Morning roundup: Caps win 10th straight

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

The Capitals matched a 26-year-old franchise record of 10 straight wins with yesterday's 3-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning at Verizon Center:

For much of Sunday's matinee, Alex Ovechkin appeared to be a step off his game. Shots he normally puts on net were blocked. Others he normally buries sailed wide. Just before the first intermission, he tripped and fell without any help from an opposing player.
But late in the third period, with the outcome in doubt and a historic opportunity for the Washington Capitals within their grasp, Ovechkin did what two-time MVPs are supposed to: He capped a dominant shift with the decisive goal in a 3-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning at Verizon Center. | Full story »

*Postgame wrap-up and video, photos of the win.

*The last time the Caps won 10 straight... "The second game was an 8-0 win over Toronto, at that point the largest shutout win in franchise history. Craig Laughlin scored twice." (Bog)

*In case you missed it over the weekend or needed a reminder, Mike Green was suspended for three games Saturday for his elbow to the head of Florida's Michael Frolik.

A few quick morning links (more to come from a very optional practice at 11 a.m.):

*Perfect 10. (Joe B)

*Home ice has been good to the Caps. (Ed Frankovic)

*The Caps are finding ways to win, even when they perhaps shouldn't. (DC Examiner)

*More than just one bad break for 'Bolts. (St. Pete Times)

*Ovechkin finds a crack in Tampa Bay's defense. (Tribune)

*Leave it to Ovie to get Caps to 10-0. (NHL.com)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 1, 2010; 9:54 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup, Tampa Bay Lightning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 3, 'Bolts 2
Next: Boudreau: 'The guys like to win'

Comments

first yes first post

Posted by: patljr7 | February 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

from previous post:

Anyone watch the second intermission of the Pens v Wings game? Milbum and Pierre Mcmouse listed their best lines in the NHL. Ovie, Backstrom, Knuble wasn't mentioned by Milbum. Mcmouse however thought they were the best line. I don't see how it's even questionable they are the best line in the league.

Posted by: moltzjo | February 1, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Milbury will never say anything good about the Caps. If you want to know why, pick up BB's book. There is a story in there that will shed some light.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Caps 4 Boston 2, Ovechkin gets the hatrick with an empty net for the 3rd goal, thus giving us our 1st hatrick in a season where we've scored 214 goals in 55 games, or something like that. I don't know the exact numbers

Posted by: patljr7 | February 1, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

from previous post:

Anyone think it might be nice to see Holtby get the start against the Rangers?

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach - I think it would be awesome to see Holtby get a start while he's up. Rangers or Thrashers, either way - the Thrashers, it would be a home start, which would help him out considerably; I'd rather see Theodore face the Rangers and exorcise his demon from last year.

Posted by: irockthered | February 1, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

patljr7

don't jinx it! I never verbalize or write my predictions before a game...one of my many superstitions! I try not to even think about predictions!

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Milbury and Maguire were discussing the lines from western conference first then later Maguire did mention the Ovie/Backs/Knuble line... the only line mentioned from the East.

also Milbury did praise the Caps for playing good defense finally.

so no need to get worked up over nothing

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

irockthered :

didn't even think about that for Theo! Thrashers would be ok, I just thought with the Rangers having apparently only one guy that can score(Gaborick), it might be a good game for him.

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't see Holtby getting a start unless Theo is hurt again.

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

patljr7

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:41 AM
i gotchu man sorry i'm a new poster, i'll learn the ropes and ways

Posted by: patljr7 | February 1, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

patljr7

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:41 AM
i gotchu man sorry i'm a new poster, i'll learn the ropes and ways

Posted by: patljr7 | February 1, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

patljr7:

No worries...I probably need professional help for my Caps OCD and superstitions.

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can necessarily say Ovi/Backs/Knuble(Semin) is the best line in hockey.

There's the Sedin/Sedin/Burrows line and the Heatley/Joe/Marleau line. Both of which can be said to have that title.

If you want to go less points and more defense, Chicago's 1st line is pretty beefed up.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Neuvirth is the number two goalie and he should be with the team. Too much to ask Jose to play all these games the next seven days.

Posted by: milfordone | February 1, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Neuvy was sent down for very specific reasons. (qualify for the Bears during the Olympic break)

Varly is turning into (and there's that word people love to use) an "enigma"? lol....

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I'd wait until Green was back in the game before putting Braden in. I'm not completely sold on #89 Tyler Sloan's D game just yet. Yeah, the Rangers are in a slump, but they've still got Gaborik...and...uh...lessee....

Posted by: sandyflee | February 1, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Prust and Jokinen sent to the Rags for Higgens and Kotalik.

Now Gaborik has 2! people who can pass him the puck! Yeah!

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@ milfordone |

if you actually followed what's been going on with Varly, you would be using a word like enigma

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

BTW..I guess I won that bet with whoever tried to tell me no trades were happening before the Olympics.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

MVP...MVP...MVP!!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The talk about Ovie being "off his game" is a bunch of BS, IMO...

Tampa smothered him much of the game...but you gotta wonder if Ovie just said (most likely in Russian), "Enough of this crap...I'm gonna end it here."

Superstars bring it to another level when they need to.

I think we should expect more of such defensive moves against Ovie. I think that is a huge mistake, not only because of how he can make that "next level" move in his game, but because of the fire power besides Ovie and the fact that Ovie is learning how to get the puck to the open man more consistently.

Posted by: TimDz | February 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@ Sending Neuvirth down so he can play is nuts. Varly has turned into another enigmatic Russian, I suspect he's pointing to be ready for the Olympics, not this team, not that he'll get to play any in the Olympics.

Posted by: milfordone | February 1, 2010 11:01 AM

The Caps brass want Neuvy to play while the Olympics are being played. He has to get a few games in at Hersey to be able to "qualify". This is just good mangement wanting a young goalie to get game time in and not lose his groove.

I suspect we will see Varly back very soon, if not Bruce would not hesitate to use Holtby if it were needed.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@TimDz

I agree.
It's my opinion that Ovie will never achieve 65+ goals again. Why? Because teams are much more aware of him now. He always has 2 guys on him. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, because it opens up for everyone else to score and be more open.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I meant you would NOT be using a word like enigma to describe Varly

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Rangers at MSG can have a nasty nasty crowd. I'm hoping to see plenty of RED in the crowd and Theo in the net :)

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | February 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Holtby is not gonna get a start during this winning streak unless Theo is hurt.

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If anyone at Verizon could give us an update on Green and Varly it would be greatly appreciated. I don't care if it's a WaPo staffer or a fan that is lucky enough to spend their lunch hour watching the practice. I know Green is still suspended for 2 games but the last we heard is that he limped off the ice after a short skate. It would be nice to get an update on his status. I think Varly still has to work out separately, so info on him would be great.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I looked at the schedule and I would guess that Holtby (unless Varley gets called back up) gets the start Friday against Atlanta. That would give Theo a rest before the Pittsburgh game at Verizon.

Posted by: TimDz | February 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Was able to watch "Hockey Night in Canada" the other night. Anyone else think Ingila is Mike Tyson's clone?...mirror image.
BTW, the announcers said he pulled a "Gordie Howe hat-trick"...G-A-fight !!
As for the Rangers game? let's go with our best...I'd love to see us get 5,6,or 7 goals against them!!

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 1, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Is BB going to stick with Sloan for now? I wouldn't mind seeing Carlson again.

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

From where I sat Sloan earned another slot and I think BB will give it to him. A couple minor flubs, but some responsible and brilliant play as well -- the poke-check on a roaring Stamkos was particularly nice.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 1, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I guess Toronto DID improve over the years if even Locker got 2 goals. They're still terrible though.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 1, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@TarikElBashir from Twitter -

"Although Mike Green must sit out the next two games because of the suspension, he looks ready to play. He's skating hard with the scratches." 20 minutes ago

Posted by: irockthered | February 1, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@irtr

great find, great news.

Stolen for a Steven Hindle article, about the streak;
- The Caps closed out the month of January with a record of 13-2.

- The Caps took a total of 26 points out of a possible 30.

- The Caps scored 67 goals in January and allowed 35.

- The Caps scored 18 goals on the power play in 52 attempts during January(34.6%).

- The Caps allowed 12 goals in 65 shorthanded attempts(81.5%)\

- Jose Theodore has earned 8 wins in January while Michal Neuvirth earned 5 wins.

- The Caps were 9-0 at home and 4-2 on the road in January.

- Alex Semin led the Caps with 3 game winning goals in January. Mike Knuble and Tomas Fleishcmann had 2 gw’s each while Fehr, Laich, Steckel, ShaMo, Backstrom and Ovechkin each earned 1 game winner apiece.

- The Capitals are now 13-1 with Alex Ovechkin as their captain.

- OV has led the way in scoring for Janauary with 28 points and a +16.

- Semin has 23 points(11g/12a) and a +10 in Jan.

- Nicklas Backstrom has 17 points and a +12 in Jan.

- Tomas Fleischmann enjoyed a 15 point January(3g/12a) with a +5.

- Mike Knuble has 14 points(11g/3a) and a +10 in Jan.

- Mike Green also had 14 points(3g/11a) in January and was a +8.

- Laich, Fehr and Poti all had 9 points in January, while Jason Chimera enjoyed 8 points in his first month as a Cap.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Jason Chimera doing this well his first month as a cap? I sure didn't, and am pleasantly surprised!

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree. With each passing game Chimera seems to contribute more. Speed and toughness are at the top of the list, and he's showing some real skill.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 1, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

TEN!!!!!!!

Wow.

I am off my mark predicting--again :( The only ones I was even close on were that the Caps did win their 10th consecutive contest, and OV did score.

For which I am very, very happy.

I am all for the Caps' streak to continue--indeed, I feel that beating the 17-straight NHL mark could be considered a moral imperative, since it would be yet another hockey subject on which the mullet creatures of Pennsyltucky would have to STFU.

Thoughts on the huge CGY/TOR/ANA trade, anyone?

I'm thinking that, if TOR were not already tied for last place so late in the season, I would be saying:

"Be afraid. Be very afraid.".

That said, I'd almost like to see TOR make it into the playoffs as a #5 seed: If the top 4 seeds in the Eastern Conference maintain the current status quo, that means PIT gets a revitalized (and defensively brutal) TOR in the first round. Even if PIT emerges from such a series victorious, I can almost guarantee they will not emerge unscathed.

I am of course somewhat disappointed that the Caps did not get Phaneuf (see my previous posts on the subject). Still, it will be well worth watching, just for the opportunity to see Phaneuf put Crosby in a hurt locker on a regular basis.

Too bad the next (and final) Leafs-Pens tilt this season isn't until March 28. Then again, the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Stay healthy Dion, and good luck in your new home!

Go Caps!
Go Leafs!

(in that order, of course!)

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 1, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Literally, who is going to score for TO?

That is what I want to know. Burke has to have another trade coming.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Chimeras first couple of games while he was getting used to BB's system were nothing to write home about but he's definetly stepped it up since then!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

How is it possible that not a single Post columnist has written a piece on this streak today? That's absolutely embarrassing and pathetic. What do the Caps have to do in order to get more than just a gamer in the #1 paper in town? I swear to God...

Posted by: MarylanDChris | February 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, @Rhino40; I don't see the Leafs becoming any sort of a beast from this trade anytime soon.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg sort of has an article. It's about the previous 10 game streak. A great read nevertheless.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 1, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I love Steinberg, he's terrific. But you know what I'm saying: a full scale columnist. The Post practically tries to hide Steinberg's stuff. It's not treated as mainstream, or given top billing. Ever.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | February 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyone concerned about Philly possible making a strong showing in the playoffs? Their predicament is eerily simialr to ours when we fired Hanlon. Before the season started, they were considered probable cup contenders...I am thinking they still might be.

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

As per Tarik's Twitter: "Mike Green.. is skating hard with the Scratches.."

"Semyon Varlamov also skated on his own this morning."

Posted by: CapsKnewbie | February 1, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | February 1, 2010 12:28 PM

@Sonyask:

...and you may very well be right.

But if being a Caps fan has taught us anything at all, it is that nothing is impossible. Remember that the Caps were in last place when BB took over as coach after Thanksgiving 2007, then earned 3rd seed and the division crown on the final game of the regular season.

Ron Wilson is a good coach, and while I agree that even a reconstituted TOR is unlikely to go deep in the post season, Catching OTT and perhaps even BUF is not entirely out of his realm of possibility with these new weapons (don't forget better goaltending, too: JSG > VT).

My main points were that:

1) Even without my fantasy of Phaneuf-in-a-Caps-sweater coming true, he has the potential to do real damage to our other Eastern Conference foes (Bäckis, OV and Knubs are too strong for him to stop all three of them).

and

2) If not this season, TOR will almost certainly be a force to be reckoned with in 2010-2011.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 1, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I see these Leafs trades as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. $6.5 mill per for Phaneuf? Hah!

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 1, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Phaneuf is gone...Souray hurt...are we still shopping for a defenseman and whom?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon

There are still some decent defensemen out there..but their price just went up! We can not rely on Sloan or Alzner if the D is injured or not working out come playoff time.

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Toronto is 21 points behind Ottawa with each having 26 games remaining. So if Ottawa went 10-16 (or the equivalent with OT losses) Toronto would have to go 21-5 to pass them. I'm sorry, but barring a miracle, there is no chance that is happening.

Buffalo is 26 points ahead with 3 games in hand on Toronto. If Buffalo goes 1-2 over the next 3 then they will be 28 points ahead with 26 games left for both. If Buffalo then went 10-16 (or the OT equivalent) Toronto would have to go 24-2 to tie Buffalo. Even a miracle won't make that happen.

Remember the chances of either Ottawa or Buffalo going 6 games under .500 for the rest of the season is very small considering both are well above .500 through 56 games.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 1, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I am probably going to get beat up for this, but...

OV-Backs-Knuble aren't the best line in the league if you look at it completely objectively. Marleau-Thornton-Heatley are absurd and are definitely the best line in the league in my opinion. I'd have the Caps' top line as the best in the East, but not the league at this point in time.

Either way, if you want depth at forward no one touches the Caps. Their 4 lines are amazing, and it is a treat to watch them each night.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 1, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Love the 10 game win streak...VERY IMPRESSIVE!

The best defenseman out there that OCULD be traded away is Niedermeyer. He is a stout d-man, someone who eats up minutes and is in the last year of his contract.

With the room we now have under the cap and the little risk associated with that kind of trade, I can see that happening more than any other trade out there...

And the best part is that it may THE BEST trade the Caps could make!

Posted by: dglelite | February 1, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3:

OK, I didn't do all the math--you are correct: TOR almost certainly will not make the playoffs this season.

But consider this: There remains a horrendous logjam in the Eastern Conference right now, with positions 6 through 13 spearated by only three (that's right, folks: 3) standings points.

Hence, TOR could--if nothing else--become the über-spoiler of the EC this season.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

IRTR and CapsKnewbie: Thanks for the updates on Green and Varly. I don't know why I asked people at Verizon to tell me how they looked. I meant Kettler. Thanks again!

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the East playoff picture. 8 teams are vying for 3 spots, thats crazy. As we runaway from the Southeast and position ourselves for the East crown and potentially, the Presidents Trophy, the real fun will be watching the last couple of weeks unfold.

Based on remaining games home and away and points earned per game (home and away), the season would end like this...

IN

OUT
BOS - 84.923
TBL - 84.37
MTL - 84.184
NYR - 83.628
NYI - 80.11

And just in case you were wondering, SJS would end up with 120 and change...

Posted by: JSchon | February 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

As far as top lines in the NHL, along with the Sharks, as pointed out by @Aldred15, you have to look at Sedin-Sedin-Burrows for the Canucks as well. They have been off the charts.

Ovi-Backs-Knuble have been fantastic during this streak but they're going to have to keep up the awesome pace to be considered hockey's top line above those other two.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

If the deadskins won 3 straight this town would be throwing a parade- 10 straight and little respect

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@jschon:

Interesting analysis.

If it does in fact shake out that way, I wonder how many people will still be saying "SouthLeast", since the SE and the Atlantic division would each send 3 teams into the postseason with the "Mighty" NE sending only 2 teams to the Big Dance...and NONE of the 8 playoff teams an O-6 franchise!.

So much for the "Origial Six" mystique, eh?

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

From Mike Green's Twitter account: "...Yes it's true me and Wale got some things in the works for DC."

Really? Shouldn't the focus be on hockey and not collaborating with a hip-hop artist? I realize Mike is having a good season, but considering his playoff performance last year I would hope he would shy away from these distractions.

Posted by: rebecca17 | February 1, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

there is no original 6 mystique... besides the Wings, you have to go back to 94 when the Rangers won the cup.

the hawks and the leafs haven't won anything since the 60's and the bruins since the 70's

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

3 teams getting in with less than 90 points is a bit embarrassing. I didnt figure out the West, but just eyeballing it, 93 points is the magic number.

Posted by: JSchon | February 1, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Response to Capscoach re: Philly.

Capscoach, I live in Philly (unfortunately) and follow the Flyers closely so I can communicate with the cavemen (apologies to GEICO) and cannibals around here. Laviolette is still playing around with his line combos and can't seem to get any production out of Danny Briere, Scotty Hartnell or Simone Gagne, and even Jeff Carter and Mike Richards have been spotty, at best. Boy, do they miss Knuble. And their defensive pairing are really inconsistent. Pronger ain't brigin' them much. Emery is so-so in net, and Michael Leighton is just plain lucky.

They have no prospects in their farm system at ANY position. They play old and slow as they try to adjust to Laviolette's system. If they make the playoffs (my best is against it), it will be as the 7 or 8th seed (which means a rematch for the Caps, very likely).

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | February 1, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The players need a release too. Do any of you think about work 24 hours a day? Mike Green earns his money on the ice, let him enjoy his time away from the rink, sheesh.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

nick boynton got put on waivers....any interest in maybe picking him up?

Posted by: _stevo | February 1, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the last BOS Cups were '70 & '72; MTL's most recent were '76-'79, '85 and '93.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm pulling for the SE teams; tired of this southleast crap.

I always figure that division opponents have the best shot against one another on any given night due to familiarity (that is, the lesser SE teams have a better shot at upending the best SE team (i.e., Caps) than they do teams in other divisions), thus any "advantage" from the few extra division games is illusory at best.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The comment of the morning should go to rebecca17. I find it utterly disastrous that the Capitals have other things to do besides hockey. That's such a lack of dedication, it sickens me. It's an insult to us fans who have nothing better to do than b*tch about that for not practicing or playing hockey 24/7. Bravo, rebecca17, for standing up for your addiction to hockey.

Get well soon, rebecca17.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 1, 2010 2:00 PM

I couldn't agree more. It's like Dallas fans blaming their losses on Tony Romo dating Jessica Simpson. I guess athletes should only date ugly or homely women and should not associate with other stars. Or maybe they shouldn't have lives outside of their sport. Double sheesh!

Posted by: GoEagles | February 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 1, 2010 1:45 PM

Mr. Wimbledon, hating on the Skins (or Wiz or Nats) is not gonna win our Caps any additional local fans.

Posted by: GoEagles | February 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse