Morning roundup: Making a splash

(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

In three games with the Caps, undersized center Mathieu Perreault has taken advantage of his call-up, racking up a goal and two assists and impressing Coach Bruce Boudreau.

"He's had a great week," Boudreau said. "His energy, his tenacity, his pedigree. I say that because he was the MVP of the Quebec [Major Junior Hockey League] and sometimes you see a guy for the first time and you wonder, 'How could he be the MVP of the league?' Then you watch him and you see how he's a pain to play against and how he competes so hard. Coaches love guys who compete hard."

Click here to read the story.

Tonight's matchup:

Islanders (6-6-5)
Capitals (10-3-4)
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet, NHL Network
Radio: 820 AM, 1500 AM

* Preview from Mike Vogel:

Wednesday night marks the third meeting between the Capitals and the Islanders in the season's first 18 games. The two old Patrick Division foes go head-to-head again at Verizon Center, facing off for the third time in 19 days.
Washington has just three regulation losses in its first 17 games, the fewest of any team in the NHL. The Caps' 24 points is tied for the most in the Eastern Conference and two points shy of Colorado and San Jose for the top spot in the league. Both the Avalanche and the Sharks have played one more game than Washington.

* Brendan Morrison and Mike Knuble are fitting in well so far. (Washington Times)

* Steve Yzerman thinks the NHL should participate in the 2014 Games. (Vancouver Sun via Kukla's Korner)

* GMs unlikely to clamp down on headshots. (National Post)

* Wrapping up Day 1 of the GM meetings (ESPN)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 11, 2009; 8:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nylander update
Next: Video: Ovechkin making progress

Comments

Here is hoping that today we get some finality to the Circles situation.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 11, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

You know its a good day when you dont play a game and you leap from second in the eastern standings to first. Seems the Pens ( and Cindy) are falling a little flat these days.

Rock the Red tonight!!! Go Caps!!!!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 11, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Nylander update, anyone?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

morning roudup, blah, blah, blah, Perreault, blah blah blah, fewest regulation losses, blah, blah, blah, Brendan Morrison, blah, blay blah, Olympics, blah blah blah, GM's meeting, blah, blah.....

What's up wity Nyles?????

Posted by: griz0615 | November 11, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

chesnakov reports that nylander's russian wiki page says he signed with salavat yulaef on nov 10. not sure if that's a hockey club or a dance troupe...no confirmation from anyone...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 11, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

ps. salavat is victor kozlov's team...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 11, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It seems the reporters are getting the news from the fans these days...internet world.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

They should clamp down on headshots.

They should remove that stupid trapizoid. :)

They should take a look at the new helmet that Messier is going to introduce.

Has anyone seen the video that they showed at the GM meetings? Very interesting indeed.

Oh yeah, first place in the conference is riding on tonight's game. So...Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: WVCapsFan | November 11, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

great energy and work Matty, keep diggin! LETS GO CAPS!!!!! c u all @ VC 2nite!

Posted by: bigBinMd | November 11, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Lyle

Your obsession with getting info the minute you wake up is telling of a personality that is never satisfied. A blogger can throw out info and everyone can take it as fact but a reporter for a newspaper has to get confirmation of the facts before reporting.

Its quite simple really. You can get your facts from a blogger in Poland or from a trusted news source.

I vote for facts from a reporter - and if that means I need to wait an hour or two, so be it. This is hockey, not world peace.

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@Jeets

The story is Nylander...nothing else matters today. You are right, I'm not satisfied because this has been a thorn in our sides for a year now... and it leads to much bigger stories.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I also expect reporters to dig for those facts instead of reporting what other reporters have already reported.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

And by complaining that there is no news when you signed on this morning helps your thorny side how?

Sorry to get personal, not my intention but I get a little crazy when complaints over things out of our control becomes the primary focus of the comments on this site (the best, I think, of all the Caps blogs)

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@ The Kettler Center...

I have to say, E.Fehr looks sharp today. Like a Hattori Hanzo blade.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I think Matt Bradley is already wearing the Messier helmet.

What's all this talk about Nylander? Is he going to finally play tonight?

Posted by: saintex | November 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Schultz looks less awkward today as well.
Poti is doing his warmup drills from his belly.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

if you don't like the style of reporting on this blog, go elswhere - it's that simple -

Is anyone else tired of the whining?

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@jeets - why don't not worry about what I'm doing?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I missed the whining part I guess. Who's not anxious to hear "the news"? Really...

Posted by: Chad8 | November 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Im sick and tired of being sick and tired of Tom Poti...

Maybe I should become his biggest fan from here on out.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else tired of the whining?

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Nahhh...There's been daily whining on this blog since its inception. I simply don't comprehend the Nylander obsession on the part of so many fans who simply MUST KNOW all the details of his situation and feel entitled to that information.

Posted by: CapsChick | November 11, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, Messier is endorsing the Cascade helmets. This is the same helmet that Brads is now wearing.

Posted by: TJ91 | November 11, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is not a story anymore. Nylander is on his way to Russia, who cares where, or he is retiring. He was put on waivers, no other NHL team wants him (and they had 2 days to think about it, two days for his agent to call GMs)but he does have an offer from Russia that he is "thinking about". Unless you believe he will allow McPhee to send him to Hershey (I don't)there are only 2 choices, Russia/retire. He has waived his no move clause (he had to to be put on waivers) so we can send him to the AHL and I don't believe he wants that. He will head to Sweden or Russia, why do you care which?

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I do not believe that there is all this information out there to be had just by asking.

GMGM doesnt say anything worth writing about, even after a move has been made.

Boudreau is cliche machine, you heard one of his quotes you've heard them all.

Leonsis isnt going to say a thing.

Laich will tell you about the Bank, the bakery and net.

Semin, well....

Clark will talk to you as his ear appears to be falling off...

Talk to any Canadian and you will hear plenty of "for sures" and "eh's" and "or-gan-IZ-ations"

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is truly a non-story. I've already spent his money. I want to know who we are going to move who is not Swedish.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I agree asking anyone within the organization you will get the same resonponse about Nylander just being gone, wasn't a fit etc. But if someone tried to interview Nylander once he is officially loaned to see his side of what went down maybe you get some answers. While I recognize it's not a big deal that anyone knows, some people would like to know if something actually happened or if he just wasnt a good fit. So an interview with him would be worth pursuing.

Posted by: ThePat | November 11, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is a huge story- here is why- it frees up a ton of money under the cap- that enables us to get some missing pieces or call up missing pieces. I've heard more whining about defense than anything...with Nylander gone we can call up Carlson? Alzner? make a trade? go after Forsberg? It's a huge story!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, huge story. And relevant right now for this team... isn't that why we're reading the updates anyway? Don't worry, soon it'll be over and you can all go back to complaining about who had a bad game, or trading Semin, or what wine you like.

Posted by: Chad8 | November 11, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Poti is doing his warmup drills from his belly.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:06 AM

Does this mean he's expecting the game to go into OT with us short-handed again?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 11, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes it takes a while for things to come full circle!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | November 11, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The Ovechkin injury and the Nylander situation have been fairly significant stories for the Caps. One WP colleague (Tony K.) has already called out the Caps reporters for failing to dig into the injury matter adequately. I do a form of reporting in my work and sometimes it requires some persistent, creative effort to get "Insider" information. I don't think that is an unreasonable standard for a WP reporter.

Posted by: zmega | November 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

The reason why the "Nylander Saga" is a non-story now, is that its over. Whether or not he accepts a loan to KHL or not. His SC number is gone. Thats all I care about. Sure Leonsis will still have to pay him some cash, but that doesn't bother me.

I personally don't give rats a$$ why it didn't work out either. Circles, Hanlon, Bruce, it doesn't matter at all to me.

The way I see it, even if it was mostly the organization to blame, Nylander reneged on his deal to Edmonton. Karma my friends.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Tom! Long time no talk. So my "adult beverage extroidinaire", what is the appropriate beverage for a day of celebration (5M under the cap) and remembrance (veterans day)? Anything that involves rum works for me.

Thanks to all who have served! I for one do NOT take my freedom for granted and am greatful for your time and service to our country. May you have a great day!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | November 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The story is no longer whether or not his SC number will be removed or is here to stay. The story is where will Nylander end up, which I don't care about.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

That's fine that you don't care about it, but many others do. Everyone has their different reasons. So if you recognize they would like answers and still see it as important thats fine. I know you don't care. And an FYI for you, he is not officially off our salary cap until he is loaned to the KHL or sent to AHL. So as of right now he is still counting, unless of course hes accepted the loan and it hasnt officially been announced yet.

Posted by: ThePat | November 11, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl

Poti has been making it his routine to go down early (insert sophomoric joke here).

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure the Nylander cap hit is "gone" until he's assigned SOMEWHERE. I'm obviously not a bargaining agreement expert, and I don't believe this has been explained here, but my impression was he still counts as part of the 23-man roster and as a cap hit until he's assigned.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 11, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: God knows I have plenty of sophomoric jokes.

Do you have any info explaining how his cap hit is gone? You might be right and I hope you are right, but others here said he had to be assigned first.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 11, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

He still is on the team - hence why we have no cap room...hence why I'm anxious to see what is going on! I don't mind being called crazy.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@thePat

I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to dictate the topics to be discussed or the importance of certain topics to others. Just expressing my thoughts about said topic.

There are more than a few people trying to get the scoop on the Nylander saga, I'm willing to bet. People who more connected to hockey news than Tarik. The Caps are tight lipped organization, and I wouldnt be surprised at all if the news is broken by any of number different outlets.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

cap hit isn't gone, he still is counting just like you said. Until he is assigned or loaned the cap hit exists.

Posted by: ThePat | November 11, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

His salary cap hit is not gone yet. And the NMC is not an on off switch, he still has to waive it for subsequent moves, so they can't assign him or send him anywhere he doesn't approve.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | November 11, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

fair enough...I was taking it the way you said I shouldn't. Don't want to argue about it, just wanted to point out people care about the other side of the story. And I know the Caps organization won't say anything.

Posted by: ThePat | November 11, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

gee Michel Goulet is in the HHOF but Dino Ciccarelli isn't... makes no sense

Posted by: joek443 | November 11, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

What I am trying to say is that it is a forgone conclusion that Nylander will either be loaned or assigned to Hershey, as the Caps have made it clear he will not play for the Caps ever again.

No, he hasn't been reassigned or lent out yet, but c'mon its as good as done.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, you'd think at least someone in the media could tell us: Where is Nylander now?

If his physical location were reported, it would provide a clue as to what's happening.

Put me in the camp of those curious to one day learn the "rest of the story."

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 11, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If he does not accept a loan to the KHL, if that is his only option, then the Caps will assign him to Hershey. If he then refuses to show his contract is voided. He has no power here, none.

At least by going to KHL is guaranteed his money. Saying no to Russia would cost him a lot of money and playing time, because he aint playing in Hershey because we wont dress him.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It is as good as done and he wont skate for a second in Hershey either. That has been clearly stated in the past.

Things will come full circle today. LMAO!

I do wish him and his family well I just think the "circles" description is too frickin funny! He has been very professional and has done what's best for him and his family to this point and none of us can blame him for that. We tend to forget that this is in fact a game and that these are real people too. I wish him the best but am skating circles myself in the celebration of having the same salary cap as the rest of the league instead of $5M below.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | November 11, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is a columnist and in my opinion a blowhard - which might be a part of his job description!)

Reporting on hockey injuries are and always have been extremely difficult - Kornheiser would know that if he followed hockey, but as you know very well, he doesn't. For you to claim that Post reporters don't do enough on the injury reports is akin to a comment from a blow hard, non-hockey fan.

I think Tarik and other s do a great job of on-site reporting what they see (Semin with a brace on his wrist was a recent report I believe). Without getting official word from a Caps employee, which they never will, they are reporting what they observe to us, who (usually) are not able to go to proctices

I'm done - no more from me on this subject - I would love to talk hockey, not reporting. I will not stand in the way of further blather...or create any more - I have become what i was preaching against...

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - the deal is "as good as done" - Apparently you know more than the rest of us about the exact nature of what will happen with Nylander and the precise salary cap consequences.

Posted by: zmega | November 11, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

They can't assign him to hershey unless he agrees. The NMC is still there. He can choose to waive it on a case by case basis (like going on waivers)

Posted by: mikebrady1 | November 11, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

TK doesn't work for the WP anymore

Posted by: joek443 | November 11, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What I believe is happening is that GMGM is trying to do Nylander a favor and get him traded to a NHL team, so he doesn't have to play in Minsk or Chernobyl.

Nylander may be a horrible fit for this team, but he certainly is one of the top 70 or so pivots in the league. GMGM is trying to convince people of that.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

if more people bet on hockey like they do on the NFL games, you can bet that the NHL would make sure all the injuries are made public

Posted by: joek443 | November 11, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Nylander already agreed to waive to NMC and was placed on waivers.

Why would Nylander do that unless there was some kind of agreement made, maybe not team or country, but an agreement to end the stalemate?

Why would Nylander cash in his only bargaining chip?

He wouldn't unless there was an agreement made to at least move on.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

how can anyone say on here nylander is not a huge story right now? its almost 5 million dollars off our Cap where we can instantly use to sign players or call up alzner or carlson. being sick of the story is one thing, but to say its not a story is just plain dumb. i log on here constantly just to see the final word on him - this has been going on for months - if not a year. he needs to go......

Posted by: capsfansince74 | November 11, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Schultz and Gordon are the scratches tonight.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Nylander already agreed to waive to NMC and was placed on waivers.

Why would Nylander cash in his only bargaining chip?

He wouldn't unless there was an agreement made to at least move on.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Because it wasn't his only bargaining chip. He agreed to be put on waivers, so the only thing he conceded was control over which NHL team he might play for; he would have to go play for whichever team claimed him, regardless of whether it was a preferred destination. He still has to separately agree to being assigned, so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. And as others have pointed out, until he is assigned, he still counts against the salary cap.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 11, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"how can anyone say on here nylander is not a huge story right now?"

--Agree 100%. It is huge. Suddenly getting almost $5 million in cap space on your roster is nothing to sneeze at. Gives the Caps flexibility to bring up younger d-men...or maybe to put in their pocket for the trade deadline.

No matter how you slice it, this is big. The Caps are already one of the best teams in the league and they'll be getting some flexibility to get better. I'll be very happy once I hear he's off the books for good.

Posted by: southside721 | November 11, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

But you also have to realize that we have been trying to deal Nylander to every team imaginable. Whether it was draft picks or other players, Nylander knew that there wasn't a market at all for him.

I say when there is smoke there is fire. Smoke = McKenzie, Hindle and a couple of other respected hockey geeks say he is going to the KHL.

Yes, I do read inbetween the lines and play detective, its what I do.

And I know he is still a cap hit, never said he wasnt. Just speculating on my hunch.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Please, I said that getting cap relief is big, I just don't care where Nylander ends up. I'm not going to follow him and his stats playing in Kamchatka.

Posted by: JSchon | November 11, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Capsfan and Lyle,

Yes, it's 3.8m (prorated) that the Caps can sign people with, recall Alzner and Carlson etc etc. But why should they do anything right now?

The team is in first place, why jump the gun? Keep Alzner and Carlson in the A for awhile longer, they're getting minutes galore and gaining experience without costing a dime in cap hit. Plus the longer the Caps wait, the bigger the impact that 3.8m is going to have. Hold that cushion until the trade deadline & the Caps can be major buyers if the need (and the right player) is there.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 11, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Also the longer the Caps keep Alzner down there the bonuses part of his salary cap hit begin to disappear so his cap hit is lower for whenever they'd bring him up.

Posted by: ThePat | November 11, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

sorry - last comment on this

I don't think anyone is saying its not a big story. My point is why do we put down TEB because he doesn't give us the answer we want when we wake up and log on...the answers will come when the the situation is finalized...you can continue to speculate if you like but what's the point.

And I agree with JSchon -

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I agree with you somewhat, however, I do feel that there is an NHL market for Nylander, just not under the conditions that the Caps want. For example, there have been trade offers for Nylander, but the Caps don't want to take back any salary. Nylander would certainly be claimed if he were put on reentry waivers, but the Caps don't want to be on the hook for half of his remaining contract.
Unfortunately for Nylander, to this point in time, nobody in the NHL wants Nylander under the same conditions the Caps are willing to part with him; nobody wants to take him on for his full contract (hence he cleared waivers) without at least being able to trade some salary back to the Caps.

As far as McKenzie's insight goes, there is definitely some smoke, but even McKenzie himself said that we've been down this road before with Nylander going to Russia so even he is awaiting some official confirmation on the matter.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 11, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to find it but I'm pretty sure that since Nyls has waived his NMC he doesn't have to do it again. It logically doesn't make sense. So he waives it, then is claimed by "X" team and has to waive it again to go there? That doesn't make sense. I'm fairly certain that since he's waived his NMC he goes where the Caps tell him to go. If a trade (within the NHL) or no KHL team is interested in him he will be assigned to Hershey and his contract is no longer a part of our salary cap. We all know he won't play in Hershey but he could be assigned there to get the money off the cap. I'll continue trying to find it in the CBA but I'm fairly certain once you've waived your NMC you've lost control of the situation.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | November 11, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | November 11, 2009 11:21 AM

Bingo. If I remember from last year, Alzner had to play at least 41 games to qualify. Last year he played 30 games and his calculated cap hit did not include any bonuses.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 11, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

pokerface: Keep looking, but those who've posted here and "seem" to be knowledgeable have said that it was one waive of the NMC to go on waivers, and it would be a separate, second waive of the clause to be ASSIGNED outside the NHL.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 11, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | November 11, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

You are correct. Once Nylander agreed to be placed on waivers, he wouldn't be able to then use his NMC to block himself from going to the team that claimed him.

However, like tominfl1 said, once he cleared waivers, he can still use his NMC to block being assigned to Hershey or loaned to a team in Russia or wherever. This is my understanding of it anyhow.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 11, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse