Morning roundup: Guess who's back?

(Richard A. Lipski/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

I'll give you a hint: It's not Eminem, and it's definitely not Michael Nylander. From Tarik's preview of tonight's game in Tampa:

Alex Ovechkin will return from a two-game suspension as the Capitals seek to set a franchise record for consecutive wins against a single opponent with their 12th straight triumph over the 19th-place Lightning. Interestingly, the Capitals have thrived in Ovechkin's absence. In the eight games the two-time MVP has missed due to injury and suspension, Washington has averaged 4.5 goals per game, received tallies from 15 different players and posted a 6-2-0 record. | More here »

From the Tampa Bay perspective, tonight's game is all about the Lightning ending their futility against the Caps. In the St. Petersburg Times:

The Capitals have beaten Tampa Bay 11 straight games. So when the Southeast Division rivals face off for the first time this season, [Coach Rick] Tocchet said the Lightning has something to prove.
"It's big," he said. "It's big for us to see where we stand. This is important to see where we are as a franchise and the players we have here."

Washington Capitals (18-5-6)
Tampa Bay Lightning (11-9-8)
St. Pete Times Forum, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

There was no practice Sunday, but Coach Bruce Boudreau spoke briefly to reporters in Tampa. Here's some of what he had to say:

On David Steckel finally scoring a goal Saturday night:

"It's [been] hard for me because I admire him so much, so every second day I'm telling him, 'Listen, Spezza's got two goals, this guy's got one goal' ... so every time I watch a game and I hear about Chad LaRose only has one goal, signs a new, big deal after three years, you know, scoring 19 last year, you try to build his spirits up, but inside, he's a competitive, competitive guy that wants to play and wants to score. And he's been holding the stick so tight. So I'm really happy for him."

(Matt Slocum/AP)

On the notion that the Caps' offense has to pick up the slack for its defense:

"Don't go telling [NBC's] Mike Milbury that or [Sports Illustrated's] Alan Muir that, because they keep saying we can't play defensive hockey. We're good defensively, I believe. Sometimes, and if you've played the game before, when you score four or five goals and you're up, it is really difficult to keep that pressure on, and ... you're so up for the game that it's human nature to relax a little bit. But I mean, every week in the power rankings, they read Alan Muir saying we can't play defense, so it's interesting.

On Jim Kelley's Sports Illustrated column on Alex Ovechkin being dangerous and "above the rules:"

"You know, I heard about it, and I heard it was so ridiculously ridiculous that I was hoping someone would have it or be able to show it to me. Because I would like to, you know, not attack [Kelley], but I'd like to at least have a chance for a rebuttal on all the things he said that weren't true."

Video:

And now for a delicious Internet buffet:

*Ted Leonsis continues to slap his angry emailers with the old "I told you so" schtick. Might need to purchase some extra bandwidth if he buys the Wiz. (Ted's Take)

*NY Post's Larry Brooks weighs in on Alex Ovechkin and the great debate over whether the Caps' star should change the way he plays the game.

*Ovie's got some friendly competition. (NHL.com)

*One man's prediction: Sidney Crosby will win the Art Ross, Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin will battle it out for second. (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review)

*The Hockey News sees Ovechkin as a person of considerable power.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 7, 2009; 5:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flyers' Carcillo suspended four games
Next: Caps assign Alzner to Hershey

Comments

All right Caps - let's put on a show.
I don't want to speak too soon, but 2009 looks great to be a Caps fan.
I'm thinking Stanley

Posted by: ozcapfan | December 7, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

All right Caps - let's put on a show.
I don't want to speak too soon, but 2009 looks great to be a Caps fan.
I'm thinking Stanley

Posted by: ozcapfan | December 7, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

If we keep playing like we have been plus add in Ovechkin there is no doubt we could get there imho

Posted by: nickiefan83 | December 7, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

why link bull from pittsburgh about pittsburgh players here? no one here cares.

Posted by: spinner-33 | December 7, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

@spinner-33

I visit non-Caps blog sites all the time to see what other people gripe about. If you choose not to care, then do not read it, do not comment about.

You have the choice, which is a great thing.

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

jschon- i'll say it nicely because it's monday and i'm in a good mood. back off dude. you're waaaaaay too bossy. we don't need a hall monitor.

everyone here is entitled to an opinion, and they are entitled to voice it. that's the point of the board.

my opinion is this is a caps board, not a pens board. if they want to post pens links, do it on the pens board. you wanna read pens links, go to the pens board and read them. you're welcome to go anywhere you want.

Posted by: spinner-33 | December 7, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks you spinner-33 for making point for me.

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Its basically your opinion to dictate what news is disseminated by Tarik, Lindsey and group.

I'm saying give us any info you want to give us and let us decide what to read and what not to read...

And I'm bossy...

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Easy does it guys. It's a good day to be a Caps fan. We have our Ovi back and the team is just clicking along nicely.

I don't mind WP posting the links but I don't bother to go there. Just don't link and we can maintain our sense of oneness with the hockey gods. Although I do find it odd that the links are usually with the Pens. Does this mean that they cannot help but comment on our team whereas other papers stay focused on their own team. Or perhaps its because we have pulled one point ahead of them in fewer games played. Or are they just as caught up in the Ovi/Crosby mania too.

Anyhoo--let's just have a great game tonight boys. Let's be energetic and disciplined and take care of business just like a day at the office.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 7, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Spinner

Jschon is the voice of reason on this blog and posts intelligently.

You....not so much.

I was in Philly on Sat night and was pleased to see a lot of Caps fans at the game. It was the quietest I've ever heard the Flyers fans...and most cheered for a good 60 seconds when the ref was beaned in the noggin. Class...

Posted by: jeets | December 7, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

@capsyoungsguns

I have a feeling that either Lindsey or Katie are secret Pens fans, or maybe its no secret at all.

As for spinner-33 and my first comment to him/her...

He/she probably thought I was being snarky with the comment, which I wasn't. I was just saying we all have choices, its an open forum for us all.

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind posting links on other teams, as long as our writers aren't writing articles about them I think it's ok.

However, I do feel it's important for fans to see what's happening all over the league and not just in DC.

I'm gonna side with Locker tonight and say Steckle scores again, but let's not forget how Flash beat em in OT the last couple years, I just hope no OT is required tonight.

BTW I think the correct title of the posting should be "Guess who's back.... back again" with the injury and all.

I can't wait to see how many hits Ovi has his first shift. ;-)

Posted by: Osfan092589 | December 7, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see how many hits Ovi has his first shift. ;-)

Posted by: Osfan092589 | December 7, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about double post, I'm using a PS3 so I dunno what happened.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | December 7, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about double post, I'm using a PS3 so I dunno what happened.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | December 7, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

No problem

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Personally I think Tarik and Lindsay check over there because I believe we and our Ovi do get mentioned a lot. As do they and Crosby. I think it's inevitable. And Crosby has finally figured out that if he shoots the puck more (his sogs have really shot up this season) then he's going to get more goals. I'm sure the link has to do with the Art Ross or something like that since he's doing so well in the points department and our Ovi has slipped because of course if he's not playing then he's not racking up the points.

Personally I like the rivalry, and I will especially enjoy it this spring when we are the ones left holding the Cup. What can I say, I'm in a frisky mood this morning.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 7, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Also I think our Ovi has Olympic gold and Stanley Cup aspirations this season. Art Ross and Hart--been there, done that. Checked off his list!!!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 7, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Ovi 21 games 30 points 1.43ppg
Sid 29 games 36 points 1.24ppg

WAS has 53 more games to play
PIT has 52 more games to play

Ovi 53 x 1.43 = 75.79 + 30 = 105.79
Sid 52 x 1.24 = 64.48 + 36 = 100.48

Someone please check my math...

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Crosby can have the Art Ross..This teams has 2 goals...first is the #1 seed in the east, and after that is the Stanley Cup.

Nothing else matters right now...If we can smack the Flyers with or without Ovie...then thats all that matters.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 7, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Does anyone find this concerning that Semin is going to be a little pain and we could have problems resigning him?

Posted by: padams2 | December 7, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: padams2 | December 7, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin may win the Ross and the Richard just by accident, but yes I think the players have the big prize in the thier sites...

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Amen, SA-Town!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 7, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

You people who think this is a message board need to recheck your definitions. This is nothing more than a collection of comments on a newpaper article.
If you're looking for a Capitals message board, there are plenty of them out there.
Try this one:

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 7, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

@padams

Semin has a lot to prove the rest of the way. If he can produce the way we think he can and come up big in the playoffs, he may get his dough.

If it's on and off injuries then we may have some leverage to bargain.

I hope he shows up big, because we are hard to stop when he does...

Signing Backstrom and him could be tough, but the cards still need to fall for Semin in my opinion.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 7, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

let them win all those trophies, who cares?

there's only ONE trophy that matters in this sport

Posted by: joek443 | December 7, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Spot on SA-Town

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind at all when they post the links.

I just don't like it if I open CI and there's a picture of Crysby or Hartnell at the top.

Caps (main subject) pictures only is my only request.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 7, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Nylander off the books is huge too...If we take Theo's and Nylanders money and roll it to Semin and Backstrom, we should be just fine.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 7, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

It aint that easy. You have more people to sign this summer and also have key players to resign the following summer.

Posted by: JSchon | December 7, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that wins the Cup or ends up first in the standings is going to have to lose people.

It means that you plenty of good players, and they will need contracts...Setting up the core is key...so if guys have to go...thats business.

You can't let a key performer go, just to keep 2 or 3 role players...you can replace them, you cant replace a Semin or Backstrom.

Nylander, Clark, Poti, and probably Knuble wont be around for the 11-12 season...so the revolving door works itself out.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 7, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Also, if BMo continues playing like he this for the rest of the season, look for him to have to find another team next year. He will want a 3-4 year deal at $3-4 M and there is no way that GMGM will sign a 35 year old to a more than 1 or 2 year deal. Look for the Caps to rotate a UFA in a center slot for 1 to 2 year deals for a while. That is the result of salary cap era and having to try to deal big, long term contracts to Semin and Backstrom.

Posted by: atybat | December 7, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

As long as Morrison signs before he turns 35 (Aug 15, 2010) he can do a "cheat deal" like LeBrun has detailed in his recent article. Caps could give him 3.5 for 2, 2.5 for 2 and then 500K for 2. Total $13M for 6 yrs, cap hit annually $2.15M and he can retire before the last two yrs w/remaining hit vanishing into thin air just like w/Pronger deal.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 7, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least the Bradley baby question has finally been answered. All we inquiring moms want to know . . .

. . . Tarik, let us know the blessed outcome!

Posted by: Steakum | December 7, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

GMGM won't sign him for a cheat deal... If the team stays relatively intact (signing Semin and Backstrom), Bmo will be expendable. Give Perrault the rest of the season to develop and have him log in the type of minutes that BMo logs in and you will get as good a result at a much cheaper price.

Posted by: atybat | December 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@Wiley

You're kidding!!!! I didn't know that this blog had to be an official message board in order for me to talk with my fellow Caps fans. Gosh What can I do to make this right? Hmmm! Ignore your narrow definition and keep on writing. I like the posters on this blog. Most of them anyway.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

True we can rotate another center in for BMo next season but what a great year he's having. He has been one of GMGM's better moves, along with Knubes. They fit seamlessly within the chemistry of this team and work well inBB's system. I actually do hope we can resign him but I can accept losing him to his career resurgence this season as a Caps.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 7, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Last seasonwas such a low point in BMo's career. I love the fact that he's having one of his best seasons with us. Being older myself I like when the older players get frisky and start racking up the points. And provide maturity to our young phenoms.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 7, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Perreault will not begin to give you BMo's experience for years. I disagree that he can just replace BMo at a cheaper price. Maybe three years down the road.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 7, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Guess who's back? I thought the answer was going to be Chris Bourque.

Posted by: je121819 | December 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

tom,
experience comes with years of service, of course Perreault won't give you the years of experience that BMo has but he can give you the results, in time.
BMo brings some intangible from experience that Perreault won't bring for a few years, true, such as locker presence, maturity on the ice, etc... BMo is coming to a close on his career and he will defenetely want one last shot at making beaucoup$$, that's the business.
Again, unless he is willing to sign a 1 year deal, he will be gone.

Posted by: atybat | December 7, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"...the 19th-place Lightning"

Why is their overall NHL position relevant?

Posted by: SteveNaismith | December 7, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I love that picture of Stecks, Greenie, Nicky, and Semin. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | December 7, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse