Morning roundup: Carlson makes his debut

(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

Defenseman John Carlson will be out to prove he's right where he belongs when he makes his NHL debut for the Capitals tonight against the Canadiens.

"It's always interesting when you see guys get their first taste and see how they react to a situation because some guys, they look like deer in the headlights," assistant coach Bob Woods said. "He looks like he's been here all year so far."

Tonight's matchup:

Montreal Canadiens (10-11)
Washington Capitals (13-4-4)
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

* Matt Bradley on bloody eyes and other fun stuff (D.C. Sports Bog)

* Wait! More Matt Bradley! (Japers' Rink)

* In "The 10 best hockey games of the last decade," Caps-Pens hat-trick showdown is No. 7. (Puck Daddy)

* The Russians are the favorite to take home Olympic gold, with Alex the Great and Geno leading the charge (The Hockey News)

* Sergei Fedorov is playing the "diva card?" (Mlive.com via Kukla's)

* On goalie/beauty queen Tara Wheeler, who shaved her head to raise money for cancer (On Frozen Blog)

* More from my favorite guilty pleasure, not unlike a trashy soap opera: the Thursday afternoon hockey chat on ESPN.com. Check out the Caps-related Q&As:

Tyler (Tucson AZ) The Capitals just called up highly touted prospect John Carlson today. With their main weakness being on defense, how long before we see him and/or Karl Alzner as permanent fixtures on the D.C. roster?
BARRY MELROSE I think it depends on the kids. They are both great players and have great potential. If they can play on the NHL level, then I think they will have a place on the roster. It's a lot easier to be a young forward than a young defensemen in the NHL.

(How's that for a non-answer?)

Matt (Baltimore, MD) With the possibility of Michael Nylander going to Russia and freeing up cap space, do you see the Capitals making room for getting a veteran defenceman? If so, who could possibly be available now until the trade deadline?
BARRY MELROSE There are not a lot of available defensemen out there right now but more will become available later on in the season as more teams look to make trades but right now the talent is just not out there.
Mike (DC) If you were the Caps, who would you target in a trade?
MATTHEW BARNABY I'm going to name a player per se, but I really think they need to add a stay at home defenseman that grinds it out. Not a $4-5million guy, but a guy that makes $1 million and is very steady.
Danny (Maryland) The Capitals have a nice lead in the Southeast but the Thrashers and Lightning are not that far behind with games in hand. Do you see anyone other then Washington being on top in the Southeast this year?
PIERRE LEBRUN Caps will win it but I realy like the way Atlanta is coming along. They can score at will, the blue-line is solid, and they're finally getting goaltending. I'm still worried about the goaltending, though.

Caption contest winner:

(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

jfeldy: "Does it count as a garbage goal if we throw Avery in the net?"

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 20, 2009; 5:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau keeps expectations for Carlson in check
Next: Carlson's sleepy, but ready

Comments

cant wait for tonight

Posted by: gocaps01 | November 20, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

does anyone remember what number carlson is??/

Posted by: wowkanut | November 20, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I believe Carlson wore #74.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 20, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Talks about Carlson and that he is #74. BTW we have 3 US blueliners in the line-up tonight. All hailing from Massachusetts.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 20, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

hahaha, what's jfeldy win for the best caption??

Posted by: hockeypunk | November 20, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Yes, JFeldy that IS what they call a "garbage goal"...

Posted by: Caps16Fan | November 20, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, there was some serious trolling occuring on this blog last evening. Love the Doofus Brigade introduced by TominFl....

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Melrose does not watch minor league hockey or scout players like Kiper does in football. He has no idea whether or not these two defensemen are going to be any good.

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 20, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 -- I ordered it. I've been telling my 3 hockey playing sons for at least a couple of years that Semin has the most skills. I derive pleasure watching him on the ice. Lately it seems he's been savaged, unfairly so considering others make similar mistakes. There's a certain vulnerability to him and certain types of people zero in on that and cannibalize. I am a little like him -- not interested in the spotlight, so understand it somewhat. I just felt he needs support! I don't usually jump out there on these things, but I REALLY hope he stays here. I also have one that says Trending Sasha -- it was a phrase on Japers' that summed him up: accept Semin being Semin (although they meant he's neither up nor down, just Sasha!). Do I hope he will improve those weak areas of his game? Absolutely, but I will take the whole package right now, too. I have a few extra and would mail one to you if you want it. I am @cox.net.

Posted by: Steakum | November 20, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Sasha is Sasha. I, for one, want to keep him, too. He's an incredibly talented player, and I hope he's happy here - and doesn't read this blog, given the way people have torn him to bloody shreds on here all month. Jeez.

Posted by: irockthered | November 20, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Not just Sasha, Green has also taken his fair share of abuse. Fehr is always being called brittle for being injured so much even though Laing is praised as a tough SOB for the same bad luck. And Schultz, even though he has improved his game immensely, is still trashed by many cause they just can't get over one bad toe pick in a playoff game last year. Some people on here are just plain pathetic and sad.

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Bwahahaha at the Russians being favorites for the Olympics... Canada has so much depth that guys like Green, Lecavalier, Niedermayer, Staal won't even make the team. Rougher, tougher, better all around defense, on an NHL-size rink, in front of the Canadian nation, the Hockey News writer has lost all credibility. Canada has shown time and time again that they can win the big events in front of their crowd.
The top scoring line in the tournament will certainly be russian but that just won't be enough.
I am betting that, if the cards align, the finals will not even involve russia but rather Canada-Sweden.

Posted by: atybat | November 20, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Heh. It would beat all if the U.S. pulled another coup.

Agreed on Green, and Fehr, and Schultz.

Trashing players is counterproductive.

Posted by: irockthered | November 20, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: atybat | November 20, 2009 8:56 AM
---------------------
Big event? Home crowd? Canada lost the 2008 World Championship to Russia in Quebec. And if I'm not mistaken, Russia won again in 2009 in Europe. If Russia puts together a team like that again they'll be tough to beat.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Now atybat, do you think that will be the final because you are Swedish? I am assuming you are Swedish because you tend to have a lot of inside information on Nylander. Unless the Canadiens and Russians play in the semi-final I don't foresee any other nations sneaking into the final.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 20, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

anyone can win the Gold medal in Vancouver, all you need is hot goalie in a short tournament

Posted by: joek443 | November 20, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I am not Swedish. Tess, you are talking about Junior hockey, right? I thought so...

Posted by: atybat | November 20, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

With the Caps having such a good team I am just hoping our guys get through the Olympic games without any long term injuries.

The tournament will be phenomenal and I would look forward to it more if the Caps were a bottom feeder. Just can't shake a bad feeling that we are going to lose a Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, or someone else to a bad injury that is going to hinder our chance at a Stanley Cup run.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 20, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

there are always risks of getting hurt in playing hockey but there are less risks in playing olympic hockey - it's more finnesse than NHL hockey because of the larger ice surface.

Posted by: joek443 | November 20, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@atybat
Is that supposed to be sarcasm? No, I'm not talking Junior hockey. I watched the tournament. Russia was scary good, to use a BB term. And that was without Malkin and Gonchar and Datsyuk who were still playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs. And Canada was missing...let me think...oh yea, Crosby.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Goalies usually have their own room. So Varly, likely, does not have a roommate.

Semin is our best scorer after Ovi. We need secondary scoring and depth to go far in the regular season and the playoffs. No way are we trading him. And we should do what we can to renew his contract next season. He is an incredible talent who other NHL teams would love to have.

Clark may not score like Green used to pre-playoffs last season, but Clark has something that Green doesn't and never will. It's called grit and toughness. Clark sticks up for teammates and doesn't mind getting dirty on the ice. Green is a pretty boy who is too afraid to get hurt or mess up his faux-hawk. Imagine how much better the Caps would be if Green would eat some raw meat and toughen up. It takes toughness and grit to be a good defenseman. Green has neither.

And congrats to Matt Bradley for his awesome goal!! Couldn't have happened to a more deserving player. He works hard every shift.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I see from the post above, criticizing Green's toughness AND hair-do, that the ranks of the Doofus Brigade have been increased by one.

Private First Class: report to JIMALLCAPS, your officer in charge.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The Olympics will not be played on an Olympic-size rink but on an NHL rink (the irony)...

Posted by: atybat | November 20, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the Doofus Brigade must report to the mess tent for lunch at 12 noon.

Raw (red) meat will be served today.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Also making her debut at a Capitals game tonight: My oldest daughter, Petra. She's only 3 (4 on 1/1) but she can give me a ton of quality minutes tonight!

Posted by: cao091402 | November 20, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to stay out of the Green/Semin/Other player to be named debates, and just say I'm ready to hear the dulcet sounds of JoeB and the Locker.

Posted by: superpaqman | November 20, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't criticizing his hairdo. The faux-hawk itself is fine. I was criticizing his grit and toughness. And I will continue to be critical of that part of his game until he improves it. For Green, that means to stop getting pushed around and pushed off of the puck. If you want to make fun of me and call me a Doofus Brigade that's fine.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I completely understand there are risks any time a player steps on the ice. Just the fact that they could end their season with an ACL tear playing for a team other than the Caps in February is the only thing I am worried. Don't get me wrong, I am going to DVR and watch every Olympic hockey game. I'll have to admit that I will hoping more for an injury free outcome for the Caps players rather than a win for their team. I know, selfish on my part.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 20, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

being as Fehr is the picture, then yes, it definitely counts as a garbage goal.

Posted by: P-Mac | November 20, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

cao091402: You will have to take your daughter to Hershey next. In my limited experience, the only thing little girls at hockey games like better than Slapshot is Coco.http://www.hersheybears.com/fan_zone/coco_the_bear.php

Posted by: uncatim | November 20, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@atybat - I hadn't heard that they are using the smaller rink for the Olympics. If that is true, it could be a significant factor in the outcome.

Posted by: zmega | November 20, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | November 20, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan01 - Sorry, you called Green a "pretty boy who is too afraid to get hurt or mess up his faux-hawk."

That's a shot at both Green and the hairdo.

How many times have you separated your shoulder?

Just sayin'... been there, done that. It hurts like a beyotch, it isn't something I personally want to repeat, and I *don't* play professional hockey for a living.

I'll take a little bit of tentative for Green staying healthy, thanks.

Posted by: irockthered | November 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Can I be the Colonel of the Doofus Brigade now Tom???

Thought I would post the most ridiulous things I could think of as this is the type of nonsense we have been seeing here lately..

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I believe that the semis and the finals are slated to be played at the General Motors Arena, home of the Canucks. It holds 18K seats; I am sure that they are not going to remove 2,000 seats to make the rink larger...

Posted by: atybat | November 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree, fanohock1. If an NHL "star" from a playoff contending team gets an injury that can be pointed at for their team's after-Olypmic demise in the standings, which results in missing the playoffs or an early exit, that will solidify the owners on 2014. Let's hope it's not the Caps that they point at.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | November 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

boy Hollywood Melrose is a tool!

Barnababy actually gets it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

PhilR: Is your real name Colonel Klink?

cstanton1: The only problem with Barnaby's suggestion is you really can't find any serviceable defensemen out there who:

1) only earn a million bucks
2) are better than what we have
3) play for a team willing to give them up

Most of the guys at $1M are either younger players or older guys who couldn't get decent contracts. If that player exists, can someone point him out?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

PhilR: Actually, "Cheef" would have to be the colonel, but he's AWOL at the moment. The Doofus Brigade is therefore meandering around aimlessly, headless and leaderless.

Maybe he's on a secret mission.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Jason Doig

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@uncatim

Re: Coco the Bear
That plan can backfire sometimes. I've seen more than one little tyke run away screaming and crying when they come upon a giant teddy bear wearing a hockey jersey.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It is a shot a criticism of Green not the hairdo. How is saying he is afraid to mess up his hair a criticism of his hair? I'd really like to know. I like the faux-hawk. I'm a girl and last year I made medium faux-hawk w my long hair for the play-offs.

I did not at all criticize Semin or any of the other players. With Green's skating and stick handling ability the Caps would get more out of him if he would take a page out of Erskine's book and toughen up. He is an NHL defenseman. I don't know why all of you are jumping down my back.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

no seriously, is there a link that shows NHL salaries for every player? I'd like to scan thru that and see who I think is a better player than what we currently have. I would lean against replacing Mo, Juice or Erskine because they play their roles well. I know fans don't like Mo's salary but I still dig the way he plays.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Pothier's competitiveness this season. Very surprised actually. I still don't like Schultz's game esp within 5 feet of the net. And please don't play him and Mo together ever again. Those 2 had zero chemistry as partners. The player I'd really target is Poti. For what he's supposed to bring to this team, he doesn't.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I forgot a couple....

BB has about enough hockey knowledge to be an assistant coach on my daughters midget team and needs to be immediately fired.....

GMGM obivously has no clue what he is doing draftin players who win the Hart, Richard, etc, etc and needs to be replaced by a real GM like Vinny Cerrato, now that is one hell of a GM......

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

And the Doofus Brigade?? Really? You can't come up w something more clever? lol.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

tess2201: I hadn't thought of that. There is a good reason I am uncatim instead of papatim.

Posted by: uncatim | November 20, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

PhilR; I didn't say anything about anyone other than Green. So stop the nonsense.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'll treat this as a non-sarcastic post.

"Green should skate around in a skirt and toss daisy's to the opposing team due to his lack of grit....."

"Semin should throw a temper tantrum and hold his breath until he turns blue every time he is seperated from Ovie and Backie on the ice due to his selfishness and immaturity"

On this I agree.

"Fehr should be wrapped in bubble wrap before going on the ice due to his brittleness...."

I like Fehr's willingness to compete and I hope his injury problems are behind him because he really needs to pan out for this team. We need size on the wings and a scorer at that. And he usually hurts himself when he's trying to play physically. One of his shoulder injuries came when he tried to ram a Flyer and missed and hit the boards and his elbow was out so it jammed his shoulder up awkwardly and damaged his labrum. Can't hold that against him.

"And Schultz should just get a job driving the Zamboni as this should be the closest he gets to the ice due to his obvious lack of skill....."

Skill he has. The rest, not so much.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan01: What do you accomplish being critical of any player, much less Mike Green? Just wondering. I would imagine unless you work for the organization and have some say on anything the Capitals do, all you're doing is listening to yourself talk. That's kinda' sad, on so many levels, but do carry on. Oh, by the way, you dropped your Doofus Brigade iron-on patch. Here ya' go!

@ atybat: Again, why do you believe the Russians aren't even going to be in the Olympic finals? You time-traveling again? As far as I'm concerned, the Olympics haven't started yet (for most people except yourself anyways) and with the number of elite Russians on NHL teams as it is, being considered for the Russian Olympic team, it would appear you're abso-frickin-lutely wrong. But again, we'll reconvene in February when the Olympics start playing. Someone get atybat a Doofus Brigate paper hat please!

@ CapsFan75: Good morning, #1 Sasha Fan, from #2 Sasha Fan. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 20, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

way to blow your point by completely misrepresenting what is usually valid criticism.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------

go figure, its LeftCoastCapsFan piling on any other fan who dares to speak ill of a player. Why don't you just quit your job and go work for Ted's PR dept. Oh wait..

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Just looked at the standings for the first time and the Caps are in first place in the East and second overall. WooHoo!

Posted by: meagle | November 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the confusion: both the 2008 IIHF Mens and the 2009 IIHF Juniors tourneys were in canada. The Juniors was Sweden Canada final.

For the olympics I see no problem in using an NHL sized rink since it will be a predominately NHL player showcase.

My guess for the finals:
Sweden G
Russia S
Canada B
USA 4th

You can't always take the world championships into account because all the good players are mostly in the playoffs.

Russia has a blistering offensive roster
Canada has the overall defensive deep roster
but Sweden always puts together fundamentally sound teams with insane passing ability. If they can hold the line I see them defending their gold.

Posted by: trunkenmath | November 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

SDR's latest scrap in the W

This is how most of his scraps occur which is nice to see. He usually clobbers a player into the board and then answers for the hit by dropping the gloves. I'll take that over a scripted fight anytime anywhere.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

another caps prospect in action. Sticks up for his teammate who got kneed at the blueline. Uppercuts galore

tell me that coach isn't a dead ringer for Al Gore

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 20, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I think we found the Doofus Brigade's new leader. Here's your crown, cstanton1.

Don't bother responding either. I'd still be laughing at you regardless of what you have to say. You're just a sad person but fun to laugh at.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 20, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

CStanton; "He's not a pussy. He's just lazy. Big difference. He can be a very gritty player when he chooses to be." You may be right. I could be mistaking Green's laziness for lack of grit. In which case, maybe he should take a page out of Bradley's book and come out and work hard every shift.

And LeftCoastCapsFan, Tomfin, and every other person who is calling me a Doofus Brigade. Since when is it not okay to get on a forum and not give justifiable criticism? This is a discussion board right? I'm not backing down from my constructive criticism of Green. I didn't say he sucks or he should be traded. I said he needs to toughen up whether it is due to laziness or bec he is preoccupied w his lambo, his hair, partying, or whatever. He's getting paid $5 million and it's not to be pushed around or create turn overs.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapFan did you come here to mock other users or to discuss the Caps?

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I am amazed that people on this blog actually defend Alexander Semin. Posters on other blogs make it seem like he eats live kittens.

I agree that many posters take it too far bashing Schultz and Green. Schultz could turn into Chris Pronger, win 3 Cups and 6 Norris trophies and some will still want him traded for that Dubinsky play in game 1 last year. But posters will always bash players, that's just the way it is. At least the media doesn't come down hard on them. If they try, BB makes sure to defend them.

Fehr and Semin are a different story. You have published articles stating that BB thinks Fehr is brittle and was irritated that he didn't come back sooner. The guy had two torn labrums, he wasn't supposed to return until December! You have another writer editorializing that the players hate Semin and blame him for losses. I don't know if this is coming from BB or writers are trying to create their own narratives, but it bothers me. So keep up the good work.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 20, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

In case you might be wondering...

Carlson's nickname with the Bears is Carly.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@lorne (from earlier post)

I reject all of your suggested d-man who would be available. While they may or may not be available, the ones you named (Adrian Aucoin and Andy Sutton), I want far, far, far, far, far, far away from any Caps sweater. Give me Aucoin circa 8 years ago, and I'll take him.

I now propose to you the most perfect, and potentially available, UFA d man I see on the market at the deadline;

Anton Volchenkov.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 20, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@is there a link that shows NHL salaries for every player? http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/.

I do think valid, supported criticism is fair, and is part of any board like this. That said, people were taking it to a ridiculous level with Semin and Green.

Posted by: hook99 | November 20, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I think you will find what you need at www.nhlnumbers.com

You can spend all day looking around on that site.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 20, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Heh. It would beat all if the U.S. pulled another coup.

Agreed on Green, and Fehr, and Schultz.

Trashing players is counterproductive.

Posted by: irockthered | November 20, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

AMEN. If you want to be an angry fickle fan go to philthy.

Posted by: mrszilla | November 20, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

capsfan01,

I was in no way singling you out as a troll or member of the Doofus Brigade I just think the critics go way overboard on this site, especially the last couple days, and just posted the most ridiulous things that came to mind on all the prime targets around here....you are but one of the many I was addressing. For anyone to say an NHL player has a lack of grit??!! These guys put their bodies on the line every time they step on the ice, that takes a hell of a lot of grit right there.

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Curious:

Is there any difference between "bashing" and "constructive criticism" on this board- or is anything said about a player that is not 100% postive considered "bashing"?

There is no sarcasm in this question (ironically- since much of what I post is sarcastic).

Posted by: Fro_ | November 20, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

cstanton, i like capgeek.com. lets you do trade scenarios etc. pretty up to date.

everyone else, the level of discourse on this board has taken a turn towards a new low. as someone who likes to mix it up a bit here, i can appreciate the differences in opinions and desire to set people straight who try and pass along their opinions as absolute undisputable facts. however, its just rediculous. the doofus brigade? really? thats what it come to. next thing you know we'll be doing sparkly photoshops of ovechkin and we'll be reduced to being nothing better than the pre-adolescent pens fans we love so much.

step back, enjoy the team that is in first place. not perfect, lots of things to debate...but really, a little respect would be refreshing.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 20, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

doesn't matter where they play olympic hockey, they will make the ice wider... they have their own rules (200 x 100 feet)

they played olympic hockey in Saddle Done in Calgary when the Flames play

Posted by: joek443 | November 20, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Saddle Dome in Calgary where the Flames play

Posted by: joek443 | November 20, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Irockthered; no I haven't dislocated a shoulder. As a professional ballerina w the Washington Ballet I have broken my toes and feet numerous times. I have had surgeries, joint replacements, and screws put in my toes. I still performed pointe. And still dance and run currently.
It has been 7 months since Green dislocated his shoulder. I doubt that is why he is giving over the puck and lacking physicality. But if he is still nursing it maybe he should sit or get a doctor's advice on how to best heal it so that he can play a physical game. That is what NHL defenseman do.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

schultz will not be the next pronger. Just not shultz's game. Maybe a Chara like defender-> good positioning, moves the puck will get physical but is not the primary part of their games. He is learning to play without having a huge size and reach advantage over the opposition. Most of his playing days, he was had a huge reach advantage and could be out of position. In the NHL, that advantage is slight and has been learning to play better positionally. Chara was booted off several teams until he developed.

As for Semin rumors, you never know what is going through the minds of players, coachs, etc. unless you have inside knowledge. I had some friends that were very inside the orginization when Jags was here. When I first heard the trade news I was excited about the team. Inside the team, most guys were negative about the move. There was a alot of the 'hate em' talk going around then. If a writer or blogger is revealing what is said in confidence that is just wrong. personally, Sasha has some aspects of his game he should try and improve. ALL PLAYERS DO. He is a tremendous skill player and as BB has said when he wants to his the greatest palyer on earth. Lets just hope he wants to more and more.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 20, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Maybe....just maybe, Mike Green is not a physical defenseman. Maybe he isn't going to hit people or play the way Erskine does because he is Mike Green. He carries the puck up the ice around opposing forwards. He stickhandles his way into the attacking zone and makes plays. He is not a stay at home defenseman. He is aggressive and that is the way he is going to play today tomorrow and most likely the rest of his career. Yes he gives the puck away a little too often but he (as Coach Dennie Green would say) who we thought he is. Mike Green.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | November 20, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

newbiecapsfan07

"We need to figure out the other roommates--the whole team needs to feel the love.
Yes, we definitely have to figure out the remaining room assignments right away, before they leave for Toronto. If they say "stop hovering. I'm fine!" we ignore them because they are young and it's for their own good. First we need to know for sure whether or not Semin is going or we will have to recalculate.

I am rooting for Clark this season. He has grit and leadership and it's a matter of time before he scores. Anyway, he has quite a few points.

Posted by: caraveli | November 20, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Fro; obviously on this board there is no difference between "constructive criticism" and "bashing" when you can't call for a defenseman to have more grit w/o being called a Doofus.

And yes PhilR, Mike Green does play for the NHL and as a defenseman he lacks grit. Mock and make fun of me all you want. Have a hay day...

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Please forgive my ignorance, and know that I am as happy to see Carlson as anyone. But what is the mater with Tyler Sloan. All he has done has been great. I hope that they put him on the 4th in place of QL. But they haven't said anything as of yet. Does anyone know what Sloan's status is? I think this kid has real potential and is still the owner of the best hit in hockey in last few years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzi5ckee9kA

Posted by: psugolf | November 20, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

_____________________

I think you confused the two.

Pronger is generally known for his positioning, passing, and stickwork nowadays. he doesn't quite hit like he used to, though he surely will. Just ask Green.

On the other hand, Chara loves to hit. He doubles Pronger's number so far this year.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 20, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on criticizing players:

I am not qualified to do their jobs, just as they are not qualified to do mine. I do not want anyone other than my boss evaluating my performance, and therefore I trust the Caps' bosses (BB and GMGM) to know who is performing acceptably and who is not. As a fan, I will sit back and watch and cheer and be frustrated (but never boo) and hope that they win every game and know that they will not. If some of you think that makes me too sunshine-y, too bad.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

SearchingforStanley; I can appreciate your point of view on Mike Green.
DCSportsFan; you are right the level of discourse has gotten out of hand. It is my opinion that Mike Green lacks grit. It is my opinion that things have gone to Green's head and he has become lazy on the ice. It is not a fact. This is a discussion board. I gave my opinion. I'm not sure why I got mocked so much and called a Doofus or troll. I only brought it up bec of the information about the quip from Clark to Green at practice.
But now I know to keep my opinions to myself on this board :-)

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Curious:

Posted by: Fro_ | November 20, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

For me the difference between bashing and constructive criticism is:

bashing/brigade member: we should trade green
regular criticism: green should work on balancing being an at home dman and an offensive dman

Posted by: mrszilla | November 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

In chara's development he was chided for been too slow footed in the corners and passive. He did grow into his role. Schultz will too. Pronger is just nasty in front of the net and in the corners. I don't think schultz will ever have that truly nasty I am going to crosscheck, slash, punch and cruch you every time you get close to the net element in his game.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on criticizing players:

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Amen. Armchair gms in here having being trade-hungry. Good thing only GMGM and BB have control of the team.

Posted by: mrszilla | November 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Can I be the Colonel of the Doofus Brigade now Tom???

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR - I am LOL, the dripping sarcasm is hilarious! congrats on your promotion, when is the wetting down?

Posted by: Redwolf1 | November 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

just because a guy is big, doesn't mean he automatically has to play a physical game.

there are 7-footers in basketball who are skilled perimeter players like Dirk Nowitski. The bottom line is can he play and help you win no matter what style of a player he is.

Posted by: joek443 | November 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Tess2201; no one said anything about booing a player. I hope that no Caps fan ever boos one of our own. This is a discussion board.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Mike Green had more hits than Chris Pronger last season, go ahead look it up.

Mike Green has 21 hits this season?
Who are his counterparts?
Chara? No.
Orpik? No.
Staal? No.

His counterparts are players like Boyle, Kaberle...

Players that play long minutes and qb the powerplay...

Pronger only has 23 hits this season...

Whats up with everybody wanting every player to mix it up all the time...

There is room for non-mix it up players like Lemieux, Gretzky and Lidstrom... plenty of room.

Posted by: JSchon | November 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

1. Booing is fine if its justified but it had better be justified.
2. Opinions are welcome but too often they are negative about a team that has more points than anyone in the East.
3. The doofus this is supposed to be in good spirits (atleast I think).

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | November 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

In hockey you should have a mix of skilled guys, mix it up guys, goonish guys, and complete guys.

Skill guys
Semin/Flash/Green/Perreault/Backstrom
Mix it up guys
Clark/Laich/Bradley/Knuble/Beagle
Goonish
Erskine
Complete
Ovi

I'm just not understanding why some people want certain players to be something they're not, never were, never will be.

Posted by: JSchon | November 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Redwolf1,

Thank you very much, I will be in the building all day....

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the Doofus Brigade over the Chicken Little shtick any day.

Posted by: snakegriffin | November 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 11:58 AM
----------------------
A discussion board that turns very ugly at times. And I don't mean that against you personally...just a general comment. And yes, booing one of our own happens way too often. I don't mind discussion backed up by facts, or even the occasional level-headed opinion, but the "I'm right and the rest of you are idiots" stuff that's been happening lately is making this discussion board very hard to tolerate some days.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 20, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

OH NO someone doesn't like ChickenLittle? OH NO that hurts ChickenLittle's feelings so much! OH NO ChickenLittle looking like an optomist compared to the people posting here. OH NO ChickenLittle thinks some people here squeal more than my friend Piggly Wiggly. OH NO...

Posted by: ChickenLittleCapsFan | November 20, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JSchon | November 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

you only get to see a hockey player who can do it all about once in a generation. Not every defenseman can be equally great in both ends like Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque.

That's why they're the best. Can Mike Green improve on his defense? sure but doesn't mean he's terrible right now either.

Posted by: joek443 | November 20, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

cstanton: I just click on team by team at this link because it allows you to quickly identify pending UFAs who might be available.

Didn't we have Jason Doig once? You think he's better than Erskine or Jurcina? I never thought he was that tough to be the kind of guy to whom Barnaby was referring.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

joek443 exactly

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 20, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

How good have Laich, Flash, and Brads been this year. We talk about 8.5 and how Semin could be more consistance and Green blah blah. These 3 guys have been borderline great through 21 games (a few less for flash).

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | November 20, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I had to go and open my mouth... ;)

Posted by: snakegriffin | November 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

tominfl Kiwi is playing in KHL, maybe we can pick him up too. Or could we somehow trade Nyls for Kiwi???

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

capsfan01: What PhilR is alluding to is the Doofus Brigade has buck privates who only overly-critize one player. Then it has sergeants and lieutenants who want to dump both Semin and Green. You become company commander by adding another player - Schultz or Fehr - and a lt colonel as battalion CO if you add GMGM to your litany of gripes. Finally, touch on BB as well, and you are eligible to lead the Brigade as the colonel.

Achtung!

Like it or lump it, you've been drafted. You'll be getting your letter in the mail: "Greetings from the President..." So saddle up, pilgrim, and start marching.

"Hut-two-three-four, I can't stand three-or-more!" is the battle cry.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 'Three-or-more' always makes me laugh. Thanks I needed it today. Seriously, has anyone heard any updates on JT. Hope he is getting whatever he needs.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 20, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

New post but some of these are just classic and should be caried over.....very entertaining day thus far...

Posted by: PhilR | November 20, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll start it here.. Duncan Keith on the Blue line next year with Alzner, Carlson, Green, Erskin, Schultz, Poti, and Sloan.

Pothier, Morrison, and Juice all leave as UFA (-$5.85M). Shultz does arbitration (+$500K more). Bring up Carlson and Alzner (+$2.55M). Re-sign Sloan (+500K more). total w/out Keith (-$2.8M)

Send Jose (-$2.5M), bring up Neuvirth (+$820K). Lose Nylander (-$4.88M). total (-$6.55M)

that leaves us about 9M to sign Backstrom (+4M more?), Flash ($1.5-2M more).

The question is, do you try to get Keith and players like B-Mo, and keep Fehr, Beagle, Gordon, Steckle... or do you keep Semin and have about 3M less to sign the role players.

Of course, this is all silly, as the Hawks will find a way to keep him somehow.. with Hossa, Campbell, Toews, Kane.. etc.. But fun to think about.

LOL.. ok.. so maybe it will never happen. However, I think that blue-line would be young, but amazingly talented. Sloan would be 7th and as a flex 4th winger.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | November 20, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

frick: Theo is -4.5, not -2.5. That's two million extra with which to play. Semin at 6.1 is +1.5 from his current 4.6.

Yes, keep him, he's your Jari Kurri. Flash is your Peter Bondra. If he gets close to 30 this year, the bidding will start at 2.5 (+1.8) for next year.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 20, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I can stand criticisms of players but if borders on being insulting and overbearing, where you come off feeling entitled to results that YOU expect, yeah, you'll get called out on it. There are plenty of posters I've read who are capable of analyzing a play, team, player, etc. without being an a$$hat. I'll refrain from echoing the sentiments that you're an offical member of the Doofus Brigade, if you'll take into consideration that some people may agree with you on certain points but not the way you present them. Oh, and anytime cstanton1 agrees with you, you KNOW you're in the wrong. Good luck with that. *points and laughs at cstanton1* Tool.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 20, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse