Morning roundup: Caps roll to new record

(Elise Amendola/AP)

With last night's 4-1 victory over the Bruins -- thanks in part to the outstanding play of goalie Jose Theodore -- the Caps made history. Eleven games, 11 wins, and a whole lot of goals.

Was there ever any doubt Washington would find a way to win this one, even when Boston was up 1-0? Maybe, but the Caps themselves knew they'd find a way out:

"We didn't play really well, but we found a way to win, because they believed we could win," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "When you're on a winning streak, you find ways, good things happen. When you're losing, you hit crossbars and the other goalie makes incredible saves like Theo did tonight." | Full story »

Some morning links:

*Postgame wrap-up: Jose Theodore was "tremendous," Boudreau said.

*It seems that 11 straight wins might be a significant accomplishment. (Bog)

*Creeping into historic NHL territory. (DC Examiner)

*Ovechkin: "Now I drive slower. I am a bit wiser." (Alex Ovetjkin)

*Bruins' "perfect storm of failure." (Boston Globe)

*"Think about it Caps fans, 11 straight wins! Now all of us would gladly trade these for 11 straight in the playoffs, but still this is an incredible accomplishment." (Joe B)

*"The Washington Capitals are playing like a team that may never lose again." (NHL.com)

*Highlights:

*It's "Take Your Dad to Work Day" for the Caps. (Fanhouse)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 3, 2010; 8:54 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 4, Bruins 1
Next: Michal Neuvirth injured

Comments

I'll be pleased if Theo keeps making the case for being just the veteran net presence we need for the playoffs. Fantastic game for Theo.

For the team, a wilfull 3rd period. Seemed like from the start of the 2nd we knew who would win.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 3, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

We'll take it!!!

Posted by: capscoach | February 3, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Great quote from the Boston Globe:

"The Capitals, the best team in the East, may not have played their best game of their 11-win string. But in the critical moments that can turn a loss into a win, they emerged. Theodore made timely, game-changing saves. Poti rushed the puck like no Boston defenseman can. Their forwards converted scoring chances into goals."

Posted by: Sonyask | February 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me that Chimera is the chosen one.......he has brought balance to the force...sorry I could not resist. Once he was traded for and Flash moved to center, everything fell into place offensively. Now to start the daily argument over which crease clearing defenseman the Caps should trade for..

Posted by: RichC3 | February 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Caps win comes first, who contributes comes second.

With that said, that is Theo's second best game all year (Detroit was his best).

Just put Green in for Sloan and away we go!

Glad all you hockey "experts" were right about Phaneuf and Giguere. (I know, it's only 1 game, but it's amazing what a change in scenery and coaches will do for a player)...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Particularly with the Sharks' loss last night, the Globe should change that phrase to best team in the NHL -- we're on top of the standings, anyway. Sharks go on a 6 game road trip, and Chicago's 5 points behind.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

You are right rich...

I think top to bottom we are the best offensive group in the league. Not just goal scoring, but there isn't a line that I get nervous when they are on the ice.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 3, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I love olympic hockey, but I sure hope the break does not screw up what the Caps have going...feels like our year, but an injury here or olympic schedule could screw us up completely! Congrats on 11 in a row...a nice step in becoming the best Caps team ever!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 3, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Phaneuf reminds me of a former Leaf/Cap Al Iafrate... extremely talented but very moody

Posted by: joek443 | February 3, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I actually think last night was Theo's best, and Detriot was second best.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 3, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I finally got tickets to my first game this season, on Friday...

If I get snowed out I'm going to be SO PISSED.

Dear Snow Gods,

Please hold off on Friday's snow until after midnight. Thanks in Advance.

Sincerely,
-VTDuffman

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 3, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

*Ovechkin: "Now I drive slower. I am a bit wiser." (Alex Ovetjkin)

I think what Ovie said was "bad weather"

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

This is definitely the best Capitals team since the inception of the franchise, and I think they're clearly the best team in the East at this point. Very entertaining to watch too.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | February 3, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Jeff. Looking forward to the game against the Pens Sunday -- should be a great one.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Don't trust the Pens Fan! His post is the most blatant case of "Reverse Mojo" I've ever seen! Begone Evil One, take your JuJu elsewhere!

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey, At what point is the media going to take notice that we are now the top team in the NHL? I want it all...we have waited years for this moment. Let us bask in the glory as we ride this train to raising the cup.

Posted by: eyechip | February 3, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

No reverse mojo intended ... as regulars here know, I enjoy watching the Caps (when the Pens aren't on tv).

The one exception I'll make to that statement is when the Caps play on CSN+. I've gotten so spoiled watching HD games, and the CSN+ games are nearly unwatchable.

I think the Caps should get all their games on the main CSN channel. They are a title contending team, while the Wizards are what they always are .... pitiful.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | February 3, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

The fact that the Wizards are still on tv is a joke...

But you are right, HD is the ONLY way to watch hockey on tv.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

According to The Bog, Friday's Caps game has been moved from CSN+ to CSN HD!

Posted by: wnorton81 | February 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman: I would think the snow would help you, because no way are they canceling the game and the bars will be less crowded because the K Street poseurs won't venture out into the cold.

You were taking the Metro in anyway, right? Right. So enjoy. Your biggest competition sounds like it will be the Capitals Dads.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think there was a post here last week saying that there was only one more game on CSN+ this year and that there would be fewer next year...anyone recall that post? The poster said they had talked to someone at Comcast...I just upgraded to a HD tv and now my wife watches...

Posted by: jeets | February 3, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 3, 2010 9:32 AM |

To be fair- things in Toronto couldn't have gotten (is that a word?) any worse, they could have only gotten better.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 3, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Is it time to reconsider Theo's nicknames?

Out goes ThreeOrMore, in comes ShutTheDoor or perhaps ScoreNoMore?

Taking a twist on a Zep tune, "In Through the Theodore" as into the Stanley Cup?

We adore Theodore!

I'm happy for the guy. He's had a rough year.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 3, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

With the trade deadline approaching, these Caps are sending a message to GMGM......"leave us alone!"

Posted by: fansince1980 | February 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

'These go to 11,"
Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2010 9:46 AM

A+

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 3, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay Applebaum - Ovechkin said, "it's bad weather," not "a bit wiser..."

Posted by: irockthered | February 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a game. I love that yesterday I called out Pothier's old school hip checks and he came through with two of em last night!

Man...when Theo is on is he ON! He really seems to have a fire lit under his butt with the young goalies coming on strong. Keep it up Theo!

I'll be hitting up MSG tomorrow night and can't wait. Wish I knew where all the dads were so I could buy them a round....wait....they should by me a round.....

lets go caps!

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | February 3, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

'These go to 11,"
Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2010 9:46 AM

A+

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 3, 2010 11:03 AM |

X2

Posted by: Fro_ | February 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

It would be insane if they went to 12....

Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I dont want to jinx anything but I think it's very likely they 'll keep the winning streak up to the Ottawa game. Atlanta might be close too.

Posted by: guer_j | February 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

XI !!!!!

CAPITOLVS OMNIA VINCIT!

Can't call Theodore "3-or-more" no more!

Crush the Rags!
Though my earlier analysis of big GCY/TOR/ANA trade may have been too ambitious, it is gratifying to see all three of the TOR acquisitions having a positive impact in their debut...against the Devils, no less!
Also, thanks DET for knocking off SJS--as a result, CAPS are (at very least) tied for most points in NHL!!!

C-A-P-S! CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's get Number 12 tomorrow night, in honor of the great Alan Hangsleben, the best Capital to ever wear the number.

Although I heard some guy named Bonzai, or something that sounds like that, also wore twelve.

Posted by: Gould23 | February 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Just be thankful Theo is actually stopping the puck.

If he wins the cup for us, I will be the first to buy a new Theo slogan t-shirt.

The fact that the caps score 3.89 goals a game...will help any average goalie.

(and I give him sole credit for the B's win last night and the Wings game a few weeks ago)

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

haha! Islanders just placed Brendan Witt on waivers

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | February 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Came here to post about Witt.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Why are some people quicker to send a player to the dog house then to invite them to the head of the table? Does the "what have you done for me lately" mentality only apply when they have a bad game?

Theo has played very well for the past 8 games for an offensive-minded team with what many characterize as a mediocre defense. It's not like he hasn't done this before (for Montreal). Fine, don't buy his sweater, but give the man his due props.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 3, 2010 9:32 AM |

What is this even supposed to mean?

Phanuef is exactly what I said he was. I said nothing about Giggy. He's a very capable #1.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 3, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Also, Theo sucks. Trade him.

and Semin, that bum. 3 minors? What an engimatic, lazy, Russian, enigma, enigmatic, enigma.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Just saw this on Twitter from Tarik. :-(

"Just landed in New York, and I'm hearing Michal Neuvirth has a lower body injury and won't start tonight in Norfolk. Not so good."

Posted by: wocoliz | February 3, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wocoliz | February 3, 2010 12:33 PM |

Eh...Lets hope it's just a day-to-day thing...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 3, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

sounds like more enigma to me, czech enigma this time

Posted by: joek443 | February 3, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Just be thankful Theo is actually stopping the puck." - SoaringCaps

Theo's been great at stopping the first shot all year. His Achilles' heel has been rebound control. When he kicks them out to the corners or holds onto them, he's great. He's been much improved in this area the past month (maybe because he's standing up a little more, less butterfly?).

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hearing about Witt being waived by the Islanders made me think - what if he had agreed to stay with the Caps through the re-build, rather than abandoning ship to a more "winning" team (Nashville, Islanders?) Wonder if he is kicking himself for that decision now?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 3, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Witt and the Caps got off on the wrong foot from the beginning. He was never as good as both he and his dad thought he was.

He was gonna be the guy who would replace Scott Stevens... only in our dreams

Posted by: joek443 | February 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Witt is horrible. Pre-lockout, when he could clutch and grab, he was an okay defense man. Now, he's just horrible.

Bring back Doig before Witt. (kidding...)

Posted by: richmondphil | February 3, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@AleksanderOMunchkin : Is it time to reconsider Theo's nicknames?

I nominate Jose 'Matador'.

Posted by: guer_j | February 3, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think RMNB's right on target in their recap:

We’re not documenting a successful season here; we’re documenting the path to a championship. Respecfully, I don’t want to hear any more talk of a Spinal Tap “This one goes to eleven” streak.

This one does not go to eleven. This one goes to June.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 4, 2010 5:00 AM | Report abuse