Morning roundup: Focus is the key

(John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

Morning Roundup

The Caps' last six games were a litmus test of sorts to see how they matched up against the NHL's top teams. They won two of the contests, but it's not so black and white.

"We can go great for so many periods of time, and we give up some brain-dead chances," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We're up to about 51 minutes a game. If we can get those other nine minutes going, we'll be fine."

Click here to read the story.

Etc.: Aucoin assigned to Hershey, Theodore and Gordon return to practice.

* Sweet shootout winner (Alex Ovetjkin)

* So far, so good for Bob Woods (Washington Times)

* Caps have a few days to make fixes (DC Examiner)

* Bruce talks about game days (Caps)

* Nicklas Backstrom on Forsberg jerseys and the Interwebs (NHL Home Ice)

* Caps up from No. 11 to No. 8 in ESPN's power rankings.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 20, 2009; 9:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aucoin Assigned to Hershey
Next: Fleischmann Receives Clearance

Comments

great job on the coffee mug haha i don't believe i mentioned it before. a little eraser tool, emboss...

Posted by: MNMNT | October 20, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. I'd buy that mug if it were for sale! One for me, and one for each Caps fan on my holiday gift list. :)

Posted by: hillg | October 20, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

i think i'd just enjoy it from afar, on the interweb.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 20, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Cafe Press is your friend.

Posted by: irockthered | October 20, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Sweet, glad you like the mug! I wasted a lot of time at work making it.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | October 20, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Semin being out with an undisclosed illness (flu perhaps?), have any of you noticed any uptick in absences either at work or school due to the flu (swine or otherwise)? I haven't (yet, anyway). Just wondering. Haven't decided whether to get the swine flu vaccine.

Posted by: 1hockeymom | October 20, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

hockeymom: Johnny Cochrane might say, if he were still here, "Drink your wine and you won't get the swine."

That's my plan anyway and I'll let you know how it works.

As for those mugs, the club could sell a 4-pack for $39.99. Caps logo on one side, a player on the other. Collect the whole team!

You could then line them up nicely and neatly in your kitchen on a ledge except that the Nylander mug would have to be stuffed away deeply in that cabinet you almost never open cuz it has stuff you almost never use.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

What's really important is how they are playing in April and where their power ranking is in April. Approximately midway through the season last year the Penguins were a .500 hockey team. At this time of the year the only concern should be the build up of points regardless of the opponent.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 20, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Should I be embarrassed to admit that I'd buy those mugs at $39.99? =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 20, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@leftCoastCapsFan,
LOL. Well, I would. But 39.99 is my entire life savings. Do they actually sell those things?

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@hillg

You have Caps fans on your holiday gift list? The band wagon has arrived and my friends STILL make fun of me for being the only one who watches hockey.

Posted by: nicko | October 20, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@ hock1: Doesn't appear so or I would have had them already. =P Btw, you still HAVE savings? You're better off than me. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 20, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Reading through a Kovalchuk itnerview on nhl.com pulling some quotes here that include our favorite russian and some of his comrades...

"For whatever reason, Ovechkin touches the puck and you have 20,000 people looking at him; Kovalchuk maybe not yet. You have to be careful -- you know he's selective" Martin Brodeur

"Ovi's not just a great shooter, he's a great overall player, and the same goes for Malkin and Datsyuk. They all can score, they all can make great plays and they can play great defensively when it's needed. That's where we all want to be. We don't want to call ourselves a sniper or strictly a defensive player, we all want to be known as good overall players" Ilya Kovalchuk

"I don't think he's as physical as Ovi because Ilya's more dynamic around the front of the net where Ovi is more blast-it-from-a-little-ways-out. Kovy likes to get in tighter but, other than that, all the Russians are such tremendous players in their own right. The one thing I think the Russians are teaching are skills and since ice time is so expensive over here, it's easier for the coaches to teach systems as opposed to skills, and I think the Russians got it right," (Thrasher's Coach)Anderson continued. "They're teaching skills and letting them play and I think we need to get back to some of that old school stuff." John Anderson

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=502788

Posted by: breaklance | October 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@nicko - Yes, I'm very lucky in that regard. :) My family has had season tickets since I was a kid, so we're all longtime die-hard Caps fans, and when I met my now-fiancé for the first time, I discovered that he has also been a Caps fan since childhood (we spent most of our first date talking about hockey - no wonder it worked out!) and he has several cousins who've had season tickets for years. And we're all coffee drinkers, too, so these mugs would be perfect!!

Posted by: hillg | October 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse