the other goal, the Leaf player skated unimpeded to the net and Varlamov did well just to stop the initial shot. I believe that was the play where Gordon got his stick on the puck but didn't do enough with it and an uncovered trailing Leaf poked it in.

On another goal, Varlamov was screened and the puck was redirected at least once if not twice. I don't think any goalie could do much about that flukey type of play. It wasn't even an intentional deflection from what I recall.

On the first goal, Varlamov did overcommit trying to cut off the short side but Green went down to block the shot when he probably should have made sure to keep Stempniak out of the middle of the ice. Poti was covering another Leaf camped out on the other side of the goal. If Green stayed on his feet and kept Stempniak to the outside, Varlamov had the angle covered. I wonder if this was a situation where Varalmov wasn't able to communicate effectively with his defense. Maybe not though because the play happened somewhat quickly. Just a thought...

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

As far as positives, Varlamov came up big a number of times.

The wraparound attempt early in the game where Varlamov showed his length and athleticism by getting his left leg out just in time.

The turnover by Ovechkin on an early PP that nearly led to a SHG. Ovechkin made a cross-ice pass that got knocked down in our defensive zone by a Leafs player who then made a pass to a guy standing alone in front of our net. The guy took a couple of shots but Varlamov held strong and the guy didn't even come close to scoring.

There were a couple of other scoring chances where Varlamov deflected shots away with his right leg. In one of those instances, he had to quickly adjust his positioning and get his pad out in time, demonstrating both his athleticism and quick reflexes. I remember the first time I saw it live it didn't seem like a big deal until they showed the replay.

There were a few other big stops he made like the time a puck came to a Leaf player right in front and Varlamov cut off the bottom half of the goal and stopped the first attempt before covering up the secon. Then there was that rifled shot from close in on the right wing shortly after the Leafs' first goal where Varlamov was in perfect position to raise his left shoulder and deflect the puck away. That play started with a defensive breakdown.

Again, I think the only goal where Varlamov clearly made a legitimate mistake was the first one and even then, I think better communication between Varlamov and Green as well as better decision-making by Green could have made a big difference in the outcome.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I am always behind the times, so I am reposting this.

Did anyone see the Semin interview with Russ Thaller? I missed it.

Also, did anyone see the interview of Crosby and Malkin in the last pre-game show? While reviewing the playoffs, they commented on OV's knee-to-knee collision with Malkin, they both insinuated that it was a dirty play. I am not surprise that Crosby would say that, but Malkin? I thought they were friends again.

Posted by: hock1 | October 5, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that Ovechkin did not mean to go knee-on-knee when he hit Gonchar but I can see how opposing players and fans would think that.

I am willing to bet we would be saying the exact same thing if the situation was reversed.

Bottom line: Who cares what they think or say? That play is long in the past. Their opinions don't change a thing.

I wonder if Crosby thinks that hacking Marc Staal across the left ankle with his stick after a clean hit should be considered a dirty play?

How about upper-cutting a guy in his nuts from behind?

How about jumping a guy in the faceoff circle when he's looking down wating for the puck to drop?

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Two games in and we look nasty! No slow start to this season!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 5, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

As my daughter likes to say, we look sick nasty so far.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | October 5, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@Sonyask,

I can't believe that Sabres jab...good lord...Ovie hasn't even had a chance to run over Miller yet!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 5, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

For those needing a place to watch the Caps vs. Flyers Tuesday night: Union Jacks in the Ballston Commons Mall sent me an e-mail promising they'd have the game on their HD big screen and offering food and drink specials as well.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 5, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

union jacks blows for hockey

Posted by: doughless | October 5, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

keep ShaMo!! the guy has turned a corner. i was a doubter, too. I think his arbitration contract is going to look like a good deal before years end if he keeps up his current pace.

Posted by: doughless | October 5, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Is Nylander practicing with the team?

Think there will be any line-up changes for Philthy tomorrow?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 5, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

So where is Tarik blogging these days?

Posted by: Hatfield223 | October 5, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Watch the NJ/PHI highlights. One goalie made a couple amazing saves. The other looked like crap.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 5, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

tarik tweeted that there could be some d changes. here are the pairings this am

mo-green (mo green owns vegas)
poti-erskin
schultz-jurcina
sloan-pothier

so all you schultz lovers may get your wish. double nickle in on tuesday. no doubt to add some toughness v philly.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 5, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 5, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I like Sarge -- think it's going to be a good season for him. Even I had to chuckle about this, though.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 5, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i hope schultz does well too. we're going to need to rely on him at some point this year...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 5, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I expect Schultz to put Richards in a headlock at some point during the game.

Speaking of that, has anyone ever seen him with a scowl on his face? He always looks like a deer in headlights, even when he got into that little skirmish last season.

Seriously though, Schultz did look good throughout most of the preseason.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

yeah Schultzie looks about as menacing as little red riding hood. He's gotta work on his game face a little more.

and i'm all for keeping ShaMo. He's underrated but a tad overpaid. Weird as that sounds.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@ tmac,

-------------------------------------

He played poorly (defensively) a large part of last year. The only reason his defensive flaws got looked at more closely is when he started having trouble scoring goals.
This year when he stated his aim was to score 50 goals, I cringed. More time in the offensive end means less time in the defensive end.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Double nickle in his first fisticuffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDB4MJwNZA0&feature=player_embedded

Okay... so he only threw one punch that didn't even land. You have to start somewhere, right?

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

My point is if Varly were in position for the first save, he could use his athleticism to stop the rebound. The defense could do better at clearing the crease and slot out, but your goalie needs to be able to stop a first rebound without a defenseman's help.

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

when did green ever say his aim was to score 50 goals this year?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 5, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@rovingbandit,

I agree that Varlamov can get a little wild at times and needs to work on his positioning.

I just feel that some people (not necessarily you) tend to simply look at the final score or misread how individual plays occured when determining if a goalie had a good or bad game.

In some cases, a goalie can give up multiple goals and have a good game. You may not agree that was the case on Saturday but that's how I saw it. I didn't think that was the case in Game 7 against Pittsburgh.

In other cases, a goalie can give up 1 or 2 goals and have a bad game where he gets bailed out by his defense or an opposing team that isn't creating many scoring chances.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's not over analyze 2 games into the season...I know we are all bored on a Monday, but no one played that 3rd period- the game was over...everyone played really well including Varley. Just my 2 cents- keep nit-picking if you like.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

My overarching point is it is too early to say Varly is deserving of equal time with Theo. Varlamov has had these issues in all of the games I have seen him, although he is getting better, which is good for the future. I do not want to see him pushed into a position he isn't ready for, leaving us with another Jim Cary...

Posted by: rovingbandit | October 5, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1

Green recently said he wanted to score 40 this year. I think he just threw it out there during an interview.

cstanton1 said 50 but I don't think that was the point he was getting at. Whether it was 40 or 50, he was just saying he's worried about where Green's priorities are.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from the 2014 mama Ovie thread:

First of all just a quick note to multiple people who got on Ted's back and said that he's all about the money. While I criticized him for his stance in my original post I totally disagree with this. If anyone thinks that he's making any money off the Capitals you're living in a fantasy world. As Ted said many times owning an NHL team is all about the pleasures that come with it. It's not really a good business investment with a few exceptions. There's only a handful of teams in the NHL that actually turn a significant profit. As hard as it is to believe the Capitals are a money losing enterprise for Ted. I'm sure it's better now that it was when they played in front of a half empty arena, but he's still not making any money off all of this so yes, as fans, we should be grateful for the product he put together and for the way he runs the club. I have a lot of knowledge about club ownership in various sports and Ted is without a doubt one of the very best owners in any pro sport.

Posted by: ranndino | October 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the Semin interview with Russ Thaller? I missed it
Posted by: hock1 | October 5, 2009 11:05 AM
--------------------------

Posted by: tess2201 | October 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Jim Carey was a Vezina winner for us, and traded to Boston for some pretty good talent as I recall. Of course, he completely fizzled for them, but he played well as a Capital.

Varly still has positioning/over-commitment issues, but he had the drive to win last year when it seemed like Theo didn't. I also think we'd prefer Varly breathing down Theo's neck if we want Theo in top form this season.

Posted by: Raber | October 5, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201
Thank you.

Posted by: hock1 | October 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

-- Some replies on the 2014 stuff from previous thread --

@Wiley_One1

The owners do actually try to prohibit signed athletes from doing certain dangerous activities like skiing. Golf isn't deemed to be dangerous enough, but yeah, last year the Kings lost their best young D for the whole season after he managed to totally badly injure his leg in a golf cart accident.
@rphilli721

The athletes aren't dumb. They know the Olympics are not some mystical amateur event and that they're very commercialized now. That's irrelevant to them. It's all about the prestige of representing your country at the highest possible level of competition in the sport of hockey. The level of Olympic tournaments (when all NHL stars play for their respective countries) is much higher than that of the Stanley Cup playoffs. On the top 5-6 teams even the 4th line is as good as many top lines on NHL clubs. I love these tournaments because it's the best hockey you'll ever see. The level of play is just completely off the hook. I mean just look at the proposed Russian roster. No NHL club would ever be able to put a line-up like this together these days due to the salary cap. Winning Olympic gold is the achievement of a lifetime, at least for European players. So it's not about money. It's about prestige, bragging rights and country pride (patriotism).

@gratefuldid

I've already answered that question. It's very simple. The only difference is that the 2010 Olympics are in North America and the 2014 in Russia. It's the usual North American local yokel mentality (sorry if that offends some, but it's the truth).

@NFeKPo

It's not that simple with FIFA either. They do have a "country over club" rule when the clubs are required to let their players go and play in international competitions (and all the pro leagues pause their seasons during international windows like the upcoming weekend for World Cup qualifiers). However, clubs are constantly whining and trying to circumvent these rules often by not releasing players citing non-existent injuries. I can see the club side in this also. It's a lose-lose proposition for them. They get no positive return from their players playing for their countries and take all the risk (possible injuries). Often a player gets seriously hurt and is out for like 6 months. Not only the club has to keep paying him, but they often also have to spend money on getting a replacement (since the players called up to play for their countries are usually the best ones and are very important in how the club does) which is very expensive (transfer fee + contract).

Posted by: ranndino | October 5, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@ tmac2yao

I'm glad you've spent all that time analyzing in detail Varly's performance. 100% correct. However, some people have their own perceptions and nothing you say seems to move them. Just like you said the only goal Varly might have possibly been at fault for was the first one. The other 3 were unstoppable and would've been goals regardless of who was in net.

@rovingbandit

@ tmac2yao

@rovingbandit

You are very wrong. You might be a new fan, but you can talk to anyone who knows hockey. The goalie's job is to stop the initial shot. Everything else is a bonus. Stopping rebounds is all about pure luck (where it happened to bounce in relation to where the goalie ended up after the initial save) and athleticism (some goalies like Varly are able to recover quicker). Blaming Varly for goals #2, 3 & 4 in this game is ridiculous. One was a deflection and the 2 others rebounds off great initial saves that put him out of position simply because he's still slightly human. In fact, one of the shots bounced off someone else and went across the net. He still managed to save the first shot (an incredible feat of athleticism), but was helpless on the rebound.

Posted by: ranndino | October 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the little mess above, but this blog doesn't give any feedback on why a post doesn't get through sometimes so I had to do it the trial and error way and some quick copying and pasting resulted in the doubling up of the part of my post.

@Tarik

May I actually make a usability suggestion for the techies that run this blog? It should give users feedback on what the character limit is as well as highlight the words that were flagged as offensive when a post gets automatically stopped by the system. It's very annoying for me as a user to try and figure out why a post didn't go through and have to retry it multiple times. Good thing I saved it elsewhere too. Not a good user experience.

Posted by: ranndino | October 5, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

randino, stopping rebounds is not really all about luck. to notch goalies not only stop the first shot, but are able to direct the rebounds out of harms way...last year i recall theo stopping lots of first shots, but left big fat rebounds in scoring position for the other team. not saying that's what happened in saturday's game. it also helps to be young and gumby like to get some of those rebounds...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 5, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

randino: dcsportsfan beat me to it. The goalie's job as I've always heard it is stop the initial shot and CONTROL the rebound. By "control" he must either corral the rebound himself or direct the puck through pad or blocker off to the corner. It has never been said, and I don't think you are trying to imply, that having the puck rebound straight out into the slot on an easy shot is acceptable.

Now, on the other hand, if it's a ten-bell save to begin with, then the defensemen must be responsible for the rebound.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse