Morning roundup: Chimera set to debut

(Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
Morning roundup

It's been a whirlwind two days for the newest Washington Capital, who makes his debut tonight:

SAN JOSE -- On Monday, Jason Chimera was traded from the second-worst team in the Western Conference to the second-best team in the Eastern Conference.
On Tuesday, the rugged left winger saw his fortunes take another unexpected turn: Instead of being assigned to the checking line in his first practice with the Capitals, the 30-year-old skated with skilled forwards Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin. | Full story »

The Caps are still reeling a bit from losing Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina to Columbus, but they're turning their focus on winning in San Jose for the first time since 1993 -- a span of 11 games. | Full story »

Details on tonight's matchup:

Washington Capitals (24-9-6)
San Jose Sharks (24-8-7)
HP Pavillion, 10 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

And now for some links:

*Chimera on the trade, his new team, etc.:

*Game preview from Washingtoncaps.com

*Washington hoping to break the San Jose curse. (Examiner)

*Pierre Lebrun on Alexander Semin's contract extension, the trade and Mike Green/Team Canada. (ESPN)

*Juice gets named to Slovakia's Olympic roster. (Columbus Dispatch)

*A sweet deal for both the Caps and the Blue Jackets. (The Hockey News)

*Jackets lost their first game with Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina on the roster, but there were "positive vibes" in the locker room afterward. (Columbus Dispatch)

*Too many choices for the next Caps captain. (NHL.com)

*Ovie's signature doesn't come cheap. (Kukla's Korner)

*Some speculating on Team Canada. (Hockey or Die!)

*Announcement from Hockey Canada is at noon. More to come then.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 30, 2009; 5:41 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Chimera on second line
Next: Fleischmann named to Czech Republic's roster

Comments

I am looking forward to seeing his debut tonight. Just wish it was not at 10:00! I wonder how well he will need to do on that second line in order for some hat-eating to occur...

Posted by: crooks_c | December 30, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

I'll be up watching the game, still shocked and saddened by the trade. Chimera best be rockin' tonight to help my mood...

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 30, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

i'm surprised BB is putting him on the second line, especially with backstrom and semin. i think it puts more pressure on chimera to produce, which will be tough for him in a new team especially against the sharks. and with backstrom on such good form i'm surprised he is willing to split up the top line. hopefully i am proved wrong and chimera gets a goal and a couple of assists and the caps storm to an easy win. hopefully.

Posted by: colonelbagpuss | December 30, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Man, I feel for Greenie today. I hope he makes it.

Posted by: melissa2809 | December 30, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe BB is breaking up the OBS line! I wish he would have at least kept Backie up with AO!

Posted by: capscoach | December 30, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crooks_c | December 30, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Not to bring you further down, but it is at 10:30.... ;)

I think I might like Chimera, he seems well spoken and charismatic.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | December 30, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I think I will wait to see what BB does with regards to the lines. One practice does not commit him to that line. As he says, practice was really about immersion training in BB's system.

But that is a pretty damn speedy line...

Posted by: jdhoover | December 30, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Good glimpse of our newest Caps forward, Tarik, thanks. Chimera seems like a good guy, now let's hope he's great for the Caps.

From a previous thread about the Caps needing to be more of a hitting team, I have to commend Kittypawz for seeing both sides of the debate and summing it up so well.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 30, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay,

Your unprofessional snipe at Jeff Schultz in yesterday's chat betrayed your ignorance. Schultz is one of the better young shut-down defensemen in the league - a fact borne out by the stats. Columbus would have had to have given up a heck of a lot more than Chimera to get Schultz from the Caps. You should educate yourself at places like behindthenet and japersrink before you make yourself look foolish again.

Posted by: Nootka | December 30, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom-Semin seems the pair that is more important to keep together, IMO, than Backstrom-Ovechkin.

Ovechkin could be centred by ME and still score goals. And I can't hit a hockey puck straight to save my hide. :-p

And we ALL know about Boudreau's lines. They're shiftier than a shifty-eyed snake. Just because he *practiced* with the 2nd line doesn't mean he's going to *play* with them.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"Indeed, it was Jared Boll, not Chimera, who hurt Ovechkin."

I still say we toss them both in the Octagon to get it sorted out once and for all. Loser goes to the 2nd line, winner takes top line duties.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 30, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Think about it... Ovie had some chemistry with Morrison and Knuble early in the season. Chimera is the left wing muscle that has been missing from our second line. He will create room for Semin just with his presence. Teams will think twice to take a run at Semin while Chimera is there to pop you in return. This could give us three real potent scoring lines and keep the other teams from concentrating on the OSB line. I like it!

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

@ Nootka:

I was the one who started the Schultz bashing, and I stand by it. Stats-schmats. What i have seen this year from Schultz is that he's not giving up the puck as much as last year, but still he plays with no physicality and at his size, thats ridiculous. If he threw 3 or 4 hits a game he would get more respect and create more room for himself. Second, he has no shot! None, zip, nada. Its super weak, which makes him a subpar d-man, period. He's an average passer, but nothing to write home about.

So, in review, he's 6'6", 240lbs, doesn't throw his body around, has no shot from the point and is an average passer. Keep your stats. He's a liability and the reason he wasn't traded to Columbus was because they didn't want him.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Schultz:

6'6"
220 lbs
1G 8A +15
ATOI: 18:54
Cap hit: $715K

"He's a liability and the reason he wasn't traded to Columbus was because they didn't want him."

Myth.

The reason he wasn't traded was because he wasn't offered. At his price (and I feel like a broken record) he is going no where.

Where you going? NO WHERE!

Posted by: Fro_ | December 30, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if BB changed the lines up to try and jumpstart Knuble who hasn't really gotten going since returning from injury.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 30, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me if Chimera is a free agent next year?? Or do we have him locked up for a few???

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | December 30, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@OVIHtrick8

I believe he is locked up through 20011/2012

Posted by: Fro_ | December 30, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray,

Whether or not mouthbreathers can appreciate the worth of a shut-down D who "isn't physical enough" is not the point. The point is the value of Schultz as an asset. Fortunately, McPhee is smarter than you and Applebaum, and realizes that Schultz would be coveted by 29 other teams, and is worth far more in a trade than Chimera.

Posted by: Nootka | December 30, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@OVIHtrick8

He's got two more years at $1.9 mil per year after this season.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 30, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The Schultz bashers have this burning, gnawing blindness to anything positive in his play. "Stats-schmats". Yep, doesn't matter what he does, that one toe pick or hit not given is all that they see.

He has played pretty solid this season and is definitely improved over last year.

Posted by: _Mark | December 30, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Awesome... More Schultz bashing...
jmurray, you're right Schultz doesn't have shot... That's all you're right about though...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

What is with the blind obsession with having to hit? Why are only guys who hit any good?

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks guys. I really like this trade..I have heard mixed reviews...

I know Jurcina was the odd man out...why did I think it was Morrison I dont know...and it seems like a straight up for Clark but with more upside production wise. Thoughts??

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | December 30, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - I hereby post jmurray to the Doofus Brigade, S Battalion, to march with the rest of the Schultz-bashers.

@jmurray - Please pick up your uniform, kindly modeled for us today by Brigade Commander and - WTF was his title? - anyway, Don Cherry - and start marching.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x - Shuffling the lines to jump-start Knuble is not out of the question. It's not always about Ovechkin, Backstrom, or Semin; putting Knuble and BMo on a line with Ovechkin could easily jump-start their production, and playing Chimera-Backstrom-Semin (CBS line?) will give teams second and third thoughts about trying anything on Semin at all. Bodyguards-R-Us!

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I seem to recall reading somewhere (and I absolutely cannot remember where) that it was sort of up in the air between Juice and Mo, as to who would be leaving. Initially I thought it was probably better for us that it was Juice. But, he did play pretty well in the playoffs last year. Either way, this was good deal for both sides.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind the Clark/Chimera part of it.

I would've picked another D besides Jurcina, but he's a UFA next year.

So, as long as we use the extra $$$$$ to get a solid D by the trade deadline we're cool.

I think the team will live even though the effect of losing the captain is probably underestimated.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind the Clark/Chimera part of it.

I would've picked another D besides Jurcina, but he's a UFA next year.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@OVIHtrick8 - From everything I have seen, it was Clark that the Blue Jackets wanted from the outset, and Jurcina was added to the deal because they have a defenseman who is down injured right now, and may be out for quite some time...

On paper, it looks like a great deal for both sides, and now that I'm more-or-less over the emotional shock of losing Captain Clark, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of a beast Jason Chimera is in a Caps uniform.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@OVIHtrick8

The trade does many things for the Caps.

1. Chimera is a LW, we had Clark playing LW on the 3rd line, Clark is a natural RW. So we now have natural LW playing LW.

2. Next season, had you not made a trade, you'd have Knuble, Semin, Fehr, Bradley and Clark all playing RW. Someone had to go.

3. Clark was making $2.6M with another to go. At this point in his career with the Capitals, he'd be a 4th liner making $2.6M, that is not the formula for winning a SC.

4. Trading Jurcina, alleviates the logjam on the blueline. We now only have 8 defensemen vying for 6 spots.

5. By trading both of those guys away, we have created over $1M in salary cap space this season and next.

What I do believe is that Jurcina was gone after the season. The fact that we could find a willing trade partner so early is a benefit.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@CF11555 - Actually, both Jurcina and ShaMo are UFA next season, so that isn't the reason.

For other possibilities:

* ShaMo shoots left.
* Jurcina shoots right.
-but-
* Klesa shoots left (and is out with a torn groin). So as a direct replacement for Klesa, ShaMo would have made more sense...

* ShaMo's full season cap hit is 1.975.
* Jurcina's full season cap hit is 0.748, so he would have been more attractive to Columbus.

* Clark @ 1.433 + Jurcina @ 0.748 = 2.181

* Chimera's full season cap hit is 1.020, so Columbus had to add salary, where we lost salary, so that's probably not it either.

So which, between ShaMo and Jurcina, is a better fit with the Caps?

We won't know for sure right away... but offhand, I'd say the Caps wanted to keep ShaMo more than they did Jurcina.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Doofus Brigade? for simply having an opinion based on 30plus years of hockey experience? (playing, watching, reading) Nice to see you guys will handle this like adults.

Schultz was a first round pick, has the size of Pronger and skates well. I'm not saying that you have to hit to be a good player, but Schultz would be more valuable if he threw his size around a bit. I don't think he plays like a first round pick. He doesn't play with an edge. I know his size makes it seem like he is lax on ice, and thats a bit misleading, but I still think he is a subpar d-man. Jurcina is better, IMO, even if just a little bit. Jurcina has a huge shot and will throw the body around. That's invaluable in the league today. That's why Columbus wanted him.
I stand by my opinion. If the other teams in the league want him so bad, as you say, then we should trade him for a more physical #4 or #5 defensemen and a draft pick and call up Sean Collins, John Carlson or Patrick McNeil. Lets see what they can do.
However, I seriously doubt we could get that from any team because Schultz isn't worth it.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

jmurray019

Schutlz does use his body... Its called his reach or wingspan to pokecheck you to death. He is almost always in perfect position. Of all of our defensemen, he has been on the ice for the fewest goals allowed.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray

Explain to me, with all of your 30 years of experience.

How does a sorry a$$, weak, pathetic, slow, unskilled, non-hitting 1st round bust play 20 minutes per game and allow the fewest goals of any defensemen on this team?

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray019 - Yep. We're adults here. :-)

The problem is, all everyone who bashes Schultz sees is a big guy who "won't use his size." Well, what if he's a big guy who plays a different style of hockey than the one you Schultz-bashers clearly want him to play? And he does it well, and effectively. You cannot just toss the numbers out the window. Period.

Throw your hockey experience around all you want. You don't impress me.

* Schultz added mass over the summer to go with that height. He *has* been throwing his body around more this year than in years past. That will continue as he grows into his frame and fills out.

* Schultz is #6 in the WHOLE LEAGUE in +/-. Say what you will, but that's pretty damned elite company.

* If you're looking at hits, Schultz is up the middle of the pack on the Caps, with 29.

* He's blocked 56 shots this year, one fewer than Mike Green, and 2nd in the team.

* And he's taken only 14 PIMs in the 32 games he's played.

Mindless bashing is as ridiculous as our Doofus Brigade is. Welcome aboard.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - Thank you for pointing out Schultz's wingspan as a different way of using his body than the bashers clearly want him to do. He's very good at pokechecks, etc. and does not HAVE to make big, crushing hits to "use his body" effectively.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

jmurray, no worries about the doofus brigade. your opinion is as valid as
anyone elses. schultz seems to be the new larry murphy. there seems to be very little middle ground.

however, the comparison to pronger at this point is unfair. pronger was like a top 2 or 3 pick in his draft class. schultz was at the back of the first round.

schultz is also only 23 years old. he does not use his size as most would like, mostly because i think he's not the best skater out there but he's getting better. he also has learned to use he reach to his advantage. he is playing good positional hockey and you cant ignore the plus minus rating. i bet the reason they didnt move him to cbus was not because cbus didnt want him, its because the caps wouldnt part with him. he's 23 and makes an entry level salary. he's also an RFA at the end of this year. you dont trade a guy at that point (well, unless you get are getting significant value in return, which was not what was being offered). if schultz was so bad, BB would have him in the healthy scratch rotation w/ erskine and sloan.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 30, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@ irock Concur. Do you post under the same name at Japer's? I joined up over there because I'm starting to get disgusted with the craziness on this board.

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 30, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray,

Schultz hasn't been traded for an equally effective D who happens to be more physical because such a thing is exceedingly rare (and therefore more valuable). Any team can find a brute that hits but is otherwise a pylon. The Caps have one, called Erskine. But to find someone who can shut down the other team AND play a physical style is not an easy combo to find. Regehr, Chara, Pronger play that way....who else? Not too many, so don't whine about Schultz not being such a player. Few are.

Schultz is effective because of his positioning, hockey sense, and wingspan. I supposed you'd hate on Bouwmeester too if he played for DC, since he doesn't hit even though he's a big guy.

Posted by: Nootka | December 30, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin - Yes I do. You may find it hard to break in over there on Japers' - I know I have - but it's a good, analytical site. And they don't hate Schultz. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Pronger doesn't even hit. Uses his body, but doesn't hit. Greenie has had more hits than Pronger over the last 3 years.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

This is the last time I will write about Schultz today. If this team wants to win a Stanley Cup, they NEED to upgrade the blue line. Who would you get rid of? Poti? Pothier? Erskine? We know Green and Alzner aren't going anywhere. Sloan is too valuable because he can also play forward.
So that leaves Shaone MO and Schultz. Those 2 aren't better than the guys listed above, are they? Erskine is probably the only one you could really argue with. But he brings some toughness that we need. (Not trying to hammer home the physical aspects of the game here, but we need more physical d-men.)
Fine, Schultz has been on the ice for the fewest goals. His reach and positioning are his game. I understand that. But we need to upgrade. Without even an average shot, with his reluctance to hit someone once in awhile and with his playoff disappearances 2 years in a row (go look them up) I think we need better.

You may think I'm wrong. You may think I need to join the Doofus Brigade. Fine. I say pull your heads out of the stat books and watch a game. If you think we can stand pat and get past the 2nd round of the Stanley Cup playoffs the way we are currently constructed on the blueline, you should pick up your Doofus Brigade uniforms and I'll see you at the rink.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

as probably the king of the schultz bashers, schultz has improved and i still think he may get better. He does use his wingspan, but come on people say schultz hits. Stop taking everything they post over at japers as a fact. I have seen just as many idiot posts over there as i do here

Posted by: _stevo | December 30, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray019 - I watch every game, just like you do. Perhaps we see different things, because I'm NOT hauling around the baggage of 30 years as a hockey fan that Schultz-bashers seem to be. I see hockey from a post-Lockout point of view, and that is why I see Schultz as good and effective in his position. People who are stuck in the 1990s rut need to pull themselves out of the past and get with the program.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@irock The only way I wouldn't fit in over there is that I don't have time to post much. My hockey knowledge is pretty deep, though I don't have time to make spreadsheets and graphs ;)

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 30, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo - 29 hits in 32 games is decent. It's neither the best on the team, nor is it the worst. It's just not Schultz's game.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin - Cool. Are you posting with the same handle?

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Funny that you mention Alzner as being untouchable. He doesn't hit much, either. His game is all positioning, stick-work, and hockey sense. Will you whoop-whoop him out of town?

Posted by: Nootka | December 30, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

For all those that think Schultz is going somewhere , please read Boudrreaus book Gabby,Gabby has man love for him.

Posted by: billd2 | December 30, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I have my own opinions and do not need Japers or any other site to make my mind up... I actually find good info over there, but they are a bit full of themselves over there (japers)...

@jmurray

I don't know a thing about the Doofus Brigade. I'm not saying you belong to it. I will say that your 30 years of experience mean little to me. The fact that you just pointed out to me that you believe Poti and Erskine are better defensemen than Schultz is all I need to determine that you haven't been watching the Caps with an objective eye, rather a skewed eye with a hard dose of Schultz hate.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - The folks at Japers' full of themselves? Surely you jest... :-p

Ø /sarcasm Ø

New thread...

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

ok, i lied, this is the last post. I hear what all of you are saying. But we don't have that physical/shutdown defenseman. I know they are rare, but IMO essential to winning consistently year in and year out. This team worries me come playoff time because of the D. Don't most Cup champs have that stud shut down D man? Wouldn't you be more confident in our post season chances if we had one?

I would like Bouwmeester if he played here. He's better than Schultz. Schultz is young, makes $750K and has value. Trade for him for an upgrade at the position. I'd rather win a Cup than see Schultz play solid yet unspectacular defense for the next 10 years. Wouldn't it be nice to watch the Caps play in June every year?

As for my hockey knowledge, i wasn't trying to impress anyone, just putting it out there so you know how long I have been involved and followed the game. I am not someone who just jumped on the bandwagon in the last few years. My favorite Cap of all time is John Druce, for godsake, and he was my favorite player before his playoff heroics because he wore my hockey number, 19.

The Caps come first for me in this town. The rank above the Redskins and all other teams in my world. I bleed Red white and Blue. Forgive me for wanting the team to be better.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

jmurray:

Like it or lump it, you've been sent - BY UNANIMOUS CONSENT - to the Doofus Brigade.

Failure to report and you are AWOL.

Select a rifle, grab a pair of boots, pick out a Don Cherry jacket and cap and start marching.

You're in the army now, soldier.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

By the way, to elaborate, Schultz makes $715K.

What in God's name do you expect?

A team can have JayBo at $5.6M and Phaneuf and Regehr, but that team still needs a Schultz type to balance out the cap.

Schultz will one day, if not now, by a fine, second-pair, defensive defenseman. I would say for certain a team could win the Cup with Schultz as one of the 6 d-men.

jmurray: If you recant, you can be relieved of your duty and then you don't have to wear the Don Cherry jacket and serve in the brigade. Recant while you can!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@Jschon:

Man, twisting words is common here, eh? Erskine plays a different game, but I did not say he was better. And yes, I think Poti is better. That's why we signed him and paid him to come here. I think the point I made in that post is that he wasn't going any where. You should pay better attention to what people write.

Also, your damn right I carry around Caps baggage! I've had my heart broken dozens of times come April! That's why i care! I understand the game of hockey. I love my team. I think they should upgrade to get better. If I'm wrong, so be it. But personal attacks and name calling are irrelevant to the conversation. That makes your argument mean less when you take it down to that level.

I will come on here and admit I was wrong about Schultz when and if that day comes. Would any of you "Schultz lovers" be willing to do the same? I would be pretty happy if Schultz proves me wrong, actually. That would be the best of both worlds.

@irockthered:

thanks for being a post-lock-out fan. The team needs fans like you. It took a long time for this town to become a hockey town. Thanks to people like you, it now is. I've waited my 30-plus years for this to happen, with or without Jeff Schultz, and I am thankful for it.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

jmurray,

Your last few posts make reasonable points. That's a stark contrast from shoveling undeserved ridicule on an effective (and as you point out, cheap) player. I definitely want to see the Caps upgrade their D. I just don't agree that giving away Schultz for a song would accomplish that.

Posted by: Nootka | December 30, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

come on Greenie - team canada- the last thing we need is a pouty green

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton: Good call on the Chimera second line thing.

However, I don't know about this hitting thing you've been going on about for days (I'm just now getting caught up).

I did a little research on NHL hits. Of the top 10 teams with the most hits 4 would make the playoffs if the season ended today (PIT, OTT, BOS, LAK). The other 6 teams wouldn't (CAR, DAL, NYR, ANA, DET, and CBJ). Arguably, some of those teams will end up making the playoffs.

Then I took a look at the bottom 10 teams (i.e. teams with the fewest amount of hits). Of those teams 8 would make the playoffs if the season ended today (MTL, WSH, NJD, COL, NSH, VAN, ATL, BUF). The other 2 teams wouldn't (PHI, EDM). OBTW, of the 8 teams that would make the playoffs 4 are division leaders.

So, it looks to me like the norm is that hitting does not equate to success. I want success, I don't care how they do it.

BTW, here is the link where I got my info:

It's from NHL.com so I assume it to be correct.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@ Nootka: It would be appreciated if you conducted yourself in a more mature manner. Calling out Ms. Applebaum like that warrants a caning in some countries. Maybe solitary confinement. You owe Ms. Applebaum an apology. You backcountry hack. Sadly, your resulting birth from in-breeding is very evident. How sad for you.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 30, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray019

The doofus brigade bit is an ongoing joke. No need to take it so personally. Of course other opinions are welcome but mindless bashing does gets old. Your later posts about Schultz are much better argued but your initial posts were just a "toss the bum out" type and posters will react.

Personally I think Schultz is valuable and a whole lot cheaper and is developing nicely. When he is effective no one notices him but he keeps the puck away and positions himself well on the ice. He's a stay-at-home d-man--something this offensive team can use.

He's never going to be the kind of gigantic elite physical d-man many fans want (and indeed that kind of d-man is a rare commodity). And I believe he serves as one of the scapegoats for frustrated Caps fans. But he does has great value to the team too as some your later posts reluctantly admitted.

There were many posts on yesterdays thread about the need for the whole team to hit more. So perhaps you shouldn't single out Schultz for lacking in the hitting department unless it really is for you all about using his size to be a that type of physical player.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@ jmurray019

Also who knows what GMGM will do come March or even sooner. The Caps now have the cap room for roster movement. You may yet get that big d-man you and others are hungering for.

As for the playoffs there are a lot of ways to skin a cat so to speak so I don't think that there is any one assured piece to add to the Caps game that will guarantee anything.

When it comes to playoffs the hockey gods have to be with you so that the puck bounces are in the Caps favor.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@leftcoastcapsfan,

Is that a joke? Pointing out that an editor acted unprofessionally and made an uninformed comment is immature?

Posted by: Nootka | December 30, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse