Morning roundup: Caps stay hot

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Who needs NFL playoffs? Here's some late-morning reading material:

*Caps win sixth in seven games by beating the Flyers, 5-3. (Tarik)

*Laich breaks out of his offensive slump with a three-point night. (Geno)

*Tom Heath reports that Ted Leonsis faces a Wednesday deadline (that basically isn't much of a deadline, so don't hold your breath) to buy the Wizards and Verizon Center from the Pollin family.

*Postgame blog and video, plus a photo gallery with great shots by Toni Sandys.

*From Saturday, here's Ted and the Capstronaut. (Steinz)

*Full highlights:

*This game had "the feel of a playoff contest." (Washingtoncaps.com)

*A good "character win" for the Caps. (Examiner)

*Jose Theodore shines again in net. (CSNWashington.com)

*Ovie's dad talks Ovie. (Alex Ovetjkin)

More to come from Tarik/Geno at practice in a bit.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 18, 2010; 11:44 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 5, Flyers 3
Next: Carlson sent down, Ovechkin named first star

Comments

Fantastic Game by Boyd Gordon yesterday...
11 minutes TOI...on ice for all 3 Philly Goals and fantastic in the Faceoff circle...1-4 20%..also made about 8 snow angles on the ice from falling down...

Good atmosphere yesterday..a lot of Flyer fans but they got quieter as the game went along..

Posted by: opus1m | January 18, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Mike Richards is a great leader...we need guys like him.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 18, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

CSN's description of the second goal (Jose screened by 4 Caps on the PK) was a lot more accurate than Tarik's description of that same "routine shot" that "eluded" Theo.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"This game had a playoff feel" - slowly becoming one of the more over used cliches in hockey and sports in general.

Posted by: superpaqman | January 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: superpaqman | January 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it did for the Flyers -- they came out far more on their toes than the Caps, who seemed to be stumbling a bit through the first and making mistakes that were uncharacteristic compared to other recent games.

We pulled it together nicely, though.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@TominFL - as far as I'm concerned your list can start and end with Mario! I'm so like you in that some players like Gretzky while maybe not being a fan you could like and appreciate. I flat couldn't stand Mario for 2 reasons: 1. Every camera shot of him was of him turning around with his arms up in the air with his head turned back complaining to a ref about a no call. 2. Every single flippin off season he set up a meeting with Bettman to complain about the league.

Flat couldn't stand that. If you hated the NHL so much, go play somewhere else. That's why OV is so inspirational. You never see him complain. He plays through anything. If the ref doesn't make the call for somebody bustin his stick he goes and gets another one and then will drill ya. I tell both my boys to "just watch him play the game". Other than Jason Blake there isn't a better example of how to play the game.

I have a bro in law who knows Mario and has asked me if I wanted to go golfing with him and Mario. I have refused every time. I told him I have ZERO respect for the guy and could care less about him. Cindy is just a clone. You're looking at 1A and 1B.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 18, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Not to change the subject but Tarik's comment about Ted buying the Wiz, VC etc. reminded me of a thought I had the other day. Those of us that are fans of other sports I think will be able to identify with this. We in the hockey world are pretty spoiled because you don't deal with the same things in hockey that you do in say bball, football and baseball to an extent. Ted's been pretty spoiled in that all he's had to deal with so far is personalities and peoples feelings so to say. Now that he's buying a bball team the 1st thing he gets for his efforts, a felony conviction of his top player for gun possession. I sure do hope Ted finds somebody to run that part of his business for him or else he could become grey and balding before he knows it. I don't know if I could do it. Just a completely different environment and culture.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 18, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

as good as Ovie is, he's not quite the talent that Super Mario was

this is NOT a popularity or personality contest, they're judged on what they produce on the ice

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

in the end Super Mario was right and they finally got rid of all the clutching, grabbing and holding that used to go on and on...

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

TEB just twitted that Carlson left KCI carrying his sticks and bag so he has been sent down.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | January 18, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@ pokerface1208: I see Ted as smart enough to know his role. Even with the Caps, he has evaluators and a GM who can do the business end. The decision to "blow up" the team most likely (IMO) came about after much discussion.
I don't see him as I do the little Kaiser out in Landover. I believe Ted knows enough about himself and, more importantly, is grounded enough to know that he needs GOOD people around him. I am not sure if The Danny will ever figure that one out...

Posted by: TimDz | January 18, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this story found its way to you guys yet, so I thought I would share. There was another vicious (and I mean vicious) headshot in junior hockey last night. Patrice Cormier (yes, the guy who captained Team Canada) is guilty for this, and it is brutal, so if you're weak of heart don't watch. The guy he hits is convulsing heavily at the end.

I am very worried that something like this will happen to one of our guys some day. This is one of the dirtier hits I have ever seen though.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 18, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | January 18, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Erskine and/or Pothier must be ready.

Glad Carlson had a couple of great games in the bigs and can continue to develop. It was a great weekend for him.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 18, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Gawd that's horrible.

I'm sure Don Cherry will be calling him out for punishment on his next show.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, if I was a dude that had to go through my life with the name, Patrice, I'd be a pretty cranky SOB too.

Mind you, thats no excuse for the cheap elbow...

Posted by: TimDz | January 18, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Don Cherry will be calling him out for punishment on his next show.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Why is the violator from Russia? Did he not grow up on a farm in Canada?

Anyway enough about the guy in the fruity suits. This 3 game win streak is nice but with the exception of Toronto we've allowed 3 and 4 goals in a game not to mention we have Detroit and that ugly yellow and black team coming into town. Hopefully our goaltenders can bring their A-game, at least for these next two. At the very least I hope that Varly is ready for that early February game against Pitt.

In the meantime Neuvy needs to get his Virth back.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 18, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

From Puckdaddy:

Uh, really Lou? "Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said Monday he does not anticipate a season-long suspension for top prospect Patrice Cormier(notes)." [NJ.com]

I sincerely hope he is wrong!! The devils tend to go for skill and not goons but i guess he is trying to protect his prospect?

Posted by: mrszilla | January 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

If my math is correct, Theo had a 1.2 GAA during that 3 game span. Not bad in the least, particularly when you consider that only 1 of those goals against could possibly be characterized as soft.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

jus wanted to say good game Theo, i hate that they gave up that last goal so late. its happend the last couple games on the same back-door play which philly was trying all nite! hope Ted can change the name back to the Bullets and bring back the red, white and blue uni, &clean house to get this franchise back to being respectable! LETS GO CAPS!!!! see ya'll tues at VC in hopes to see the Wings go down!

Posted by: TracyMD1 | January 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

the Caps desperately wanted to draft the younger Hatcher but Minnesota took him one spot ahead of him in the draft... they ended up with John Slaney instead

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 11:52 AM

joek: Yesterday you mentioned Zezel and Rouse for Iafrate was Poile's worst move. I agree very bad put posted back that trading Dino for Keven Miller, drafting Volckov #4 overall in 96 and trading Ridley and a 17th overall for the 10th overall and picking Nolan Baumgartner were worse. I'd have to add that drafting John Slaney 9th overall was worse too. I think that was the same year, 1990, that the Pens got Jagr with the 5th pick. I think also one year we got a guy named Corriveau with our first rounder. Poile had some great moves but certainly his share of bad ones. Mikko Elomo another 1st round bust as was the son of some Russian superstar who had died in a car wreck.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

Pothier and Erskine were both skating at practice this morning and lasted for the whole practice.

Good luck to Carlson at the AHL All Star Game. The Caps should do fine without him; i.e. they can spare him.

(Neuvy has already been scratched for the AHL All Stars.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 18, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Erskine and/or Pothier must be ready.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Or Alzner could be coming back up. Don't forget he just was sent down so he could play during the Olympics so he can come back up now.

Also CapsXXVI the Black and Gold team is not coming to town we have to go play in their building and hope it stays up for at least another night.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Red Wings:

Tomorrow is their 3rd game in 4 days, in 3 different cities,(Dal-Det-Was) with the 2 previous games being Shoot-out losses.

Favorable schedule...

Posted by: SA-Town | January 18, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope Patrice Cormier gets banned from ever getting the chance to play professional hockey and I hope whoever taught a junior kid to throw elbows like that dies slowly.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 18, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I see you guys have already discussed it.
In case you are unfamiliar with Cormier, that's what he does. Search youtube for other videos. There's one when he just elbowed a Swede in the WJCs when the puck was in a different zone.

I hope the criminal charges stick.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 18, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from the end of the last thread: This article really moved me and gave me a lot to think about. I think it's worth taking a look at if you have the time.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 18, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75
If Neuvi is scratched, does that mean Varly is ready to be the backup. Was he in practice today? I expect to see Alzner for the Detroit game--I think he has played his fifth Hershey game now.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 18, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Red Wings--got to come out with high pressure, and see if we can get them on their heels...they may not have much in the tank.

Posted by: SA-Town

Agree--hopefully they are still reeling from their loss to Chicago.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 18, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Really happy for Laich. Caught him on NHL on the Fly--he is always a good interview. Loved what he had to say about BB.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 18, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Great article. It's a shame that the kid had to stop his childhood dream of playing hockey because of the pressure of an ignorant worldview.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 18, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Though the Wings are struggling, they played a good game yesterday against CHI. Lost in SO/OT.

They might be starting their mid-year playoff push turn-around.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 18, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Devils down 2 to the Islanders after 8 minutes.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1: Thanks for sharing that great article. See, there is hope!

Reminds me, today of all days, too bad Martin Luther King couldn't still be here to put his "I have a dream..." stamp on that issue. Maybe Brendan Burke will be the person to do it. More than one person can dream.

And, as a dad of three, kudos to Brian Burke. I'd like to think I'd do exactly the same, and I'm about 99% sure I would, but you never know until you wear those shoes.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Lol, my bad. Actually I wasn't even thinking about where we were playing that game, but yeah the one on NBC (2/7/10) is the one where we get to play them at home.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 18, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

Los Diablos are still down 2-0 to the Islanders after the first period.

Go Islanders! (Gee, back in the 70's no one would ever have expected me to say that. I was a true blue NY Islander hater back then. Then they got bad so they weren't worth the trouble to hate any more.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

I assume Neuvy is still officially our "backup" goalie at the moment.

I haven't heard any updates on how Varly's doing or when he'll be back. (It seems like Varly's been eternally "two weeks" away from returning.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 18, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Tominfl1: I know what you mean about hoping that, as a parent, you would react as well to your child "coming out" as Brian Burke and his wife did. I look forward to the day when this story is not "news", but I think we're a long way off, especially in the sports arenas. A friend of mine who went to school with Brian Burke in Providence sent me the article.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 18, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

who assume Neuvy is still officially our "backup" goalie at the moment.
live TV link http://www.nowgoal.com/22.shtml

Posted by: bgfgf402 | January 20, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

who assume Neuvy is still officially our "backup" goalie at the moment.
live TV link http://www.nowgoal.com/22.shtml